[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 73

File: grps.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
grps.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
GURPS general

I'm trying to find a suitable advantage for Sirens or similar, where they can lure humans in with song and by looking pretty.
Some kind of hypnosis.
Any hot tips?
>>
>>52913730
Some sort of affliction. Not sure exactly what limitations you would use for it.

Any new word on Dungeon Fantasy? I'm thinking about getting it once it comes out depending on how the rules are. I want to introduce it to my Pathdinder group, but if they Don't streamline character creation then I don't know that it would be worth it
>>
How is GURPS for space operas compared to something like Traveller?
>>
>>52913730

There's always Sex Appeal (The skill) enhanced by high Appearance and the Voice advantage. It's not magic, but could still lure the unwary to their death.

>>52914013

You could do Sense Based (Hearing) on a Mind Control, or allow them to take Bardic Skills like Enchantment.

>DF box set

It's coming out in the fall. They have one (ONE) fucking editor, so they have to wait all summer to get it done.

Still looks pretty good. DF characters are easy to make, being a matter of applying templates, so I'm sure your pathfinder group can handle it.
>>
>>52914468

Pretty well. There's a strong dislike of GURPS's Spaceships (4th edition) space combat rules, but people tend to like it's very flexible options for spaceship creation.

Unlimited acess to Ultra-Tech weapons out of the Basic Set or the UT book quickly turns combat into crawling around trying not to be seen because one shot can atomize you. Holding things down to more reasonable civilian weapons most of the time avoids this.

GURPS lacks the detailed rules for life paths or financing spaceships that are iconic to Traveller, but it's a BLAST to get stranded on a stone age world with limited high tech supplies in GURPS.
>>
>>52914564
Why do people not like the space combat rules?
>>
>>52914871
The ships are too fragile for their own weapons not to bust them in a single hit.
>>
>>52914885
Ah I see. How's the vehicle combat? Tanks and all that?
>>
I'm planning my first gurps campaign set in a world that's early TL4, with muskets being available but still some armored knights and such running around. From just looking in the book muskets seem pretty deadly. In play are they pretty much one shots on light/no armored enemies? And how easily can you actually dodge gunshots?
>>
>>52914956
>And how easily can you actually dodge gunshots?

Since most will have Dodge 8 or so, fairly tough unless they Dodge and Drop. But the musket takes 30+ turns to reload.
>>
Is there a 4e adaptation of the 3e's Space Opera Combat System? It's in GURPS Lensman and in GURPS Compendium II. I'd rather not touch the 4e Spaceships combat system, wondering if that means I should just play 3e instead.
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GameBreaker/TabletopRPG
GURPS folder

Wtf?
Since when Combat Reflexes are a game-breaker?
>>
>>52914956
Muskets generally need to be set on a shooting stick (2 turns) then aimed (at least 1 turn) before being fired. In mass combat and open areas they can be very deadly, but in closed areas or anywhere with hard/tall cover a person can often find cover before a shot gets off. Ligher guns can fire faster, but typically do less runious damage.

For player characters, setting up and getting a good musket shot is a hell of a lot of fun and rewards planning.

Their damage is quite high, but decent plate armor can greatly reduce it and make being shot survivable, if not pleasant.

Gunshots are the same dodge as everything else (-0 from the front, -2 from the sides, no defense from behind) but this represents less sidestepping a shot then moving to avoid being an easy target.

Avoiding bullets gets easier with Damage to Shield rules, as it gives you another 2-3 points of Dodge that provides some solid DR when compared to primitive guns. A musket bullet will still go though a DR 8 shield, but won't do nearly as much damage after.
>>
File: 3pzl1sntk5jx.jpg (902KB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
3pzl1sntk5jx.jpg
902KB, 5184x3456px
>>52915516
I don't know. It's 'broken' if you consider it bad that it's iconic of people that get into combat often.

I feel like that's just the breaks. If you are going to be a warrior you need the basic aptitude and instincts for it. It's also a great bump in the direction of player character survival, as PCs have it but only some NPCs will. I see his point, but don't agree.
>>
>>52915516
Game-breakers by TV Tropes definition cover also all sort of easy-to-get, super-useful bonuses. Basically - when you cheese up with something cheap to gain massive boon.
So I don't see any problem with CR listed as such.
>>
>>52914871
The smallest kinetic energy missile can kill the largest space battleship, despite having far too little energy to meaningfully damage something that size.

The other rules also run into problems with the writer having no idea what he was talking about, like nuclear thermal rockets given thrust-to-weight ratios of .2 to 1, something that is wrong for the NERVA from the 1970s (with a thrust to weight ratio of 1 to 1) and really wrong for theoretical gas core reactors (thrust to weight 4 to 1 or higher).

The most laughable is likely fusion rockets given thrust-to-weight of 0.1 to 1 or lower. IRL, pessimistic projections are 40 to 1.
>>
>>52916036
That's disappointing to hear. Could work in some settings though.

Can you fix it by giving the ships loads more health/armour or something?
>>
>>52915516
>>52915810
Combat Reflexes only costs 15 points, even though it includes all the benefits of Enhanced Dodge [15], Enhanced Block [5], and Enhanced Parry (All) [10].

IIRC, it's intentionally underpriced so low-level characters don't die as much.
>>
>>52914013
>>52914496
Thanks for the input, I'm working on a rough draft (still new to GURPS so its taking some time), Affliction based with a Hallucination / Daze effect with some custom effects and heightened cost.
Changed the defense to IQ instead of HT, when failed the target just kind of walks slowly toward the attacker in a daze.
>>
1. Let's say I want to make character who can temporarily become much stronger. Limited Use from BS gives -40% discount for one minute of use per day. Maximum Duration from Powers gives -65% for one minute of use, with 5 minute cooldown. Question: am I missing something here?
2. Do I correctly understand that before rifled slugs were invented, you couldn't use solid projectiles in shotguns (paradox guns aside)?
>>
>>52915159
>>52915586

Thanks. I feel better about using them in my game.
>>
>>52915159
>But the musket takes 30+ turns to reload
Unless, you know, fast-draw it with paper cartridge
>>
>>52915516
>Combat Reflexes on the list
>Not High Pain Threshold
At least Magery and Gizmo are there

>>52917063
1. Nope
2. Yes, no solids
>>
File: Anna.jpg (51KB, 646x363px) Image search: [Google]
Anna.jpg
51KB, 646x363px
A mental exercise:
How would you make a nurse character?Alternatively, just stat her
>>
File: 1427420047724.jpg (197KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1427420047724.jpg
197KB, 1191x670px
>>52916526
A basic fix is to just have every weapon use the Energy Weapons table by size. The energy weapons table is a lot closer to sane damage for the DR of targets, so you end up with more reasonable combat.

Note that the damage in the book isn't realistic. The energy release from a light gun on a 30 ton fighter can't hurt a three million ton steel object in any meaningful way IRL..

We know this because we get the projectile velocity, but not mass. But we do know the loaded weight of the fighter is 30 tons.

So screw the bullets, you can find the energy of the bullets, the gun, the pilot, engines and kitchen sink hitting at the velocity the bullets are supposed to be at, and it's still way lower then you'd need to crack a million ton steel sphere.
>>
>>52917063

There's nothing stopping you from shooting a smooth-bore slug from a shotgun before rifled slugs were a thing, though many shotguns had a choke built in that would be fucked up by a slug. You'd also have limited accuracy.

People made slugs like this, but not very often. A 12 gauge sphere of lead at 1.3 ounces could and was loaded into shotguns, but it's performance was meh and the accuracy sucked.
>>
File: Coss.pdf (62KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Coss.pdf
62KB, 1x1px
>>52918679
Here is a nurse I played in a (sadly!) short game.

The big takeaway I had with her is that IQ 12 and DX 12 is really nice for a character you want to be able to perform a lot of different task. Talent (Healer) is nice, but I'd stick to one rank of it.

This is sort of a Nurse Practitioner badass, however. Many nurses have limited training in a smaller area of specialty, and aid in those areas. This is a place you can save points and focus only on basic First Aid, one or two points of Diagnosis and other points to invest in things like Kill Zombie.
>>
>>52919160
Should nurse have Surgery? I mean Physician is already problematic for such character
>>
File: Cossiette.jpg (106KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Cossiette.jpg
106KB, 600x900px
>>52919245
I feel like 1-4 points makes sense for a Nurse Practitioner, especially at TL5-6 where acting as an assistant to a doctor could easily see a trauma nurse performing minor surgery.

Note though that Coss there is quite gifted. Her stats would, were she male and had a point around to buy Status 1, be suited to a young doctor.

A modern triage nurse or surgical nurse might have surgery at 1 to 8 points invested. Especially if they have an interest and seek out training for it.
>>
>>52919629
But I need it for TL8 nurse, doing shifts outside operating block. So the closest I've got is Diagnostics, First Aid, Sewing and obligatory level or two of High Manual Dexterity.
>>
>>52919682
Sounds good. You could also grab Administrator or something, but that is enough to be able to say "I'm a nurse" and have that as your Status 0 job.
>>
>>52914956
I've done a bit with muskets before; on a hit, they can be super deadly, but Acc 2 means that range penalties are a bitch, and long reload times mean you only get one shot. In other words, just like IRL, it's most effective with a lot of buddies or in close range ambushes and a gamble otherwise.

Dodge vs. firearms are the same as dodges vs. any other attack*; you roll 3d6 and try and get under your Dodge score. Like >>52915159 mentions, this leaves mostly-average people up a creek, but exceptional individuals (i.e. PCs) may be agile enough to reliably avoid lead.

*GURPS is nothing if not a repository of optional rules; there are a handful of rules that change how firearms and dodges interact, but the basic version works well enough for most games as it is mostly realistic (based on statistical data), easy enough to game out (no special changes for dodges vs firearms), and it slightly favors character survival.
>>
>>52916526
There's a Pyramid article, "So You Want to Build a Spaceship," that covers what rules tweaks you need and what tech to disallow to hit certain tones in terms of space combat; IIRC, it covers LoGH-style space opera with broadside exchanges of blue lines, not!submarine stealth warfare, fighters-and-motherships style fights, and ultra-gritty re-purposed civilian ships.
>>
>>52913730
Affliction with Lecherous and Xenophilia. I don't recall exactly how bard song is represented in PU4, but it should fit for the most part.
Otherwise it's just your normal seduction package.
>>
>>52917063
Limited Use is fucked up but SJG will never admit that and change the cost.
One suggestion I saw quite often is to treat it as "per scene", similar to how periodic recharge works. True "per day" would cost twice as much.
>>
File: Alonzo Boom.gif (782KB, 500x217px) Image search: [Google]
Alonzo Boom.gif
782KB, 500x217px
>>52920655

Oh shit. There's a problem with Limited Use now? Do tell.
>>
>>52921187
Did you try to read conversation, nigga?
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
>>52917063
You're right in your calculations, but it's not really an issue like >>52920655 pointed out. It's like that super cheap universe killing ability. Sure, you're allowed to build such an ability within the rules of the system, but the GM is the final arbiter when it comes to what's acceptable.

