[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 410
Thread images: 33

File: sworderado.jpg (978KB, 2200x892px) Image search: [Google]
sworderado.jpg
978KB, 2200x892px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Last session recap >>52964005

What's the most non-standard setting you've played in or are working on?
>>
Is it just me or the Revised Ranger is too strong at low levels?
>>
>>52974119
>a front-loaded UA class
Never woulda imagined
>>
>>52974095
No real central world. A bunch of demiplanes where the sentient races live and the remains of the original world that got literally torn apart as gods fought for supremacy.
The demiplanes are just small pieces of tranquility in a sea of chaos that is the real world. Of course demiplanes with populations that large need more magic to keep themselves sustained so they hire adventurers to scrounge the remnants of the world to gather ancient artifacts and such to keep their fields green and citizens alive.
Bit of points of light, some post apocalyptic elements and high lethality.
>>
>Horizon walker requires a bonus action to use its extra damage feature
Why do WotC hate two weapon fighting?
>>
>>52973632
Sorry, I'm polishing the snek, but have a look at the WIP.

Suggestions and thoughts?
>>
File: Dendar Statblock - WIP.png (123KB, 695x721px) Image search: [Google]
Dendar Statblock - WIP.png
123KB, 695x721px
>>52974356
This is became an awkward trend.
>>
>>52974311
And rangers don't even get Greatweapon style
>>
>>52974119
>>52974311
>>52974392
ranger should just be wiped and made a Fighter archetype or something
>>
>>52974392
To be fair, GWF is the single least important part of Two-Handed Weapons. It's like +1 damage most of the time, I'd honestly rather have the +1 AC one.
>>
>>52974457
I just don't get what's the problem with having it as an option
>>
Hey all, OP from last thread here, have passed a bunch of your feedback as to how 5e could be improved onto Wizards with the Feats for Skills survey.

It seems like they do actually read the feedback and actually listen, so could be good for us all.
>>
>>52974382
>Denda
>Tiamat
>>
>>52974493
I get that, Fighter, Paladin and Ranger should have every fighting style available out of their options.
>>
>>52974542
I already fixed that.
I'm working on Legendary actions, swallowing, and her damnable breath weapon of doom.
I'll give it a proof reading before sreencapping my WIPs next time.
>>
>>52974428
They should just remove all the classes and make everything an archetype the race you pick
>>
I thought it would be fun and interesting to play a character with low perception.

It is neither.
>>
File: firbolg concepts.jpg (229KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
firbolg concepts.jpg
229KB, 1280x720px
Playing a firbolg in a new campaign tomorrow, any tips? I'm playing a druid with some healing and beast sense and locat animal/plants. I know it's pretty generic but the GM is new so i wanted to keep it simple.
>>
>>52974529
WotC's surveys are all about quantity over quality. Everything I've read shows that wide-detail feedback is taken more seriously if they see it in multiple results, since they receive results in spreadsheet form.

Basically: if /tg/ wants to be heard, /tg/ needs to set up and each give feedback instead of screaming on here anonymously.
>>
>>52974529
Hope you edited the feedback so the posters sounded less autistic.
>>
>>52974592
Currently playing a character with low perception as well.

DM uses it to punish me instead of create funny scenarios.
It's pretty lame, to be honest.

He's kind of a pyromancer and in his backstory he accidentally set a place on fire on accident. And didn't notice the place was burning down until it was too late.
>>
>>52974649
Firbolg seem to be hippy.gentle giants this time around.
I'd probably roleplay as someone that tries to see the best in people and is just a kind hearted soul until he needs to protect his friends (or animal friends).
>>
>>52974428
The issue with this is that Ranger isn't even the worst for identity.

Really Druid's are just an animistic Cleric, Barbarians are Fighters, Sorcerers and Warlocks are Wizards with different fluff...

Really the only classes that can't be absorbed by others are... Fighter, Cleric and Wizard. Who'd have thought?

The issue is most of these classes have room for their own unique abilities that doesn't work well within another class. Paladin's Holy Smite would be OP as fuck on a War Cleric, Rogues Sneak Attack doesn't mesh well with Fighters and etc.

Rangers one issue now is they gave it really shitty fucking fluff. Champion of they Fey should've been a Ranger thing instead of Warlock and Paladin.
>>
Alright /tg/ I want the most plant-focused build I can have.

What are my options?
Leaning toward ranger with magic initiate druid for entangle.
>>
>>52974714
I run for a party with PPs of 19, 18, 17, 14 and 10. 10 should be considered average but the way the game works means it's low. How would you suggest I make fun scenarios for that? It's a devotion paladin, by the way.
>>
>>52974649
If you check the Forgotten Realms Wiki there's some good fluff on there, most of it's a bit outdated but still fine to use.

Really play up the friendly generous thing, they like to help people but believe it takes away from the act if the person knew they helped. So that could be fun to play around with a bit.
>>
>>52974778
Ranger and take Shillelagh with Magic Initiate. Pure Wisdom melee build.

Also use the Primeval Guardian UA option to turn into a Treeman. Be the wise old tree.
>>
>>52974779
My character has a pp of 9, so just 1 below average and my DM treats it like I am oblivious to the sunshine in my eyes.

I mean, having 10 PP *should* be just a normal person. Seems to me like you just lack situational awareness that others have come to naturally learn as a result of being in a constant threat of danger.
Maybe because you're a devotion paladin you just don't really live your life with the same mindset of others in the group.
>>
>>52974552
They really shouldn't. Fighters should (and do) have access to all of them, Paladins shouldn't have the ranged option, and Rangers shouldn't have the GWF one. It doesn't fit the theme that Wizards is trying to emulate.
>>
>>52974861
Oh I forgot primeval guardian was a thing.
My group might be down for that.

I guess as a feat it wouldn't hurt to take polearm master.
>>
>>52974778
Nature Cleric, Land Druid or Primeval Guardian Ranger Wood Elf
>>
How is 5E in terms of ease of teaching someone how to play who has very little experience playing a TTRPG? I've been looking for a system to run some classic dungeon crawling. The last time I played a fantasy PNP was with Pathfinder a few years ago. Is it as rules intensive as 3.5 or Pathfinder? Relatively easy for a new person with little experience to learn? I do a game night every Monday with my brother and his wife. My brother's experienced in TTRPGs whereas his wife's only experience with them is a session of All Flesh and the current CoC stuff I've been running for them.
Or would I be better off picking up something like Descent?
>>
>>52974880
>You have to have fun the way I want
>>
>>52974382
Give her ability/movement to hover like the astral dragon.
>>
>>52974933
It's much more streamlined than 3.pf. There are simpler systems that do the same thing but not from WotC.
>>
>>52974822
>>52974757
I'm getting some good ideas for the character, and I'l def check out the wiki. Thanks
>>
>>52974880
I would agree with that except for the fact the theme's nowhere. There's nothing in the Rangers fluff pages that calls them out for specifically being only ranged or light weapons.

I think they should all have the basic styles but each have some unique ones as well. The unique ones should be directly related to the abilities of the class instead of "You should use this weapon"
>>
>>52974933
It's one of the easiest games to learn I know.

If you know how to read, throw a die and count to 30 you will do just fine.

>>52974953
Why?
I'll give her plane hopping, but why should the climbing terror snek float?
>>
I want a Shield, I want a Shortsword and I want spells.

What's the funnest character I can make here?
>>
>>52974933
5e is a lot more streamlined than the 3rd/PF autism editions.
It's easy as for new people to learn, and the character creation is a breeze, with most things working right out of the box. Allow the UA ranger in place of the PHB ranger, and maybe allow UAs for them to use as well.

5e does place more of an onus on you and for the players to be less distracted in other editions, the rules are streamlined but it also gives you the advice of "have fun, bro" as well.
>>
File: Arcane_Archer.jpg (538KB, 725x1086px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane_Archer.jpg
538KB, 725x1086px
If you have at least one player with GWM / Sharpshooter in the party, the DM should always increase HP on any monster / NPC that is supposed be a threat. There is no dispute about this, yeah?

How much should this increase be, though? Just max HP according to hit die? I've taken to giving creatures with d8 hit die a flat 7+Con per HD instead of 4.5+Con. With boss monsters I just multiply HP by 1.5. since that appears to give them slightly more than max.
>>
>>52975127
If you are going to be this petty, don't let them pick the feat, or nerf it before hand.
>>
>>52975127
Well... It depends. If it's just one character who is pretty powerful I wouldn't do anything, he invested a resource into having high weapon damage and that's his thing. I wouldn't make all enemies succeed on saves if the Wizard picked a powerful spell.

If the whole party is about the same power-level I'd give some more difficult encounters.

If one muchkin fuck has blown everyone else out the water I'd just ask him to stop for the sake of everyone's fun.
>>
>>52975097
if you don't want to multiclass;
Valor Bard
Paladin
Eldritch Knight
Cleric
Ranger
Druid (Scimtar, not shortsword)
>>
>>52975097
Eldritch Knight probably.

Or Paladin.
>>
>>52974950
Wow good job not having an actual argument.

>>52974992
Much like there isn't a fluff justification for no ranged Paladins, it's just noticeably shitty to play both STR Ranger and ranged Pally.
>>
>>52975127
My group has both a GWM and Sharpshooter

It's pretty ridiculous, nobody else can do damage anywhere near theirs, and they don't use any sort of resource to do their damage.

So I just give a lot of stuff higher HP / AC, and they fight a lot of monsters with resistances due to the nature of the campaign/ me being a dick
>>
>gm:there's a giant orb in the room
>me: do I know anything about it or it's nature?
>roll arcana (rolled 16, meh) you know it's obviously magical
>okay lads, let's stay back, I'll poke at this thing with mage hand to see if it's unstable or something
>as your mage hand touches it, you feel a rush of information coming to your head. You suffer a -2 permanent penalty to wisdom
>what? what about my gnome cunning, do I get advantage or something?
>there's no save
>welp

>later complains why I rarely ever help to check for traps and stuff
>>
>>52975262
>It doesn't fit the theme that Wizards is trying to emulate.
First, you don't say why. Second, just because it's the theme WotC, it doensn't mean no one should be able to play Rangers with greatswords.

