/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 13

File: Pokemon-18.jpg (45KB, 640x332px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-18.jpg
45KB, 640x332px
So I hear Pokemon d20 is terrible.

I've played Pokemon tabletop (the other one). Combat was slower than any game I've ever played. Players started having 2hg MTG matches in between their turns..

How would one make a Pokemon tabletop game that didn't suck, and / or fix one of the ones that exists?
>>
>>52933813
Probably just use your 3ds in between role play sessions for combat.
>>
>>52933843
>Use Vidya for the combat.

There's a web app for that too, I believe.

It would be damned near impossible to have all the Pokemon and trainers you need statted up to play on demand though.

Vidya Pokemon combat is also 1v1, you're not going to cover 5 players each with one Pokemon fighting against 5 thugs each with one Pokemon.
>>
>>52933813
I haven't played the systems but I would imagine based on complaints and the fact that of party could be up to 21 characters normally (assuming a party of 3 with 6 Pokemon each), this would sound like a major pain in the ass to slog through.

I think a new system just needs to be made entirely and combat completely redone to mitigate the number crunching. I honestly think taking a page from the Star Wars Age of Rebellion mass combat rules could help this out.

For example:

In a battle, we want to speed things up. So instead of doing number crunching for each battle for 3 hours, we just go through each battle narratively depending on circumstances. Say a Pikachu went up against another Pikachu (P1 and P2 respectively) and they are both the same level. So on that basis alone it could be an equal opposed battle check of...a d20 against a d20 (or 3 dice against 3 dice if using FFG's system). But now we say that P2's owner has a stronger tactician skill, and their Pikachu somehow knew Thunder when P1's only knew Thundershock. Now based on this new info, we can quickly say that it's still an opposed check of d20 on d20, but P2's d20 can add a modifier based on the owner's superior skill and the fact that Thunder is more powerful. Using the FFG system, we could say that this is 3 ability dice against 3 ability dice, but P2's pool is upgraded once due to Thunder and boosted twice due to tactician superiority. So 3 greens vs. 2 greens, one yellow and 2 blue.

This is a confusing explanation at first, but it could easily boil down fights to simple checks.

"Ok anon1, you send out your Pikachu against their Krabby. You have type advantage for Thundershock and a superior tactician skill, so upgrade your check once and add 2 boost. The Krabby has no advantages so will be using flat dice. Ok anon1 you won the roll, so your Pikachu........bla bla bla narrative."

We can get into numbers and exact dice modifications later, but I believe this could actually work.
>>
>>52933843
This, but use Pokemon Showdown instead.

Actually fuck I want to use this idea now.
>>
>>52933813
How about not playing yet another gay ass d20 system and instead taking one of the other popular systems?

Pokerole works well enaugh, but only for small parties of 3 trainers max. For small groups it is IMO the best one of the bunch.

Just be aware that they base their stats all on the official stats with a certain formula, but insist on scaling base HP with size. That's pretty retarded and really really destroys the ballance of the game when compared to the games, but is more in line with the anime. I personally just divided the official base HP by 20 I think and it fit's perfectly, really don't understand why they don't have a pdf version of the pokedex with the non-autisitc values as well for those that don't want the "Onyx is IMBA because de anime said so XD"

For larger groups you should try the other one, it's the most popular one but I forget the name. Since you are asking this question you already kind of proove that you are too dumb to google, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and let you figure it out.
>>
>>52934218
>>52934058
>>52933843
Imagine if there was a Mystery Dungeon simulator. That could work in the more tactical side.
>>
File: 1492617430015.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1492617430015.png
55KB, 217x190px
Like this:
>each player is a pokemon
>one player (or the GM) controls the trainer
>you all go on an adventure and discover the true meaning of friendship together
Boom, all future Pokemon tabletop games fixed forever now, you're welcome
>>
>>52933813
>Players started having 2hg MTG matches in between their turns
And you wonder why Combat takes so long.

PTU is far from perfect. But it does make Combat pretty straightforward, especially if you use set damage. The issue is people who spend 10+ minutes deciding what to do with their turn. If you're playing IRL then making flash cards with move frequency and action type will make it easy for each player to see what they can do each time they get a turn. Roll dice, call number, 3 seconds with a calculator if they're terrible at math, next thing.

If your players are properly trained a battle with 3 trainers, 3 trained mons, and 3-4 wild enemies should take 15 minutes tops.
>>
>>52934251
>Not using a "gay ass d20 system".
As I said in the op, we played a different one. Looking it up, it was Pokemon tabletop united that we played and had issues with.

I'm not familiar with pokerole.

Is it better than ptu? Ptu seemed to be nearly a Vidya simulator, which doesn't work so well in tabletop.
>>
>>52935275
They started playing 2hg MTG matches because there was an hour and a half between turns.