Limited Use with Slow Reload represents a slow recharging ability just fine.
>>
File: 51853257_p0.png (829KB, 720x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51853257_p0.png
829KB, 720x1000px
How would you simulate Alice Margatroid using GURPS? Is it even possible?
>>
>>52922423
From a very brief reading of the touhou wiki, she controls dolls, so this is Telekinesis with Animation, limited to dolls (probably), compartmentalized mind a bunch for multiple dolls (probably), and, if she powers them up, buffing afflictions.
>>
Hey gurpsgen, my players is divided by things they want from new campaign.
One part want vanilla katana & trench coat cyberpunk (or plain 3e cyberworld), other part want Mad Max style post apocalyptic game with some settlement management.
And one dude with me OK for anything, just add Gang Wars.
There are good ways to mix cyberpunk clean white collars with post apocalyptic wasteland freaks?
>>
>>52923548
Outside the sprawl is a Somalia-tier wasteland. Inside the sprawl it's katana and trenchcoat cyberpunk.
>>
File: 1452443415834.jpg (84KB, 459x599px) Image search: [Google]
1452443415834.jpg
84KB, 459x599px
>>52923548
Cyberpunk characters in a Ghost in the Shell/Appleseed anime setting, where everything outside the major cities is a chaotic Mad Max / Somali pirate wasteland
>>
>>52923572
>>52923601
These, plus the party's employer has a vested interest in setting up company towns to reclaim they wasteland (maybe it's some madman's attempt to corner an untapped market, or maybe it's legitimately philanthropic, or maybe it's just a slightly sinister mystery) to allow for more settlement-building.
>>
>>52923756
>maybe it's some madman's attempt to corner an untapped market, or maybe it's legitimately philanthropic, or maybe it's just a slightly sinister mystery
Why not all three?
>>
>>52923572
>>52923601

Major cities connected by heavily guarded maglev trains that bring in the things they need, while everything else is ruined and barbaric.

Occasional sweeps by high tech military forces to keep people in the sprawling wasteland from developing anything that might threaten the cities. Explosives and heavy weapons might be tempting for wastelanders, but can bring down the wrath of god.. in the form of a drone fired missile.
>>
File: o-DEAD-IN-THE-WEST-facebook.jpg (300KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-DEAD-IN-THE-WEST-facebook.jpg
300KB, 2000x1000px
>>52913730
I'm running a Western Horror campaign for my group. I've found horror to be interesting because you as the GM are trying to scare the players, and the players have to want to be scared. If you have players who want to don't invite this into the game, and just want to crack wise jokes the entire time, the game falls flat quickly.

One thing I did to set the tone for this campaign was make a video movie style trailer for my players to help set the mood and get them excited. I simply pieced together a bunch of clips from horror and westerns. Yes I know the voice acting is bad. I'm not asking for criticism. I'm just sharing an idea that came into fruition to get people/players excited about a game.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndfamjxsP0A

I'm curious to know if there are any GMs here that do stuff like this to pitch, or excite their players? Or perhaps get new players interested?

It doesn't have to be a video of course, it can be a short comic, small drawing, or concept art.
>>
>>52926403

I've done things like this before. As a player I've done things like police files on my characters, short stories and journals.

I tend to like this sort of thing. Even when it's amateurish it helps people relax and feel uninhibited, something that can really help with role playing. There's nothing worse then people being shy or nervous that they will be silly.
>>
Two things. Does anyone have any good profiles for "low powered" vampires? I am planning to run a modern day game where the players are a special ops who run into a vampire nest who they think are arms smugglers, so it needs to be able to be killed with difficulty by tl8 military hardware. Also, how many missions against normal humans should I run them up against so as to lure them into a sense of false knowledge about what they are doing. I was planning three, but Im thinking that might not be enough.
>>
>>52927263
>"low powered" vampires
>be killed with difficulty by tl8 military hardware
So u need low powered or hard to kill?
Anyway no vitals, no brain and no wound modifier for bullets.
>>
>>52927507
What I mean by Low-powered is not using the more weird powers of vampires, like shapeshifting into bats. So Low-powered for a classic vampire, but still tough enough to scare a bunch of professional soldiers. I have a rough outline that has Regen based on if they have drank blood, and I've also got some pretty high stats on them as well as the vitals stuff.
>>
File: tumblr_o1oycyBHi51sj8sv9o1_540.png (391KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1oycyBHi51sj8sv9o1_540.png
391KB, 540x810px
>>52927263
Go for standard story building. Mission 1 should establish what is normal for them. Mission 2 should hint at what is to come and subvert normal just a little. Maybe vampire's human servants, or a body that is out of blood.

For modern vampires..

I'd say Injury Tolerance (Unliveing), ST 15, HP 20, Fragile (Unnatural). This makes them hard to kill with modern firearms and very tough in close combat, but not impossible to overcome. Weapons like shotguns loaded with slugs, buckshot at point blank range and antimateral rifles can do a lot of damage to them. When they do go down, they go down hard. Unnatural means they crumble to dust at 0 HP.

Weakness (Sunlight), Night Vision 5, Fangs, Vampirc Bite and Unnatural Hunger (Blood) to round things out.
>>
>>52924690
I'm not sure how much sweeps would be needed. We're already seeing it now - rural areas (especially ones that have lost their economic axis) can't maintain their 20th century infrastructure. We're seeing states reduce the number of paved roads.

The notion that you've got cities, megafarms, factories & mines. Anyone else... the areas can't sustain a population that would be of notice to the corps.
>>
>>52927705
The wastelanders couldn't hope to take over a city, but they could make themselves very annoying with IEDs and anti-aircraft missiles if they had military hardware.

Sweeps would not be vital, but would be economical at reducing the security needed for corporate assets.
>>
File: 1457468392410.jpg (12KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
1457468392410.jpg
12KB, 325x325px
>>52919629
>Erotic Art
>>
>>52923548
Have you looked at Autoduel? Because I think you should look at Autoduel.
>>
File: 1472927942932.png (36KB, 516x488px) Image search: [Google]
1472927942932.png
36KB, 516x488px
>>52928088
>>
>>52928817
>liquid projector

What is that even for?
>>
>>52928834

Pepper spray bottles and things of that nature.
>>
>>52928834
Flame throwers
>>
>>52928995
Still don't get why it doesn't fall under Guns (Rifle)
>>
>>52932447
Why not Melee Weapon (Broadsword)?
>>
>>52932447
Why not (Guns) Flamethrower
>>
>>52932752

There is no more Guns (Flamethrower).
>>
File: 61393d99.png (99KB, 804x490px) Image search: [Google]
61393d99.png
99KB, 804x490px
>>52932447
>>52932752
>Flamethrower
>Rifle
>Gun
>>
File: 59345.jpg (23KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
59345.jpg
23KB, 500x363px
>>52933200
I dunno, looks like rifle to me.
>>
>>52933200
>big two-handed thingy you pull a trigger on to make shit shoot out the front.
>>
>>52933260
Shooting a continuous spray and aiming and shooting a single projectile sound like different disciplines to me, mate.
>>
>>52913730
So I'm working on a game for GURPS in which players each make a fantasy race then control a group of them to build a civilization from the ground up. I'm currently working on formulas to relatively easily calculate the amount of Man-Days it takes to construct buildings based of Low Tech Companions 3. Do you think stronger things should count towards more man days of work, somethings like 1 man day of work for every 10 ST. This makes sense as stronger beings would be able to lift and stack bigger amount of materials in construction. For instance one of the races that has been made are giants with a base ST of 25 so they would count towards around 2 man days of work or 2 and a half if you get really specific.
>>
File: 0y4m2xC.jpg (719KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0y4m2xC.jpg
719KB, 1600x1200px
>>52934462

That's a fun and clever idea, though it runs into a problem that ST isn't liner. ST 10 has a Basic Lift of 20 pounds, while ST 25 has a Basic Lift of 125 pounds.

You could use Lifting ST as a base for the amount of work can be done for simple construction, much like is done for task like digging.

So an ST 25 brute can dig foundations, stack rocks, haul trees, drive piles and mix concrete 6.25 times faster then an ST 10 person.
>>
>>52933260
>Shooting a continous stream of burning liquid
>Shooting a spray of bullets or even a single one
>This is somehow similar
>>
File: 1391453788295.jpg (55KB, 366x493px) Image search: [Google]
1391453788295.jpg
55KB, 366x493px
GURPS, 100 point modern world game, I want to give my players a spell that would let them take some damage for a temporary DR+STR buff, how should I balance this? It doesn't have to be damage but the theme of the spell is "sacrifice".
>>
>>52933260
By this definitions, canons, mortars and improvised hand catapults are all rifles
>>
>>52934910
Of course it is, how is it any greater than the difference between riding a bike and a war elephant? If you can do one, the other is natural and GURPS just adds needless complexity to the situation.
>>
>>52934980
You know, the scary part about your bait is that there are people who think like this.
>>
>>52935061
As the poster that started this issue, I saw that the thread was on page 11 and about to be killed, so I made a random comment without taking half a second to think about it; my apologies.
>>
>>52934924
I would go with temporary bonuses followed by an hour or so delayed lost HP. So if you use it and get hurt in the fight you have the reaping hanging over your head and need to find some healing or a safe place before you get dropped to negative HP
>>
>>52935692
Didn't work after the initial reaction died.

Also, bump
>>
File: alice_thinking.gif (450KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
alice_thinking.gif
450KB, 500x301px
I've ran a campaign in a TL4 setting where I had arquebus and wheellock pistols available. In theory, they would allow an average NPC to be pretty deadly, even to PCs. In practice, I found that they did far too little damage given how they were meant to be shot once before you went into melee. You could forget using them as a consistent ranged weapon, due to their massive reload times.

The only advantages I found with guns were

> Easy skill compared to a bow or crossbow's Average skill,

> Not strength-based.

> Does more damage in the hands of an unskilled user.

And these are good when making realistic NPC enemies. The party is rarely going to find fighters as skilled as they are in their travels, after all.

BUT, the problem still remained that guns were simply not a useful option to players over using more traditional ranged weapons.

So, in my next campaign in this setting, I've decided I'm going to up the ante from arquebus and wheellocks, to muskets and calivers. I'm also going to introduce expensive but powerful breechloader options with reloads times of 15 seconds for the musket, and 10 or so for the pistol.

I'm hoping the increased lethality will make guns much more viable. Will it? Is it even a good idea to try and make them more lethal? It will mean that the players will move away from more medieval-style melee combat and have to maneuver around a more deadly battlefield. Is this a good change?
>>
File: 1480732660789.jpg (33KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1480732660789.jpg
33KB, 736x552px
>>52936937
Crazy idea
As an armor divisor of (2)

It seems odd but I find anyone with an AP option throws it at every single opportunity they get. Without fail
>>
File: 16595853370975899894.jpg (374KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
16595853370975899894.jpg
374KB, 2000x1333px
>>52935834

I can think of an exploit/something awesome, depending on what kind of game he wants to run.

Use the Sacrifice spell, get DX or Striking ST or some other powerful blessing. Lose 5 HP in an hour..

Then use it again like 10 times so you become a superhuman for an hour and go on a rampage to beat the shit out of every enemy you couldn't overcome before then die a hero.

>>52936937

Crossbows are also DX/E, but your point is solid. You typically won't see early, primitive guns outside battlefields when a bow or crossbow is a valid alternative.

>Do I need to make them more lethal?

Nope. Not if you don't fight people in very heavy armor or much tougher then a normal human. A musket's 4d+2 is more then enough firepower. If you want to encourage players to use and fear them it's better to increase the fire rate then to add even more damage on top. Things like double-barreled Jager rifles (Low Tech page 94) are a great option for players.

An 18th century style battlefield dominated by muskets and rifles isn't a bad thing. Most people will skip armor and swords will remain useful for cavalry and men that fight in close quarters, like ships and cities, while the pike is replaced by musket and bayonet. You lose some of the fun, brutal combat of early TL 4 where heavily armored knights battle with big fucking swords and hammers and can resist gunfire at anything but point blank range, but gain a fun sort of age of exploration style.
>>
>>52937474

What could I do to justify such a change, though? Archery has barbed arrows, but it's not like you can have a barbed bullet.
>>
>>52937817
It's a gamists solution, not a simulationists solution.