>it's just noticeably shitty to play both STR Ranger and ranged Pally.
Pallies can't smite with ranged attacks, but the only thing STR rangers lose is 2 AC, as the class has access to medium armor
>>
File: 1425931996005.jpg (24KB, 280x375px) Image search: [Google]
1425931996005.jpg
24KB, 280x375px
>>52974592
>fun

"Fun" literally does not matter, as fun is (1) subjective, and (2) should not be considered a goal of RPGs. If fun is your goal, then you should not be playing an RPG, because there are so many things that require far less effort for far more fun. Drinking, ass-fucking, coke-snorting. Hell, fucking is free. And I'm pretty sure most people would agree that D&D is not better than sex. So...why play RPGs? There is more reason to play them than the stupid-ass instant gratification that OP wants. That's why D&D 5e has you level up to level 2 after the first session: normies and roasties want instant gratification. They want to level up after zero effort, just like in Diablo or Dark Scrolls or Skyrim or one of those other crap-ass games they play. That's why RPGs have been casualized to hell and back, to make them more "fun." But you know what? They aren't fun, for a huge percentage of the fanbase. And don't pretend it's a democracy. The kind of game they make is based on whatever latest demographic the jews who run the company want to pander to. "Muh traditions" is not the issue here: the issue is pussifying the games. Are you such a spineless faggot you can't even stand a challenge in a game that has no actual bearing on your real life? The DM is well within his rights to do this. If characters keep dying, maybe it's because their players are being retarded, and they should learn to stop being retarded. Generally speaking, the only way a person can die over and over in an RPG is if they are not only doing stupid things, but ignoring the advice of their comrades and doing Darwin-Award-tier shit to get killed off. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. That's how life works, and running an RPG like that makes it more engaging.
>>
>>52975294
That's fucked. -2 for a day or so would be fine, but fuck that.
>>
>>52975353
You sound like the worst person to play with.

God forbid people disagree with someone who is such a "purist".
>>
>>52975377
I'd be fine if he made me take a nice chunk of psychic damage and roll for a possible short/long term madness, but just "-2 WIS enjoy it faggot" felt very poor
>>
>>52975294
>you touched something
>but you didn't even touch something, you used a fucking summon
>permanent stat penalty
what
>>
Whats the dumbest dwarf clan name you can come up with?
>>
>>52975424
BigBeard
>>
>>52974382
Could you clean up your wording, it's a bit awkward as is.
>>
>>52975413
It's pasta, anon
>>
File: sceneminion.jpg (144KB, 814x768px) Image search: [Google]
sceneminion.jpg
144KB, 814x768px
>>52975353
4/10 pasta
>>
>>52975159
It's not about being petty, it's about keeping up the challenge without denying the "fun" feats to martials. They just love dealing shittons of damage. I just gotta make sure the damage increase doesn't trivialize the important encounters.

>>52975191
In my case I have two, one with GWM, the other with Sharpshooter. Besides, contrary to what I thought, increasing monster HP doesn't invalidate their choice, it actually makes them shine more in combat but that's to be expected. The rest of the party is definitely powerful as well, they are really well-rounded and have great defenses thanks to a bit of multiclassing and a 20 Cha paladin. I had to step up my game or they'd be steamrolling through everything.

>>52975287
You get what I'm saying, then. I don't usually increase AC, except when I have decent reasons for doing so. I do increase attack bonuses and saving throw DCs by 1 in all my monsters and NPCs, though.
>>
>>52975353
Do your wranglers know you've escaped from the pen?
>>
>>52975439
Would you believe me if I told you I used almost the same wording of the 3.e version, changing the numbers and deleting the word "awesome"?
>>
File: hands.png (98KB, 320x258px) Image search: [Google]
hands.png
98KB, 320x258px
>>52975353
Nice pasta, here's your (You)
>>
>>52975424
MacLargeMacHuge.
>>
>>52975276
>Plan to max out dex and cha AND get a feat
>>
File: 1478439022398.jpg (16KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
1478439022398.jpg
16KB, 640x359px
>>52975127
Don't.
>>
>>52975424
Clay Flintgranite
>>
>>52975491
Yes.
>>
File: 1493457103579.png (587KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1493457103579.png
587KB, 1024x1365px
My female orcs look like pic related.
>>
>>52975321
>why
There's the popular image of Rangers being either arrow dudes or dual-wielding dudes, but there isn't really a prominent great weapon-wielding ranger dude. You'll also notice that they don't have access to heavy armor, which is the one trait they give to all classes that they intend to have STR as a viable option (Barbarians being a notable exception).

Same argument applies for Paladins, in that they either sword&board or they get up in your face with a heavy weapon. TWF would be one of the better fighting styles for a Vengeance Paladin, but it isn't therefor them to pick, most likely because it doesn't fit the narrow image Wizards has.

Also, it's their game, so they absolutely do get to decide what they consider the baseline of each class "trope".
>>
>>52975592
Too late.
>>
File: 1493457692150.jpg (777KB, 1709x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1493457692150.jpg
777KB, 1709x1026px
>>52975620
And like pic related.
>>
>>52975621
Aragorn is the Ranger
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw waiting for a player and DM to get back from their normie social lives so the DM can open up the tabletop simulator server and begin the session

This is suffering
>>
>>52975294
Have you thought about getting a less cunty gm?
>>
>>52975620
Tall goblins?
Humans coloured green?
>>
>>52975620
>>
>>52975580
Lucky for me, dm rolled for all of our stats. Got 16,14,13,13,10,7. I can either play half elf and start with 16 cha and dex, plus 14 in two other stats, or go variant human, get the feat I need, start with 17 cha and 15 dex, and at lvl 4 bump that up to 18 and 16, then use remaining 3 ASIs this build will give me to get to 20 in each. Even with point buy this would be possible by going vhuman, starting with the feat and 16 in cha and dex, then using the 4 ASIs to bump each up to 20. Quite possible.
>>
>>52975294
Holy shit
Link that DM to this very fucking thread, I think we all would like a word with him/her, see if they can somehow defend their case / claim you're misinforming us.
>>
>>52975287
>>52975127
>this clearly overpowered option necessitates me to change every encounter
>it further penalizes everyone who hasn't taken this option and is already feeling useless
Y'all need to grow a brain, a dick, and a heart.
Disallow GWM/Sharpshooter or rein them in.
>>
>>52975620
And my female Shifters look like this!
>>
>>52975661
At what point does he have a maul, greataxe, or greatsword?

Narsil is a longsword, complete with the Versatile feature.
>>
>i dont like the fighter being good at the one thing he can do, deal damage!

but hes totally cool with wizards warping reality and ending encounters with a single spell
>>
>>52975353
>I play games
>not for fun
>>
>>52975699
Stronger party = Harder encounter
>>
>>52975491
The original entries aren't really the problem, it's your addendums that are awkwardly phrased.
>>
>>52975745
You don't have a stronger party, you have a stronger character.
>these four guys have 20 HP
>and the barbarian has 500 HP
>i should increase the damage of all my monsters to 6d10 in order to pose a threat to him
>>
>>52975415
Thing is, it wasn't him touching it. It's a dm dick move. If I had to do this as a gm I'd flavor it as...

Upon touching the orb your mage hand shatters and a bolt of power leaps towards you in the blink of an eye, a flood of information cascades through you mind, int/wis save (not sure which) or take a small amount of psychic damage and take a -2 penalty to wis as the information makes it hard to concentrate and gives you a headache. If you want to punish them make them reroll the save at the beginning of each long rest otherwise end it at the end of the day.
>>
Is reach on a weapon really as gamebreaking as previous threads have made it out to be? Like, something such as a really long whip that can go out to 10 ft
>>
>>52974095
Why does monster HP and Damage suddenly go off the charts at CR20+, rather than continuing in the same pattern as before 20?
>>
>>52975424
>When I first started playing, Hammerbeard. I was asked to justify it by the gm so I said that the ancestor of the clan used to tie a weight in his beard and swing it around as he fought.
>>
Alright senpai.
I've got a party of 4 level 11 characters about to likely head into the shadowfell.

What are some creatures and encounters they should have to face?
>>
>>52975699
Huh, it's almost like the DM has to adjust encounters to the party they run for! What a novel idea.

>>52975771
Dunno about the other DM, but I do have a stronger party. Besides, like I said before, I don't make encounters more deadly for the other party members. I just make monsters harder to kill, which is the exact opposite of what you said in your greentext.
>>
>>52975621
My first thought for a two-handed Ranger would be Garruk from mtg. He's very clearly a Ranger with a Greataxe.

Honestly I do think of axes when I think of Rangers and from there I think of both Handaxes and Greataxes but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>52975424
Brobeard, had someone actually use that as a name
>>
>>52975812
HP ramps from +15/lv to +45/lv
Damage ramps from +6/lv to +18/lv.

They both suddenly triple in rate of increase.
>>
File: IMG_0037.jpg (17KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0037.jpg
17KB, 300x168px
So my party just suffered our first casualty. We have had close calls before but this time our luck ran out. We weren't careless or greedy, but it still happened. Our group is all irl friends and the one that got killed had just started shining as an important party member. It was actually quite emotional as dumb as that sounds.

Anyone else had any moments in your games that had an impact on you irl?
>>
>>52975839
>these four guys do 5 damage
>this guy does 125 damage
>i should increase the HP of all my monsters to 400 so they don't keel over immediately
If you keep pretending to be retarded we're just going to declare you a retard and leave it at that.
>>
So out of pure curiosity what is everyone's thoughts on the strongest possible 4-man party?
We'll say all official content + ua revised ranger and a second list with all us content.
>>
Does anyone ever actually bother to calculate how long their Wizard needs to prepare spells? At 15+ it can take close to the time for a short rest for them to prepare.
>>
If I'm playing a Ranger 3/Monk X is the best fighting style going to be Mariner?
>>
>>52975812
Because otherwise they wouldn't be challenging to level 20+ characters at all.
>>
>>52974774
Let me tell you why that is bullshit.

Druids went away from their animistic Cleric roots when Wild Shape started happening and playing a big part of their repertoire. Barbarians focus on the Rage mechanic much more than the Fighters, to the point that folding them into the Fighters would be a pain. Sorcerers and Wizards are similar, but Warlocks have a sufficiently different spellcasting system that they qualify as their own class.

Rangers have no place because WotC can't figure out how to make pet combat a. not slow and b. not shit
>>
>>52975904
Isn't that only if you are changing a spell out?
>>
> playing in lvl 1 one shot campaign in a few weeks
> always wanted to make a chef based character
> roll up Halfling rogue chef
> DM lets me take inspiring leader at lvl 1 and reflavor it as inspiring the party with an awesome home cooked meal
> PC is secretly a cannibal
> plan on feeding the party flesh of the monsters we kill
> DM has no idea
>>
>>52975294
This has to do something more it can't just be here have permanent -2 to wisdom score. No DM is that hostile.
>>
>>52975420
Exactly.

