[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

XCOM: The Board Game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: XCOM-TBG.jpg (558KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
XCOM-TBG.jpg
558KB, 600x600px
I've been on an XCOM: The Board Game kick recently, and decided to share because why the fuck not.

One, it's good. If you don't know what it is, edumacate yourself: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163602/xcom-board-game . For the "cannot into links" crowd, XCOM:TBG is a tense cooperative game where 1-4 (yes you can play solo, I don't recommend it tho) players try to defeat the alien invaders as everyone's favorite defenders of humanity. Each person takes on a role - Squad Leader, Chief Scientist, Commander, and Central Officer - and needs to make decisions under time pressure while absorbing new information. You spend a brief timed phase in locking in your decisions as the timer ticks down mercilessly, and then a resolution phase using all of your wits and resources compensating for your poor, time-pressured decisions.

Two. So it's tense. It's pretty hard, as well. The aliens keep coming, you will fail rolls, your interceptors will get shot down, your squads will get wiped, and you'll need to suck it up and figure out how to hold on for the final push to win the game. There's been many a "that's XCOM baby" moment where a sure thing turned into a route, and we had to dig into our resources deeper or push our luck harder to stay in the game.

But three....once you've figured it out, it's kind of...figured out. My friends and I are now lean a lean, efficient, x-ray murdering machine. We have the roles down cold, our turns largely planned out ahead of time, we know how to rapidly evaluate the random elements the game throws at us. It's still pretty fun to play, and it was an absolute blast getting there, but the novelty has worn off. While the specifics vary, the patterns are pretty set. I'd love something like that initial period of mastery and discovery again, but don't really know where to look.

So...yeah. Experiences with this game? Questions? Other similar board games? Tabletops that offer a similar experience (that would be amazing)?
>>
>>52940610
>lean, efficient, x-ray murdering machine
BY THE NUMBERS
>>
>>52940610

As far as I know, XCOM is pretty unique in terms of providing an asymmetrical app-enabled coop experience.

It's a shame, because I love the design behind it. It's a really clever adaptation of the themes of the game to a tabletop format, properly making use of the advantages of board games and the social side of gaming to explore a different aspect of the XCOM universe.

I just wish they'd done an Enemy Within expansion for it. Imagine having all that alongside a traitor mechanic, someone within the group having to fulfil goals according to a secondary agenda set by EXALT. It'd be fucking amazing.
>>
>>52942955
They did have an expansion, but no traitor player. It'd be too easy for an enemy player to sink the group just by overspending.

I haven't played it, but from what I've read the Exalt mechanics and new base damage stuff is terrifying...but I'm not sure it mixes up the dynamic enough. On the other hand, you get MEC Minis, which is great.
>>
>>52940610
Bump.
>>
>>52940610

Space Alert!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38453/space-alert

XCom the board game is sort of Space Alert with a XCom universe skin on it. The concept is different: you're on a spaceship and need to survive for 10 minutes while you scan a sector while aliens try to blow you up.

The mechanics are different too, but the "not enough time or resources" core is exactly the same. I think you'll love it.
>>
>>52948232
Thanks, that's pretty similar.

I'm a little surprised that nothing else uses an app. I mean, it's such an obvious move, and even XCOM doesn't make the most of it, really.
>>
>>52949473

Space alert comes out of the box with CD, but there are numerous free apps for android and iOS that will randomly generate missions for you. It's not quite the same level of complexity or interactivity, but there you go.

Honestly though, I think that the game+app thing is rare for a reason. Either your board game should be playable without a computer program, or you should just have a computer program.
>>
>>52940610
>Other similar board games? Tabletops that offer a similar experience (that would be amazing)?

You might look at Level 7: Omega Protocol and expansion. (Avoid their previous game 'Escape' - it's no where near as good as Omega.)

If you can find a copy, the Gears of War game is also a solid 4 player game.
>>
The Captain is Dead

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159503/captain-dead

5% Win Chance on average.
>>
>>52951688
>>52951579
Shiny. Danke.

>>52949725
I don't really agree. Board games have a physical presence and shared social space that video games lack, but are limited in the depth of the mechanics and how they can surprise and adapt to the player based on simple dice rolls and cards. Using a computer program to supplement a board game is really a best of both worlds approach.

Related: what about more straightforward tabletop with something closer to XCOM:TBG's premise? Anything like that exist?
>>
>>52940610
>have this game
>like playing it
>played it with friends once
>friends don't want to play it again because it's "too stressful"
Help me. I'm trapped in eurogame hell.
>>
>>52940610
It is an excellent game, but after so many hours of play I don't feel challenged unless I either play it with people I haven't played it with before, or everybody rolls terribly on the first round. The most interesting part is that you learn to play the game as a group, since you all need to work as a coherent team.

I very much liked the expansion, because it makes the game much harder in ways that don't feel arbitrary. The expansion also changes how the game feels in fairly subtle ways. For example as the chief scientist you no longer get to see the whole deck during the game. You are not guaranteed to ever see the pieces of your favourite combo, so you need to adapt to what you draw more strongly.

I also like the game for the important life lesson it taught me: any decision is better than no decision. If you play the game for the first time and panic because you can't figure out what is the best decision, just make any decision. If you make the choice in a timely manner you should have time to correct it at the end of the timed phase if you really feel it is the wrong choice.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.