[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every fantasy setting is Eurocentric, for the most part. Sure,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 51

File: bear and peaches.jpg (98KB, 604x446px) Image search: [Google]
bear and peaches.jpg
98KB, 604x446px
Every fantasy setting is Eurocentric, for the most part. Sure, you'll get the occasional far east setting, and maybe a north Africa and Arabia setting

But what about a setting based off America? Using American archetypes, and American culture? What would that be like?
>>
>>52923112
Better idea: Half Native American Myths and Legends, Half American Folk Tales.

Paul Bunyan, John Henry, and Johnny Appleseed are Demigods that walk the land gathering followers and enemies, with the Native American Shamans using their connection to the natural spirits to fight off the white man invasion.
>>
>>52923112
America has no culture

I'm speaking as an American here
>>
>>52923213
>Native American Shamans using their connection to the natural spirits to fight off the white man invasion.

>Not the Snake God of Detroit
>Not the Underwater Panther
>Not the Thunderbird
>>
>>52923213
Best idea is having there be something strange about the new lands that twist old gods into something strange and unique when they come here. All the fantasy races have some presence in this land, and they're blending into something strange and terrible

Like, IIRC, John Henry was based off an African legend about a dude who perished after slaying a hydra.
>>
>>52923243
debate me
>>
>>52923112
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Americana_(DnD_Campaign_Setting)

Bam right there! Made by fa/tg/uys long ago based on the myths, legends, and a bit of actual history of the good ol' U S of A.

I am a fan of the fluff about the magic schools all being across the country with the Chicago school being a myth that may very well be true.

On a related note why does nobody ever bring this setting up whenever we have this thread?
>>
>>52923213
I've actually been working on a colonial american fantasy setting for some time now

Basically what happens is europeans come to the new world and discover the natives got alchemy working, so they have some modest cities and slightly advanced technologies. the hitch is that they rely on scarce alchemical catalysts and complex ritual processes that can quickly drain the life right out of the alchemist, so it never kicked off a magical industrial revolution

long story short the revolution happens but colonial expansion basically stops because the natives have actual city states in the way. and george washington establishes the first continental alchemist guild. and wendigos and skinwalkers are a problem.
>>
File: enjoying a drink.jpg (403KB, 940x592px) Image search: [Google]
enjoying a drink.jpg
403KB, 940x592px
Alright niggas, I got folk monsters and superstitions, and I could probably put together a list of folk heroes, but it'll take me forever to go through all my books

what do you want, my friends
>>
>>52923325
Different anon.
Fantasy settings are based on mythic culture. America has none. Now, if you're looking for a steampunk or setting or something like that, America has tonnes of culture. You have mafia dons and the wild west and all that good shit. If you're looking for something from before the use of gunpowder, however, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>52923112
>American culture
You tell me about it, OP. We already have one shitty thread about nonpopular cultures with lazy faggot OP. Have you just made another?
>>
>>52923444
did you have access to books growing up or did you just ignore them
>>
>>52923444
Hasn't we talk about native american?
>>
>>52923478
Yes. What are you implying?
>>
>>52923493
No? OP made no mention of native americans, and his pic was related to colonial America.
>>
>>52923438
Sources, first, and how much it cost to get them.
>>
>>52923498
The fact that settlers of the land had quite a few tall tales and superstitions.

Far as characters go see >>52923213

I count folk tales as American cultural myths.
>>
File: 1487910984945.jpg (581KB, 700x538px) Image search: [Google]
1487910984945.jpg
581KB, 700x538px
>>52923444
>Fantasy settings are based on mythic culture. America has none. Now, if you're looking for a steampunk or setting or something like that, America has tonnes of culture. You have mafia dons and the wild west and all that good shit. If you're looking for something from before the use of gunpowder, however, you're shit out of luck.
In spite of your digits, you're full of shit. Charles M. Skinner always argued back at the turn of the 20th century that American myths would become as Important to America as the old world myths were to the Europeans. America is no different from any other people, we had a large population of isolated farmers in small communities of a largely unexplored new world full of strange creatures and weird phenomenon. Its how you get things like Old Scratch, Whoo doo magic men, brier rabbit, the jack o' latern (I've read various versions of the American tale, but they all end the same way: A man is cast out of hell for being too mean/clever/strong, and is forced to wander around with a piece of Hell fire, looking for a place of eternal rest), Old Storm-along, Davey Crockett doing stuff like thawing the sun so the earth wont freeze still, The Ol' Grey Mare, the Windham Frogs, Uncle Kaler, Bow-leg Bill, all the numerous Jack Tales about fighting old Tush and the Fire Dragaman, Hold-the-line Johnson, the deformed of Zoar, the Devil's stepping stones, decades of stories about the Stone Throwing Devils of New England, the Ramapo Salamander, and countless more fantastical stories about larger than life people and magical forces. There's centuries of original stories arising, for each and every region in the United States. You could be a thick folklore book on Amazon for any state you wanted to, the problem is is that you wont because you believe that America never had any culture for some retarded reason
>>
>>52923472
what do you want to know
>>
>>52923112
>Everything Lovecraft ever wrote
>plus Poe, Irving, and Hawthorne