>>52975673
He's pretty decent usually, which is what got me by surprise. He also made the paladin fallâ„¢ today, which ended up with him separating from the party and probably getting a quick death in a gnoll infested desert

>>52975692
>link him here
nah, don't know how he would react

>>52975791
Yeah, that would work as well. It was all just fucking poor

Worst part is I was actually very excited for today, see >>52965120
>>
>>52976009
I'm not sure. If you want to change one spell out, does that mean you have to re-prepare the whole fucking thing, or just the one spell?
>>
>>52975904
not unless time is important, which it almost never is after a long rest.
>>
>>52976007
You just listed the main differences which could easily be ported into a subclass for each of those classes.
>>
>>52976003
I haven't started picking apart player math to see how it works yet. Does the player math also spike up or something?
>>
>>52976019
>taking inspiring leader

why didn't you just use the unearthed arcana gourmand feat?
>>
>>52975895
Seriously anon? This isn't so hard to understand.
>these two guys have spells and should be worried with way more than dealing damage in combat, besides getting more options out of combat
>this other guys does a ton of support and shines by saving the party many times in several different ways
>the last two guys do around 100 damage per round, combined
>i should give monsters a slight edge to survive this
>>
Consider the following.
>Character is Charmed
>Sees enemy as trusted friend
>Character has been indoctrinated since birth to follow orders, even if order is "kill urself my man" and would not hesitate to kill a "trusted friend" if it was part of his mission
Would they be able to attack the charmer?

This is irrelevant anyways since DM evidently follows the "charm=mind control" trope instead of RAW
>>
>>52976019
>a cannibal feeding people creatures that are neither his species nor theirs
you are aware that the party, in all likelihood, routinely eats the flesh of things that are not of their species
>>
>>52976053
One spell
>>
>>52976019
Call it Beef Gurewitch.
>>
>>52976063
You can't change fundamental concepts like the massive disparity of Warlock-Wizard spell slots with a subclass, the system just doesn't work that way. Unless you make the more barebones fucking template every and have it go into literally all the details in the 'subclass'.
>>
>>52976026
Only if he's keeping it from me OOC as well, since after the session I asked if I would be able to make any sense of this information rush.
>no
>>
>>52976095
Stop replying, retard. No one's falling for it. Just because you're a shit DM doesn't mean you have to rub your stink on everyone else. Hell, stop posting entirely until you learn something about DMing from the sane people here.
>>
>>52976073
PC power spikes at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels (the first levels of each of the higher tiers of play). However, these spikes are so severe that players can take on higher and higher-CR challenges without dying, the higher-up they are. I've had a group of CR 11s take down a CR 24 monster, for instance.
>>
>>52976040
>Making the paladin fall rather than the paladin falling of their own accord
>Pretty decent
>Did shit like 'Lol -2 wisdom permanently no saves for you good sir'
No.
Just no.
>>
>>52976092
>he isnt an inspiring leader necromancer wizard to make all his undead tanky

come on, anon
>>
>>52976143
Then, shouldn't the monster math spike at 17, not 20?
>>
>>52976124
So this is just garbage DMing unless there is something down the line, even then there should have been some hint or something....

Can you cast Greater Restoration or something to stop it?

I'm torn cause that's a permanent stat drop with no hint of that even happening, I would have quit if a DM pulled that stuff on me.
>>
File: tenor[1].gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
tenor[1].gif
613KB, 498x498px
>There are people that think Sharpshooter, GMW, Crossbow Expert and PAM are fine
>>
>>52976007
...Good thing I was talking about fluff? Of course every class has it's own mechanics but why does someone who gets power from a deal, someone from bloodlines and someone from study need different mechanics?

Mechanically with the revised version Ranger is fine and it only suffers from fluff, but it isn't even the worst class for fluff. So when people go on about how Ranger has no place why don't they ever talk about how you could redo rage and put it on a Fighter? Or make a Druids Wildshape be channel divinity and put it on a Cleric?

There's no reason to remove Rangers from the game like people say.
>>
I just ban feats altogether, never had problems with SS, GWM or PAM
>>
>>52976197
They are fine. At lower levels they seem much worse than they really are because you can down stuff in a single swing/shot.

At higher levels when your wizards are able to reverse fucking gravity itself and all manner of fuckery letting the guy who's main power is to hit things hard, hit things harder, is not a problem.
>>
>>52976007
How is revised ranger pet combat slow and shit?
>>
>>52975127
>Oh shit the martials are actually DOING SOMETHING better buff all the enemies this wasn't expected
Better than nerfing martials by buffing all enemy HP, but...
Just don't.

I've had DMs who handed out +AC like candy and then end up having all enemies have about +20 to hit because otherwise they can't hit the guy with a ton of AC, and everybody else has no chance of defence.

>>52975745
>Give everyone +damage
>Give all enemies +health to compensate
No.
If a player has a vastly increased damage, it should FEEL like they have more damage, rather than you negating the buff you just gave them. Or else don't give it to them in the first place.
>>
>>52976162
That's why I said I was surprised my man

>>52976187
We're lv5. Long way to go until the cleric gets his hands on it.
>>
Just use enemies with armor, faggots. That -5 to hit will make them think twice before using GWM and SS
>>
>>52976239
It's not. It's only slow and shit if the player is slow and shit with their turns.
My player that is using revised BM ranger is just fine. And his two turns together are the shortest of the whole group.

The only problem is Wotc seems to have trouble properly balancing a pet class because action economy is so big. I think the current revision is as close as they've gotten to being good so far.
>>
>>52976227
>He plays without feats
Casters only edition. Gotcha.
>>
>>52976235
>here are feats that increase your damage if you're a non-caster who focused on ranged weapons or two-handers and they get more powerful the higher level you are
>no similar option for light weapon users, dual-wielders, sword and boarders, etc. to increase their damage, attacks, or tankability
>>
>>52976019
Cannibalism is eating the meat of your own species. It isn't cannibalism, for example, humans to eat orcs
>>
>>52976104
What spell or effect exactly?
>>
>>52976293
Lol, casters in 5e are not even that good in low levels, and it's not like that without feat martials are useless.

The classes my players consider the strongest are paladins and clerics. No even one someone wanted to play a wizards.

You people overreact.
>>
>>52976301
But all we have is different races, which is the terminology we get when referring to different humanoids.
Humans and Orcs can produce viable offspring, so it's safe to assume they're the same species.
You failed at pedantism
>>
>>52976258
>LEVEL 5
What!? My party is level 8 I would never put something like this in the game till level 10+ at a minimum. With no save at that! Is this the DMS first time DMing? Have you expressed how unfair this is to them?
>>
How experienced with the system should I be before trying to DM? I've been on the hobby for a bit over a year, but I'd say less than 1/5 my total playtime was on D&D and I have only played 2 classes at very low levels
>>
>>52976227
As a mostly martial player... I'm honestly feeling this. I think that giving Martials a buff of some kind to damage to make up for it could be good but the feats just shit all over everything and make it so you have to take them to be decent.

Current idea I have for when I DM next is to let players add their Proficiency to damage and just call it a day.
>>
>>52976247
>If a player has a vastly increased damage, it should FEEL like they have more damage, rather than you negating the buff you just gave them. Or else don't give it to them in the first place.
This. If you balance for the most damaging member in the party because an optional feat rockets him past everyone else, you're just nerfing the rest of the party.

Everyone in the party is wearing lead shoes. They're stuck in waist-high water. It's a challenge. If you raise the water level, they all suffer equally. The GWM has run off and found some floatie-wings, an innertube, and an anchor instead, so he can tread water. You have to raise the water level to keep him mostly submerged like the rest of the party, but now those niggers have drowned.
>>
>>52976334
>No even once* someone wanted to play a wizards.
>>
>>52976339
Very well humans and gnolls
>>
>>52976350
>Current idea I have for when I DM next is to let players add their Proficiency to damage and just call it a day.
This is actually a good idea as it makes the game simpler, even today my players sometimes ask when they apply proficiency bonus
>>
>>52976299
But that's not true. You might not agree they're on the same power level, but feats exist for all of those. Except for maybe light weapons as a category in itself. But there's overlap.

>sword and board
shield master does increase tankiness, because now you might actually survive that dragon's breath weapon
>dual wielders
dual wielding feat ups your AC, so more tanky

If you want to have a discussion about why some feats are less optimal, that's fine. But they do exist and they do provide benefits.

It's crazy though, right? How dare certain weapons be more powerful than others. It's almost like they're not all the same kind of weapon.
>>
>>52976343
The paladin had fallen about an hour before so I was afraid of what might happen to my poor gnome if I pressed the point.
>>
>>52974095
I've been playing with the idea of drastically flattening the game's HP and damage math.

Like, non-growing HP based on Class+Con, and damage doesn't grow either.

Ability damage I'll crunch the math on and give the players the new math.

All that would increase would be proficiency and ASIs.

I don't use the monster manual that much anyways, so invalidating the monster manual is irrelevant to me.

Is there a reason im unaware of that makes this is a terrible idea?
>>
>>52976212
>Mechanically with the revised version Ranger is fine

>black bears are the only beast worth considering initially
>everything you can do takes a reaction
>beasts never get magical attacks
>volley still sucks
>wtf is even the point of deep stalker
>natural explorer lets Rogues who didn't go Assassin get Assassinate
>>
>>52976350
Good thing fighters and rogues are given extra ASI so they have more opportunities to take more feats.
>>
>>52976398
>playing with a DM that lets you use UA but wouldn't let you pick a different beast than those few listed
Shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>52976299
Sword and boarders have shield master for team support. And, really, there are times sword-and-board can really shine over 'I do lots of damage!', especially if they know what they're doing.
Dual-wielders and light weapon users are the same.
Dual-wielders should only be used with appropriate builds. It just doesn't fucking work on fighter or whatever, but it can work with certain other builds. A wizard doesn't make a GWM build because that doesn't fucking work.

Feats make martials worthwhile alongside casters. Complaining that martials who built themselves badly fall behind is valid critique of 5e but no excuse to start complaining that martials get to be decent sometimes.
>>
>>52976376
If you're equally specialized in a different weapon than another character, it should be a difference in kind, not a difference in effectiveness.

You're making the same argument as the people who say "of course the 3e fighter is worse than wizard. Thats how it should be"
>>
>>52976369
It would make it so at low levels all martials are doing good damage and Dual-Wielding would even have that in it's favor.

At higher levels it's +4-6 damage without the Attack penalty meaning Martials can still be doing their late game big damage.
>>
>>52976398
>>wtf is even the point of deep stalker
deep stalker is better than hunter
>>
>>52976227
Some of their feats are really uninspired. I mean, I know some of them were dumb before (A feat to hold your breath, does that imply I can't hold my breath before???) but now it's just "Hey, here's a +1 bonus to the associated ability score. And some other garbage you probably don't care about."
>>
>>52976320
Vampire's charm person.

