[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you promote role playing in your games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: bad tavern experience.jpg (622KB, 1966x2524px) Image search: [Google]
bad tavern experience.jpg
622KB, 1966x2524px
Sup, /tg/

Next weekend I'm starting a new campaign (D&D 5e) for a bunch of players who normally don't do much Role Playing (One player literally forced a party wipe when two players wanted to go to a bar after a rough dungeon to let off a little steam, simply because there was no chance of combat encounters). I've spent a lot of time thinking of ways to promote role play that'll still make for a fun game for my players. Tell me what you think:

First, I'm going to open with a brief overview of what I want from them, my expectations and what I think will promote the best play experience (They're not mind readers, if I don't start a conversation about what everyone wants it'd be insane to expect them to just know)

Then, after a brief history of this world I plan to ask them a Dread-styled questionnaire allowing very generous player freedom. Previous games starting with "roll up a character and write a backstory" usually nets me boring characters with no motivation and players who are just there to roll dice.

The first session will be a heist job that they've all been tapped for, which should hopefully have them thinking like a party of unique individuals working towards a common goal none of them could achieve alone.

Other things I'm gonna try to enforce are: no distractions - offering minor benefits to players who remain active and not distracted (Pintrest mobile app might claim half my party if I don't get ahead of that). Speaking almost exclusively in character, and only using character names (I've had games where 10 sessions in no one knows anyone else's characters' name).

So my question, do you think these will work, and what else would you suggest? What questions should I add to my questionnaire to help create decent, believable characters? Before you recommend not playing Dungeons and Dragons, my players want in for that name brand experience, I can't sell them on a different system.

tl;dr how do you promote Role Play at your table?
>>
>>52983175
>tl;dr how do you promote Role Play at your table?
Tell the players that you don't have any interest in running a murderhobo simulator, that they all need to work together to create characters that mesh with each other, and that they need to at least try to make sure everyone is having fun.
>>
>>52983175
I often play with strangers (often beginners who never played before) at my LGS as I don't have regular groups, so before the session start I encourage them to roleplay their character and to not feel shy or awkward, it's the how the games are meant to play and nobody is judging

Also, one of the system I use have a mechanics called "Fortune", I give my players 5 small steel bead at the start of the session. Each ball represent 1 fortune point, they allow them to have some bonus such as reducing the opposition dice rolls score or increasing their success. I only grant them more if they do good roleplay and good interaction during the session, usually, it encourage them to roleplay a bit more

About your suggestion, I agree that you have to tell them your expectations, but don't forget to ask them theirs to. Your questionnaire idea is also very good and it allows to build their characters.
>>
>>52983175
>Next weekend I'm starting a new campaign (D&D 5e) for a bunch of players who normally don't do much Role Playing (One player literally forced a party wipe when two players wanted to go to a bar after a rough dungeon to let off a little steam, simply because there was no chance of combat encounters). I've spent a lot of time thinking of ways to promote role play that'll still make for a fun game for my players.
Stopped reading there.
You obviously want completely different things from your games and thus shouldn't play together.
>>
>>52983175
Role play as a the DMrapist.
>>
>>52983175
No one sits down at the table with a new character and starts just roleplaying. Unless they've written out a goddamn novelfor a backstory their character is a blank slate with maybe a vague idea of "I want to play a character like so and so." You need to get them emotionally invested in their character and that takes time. Start with some simple quests with idiotproof motivaton - then let them grow naturally.
>>
>>52983513
I really like the physical token aspect of this. I think giving coins or marbles to signify the inspiration resource will help visualize what the players have. It's easy to forget a number on your sheet, but if you got a small pile of something (maybe poker chips?) it's way harder to forget. Also, the feedback of spending and receiving them will promote the free flow. For sure going to use this.
>>
>>52983175
It's a skill you need to train.

Me and my friends regularly play Zombie Cinema because it's pure improvisation and roleplaying game, with a single conflict mechanic of rolling d6 and seeing who has the biggest number.

It also changes the role of GM every turn, so everybody gets a taste of what to do, and every time we get randomized characters. Lasts about one and a half to three hours max, including learning the rules.

Probably not something you will do, "Just drop everything and instead play this completely different game", but still. Trying to make everyone learn the skills necessary is something to consider.
>>
>>52984099
Yeah, I think it's better than marking it on a sheet of paper, I really wanted to use bullet to represent fortune as it's a post apocalyptic game but I don't have enough of them for 4/5 players and I can't find more of them as I don't live in burgerlands
>>
>>52983175
At our table we have a rule if your character motivation is overly shallow you get NPC'd or leave the party. Not to say predictable characters are bad, just have depth like fears/goals and play to them.
2nd is have a backstory that both gives a reason to be with the party and makes sense within the setting. We usually handle this in a session 0 where everyone pitched ideas they like, we add details to the world and build characters together. None of that on your own time stuff, but it helps my group is all friends from back in highschool/college.
>>
>>52984132
It's definitely too late to shanghai them into a different game, but anything I can put in my toolbox for future games or groups is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.