Throw in Steven King I guess, not that he's good but he does what you're talking about often
>>
>>52923775
>implying

Try Emerson, Longfellow, O'Henry, Twain, and Hawthorne
>>
>>52923699
Tell me about your culture
>>
File: freedom australia.jpg (178KB, 800x1103px) Image search: [Google]
freedom australia.jpg
178KB, 800x1103px
>>52923660
I think you are vastly overestimating the value of America's obscure myth, and I think you're doing this because you don't know any of the other obscure myths from other cultures.

Let me elaborate. Greek mythology have produced what many consider to be one of the most famous mythologies ever. Stories of Troy and the Gods are famous over 2000 years after the fact. BUT, there's a whole bunch of obscure, downright boring Greek myths that never became famous because they weren't any good.

American folk tales are the obscure american myths that never became any good. The good mythology - with cowboys and superheroes and Al Capone - actually HAVE become as important to the world as the tales of Ancient Greece and King Arthur, just like your pal Skinner said they would. They have because they're good myths. The others aren't.

If you want to base a setting of american mythology, don't make it off folk legends, because no good settings are ever based off folk legends. This unfortunately means that you're not gonna be able to make a fantasy setting off of American mythology because all of the good shit is a lot more modern. Or, rather, you're not gonna be able to make a traditional fantasy setting. You'll probably get something like Shadowrun or Iron Kingdoms or other things that get pretentious names like "dungeon-punk."

pic unrelated
>>
>>52923444
The great American mythic drama of travelling Out West, where one could escape and make for their self whatever they desire in the rugged-need of empty land?
>>
File: Alaska_Northern_Lights.jpg (478KB, 1500x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Alaska_Northern_Lights.jpg
478KB, 1500x1128px
>>52923243

Only your part of it, SoCal. Alaska has taken all the western culture your nerds have driven away. Heck, more people know about Alaskan culture than they do the culture of Malta or Luxembourg! We're among the states even a foreigner could name!
>>
>>52923830
Conversely, I think you are vastly over estimating the value of such ancient greek myths. Their popularity and historical significance is tied to a lot more than the mere quality of the writing. There have been a lot of highly praised pieces of literature from American authors like >>52923813 says that never got a chance gesticulate because of the rapid encroachment of modernity, and the baggage that came from millennium of Western cultural canon. The Greeks had a historical relevance and lack of literary precedent that made their works pillars of western myth, where as you do not see the same kind of influence held in say Irish mythology, even though it is full of entertaining stuff. These "obscure" American myths were at some point well known yarns told for fun across the country, but were snuffed out because they were deemed to lack a level of gravitas to make them fashionable. I would not say that there is an intrinsic lack of quality that made these stories fall to the way-side, but rather a shifting world that prevented the solidification of a strong American quasi-mythical background

pic unrelated
>>
>>52923112
Maybe we should a non-Eurocentric general, these threads pop up a lot. Then again I enjoy them.
>>
>>52924058
The last thing this board needs is more generals, guy

Probably just a trend like all those 40k faction generator threads that were all over the place
>>
File: do it, faggot.jpg (25KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
do it, faggot.jpg
25KB, 320x320px
>>52924006
You don't see Irish mythology because the Irish were never world powers.

The mythology that gets passed on is the best mythology from whatever culture is dominant at the time. This is why we have Gilgamesh, Troy, King Arthur, and Al Capone, in that order.

And it doesn't matter if these american myths were known by every american, because nobody across the pond rightly gives a rat's ass about Johny Appleseed. That's why people don't care about fucking Tom Sawyer, even though that story DOES have literary gravitas.
>>
>>52924081
So what's your point, that people don't care? Or that you can't make a setting out of it because people don't care
>>
>>52924006
Well, I can think of one thing that kept American myths from being a big deal: monotheism. Well that and most of the myths have dumb real-life names like Paul Bunyan or Johnny Appleseed.

The closest thing to an internationally-recognized American myth there is is Bigfoot.
>>
>>52923890
I'm from the Bronx
>>
>>52924097
Eh, there's some work around there with demons, angels, saints, native Americans, and different manifestations of Satan.
>>
>>52924096
I'm saying you can't make a setting from it becasue its bad. I've already said that, rather.