Really im just butthurt because I hate things that take away player agency.
>>
>>52976387
>The paladin had fallen about an hour before
Run away and don't look back.
>>
>>52976019
a halfling cannibal would eat other halflings.
>>
>>52976349
Just go for it. My first campaign was GMing, for 3.0 no less.

I'd advise using an adventure path though, for convenience.
>>
>>52976428
Considering it's a UA that 'fixes' one of the core classes, yeah.

>>52976441
Anything is better than Hunter.
>>
>>52976387
I meant post-game not in the middle of the game.
>>
>>52976453
Don't be a spoilsport and play along. Vampires are powerful monsters and their magical charm abilities are widely known and written about.

>muh player agency
Monsters are monsters and will try and kill you and your party. Don't take it personally.
>>
>>52976227
>I ban martials completely
Yeah, sure.

>>52976350
The best system is that everybody automatically gets one clause of a feat to each weapon they have, but can't take weapon feats.

Reduces the 'feat ceiling', increases the 'no-feat floor'.
>>
>>52976387
How did the paladin fall? Did they break their oath? Because that's the only fucking way to do it in 5e, precisely because they wanted to stop DMs from being able to pull that bullshit.
>>
>>52976334
>He thinks clerics aren't casters.
I don't know what to say to this.

Martials' need feats to be even a little interesting. Casters have spells.
>>
>>52976485
Anon said there is no point going deep stalker, if hunter is worse than it, then are he implying beast conclave is a lot better than both the others conclaves?
>>
>>52976508
Plus they have to intentionally break their oath now. The DM 'tricking' them (what the fuck kind of DMs are these) into breaking it no longer works.
>>
>>52976398
I'm using a giant weasel and its fine
>>
>>52976435
No, I'm not.
There's a difference in effectiveness because you're just talking about raw damage output. Not all weapons or fighting styles are chosen for maximum dpr. You sword and board so that you can tank better, so the feat helps with that tremendously, and even lets you shove people to the ground as a bonus so that you can get advantage on your strikes. That's pretty effective.
Dual weilding benefits come more from the style than any feat that helps it along. The main reason you would want to dual wield besides being an edgelord is so that you can have more chances to have your abilities pop off, most notably sneak attack for rogues, or maneuvers for battle masters. The feat just lets you tank slightly better as you're sacrificing a shield and helps you overcome the admittedly silly rule that you can only draw one weapon a turn with your free action.
>>
>>52976398
>black bears are the only beast worth considering initially
Wolf gets auto advantage a lot.

>everything you can do takes a reaction
I think you mean bonus action and that's only if you fall for the Hunter's Mark meme.

>beasts never get magical attacks
I'll give you that one.

>volley still sucks
A level 11 Ranger will either be doing 2 Attacks against one guy, 2 Attacks and an extra one from Horde Breaker or hitting 4+ Attacks with Volley. Against single targets they have spells and worst case senario they're slightly behind a Fighter if they're 1v1 with no resources.

>wtf is even the point of deep stalker
Stealth based and high round 1 damage. They can come out swinging with 3 ADV Attacks round 1 at level 5 but do worse the longer the fight goes.

>natural explorer lets Rogues who didn't go Assassin get Assassinate
Yeah, sometimes classes get the same abilities as other classes.
>>
>>52976509
Clerics are ONE caster, it's not every caster that is OP.

And I disagree, martials don't need feats to be interesting. Do you think the game is uninteresting from level 1 to 4? Do you think one feat will make the whole class interesting again?
>>
>>52976485
>Considering it's a UA that 'fixes' one of the core classes, yeah.

What? All I'm saying is that if your DM lets you pick UA beastmaster, you can probably convince them to let you take something like a bird if none of those animals appeal to you. Or alternatively just pick a brownbear and reskin it as anything else.
>>
>>52976538
>Stealth based and high round 1 damage

Why not just use a Rogue with Archery then?

Sneak attacks still average out to more damage iirc
>>
>>52976564
You guys suck, I can't convince my DM to use ANY UA. I wanna be a Twilight Druid so bad.
>>
>>52976538
>hunters mark meme
?
>>
>>52976227
>Letting Rogues and Bards have a monopoly on skill checks
>>
>>52976582
Maybe he's afraid of you going nuclear.
>>
>>52976582
>I wanna suck bad.
Druid are shit
>>
>>52976600
>he doesn't wanna kill the undead with the power of necrotic magic

what are you, gay?
>>
>>52976551
>he thinks all the battlemaster mains on 5eg dont start sith variant human
>>
>>52976592
Two weeks ago you wouldn't have this argument, and expertise is a bad mechanic imo
>>
>>52976019
You'd be a carnivore or predator if you prefer, a cannibal eats halflings.
>>
>>52976600
You're doing it wrong if you think that.
>>
>>52976625
the right way is going moon druid
>>
>>52976551
>Do I think the game is uninteresting from 1-4?
If I'm not playing a caster? Yeah.
Fortunately we generally start at 5.

>Does 1 feat make a world of difference?
It's a start. Certainly more interesting than +2 to a stat.
>>
>>52976592
>skill-focused classes succeed at the most skill checks

no fucking way
>>
File: PALADINS.png (20KB, 946x307px) Image search: [Google]
PALADINS.png
20KB, 946x307px
>>52976526
>>
>>52976642
>going moon with the abysmal non-scaling HP

I mean, I love the concept, but being vulnerable to shit I should outclass sucks.
>>
>>52976642
Land has it's own benefits and flavor. I enjoy Druids all around, especially since Volo's gave me Lizard people.
>>
>>52976623
Not him, but I wanted to jump in and say I agree.
I don't like the idea of giving expertise from a feat.
>>
>>52976247
>>52976354
You faggots seem to think I'm doubling or triplicating monster HP. I'm not. Generally speaking I still give them HP according to their hit die in the Monster Manual, it's just always more than average, or maximum for bosses. So far the party is still having fun, no one feels useless and they all contribute in combat. I guess I'm just running a high-powered game, or higher-powered than usual.

Also it might help that most of them are Critical Role fans and Matt Mercer gives monsters the biggest HP bloats I've ever seen. So I guess they're "used" to it?
>>
>>52976564
Lots of GMs allow UA ("it's official") and don't allow Homebrew.
>>
>>52976569
Sneak Attack fucking sucks dick next to Deepstalker. Level 5 most Rogues do 4d6+DEX Sneak Attack.

If they've got Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert, and have haste casted on them then they can do 9d6+9 damage max, that's about 70.5.

A Deepstalker with Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert and haste on them can do 5 attacks for. 5d6+50+15 all with for sure advantage. That's 81.5.

If you take away all of those situational feats and spells and/or give Deepstalker Hunter's Mark then it goes even more in Rangers favor.

>>52976586
On Hunters and Beastmasters the spell isn't ever worth it really. Hunter group attacks and Beastmaster's pet doesn't get the boost. Deepstalker's good with it though.
>>
>>52976670
What are the benefits to Land? Seemed boring to me.
>>
>>52976666
>Abysmal non-scaling HP
>Implying you don't get better wildshapes with more HP
>Implying that the starting HP isn't already fucking insane and doesn't NEED to scale
And also

>>52976600
>Twilight druid is shit when it has been shown to be the most overpowered piece of fuckery in 5e so far
>>
>>52976490
Well, I asked him if I at least would be able to scrap something from that information rush, but he shot me down and it didn't came to my head to try and revoke the WIS part.

>>52976508
We were in this ancient city ruin in the desert fighting gnolls, and one of them heard our pleas and stood down mid-fight. So when we beaten the rest, this one was pretty civil to us, explained the general layout of the area, gave us a tip that would come in handy and told that the gnolls and a tribe of kobolds were being controlled by a "goddess" and he was taking this chance to get the fuck out of there. The Ancients Paladin was reeeeing the whole conversation, and we had to really hold him down because he was fully intent on killing the gnollbro.
So the DM said he was going against the "Kindle the Light" part, "Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.", because that gnoll fella was trying to go against the violent ways of his people and the pally wasn't being merciful, kind or forgiving.
>>
>>52976680
That's silly. UA is just as broken (and sometimes much more so) than even some of the worst homebrews I've seen.

If you're this kind of GM, reconsider.
Speaking to everyone, not just you.
>>
>>52976691
Basically it's a Wizard with less spells but cooler unique ones.
>>
Since we're talking UA Subclasses, what are you guy's favorites? I really like Forge Clerics and Lore Wizards.
>>
>>52976699
>nuclear druid
>Once per day I can deal a BILLION damage
fuck this meme
>>
What edition should I play if the entire group is brand new including the DM? Someone told me 4E but that was awhile ago
>>
>>52976670
Land has absolutely great fluff over moon druid but even casting polymorph once or twice extra a day has nothing over turning into a big ball of HP twice a short rest.
>>
>>52976722
Forge Cleric, War Mage, Deepstalker and Kensai.
>>
>>52976716
And a worse spell list imho
>>
>>52976699
>>Implying that the starting HP isn't already fucking insane and doesn't NEED to scale

What the fuck am I supposed to do if I wanna turn into a Hawk to scout? I still have one fucking HP.
>>
File: 1491078300162.jpg (236KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491078300162.jpg
236KB, 1280x720px
>>52976725
It's twice per day, actually.
>>
>>52976725
>not killing orcus in a single turn
>>
>>52976743
What was the Kensai again?
>>
>>52976744
They're really different. People say Wizard's the one with the "Give me warning and I'll have the exact spell we need" but that's really Clerics and Druids.

If you know you're fighting a guy in metal armour you can Heat Metal, if you know you're fighting groups you can Spike Growth and shit like that. A Wizard has really good unique spells at higher levels, but I can't think of a low level one that really knocks my socks off.
>>
>>52976691
Early additional cantrip? yes please, Shillelagh? Yep I will take that. Sure, I could accomplish the same with feats, but I enjoy being a nature based caster. Given that I enjoy cooking, I spin that into my druid in particular. Hunting down all sorts of wild beasties in the name of survival and trying something new everyday.
>>
>>52976747
Then turn into a hawk. It's not like 1 HP and then you're dead, because it's extra HP on top of what you already have. And if you think it's a waste of a wildshape, you get two wildshapes every short rest so it's basically as many wildshapes as warlocks get spells.

In fact, turn into a flying creature that has more fucking health you idiot.

A wildshape might as well be worth as much as a warlock spell slot, so really it's like a full caster that also has warlock spellcasting.
>>
>>52976722
Hexblade seems to be the only Warlock anyone cares to talk about, good or bad.