It was a large group though. 6 players, each had 2 Pokemon (but only one out at a time).
>>
A while back i was designing a Mystery Dungeons style game with the characters taking over the role of pokemon. Just adapt different spell names and skills to pokemon moves. If you look at any online source, most pokemon have general stats to rank them against each other so you can adapt those for enemy stats. there are plenty of items and moves to complete an actual roleplay element
>>
I ran a couple games in PTU before getting sick of it and making my own system. Playtesting went well but between my group (including myself) wanting to move on from pokémon and looking at statting out each mon and move and ability, I wrote a quick translation guide and left it at that.

I think that's a huge barrier working against any good system being made. Either a system is going to need its own hefty book with stats on stats on stats or it's going to be a generalist system and therefore probably won't 'feel' pokémon.
>>
>>52933813
Try pokerole, it's simpler, easier, and not d20

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t1nefbfvcxt09w9/Pokerole+Core+Book.pdf
>>
>>52935544
12 participants in combat at once. There is no excuse for having any more than 20 minutes for a round from start to finish. Flash cards, highlighters, map.

If it takes more than 30 minutes it's because one person is sperging out about what to do (in which case tell him to hurry the fuck up) or someone is distracted (in which case take his phone away, don't bring that shit to the table)
>>
>>52935511
Pokerole is simpler but combat can still be a real drag due to the necessity of attack roll, damage roll, and defensive combat rolls every single exchange, and early levels have a lot of low-damage plinkathons
>>
File: 58629628_p0.jpg (249KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
58629628_p0.jpg
249KB, 800x1131px
>>52933813
I was actually just about to make a thread asking for advice on a battle system for a pokemon RPG so this is super fucking timely for me.

If I could add on a little request to this though, anyone got pictures of sporting looking/modern day adventurers that would make for good pokemon trainers?
>>
File: recon_clervaux.jpg (330KB, 1340x887px) Image search: [Google]
recon_clervaux.jpg
330KB, 1340x887px
Currently in a PTU group. 10! Players 6 mons each. Combat literally took 4 hours for 1 turn. The GM wants to have the final session before may.

Please kill me
>>
File: abandon game.gif (988KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
abandon game.gif
988KB, 500x333px
>>52937805
4 hours on a single turn? why would you do that to yourselves?

And I thought pokerole was slow.
>>
>>52937955
I dont know. I literally left and ate dinner at subway and came back before it was my turn.
>>
>>52937035
A lot of it was all of the recalculating of stats.

And combat was routinely more like 24 ish characters, once npcs were factored in.

>>52937054
Hmm. I'll have to check out pokerole.

>>52937805
>>52937983
Fucking this.

The GM, naturally dropped the whole campaign after 2 sessions. Which was a shame because outside combat the game was fun. But combat was just too slow.
>>
>>52937805
How the fuck did a single turn take 4 hours? Why are you letting them use all six of their Pokemon simultaneously?
>>
File: 1439451861488.png (18KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1439451861488.png
18KB, 203x209px
>>52938063
> Be me
> Join game
> Game is Pokemon world gone Grim dark where Giovanni took over the world and we're all resistance fighters trying to free the world.
> Grim dark is Grim dark
> GM Deus Ex machia the game to have resistance start winning
> Massive march on Virdian City with all the PCs in tow and the armies fighting it out in one last massive battle.
> Stealth team ambushed by enemy forces, Massive amounts of Mewtwos and out numbered. Trainers start using all their teams.
> Desperate last stand.....
> Will the heros get relieved or not?

> Find out next time when the game might finish or not we really dont know
>>
>>52938051
Theres the issue. Trainer turns even in non-league matches shouldn't take that long if you "keep things pokemon".

Im not saying you cant play a trainer combat class, but you better be quick and not even half the party should pick them up or have weapons. You have pokes for fighting, play support to them and your team. Or try and get those files/help the civilians while your bros distract team rocket. It puts a huge load on the GM to balance the action economy otherwise.
>>
>>52942067
That's mostly how the PCs played. It still took forever. And outside tournament battles, sometimes a Pokemon would get sicced on a PC.
>>
>>52934251
20? do you mean 2, since most Pokemon has a base HP of around 3 to 7?
>>
>>52942936
No he means that that Onyx and friends b]need a base hp of around 5 to 7 not 28.
>>
>>52942936
I mean "Divide the video game HP by 20 or similar" because that's roughly how all other pokerole stats are calculated. That way Onyx would have a base HP of 3.5 -> 4 instead of one quadrillion "because it big". I made it a pythonscript reading from a pokedex db and also added a few points for bulkiness(size and weight) to not completely screw the intent of the game, but if you don't do that the balance is completely screwed because some pokemons that thrive on their high base hp and natural bulkiness are completely useless otherwise, because they are small. Channeira is a disgustingly tanky wall in the video games, but here it would be meh. With Onyx it's especially enraging because in the video games it actually has a crap base HP. With my formula it all makes a little more sense.

If you want I could be arsed to upload the *.py , *.csv and the results so that you can use and tweak them.