I mention it because you asked why it's unpopular. I told you.
>>
>>52923584
I can't recommend the Botkin enough. He's got bulky bucks on the subjects, all transcriptions of primary sources, by region. Each on you can get for like 3-7 bucks. American Imagination at work, Folkore in American Literature, and Myths and Legends of our Own Land are also really good and follow suit with the organization and primary sources. Everything else you need a special interest in, I feel.
>>
>>52923112
Deadlands
>Making two threads on different boards

OP is a massive faggot
>>
>>52924192
But why is it bad, just boring to you because there's no elves?
>>
>>52924272
>>Making two threads on different boards
what other board
>>
>>52924097
>Well, I can think of one thing that kept American myths from being a big deal: monotheism.
How so? I can't remember God being mentioned in American talltales and myths at all. Modern American myths are basically polytheistic with many superhuman characters akin to gods and irrelevant Demiurge somewhere off the screen.
>>
>>52924272
OP, here
This is the only thread I made. If you want, I have >>52923438 to post

really, I just wanted to talk about American folklore
>>
>>52924273
No Elves in the wind west either. Difference is, the wild west gets better when you add elves, sleepy hollow gets slightly better with elves, and Davy Crockett is just as shitty as it was before when you add elves.

Now, where's the other anon? I preferred arguing with him more. He had actual points, instead of whatever you call that.
>>
>>52924286
/int/, same OP image and everything.
>>52924313
This isn't you?
>>>/int/74120406
>>
>>52924361
I, too, want clarification.
>>
>>52924361
Kek, looks like someone's >>52924313
pants are on fire
>>
>>52924361
No, but I'm flattered someone copied it. I did think about making this thread on /his/ but I figured it'd be better suited here
>>
>>52924398
My OP picture has a file name, why would I need to redownload my own picture
>>
>>52923243
Read Crevecoeur, Franklin, and Cotton Mather or John Adams if you really want to.
>>
>>52923243
You only say America has no culture because you're soaking in American culture as you speak.

It's the same reason why SJW's say whites have no culture, because most SJW's are white tumblrites.

Ask any immigrant to America from a non-white nation (or hell, any nation), who has learned about America. They will tell you America has culture.
>>
>>52924446
That's a good question. The thread from /int/ is also almost an hour older than yours.

Gentlemen, I think it can be assumed that there's an /int/poster among us whose stolen our thread ideas.
>>
>>52924464
See >>52923819
>>
>>52924471
>this thread: 23:41:26 (one hour 40 minutes ago
>/int/ thread: 00:18:32 (one hour 4 minutes)

got my noggin joggin
>>
>>52924418
I got you anon.
>>
>>52924471
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And hey, if they keep it up maybe we can get them to argue about Quests as well.
>>
>>52924505
I can't. I'm American therefore I only inherently understand my culture, making it hard to explain.

Instead, try google.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States
>>
File: aus.png (199KB, 600x1042px) Image search: [Google]
aus.png
199KB, 600x1042px
>>52924531
Does that mean we get to steal some of their memes?
>>
>>52924549
Do they have any good besides the one where Thailand/Korea(can't remember which one it was) rips Japan a new one?
>>
>>52923112
>But what about a setting based off America? Using American archetypes, and American culture? What would that be like?
obese rednecks, driving in electric wheelchairs, equipped with guns and burgers, killing non-us-citizens and niggers in the name of emperor Trump
done
>>
File: moldova.jpg (317KB, 1280x908px) Image search: [Google]
moldova.jpg
317KB, 1280x908px
>>52924572
yes
>>
>ctrl + f
>"mormons"
>no results

This is /tg/. Dogs in the Vineyard exists. Come on now.
Get better at reading yourself into the Bible lads.
>>
>>52923243
Yeah nah, people who say "X has no culture" always lie so long as X means any kind of sapiant being.
>>
>>52924615
how old are you?
>>
File: Sheikh BTFO.jpg (3MB, 2860x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Sheikh BTFO.jpg
3MB, 2860x4032px
>>52924572
Also this

Also, the /intl/ guys from 8gag made this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
>>52924534
I already know this. I want American to describe his own culture in few words so I can see what he thinks are important parts of it.
>>
File: 25d63d317a0ad911e26a6a9f5f072921.jpg (588KB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
25d63d317a0ad911e26a6a9f5f072921.jpg
588KB, 1600x1236px
>>52923213
Thats not a better idea.

I like this. Medieval Americans.

There are so many places you can go with this.
>>
>>52924633
>>
>>52924657
Two words.
Rock.
and Roll.
>>
>>52924623
Mormon here. I was gonna say, but I get a special happy feeling where my ego is whenever 4chan mentions DOTV and how good it is, and that it's based on the first Mormon missionaries and colonists.