I'm a huge fucking weeb so I appreciate that Kensei monk lets me wield a greataxe using my Dex score.
>>
What might you call a group of Metallic dragons? Bonus if you use alliteration.
>>
>>52976786
You got to use your martial arts feature on weapons and directly convert ki points to bonuses to attack and damage rolls
>>
>>52976786
Monk that they fucked up, admitted they fucked up and then sent a tweet fixing it.

Now it's basically the same as a Monk with no subclass except it's using a Greatsword for GWM and gets a +3 Weapon ability that stacks with magic weapons.

Personally I love it for my Ranger 3/Monk X I'm playing with a bow. It's really fun and thanks to Kensai's first ability I can wield my bow as a club with DEX and still get Sharpshooter damage in melee.
>>
>>52976819
Mary sue shapeshifters.

No matter how powerful they are, they can conceal their form into a convenient human form, and they can do stupid shit like stop time forever if they have a ring that turns 1s on a 1d4 into 2s.
>>
>>52976819
The Sparkling Six
>>
>>52976728
Send help
>>
>>52976728
4e's main point is that it plays more MMORPGish while incorporating dungeons and dragons elements. You don't need the DM to insert lots of background to a fight for a fight to become at least vaguely interesting.

5e has a simple ruleset but can prove bland if the DM doesn't put in effort, yet I find first-timers can have fun with it even if they improvise a lot of the rules. The game doesn't really break if you improvize a lot of the stuff you don't understand.

Pathfinder is solely for if you enjoy building characters from pages and pages and pages of fucked up content.
>>
Anybody have a list of ways of getting the party together other than meeting at a tavern?

Was thinking of having my players forcefully conscripted, set up as deserters have them escape the realm with bounty hunters on their heels.
>>
>>52976866
5e is easy to learn, run and play.
4e is better if you like tactical combat

>>52976819
What kind of group? Is it diverse types of dragons or just like all silver or mostly gold and a few bronze?
>>
>>52976806
I like the Archfey, but it seems kind of unpowered.

>>52976819
Sparkle Motion

>>52976845
>>52976849
Oh yeah, I never paid much attention to Monks myself. Until maybe we get Mystics that aren't broken when you multiclass, then I might play a Mystic/Monk.
>>
>>52976819
The Dragonforce (bonus points for synchronized posing)
>>
>>52976946
Think about it for a second. Why are taverns the commonly chosen location?
It's because they're places you can find people of all backgrounds. Now think about real life. Where might people of all backgrounds appear?

First thing I think of is maybe an airplane, or a bus. Some kind of mode of travel.

Why not place them on a ship?
Why not a festival?
Why not a ship heading to a festival?
>>
>>52976973
I'd say archfey is pretty okay with the extra invocation for eldritch blast it gets

Repelling blast + slowing (-10ft speed) blast results in enemies that can barely even approach the party.
>>
>>52976748
The true build is once per day, using Action Surge to dump your two highest-level slots and all your harvest's scythe into a single blast.
>>
>>52976819
>What might you call a group of Metallic dragons? Bonus if you use alliteration.

Scaled Squadron
>>
>>52976946
>Orc/Troll/Dragon/whatever horde is attacking the King's capital
>forcefully conscripts everyone who can fight
>the players end up in the same 'unit'
>they work well together, so the King keeps them conscripted and sends them off on quests

Easy hook into adventuring. With your example, just replace the last part with the King refusing to 'release' them, and have them desert. Then the King sends agents to go recover them, maybe they stole something when they deserted.
>>
>>52976819
Brotherhood of Bahamut.
>>
>>52976990
We could just go TES and put them all in Prison.
>>
>>52977005
But action surge reduces your damage output over the day by less twilight dice and less spell slots (Assuming you don't reach the highest levels)

The 'maximum damage in one turn' uses all of that, but that's not the practical build. If you face a creature that takes more damage than you can output in one turn without action surge, just wait until next turn.
>>
>>52977047
Anyone know how to do this without it feeling railroaded?
>>
>>52977095
The only way is to have them commit actions that would naturally land them in prison.
Starting them there works if it makes sense for the campaign, but they should have some indication during character creation. Like OotA.
>>
>>52977125
I'm more worried about them getting out. Breaking out seems obvious but once they get out I can't really think of a reason why they'd stick together or do anything really.
>>
>>52976819
The Platinum Brethren.
>>
>>52976946
>at the funeral of an old commom friend
>childhood buddies
>waking up hungover in a temple
>worked to the same people/organisation so they already knew each other, but each had a different job. Now they get a special task to do together.
>waiting in a line to resolve some bureaucratic stuff, like crossing a border, accesing a walled city or fucking paying taxes
>in a tavern, then the town is raided by goblinoids/orcs/gnolls/etc
>in the middle of a fight, come up with how you met later in a flashback
>>
>>52977140
Well that's the million dollar question isn't it?
People bond in the face of diversity. They need to bond together.
The circumstances of their prison break need to drive them together and they need to have an advantage to being together once they're out.

Again, looking at OotA, this is obvious. They're in the fucking underdark. They need to help eachother survive.
>>
>>52976955
Diverse, with only one of each type.

>>52976980
>>52977037
>>52977144
I like these the best so far.
>>
>>52976819
Bahamut's Boiz
>>
>>52977095
Have them be in a totalitarian region where the most minor shit is an infraction. That way they have a ready made adventure (overthrowing the regime).
>>
For a Greatbow should I refluff a Heavy Crossbow or homebrew something up?

Simple draft
>Greatbow, 2d6, Ammunition (Javelins), 200/600, Special
>Special- The Greatbow uses STR to fire instead of DEX, and requires 16 STR and DEX to use.
>>
>>52977095
>Your characters meet in prison. How and why did you get there?
No railroading here. Remind them that good characters can commit crimes as well, maybe it was self-defense, maybe they were falsely accused. Or maybe they're in prison for some other reason... One of them is a rogue who snuck into the prison to break out his brother / cousin / friend (another PC), etc.
>>
>>52974095
What martial archetype is best for a Dex fighter? Let's say for the sake of argument that I'm only using content from the PHB for now and don't plan on multiclassing
>>
>>52977272
as long as you aren't a barbarian you'll be fine.
>>
>>52977272
accurate pic
good filename as well
>>
>>52977272
That image is surprisingly accurate.
>>
>>52977219
A martial can easily obtain 16 dex even if they're strength focused (Fighters have a lot of ASIs, along with barbarians and other classes they don't rely on too many ASIs so they can start with 16 dex as well as 16 str and 16 con, assuming variant human and point buy)

Then, it means that you're negating the 'not very good at ranged combat' portion of the strength-based martials. ALL strength-based martials would use greatbows then, because their next best alternative is throwing javelins for 1d6+STR damage at 30ft range and only being able to draw one javelin a turn.
>>
>>52977184
Glitter Gang
>>52977140
>>52977178
If it's at creation, tell them you're gonna start them in prison and ask them what they did to end up there. Have an inmate tell each of them there's gonna be a riot, and a jailbreak attempt, and a barebones plan. Try to get each character to come up with something they can do that fits in their skill set that will make the attempt easier. Put the plan into motion.

If that's too much work, steal the OotA start and tweak it to fit your themes.
>>
>>52977272
Dex barbarogue fuck your no-multiclassing
>>
>>52977308
Well it's meant to be an expensive niche weapon that also uses expensive (compared to arrows) ammunition so it wouldn't be very common.

I'm just trying to get a balance of "fuckhuge javelin launcher" and "not significantly stronger than existing weapons", but doing that well is proving difficult. The other idea was more damaging with more downsides, ie: 2d8 damage but you can't move and shoot it on the same turn.
>>
>>52976926
>plays more MMORPGish while incorporating dungeons and dragons elements
Not trying to be critical, but I'm generally curious what you mean by saying this.
>>
>>52977459
I get what he means. I play a fuckton of video games, and anyone who does can look at a lot of 4e's mechanics and be like 'This is familiar.'

Made it really easy to understand when I looked through it.
>>
>>52977459
hes just being a retard. if you wanted to compare 4e to video games, it is by far most similar to srpgs like fire emblem and final fantasy tactics.
>>
What classes have interesting tactical choices? I know 4e is better if you want tactical combat, but what options do you have for it in 5e?
>>
>mfw going to post the v1 Dendar pdf, but the thread is about to die.
I'll do it anyway, what needs to be bettered, fiveggs?
>>
>>52977623
I hear the combat in 5e has gone back to move and attack, and move, ie bland combat again?
>>
File: Dendar the Night Serpent v1.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Dendar the Night Serpent v1.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>52977668
>>
>>52977668
Wat, the thread isn't dying.
Better proofreading and better wording of your own add ons.
>>
>>52977623
depends on your definition of "interesting"
Battlemaster fighters have moves they can use that have riding effects, Rogues have several options for their bonus actions. Casters, as always, have the best toys.

All classes can, to varying success: push, knock prone, and grapple (reduce speed to 0)
>>
I hate combat so much. I feel like it saps 1/3 to 1/2 of every session and offers no real value to the story or narrative most of the time. It's bogged down and clunky, and the you go now you go now you go turn order really takes away from having a bunch of people with interesting ideas and characters sitting around with eachother.
>>
>>52975898
with zero UA

Double Vengeance Paladins X/Dragonborn Sorcerer 4 with Sentinel+GWM, Battlemaster Fighters with Archery with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert feats using 2x hand crossbows. Paladins twin Haste for a whole party being Hasted, everything gets shot. Fighter's are Human(Variant) or Halfling for reroll's of 1, +2 Dex and +1 Con, Paladins are Human(Variant) or Mountain Dwarf for +2 Str +2 Con

Paladins and Fighters are some of the strongest early game classes so this is designed to stay on top of the power curve throughout the entire game. At level 5 Fighters would have +3 to hit with 2*(1d6+13) + (1d6+10) = 46.5 avg, not including battle mastery die, and Paladins would be doing +7 to hit with 2*(1d10+4+1d6) = 28 avg. and up to (1d10+4+1d6)+(2*(3d8)) = 40 avg. additional with a bit of damage nova. Not factoring crits.

By level 12 the Paladin would be +3 to hit with 4*(1d10+14) = 78 avg. damage not including smite, and the fighter would be +6 to hit with 4*(1d6+15) + (1d6+10) = 87.5 avg. damage not including battle die. Not factoring crits. By level 14 the Paladin would have improved divine smite and gain improved Divine Smite and his average would bump up to 96 avg. damage.

On the back end they have Action Surge, Second Wind, Lay on Hands, all the utility gains of Battle Mastery effects, Plate armor + Haste AC, high end HP, a number of saving throw bonuses, power utility spells like Protection From Good and Evil, etc.