The reasoning is purely Fiat and deus ex machina.
>>
>>52937817

Non-historical steel pointed tip bullets?
>>
>>52937527

Almost missed this, thought it was just directed at the other player.

Didn't know Crossbows were Easy, so thanks.

And I wasn't suggesting making Muskets more lethal, I was suggesting introducing them in the first place. I had only been using the arquebus and pistol, not the musket and caliver, which do far more damage, and thus are a problem even for armored characters.

But as you said, I think a lot of the fun of that campaign came from the mixed and brutal combat. Random bandits with pistols would fire off before going up and dueling the players at swordpoint, posing a challenge for the ranged weapon user, while guards with spears, pikes, and halberds could provide a challenge for strictly melee-based characters with their range. It was a mess of medieval and gun combat that really worked well.

I was more just worried about the general usefulness of guns in the campaign, both for NPCs and players. If you're saying they're fine as they are right now, with just arquebuses and pistols, then I suppose that solves things neatly. But what would you say about that option for faster-loading arquebuses? Do you think that would change things significantly?
>>
>>52936937
No, no, no, you don't understand. TL4 firearms are bad option for designated ranged fighter, I agree, but you should not use it as such. Instead, you should give them to every party member EXCEPT designated ranged fighter. So as soon the combat starts, party greets the enemy with gun salvo and then goes into melee. Same goes for crossbows - both are good backup ranged skill (though keep in mind that firearms are better than crossbows in every way). Consider the historical use of firearms - sure, bows could fire faster, but it was just easier to train soldiers to use guns. Training, however, is not a problem for an adventurer.

Then there is another option - pistols pack quite a punch, and you can carry several of them. So you fast-draw a pistol, shoot it, drop it, fast-draw another, and so on until you run out of pistols, and then you proceed to melee. This tactic was used in real life (except maybe for "drop it" part).

Then there is a fun thing about loading guns with shot.
>>
>>52936937
Dude, even crossbows are essentially single shot weapons because no one would spend 4 turns reloading in close quarters.
You want to make guns more viable for solo fighters - give them blackpowder revolvers. Because even with light pistols only absolute madman would carry more than four at once.
>>
>>52939222
These were all tactics used to deal with early firearms' downsides throughout history, it's only natural that you'd use them. The multiple pistols trick is a bit crazy but it did happen and it was pretty popular for pirates (at least, those that could afford to buy more than one of them).
>>
>>52938535
>Faster loading guns.

I think it's fine. The breach-loading carbine could be expanded to other weapons, offering people a weapon that can, with paper catrages, be reloaded in 5 seconds, or 3 seconds with a Fast Draw (Ammo) roll. Doing this with double barrel weapons would just about allow an adventurer to keep up a steady rate of fire that would be slower then what a bowman can manage but not unreasonable in a game without heroic archer as an option.

Otherwise, you can get most guns down to 12 seconds with a flintlock, paper cartages and fast draw. This is more then most people will want to spend reloading unless they can do so in a safe place, like a fortified building that people are trying to enter.
>>
File: 16th_century_soldier.jpg (1MB, 1425x1992px) Image search: [Google]
16th_century_soldier.jpg
1MB, 1425x1992px
>>52939222

These are the sorts of things my players did to combat the problem of it, yes.

I should have mentioned, one of the party members got their archery skill up to 18, so they regularly outclassed gun users by being able to shoot quickly AND do high damage by always aiming for the vitals. This made the problems with guns in my campaign prominent.

Not saying it was a problem the player did so well, just mean that the character's badassery couldn't have been replicated with firearms. High skill adventurers are going to do better with bows 'n such if arquebuses and pistols are your only options for firearms.

>>52939661

I thought revolvers might be a bit much for an early TL4 setting, but hey, this is fiction.

>>52939920

Again, one of my players did try and do this. Got bad luck and never ended up hitting anything, but it was cool nonetheless.

>>52940726

Aye, I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Would any of you chaps be willing to do a test run avec moi? Over roll20?
>>
>>52940876
Sure, I could help with a playtest. The archer vs gunner thing can be tweaked by putting heavier armor on people. DR 3-5 plate or chain on the torso and vitals takes a lot of the shine off of arrows.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (155KB, 700x529px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
155KB, 700x529px
Dungeon Fantasy update: It's off to the printers, having cleared editing and review. For those that diden't know there's also a bunch of GURPS books back in print in POD paperback form.

For some reason they don't have Martial Arts, but it's a chance to get Spaceships, Thamatolgy or High Tech in dead tree form without fucking around at Lula.
>>
Still haven't managed to get in on a game, but it's always nice to drop by and see the threads. You guys are creative. Keeps my hopes for a game alive.
>>
Someone stat Medusa's turn to stone ability.
>>
>>52943543

Affliction X (Cone, 15-yard width, +200%; Extended Duration, Permanent until cured with Stone to Flesh or Remove Curse, +150%; Increased 1/2D x10, +15%; Paralysis, +150%; Unconscious Only, -20%; Uncontrollable, -30%; Vision-Based, +150%) [72/level]

The first level causes anyone within 100 yards who can see your face to make a HT roll or turn to stone. (Turned to stone is considered the equivalent of Permanent Paralysis -- it's a special effect.) Every additional level reduces that HT roll by 1. Since hardly anyone could resist the medusa's gaze, she probably had at least six levels (for HT-5 to resist), costing 432 points.

>Jason Levine on SJG fourm
>>
>>52936937
>I'm also going to introduce expensive but powerful breechloader options with reloads times of 15 seconds for the musket, and 10 or so for the pistol.
Fast-Draw and paper cartridges allows to go to 18 seconds and 7-9 (depending on pistol type), respectively. So barely any difference for long arms and actually harming your players over pistols, which are great precisely because how fast they are
>>
>>52943608
What does Uncontrollable do in this situation? I thought that only abilities trigger when a Will roll is failed?
>>
>>52943864
She can't help using it all the time.
>>
>>52943970
Except this is not how Uncontrollable works. You make Will roll and, if you succeed, nothing happens. Meanwhile Medusa doesn't seem to stop her ability at all, which is Always On.
>>
>>52944067
As the Medusa is an NPC you may safely assume she chooses not to make the Will roll and treat the power as totally passive on her part.
>>
>>52944211
Well, you can do whatever you want in your game, but that's not how it originally was. The "ability" was "she is so horribly ugly you will be stoned by merely looking at her", not "she can turn people into stone at will".
>>
>>52944326
She can't do it at will, friend. It's an involuntary reflex. That's what Unconscious Only means.
>>
>>52928834
Squirt guns, possibly filled with acid.
>>
/5eg/ here, we WILL find you and we WILL kick you out of our stablishment and tables, you've warned GURPSturds. Stop trying to play your dogshit """system""" near our superior system.
>>
> >52945326
Are you dndfag trying to imitate gurpsfag pretending to be dndfag to start shitstorm or something? Because you kinda suck at this.
>>
>>52945352
That's the saddest trolling attempt I've ever seen. He'd have done better rating TL 3 melee weapons into tiers.
>>
>>52934924

+ X STR, DR X with Maximum Duration and cost HP from Powers.

Do you want a Basic Set magic spell, an RPM spell or a Sorcery spell?
>>
>>52945326
I've seen many low quality baits, but this is new "gold" standard for shit-tier bait.

Also, bump

Also, is there anywhere stat chart or tables or anything with stats for TL2 ships? I need Roman and Greek Iron Age ships and more than just basic trieme, especially the merchant vessels
>>
File: The Verse.jpg (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Verse.jpg
132KB, 1920x1080px
Firefly : The Verse tonight!

The party is in pickle; their 'captain' Faust Rasquel is down for the count after some sort of drug overdose and fight with a timberwolf(?!) so the party has made for the nearest place with a doctor, the White Lotus research station in orbit over Greenleaf.

En route, their cat and muscleman both fell I'll to some sort of hallucinagenics as well. The cat freaked out and hid, the big sary man followed suit, and after some howling an snarling, he got locked in the dock and put to sleep for a bit. The pilot put on the speed and they made haste.

At the station, things got weirder. They hailed the station, and the previous comms officer was astounded their ship was back (having last seen it disappear on planet in the hidden base/cave). Wendy got them through to the airlocks tho, and they were met by a doc in full HAZMAT suit who saw to the crew. The party let him work, but drop in on his comms chatter. He is, of course, up to something with a dark shadow voiced boss, talking about "the experiment" and "phase two"

And then the drugged out crewman, Hale, busted loose from the airlocks and assaulted the doc.

Who turns out, is a clone of the captain!

And then when he starts confusedly spilling the beans, he gets put down with electric shocks from his suit! The shadow voiced boss loudly exclaiming "I WILL TOLERATE NO FURTHER FAILURES!"

Guns cocked, the party plans to get to the bottom of this...
>>
does anyone have the gurps murder simulator?
the link in the pdf is down
>>
>>52944423
But Uncontrollable with unconscious only means that if you win the will roll, your ability doesn't go haywire: you just can't use it.

How would I treat this from the perspective of the player?
>>
>>52948051
Nothing specific, but Low-Tech pg 139 and Low-Tech Companion 3 pg 40 might get you started.
>>
File: 675px-Bayrische_Pickelhaube.jpg (70KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
675px-Bayrische_Pickelhaube.jpg
70KB, 675x900px
Stat me
>>
>>52949889
Light Plate Pot Helm (DR 3, $200, 1.6lb) with padding (+1 DR, +$10, +1.2lb) and an inlay of metal (closest approximation) for +8 CF with an extensive design for +4 CF, and finally enameled in black for +2 CF. (Total CF is 15) The spike on the top acts as a flange or a spike on a mace, so it does 1d6-2 cr with a -2 for improvised weapon.

Final stats:

Bayrische Pickelhaube: DR 4, $3150, 2.8lb
>>
File: 1376747839530.jpg (916KB, 1922x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1376747839530.jpg
916KB, 1922x1199px
>>52948766
Into the dark house of madness and clones! How many times will we have to kill the 'captain'?

More importantly, what will we be able to steal?
>>
File: LIyG5.jpg (71KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
LIyG5.jpg
71KB, 525x700px
In a TL 3 game based on / inspired by Europe is an Armored Surcoat worth it over chain-mail? I'm tempted but I don't know if DR is worth the -1 DX and 15 pounds.

Related but is it worth it weight and cost wise to go to light mail over limbs? You lose 2 DR but it's only 2/3rds the weight and less then half the cost.

>Armored Surcoat (TL2) A sturdy surcoat reinforced with rows of fairly long, rectangular, overlapping plates, set vertically and riveted to the inside of the fabric. It first appeared in Europe in the second half of the 12th century, and was layered over mail (p. 107) for extra protection. By the 13th century, it had evolved into the coat of plates (see Segmented Plate, pp. 107-108). Example: Treat an armored surcoat as reinforced textile armor. Light layered cloth has DR 2*, and is $150, 12 lbs. Reinforcing increases DR vs. cutting to 3, but adds 25% to both cost and weight. Final cost is $187.50; final weight is 15 lbs.
>>
>>52953380
the reinforcement seems unneeded. DR7 Vs cut is more than enough. I would buy one because it is cheap and use it when I need max armor
>>
Anyone got pdfs of GURPS books to share?
>>
File: 1478223413649.jpg (346KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1478223413649.jpg
346KB, 1200x1650px
>>52955228
Sure. Start in the PDF in the OP, it's the Gateway to Adventure. Beyond that we sometimes get a kind soul dropping a new Pyramid on us.