So... Anyone want to hear why Mormons believe Ouija boards and devil worship actually works?
>>
>>52924657

You can't really quantify culture like that. Culture is many things and it's hard to simplify it.
>>
>>52924657
We are the most rebellious people on the planet. Our government, business, family, homelife, all of it, complete anarchy.
>>
In America, a person can be born with every advantage, wealth, good breeding, the right connections, and still end up shooting smack and selling their body on the street.

In America, a kid who grew up with two lesbian crack addict mothers who used to beat him so bad they sent him to the hospital can grow up to be a neurosurgeon.

There is no rhyme or reason here, anything can happen and frequently does.
>>
>>52924684
>Mormon here.
>So... Anyone want to hear why Mormons believe Ouija boards and devil worship actually works?

YES. Explain. Now.
>>
>>52924684
Cause god allows it to work?
>>
>>52924674
>>52924687
That's good
>>
>>52924713
America is like watching an explosion that never ends. Everywhere you look, life, vibrancy, colors. And when the colors are drab and the neighborhoods look ugly, the people glow. They glow with this sort of inner light.
>>
>>52924657
Three things: pride in humble lifestyles, Independence, and friendliness towards strangers. I firmly believe these are the foundations of the ideal American. Now, American culture is overtly fractional because of how big the country is, and the history and isolation of parts. It's easier to describe the cultures of each state
>>
>>52924761
America never stops. Its like a jungle canopy that creeps back into the roads before you can cut a trail. A riotous profusion of lifestyles, customs and ideals, all of them, living here, interacting, mingling, become something more than what they were.
>>
>>52924663
But dude, back on subject, you have to promote this idea!

Medieval Americans sounds like the shit! People with red white and blue metal armor, the flag on their shield, the heraldry...
>>
File: 1381106057185.jpg (30KB, 947x159px) Image search: [Google]
1381106057185.jpg
30KB, 947x159px
>>52924572
/int/ is great
>>
File: 1381106885342.png (103KB, 1272x1242px) Image search: [Google]
1381106885342.png
103KB, 1272x1242px
>>52924881
>>
File: Lockwood-Colbert.jpg (78KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Lockwood-Colbert.jpg
78KB, 960x720px
>>52924867
Just replace his face with someone who gives a crap about America
>>
File: 1491671065879.jpg (24KB, 661x528px) Image search: [Google]
1491671065879.jpg
24KB, 661x528px
>>52923112
We have a thread about this every couple of days. Its a tie between 'lets make a fantasy setting based on america!' and 'what would a slavic fantasy setting look like?'. It never goes anywhere apart from vague wankery about how lovely America is and some talk about native folklore.

Can't we talk about... idk, Malta, Argentina, Greenland, Belgium, Cuba or one of the other thousands of countries or cultures?
>>
File: 1381107368067.png (2MB, 1818x1230px) Image search: [Google]
1381107368067.png
2MB, 1818x1230px
>>52924908
>>
>>52923112

OP I'm literally making a setting right now based on the midwest and Appalachia. I spent the better part of the week making stat blocks for cryptids like the hide-behind, taily-po, pukwudgie, skinwalker, Enfield monster, and hodag. It's very "Lumberjack Gothic."

Paul Bunyan is a legendary benevolent hill giant who helped clear the initial forest. At some point he's going to be resurrected as a mind-controlled zombie and summom the ghost of Babe like it's Bunyan's Bizarre Adventure.
>>
File: 1381107054550.png (40KB, 737x172px) Image search: [Google]
1381107054550.png
40KB, 737x172px
>>52924925

>>52924918
>greenland

A game about drinking yourself to death while sled dogs eat your kids because you didn't bother feeding them in the summer period?
>>
>>52924918
NO FUCK YOU
ITS AMERICAS TURN
>>
>>52924973
So Slavs again tomorrow?
>>
>>52924973
Just like last time.
>>
File: 1381107263331.png (8KB, 974x119px) Image search: [Google]
1381107263331.png
8KB, 974x119px
>>52924964
>>
DUDE!
If there are ghost that means baptists are clerics! Fucking ministers be all like "turn undead" and shit! Plus you get the zombie huntin' angle... maybe give them old blunderbuss or something that'd be rad!
>>
>>52924657
Where a European might ask "who is he?" Americans will ask "what can he do?"

That's what the lack of nobility or salaried bureaucratic positions will do. No one cares who a man is so long as they can do work. Likely part of the reason the country ended up with industrial tycoons and monopolies some hundred years after being founded.