Pokerole is what my group uses, but I can not speak for how well it holds up for higher levels, because we only ran the campaign four sessions and then switched to using Pokerole as a Mystery Dungeon system instead, where everyone was only one Pokemon(obviously)
>>
>>52937054
Nigga what? On early levels the fights are decided within the first ten rounds because nobody has enaugh levels to properly block or feint.
>>
>>52945264
I'd be interested in seeing that script.

What db are you using with it? Is it something you generateda from a folder filled with .pkm files or something?
>>
>>52945385
No, it's just a csv file from some other project, some kind of pokedex thingy. I just took that because reading, splitting, processing a .csv and outputting the results in python is ~50 lines

Wait 10 minutes and I will upload the .csv and the .py somewhere
Even if you are not a programmer, python should be extremely self-explanatory so you should be able to tweak this to your liking, just don't touch any of the string splitting magic.
>>
>>52945385
>>52945508
mediafire com /file/i6f5fd77dv7f4bv/Pokemon_HP_Calculator.zip
>>
>>52945591
Thanks dude. I'll check this out in the morning.

I am actually a programmer, but this will be my first time looking at python. I doubt it will be difficult to understand.

I hate those advanced math based programming languages though. Fuck are those ever confusing.
>>
>>52945286
>On early levels the fights are decided within the first ten rounds

Assuming like 3 players and 2 enemies that could be anywhere from 50 to a hundred rolls

that's a plinkathon in my book
>>
>>52942634
Not sure what went wrong then. Recalcing stats for buffs and such isnt bad. Its just a +1 for every 5 you have in a stat, and even then not much of those moves see a lot of play because they aren't as impactful as in the video games.

For real though, how many PCs were active combatants, be it trainer classes or weapons/focused command/wonder launcher? Because thats really the only way I see that taking anywhere near that long. Unless the GM was trying to do that on his side of things. Idk, a group of six feels like too much anyway, cause thats a lot of resources you have to wear down if you want any kind of 'threat'.
>>
>>52934702
There must be a crazy dm out there who ran a pokemon-themed MAID.
>>
>>52935275
Ptu has a shit combat system that takes the worst parts of 4e, the crunchiest parts of the games, and adds in even more complexity on top. Defense Evasion on top of moves having AC is the worst slowest option possible.
>>
>>52947215
It really doesnt. The damage formula from the main series games is above and beyond in terms of complexity.

AC + evasion isnt even hard math, and the overwhelming majority of campaigns completed end with PC mons being in the mid-late 30s or ealry 40s, so the "maxed out evasion" thing doesn't have an opportunity to come up. Its not even a fair argument to make, considering basically all systems (not just pokemon ones) tend to break as you approach level caps/epic level campaigns.
>>
Currently in a campaign using PTU. Combat does get pretty lengthy though nowhere near as bad as described in the thread so far. We might start playing with set damage to speed things up a bit.

I have to say I'm not a fan of speed/defense evation. It's fine right now but as pokémon level up and if you combine it with items and trainer options I can see late-game fights becoming giant dodge-fests where moves only hit a quarter of the time. Then fights will probably start dragging on for too long.
>>
>>52933813
PTA would be great (for me and my lot) if the amount of crunch wasn't painful. I need some fucking generators or something, because improvising encounters is about impossible.
>>
>>52947960
>not doing glorious HP+Speed+Attacking stat master race
3 hits to KO, 3 hits to get KO'd
>>
>>52934260
Some d20 games suggest and have material explicitly for this.
>>
>>52947820
You can easily break Evasion in the 20s, without even trying for it. The bath isn't the worst part, it's that every attack had so many goddamn steps and variables that you have to consider every time. The games formulas are complicated, but really just boil down to attack vs defense and sometimes accuracy, with evasion being a rarity that everybody hates. PTU took multiple combat systems and has you go through all of them, with every step making it harder to make anything happen. And really, that isn't even as bad as how much goddamn everything in PTU fucks with Initiative. It's a nightmare system that makes everything more complicated than it needs to be.
>>
>>52948002
Well, because of speed evation that won't really solve my problem. Also I don't like maxing out a few stats while ignoring the rest, although I do ignore Satk on physical attackers and vice-versa. Even my attacking mons have at least one of their defenses decently high.
>>
>>52933813
All Pokemon tabletop is bad because it will draw out the worst autism from your players.
>>
>>52948002
None of that increases your accuracy.
>>
>>52947960
>dodge fests
This, idk why a friend opposed so much to the idea of giving accuracy bonuses to atk and sp atk
>>
>>52947820
Level 30 is barely midgame for Pokemon, having your system break about 20-50 levels before the video games end a campaign is nothing to be proud of.
>>
>>52948196
I like this idea since it promotes the fact that mons will easily dodge/hit weaker opponents while fighting on equal footing with those of equal strength. Though I can also see why someone would be opposed to it since it adds even more things to keep track of when attacking. Not a problem for me though since I usually spend downtime in combat calculating my current bonuses and penalties.
>>
>>52948071
Unless you throw things at the group that they don't have a reason to be facing (rhyperiors at pokemon lv 25), I've never had a problem to it. Around lv 25, the most ive seen a player or GM put in a defense was total of 25ish, which is only +5 evade for that one defense, not all of them, and their attack potential was really low. Sure you could dump a ton onto speed at that point to get an overall evasion of +5 to all attacks, but then you dont have much left in the way of Hp, defenses or attack.