If you like it and can afford it, get some of the books in dead tree too. GURPS is worth the support.

>>52954972

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking of maybe Fine Chain + Armored Surcoat, so DR 6*, DR 4* vs Crush, DR 7* vs CUT
>>
>>52955793
I'm just trying to figure out why that knight needs so many MP40 magazine pouches.
>>
File: x4jx7.jpg (29KB, 400x274px) Image search: [Google]
x4jx7.jpg
29KB, 400x274px
>>
File: ancientburrialmound.png (352KB, 4167x3226px) Image search: [Google]
ancientburrialmound.png
352KB, 4167x3226px
>>52957119
>>
>>52914564

Or just play GURPS Traveller, which just went OOP a few months ago but is still downloadable or buyable in hard copy from some vendors.

The problem is that weapon scaling could have gone several ways. In that instance you'd think they'd have balanced them against armor/shield scaling but you'd be wrong.
>>
File: gurps.jpg (329KB, 1613x931px) Image search: [Google]
gurps.jpg
329KB, 1613x931px
>>52955793
Which one of these is the core rulebook?
>>
>>52958374
Basic Set
>Basic Set - 1 Characters
>Basic Set - 2 Campaigns
>>
>>52958458
Thanks, that includes like all the core rules and everything?
>>
>>52958458
It's one thing split across two books. Campaigns starts at page 300 or something
>>
>>52958374
If your just starting possibly consider starting with GURPS lite and then expanding onto the basic set, definately use the character book for chargen and pick and choose extra rules you want to use from campaigns.
>>
>>52958625
Is GURPS Lite included there?

Also can any of the 3e stuff easily convert to 4e?
>>
>>52958709
GURPS Lite is its own 32-page booklet; if, for some reason, it's not in the MEGA, it can be obtained legitimately for free from Warehouse 23.

As for 3e to 4e, 90% of what made 3e's splats awesome was the background info, not necessarily the crunch. For those crunch bits, though, most everything is covered in the (also legitimately free) 3e>4e conversion PDF and what isn't has likely already been rewritten and released for 4e.
>>
How would one stat out the Saiga-12 auto shotgun and the AA-12 shotgun? They're both automatic shotguns, but the Saiga has more recoil, and the AA seems to have virtually none.
>>
>>52960488
Saiga I'd give ROF 3, recoil 5

AA 12 gets ROF 5, and I'd give it recoil 3. Seven kilos of shotgun, a recoil buffer and other design choices minimize recoil.

Note that with buckshot they'd both be recoil 1.
>>
>>52960607
>>52960607
Looking into Hi Tech, would I just be able to just swap the name of the Daewoo for AA-12 or Saiga?

I'm the ST for our little venture, and I'm working on getting a good grip on the system.
>>
>>52960703
Also what is that cost on the Daewoo supposed to represent "$1,300/$32"
>>
>>52960703
Daewoo USAS-12,
Damage 12G 2.75” 1d+1 pi
Acc 3
Range 40/800
Weight 14.2/2.1
ROF 6x9
Capacity10+1(3)
ST11†
Bulk-5
Recoil 1/3
Cost$1,300/$32

You could use those with a name swap, though the Saiga's ROF is too high for the semi-auto of most models and the Saiga shouldn't quite get that recoil. It's got half the mass that that has a huge effect on felt recoil.
>>
>>52960777
Gun/Empty Detachable Magazine for Gun
>>
>>52960806
I don't really know guns. The only recoil thing I know regarding the Saiga is from watching an FPSRussia video on the Saiga and the AA, and he calls out the Saiga as having more recoil, and shows off that affect. However, thanks for the input! I'm probably just going to let him nameswap and call it a day. Not going for too terribly realistic, they're russians in a fantasy setting all of a sudden.

>>52960822
Thanks
>>
>>52958474
Yes. Everything you need to both create a character and run a campaign in any setting. The rest of the supplements just help (a lot) with rules related to a certain tone, theme, setting, etc.

In short, Basic Set is great and you should familiarize yourself with it before moving onto other supplements.
>>
File: 1276003788076.jpg (130KB, 684x825px) Image search: [Google]
1276003788076.jpg
130KB, 684x825px
THEY BLEW IT ALL UP

THOSE BASTARDS

THE CLOOOOOONES
>>
>>52960870
>they're russians in a fantasy setting all of a sudden.
I hope they're civilians, because Russian military does not uses shotguns. Hell, even police doesn't, except with some rare use of KS-23.
>>
>>52961889
IIRC, saiga is super popular among Russians because it's much easier to get then a rifle.

>>52960870

If they aren't /k/ it's unlikely to bother them, but the USAS-12 is twice the weight of the Saiga.

>>52961344
>This week on Firefly..
>I don't know if I can even sum that up
>Seriously
>Goddamn, things have gotten weird.
>>
File: 1447506977.jpg (11KB, 426x150px) Image search: [Google]
1447506977.jpg
11KB, 426x150px
>>52962094
>IIRC, saiga is super popular among Russians because it's much easier to get then a rifle.
Hence the "Civilian" part. In fact, that was how it was originally made in 90s - they took an obscure AK-based hunting rifle that was designed in 70s for population control of saiga deer, turned it into a smoothbore shotgun and marketed it as civilian AK - in fact, original version was chambered for an exotic.410 round precisely to make it even more similar to an assault rifle. Saiga was issued to some Russian special forces, but it was almost never used.

On a slightly related note, there is a new hilarious shotgun round in Russia - .336 TKM, that is supposed to be used with SKS converted with paradox barrel, producing a "rifle" that can be obtained without a rifle license. There is also a Saiga chambered for it.
>>
File: n.jpg (91KB, 359x645px) Image search: [Google]
n.jpg
91KB, 359x645px
What the fuck? How do you autists even play this game? I heard that GURPS being math heavy is just a meme, and decided to check it out, but it's actually true.
>be GURPSfag
>bring a scientific calculator to the game
>want to make an archer
>sorry, you don't have a PhD in maths, no archers for you
>want to make a demolitionist
>NOPE, MATHS
>o-okay, I'll make a vehicle operator
>LOGARITHMS FUCKER

Jesus fucking Christ, this is like pottery. I cannot comprehend why people sit around a table and calculate shit instead of playing an actual game.
>>
>>52962289
>paradox barrel
>Okay with a smoothbore license

It's nice to know gun laws are weird the world around.

It sort of blows my mind that they make this weird shotgun round to fit into a shotgun-converted rifle to give it performance vaguely resembling what it had before you converted it at all.

That's capitalism for you though. Lawyers analyze a restriction, engineers design a workaround that might be totally asinine but functional then lobbyist go and drink with judges so they will say it's okay to ignore the intent of the law as long as you follow the letter of it.
>>
>>52962452
What's with the recent influx of cheap bait?
>>
>>52962519
Dunno, but don't feed (You)'s to the trolls.
>>
>>52962452

It's a pyramid with optional rules.

There's really complicated math for making bows. It's acutely pretty cool and not too hard to follow. If you don't want to do that though it's easy to just pick a bow out of the book and use it, no math involved.

>vehicle operator

No complicated math. The old 3rd edition book for making vehicles had complicated math, but it's out of date and was to make new vehicles, not for using them in game.

>Demolition

It's multiplication and division. If you are really having a problem with it just write a simple program to automate it.
>>
>>52962519
>>52962526
Either of you (or anyone else) pick up Mars Attacks? I did, and it's a pretty solid book. Seems like a good base for an off-brand X-COM game, or actually running a Mars Attacks game. It's light on crunch, but has some monsters/templates/equipment to steal. The setting material itself is giving me plenty of hooks and ideas for games, though.
>>
>>52962563
I didn't, but I am running an XCOM game, maybe I should give it a look.
>>
File: 2m.jpg (101KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
2m.jpg
101KB, 400x300px
>>52962498
Yep, the gun is considered smoothbore as long as the rifling is no longer than 140mm. I wonder why this wasn't abused in original .410 Saiga.

On the subject of loophole abuse - TOZ-106, aka "Chairman's Death", made to produced shortest weapon that is allowed by Russian laws. Note that it can't be shot with a folded stock. It is hilarious to me how Russian and US laws are opposite at this regard - US laws are really anal about putting stock on short guns, while Russian laws don't allow short guns without a stock.
>>
>>52962577
I think it'll depend on what sort of X-COM game you want. The sort of game I want to run for X-COM is closer to X-COM 2, where you're the resistance fighting against alien occupation after the war's been lost, and the book's great for that. If you want people playing commanders/chief officers of an organization researching techs and such, you can do that using the Novas Vira (secret society with gadgeteers) for it, and change the background to get them more country support. And if you just want boots on the ground, there's stuff for that too.

It definitely has a campy feel to it, though (read: 200' robots jumping up and smacking airplanes out of the sky), but that's Mars Attacks for you.
>>
>>52962650
I'm running one more focused on espionage and rooting out EXALT cells.

So I'm mostly getting by with High Tech, bar the occasional alien encounter.
>>
>>52962657
Eh, probably won't be all that useful to you then. I can't really think of anything that translates to EXALT cells. Espionage is more of a Martian thing, since they're technologically superior and can infiltrate human society. Still worth a look, either way.
>>
>>52962637
>Remember kids, if it touches your shoulder it's a felony!
>>
File: Thinman.jpg (32KB, 610x669px) Image search: [Google]
Thinman.jpg
32KB, 610x669px
>>52962703
That is correct, FELLOW HUMAN. There is no possibility of ALIEN INFILTRATION of human cities.
>>
>>52962714
>Umbrella Corporation
What even is this?
>>
Is there something like a PTSD or Schizophrenia disadvantage? I'm thinking about a character rolling perception and being convinced they're being followed, or thinking that that man pulling out a cellphone from his coat is pulling out a gun, or maybe looking a tall fellow in a suit and being convinced it's a Thinman (>>52962739) when it's clear to anybody with a working brain that it's just a guy.

Basically, something that fucks with perception checks in a bad way. Maybe if you roll too good on your perception check, the GM secretly rolls Will or something and decides to tell you false information.
>>
>>52962907
PTSD can be Flashbacks. Schizophrenia depends on what kind. Delusions, Phantom Voices, and Paranoia are useful. Paranoia is probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>52962907
Sure. PTSD can manifest as Phobias (Pg 150) or Delusions (Pg 164) and quite commonly as Insomnia (Pg 140)
>>
>>52961344
>>52962094
Let's see, this week to sum up, the team decided to board a station owned by someone who made clones, one of them being captain Faust.
First our handy mechanic Dee decided to remotely disable the mine that was left in our path.
Then after boarding, Jacq the pilot promptly absconded from the situation after trying to convince the others to just leave.
The others pressed onwards until they found another door with a pillbox behind it.
Our jack of all trades Hale, went and grabbed a large sheet of metal and proceeded to move upto the pill box using it as a tower shield.
The pillbox shot some kind of sonic gun down the hall, but they made it there.
In time for the people in the pillbox to leave and an alarm to start going off.
The ship was unlocked from the docking bay and the team ran back.
After returning to the ship the docking Bay exploded and Jacq had to dodge a piece of it.
The station sent out an sos claiming the crew were pirates, Hale shot at their antenna with the point defence gun, and Wendy tried to stop their transmission and block them.
In the end Jacq decided to just fly off.
After flying off the crew found Faust and the clone that was left on our ship were both alive.
The clone that was supposed to have been dead, was clinging to life. So Hale gave it a lethal dose of morphine.
After it died Wendy later found it dissolving into blue powder and liquid.
And that is where we left off.
>>
>>52962926
>>52962959
Sure, I though of that, but I'm looking for something more active. Other examples could include opening a door and rolling perception to see if there's a trap and detecting one, but it turns out there wasn't one.