This isn't entirely true unfortunately and honestly wasn't entirely true to begin with. Fuck Catholics and fuck blacks but the idea is nice and certainly held sway among businessmen.
>>
File: 1381107297103.png (176KB, 1348x347px) Image search: [Google]
1381107297103.png
176KB, 1348x347px
>>52924985
>>
>>52924985
lol
>>
>>52924964
So a survival-based game? What kind of enemies could it have?

>>52924983
Those are my favourite. I love hearing the two or three facts /tg/ knows about poland repeated ad nauseum.
>>
>>52924918
Greenlandic folklore is the single most horrific shit ever, so this would be an interesting thing to explore
>Spirits possessing human bodies that kill whole villages
>Sea goblins that drag you underwater late at night
>Demons that blend into the snow that kills you slowly via tickling you to death with its claws (aka frostbite).
>Shapeshifters with inverted eyes and mouths
>Shadow people that make no noise when moving
>Worm-gods that are the size of a continent sleeping underneath the ice
>>
I wish every thread were like int
>>
>>52925040
just give every board flags, I'm sure it would devolve into it eventually
>>
>>52925040
Why not post on /int/ then?
>>
File: 1381107415317.png (194KB, 1531x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1381107415317.png
194KB, 1531x1029px
>>52925013
>>
>>52925036
>>52924964
I'm sensing a survival horror setting brewing
>>
But like, who would be "King" of america? You would have to divide up america in seperate kingdoms, at least three of them

Southwest
Midwest
East Coast
>>
File: 1382851603644.jpg (35KB, 974x160px) Image search: [Google]
1382851603644.jpg
35KB, 974x160px
>>52925048
This

>>52925013

>>52925005
Nah, from where I live Americans seem overly obsessed with status.
>>
But medieval america is unique in that we never had an american culture as a medieval fiefdom. I mean, what would it be like if you mixed old english camelot culture with american accents and standards?

Like would we grow 500 lbs hens, eat them, get sick and die?
>>
>>52925059
America would be a merchant republic ruled by various princedoms
>>
>>52925013
I don't get it? Can someone explain the joke?
>>
>>52925052
>"US and Gernamy. i know you have weapons 'Laser Beam'. give it us to complete Gundam."
Oh my god it's fucking adorable.
>>
>>52925057
Well, there's been a survival game loosely based on it already, so sure.
>>
>>52925084
East coast?

I was pulling from how Franklin described America to the French. Like I said, unfortunately no longer accurate.
>>
>>52925100
It would be hilarious as a self deprecating exercise in British and American humor. It could take after the stylings of Mark Twain and Mike Webb.
>>
>wanting medieval America

But why.

America was made to destroy the Great Chain of Being, not follow it.

>from my point of view, equality is evil!
>>
>>52923112

Eric Powell's Hillbilly comic series.
>>
>>52925100
I once had someone in a campaign who based his Cavalier off of American and cowboy steryotypes. He named him Flynt Westland, and he rode a giant eagle. It was great.
>>
File: 1408394764894.jpg (41KB, 556x532px) Image search: [Google]
1408394764894.jpg
41KB, 556x532px
>>52925057
Make PCs kids for extra effect. I don't think a lot of game settings combine supernatural horror with alcoholism, drugs abuse, child abuse, being eaten or horrifically scarred by hungry dogs and a natural environment that's also potentially very dangerous.

>>52925084
>>
>>52923660
I remember back in school learning about Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, Davy Crocket, and that nigger with a sledgehammer. My son doesn't have any idea who they are. Our education system is failing to pass on our culture - actively killing it, to be frank. America has culture, we have myths. It's just getting destroyed in the name of progessiveism.
>>
>>52923243

Fuck off liberal, you sure ain't takin' mah magic.
>>
>>52925100
Didn't Twain write something about it?
>>
>>52925133
But don't you see the irony? America has become so backwards that they have simply supplanted the old monarchy and replaced it with a new one.
>>
>>52925166
>tfw they used to teach that Jackson was the greatest president because he was untouched by European ideas
>now they're trying to force the title "Bloody" Jackson on him because it's what the Europeans did

I just want to go to space and be free of this.
We can just not import Old-world prisoners, thereby avoiding the mess that was S. Carolina and Georgia. Just pure, free, separatism and a desire to make something better.
>>
>>52925196
t. Someone who doesn't understand what a monarchy is
>>
>>52925196
Yes, but the difference is we've programmed revolution into the system. Every 4 years we try to overthrow the old leader with a new one.
>>
File: America's Fearsome Creatures.pdf (498KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
America's Fearsome Creatures.pdf
498KB, 1x1px
>>52924962
Need more monsters, man? I've got about 200+, maybe you'll find something you don't already have
>>
>>52925166
>actively killing it, to be frank
It's not killing culture, it is replacing what you perceive as your culture with what we outsiders perceive as your culture
>>
File: 1415654063963.png (43KB, 1421x568px) Image search: [Google]
1415654063963.png
43KB, 1421x568px
>>52925120
Danish, been Christian proto socialists since Grundtvig.