I have noticed though that it's generally best to have your defenses evenly spread of you arnt super tanky. 20 in both is doable in basically every build by about 30 at the latest and gives decent dodge chance and damage soak for when you get hit. Even if we add inspired training/orders to that, its only 35% chance (+4 from stats, +1 training, +1 orders, and 1 always misses, so 7x5%) to miss an ac2 move (most are). Even still, thats nothing when compared to DnD ACs. Hell, the fact you can only add +6 from stats (and only from one stat, noy use both spe and SpD on like a flamethrower) coupled with you can only increase a moves AC by +9 through evasion means most pokes can only ever get to +8, and thats if their trainer uses inspired trainong every round, and only for that one defense.

If youre still having trouble landing hits, either stop using low ac moves, or propose a homebrew. I recall someone mentioning theres here a few threads ago. Something like every 10 in relivant attack stat negates 1 evasion on the defender? Beyond that, try hone claws or grab focused training/orders, straight counters trainers who pick inspired with the added bonus of effect range increase.
>>
>>52948243
Most of the video games "end" with the assumption your team is lv 50-55. Thats only 10-15 off from what i said, so not that bad honesty. You still get to play most your favorites through their whole evo lines (a lot of lines were reduced lvs) and its not meant to be a 1:1 representation of said video games.
>>
My group loves PMD but using ptu for it is ass, plus when i brought it up to a fried he said pmd sucked and didnt need a system.
>>
>>52948367
>>52948196
This. Our fix was -1 evasion (stat or non-stat source, doesn't matter) for every 10 in your realivant attack. It promotes actually investing in what you want to do, rather than "#1 priority dens to 30, then spread where ever" a lot of the forum goers seem to live by. It doesn't "increase accuracy" so you can't just pile it into attack and launch stone edges like their AC2, but still increases your odds to hit.

The other notable part is defender can add over flow after you "negate" part of their evasion, but only still within the "6 max from stats/non-stats, and only max total of 9" rule.
This means on equal footing where you have 60 atk vs 60 def, the defender puts up 6 from stats, attacker negates all of it, defender puts up remaining 6; same but with 30, defender puts up 6, attack takes out 3. With this rule in place, the old "cap/no need for more" of 30 is gone. They still get a minor chance to dodge, but they have to continually invest to get that full +6.
>>
>>52945677
I doubt it would be hard to understand, I clobbered this together in 5 minutes and I still understood everything when I opened it this morning, which is allways a good sign.
>>
>>52948367

>>52947960 here. I had missed the part about stat-evation having caps. Strange since I read up until accuracy caps. That actually lessens my worry for the future quite a bit. Even if it's easy to reach situations where every move is a coin toss, it won't be as bad as I envisioned.

>>52948586
Never actually considered rushing a defense/speed to 30. Not that it would be possible since most of my pokémon have to keep attack/spattack higher because of the base-relations rule. Must be some pretty strange training for the pokémon if it's only getting stronger in a single area only for that training to suddenly stop one day. I like your fix though.
>>
>>52948679
Yeah its easy to miss out on details like that. The format they use looks nice, but holy shit dies a lot of it just get buried under there.
>>
>>52948367
Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have 5-30 DR for every hit, or different modifiers to the move that aren't known by the person rolling. Level 30-40 is where most Pokemon get their good move sets (and by that I just mean stuff like Flamethrower and Thunder Punch) yet it's where the game breaks down, only getting worse over time. The game actively encourages minmaxing even worse than the video games which makes those stupid evasion scores even worse, so you have a game where every attack takes multiple times add long as any other tabletop game, with twice the number of participants, and an ever increasing chance of absolutely nothing happening. It's awful from the ground up.
>>
>>52948679
Bit of a hyperbola there (I doubt it's THAT bad), but a lot of people heavily prioritize their evasion values, because each point is damage mitigation for when they connect, and every 5 is +5% of no damage/effect. I'd imagine the main way they get away with it is that when a poke evolves you redistribute it's level up points, so your build can completely change from say ivysaur to venusaur or whatever. Coupled with using pokes who don't care about their speed to have less areas to spend in helps too.