I guess Paranoia is the closest to what I'm looking for.
>>
ETA 15 minutes on my campaign, and I don't fucking feel confident at all.
>>
>>52965114
Impose tarpit combat with a smartass bull or couple of house cats
>>
File: dog cello motivation.png (620KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dog cello motivation.png
620KB, 1920x1080px
>>52965114
I felt the same way. It will be okay.
Unless your players are dicks. In which case you shouldn't care.
>>
>>52965114
When in doubt, touch yourself under the table.
>>
>>52962452
>tries to prove that GURPS is math intensive.
>with an optional rule found in a publication intended for optional rules.

This is bait, or just plain ignorance, because anyone who reads the Basic Set knows this is bullshit. The Deadly Spring is an optional set of rules aimed at getting realistic performance out of bows, mainly used by GMs to generate his own list of bows and crossbows the players can use. The article that has the rules in found in Pyramid, a magazine. You have to go looking for the rules and keep up with the publication in order to even know they exist.

You're the real autist.
>>
>>52965114
Let us know how it went and good luck!
>>
File: 1482535443160.jpg (10KB, 324x451px) Image search: [Google]
1482535443160.jpg
10KB, 324x451px
>>52969283
>This is bait
no shit sherlock
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (212KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
212KB, 1920x1080px
Gray
what are you doing Gray
>>
File: 1475268429211.jpg (992KB, 2121x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1475268429211.jpg
992KB, 2121x3000px
>>52970460
>rolling 3d6+8 for CUT damage on Ogre Blade
(6+5+5)+8= 24

>All Out (Strong)

Goddamn, that's a lot of damage.

Thoughts on today's Grimwyld:

Multi-stage boss fight was a lot of fun, with killing the dark warlock lord turning him into a mass of writheing black tentcles.

Ablative DR is sort of awesome.

This group can put out an INSANE amount of single target damage.

We have powers and tools we don't understand yet and that might bite us on the ass. Even things like Roderick's fire we need to study more because we nearly got incinerated.

All and all a good boss fight, and one where social skills saved us from a huge clusterfuck. There were like 15 guards that might have jumped in on the other side and just shot us down.
>>
>>52970902
>There were like 15 guards that might have jumped in on the other side and just shot us down.
I can see where that might have gone poorly for you.
>>
File: 36706465_p0.jpg (304KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
36706465_p0.jpg
304KB, 800x565px
>>52970902
>We have powers and tools we don't understand yet and that might bite us on the ass.
Except for Suthri, who still only has his trusty musket and bardiche. Gunpowder and steel never betray you, and they cut off Elven warlocks' heads just fine! (Unfortunate if those heads then explode into infinite tentacles, though.)
IT tried to talk him into something while he was being dragged into the darkness, but he isn't going to fall for that crap.
>>
>>52946225
well it's not really supposed to be a spell, it's more like an ability from Powers only with a cost.
>>
First session of X-Com 1885 though I should've called it Le BPRD, but I don't want to give away a source of my inspiration to the players. It wasn't as much of a disaster as I thought, though there are couple of rough points.
1. 1d+1 fat damage wasn't as much of a game breaker than I thought, so I decided to let the player to hike it up to 2d+2. Then I re-read FP loss rules, did some math with typical FP values and realized that I created a monster. Then I remembered it has range of 10/100 and decided that I have the way to deal with it.
2. I gave some cannon fodder soldiers to the players, but I was fully expecting that they would slow the action down. Turns out soldiers are fine, it is the player characters who slow the combat down.
3. Players haven't used any grenades, which may create a problem, as I planned that use of explosives may give them a plot hook. As it turns out, they're not that useful against melee monsters, as those constantly move around trying to close the distance as fast as possible. Next time I should throw some gun-wielding enemies at them.
4. If I expect players to fight lots of monsters, I should make them a glass cannons, to make the combat faster.

All in all, I did expected some hiccups, and created the first adventure specifically to experiment with game balance.
>>
>>52972667
Good man!
Sounds like it was fun!

Players build PC's? What's the roster like so we can pick them apart?
>>
>>52972667
For #4, do you use the Boss /Worthy/Fodder rules? I find that that speeds up the game a LOT in most encounters and major important fights feel more intense.
>>
Can someone explain Basic Set cover rules for me?
>>
>>52974442
If you're under cover, and people attack you, they might have problems hitting you.

You can rule that : when under cover folks cannot hit you in the bits behind a wall. When they roll but location, that location rolled instead hits the brick and not your meats.

If you allow targeting locations, they can't hit your bits. They can take a penalty to hit it, if it's partially exposed , but otherwise you're safer.
>>
>>52974442
Sure. Page 407 is where they start.

Find an object. Stone walls or sandbags are best, but anything's fine really.

Stand behind it. This covers hit locations. You can take full cover behind some objects, but to attack you typically have to expose your head and neck to see targets and one arm and half your torso/vitals to shoot with a handgun, or two arms to shoot a long gun.

If someone shoots at you they have options. One is to shoot at your exposed areas, taking no penalty for fully exposed areas and -2 to half exposed areas.

Shoot as normal, no penalty, but if the hit location rolled is behind cover the bullet hits that before it hits you.

Shoot though cover. This gives an extra -2, or -10 if they are in full cover and you can't see them.

Cover DR is on page 559. A typical two course brick wall has 42 DR for cover, while a wood framed wall gives you 3 DR or so.
>>
>>52975022
>>52975046

So if I fired my gun for my turn, I would be exposed for the entire turn unless I took a "pop-up attack?"
>>
Anyone make like a short video showing off how to play GURPS? It would be interesting to see the basics explained in a video format.
I've always learned playing my systems by having them explained in person.
>>
>>52975866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C349VFDhaDE

I won't make one, but some people already have.

>>52975364
Yep. Note that you only need to expose one arm to blind fire a handgun, or to shoot one with a video-scope linked to a HUD.
>>
>>52976710
Coveranon here. Thanks!
>>
So can you have multiple different tech levels of a skill? Is there a way this works and like converting between or upgrading your skill tech level?

Like in situations where you could have an experienced pirate ship crew member could have a high crewman skill for working in his native techlevel but would need to learn different rules and procedure for a space ship, while a space ship crewman would have the opposite problem.
Obviously some knowledge would still be applicable and they'd be better at fitting in and learning the ropes than somehow who is only running on default crewmanship.
Is there a way to account for that or is it more just a wing it kind of thing?

Also what about learning more advanced science or medicine than your native tech level which just enhance your understanding rather than be a different set of skills, can you just up the tech level of your first aid skill?
>>
>>52978619
>So can you have multiple different tech levels of a skill?
When you just straight replace SKILL/TLX with SKILL/TL X+1, this means you lose your SKILL/TLX and you will get TL DIFFERENCE PENALTY when you use your new SKILL/TLX+1 with TL X things cuz you dont have SKILL/TLX.
Better was is it work it with skill adaptation perk.
>>
>>52978926
Skill adaption really is the way to work. Otherwise you eat the wrong TL penalty or just buy the skill again at a different TL (This is especially apporpate for things like Machinist, where at TL 3 it's utterly different then TL 8)
>>
Am I the only one who has problem with Guns skill differing by TL? I mean, it's not like it's a medicine where changes are drastic and universal. Right now, most armies use TL7 firearms, and US uses some TL6 guns as well. And seriously, what's the big difference between TL7 and TL8 guns that would warrant a -1 penalty? I think that familiarity penalties and skill defaults (using musket with Rifles skill, using handgonne with Musket skill, etc) would cover this kind of thing perfectly.
>>
>>52981210
There is pyramid article in Alternate GURPS 3 with alternative gun specialties, which addresses most issues with Guns skill.
>>
>>52981210
Try check P3-65 Alternate Guns Specialties and Techniques.
>>
File: FELIN FAMAS.jpg (61KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
FELIN FAMAS.jpg
61KB, 800x531px
>>52981210
That's where a GM's discretion comes in in my opinion. Most armies are using TL7 firearms yes, but have you seen the actual TL8 guns? Pic related. A TL7-trained rifleman is going to be confused by this, and not gain the full bonus, if any.

That said, the others are right; Pyramid 3-5 Alternate GURPS 3 has the "Alternate Guns Specialities and Techniques" article which is really excellent. I'm using it currently in a PMC campaign of mine.
>>
>>52913730
What are the rules for having a small knife embedded in tour throats from t being thrown at your throat?
>>
>>52981313
If you did swing impaling damage with it with a downward swing strike into someone's neck, then it may get stuck, if so, when pulled out it deals damage equal to half what it did going in.
>>
>>52981304
Doesnt he just need Electronic Operation/TL8 or Solder/TL8 for that scope thing?
>>
File: gypsy_caravan.jpg (60KB, 428x321px) Image search: [Google]
gypsy_caravan.jpg
60KB, 428x321px
>>52971166

Joked this week about getting a wagon for the big bastard in the group to pull, and..

Maybe not a joke. The rules for pulling weight in a wagon are pretty generous and the group has a lot of supplies and infrequently disabled people to transport. Being able to divide the weight by 20 would help.

Time to see if those gypsy half elves are still around.
>>
>>52981643
Not the craziest plan you've had. The Ro-haern caravans would be a great way to travel, assuming they want to work with you...

https://youtu.be/zH64dlgyydM
>>
>>52981304
Exactly which of these weapons will confuse TL7 rifleman? G11 maybe, but this thing can confuse a Swiss clockmaker.
>>
File: Безымянный.png (86KB, 1115x256px) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный.png
86KB, 1115x256px
>>52982179
>>52981304
Forgot pic
>>
>>52982179
>>52982189
Just use the alternate defaults article then from
>>52981274
No need to start an argument
>>
>>52982179
>>52982189
G11 design started in '68. It could be argued it's late TL7.
Actual TL8 weapons are things like the F2000 with its grenade fire control system. Computer sights like the FAMAS I mentioned.

You should use that article mentioned before, but here's what I'm getting at, and the problem with tech levels in this case. Those weapons are made with TL7 methods, and sometimes modern materials, but were introduced in the TL8 period, even though they don't really use any uniquely TL8+ tech. That's the problem.

It's like if I made a broadsword out of tungsten carbide, carbon fibre, and industrial diamond. It'd be a TL8 weapon but a TL3 swordsman would be able to pick it up and use it just fine, even though it'd seem to have magical toughness and edge to him.
>>
>>52982257
>TL8 weapon but a TL3 swordsman would be able to pick it up
The difference between IQ and DX skills, in different tech levels, in a nutshell
>>
How do you handle a world with a range of tech levels? I'm thinking of something post-apocalyptic, with the people living there having time to build their society back up, i think natively their society might be tech level 3 or 4, or just pushing into 5, but the world they live in can go over tech level 10 in parts, depending on the area and what can be found there.

So from their own development they'd be low tech, but finding artifacts and being able to restore and scavenge older, more advanced things wouldnt be uncommon, so it would really be a large range of tech level.

Tech Level 11 might as well be considered magic to them and I'm wanting most of their basic magic used to actually be a type of psi based off of nanomachine manipulation.

Would this work out well in practice?
>>
What would make an ideal first campaign for introducing a group to GURPS, probably just GURPS Lite initially, but I want to get my friends into the system and do a little probing of the waters to see how we like it.
>>
>>52983628
Check Dungeon Fantasy series
>>
Is there a release date for dungeon fantasy?
>>
Anyone done GURPS Cops? Sounds like it'd be really fun.
>>
How much HP would a bag full of money have for the purpose of calculated collision damage?
>>
>>52983143
After the End has rules for that.