>>52925109
German humor is no laughing matter, also they wear socks with sandals.
>>
>>52925210
Well, if Europe was divided between the Aristocracy, the Church, and Everyone Else, then America has been divided up into Wall Street, the Media, and Everyone Else.

I agree that monarchy is the wrong term, but I think I see what he's getting at.
Really, cyberpunk settings with minimum Asian flavoring feels very Aristocratic to me.
>>
>>52925210
shut up, i'm being figurative.
of course we are not LITERALLY a monarchy, but its highlighting the way things are headed.
I'm using hyperbole to emphasize the message.

If you can't see why having a medieval fiefdom set in america with american culture could be funny, maybe you don't understand comedy.
>>
>>52925257
Like all the knights are eating buckets of KFC and their bellies are bulging out from under their plate mail, people invest in the local "stockmarket" of peas and chickens and go broke gambling on cabbage futures...
>>
>>52925207
Don't worry, in my country nobody teaches about Jackson. His memory remains untouched.
>>
File: 1434104895785.jpg (2MB, 3217x3189px) Image search: [Google]
1434104895785.jpg
2MB, 3217x3189px
>>52925246
>>
>>52925246
That was sick burn
>>
>>52925285
It would just be a forum for foriegners to poke fun at Americans.

You could have King George Washington get a visit from his dad overseas and poke fun at the UK.

You could make the UN a good 'ol boys club with this schtick, I'm telling you.
>>
>>52925285
Sounds terrible. More like

>the KFC knight passes through his lord YUM!'s fief, stopping to inspect the harvest
>he sees prosperous autobody shops and car washes, sure to keep the local serfs engaged, while serving his lord by ensuring a steady flow of revenue from the drive-thru
>>
>>52925285
KFC stands for the Knights of the Free Court, right?
>>
>>52925237
sure, you have monsters, but who wants to just go out and fight a monster with no treasure?

Beat them up AND take their stuff..
>>
>>52925334
Ohhhhhh daaaaaayyym!!!
>>
File: 1415657038657.png (132KB, 884x756px) Image search: [Google]
1415657038657.png
132KB, 884x756px
>>52925298
/int/ has really made me appreciate the Japanese.
>>
File: 1418678275002.jpg (250KB, 919x1267px) Image search: [Google]
1418678275002.jpg
250KB, 919x1267px
>>52925349
>>
>>52925321
Yeah, but instead of cars they have mechanical horses, and they all look like crap and break down constantly.

Then you could have a German horse that never breaks down, costs less and has been around for 50 years..
>>
File: 1415658140275.jpg (78KB, 931x486px) Image search: [Google]
1415658140275.jpg
78KB, 931x486px
>>52925362
>>
File: 1415657584808.png (67KB, 842x871px) Image search: [Google]
1415657584808.png
67KB, 842x871px
>>52925375
>>
>>52925375
how do i let people know i understand it without giving away the joke?
>>
>>52925335
Wishbones have some precedent in American fantasy, they'll grant you wishes when you snap them. You find them in monster dens according to tradition.

All buried treasure is guarded by the devil, who will gladly tell you where any are and how to get it for your eternal soul

Often times in stories, parts of the beast itself will be rewards, like with the powder snake, who's venomous powder was used to make safe the swamp that surrounded the village of the story
>>
File: 1415654776639.jpg (49KB, 1338x198px) Image search: [Google]
1415654776639.jpg
49KB, 1338x198px
>>52925387
>>
File: 1415658412415.png (91KB, 1331x350px) Image search: [Google]
1415658412415.png
91KB, 1331x350px
>>52925407
>>
>>52925407
ohhhhh, cause white cause surrender, awwwww
sick burn dude, sick.

Two bad maybe one other person in the room got that.
>>
>>52925375
>>52925395
I don't get it but I really want to. Please tell me?
>>
File: 1415658346801.png (2MB, 1366x1902px) Image search: [Google]
1415658346801.png
2MB, 1366x1902px
>>52925433

>>52925395
A question for the ages.
>>
>>52925444
White Pig Go Home.
Please be ashamed of your ignorance.
>>
File: 1415657749070.jpg (86KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
1415657749070.jpg
86KB, 550x412px
>>52925440
Are you French?