But yeah, like the other anon said, even getting those defenses to like a 15 or 20 is a big deal. They can save your ass when hit for SE, and just generally give a slight edge against most things. When I did a combat demo for my group, I asked them to pick a mon, and stat it for several different builds at a certain Lv (post evasion fix). We found that defenses were still strong enough, but your matches get grindy and gross, doubly so in group battles. Fast "sweepers" feel awesome when they work, but it's make or break pretty early so if they first couple rounds go bad, you have to bank on an effect roll or crit. Even spread worked well, but in my players' words "it doesn't feel right". You don't feel like you're winning the race against either of the others despite wether you are or not and lacking a set "archetype" means you feel all your choices have an artificial weight to them because you don't have a 'plan'.
But do what you will. Same with any system, if you arnt throwing cheese at the GM, they have less excuse to cheese back at you. Play what you want (as long as you arnt the 3rd+ combat class) and don't be too worried about optimum plays/builds, you got multiple pokes and teammates.
>>
>>52949174
As a last bit, a summary, PTU took two games that were already complex on their own, and added both systems in their entirety into their core mechanics. They made a huge mess that requires you to only play a specific portion of their game, only a specific way, and even then with multiple house rules. It's a nightmarish mess that works against your enjoyment more often than not.
>>
>>52949174
Chances are if they have the high defenses in one area, they have lack luster in the other. If they have both, they can fall to the tried and true "status" builds. Swift and the like are also VERY solid in this system. Beyond all that, you lean on type advantage and teammates to help out.

In most games, you have six (6!) mons on your team AND a couple teammates with the same. If you are having trouble, it's because you're all building 6 of 1 or 2 styles and not being diverse.
>>
>>52949287
At what point do you realize I'm saying the game is too slow, not too hard
>>
>>52946935
I'm reminded of the second to last battle of the Volcanion movie. Ash's Pokemon (by themselves, Ash was crazy far away from them) versus a whole team of megas and they still win.

Plus, you can do stuff I saw in some Nuzlocke comic, where the 'Mons are able to.take a job to.buy their trainer a gift.
>>
>>52949472
You were saying it slows down due to AC+evade, or defenses and what not. Im saying AC isnt as big a deal as you make it out to be. There are other systems that start out with 50/50s on whether or not you get hit; this one can, in certain builds, build up to it. Defense values can be worked around or negated completly if you approach it the right way.

The system leans on the slow side, but thats to be expected when you have the amount of comatants/characters as this does. If you dont like that, thats fine. But when you bang you head against a tankmon that also resists or you run cheese strats it can become >>52937805 , same as most systems.

You have the power to make the system go smoothly. Make flashcards, use set damage, write out your combat stage bonuses ahead of time, dont field a party full of combat classes, etc.
>>
>>52950587
The amount of work it takes to take PTU from its base performance to smooth is more than it would take to learn an entirely different game. The AC isn't just bad because it means a lot of the time you'll miss, although that's absolutely going to happen with so many ways to raise evasion (why is defense evasion even there, really, it adds nothing) it also means the player and GM both have to check numbers whenever a roll is made (you roll against the Moves AC AND the Pokemon) and then afterwards have to math out damage, which is doable but even with set takes time. So you have a battle system that takes D&D, then adds multiple extra steps to combat resolution for a game that will have triple as many participants. It's absurd, and that's again without mentioning how easily and frequent Initiative changes and how many stats and modifiers to said stats every participant has to keep track of. Neither the Pokemon video games nor 4e, the obvious influences, have nearly as much complexity as PTU. And 4e already gets shit for being a slow game in the first place! They made a game infamous for being long to resolve even longer because they don't think this shit through.
>>
>>52953134
Im not even the anon you started all this with, im evasion fix anon. IMHO, the only fix you should/need to do is the one i recommended, and even then only if your group has an issue with evasion. Fight lengths will depend on context of the fight and how ready they are regardless of the evasion.

From there, the "fixes" are obvious things that apply to any other system. Learn your moves/abilities and do whatever you need to to make it timely. The all combat class thing is akin to how some gms wont roll with an all caster/tier1 classes party. The system bases a lot around "make your own" already in regards to type shifts, items, whatever the hell your badges do, etc, which again is no different than other systems like DnD magical items.

No system is going to be perfect for ANY game you run, pokemon or not. Even if you write your own system, it wont play to someone elses tastes or maybe not even work. Take the other polemin systems for example, a lot of people feel they are too lite and rely too much on GM rulings for damn near EVERY interaction. Ttrpgs are a collaborative experience to begin with, if you cant be asked to make a couple minor adjustments (and yes, even PTU really only has a small amount of "fix me or bust" issues mechanically), youre likely to never get a game going.
>>
>>52953756
The best fix for Stat Evasion is to scrap it. It's not a thing in Pokemon anyway, no reason it needs to be there.
>>
>>52954118
So, how, when all is said and done, would you suggest changing the rules of ptu so it runs smoother, considering 5-6 players as a real possibility.

