[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 42

File: Gnoll.jpg (250KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.jpg
250KB, 1200x1650px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52886118
>>
File: YEENOGHU.jpg (436KB, 1536x1850px) Image search: [Google]
YEENOGHU.jpg
436KB, 1536x1850px
FOR YEENOGHU!
>>
File: kobold dog noses.png (459KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
kobold dog noses.png
459KB, 500x490px
Second for kobold dog noses.
>>
File: 1479482377432.gif (688KB, 664x714px) Image search: [Google]
1479482377432.gif
688KB, 664x714px
>>52894068
>>
What is the most unfair encounter you've thrown at your players?
>>
What's a good, non-generic way to start a campaign off? To make matters worse Or better? I'm doing a homebrew world specifically so the players and I don't have to learn Faerun.
>>
Reposting on the new thread: What are some good spells to use with this? 10th level Arcane Trickster, so only 1st and 2nd level spells.

>Magical Ambush. Starting at 9th level, if you are hidden from a creature when you cast a spell on it, the creature has disadvantage on any saving throw it makes against the spell this turn.

>>52893852
Well since half-orcs can get the Aggressive trait, an orc feat could give them Relentless Endurance and/or Savage Attacks.

On a side note why are orcs so shit? Comparing to half-orc they have Aggressive and Powerful Build, but lose both traits (above) that make half-orcs good and -2 Int to top it off. What if orcs got +3 Str?
>>
File: double (you).gif (909KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
double (you).gif
909KB, 480x270px
Thinking of what to make for a party with a fighter, barbarian, paladin, and cleric. Thinking wizard, sorc, or warlock. Mostly wanting to rain down pain and devastation but also be a bit stylish. Which is best?
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>52894135
A lich disguised as a jester who is insane and talks in rhyme, they don't know he's a lich yet. They were smart and didn't attack since they had little to no resources, even though I know they wanted to so bad, left but it'll be fun to see how they act when they do.
>>
File: YEENOGHU - pre crossfit.png (849KB, 839x715px) Image search: [Google]
YEENOGHU - pre crossfit.png
849KB, 839x715px
>>52894107
Also, Yeenoghu before his unholy gains.
>>
>>52894183
Your party needs some sort of control, because I assume cleric won't be focusing on such spells as hold person.
>>
>>52894107
Looks more like a wingless bat 2bh
>>
>>52894142
All are part of a mercenary company, they got put together due to reorganization.

All traveling with a caravan to where ever when it gets attacked.

Wake up in cells and have to help each other escape where ever it is.
>>
>>52894142
Start them off with a musical number.

>I said non-generic

That's pretty generic for movies, sure. When was the last time you had a campaign that began with singing?
>>
File: 1491344702289.png (5KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491344702289.png
5KB, 266x189px
>All these pfg tier posts already
>>
>>52894142
I just kidnapped the characters and transported them to a whole another world where they need to stick together or die. Strangers in a strange land.
>>
>>52894142
The party are fighting guards on a castle roof top during a thunderstorm.

Leave it to the players to figure out why.
>>
File: 1435181692726.jpg (10KB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
1435181692726.jpg
10KB, 255x191px
>>52894142
You know what I've never seen before as a start to a campaign? A tournament. The player group, having adventured for a few months together, enter into a tournament together to see just who's best, not to mention pad the numbers so that if one of them wins the prize, they can all share in the rewards. It lets players figure out their playstyle, have friendly fights, and introduces the organization/kingdom that holds the tournament.
This will only work if none of the players are shitbags who would try and fight to the death in a friendly tourney, and it may make some players hold grudges, but if they're good players, it will work wonders for group cohesion.
>>
File: double fag.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
double fag.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>52894209
Yeah, I know control is probably more important over damage in this group. I just like the idea of playing a blaster lock. but I guess sorcerer would allow me to both have hard hitting spells and control the battlefield.
>>
>>52893626
Because people seem to be in love with sandbox worlds for 5e.

I'm still planning to fix this.
>>
File: phanaton.gif (55KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
phanaton.gif
55KB, 300x360px
Anons? I wanna convert the Phanaton for use in my homebrew setting: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Phanaton

Just how overpowered is this first draft?

Phanaton
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
Size: Small
Speed: 20 feet, Climb 20 feet
Vision: Normal
Bred for the Treetops: You have a Climb speed of 20 feet and Advantage on Athletics checks made in relation to climbing and jumping.
Forest Ghosts: You have Proficiency in Stealth, and gain Advantage on all Stealth checks made whilst in forest and jungle terrain.
Fangs: When you make an Unarmed Strike, you can choose to bite your opponent. Biting causes your attack, on a hit, to deliver 1d4 Piercing damage. If you have the Martial Arts class feature, your bite attack uses your Martial Arts damage dice instead, although it is still Piercing damage.
Glide: So long as you are not Incapacitated, overburdened, or wearing medium or heavy armor, you can use your Reaction to Glide if you fall or jump off of a high place. Gliding negates all damage you would normally take from falling, and allows you to cover a horizontal distance of 20 feet for every 5 feet you descend.
>>
>>52894214
That could be a fun and different way to portray Yeenoghu and gnolls. Less hyena and more bat-like.