The joke is that it took so little for the frog to get so buttblasted, which for a time was the norm on /int/.
>>
>>52925460
Thank you
>>
does anyone have that one /int/ cap where an american posted a gif of ketchup being poured on a croisant in a french general thread, and the thread exploded?
>>
>>52925485
nope. American
>>
File: 1415656920211.png (51KB, 1259x195px) Image search: [Google]
1415656920211.png
51KB, 1259x195px
>>52925485
>>
>>52925485
What disturbs me is thinking on what they are betting on.
>>
File: 1408638244118.png (57KB, 1344x424px) Image search: [Google]
1408638244118.png
57KB, 1344x424px
>>52925506
>>
File: 1415657879659.png (2MB, 1674x1533px) Image search: [Google]
1415657879659.png
2MB, 1674x1533px
>>52925523
>>
>>52925485
Nothing is worse than when something flies over your head for about 5 seconds and leaves you stunned. Just standing there, with that slack jawed look on your face, then the total surprise when you get it, it just makes you want to slap yourself.

Nobody likes being made to look like an idiot, even if they are one.
>>
>>52925555
dude, what the hell?
The guys got a cell phone but can't afford a pot to shit in!
>>
File: 1415657613301.jpg (131KB, 1829x313px) Image search: [Google]
1415657613301.jpg
131KB, 1829x313px
>>52925555
>>
>>52923243
Fuck off, leftist nigger
>>
>>52925555
czeck'd
>>
>>52925569
Sorry, gotta remove that tampon from my twat.
>>
File: 1445932059106.jpg (78KB, 340x314px) Image search: [Google]
1445932059106.jpg
78KB, 340x314px
>>52924102
>I'm from the Bronx
>>
File: 1415658724672.png (359KB, 712x613px) Image search: [Google]
1415658724672.png
359KB, 712x613px
>>52925582
>>
>>52924102
The Bronx Side of the Tracks?
>>
File: 1415657440832.png (22KB, 692x357px) Image search: [Google]
1415657440832.png
22KB, 692x357px
>>52925654
>>
File: 1415656580468.png (2MB, 1321x1841px) Image search: [Google]
1415656580468.png
2MB, 1321x1841px
>>52925668
>>
>>52925654
oh man, thats a kick in the nuts
>>
>>52924687
Say that to à french. You are not rebellious. You are embrassing every new trends appearing
>>
>>52925710
tell that to a marine
>>
>>52924657
The first thing you need to realize about the US (I'm not even going to go into Canadian, Central American, or Native American culture) culture is that... there isn't a single unified culture.

New England (that part of the country where New York is) has their own culture. One that promotes progressiveism and governmental reliance. The south (where Georgia and Florida are) has their own culture as well that promotes conservatism. Then you have the midwest (where Texas and Kansas are) that have cultures deeply rooted in self reliance and individual achievement. And the West Coast (California) where individual achievement is tempered with New Englands civic-mindedness. And within each major culture, there are numerous minor cultures. Black culture in the South is vastly different from in New England and both from the West Coast.

In the end each region immortalizes different caricatures. Johnny Appleseed spreading his apple orchards west so that travelers could always find food exemplifies the civic ideals of New England. Old Scratch teaching children to be good god-fearing adults is representative of the South. in the Midwest, you have Davy Crocket and Jim Bowie dying at the Alamo trying to free their country (Texas - later to become a state) from Mexico. And out Caleefornee way you have various stories of the gold rush, silver rush, etc... coming over land, and the scholars coming by boat from New England (it's the reason the North and East of California are conservative, but the coastline is liberal).
>>
File: 1415657376011.png (255KB, 1044x585px) Image search: [Google]
1415657376011.png
255KB, 1044x585px
>>52925681
>>
>>52925749
That's great
>>
>>52923112
>american culture
yea right
>>
File: 1408879195481.png (5KB, 511x89px) Image search: [Google]
1408879195481.png
5KB, 511x89px
>>52925749
Time for burgerposting.
>>
File: IMG_1863.png (382KB, 942x2404px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1863.png
382KB, 942x2404px
>>52925778
>>
File: IMG_1870.png (449KB, 1200x1089px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1870.png
449KB, 1200x1089px
>>52925791
>>
File: IMG_1866.jpg (903KB, 1000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1866.jpg
903KB, 1000x2000px
>>52925802
>>
>>52924097
>The closest thing to an internationally-recognized American myth there is is Bigfoot.
Which is really just Yeti, but American.
>>
File: IMG_1869.png (135KB, 1592x906px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1869.png
135KB, 1592x906px
>>52925816
>>
>>52925710
>france
>rebellious