>Ditch stat evasion.
>Don't allow trainer combat classes
>>
>>52954118
Then do it. It does very little to the system on the whole.
>>
>>52954182
Forgot to finish post with "and what else?"
>>
>>52954182
Not him, but nix splat books? At least for me, B&D and GoT are nothing but headaches waiting to happen. Playtests are cool with me though.
>>
Only tangentially related, but do trained Pokemon enjoy fighting in the official circuts? Also, why are even the smallest wild Pokemon so territorial?
>>
>>52954322
I dunno, maybe?

I don't recall the supplements being what caused the slowdown (and we played with all of them), it was the core combat system that caused problems.

I remember recalculating stat bonuses constantly being very tedious, for instance.
>>
>>52954182
Have trainers go on their Pokemon's initiative instead of splitting it up into two.
Nix combat classes, or have the Trainer's combat replace the Pokemon's turn.
Don't use stat evasion.
Nix the shitton of features and moves that fuck with Initiative that aren't already part of Pokemon.
Make (Priority) Limited and (Priority) Advanced into one thing and decide beforehand whether you can ante up your next turn with it.
Use set damage, and round that damage. And don't use injuries, they're not worth it in the slightest.

That cuts out a very significant part of the game, but it's a big improvement because those mechanics just fuck with even the simplest combats.

>>52954329
The Pokemon games have said that Pokemon do enjoy battling, even when in the wild. Some wild Pokemon seek out trainers specifically because they know it can make them so much more powerful. Note that Golisopod is actually considered special for NOT wanting to battle and just running away all the time.
>>
>>52954475
Oh right and the other big thing is use the digital sheets supplied on the forum by a fan, because goddamn you cannot be expected to track all that's left by yourself. Downside is those sheets are painfully slow and cumbersome, but the maker tried their best.
>>
>>52954364
Its a story thing more than anything. Maybe its just me, but being able to levitate/fly via windrunner doesnt sit right with me. Same goes for all the others with whatever element they got. Its fine if you do that through you your pokes because at least theres a degree of seperation.

Not that it matters, sonce they all fall under combat class.
>>
>>52954475
That does sound like it would help. Any suggestions for speeding up stat recalculations?
>>52954494
Yeah, some of us did. A few players didn't have a device though, and two only had tablets, and fuck were those sheets ever slow on a tablet.
>>
>>52954622
Make the modifiers flat numbers, or do +1/-1 for every 5. Anything to avoid multiplication and division at the table. If the stats are being changed by a Pokemon's own move, put down how much the change is as a flat number in the move description.
>>
File: 1302371530489.png (61KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1302371530489.png
61KB, 300x300px
Honestly, this is one of the few situations where "just use GURPS" is a good answer.
>>
>>52954475
Any examples of what initative fuckery you mean? Only things i know of are the agility orders, and its just a +4 to "speed". As orders it maybe makes you jump above one other combatant, but its not crazy.

Well that and i think one chef thing does something too. But yeah, like, any others?
>>
>combat taking so ridiculously long
Hmm, I haven't experienced that yet. I'm about to start my first PTU game, and my first time GMing anything ever.

So far one of my players and I have been playtesting the combat system to learn it. We did a couple rounds of 1 Combat Trainer + pokemon versus: 1 Poke, 2 Pokes, 3 Pokes. By the third combat with the 2 v 3 it went pretty fast and smooth.

The following week, he stated up 3 Combat Trainers with 1 Pokemon each. We did a 6 v 6 Battle. And had one of the players-to-be control one set, while he controlled the other two.

That combat took a while, but we were taking smoke breaks, the player-to-be hadn't even read the rulebook yet or anything before that. And the main cause was having to look up some rules we weren't familiar with yet, and some moves&abilities. That can be easily rectified with cheat sheets and flashcards. The whole point of the playtest was to find out what we need to do to familiarize ourselves with the system and make it run smoothly.

I think within a couple sessions even full 6 v 6 combats should run us maybe 30min, give or take.
>>
>>52954614
The Elementalists are absolutely broken and against Pokemon's grain, I feel like they would be better played as solo trainers without Pokemon to back them up. You could flavor it as people powered by shinto spirits, or even pretend it's ReBURST, but it has no place with actual Pokemon Training by its side.
>>
>>52954720
The +1 for every 5 is literally what thw atages are to begin with. They even say you truncate down, not round up for something like 36.7.
>>
>>52954751
Is that all six on the field at once, or a proper single battle?
>>
>>52954751
30 minutes for a full 6v6 is pretty short, but also the medium used to play is a big deal. I ran as a GM with a group of 4 that took like 20 minutes for a 4v4 brawl with baddies over voice.

