[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shield Combat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Adamantian Dwarf-M.jpg (93KB, 563x713px) Image search: [Google]
Adamantian Dwarf-M.jpg
93KB, 563x713px
My last shield thread died before I was ready. Perhaps we can discuss it a little more?

So from what I gathered previously, shield bashing is necessarily done with the lip- not the flat- of the shield. Are there still circumstances when you would slam an enemy with the flat of the shield? Ramming for instance?

Heater shields are strapped to the arm, unlike Targes and Bucklers. Does this mean they are useless for shield bashing?
>>
The flat is only for parry. Even when ramming you want to hit with the border as it allows the most force and if used correctly you can prevent some attacker.
>>
>>52939812
No. If you're putting your weight behind a shield its very easy to get behind you. It also binds your arms. The only time you would push with the flat of your shield is in a shield wall. In single combat it would be a death sentence.
>>
>>52940303
>>52939884
So I've read on some forums that because the Roman Legionary Scutum has a bosse, it is intended for shield bashing. Do you confidently assert this is bullshit, and that Legionaires never bashed?
>>
>>52940402
I can't assert they never bashed or that they always bashed. To assert this you would need to find a roman legionary scutum and analize its damage, but good luck as they were made of wood and we all know how good it preserve.

What I can assert is that most advantages come from stricking with the borders over the flat, and even if the flat was used for parry many manuals (later manuals with smaller shields) recommend to use the sword for parry over the shield.

BTW scutums are used quite differently than other shields as they are quite big and a pain in the ass to use for parry. Also, you need to think it like that for most shields, by example heater shields were strapped to the arm, meanwhile many other shields weren't (rotella by example), this mean that they are innevitable going to be used differently; both size, how is hold, materials and others affect the use of the technology.
>>
>>52940855
Right. Speaking of heaters- what techniques were available to them? IIRC they became popular in the late medieval period when heavy armor started to become more prevalent. Do you know any good treatises on the use of a Heater? What about a Kite?
>>
>>52942720
No.
I personally have a big problem with heater shields as they are shown mostly in mortuory sites and most of images show being used on horse (which later on become a justing shield). So, not only there are no manuals (as far as I know) but also the few images I have seen show them on horse or on tombs.

Most shield manuals are quite late, mostly on the bolognese school. Everything before that was buckler (I.33) or just images.
>>
>>52942825
A problem using them? Or you reject their authenticity as an actual battle implement?
>>
>not using a big spear
>>
>>52939812

You don't need so much shield with so much fucking armour.
>>
>>52939812
Anyone know anything more detailed about Kites, Heaters, or Scutums? I have a good amount of resources for Targes and Bucklers.

Also, is there any other major category of shield I'm forgetting?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.