Alternatives to Human(Variant) in case DM views it as optional and does not allow it. You'd do the same thing if DM does not allow feats, except Paladins would go for Greatswords and Fighters would use Longbows and play as wood elves.
>>
>>52977272
what's the thing about geese and gulls?
>>
>>52977744
the thing about them is that they fucking suck and are major assholes.
>>
>>52977459
5e's sort of combat encourages improvization on both the player's part and the DM's part a lot more, even if part of that is due to the lack of attack variety and plainness of attack.

4e works more with bunches of numbers and preset abilities that do a bunch of things that you pick up depending on class.

So really 5e's combat is more narrative but 4e's combat is more structural.
>>
>>52977721
If you dislike combat you're best off with a different system. Playing post-3.5 D&D when you don't like combat is like drinking lemonade every day when you hate citrics
>>
Redpill me on Arcane Tricksters.
Are they actually bad?
>>
>>52977795
nope, they are pretty good. Booming Blade + bonus action withdraw is awesome.
>>
>>52977272
This is 100% accurate, well actually no, I have no clue what the neutral evil bird is so I cant say. All the others are true though.
>>
File: Vestiges of the Divergence.png (183KB, 1843x727px) Image search: [Google]
Vestiges of the Divergence.png
183KB, 1843x727px
Okay /5eg/ how do we fix these?
>>
>>52977795
>skill monkey with even more utility via spells
What do you think?
>>
>>52976788
>>52976744
Seriously. With Silence (can druids even cast that? can't remember), Heat Metal and Spike Growth, curb stomp a huge proportions of enemies.

Trivialize martials with 22d8 fire damage, trivialize casters with nospells, trivialize hordes of melee dudes with spike growth (and maybe an ally with thunderwave and gust of wind). Good shit.

I find Moon Druids to be despair inducingly bad EXCEPT if they're the only front line melee dude. A party of ranged dudes or polearm dudes can make GREAT use of a Moon Druid damage sponge in front, but if you have a bunch of close range allies your talents are probably going to be overrated.
>>52976699
nuclear druid is irrelevant
>>
>>52977815
Filename
>>
>>52977815
neutral evil bird is the Cuckoo, assholes that lay their eggs in other bird nests, the chick hatches and due to being much larger than the "parent" birds, ends up pushing out the eggs of it's "siblings" or eating all the food, starving the other chicks.
>>
>>52977795
They're by far the best rogue archetype. They're the most versatile, the best at melee and probably the best at ranged too, along with having good utility.

They can pick up find familiar for advantage whenever they need it or mage armour for +1 AC.
They can pick up GFB+BB for more powerful melee attacks, often best paired with advantage.
They have access to various utility spells.
Later on, they get spells such as 'haste' which allow them to sneak attack twice a round. They also get bonus action to grant themselves advantage on an attack.
Their mage hand can go invisible. Their mage hand can do things as bonus actions, pretty much the same as thief's level 3 ability.

I'd say AT is 'generally best' but other rogues specialize more into areas - Swashbuckler is better at charming even though AT can already do that, Thief is better at item manipulation even though AT can already do that along with better stealth even though AT can already use stealth-supporting spells, assassin is better at ambushes.
>>
>>52977815
It's the cuck bird

It lays eggs in other birds nests so that the other birds raise their young while they go off and make more chads
>>
>>52975848
I'm not too versed in MtG but from what I've seen of his art and the wiki page, he seems more like a Barbarian with a dip into Ranger, what with the no armor, frenzying, and being a big guy.
>>
>>52975872
That's not dumb. What happened exactly?
>>
>>52977825
>Silence (can druids even cast that? can't remember)
Only desert druids
>>
>>52977818
>deathwalker's ward
the flight needs concentration
>titanstone knuckles
just a legendary belt of giant str with enlarge, just remember it requires concentration
>mythcarver
ok
>fenthras
seems fine
>plate
seems fine
>whisper
hmm okay, may as well make it deal +2d4 or some shit, why does everyone wanna roll lots of different dice?
>cabal's ruin
JESUS FUCK NO WHY ABORT ABORT
make it if you are the only target of a spell
bonus action to discharge charges for one hit
>spire of conflux
ok
>>
>>52977818
You just scrap all of this.
>>
New player here. Any tips on playing dex based battlemaster fighters?
>>
>>52977893
>Titanstone Knuckles
They don't cast the spell enlarge it's just the effect so no concentration needed.

>>52977928
Explain
>>
>>52977866
He doesn't really rage though. His whole thing is he's a Beastmage and summons animals to help him while he also hits hard. I've actually spent some time looking over it because I wanted to recreate him and was going to go totem, but it just doesn't fit.

He's really just a Strength based Beastmaster who spams Conjure Animals and changing his Companion for whatever's going to help. Which I'm still amazed I've never seen a Neutral/Evil Beastmaster who uses their companion as a tool for suicide missions and summons a new one latter. Sure it gets bad looks from the table but it works.
>>
Ranged Fighter (ek), is Medium Armor Master worth it or stick with studded leather?
>>
Playing a bearman grappler named Chavo Bearrero. Ideals are Honor, Family, and Lucha and I convinced my DM to let me bind a chair as my weapon (Bard/Fighter). Any other fun ideas I can do with him? Was a forever DM for years and now I get to play so I'm excited.
>>
>>52977951
okay, I was asked how to fix them, and I pointed out a way to make them not be overpowered.
>>
>>52977973
Is your dexterity 20 yet?
Do you have sharpshooter?
Do you have crossbow expert?

If you answered yes to all of these, then maybe.

>>52977981
I have no fucking clue what's going on here mechanically
>>
>>52977996
No problem! Just wanted to mention it. Thanks!
>>
>>52977981
What's the chairs stats? Mace?
>>
>>52977973
Medium armor caps at +2 from dexterity where as Light armor doesn't.
>>
>>52977857
>>52977854
Well that explains the broken eggs my sister was complaining about.
>>
>>52977680
Thanks anon, I'll start reading it.
>>
>>52977706
And disarm, move through enemy squares, a couple other things too that I'm forgetting.
>>
>>52978027
He's asking about Medium Armor Master which lets it +3 if you've got 16.
>>
>>52978041
>And disarm, move through enemy squares, a couple other things too that I'm forgetting.
those are in the Dungeon Master's Guide, though. Not the PHB
>>
>>52978041
Disarm for everybody is broken shit, better to keep it as battlemaster. Especially because you can never, ever get so used to an enemy wanting to disarm you that you can be wise to his tricks.
>>
>>52978022
>>52978010
nah just your basic improv weapon stats. He's a bear though so he has claws. Mostly I was just gonna use him to pin people so that the other party members can tag in. I meant more like roleplaywise. I don't want to be sololrandumquirky and I honestly am having difficulty for some reason coming up with something maybe a negative trait or something. I'm also not familiar with luchadors at all.
>>
File: autism meter.gif (126KB, 728x426px) Image search: [Google]
autism meter.gif
126KB, 728x426px
>>52978087
>>
Would any of you DMs let a Ranger get a Guard Drake as their pet?
>>
>>52978109
guard drakes are cr 2 and the limit is cr.. 1/2? 1/4? ambush drakes are cr 1/2, so it should only take a slight tweak to bring them to 1/4
>>
>>52978089
It's really not though, if you're not smart enough to keep a backup weapon then you deserve it and I can't think of one enemy that requires Magic Weapons that would reasonably be Disarming people.

Besides, if an enemy spends their turn Disarming the Fighter he's just going to pullout another weapon and cave the cunts head in next round. Unless it's a 1v1 shoves prone are a much bigger worry then Disarms.
>>
>>52978052
>>52978089
I was going to argue that they're additional and not optional, then I cracked open the book and it said "as a dm you can add these individually, or as a group". So they really are optional, my mistake. I'll still say that I'm fairly certain the intention is for any player to be able to do any of these. And the BM's purpose is to do them as well as adding dmg/to hit. Chances are you're gonna have a player to ask to do one of these things anyway at some point, and it sucks to say no to something like that.
>>
>>52977680
Read it.

Now, realistically speaking.
How would you include an encounter with Dendar?
Surely the goal wouldn't be to kill her... but to cause her to unleash nightmares.

I kinda want her to make an appearance alongside some yuan-ti.
>>
>>52978133
Fuck, you got me there.
>>
File: bearington epicness1.jpg (9KB, 318x196px) Image search: [Google]
bearington epicness1.jpg
9KB, 318x196px
>>52977981
Pretty awesome, you should have him get Disguise (background cheese maybe) and see how long you can trick people into thinking you're a human behind the luchadore mask. Don't actively deceive people, since that's against the Lucha way, just keep bear references subtle. See if anyone gets the reference!

>back when /tg/ was good
>>
>>52978174
Nice image
>>
>>52978145
"Battle often involves pitting your prowess against that of your foe. Such a challenge is represented by a contest. This section includes the most common contests that require an action in combat: grappling and shoving a creature. The GM can use these contests as models for improvising others."

Is a good section to remember. Really the game gives you a reasonable framework to improvise checks to accomplish something. With how "I Attack" the game is for martials going directly by the book I'm more then happy to account for other things players want to try but if they can do it so can enemies.

You want to try and muffle the spellcaster you've grappled? Sure he has to make a Concentration Save against your Athletics Roll to cast.

Simple shit like that can spice things up.
>>
>>52978174
You've fucked up on several levels.
>>
>>52978147
Three words.
Yuan-ti Nightmare Speaker.
Also, tomorrow I'll add a page of hooks.
>>
>>52978241
Right, that's what I was thinking.
But I mean, shit. I can't see a party of 4 realistically going up against Dendar and taking her out even at level 20.
Seems like a nightmare.
>>
File: ebin.jpg (14KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
ebin.jpg
14KB, 240x300px
>>52978145
>I'll still say that I'm fairly certain the intention is for any player to be able to do any of these

The intention is that you can carefully add these one at a time if you want to do your own epic thing. For example, if its not gonna step on people's toes, ie. no battlemaster, but you really really REALLY want a scenario where the bbeg has an awesome artifact, you may wish to let the PCs try to disarm him. This sort of thing is MUCH better if its reserved for a cinematic and epic thing, and not a staple encounter. Its just unrealistic and tiresome if they try to knock away the enemy's weapon every fucking round.