Meanwhile in a game I play we all know the system well, but RPing and rule questions in text makes a fight like that take twice the time.
>>
>>52954751
Possibly, just be mindful that not ecery battle should be full contact with trainers in the mix and all. Gotta let passive team characters shine too like cheerleader.
>>
>>52954734
if you enjoy making 600+ pokemons yourself sure
>>
>>52954802
3 Combat Trainers and 3 Pokemon versus 6 Wild Pokemon. All out in combat once.
>>52954827
I should have clarified that I will be running it in a fully fantasy setting, dungeon crawling adventure. They aren't "trainers", they're adventurers, travelers, etc.
Support characters are definitely valid, but they will be valid as they are in any traditional fantasy setting and will still be considered "combat trainers" since they will be in the combat, whether they actually attack or not.

>>52954809
At the rate we were picking it up, I think it will be more than do-able.
>>
>>52954749
Juggler gives a Pokemon +10 Initiative on their first turn (easily the least egregious and could possibly stay), Coordinators can change Initiative a will, Duelists can knock an enemy's Initiative down, Riders switch Initiative with their Pokemon, Taskmasters get Initiative Bonuses as their Pokemon gets more hurt, Sweet Dumplings made by Chefs can get up to +30 Initiative, Roughnecks can knock Initiative down to 0 multiple ways, Tumblers act again on half their Initiative, Channelers can boost Initiative, and a bunch of moves in Pokemon have been changed to Interrupts, Shift Actions, Swift Actions, Free Actions, Full Actions.

>>52954783
They should write that in the book instead of a multiplications chart.
>>
>>52954951
Oh, 6v6 all at once, yeah that is fine. I skimmed like a moron and thought you meant a 6v6 one at a time battle.

>>52954953
Juggler seems busted to me in the usual league format, does anyone else feel that?
>>
>>52954988
Juggler is better at Pokemon battling than Ace Trainer. Choosing whether you can switch your Pokemon after fainting an opponent's is literally a difficulty mode for Pokemon, and it's their first feature.
>>
>>52954951
>fantasy setting
Fair enough, just my 2 cents.
>>
>>52955041
I'm also confused why Hoobyist gets the master level Trickster ability before Trickster can.

I really enjoy PTU, but I hope their 2.0 version fixes the class balance issue.
>>
>>52955069
I don't think they playtest any of their shit, loads of the classes are trap options or way more broken than they seem when you put them together. Chef gets absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>52933813
Tried using the card game in instance battles and scaling move pools for the rpg itself?
>>
>>52954953
Yeah i guess. The rider thing is fine, since it keeps the order of the whole initative block the same, just one acts on the other not a full re jumble. Setting initative to 0 is fine enough, because you cant actually get to 0 without those interfeering. As for moves, some of those HAVE TO be that way to even work in tabletop format (protect, endure and detect as the main ones. quick attack and others would have to be a 100%rework or something like "bonus damage from speed" in which it becomes nuts). I personally dont think taskmaster is bad either, because once it gets popped on its basically static.

Otherwise, yeah i can see how if you had multiple of those in one fight it could be rough and annoying.
>>
>>52954953
>charts
...but they did? How many times does .2 go into 1? Same idea. Its just math.

Granted, you still have to recalc off of the neutral base stat each time you get a new stage one direction or the other, otherwise you risk doubling down and a +2 is closer to +2.5 or so.
>>
>>52955238
They did not. They wrote down a multiplications chart and nowhere do they tell the player that Combat Stages are +1 ever 5 for positive, and -1 for every 10 for negative. They do say to compare it to the Stat Evasions, but that's not actually accurate.
>>
>>52955064
Noted. In a more traditional Pokemon game, I would definitely agree.

>>52954751
>>52954951
Also I should probably expand further and mention that my game and its setting limit 'trainers' to 3 total Party Pokemon, and 3 total in Storage accessible in 'town'. If they catch a '7th' or more they will be held in a temporary storage until they can safely determine which 6 to keep, releasing the rest.
Other than for the sake of my setting, I hope this keeps things simple for players. They only have to keep track of 6 total. And only 3 to switch between in battles/dungeons.
>>
>>52955287
Is there much of a point to such a restrictive PC? I get the 3 member team, absolutely, but the storage feels like it could be more of a hassle than anything depending on how many you let them catch.
>>
>>52955358
The point is to urge them against catching everything under the sun, and to be more strategic about it.
Again, this is not the standard par Pokemon game.
>>
>>52938154
>> Game is Pokemon world gone Grim dark where Giovanni took over the world and we're all resistance fighters trying to free the world.
>free the world
>from a capitalist villain that earns cash on a casino and invests said money to create artificial pokemon so he can be the very best
The fuck kind of "grim" future is that?