>>52984389
Sometime in autumn, I think. August of this year?

>>52984561
I haven't, but you should and give us after-action reports!

>>52987347
Calculate its HP per its weight as a homogenous object per B557-558.
>>
>>52987674
>tfw confident in my ability to come up with stories and characters but not confident with actually GMing, doing it all on the spot etc.
>>
>>52987714
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You'll never get anywhere by sitting on your ass and worrying if you can or can't. If you do GM and fuck up, that's great! Learn from your mistakes and try again. If you do alright, or even a good job, even better. People appreciate effort, even if the execution is lacking, as long as they can see that you tried.
>>
>>52987769
True! Do you have any tips for a beginner GM?
>>
>>52987347
That would probably depend on the bag's size and weight, bruh.

A trivia site lists that it takes approximately 490 notes to make up a pound of cash. Two other sites give us the dimension of a $100 stack of $1 bills (.43x2.61x6.14). If we round up the earlier value to make the math easier, we get approximately $500 in $1s = 1 lb. = 34.5 cu. in. An eight-pound bowling bawl has a volume of roughly 320 cu. in., and I feel that's a reasonably sized bag for whalloping a dude or carrying from a bank vault.

Put all this together, and I'd say the iconic bag of cash complete with dollar-sign on it carries about $4,500 and weighs about 9 pounds. Phoneposting right now, but you should be able to get the HP value in the back of Campaigns; for something Homogenous and weighting nine pounds, it won't be a whole lot.

>GURPS: We Swear We're Not Autistic, Just Detail-Oriented.™
>>
>>52987804
Find a campaign idea you like/love and run it. Read How to Be a GURPS GM for good general/system-specific advice. Don't sweat the rules: If it takes longer than 30 seconds to look up, eyeball whatever it is that needs eyeballing, make a snap judgement on whatever needs judging. Make sure your players are having fun.

If you want to "get good" at improvising, create self-motivated actors. If someone has Greed, then they're going to go for money. If someone has Honesty, they'll acquiesce to appeals to the law. If someone wants a macguffin and has Sadism and Bloodlust, they're going to get it by violent means.
>>
>>52987933
This is going to be a bit of a weird question but say
>PC is piloting a ship
>'Suddenly alarm goes off, light flashing, siren blaring, it's a fire alarm in the cargo hold'
Now the PC knows how to fly a ship, knows his way around the cockpit, and knows that he can access a camera to see what's going on in the cargo hold, however the player wouldn't necessarily know that. Do I say 'You can check the CCTV to have a look!' or do I just leave them to it or what.

Basically how much do you tell/point out to the players and how much do you just leave to them. Would it make sense for me to tell them what their characters knows if the player doesn't know?
>>
>>52988082
For a pilot, they would know about the cockpit. Something I like to do in these situations is take just a minor bit of narrative control from the player and have their character do something that's completely in-line with what they'd do normally for that job.

>PC is piloting a ship
>'Suddenly alarm goes off, light flashing, siren blaring, it's a fire alarm in the cargo hold'
>'You flick switch, putting CCTV on the screen. You can see it's <thing>'
>>
File: 1121_black_l.jpg (30KB, 507x507px) Image search: [Google]
1121_black_l.jpg
30KB, 507x507px
>>52987898
I was picturing a more modern, Payday-like heist, with the players carrying something like a packable dufflebag, so they can store it in their gear easily, then expand into a full bag when they need to move the goods.

This specific one holds 3168 cu. in. so that would be 3168 capacity/34.5 per pound of cash so that would be 91 lbs of bills, and 45,500 individual bills. So that would, according to the chart, have an HP of 36.

That could really put a hurt on someone if thrown or dropped.
Since I was thinking of Payday, and throwing bags around is a major part of the gameplay, I was always wondering what the exact stats on these would be, and what kind of damage a tossed bag would do.
>>
>>52988156
Great that makes sense cheers
>>
So guys now one of my players made a new mage character and I got most rules already done however I don't know how to determine how many spells this character should know at the start.
I have been reading through the manual and I couldn't find anything.
>>
>>52988232
Good luck!

>>52988307
You buy as many spells as you can afford/want. Each one is a skill, and each costs points. As far as how many you should buy, I couldn't really say. I don't know Basic Set magic that well.
>>
>>52988198
Ohh very nice. Remember though, that throwing damage has a different calculation; at 91 lb., you'll need to be exceptionally strong in the first place to do more than drop it in front of you.
>>
>>52989704
I was particularly interested in dropping it on someone like from a second floor window. Which would do 3d damage according to formula.

What else should I read up on for throwing and such?
>>
>>52990756
First chapter of Campaigns has a section called "Physical Feats"; check there for throwing rules. It comes down to the ratio of your basic lift to the item's weight. At the default ST 10/BL 20, you've got about a 1:5 ratio, which means lolno range and poor damage (which is based off your Thr damage). I think you may be better off dropping the bag one yard onto the other guy's toes.
>>
Should i buy the GURPS 4e reprint?
10 books for 215 dollars, including the Basic Set
I don't like how a lot of the addons I am interested in are for 3e.
>>
>>52992258
Buying 3e splats secondhand doesn't help support SJGames. Buy however much you feel comfortable with and then use that to justify pirating old 3e stuff they don't make anymore (unless it's one of a handful of remastered digital releases).
>>
>>52992258
From where?
>>
>>52992793
Warehouse 23
>>
File: asparagus.jpg (288KB, 550x727px) Image search: [Google]
asparagus.jpg
288KB, 550x727px
Did anyone actually ever make an Asparagus a splatbook?
>>
>>52993061
Yes.
>>
>>52993061
Sentient asparagus isn't less playable than psychic blueberry muffin.
>>
File: GURPS- Asparagus.pdf (273KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS- Asparagus.pdf
273KB, 1x1px
>>52993434
I mean it's racial template is kind of like -600 points.
>>
File: GURPS 4E - Asparagus v2.pdf (282KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 4E - Asparagus v2.pdf
282KB, 1x1px
>>52994337
This is old version. You should use new one unless you are filthy pirate who don't receive updates.
>>
Would loading a shotgun like this be covered under the double loading from Gunfu or could it be it's own trait specific to guns with a tube magazine as long as you had a bandolier or similar shell holder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YvUlfIOPrM

Then something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdFTFG0iCI if you have the double loading skill, and the advanced shotgun loading trait?
>>
Does anyone have the pdf for 4th edition SpecOps? The mega doesn't seem to have it, unless I'm blind.
>>
>>52995174
Sounds good, at least that I would certainly consider that about what double loading looks like. Reminds me of Monster Hunters International.

>>52988156
This sort of minor narration is a really, really useful tool for a GM. It lets players know things their character would know without slowing the game down or them having to ask. You can also use this to remind players of things.

Like..

"He introduces himself as a trader Yakama but you know he is lying. His accent is Vancouver, and he lacks the deep tan of people from the arid land east of the mountains."
>>
>>52992818
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-reprint-bundle

This? You say 4e but aren't they 3e books? Have they been updated? Is 3e compatible with 4e?
>>
File: tumblr_o04uxwBQnB1rnui1jo1_540.jpg (110KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o04uxwBQnB1rnui1jo1_540.jpg
110KB, 540x810px
>>52998761
>http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-reprint-bundle

Those are 4th edition books, friend. Current edition, just individual books that had gone out of print. SJG is rushing into 2009 and getting into Print on Demand, so the books are back.
>>
>>52998793
Yeah realised that after posting.

Will they sell out quickly do you think?
>>
File: 1455496124843.jpg (198KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
1455496124843.jpg
198KB, 500x708px
>>52998820

I'm not sure, the preorder is available until May 7th and after that I don't know if it's sure that you'd be able to get it. It's a nice collection for the price, but kind of a big investment if you are just getting into GURPS. I'd totally get it, but I already own about 3/4ths of them.
>>
File: 1473705029674.jpg (57KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473705029674.jpg
57KB, 450x600px
>>52998850
I am just getting into GURPS and it says if you pre order you get the core rulebooks, however it is a big investment I think I'll pass.
>>
File: Winter Fae Knight.pdf (25KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Winter Fae Knight.pdf
25KB, 1x1px
Would this be an okay and interesting challenge for TL 3 characters at about 175 points? Is the "ice shotgun" power too much?
>>
>>52999788
Consider dropping the armor divisor; TL3 armor isn't all that impressive, and rapid-fire shots hit more often and are harder to defend against. If you have one PC that's too tanky to let you drop AD and still easily threaten him, have the NPC instead target less-armored hit location or simply ignore the tin can and go after his buddies if (lol) the fae is a bit of a dick.
>>
>>52962452
Easy because our IQ is 100+ per person, instead of 100 IQ between the whole group.
>>
>>52962452
>Being a brainlet
It's okay, you might be competent at labor jobs (^:
>>
>>53000649
1d damage is not impressive either. Even the lightest armor will offer pretty good protection against it. Hell, I've just seen DR2 deflecting a shotgun blast from point-blank range (it was a 20 gauge sawn-off peashooter, but it still freaked players out - since they didn't knew DR values of their opponent, they decided it is armored up the ass, and tried to shoot it into armor chinks with high-damage guns).
>>
File: 1425808585383.jpg (40KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1425808585383.jpg
40KB, 479x720px
>>53000663
>>
File: 2013-03-28122816_zps719fd70e.jpg (250KB, 949x659px) Image search: [Google]
2013-03-28122816_zps719fd70e.jpg
250KB, 949x659px
>>52995174
>>52997013
Having slept on the question, I come back with the conclusion that that double loading should be how it works with tube fed guns, the actual description in Gunfu only specifically refers to revolvers and multi-barrel guns, but it could be easily extrapolated out to tube magazine guns, or anything that loads one at a time, such as a bolt action rifle if you lack the clips to load it 5-10 at time.

Then you can aquire further specialized equipment, like the belt we see the shooter using in the second video that allows him to load four at a time using that technique, because without that setup it would be very hard to fit four shotgun shells in hand in a way that would allow them to be speedily shoved into the gun.

I'd also allow gear like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkyEbrqNGw
You put an adapter on your shotgun, which I'd say would hinder your normal loading a bit due to that thing being in the way, maybe a -1 or -2 on fast-draw (ammo) rolls when loading without a speedloader, but then you can use shotgun speedloaders, which come in 4 round, 6 round and 8 round flavors depending on your shotgun choice.
>>
Stat me, /tg/
>>
>>53001147
Pistol caliber and velocity, so 1d to 2d pi damage. Semi-auto, so RoF 3. Shots is 10(3), but extended magazines are available up to 33 shots. RCL appears to be relatively light, so I'll put that at RCL 3. The gun's Bulk is its most notable feature as the weapon can be folded up when not in use; I'm eyeballing it as Bulk -5 when ready to fire and Bulk -3 when folded, with three to five Ready maneuvers required to fold/unfold. My gut instinct is to slap on a Malf penalty due to issues with sealing when you let bits of your gun swing around, but I'm assuming any competent gun manufacturer can sort those issues out. Reading up on it though, it looks like the springs used are too powerful for the cartridges, leading to blockages, so it might still warrant a Malf of 17 or even 16 despite competent sealing design.
>>
File: john-wick-keanu-reeves.jpg (434KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
john-wick-keanu-reeves.jpg
434KB, 1920x1080px
>>52996027
Somebody here please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a 4th edition for SpecOps, or Cops, or SWAT.

