[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted but playable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Exalted05.png (385KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Exalted05.png
385KB, 666x1000px
Hey guys, i've got a confession.
I like... Exalted. Like really like. I like idea of playing totally overpowered characters with goals to change the world.

The only thing i dont really like about Exalted is its rules. Hundreds upon hundreds of charms, boons, spells, martial arts, invocations, advanteges and mutations. And evrything add up to simply throwing bigger and bigger pools, or not needing to roll at all couse of atomatic succeses.
Each of those alone is Insignificant. You need to combo it with 10 other components to make your character work. I dont like.

I started to think about alternative mechanics of Exalted more to my liking, and i came up with few ideas.

Firstly you create your character by combining few modules (3-5?). Each module gives you starting abilities and determines your advancments. Something like Apocalypse World playbooks, but you combine few of them to make stronger character. Modules are combinations of boons/charms and equipment options.
I want design it so that every option aviable to you have more weight to it and defines character more strongly.

Besides it i want to simplify rules, probably transforming it more to something similar to Blades in the Darks.

Wanna hear more?
>>
>>52953727
Go for it. Also, I don't know Blades in the Darks, can you explain what sort of game is it ?
>>
>>52953727

Exalted is perfectly playable as is in the current edition, but if you want something rules light you have a few options skippy:

1) Go back to 1e and refine some things. Rules are simple as piss and can work fairly decently if you want something more rules light.

2) If you want less tracking of charms, Godbound/Cortex Command are good alternative systems.

Also instead of asking "Do you want to hear more?" my own counterpoint question is "Why the fuck are you asking this and not showing a proof of concept?"
>>
>>52953839
1) I dont do archeology

2) Didn't like Godbound, especially extremely depressing world and weird concept of heavens.
Dont know Cortex, is this have somethnig to do with that marvel Heroic game?

Cos sometimes before i start working on somethning i like to post bare concept on internet to hear other people opinions.

More info coming trough...
>>
>>52953938
>especially extremely depressing world and weird concept of heavens.
So, what do you like about Exalted, again?
>>
>>52953938

You don't have to like the fluff, I'm talking about using the system.

Several people used it as a rules replacement for Exalted with decent success.
>>
I plan to create some of really standard modules like "Ultimate Warrior" or "Sage" but i'm also going for more advantage based modules like "God-King" that lets you start as sovereign, "Golden General" for peaple that like having army and "Thunderclaw Capitan" that lets you start with artifact airship and crew.

I think that i will start with the last one, i have pretty good idea how it woud look like and would be a great example.

There will be less attributes:
Might
Agility
Knowledge
Charisma
Essence

Yes, i'm going with essence as standard attribute, used mostly for magic.
>>
>>52954090
>Yes, i'm going with essence as standard attribute, used mostly for magic.
I think that's a bad idea. Like, magic is sort of what the Exlted do, you know? It's part of being an Exalt. I think 3E has it right with Essence raising automatically when a certain amount of experience is reached.
>>
>>52949052

thanks
(last time I checked the op link it was the non-searchable version, I'd never have found it there;)
>>
>>52953727
Say you exalted as an infernal with a coadjutor of szoreny, take the mutation "twisted sense" as "mirrored vision"

how long do you think it'd take to get used to it?(which of course involves paying back the 4xp fluffed as more or less buying 'learned to function like this so well I don't even notice it anymore') I'm thinking of pitching training time as a specialty, do you think that'd fly? and for the effect..-1 to -2 internal penalty on everything involving vision and hand-eye coordination for left/right motions until it's bought off?
>>
>>52956519
how many hours a day does training time assume you're spending on it?
>>
>>52953727
Are you talking 3e? Because right now there are a bunch of charms, but in creation you can only do essence 1 so thats like, around 7 or 8 per ability, there are only a handful of merits, like 20 spells, and advantages/mutations don't really exist.
>>
>>52957649

Supernal Abilities are a thing. There's on average around 30 charms per ability.
>>
>>52953727
There are fewer charms in Exaled than there are spells in DnD. It's just that you're not given the option of playing an effective character that doesn't have them. Keep trying; it'll click, don't worry.
>>
>>52957678
And even with min maxing you still get 14 at the absolute most. Supernal doesn't really change anything.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.