[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I get grim dark, noble dark, noble bright, etc. Is there such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1493272384232.jpg (102KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
1493272384232.jpg
102KB, 636x900px
So I get grim dark, noble dark, noble bright, etc. Is there such thing as grim bright? Something like an apocalypse but hope for the future. No anime pls
>>
File: goblin.jpg (175KB, 1401x1000px) Image search: [Google]
goblin.jpg
175KB, 1401x1000px
>>52937535
>Is there such thing as grim bright? Something like an apocalypse but hope for the future
No, grimbright is where the universe is a fairly decent place but there's little you can do to improve it or make it worse.
>>
>>52937535
>Something like an apocalypse but hope for the future.
Well there's this cute comic about an android woman who runs a cafe-
>No anime plz
Oh well fuck me then nevermind.
>>
>>52937535
I'm trying to get a book published where the population drops to under 2 million, and two continents become uninhabitable but after enough time, we've recovered to the point where humanity lives across the entire solar system.

I think it counts.
>>
Fallout. Some Eclipse Phase interpretations. Grimbright is a world where the mistakes of the past are ever so slowly being made up for.
>>
>>52937535
I think a lot of people here are confusing Grimbright with Nobledark.

Noble - implies ability to enact positive change on the world
Dark - implies poor state of the world.

Hopeful post-apoc like Fallout would be Nobledark, or any fiction where the heroes have to really work for that happy ending.

Grim - state of the world can't be very positively impacted

Bright - state of the world is rather positive, at least on the surface

I guess "Grimbright" might include stuff like Mirror's Edge (the world is supposedly dystopian, but looks pretty tidy), or sitcoms/cartoons that run for too long.
>>
No because grim and dark are describing the same thing, they aren't seperate attributes.
>>
>>52937535
Grimbright was this one screencap of a dude running a supers game where the players were deliberate edgelords, but things turned out alright anyhow.

'I killed the mayor!' He was an alien shapeshifter, the city rejoices! and suchlike.

That's it. People being assholes, but things still working out perfectly is GrimBright.
>>
>>52938405
Grimbright is the life experience of teenagers who are desperate to rebel, but live in a nice house with a loving family and have no personal disadvantages.
>>
>>52937535
Grimbright is real life
>>
File: 1490894315980.jpg (173KB, 1024x650px) Image search: [Google]
1490894315980.jpg
173KB, 1024x650px
Imagine a post-apocalyptic setting where humanity was almost wiped out. Resources are scarce. Monsters are everywhere. You fight everyday for survival and each moment is a matter of life and death. Heroic sacrifices, and despicable choices.

Now invert that.

Humanity is abundant. There is no scarcity, no monsters, no risk. Something - be it a government, magic, or just an inherent state of the universe - prevents loss or even injury. There are no real challenges. They were solved years ago. You yourself are healthier, wiser, and better educated than every generation before.

The world is harmonious and peaceful.
No one has to struggle.
The world is perfect.
Forever.

And there's nothing you can ever do to change that.

>>52941799
Kind of like this. Except less bitter. Think of a society that undergoes that sort of rebellion. Desperate to prove independence and self-worth, but with absolutely no way to do so. Any struggle is artificial, designed to "encourage" the growth people are yearning for. Which completely robs success of any merit.

This isn't the same as a dystopia, which is bubbles and sugar on the outside but harboring a dark truth (dark), where rebels can make an impact (noble).
This is a utopia where everyone is stagnated and bitter (grim) despite everything being perfectly fine (bright). There is no secret.

If it feel inherently anti-climatic - it should. A grimbright setting is one where external threats are trivial or nonexistent. There's few objective successes or clearly defined sides in such a setting. All of that was smoothed over. This challenges the concept of conflict, which can become a question of purpose and life. It's ripe for Internal Conflict narratives.

Which can turn to philosophical or sophistic waxing when all anyone wanted was some explosions to enjoy with their friends. It becomes all too easy to slip in a twist (since most folks have a sense of "too good to be true") that turns the world on its head so there can be a victory.
>>
>>52937695
Surely OP would be sensible enough to make an exception for Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip.
>>
>>52942438
Grimbright sounds like the Eldar Empire at its apex.
>>
>>52938405
I always figured Dark/Bright referred to the state of the world, while Noble/Dark referred to the state of the people.

So something Grimbright would be a place that's would be great to live in if not for all the assholes being assholes and making it worse for no reason.
>>
>>52942438
That sounds like a special form of hell.
>>
File: casting out.jpg (571KB, 2024x2437px) Image search: [Google]
casting out.jpg
571KB, 2024x2437px
>>52944310
“I mean, d'you know what eternity is? There's this big mountain, see, a mile high, at the end of the universe, and once every thousand years there's this little bird-"

"What little bird?" said Aziraphale suspiciously.

"This little bird I'm talking about. And every thousand years-"

"The same bird every thousand years?"

Crowley hesitated. "Yeah," he said.

"Bloody ancient bird, then."

"Okay. And every thousand years this bird flies-"

"-limps-"

"-flies all the way to this mountain and sharpens its beak-"

"Hold on. You can't do that. Between here and the end of the universe there's loads of-" The angel waved a hand expansively, if a little unsteadily. "Loads of buggerall, dear boy."

"But it gets there anyway," Crowley persevered.

"How?"

"It doesn't matter!"

"It could use a space ship," said the angel.

Crowley subsided a bit. "Yeah," he said. "If you like. Anyway, this bird-"

"Only it is the end of the universe we're talking about," said Aziraphale. "So it'd have to be one of those space ships where your descendants are the ones who get out at the other end. You have to tell your descendants, you say, When you get to the Mountain, you've got to-" He hesitated. "What have
they got to do?"

"Sharpen its beak on the mountain," said Crowley. "And then it flies back-"

"-in the space ship-"

"And after a thousand years it goes and does it all again," said Crowley quickly.

There was a moment of drunken silence.

"Seems a lot of effort just to sharpen a beak," mused Aziraphale.
>>
File: 1287621432500.jpg (239KB, 900x1128px) Image search: [Google]
1287621432500.jpg
239KB, 900x1128px
>>52944359

"Listen," said Crowley urgently, "the point is that when the bird has worn the mountain down to nothing, right, then-"

Aziraphale opened his mouth. Crowley just knew he was going to make some point about the relative hardness of birds' beaks and granite mountains, and plunged on quickly.

"-then you still won't have finished watching The Sound of Music."

Aziraphale froze.

"And you'll enjoy it," Crowley said relentlessly. "You really will."

"My dear boy-"

"You won't have a choice."

"Listen-"

"Heaven has no taste."

"Now-"

"And not one single sushi restaurant."

A look of pain crossed the angel's suddenly very serious face.”
>>
>>52944377
...That is the joke?
That is what we get out of Gaiman and Pratchett teaming up?
Well, given that I can vouch for the competence of one of them, this just clinches that Gaiman's a fucking hack.
>>
teletubbies
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.