If its cinematic and epic enough, you may want to incentivize creative solutions. Like I remember one time the big bad evil guy was gonna destroy the party, but the paladin sacrificed himself by knocking the BBEG off the tower, and rolled a nat 20. Right before they would have died. Damn... let me tell you, many manly tears were shed.
>>
>>52978265
If you even get far enough you have a high chance if going mad and becoming an NPC. You need a full divine party. I think Paladins and Monks have the best shot.
>>
>>52977484
Yeah, but not all video games are MMOs. I'd agree if he said "4e incorporates more disgaea/FFT elements", but MMOs don't really seem to fit the bill.
>>
File: manly tears.jpg (5KB, 229x170px) Image search: [Google]
manly tears.jpg
5KB, 229x170px
>>52978270
damn
>>
>>52978345
That's actually a really good point because now that I think about it... I don't play MMOs. I don't think I ever have. So clearly the mechanics aren't familiar to me through that.
>>
File: how to bearington 3.5.jpg (8KB, 300x114px) Image search: [Google]
how to bearington 3.5.jpg
8KB, 300x114px
>>52977981
Can't believe you aren't a barbarian for more epic str advantage while wrestling for the win.

Bearbardian may actually work, expertise from bard. Its a very badass build.
>>
>>52978335
Hmm... maybe if it comes to it I'll print out some stat blocks for high level NPCs in my game and let the players control two each, an NPC and their own character.
>>
>Druids can't Wild Shape into T-Rexes

why even play
>>
>>52978461
polymorph
>>
File: 26124634.jpg (158KB, 1224x1445px) Image search: [Google]
26124634.jpg
158KB, 1224x1445px
>>52978174
>>52978418
Come on now
>>
>>52978461
>not wildshaping into a giant fucking shark while using investiture of wind

Do you even sharknado druid?
>>
What are your favorite encounters you have fought through, or run? I've got a couple.
>stole the giant crab from TYP, refluffed it as a crawdad since the party had just left a bayou-themed island
>party was on a small boat
>crawdaddy started crawling aboard, going snibbety-snab
>barb says he's specifically going for the claw, crits on it and does huge damage (half orc)
>decide the claw severs, the crawdad drops off the boat and swims away
>next turn, the parry sees a claw rise our of the water holding a big-ass shark
>the shark is thrown aboard the ship

>later, a flock of birds is attracted to the big ass claw they kept to eat
>one bird is very small... or far away?
>it's a roc
here's the neat part
>warlock dimension doors up on top of the roc, taking the druid with him
>speak with animals, ask the roc for help
>sure brah, I'll help, lemme just get this big fish first
>warlock and druid say OKAY
>roc divebombs the boat, followed by the monk bonking his bean and the barb throwing a net on his face
>eventually the roc drops the boat and it skips like a stone until it hits the island they're headed to
>bladesinging wizard fails his dex check somehow and lands in the water, swims up later
>>
>>52978654
Another one
>party going through labyrinth
>choose the path that leads into the ruined part full of creatures
>get several glimpses into obvious boss arena, party is lvl 7 by the way
>eventually exhaust optioms, decide to go into fight
>give them an NPC helper, because I fully expect this fight to wreck their shit
>a big room with a pond in the middle, and a large stalagmite rising up out of it
>surprise, the stalagmite is a stack of frog enemies
>froghemoth, red slaad, some bullywugs
>warlock gets swallowed by froghemoth, but dimension doors out. Tries to take its stomach with him, sadly have to tell him no
>monk then miraculously gets a stunning strike off on the froghemoth and the fight is spectacularly easy from there. Nobody even got pregnant
>the NPC got critted a couple times however, and killed. Oh well
Then, immediately afterwords
>a mysterious voice calls out, "friends! Be warned!" And a hooded stranger appears
>party inexplicably trusts this man completely
>a second froghemoth appears in the pond
>barb and bladesinger rush it, it disappears. Huh
>hooded man reveals he is a death slaad, the froghemoth was an illusion
>he gets a fireball off, casts cloudkill
>only 8 fucking damage
>druid dispels it immediately after
>monk crits it, rest of the party ganks him, used most of his spell slots for the secret introduction so left mostly helpless
And that's how my party of five level 7 characters defeated two CR10 monsters in succession.
>>
File: 1420986175563.jpg (511KB, 896x844px) Image search: [Google]
1420986175563.jpg
511KB, 896x844px
>>52978770
>nobody even got pregnant
>>
>>52977818
They're legendary artifacts. They should be overpowered.
>>
Yes, I am that guy.
>>52969032
>Not saying "I search for traps" every 5'
>boring.
>>
>>52978827
The slaad, man, the slaad!
>>
File: IMG_20170429_231934.jpg (934KB, 3839x1946px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_231934.jpg
934KB, 3839x1946px
Why is pathfinder player's handbook so much thicker? Is there really that much more, or are they just more wordy?
>>
File: but why.jpg (8KB, 285x300px) Image search: [Google]
but why.jpg
8KB, 285x300px
>>52978827
For what purpose?

>>52978892
>not emoting "I HAVE MY ZOMBIE FRANTICALLY JAB 5x5 SQUARE #145 WITH A 11' POLE" every 10 seconds til the DM lets you passive perception
>>
>>52978897
A level 3 paladin is immune to blue slaad infection right?
>>
File: Dwarf Rogue.jpg (70KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Rogue.jpg
70KB, 600x776px
So, does the doubled proficiency from the UA skill feats stack with the Rogue's expertise? I have a Rogue in my game that wants to take the stealth one and is proficient in stealth. Would that jump up to 8?
>>
Any fun ideas for witch PCs? The campaign is meant to be light-hearted, so I wanted to go for something fun and play a cute witch. What are some good race/class combos that fit the bill? The DM allows PHB, SCAG, and VgtM, so I got more than a few options.
>>
>>52977680
Have a read of the published monsters and word them like those, your wording really needs some work.
>>
>>52978920
That isn't just the Pathfinder PHB, it's also the DMG.
>>
>>52978933
No, expertise effects only apply once.
>>
>>52978928
It counts as a disease, so whenever they get the immune to disease feature I suppose. no paladins in my party, though.
>>
File: GET YOU.png (33KB, 899x955px) Image search: [Google]
GET YOU.png
33KB, 899x955px
>>52978770
> Level 4
> 3 man party
> Fighting a Gnoll army
> Doing some damage to it
> Paladin uses some moon beam of light or some shit, don't remember the name
> Flind appears
> Do some damage to it, think I'll be okay because I'm raging
> Get hit by Flail of Pain
> Down to 5 health
> Pally dumps every spell and moves the moon beam over the Flind
> 60+ damage in 1 turn
> Kills the Flind
>>
>>52978934
Fiend or fey warlock, fiend I feel is more thematically appropriate but fey is probably cuter. What race is cutest is subjective. Pact of chain for kitty cat. Aim to get broom of flying ASAP, and you're done.
>>
File: Wistful Selkie.jpg (79KB, 640x385px) Image search: [Google]
Wistful Selkie.jpg
79KB, 640x385px
>>52978934
Pact of the Chain or Tome Warlock, probably Fey pact would be your standard witch of the woods. Wood elf for extra hiding in woodsy scenarios, so you could meddle around and be somewhat sneaky. Take all the charm/teleport spells and invocations you can.
>>
>>52978934
Most any spellcaster can be fluffed as witch.
>>
>>52979045
>lvl 4
>fighting flind
Ooh shit, your DM must have some faith in you guys
>>
>>52979091
Yeah, it went far better than expected
>>
>>52978920
Pathfinder's is more autistic.
>>
>>52979054
>>52979074
Good ideas lads. I also just thought of an idea where I could play a divination wizard and flavor that level two feature as giving people bad luck. Unoptimized as it may be, a multiclass into Wizard for portent (and low-level spell slots for hex) might work well on a warlock build.
>>
>>52979163
Halflings are cute if you ignore the 5e art. Take the lucky feat, the UA halfling feat, and be the (un)luckiest cutie in the world.
>>
>>52979198
The art for the halflings in 5e is fucking horrifying, what the hell were they thinking?
>>
File: 1489501162285.png (401KB, 573x322px) Image search: [Google]
1489501162285.png
401KB, 573x322px
>>52979219
They weren't they need to call this guy and have him do their art.
>>
>>52976849
>bow as a club with DEX and still get Sharpshooter damage in melee.
Any DM that lets this happen is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>52979481
How so? He's using a worse damage die in exchange for not having to walk 5 feet backwards.

It's literally not broken in anyway.
>>
Can a warlock be effective if they don't take Eldritch Blast until 4th Level. I was thinking about going with a crossbow for the first three levels.
>>
Alright what is stronger a Valor Bard with Swift Quiver or a Valor Bard with Elemental Weapon. Both with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert?
>>
>>52979593
I feel like Shillelagh, Elemental Weapon and PAM is the correct answer.

3d8+9d4+3*CHA damage and a Shield.

Out of those two Swift Quiver.
>>
>>52979588
Assuming your DEX and CHA are the same (16 both, I presume), then you are going to be doing 1 less damage on hits. It's alright.
>>
>>52979588
There is no reason to do that
>>
>>52979640
Roleplay, not rollplay.
>>
>>52979653
>playing as a magic user
>its roleplaying to NOT use magic

Yeah nice one dick head
>>
>>52979661
>Still using magic
>Not using the cantrip that 4chan says every warlock needs to take right away until fourth level
>Only missing out on about 1d2 damage

Yeah... I'm the dick head here... Have fun being on the spectrum...
>>
Assuming for one reason or another I need my Beastmaster pet to die... a lot. Like the thing has to die everyday but I get it back on a Long Rest for no cash.

What are the best ways to make use of him dying? I imagine trying to buy oil/gunpowder and using it as a bomb is good. Also harvesting it's poison if it has some.
>>
So I fucked up and forgot to plan something for a game I have tomorrow. The Valor Bard is doing a trail for a sentient magic sword. The sword itself is basically going tog get in her head and question her and shit and if she answers poorly it'll make her stab herself or something.

The sword used to be wielded by a Paladin, but that pally got betrayed and murdered by his bro in the backstory. So the sword wants someone who will be cunning and with lots of guile but also wants to make sure they don't step on its previous master's legacy. The Bard is a bastard child of a noble and is stupid reckless. The trial wont involve rolls (that they know of) and will be mostly RP.

I don't know what questions to ask that aren't the generic 'these are for worthy people' questions.
>>
>>52979689
You're ignoring half your class features to spite 4chan?
>>52979704
Uh... yeah, I guess kamikaze bomb would be an okay use. Does it die anyway every day or it just needs to be killed?
>>
>>52979716
Sword asks tons of questions about the party members, how trustworthy they are, whether he thinks they'd stab him in his sleep, that kind of shit.
>>
>>52979689
>higher damage
>higher range
>magical damage
>rare force damage type
>no need for ammo

And finally
>I'll use eldritch blast when I get more attacks and invocations for it

So fuck you bro, you cunt. You are gimping your team for no reason BUT when it becomes overwhelmingly more powerful y
>>
>>52979718
>You're ignoring half your class features to spite 4chan?