If anything it would force Mewtwo to interfere and murder every human on the planet, possibly making a pokemon rebellion against humans.
>>
>>52955428
Assuming Giovanni won against Red at Silph Co, he'd gain control of Mewtwo with the Master Ball. And then according to that post, apparently keep cloning more and more of it? It's assuming game Mewtwo that's just an insanely strong monster I think, not anime Mewtwo who is a full-on god with Frankenstein issues.
>>
Shilling a homebrew a friend made. I think it's a PTU-mod, but I've never really played Apocalypse World, so what do I know.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15GUswubqQcQEkHJKi0ZLfQpuRmvKKhMc1LqvMv29FMk/edit

I've only played it PbP, but I found it pretty fun, and it doesn't autistically try to replicate the games (e.g. by statting out every single move). I'd personally add a ±1d6 according to type effectiveness though, but ymmv.
It's also not that optimal for comfy Pokémon adventures, I'd think.
>>
>>52955179
We did not. How would that work exactly?
>>
>>52955273
They tell you in the math. If you cant figure that out, thats on you.
>>
>>52955725
You're as dense and unhelpful as the people who wrote that book.
>>
File: 1425578705336.png (58KB, 576x404px) Image search: [Google]
1425578705336.png
58KB, 576x404px
>>52955428
>>52955504 has the right idea. Remember im only a PC not the GM. Red / Ash never went on his adventure so Giovanni was able to takeover the world without anyone stopping Jessie and James or Team Rocket. Every Rocket grunt has a mewtwo by the way. So it can be a challenge.

In reality Giovanni is dead and arceus has taken over his body to kill all humans and replace the world with pokemon at the top. The rocket grunts are just useful idiots
>>
>>52955743
Dude, you dont have to be a math major to figure that out. In fact, I'd assume after a couple times of noticing how 25 goes to 30, someone would get the point.

Even then, using a calculator is in no an act of blasphemy. Not everyone can do the math in their head. Its a tool, not a crutch if you find it helpful.

Plus it speeds up combat so...
>>
>>52945264
What's a Channeira? Google search gives nothing
>>
>>52956466
Probably means Chansey.
>>
File: 1489618579283.jpg (19KB, 480x342px) Image search: [Google]
1489618579283.jpg
19KB, 480x342px
>>52933813

I think if I had to run a Pokemon RPG, I'd frame players as controlling the entire Trainer/Pokemon party as a single unit:

- Emphasis on each Pokemon's unique utility, derived from physical characteristics and abilities
- Very simplified combat rolls, resolving all attacks at once, akin to squad-based TTGs (probably custom dice for attacks/special attacks/maybe even working damage types into the mix)
- Actions to forego combat to better coordinate/dodge/execute special moves
- Trainer's stats functioning as a success modifier for different rolls

I'm sure it would deviate considerably from the video-game format, but every time I hear about a game managing trainers, plus multiples of unique Pokemon, it sounds like a big headache.
>>
File: pokemon rpg.pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon rpg.pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>
>>52959797
That's trash
>>
>>52959797
this system has served me well.
>>
>>52954912
You only need to make as many as are going to appear.
>>
>>52937805
How the hell did you get 3,628,800 players in one game?
>>
>>52933813
I ran a PTU game with a bunch of first time roleplayers. I had no experience running anything, but we all grew up on Pokemon and everyone was really excited for it.

I helped them make their characters no problem. The setting was the poke-prohibition, and everyone was set to found a Team Rocket style gang.

After the first fight, (an organ grinder with a couple aipoms) I realized I couldn't make the game run without losing the interest of half of my party. Everything after that was 70% me bullshitting to make things faster. All of my players learned how to do 2-3 things, and everything else was me rolling dice and pretending I had just warmed up and remembered how the system worked.

Everyone had a blast after I started doing that, so at least I didn't ruin anybody's first experience with tabletop. Then again, I didn't really have a great handle on the system going in, so I can't blame PTU for me not being prepared.
>>
>>52933813
>How would one make a Pokemon tabletop game that didn't suck, and / or fix one of the ones that exists?
I wouldn't. I'd just play the existing games that I liked.
>>
File: sad_popplio.jpg (23KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
sad_popplio.jpg
23KB, 600x401px
>>52933813
>Alola update for PTU when?

Seriously, it's been almost 6 months!
>>
>>52964790
The devs said they are reworking the whole game basically, and they tend to take awhile on stuff.
>>
>>52964801
But I want it now...
They said they would release the alolan pokedex without making any changes on version 1.05
My group has translated a few but I would rather they had released the new pokedex and then started reworking the system instead of making us wait one year or more for version 2.0
>>
>>52964869
I mean the only thing you need to do for yourself are Skills, Capabilities, and exactly how often Abilities are. All the numbers for new moves and stats are there.
>>
>>52964869
They released the abilities for new Pokemon which is all you really needed, but... they are not very good. There's a lot of messed up shit in there.
>>
File: weezing-crying.jpg (39KB, 628x340px) Image search: [Google]
weezing-crying.jpg
39KB, 628x340px
>>52965080
Just checked the list, will the suffering ever end?
>>
>>52965080
>There's a lot of messed up shit in there.
Sounds like PTU.
>>
how bad are the alola pokemon in comparison to say Johto ?
>>
>>52967391
Johto has the most boring mons, Unova has the most ugly and over-designed, Alola one are good, on par with Kanto if you ask me.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.