I think all of those are 3e splatbooks.
How well does 3e convert to 4e like that?
>>
>>53003041
>Character options
There's a conversion guide. It's not hard, and you mostly just adjust point values.
>Firearms
Drop SS, halve Acc.
>Other equipment
Use as-is.
>>
>>52962452
>19yo
>never even completede highschool because muh depression
Are you fucking kidding? those are easy, even 3ed vehicles V2 is easy. If i, a depressive malnourished bulimic failure who couldn't even finnish highschool can do it, anyone on tg, no matter how fucked, can do it.
>>
File: tips bascinet.png (117KB, 228x240px) Image search: [Google]
tips bascinet.png
117KB, 228x240px
>>53000663
>>
File: Tips Fedora 14.jpg (21KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
Tips Fedora 14.jpg
21KB, 437x437px
>>53000663
tip
>>
>>53003727
Are 3e vehicles even that complicated? Is it worth merging that system back into 4e at all or is it better to just go with the 4e system?
>>
>>53003041
Only 7 guns btween specops, cops or swat are not covered on High Tech or its supplements
>>
>>53003839
I was mostly concerned with the advantages, skills, other equipment and such those would have offered.
>>
>>53003795
It isn't complicated and conversion is easy, these are my quicknotes;

ST/HP
cube root(3rd edition Body HP) * 12
Handling
Water Vehicles : ((3rd edition maneuver rating/Top Speed in mph) * 500) - 6
Ground Vehicles : ((3rd edition maneuver rating/Top Speed in mph) * 500) - 5
Air Vehicles : ((3rd edition maneuver rating/Top Speed in mph) * 200) - 5
SR: keep the same, however, nothing over 5.
HT: keep the same

But cost you will need to adjust by hand, sorry, the money system was spaghetti with no real correlations
>>
>>53003884
Other equipment can just be carried over while skills can be ported over using Hobby Skill, Professional Skill and Specialist Skill as a base. You could also finetune it by hand after checking the correlation btween the point cost and any other options that would do "the same thing".

Btw check HighTech, it has pretty much everything you need to replicate modern spec teams. Do not forget that HT has way more than just guns, it covers everything from TL 5+, even touching "ultratech" territory.
>>
>>52996027
As >>53003041 says, SpecOps is a 3rd edition splatbook, you can find it in the mega under the older books folder.
Same with Cops, but SWAT doesn't seem to be there.

I have SWAT I just can't figure out how to add files to the mega, even using the username and password given in the OP .pdf says I don't have permissions to add files, so I uploaded it to my dropbox and someone who knows how to work that can add it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz5lddphfjf4afe/GURPS%203rd%20-%20SWAT.pdf?dl=0

>>53003884
>>53003997
I'm pretty sure Tactical Shooting for 4th ed covers a lot of what is in SWAT as well, but that book does call back to pages of SWAT a few times so I assume not everything is in there otherwise it wouldn't tell you to reference the old book.

Seals in Vietnam also references SpecOps like this too.
>>
>>53003795
>Are 3e vehicles even that complicated?

YES

Creating a vehicle at 3d is exactly like creating a character at fatal
>>
File: Jerry-Miculek.jpg (58KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry-Miculek.jpg
58KB, 600x407px
>>53001059
>that video
I need to make Jerry Miculek as my next character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM
I assume the rules I'd need to make a character who can fire a revolver six times, reload and fire it six more times in 2.99 seconds would be under Gun-fu?
>>
>>53004193
No, it isn't, but you need to know what are you doing before starting it, that system is a way to give stats to a blueprint.
>>
>>53004193
>>53004808
Does it warrant the complicated system or is not much lost by using 4e rules?
>>
>>53004605

You can do it with just High Tech rules and a perk from Tactical Shooting.
2.99 seconds is 3 turns, since a turn is a rough abstract period of time averaging around 1 second.
Turn 1: All-Out Attack using Fast-Firing lets you go as high as RoF 6 (and increases Rcl by 4)
Turn 2: Reload. Quick Reload perk and a successful Fast-Draw takes this down to 1 turn with a speedloader.
Turn 3: All-Out Attack using Fast-Firing again.

Unfortunately, the video doesn't mention how many hits he scored when he did that, if it did, we could estimate what his skill would have to be and from that figure out what techniques he's using (definitely a technique that improves fast-firing, probably in combination with the ranged rapid strike technique)
>>
>>53005589
There are no 4e rules for vehicle building. Thats the point of it
>>
>>53005647
Im pretty sure he landed all 12 shots from a few yards away.

He also used an 8 shot revolver to hit 2 shots each on four different targets in 1.06 seconds.

His records are pretty fucking impressive, including dual wielding AR-15 pistols to land 19 shots on 5 different targets in 3.10 seconds, raising a rifle from low ready and shooting a grape from 15 yards in half a second and shooting a target from 400 yards away while holding his revolver upside down and using his pinkie finger to pull the trigger.

https://youtu.be/WyIq9FdTgwM
>>
>>53005866
>Im pretty sure he landed all 12 shots from a few yards away.
Let's go with that.
It's easiest to resolve each turn as two ranged rapid strikes firing 3 shots each.

Ranged rapid strike technique +0, to buy off the -6 penalty for ranged rapid strike.
His revolver has rcl 2 base, Rcl +4 from firing at RoF 6.

3 shots with Rcl 6 means he has to hit by a margin of 12. His Sports:Guns skill probably isn't THAT high, so he's using a technique here as well. (or maybe a perk, to halve the extra Rcl from high RoF? Success by margin 8 I can believe)

>He also used an 8 shot revolver to hit 2 shots each on four different targets in 1.06 seconds.
The targets are very close to each other, so a perk to allow Spraying Fire makes this doable.
>>
>>53006203
Rather than customs perks or techniques, I'd just give the guy the bonus for non-adventuring scenarios in practiced, safe environments. If we go by the Basic Set's recommended +4, he could have Sport (Guns)-16, which is an experienced professional's skill level, for an ESL of 20; a roll of eight or lower would give a MoS of 12.

I think Tactical Shooting explicitly states that plinking at a gun range is normally +5, and we can probably safely assume the guy has Equipment Bond with his chosen firearms for trick shooting for another +1. This bumps up the final ESL to 22, meaning the shooter succeeds on a 10 or less, or roughly 50% of the time.
>>
>>53005589

Vehicles provides two things.

Design Rules and Combat Rules

The design rules give Price/Mass/TL/Volume levels. The design system isn't too far off to be honest (I haven't done it yet, but I suspect that one could go far with a GV2 design, and convert it using GURPS update)

The Basic Vehicle combat rules are close, but not exactly. The way handling and control is different.

We haven't seen advanced vehicle combat rules for 4.
>>
File: tumblr_odnsyaEkq81uxzaf6o1_1280.jpg (544KB, 600x892px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odnsyaEkq81uxzaf6o1_1280.jpg
544KB, 600x892px
>>53000649
>>53000797

Thank you very much for the feedback. It's funny to think about players overreacting to a DR save vs a low damage shotgun hit.

The 1d pi-(2) ROF 1x14 was sort of an attempt to do a lot of things with their ability to conjur blast of ice. Damage is low (average of 1.75 wounding on needles that hit) but it can threaten people with DR 4 or 5 more then a typical bow and arrow.

Mostly I wanted it to be something scary for my players. It gives them a big to hit bonus and it's cheap to shoot and hard to dodge.

Is their DR more or less reasonable?
>>
>>52913730
How do I make cyberwear, like the Cyberpunk? Do I need to apply the Electrical limitation? Any others?
>>
>>53008301
There are examples in Ultra Tech that cover a lot. Otherwise cybernetics may but doesn't have to include the electricial limitation. You can build all kinds of advantage as cybernetics
>>
>>53008301

Cybernetics are basically just fluffed up advantages with limitations like Electrical and Maintenance attached, really. They're also the only why (by RAW) to buy advantages with money, if you GM is using cybernetics that way.
>>
>>53009896
Buying cybernetics can be an interesting challenge, as it can allow characters to increase their point value for cash.

Aren't there also metatronic generators or something from Pyramid that allow this?
>>
>>53006203
>>53006486
What exactly would a Sport (Guns) give him? Like would he roll with that instead of his regular gun skills? I'm not quite sure on how Sport skills work.
>>
Oh damn. Rewatched Evil Dead and the Army of Darkness

Kinda convinced I need to put an army of the deadites somewhere in my game
>>
File: tumblr_oboy1pXP5F1vcl415o1_1280.jpg (152KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oboy1pXP5F1vcl415o1_1280.jpg
152KB, 730x1095px
>>53014424
Fragile (Brittle) for them so they break apart and some Injury Tolerance (Unliveing)? Of course, pun based powers.
>>
>>53014132
Combat Art and Combat Sport are variants on combat or weapon skills that focus on either aesthetics or conforming to a sport's rule set over actual combat effectiveness. Those skills and the actual combat version default to each other at -3; for the guy we're talking about, he has Combat Sport (Pistol) because his training focuses on plinking targets in a certain way. His skill can be used in actual combat (and if he has the sport skill at 16, he's no slouch when he's defaulting to 13), but he isn't going to be an ultra-professional at it.
>>
>>53006787
6'2" and 98 pounds is more then fucking skinny

You can alpha them to death if you beat them on initative. They have to spend a Ready Action and 1 FP to turn on their armor.

That rapier is what, a backup weapon for when FP/Ammo runs low? It's sort of fucking awful.
>>
>>53017915
He's also ST 10, and Skinny just means your ST is considered even lower for the purposes of knockback. Remember the dude's fae, so weird proportions are the norm; he probably looks like what happens when you take a scrawny 5'8" dude and stretch him out.
>>
hi guys, never used GURPS before but want to run a Resident Evil style campaign. Any ideas what books I should start with? Thank you
>>
>>53020528
Which Resident Evil?
>>
>>53020580
While there's a lot of variation between the games, you can't really go wrong with recommending Horror and High-Tech.
>>
>>53020528
>never used GURPS
>what books I should start with?
GURPS Lite.

As this anon >>53020616 said Horror and High-Tech are useful, but be careful with extra rules.

Also, How to be a GURPS GM is pretty good if you never ran a game before.
>>
>>53020727
Good thing about Horror and High-Tech is that the rules are minimal; one's a guideline for setting/campaign and the other's an equipment catalog.

But yeah, less really is more in GURPS, especially when you're starting out. I would say, though, that after reading Lite and having your players read Lite, you as the GM read the Basic Set; the players don't need more that Lite, but as the GM, it's beneficial to have a larger toolbox (if nothing else, it gives you access to advantages for statting up horrors with abilities the players don't even know exist).
>>
File: re6.jpg (237KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
re6.jpg
237KB, 1920x1080px
>>53020528
>Any ideas what books I should start with?
Basic set. (And possibly SEALS, Gun-fu, High-Tech, Monster Hunters, Zombies)
G* is not about books, G* is about assembling the right rules (which may vary between different GMs about same campaign).
>>
>>53015501
So sports/combat art skills are essentially alternate ways to improve the default for actual fighting skills, such as shooting sports or like judo, boxing or karate, or various situational things like using Sport (Baseball) for throwing?
>>
>>53020528
Use GURPS Lite. Look up the rules in Basic Set for gun stats (B268~271) and guns in the combat chapter. Include the rules for hit locations (B398-400, B420-421 for crippling injuries), or, if you're feeling minimalistic, just the rules for headshots (-7 penalty to hit, wounding modifier becomes x4). Zombies are likely to have Injury Tolerance (Undead), the rules for which you can find on B380. It basically means that guns do less damage unless you shoot for a vital spot like the skull.

