[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In most campaigns across most editions of D&D, death becomes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Forgot to Check for Traps.jpg (67KB, 800x667px) Image search: [Google]
Forgot to Check for Traps.jpg
67KB, 800x667px
In most campaigns across most editions of D&D, death becomes cheaper at higher levels. Resurrection, magical cloning, and all sorts of other ways to cheat death become more and more readily available the longer a campaign progresses. Sometimes, it feels like death stops being an obstacle at high enough level.

What's the highest level you've permanently lost a character at? How did it happen?
>>
>>52906021
13th-level. He refused to be resurrected because That DM.
>>
>>52906021
13th as well. Fell into lava, no way of resurrecting him.
>>
15th level. After a campaign that has met once a week for almost a year slowly began to degrade into a slog of once maybe ever two weeks thanks to a bunch of irl bullshit making half the players resent each other, my character told an NPC claiming that we had to betray our homeland because he said so and was a demigod to go fuck himself and he instantly destroyed my soul without a save

Took that as my cue to bow out.
>>
File: Absolutely disgusting.gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely disgusting.gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>52906021
>Not instantly homebrewing that people die when they are killed and wiping all forms of resurrection magic from existence in your games.
>>
>>52906365
Straight up resurrection is dumb but Clone is a cool spell and I wouldn't ever want to take that away
>>
When I was ten and playing 3.5, we were all around level 11 when we found a genie that said he was going to grant us each a wish. One of the players wished for an immortal invincible hippogriff for a mount, and I wanted to one-up him so I wished to instantly become level 20. The GM was also 10, so he let it happen.

The first player got angry when he realized I had gotten a much better wish than him, and I bragged that now that I was level 20 I was going to save the kingdom all by myself and take all the glory and make bards write stories about how I was smart and he was dumb and wasted his wish.

The third player, who was the first player's brother, wished my character dead forever in response, and it was so. I cried until the GM's mom called my parents and they had to come over early to take me home.
>>
>>52906021
Level 23 and God killed us because the DM barely understood the rules, insisted on rewarding us for no reason, and had a tendency to steal movie plots wholesale.
>>
>>52906021

We just ban all of that stuff so it never becomes an issue.
>>
>>52906505
>Friday night at the local game store.
>>
>>52906021
15th level, got captured by eldritch abominations by fainting due to WIS damage.
Whatever they did to my character before we put him to rest, he didn't want to be rezzed back.
>>
>>52906365
I probably wouldn't wipe out resurrection magic completely, but I would like to make resurrection magic something like the stuff of legend, probably by inventing a property specific to the plane the campaign takes place on:
>Eldritch abominations devour souls not housed in a physical body. The meak gods can only safeguard a handful from this fate.
>A barrier exists between the plane and the multiverse that allows souls to pass on but forbades them from returning without permission from the plane's masters.
>The plane exists within a tapestry of fate, so souls whose threads have run out are unable to affect the plane in any conceivable way unless they alter the tapestry itself through extraordinary means.
>>
I always remove resurrection spells from my games or have them be risky/high cost. If you want to resurrect someone, you better have everything you need for the elaborate ritual and are willing to risk it backfiring, or you're willing to have the person being resurrected be a zombie with half/barely any of the intelligence it had in life. Resurrection costs obviously should vary depending on the setting, but having death become something worthless is one of the most efficient ways to take any tension and immersion away from a campaign.
>>
>>52906365
>>52906386
Funny enough, our DM banned all Resurrection spells because he thought it would take the tension out of the game, only for the wizard to spend the whole game secretly working his way up to being able to pull off the Wish+Clone combo at level 17.

Now we have a pocket dimension of infinite clones and the GM is scrambling to save face and find some way to offset it, but it's dawning on him that there isn't. it's hilarious.
>>
>>52906505
that's brilliant child dickery :p
>>
>>52906807
I feel sorry for your DM.
How do you play for 17 levels with such a bunch of dicks?
>>
>>52906807
I'm sorry, are you talking about the Wish+Clone combo (cast Clone in less time and without material components, pretty neato), or the Wish+Simulacrum combo (SNOW-WIZARDS EVERYWHERE). If it is the latter, your DM could use Mike Mearl's ruling, which would create havoc if the chain of command is ever broken by the death of a simulacrum: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/14/can-a-simulacrum-be-ordered-to-obey-another-party-member/
>>
>>52906021
14. A soul drain effect in Rise of the Runelords, Runeforge.
>>
>>52906505
Kek
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.