[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TTRPG System for Modern Combat in Contemporary Settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: rhodesian sas sketch.jpg (295KB, 1090x776px) Image search: [Google]
rhodesian sas sketch.jpg
295KB, 1090x776px
I've only been playing tabletop for about a year now (I played and DM'd in DnD 5e and I've been reading about GURPS for the past few days) and I've fallen in love with the concept of both roleplaying your characters and the turn-based combat that DnD provides. However, while it's been pretty fun, I'm a bit of a history buff and I would love to play campaigns featuring military espionage and mercenary companies in more contemporary settings such as the Cold War.

When I've asked what system to use for this, I've mostly been recommended GURPS, but I'm trying to look into other systems too. Mostly because I'd like it to be pretty open-ended (have rules and tables for being able to operate military vehicles and using several kinds of firearms, including automatic rifles and pistols; along with other features that aren't really viable through DnD 5e).

TL;DR: Basically, I want to know what's the best system to do a campaign centered around fighting in 20th century wars like the Rhodesian Bush War and the Vietnam War.
>>
Ops and Tactics is pretty good in my opinion.
You can find its pdfs online by searching for the title.
Huge selection of weapons.
>>
>>52925527

Thanks man, I'll look into it. Does it have anything on armored vehicles? Or do I have to work around the rules and homebrew it?
>>
>>52925541
Its been a while.
It focuses on the people more with sparse vehicle rules.
If you want better vehicle rules you could refluff Only War which is about playing Guard in WH40k
>>
>>52925527
>>52925541
>>52925608

I'm skimming through it and this seems to be pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'll take your advice on refluffing Only War. Thank you so much man.
>>
>>52925661
No problem. Good luck!
>>
>>52925097
>Mostly because I'd like it to be pretty open-ended (have rules and tables for being able to operate military vehicles and using several kinds of firearms, including automatic rifles and pistols; along with other features that aren't really viable through DnD 5e).
So, GURPS?
>>
Check out Twilight 2013. I've heard it has a very good system for simulating tactical firefights.
>>
the twilight games get modern combat pretty spot on if you dont mind some serious crunch involved in the game play.
>>
Yeah, GURPS.
The GURPS Action books for action movie, and Gun-Fu for even more cinematic stuff. GURPS Tactical Shooting and GURPS High Tech can cover the rules for the gritty side but I can't recall if there's a genre guide book for gritty in GURPS... GURPS Action is both a genre guide and and contains useful rules for cool car chases.

In addition to being good for gritty or action-movie modern day stuff, GURPS also has GURPS Mass Combat, which is a very nice subsystem for setting up and resolving LARGE scale combat of armies vs armies, and includes rules for the impact of the PCs where applicable.

The only problem with GURPS is that the basic set is REALLY POORLY LAID OUT FOR LEARNING. Head over to the GURPS general for tips, and also pick up 'How to be a GURPS GM.'
>>
>>52928118

I greatly appreciate the advice, the learning curve for the core books is really steep and it's a bit overwhelming at times.

>>52927800
>>52927268

I kinda like crunching numbers, so I don't mind that part. Thing is, I've been looking for PDFs and I can't really find any, and the core book costs over a hundred dollars. I definitely like the concept though, so I'll keep searching. Either way, thanks, it seems like a pretty neat system for firefights.
>>
>>52928911

As soon as I say that, see this link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/58794/T2013-Twilight-2013-Core-Rules?term=twilight+2013&test_epoch=0

Guess I'll buy the PDF.
>>
>>52928911
I'm actually running a modern game in GURPS and could do with another player if you want to see what it's like. I'm in Australia so timezones might not work. It's on saturdays. Even if you only join for a couple of sessions the way the campaign works it could make sense.
>>
>>52929066

I'm honored! What time do you usually host over there? I just noticed that it's a 10 hour difference, so if you host at night, I'd only have to wake up early in the morning to play.
>>
File: times.png (23KB, 1003x250px) Image search: [Google]
times.png
23KB, 1003x250px
>>52929103
We normally play in the afternoon my time. There is another American player, but his sleeping pattern is weird.
I just checked my time converter (pic related) and our normal starting time 2:30pm AEST is definitely late for you. We could possibly move it back so it's earlier.
>>
>>52929197

Usually, I wouldn't mind playing late at night, but the thing is that my group plays on Saturday nights and the sessions are usually all-nighters, so moving it back wouldn't do much. I'll see if I can talk to my group about moving the sessions earlier, so that I could play with you guys.

However, I wouldn't want to interrupt the session
>>
>>52929285

Oh, and for reference, my time zone is EST.
>>
>>52929285
>>52929302

>However, I wouldn't want to interrupt the session

Disregard that whole comment, I recently woke up and forgot to delete it.
>>
>>52929316
But it'd be Friday night for you, because of timezones. (Australian Saturday is American Friday). If you're still interested add Legendsmith#1102 in discord.
>>
>>52930523

Oh, then that's perfect! I'll add you soon.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.