Of course not, but I'm willing to forgo the meat of a class for story purposes despite what 4chan tries to ram down my throat.
>>
>>52979718
Warlocks have limited cantrip availability, it's perfectly fine to sacrifice a little damage for more utility. At 4th Warlocks get a new cantrip, an ASI (to boost their CHA past DEX), and can change one of their invocations to Agonizing Blast, so it's an effortless switch to EB from using a light crossbow.

This assumes 16 DEX and CHA, though. With 14 DEX you are losing a meaningful amount of damage, and warlocks are good for little else.
>>
>>52979731
The Bard does kinda resent the Ranger for various 'Daddy loves you more' reasons. That sort of setting the party against each other questions could work, especially if the sword is looking for answers that are loyal and honourable.
>>
How important is it to start with a stat with at least 16 points? If I can't get my main attack stat up to 16(let's say Dex) but I can get my Con or my save stat (Let's say Wisdom) up to 16 should I go for those?
>>
>>52973853
Yeah, Druids (and polymorphs) have more hp, but barbs and plate armor have better mitigation. Look at how much HP a life cleric can really throw at the party.
>>
>>52979487
err

which would you rather take:

1. disadvantage
2. an oa
3. -1 to damage
>>
>>52979795
The point is it's not really a big deal even if it is an advantage, he's an archer anyway do most of the time if he is engaged in melee I imagine he's using Stunning Strike before walking away.

Have you seen Monk damage charts anyway? They're under Rogue and barely match it if they flurry. I don't see any harm in allowing something that is RAW and not going to break anything even if it is weird.
>>
>>52979718
>Does it die anyway every day or it just needs to be killed?
Has to be killed for fluff reasons, has to do with the my Rangers background.

He's basically mind controlling creatures to exploit them but it doesn't last long.
>>
>>52979481
"Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage."

"Proficiency with a weapon allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for ANY attack you make with that weapon."

"Whenever you wield a kensei weapon, you choose whether to use Dexterity or Strength for the attack and damage rolls of the weapon, and you choose whether to use your Martial Arts damage die in place of the weapon’s damage die."

Can you show me at what point this isn't perfectly able to be done?
>>
>>52979833

>Have you seen Monk damage charts anyway?

The dumb ass charts that assume PAM + conveniently magic glaives though I have yet to see one be generated or found in an adventure path + GWM's whopping -5 penalties not being a deterrent? those ones?
>>
>>52979888
wait, this is about kensai?

Why the FUCK is anyone talking about the poor, abused monk if you're allowing that sack of horseshit? Kensai have no problems tying whoever with damage, because they can get damage just fine, with the same weapons as anyone else.
>>
>>52979833
Monks are dead bottom below Ranger.

Rogue is actually third best DPR after Paladin and Fighter.
>>
>>52979689
Who the fuck is going to stop you? Eldritch Blast is marginally better until it gets multiple hits, but it isn't like this is hardcore MMO raiding where you need max DPS.

Though you are forgetting Agonizing Blast damage.
>>
File: gay.jpg (447KB, 781x750px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
447KB, 781x750px
>>52979751
What possible story purpose could you be serving by refusing to use Eldritch Blast? You're a fucking moron.
>>
someone make new
>>
>>52975712
>Iconic ranger's iconic weapon is a longsword
>Totally not meant to use STR you guys.
>>
>>52975812
Because their attack bonus and AC no longer increases.
>>
>>52975620

>posting green elves

Orcs should remain porkfaced, ugly monkeys.
>>
>>52975987
Yep.
Make sure to go with the Hunter Archetype fo that extra 1d8 damage per turn.
>>
Should players be allowed to scavenge everything from the enemies they kill? Like taking their weapons and armour?
Say the decide to attack someone who should have been friendly at level 1 and he's wearing plate, they kill him. Should the fighter in the group get the plate armour?
>>
>>52980605
To the victors go the spoils. As do the consequences of victory, whatever those may be.

Think things through logically. If they killed a friendly guy and stole his armor, someone somewhere is going to be pissed. Murderhoboing is a good way to get put down forcefully.
>>
>>52980605
Actions have consequences

One consequence is getting that sweet plate armor early on
Another consequence is they'll get hunted down for murdering the guy

This is important, because if players ever think their actions have no consequences (good or bad) the game will go south fast
>>
>>52980635
The fighter basically on wanted to kill him because he wanted a higher armour class. His was already 19 (chain mail + shield + defensive fighter)

>>52980710
That's a pretty sensible way to deal with it
>>
>>52980716
>The fighter basically on wanted to kill him because he wanted a higher armour class
You've hit peak murder hobo. You might want to explain to him that he's not at home in his underwear playing Skyrim.
>>
>>52980716

What >>52980710

Said. If someone wants to murderhobo, consequences up the ass. They get locked out of certain NPCs, they become hunted.
If you just want to fuck with the guy, have him use that armor, next encounter though make them fight kobolds with Heat Metal that shoot corrosive acid. OH boy that metal armor sure didnt hold up long and you took a bunch of damage as a result. oh wow your armor broke and it has a -2 AC now.

You can even make it so the person he murdered is haunting him or something.

Be creative, if the player wants to be a dick, be a dick right back to him.
>>
>>52980435
You can get a STR sword and board Ranger going just fine. If you want GWF that badly either suck your DM's dick to get it as an option or dip a level into Fighter.
>>
>>52980716

Also whos to say that guard or whoever had that plate armor was just a simple level 1 NPC, plate isnt easy to come by and it would make sense for them to be an experienced adventurer or fighter. Well respected in their community, people know what that armor looks like (its rare to have a full set of plate) So anyone talking to the person would recognize "hey isnt that the armor of Sir SuchAndSuch? How did you get it? and they are immediately distrusted. If they continue to murderhobo then obviously change their alignments and just make it a gradual thing, their actions have more and more consequences and make it worse and worse for them.

That being said, a GM is under no obligation to give the party loot, oh you killed them? Well thats nice, that armor is way too small for you, its rusted, old, it looked like it was on its last leg and impaling him with your sword destroyed it, you could try and get it fixed but its going to cost you gold. Oh you tried "mending" it, well youre not a true blacksmith and can sort of men d strands of it together, its thinner at some parts as a result, -3 to its AC, and it looks very shoddy, but people who knew the guy you murdered woudl still recognize it.

Etc.
>>
>>52980435

Thats debatable. The most iconic DND ranger is Drizzt and he used 2 scimitars.

Who is this iconic ranger youre talking about?
>>
>>52980872
He's referring to the Aragorn example another anon gave, follow the reply chain.

Also, the only person who actually gave a decent argument for GWF access for Rangers was the anon who brought up Garruk.
>>
We're going to need a new thread. Don't let it die again.
>>
>>52980886
Garruk guy here. Another example would be the Dwarven Rangers from Warhammer. Dwarves and Half-Orcs actually make decent STR Rangers and it's the first weapon I think of for them.

I think it's one of those things that doesn't need to be in the books but I can't see any DM flat out refusing to let you take it if you ask nicely.
>>
>>52980605
Firstly, someone in plate armour might be a bit of a challenge.
Secondly, it's only plate. That's +1 AC. That's like a magic item, except that a magic +1 AC item is more valuable because a player will inevitably get plate sooner or later, but not a +1 AC item.
Then plate armour might not even fit. It might cost something to get it reforged for them.
Then, obviously, there will be consequences.
>>
>>52980872
Rangers aren't based on drizzle anyway. He's (mostly) a drow fighter.
>>
>>52980605
Good luck to level 1's taking on a Knight

He's got 52 hp and two attacks dealing 10 damage each hit. So each turn he takes down two level 1's
>>
>>52980991
Yeah I think most times he's been stated he's only had like 1 level of Ranger and the rest in Fighter. They really should get a real character they can use to represent each class, just for little fluff pieces in books and stuff.

>>52980993
>Not a Human Barbarian with Tough for 17HP and damage resist at level 1

Are you a fag?
>>
>>52980993
Level 1s who know what they're doing could easily take him down, assuming he doesn't have a trick up his sleeve or an ability.
Especially if they get surprise.

If they get surprise, they can grapple him with two seperate characters, shove him prone and then just beat him up and if you have 4 players you can quite reliably kill him, I'd say.
>>
New bread >>52981010
>>
>>52981007
Then attack the other players
>>52981008
Presumably they are just talking with the fellow, they can't get surprise.

It's just not worth it considering the risk. Not only that, its likely not all the party would want to participate in something so distasteful
>>
>>52976538
>>beasts never get magical attacks
>I'll give you that one.
But then, rangers never get magical attacks either.
>>
>>52981137
I agree there's lots of ways to stop the party killing a Knight and it shouldn't happen at level 1, but I think you're over estimating him 1v4 or even 3.

Sure he gets 2 attacks per round but chances are anyone with 12+ DEX will go before him, he doesn't have Athletics proficiency to stop shoves and disarms and a well placed spell can effectively ruin his day.

A caster spamming Magic Missile/Guiding Bolt/Frostbite while martials shove him prone, grapple and kick his ass could probably win. Though how often does a lone knight walking around out of a city get ambushed by a group of 4 murderhobos? It just won't happen.
>>
>>52981241

And why wouldnt the knight call for help?

Why wouldnt other knights recognize his armor and insignias and therefor arrest them? At best they stole his armor, at worst they murdered him. If they can talk their way out of it, they would take the plate armor away regardless.
>>
>>52981254
Once again, of course this won't happen. In a whiteroom fight 1v1 though the party will likely win.

As you say any reasonable time you encounter a Knight will be in a city, with friends or he'll likely be mounted and kick ass.

Though I'm curious about how many insignia's are really on a set of plate armour, I imagine it couldn't be too hard to beat them out with a hammer, pain them or wear a thin shirt over it.
>>
>>52976728
4e is fine if you have it already. 5e is good. Easy to learn. Easy to teach.
>>52976926
>You don't need the DM to insert lots of background to a fight for a fight to become at least vaguely interesting.
>4E fights in a plain white room.
>Ever ok.
You're the worst.
>>52977178
>people bond in the face of diversity
It's adversity
>>52977184
Platinum Posse. Alloyed Allies. >>52977459
You can just ignore what he said about 4e, really.
>>
>>52981279

Yeah but a clever GM wouldnt specifically tell them there are distinguishing features on it, if they came up with it themselves sure, but if they forgot about it or didnt think about it then there is no reason for the GM to tell them until an adversarial knight notices them.
>>
>>52977973
Do you want to spend a feat on +1 AC? I don't.
Thread posts: 410
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.