[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What model to use for Colonel Greiss?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Nork_Deddog.jpg (38KB, 298x380px) Image search: [Google]
Nork_Deddog.jpg
38KB, 298x380px
I'm thinking about getting into 40k, and I want my first army to be Guardsmen. I also know for certain that two units I'm getting are going to be Nork, and either a model to represent Colonel Greiss, or, if I can't figure one out/use one, Commisar Yarrick (and just put a tiny hat on Nork, since Greiss gave his to him when he retired.) My issue here is pretty simple. I don't know what to actually USE for Greiss. Does a model exist? What's the price? What codex? If not, can you guys recommend a good substitute?
>>
>>52978191
There is no model that I know off, but it would be that difficult to make one of your own. A simple headswap from the Company Command box would probably see you off alright. Paint their hair to be greying and you're good.
>>
File: Humble Guardsman.gif (239KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
Humble Guardsman.gif
239KB, 500x661px
>>52978191
Oh, I almost forgot.

Welcome to the War, guardsman.
>>
Wow, thanks. Can you make any suggestions for other units I might want? I know Nork and Greiss are going to be pretty costly, but I'm hoping to center the army around a few Bullgryns (for heavies.) I've never really built an army or anything, so it's all new to me, and without an actual physical codex to read, a little hard to figure what's worth buying and what won't work.
>>
well greiss was a catachan iirc, so rambo squads for troopies, hellhound platforms for support, chimmies for transport and mayne basilisks to work the enemy over while you drive up. this is fluff-based mind you, no idea if it'd make a decent tt army.
>>
>>52979714
A brand new set of rules is coming out soon, one that will level the playing field. It's hard to tell you what to get when really no one has any idea what will be strong or underpowered in a month or two. I've never seen anyone actually field Nork Deddogg, not because he's bad but because the majority of IG players in my area are complete treadheads. You will really stand out as with such a unique list!

On the plus side, it's the perfect time to get into the game and experiment with a brand new system. Games Workshop will be undergoing something of a revival this year as disgruntled hobbyists decide to give it another shot.

It's a safe bet to guess that you'll need at least 2 troops and 1 HQ unless they're throwing that out too. With Greiss and Nork you've got your HQ mostly sorted, and for troops you have the option of more regular soldier looking Cadians or vietnam style Catachan. There are other models but they are generally expensive and metal. Personally, I'd go Cadian. I just don't like the proportions on the Catachan, though they are great for mixing together with head swaps and arms swaps.
>>
>>52979714
For 7e forget using bullgryns, they're really bad. If you wanna go the greiss-nork route, I'd suggest using the Col Straken rules but fluff it as nork. Max out plasmaguns and throw at enemy. Castellans is a good detachment to use if possible, it's trolly to watch a giant blob of 50 guys finally get whittled down, then just walk back onto the board.
>>
>>52978191
Greiss is mentioned as being "ancient and bone-thin", but he's also a Catachan - so he's one of those wiry old fucks, and likely has a tan.
Probably should be shouting as well
>>
Right. I remember specifically on one of the wikis it being mentioned Greiss would be standing there bawling orders while incoming fire clonked off Nork's thick 'ead without him even noticing, and that Greiss was thin as heck. So it's safe to use, say, a mix-and-matched basic unit, use another model's rules, stick Nork with 'im and call done? Great! And yes, Catachan and Chimera were going to be my troops/vehicles, but I was hoping to just roll tons of dice (Trillions of lasguns unleashing hell in unison!) and pray for the best - You know, the Guardsman's way. On a side note, does the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer actually exist as a book?
>>
>>52983642
It used to, but it's most likely unavailable by now.
>>
>>52983642
>does the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer actually exist as a book?
Certainly does. Regular version is green, Damocles Gulf edition is blue.
The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook (which is the Uplifting Primer and the Munitorum Manual in a single volume) is tan
>>
>>52984516
I'm just going to assume the Munitorum Manual explains or otherwise describes the weapons of the Imperium. Is it an interesting read? Are there technical document-type things in it?
>>
>>52984516
>>52984869

The munitorum manual makes me IRL mad. Too much winking and memery in the text, shit like that belongs in the margins, "hand"-scrawled.
>>
So let's say I use Straken and Nork. From what I understand, that's a hell of a lot of close combat brawlery. What other highlights should I snag, just to make things even worse on my opponents?
>>
>>52984516
>>52984869
>>52985151
Uplifting primer is comedy, poking fun at warpropaganda.
Munitorium Manual is comedy, poking fun at the logistics of war.

Both should be taken with a pile of salt as serious background information. They're like the Cain novels in that regard.
They also suffer from people describing weapon maintenance etc that apprently never held a weapon in their hands. Lots of small stuff that made me feel like most of it is just an asspull.
But it is kind of funny.
>>
>>52985622

Maybe a Priest (ImpAgent version) and some Death Cult Assassins?
>>
>>52986786

The text of the primer plays it straight though while the text of the manual is in on the joke, which really diminishes it for me.

Also, it's seriously guilty of the "All guardsmen are Cadians" when it re-used text from Codex Eye of Terror on a book that's supposedly Imperium-wide.
>>
>>52986790
So use the commander and Nork as bait for ninja units to cut down the enemy, or something like that?
>>
File: Emperor Protects.jpg (41KB, 455x406px)
Emperor Protects.jpg
41KB, 455x406px
>>52987069

Yeah, while hammering the Priest's pic-related hymn.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.