If that were true you'd have had more presidents assassinated.
>>
File: IMG_1861.png (256KB, 1179x777px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1861.png
256KB, 1179x777px
>>52925834
>>
File: IMG_1864.jpg (182KB, 1571x910px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1864.jpg
182KB, 1571x910px
>>52925861
>>
>>52925839
They don't get assassinated, they just surrender. And sometimes get executed afterwards.
>>
>>52925861
>Ice ain't free. water's gotta be littered with the blood of...
>>
File: IMG_1867.jpg (986KB, 1571x910px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1867.jpg
986KB, 1571x910px
>>52925867
>>
>>52924761
>America is like watching an explosion that never ends.
More like watching a school shooting that never ends.
>>
>>52925861
Tray, and to a lesser degree freezer mounted machine ice both get tiny bits of contamination that a pure purpose-built freestanding ice machine used to stock bagged ice doesn't. It won't make you sick or anything, but it can upset the taste of a drink.
>>
>>52925869
Surrender jokes are overdone. They ignore the betrayal of the military by the liberals and communists.

It cannot be a surrender when the one declaring the withdrawal was never part of the war to begin with. By what right does he surrender?
>>
>>52925876
He has a point on metric time, and you DO get away with 60% more speeding assuming your cops use a standard 10-unit margin of error.
>>
>>52925927
Speeding is a stupid law though.
>>
>>52925920
By being in the civilian government.

And don't bitch about communists surrendering, the fucking Soviets stood firm and didn't cave in even when the fighting hit Moscow, so even your communists were more cowardly than average!
>>
>>52925955
Why should a civil government dictate anything more than civil affairs?

You also mistake the French communists for the men who fought off Napoleon.
>>
>>52925984
same reason military governments get to dictate more than military affairs.
>>
Do you know what the difference between america and yogurt is?

If you leave yogurt alone for long enough it will actually develop a culture
>>
>>52926054
The only culture yogurt develops is terrorist culture.

Patriotism can be found in Go-Gurt however.
>>
>>52923243
I will fight you nigga.
>>
>>52925186
>>52925592

Wait, what? It's probably pointless to even respond to this, but -I'm- on the left and thought what they said was fucking retarded.
>>
>>52924775
This is the best way i'd put it as well honestly. It should be a general reminder that the United States is bigger than continental Europe and has a lot of regional uniqueness i.g. Appalachia
>>
>>52923243
Factually incorrect
>>
>>52926355
It's a common leftist claim to make nowadays - that whites have no culture, and only "steal" the culture of others. More white guilt bullshit.

What people forget though is that "western culture" and "white culture" are two different things. The former is a melting pot, and people who are butthurt about "cultural appropriation" yet still benefit from the cultural melting pot are racist hypocrites.
>>
>>52923112
Have a friend that just did a custom magic set based on the wild West and American folk lore.

Was pretty swank.
>>
>>52923255
that thing about JH sounds really fuckin interesting, but do you have a source for that?
>>
>>52923112
How We Came to Live Here.
>>
>>52924464
As an immigrant to America from a central american nation:

You have culture, but it's shit
>>
>>52924775
>pride in humble lifestyles
lmao what, no

>Independence
this is the biggest and most important one, American culture is super individualist. we value uniqueness, originality, and "progress" over pure merit or efficiency.

consumerism would also be a defining factor, our culture says "buy, use for a year, throw away, buy a new one when the trends/fads/fashions change"

its hard to imagine that people used to HAND DOWN clothes from generation to generation, as they do in more traditional countries. nowadays a kid would flip ship if they had to keep a piece of technology or clothes for more than a few years, if that
>>
>>52931060
Now I'm no sociologist but I think that the assetion that "white people" have no culture is meant to imply that there's no legitimate unifying cultural identity that encompasses "being white," not that there's never been a culture that white people inhabited.

"Irish culture" or "welsh culture" are indisputably, totally legitimate things, but "white people" as a collective social categorization is such a new thing historically that it isn't strongly rooted in anything in and of itself. At least, I think that's what that's supposed to mean, but I know that people on the internet misuse it as a "lol white people" thing.

It's sort of like how there's only a "black culture" because "black people" is a social category that exists in America and everywhere else they're Africans.
>>
File: 1481025171898.jpg (30KB, 460x361px) Image search: [Google]
1481025171898.jpg
30KB, 460x361px
>American culture
The only thing you have that resembles one is your consumerism, which sadly infected a lot of other countries
>>
>>52924352
>the wild west gets better when you add elves
Stopped reading here.
>>
>>52931209
>How We Came to Live Here.
I have a copy of this. Pretty neat book.
>>
>>52931579
I heard Americans hate reading but didn't believe it was true
>>
>>52924674
All my love, all my hate, and all my THIS
>>
>>52924915
So replace his face with his face? Confusing.
>>
>>52924962
I like the phrase "Lumberjack Gothic". Hang me if you like, but the phrase puts me in mind of Gravity Falls
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.