And that's pretty much all you'd need for a Resident Evil game. You can add on other books if you want, but you don't need to. I suggest 100 to 125 points, with up to -50 in disadvantages for an earlier Resident Evil feel, and up to 200 or even 250 for a modern action game Resident Evil.
>>
>>53021664
For the most part, yeah. Unless you have a military or exceptionally rough or unusual background, you won't know, for example, Karate -- dojos teach Combat Sport (Karate) -- and almost no one actually knows Rapier -- it's all Combat Art (Rapier) for fight choreography or Combat Sport (Rapier) for fencing. This skills can work in a pinch, but they're not "true" combat skills.
>>
>>53021969
Academic fencing is still popular in Europe, and it shows up in the US in areas of large German concentrates.

I know that épée fencing is actually fairly similar to 19th century French dueling, and saber fencing can run the gambit between Olympic sport to people just practicing saber fighting.
>>
>>53021969
So depending on the background of the character and the setting Combat Art/Combat Sport are pretty much there to make a character background friendly version of getting the actual skill to default to combat art-3 instead of attribute-3?

What would being a hunter fall under? Combat Sport (Rifle) or Combat Sport (Shotgun) for bird hunting? Or bow/crossbow if you do that kind of hunting?
>>
Reminder to use R. PK's rules regarding sport and art.
http://www.mygurps.com/index.php?p=i&a=1h&v=0#houserules
Quote:

When you learn a Combat skill, Combat Art skill, or Combat Sport skill (see p. B184 for details), you may buy up the other two versions as an Average technique defaulting to your skill-3. For example, if you know Karate Art at DX+2, you know Karate at DX-1 and can buy it up to DX+2 level for 3 points.

This change is due to equal parts game-balance and realism. As the rules are written now, if you know (e.g.) Broadsword at DX+4, it costs 12 points to buy just your Broadsword Art up to the same level. That's a game balance issue because you're wasting points -- not just due to the lack of utility, but because you'd be nuts not to just spend the 12 points on Broadsword (raising Broadsword Art and Sport by +3, from default, simultaneously). While that issue comes up with other defaults, it's especially bad here, as many martial arts styles require you to, e.g., learn both Judo and Judo Art. And it's a realism issue, because fighters and athletes do transition between (e.g.) tournaments and MMA fighting without spending a full year training non-stop to adapt. A technique is a fair compromise; at 3 points per skill, it costs 6 points to raise all three variants to the same level -- exactly half of the 12 points mentioned above.
>>
>>53022145
It's still defined by a rule set (though epee is the most lax of the three with no worrying about right-of-way) and taught exclusively with tournament sanctioned gear. Additionally, because there's a focus on scoring points rather than making telling blows, high-end fencing moves (like that goddamn tip whipping) are very effective for the sport but useless in a fight.

>>53022147
Hunting just uses the straight combat skills. The big thing that separates Combat, Combat Art, and Combat Sport is what the focus is. If it's being effective with the weapon, it's Combat. If it's looking good with the weapon/makes A E S T H E T I C movements, it's Combat Art. If you're focusing on a set of rules or a points system, it's Combat Sport. Hunters just need to make an accurate shot -- for example, they're not worried about their shooting form beyond how it affects their shot -- so they have Guns (Rifle) and not Combat Sport (Rifle).

I will admit, though, that the divide between sport and actual combat usage is much much smaller for firearms than it is for martial arts. Most shooting "sports" grew out of very practical competitions, so many are light on the extra rules and points systems that define other sports. Going back to fencing vs. actual rapier fighting, fencing has lots of things to keep in mind like right-of-way, hits to non-legal targets, and a focus on depressing a tip sensor rather than striking a serious blow, and none of those factor into the actual combat. Meanwhile, pistol sports are basically "shoot the target" within various parameters.
>>
>>53022465
That's why I mentioned academic fencing and traditional saber fencing. Academic fencing is literally just combat where you don't try to kill the other person but you still use a sharpened sword.
>>
File: keanu operating.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
keanu operating.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>53022465
Depending on where you go, some two gun and three gun matches get pretty intense, like requiring you to cross rope bridges while holding your gun, push trucks or flip tires down a course, and many involve stuff like having to dive to a prone position. Three Gun is really focused on practical skills, manuevering and shooting multiple targets.
And skeet and trap shooting is all about moving targets.

I feel like more kinds of martial arts other than fencing are more applicable directly to combat though, considering MMA vs martial arts tournements thing, a lot of martial arts training is actual sparing like how a fight would go without much rules in the way like there is with fencing.
>>
Could someone explain why a long axe becomes unready after an attack while a dueling halberd doesn't?
>>
File: 1479043479250.png (190KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1479043479250.png
190KB, 600x849px
>>53023184
>dueling halberd
The most Op reach weapon out there right now
>>
>>53023441
This. Easily best in it's class, and best in most other classes as well.
>>
If I have a 14 melee weapon skill and a heavy shield, is there any reason not to lower my Basic Speed to 3, for more points? Then raise Move to 6 to compensate.
The DB 3 from the shield gives me 13 block and parry. I'd even 9 dodge without retreating. I mean sure, people can hit me where the shield isn't. But it's not like I don't have a group fighting with me. Also, it's not like with firearm campaigns where high Initiative is important.

>>53023184
TL2 vs TL3.
>>
Do improvised weapons like using a crowbar or pipewrench or table leg or beer bottle fall under brawling or the closest analogous weapon skill such as mace or whatever the hell a beer bottle is close to?
>>
>>53024031
From Basic Set p.289
>Crowbar, 3’ (TL2). Treat as a small
mace in combat, but at -1 to skill. $20,
3 lbs.
Rest can be found in Low Tech, page 63. It's usually the most similar weapon with -1 or -2 skill and or damage, some have (0.5) armor divisor.
>>
>>53024031
Closest analogue, but note that brawling already includes competence with some improvised fist loads, brawling isn't JUST unarmed punch.
Basic Set 404 gives you guidelines for what the stats should be.
>>
>>52913730

How can I make a Parahuman template in GURPS: Transhuman Space (4E) which emulates actual anime catgirls (i.e. completely human with an added human proportional sized cat tail, ears, & eyes (NO fur on anything other than the aforementioned ears and tail)?
>>
>>53024306

Acute Hearing [2]
Perk: Fetish appeal [1] (perk-level positive appearance, good for the occasional +1 reaction modifier)
Unnatural Features 3 [-3]
Tail [0] (benefits of having a dextrous tail balances the fact you have to modify all your pants or stick to skirts)
>>
>>53024436

Thanks.
>>
>>53024306
Advantages:
Extra Arm (No Physical Attack -50%) [5]
Night Vision 5 [5]

I mean that's it? If it's just visual, there's not much to a race. If they don't have claws or anything. Then add appearance and social bonuses or minuses.
>>
>>53024025
A few reasons, some RAW, some not.

>Penalized defenses
Dodge is special because it doesn't drop with repeated use. If you end up getting mobbed (and it WILL happen eventually) Parry will quickly drop to shit. Also, don't ignore the possibility of losing your weapon.

>Disadvantage limit
Negative attributes and secondary characteristics count against your disadvantage cap. Is there nothing better to eat up -40 points that doesn't also require you wasting 10+ points fixing Move?

>Ambushes
If an enemy gets the jump on you, they have even more time to whack on you because not only are you stunned, you won't be able to attempt to recover until everyone else has taken their turn.

>Justification
Since GURPS can do anything, there's a stronger focus on why your character is how they are. Why does your character have such harshly reduced speed? How do you explain it?

Also wait, what the fuck? Assuming your BS stays at the default 5.00 (meaning you have not improved DX or HT *at all*), your Dodge bumps to 11 with that shield, or 14 (!!) if retreating. That's really really useful and not that much lower than your listed Parry/Block scores. Why are you sacrificing such a good Dodge score?
>>
>>52913730

How should I handle/run "Hiver" NPCs in Transhuman Space? These are people who use their brain implants & supporting software to constantly share surface level thoughts, emotions, and sensations between each other.
>>
>>53024691
I'm sacrificing the Dodge because we don't have a lot of points to use. And as house rule, we don't count the disadvantage limit for stats. I'd actually have 6 BS, so this would give me 60 points (minus 10 or 15 for move).
If I get mobbed, I'm fucked either way, and still have parry and block for two attacks. Though it's a valid point IF suddenly three or more enemies all target me and all manage to hit.
As justification, my character's not dumb, but he likes to take it slow, loves fishing, camping, knitting. Fighting is just what he's forced to for the journey.
>>
>>53024767
Telecommunication (Radio; Sensie, +80%; Always On, -10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Electrical, -20%; Vague, -50%) [10], or [15] if I'm misreading your post and Vague, -50% is inappropriate.
>>
>>53024964

THS already gives stats for their implants. I'm asking for GMing advice.
>>
>>53024767
Really, treat them as one conscious npc, distributed through multiple bodies. Separate personalities appear when there is sufficient lag between them to allow for subconscious drift.

One voice
One hive
One mind
Many bodies
>>
>>53023184
A rules oversight. The dueling halbred almost justifies this, but would be reach 1, if held with one hand high and the other quite low on the shaft to maximize leverage and control, but there's zero logic to the dueling halbred being handier then a glave that weighs two pounds less.

I'd also note that the widely spaced grip would make it hard to get a very good swing in and would mean you'd likely have to knock it down to sw + 3 cut

Or just break down and note the fact that a ten pound long hefted axe is unwieldy.
>>
From Basic:

>Choose the side effects from the effects described for Affliction (p. 35). Valid choices are stunning, Attribute Penalty, Disadvantage, and Incapacitation. The cost of Side Effect is a base +50%, plus the cost of the Affliction enhancements. For instance, stunning would be +50%, while Disadvantage (Blindness) would be +100%

>For instanse, stunning would be +50%

Going by this formula, it should actually be +60% (+50% base, +10% from stunning as per Affliction). However, all sources I've seen go with +50% total.
What am I missing?
>>
>>53026325
Afflictions inflict stunning by default for +0%. That +10% is for afflictions that inflict some other condition AND stun the target, but stunning by itself is worth +0%.
>>
>>53026412
Oh, thanks!
>>
Is the enhancement for DX or IQ that lets you ignore the Rule of 20 ever worth it? It seems like taking one level in Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) and giving yourself one point in whatever skill you want to use would be both cheaper and more effective.
>>
>>53027229
>Is the enhancement for DX or IQ that lets you ignore the Rule of 20 ever worth it?
Yes. When one level in Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) and giving yourself one point in whatever skill you want to use doesn't fit your concept.
>>
>>53020580

RE2 - City overrun - cops / guns / bigger things in the shadows
RE Outbreak - Little skills. Reliance on groups and teamwork. One to two zombies = immediate danger
>>53020580
>>53020616
>>53020727
>>53021921

Thank you all, Anons. Hoping to let everyone be a joe-average
>>
>>53021921
RE4's Leon strikes me as a full-fledged 400-point Monster Hunter.
>>
>>53028400
One last thing I forgot to mention: Lite does not have grappling, so you'll need to read up on that. This image has a basic zombie statblock and some of the grappling rules (but not all). It's from After the End 2, if you're interested.

>>53028460
Probably closer to MH than Action, yeah. I'm not sure on the rest, though. I've only played 3 and 4.
>>
File: weirdoors.jpg (64KB, 237x316px) Image search: [Google]
weirdoors.jpg
64KB, 237x316px
Is there stats for something like this? It's basically a gun stabilized by steadicam, one of the guys wants something like this for machine gunner.
>>
>>53029056
>something like this for machine gunner
So he wants an M56 Smartgun?
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.