Obviously you'd need to change their pack animals.
>>
>>52894260
Don't fall for the sorcerer meme. You'll be able to do virtually everything the sorcerer can as a wizard, but with more spell variety.
>>
>>52894272
Stop posting this shit.
>>
File: 1488937296889.jpg (329KB, 1167x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1488937296889.jpg
329KB, 1167x1108px
>>52894280
Are sorcerers that weak compared to wizards? Do warlocks provide no battlefield control?
>>
>>52894316
Unfortunately sorcerers got cucked from their original state. Personally I just let sorcerers have access to wizard spell list because in my mind sorcerers just do it, it's a natural talent and state. Where wizard have to study and work to master the arcane but they studied sorcerers to gain this knowledge.
>>
>>52894272
>Hit someone in the face with a greatsword
>Use fangs to make it deal 1d4 piercing damage
>Shoot someone with a blowgun dart
>Use fangs to make it deal 1d4 piercing damage
There's honestly no way to abuse this I feel aside from using it for netfighting (Net attacks dealing damage but also then triggerin sneak attack while doing all the things a net does) but the wording is pretty stupid. Instead they should be natural weapons.

Overall not very powerful at all, needs a slight buff unless you want them to be underdogs.
>>
File: Player Haters.jpg (148KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Player Haters.jpg
148KB, 500x375px
pic related

I want to make a group of NPCs that have gone to great lengths just to be a petty assholes. My first thought was a wizard who became a lich just because someone's great-great-great-great grandfather scuffed his shoes, so he decided to inconvenience every generation of the man's family for the rest of time.

The goal is not to be directly lethal, just to be an asshole. I'm talking about stuff like spending a lot of time invisible just to cast Thaumaturgy near someone who is trying to sneak around, or casting Wall of Force right in front of someone who is running.

What are the most petty of assholes you can make out of existing monsters? What incredibly petty, childish uses of abilities for the sake of spite can you think of?
>>
>>52894183
>>52894260
>>52894316
Why not a sorlock?

While the only thing a sorcerer really gives that a wizard doesn't tends to be shit like 'twinning haste', what a sorlock has is endless blasting.
>>
>>52894260
>>52894316
Ask your DM if you can use the Spell Point variant for sorcerer, then it gets much better. Still not as versatile as a wizard, nothing is, but you'll have a much finer control over your resources.
>>
>Playing a Half-Elf Rogue, level 2
>Due to bad luck, bad timing, and intervention from Orcish gods, ended up becoming a half-orc
I was planning on going swashbuckler, but what's the best path for a Half-Orc rogue?
>>
>>52894400
How did you get GREEN'd, anon?
>>
Where can I find resources detailing game mechanics during the playtest? I want to see stuff like all fighters having superiority dice or casters being consolidated into one class
>>
>>52894263
It's fucking cancer. I'm sick of little dinky random bullshit for quests. Let me delve nigger. This game is called DUNGEONS and DRAGONS and so far every game I've played has been extremely light on both.
>>
>>52894425
The Mega has all the playtest packets in it. You'll have to sort through it yourself though.
>>
>>52894434
Thanks anon
>>
>>52894400
Keep going Swashbuckler and become a Rogue that strolls up to people and stabs them REALLY hard in the guy for Sneak Attack damage. Use Strength as your attack stat, for bonus points.
>>
>>52894453
>in the guy
I meant the gut, but that works, too, to be honest.
>>
>>52894414
It was pretty fast. Interrupted a ritual to save another party member, killed a bunch of orcs to get through, fumbled some dice rolls, got grappled and thrown into the circle, then I rolled poorly on the saves as well.
>>
>>52894400
Barbarian/Rogue so that you can Reckless Attack to proc Sneak Attack at will. Does require Strength, though.
>>
>>52894494
that sounds like shit since he can just use the buddy system whenever he wants in order to just get sneak attack.
>>
>>52894365
>>52894383
Thinking on these. What about a bard as well?
>>
>>52894400
Go into mastermind instead. Remember that you only need to use finese weapons to sneak attack, and you don't need to actually use dexterity. Then multiclass into battlemaster.
Become Warlord Silverleaf - a half-orc half-elf extraordinare.
>>
>>52894351
A bard who is a genius at pettiness. He has brought entire kingdoms to their knees with a whisper. His every word is a casting of vicious mockery. Maybe a cackling Gnoll?

Maybe some kind bigger monster. Something that is just your typical gym lunk, taunting the fighter with his superior size and mass. Basically a less homoerotic /fit/
>>
>>52894527
Bards are fucking awesome and are great at support and control. You can't go wrong with a bard. Just don't expect to be doing damage.
>>
Campaign idea:

All the PCs have died and have gone to the limbo for adventurers, Dungeonworld. How deep they progress decides their fate; those who die on the first few levels go to a bad afterlife or get reincarnated as something shitty like a bug. Those who get to the end get the best afterlife or leave the reincarnation cycle and ascend. To make things interesting, there are people who have decided not to pass on and have made Dungeonworld their second life. They might hunt/scavenge other adventurers for their gear, which they sell in the hub of Dungeonworld, which is accessible every 10 levels of the dungeon. You have to restart if you go to the hub, but any keys/artifacts used to progress to the lower levels is kept, allowing you to skip large portions of dungeons in repeat visits.

What do you think?
>>
What are the best druid spells for dragon fighting of 6th level and under /5eg/?
>>
>>52894351
>great-great-great-great grandfather scuffed his shoes, so he decided to inconvenience every generation of the man's family for the rest of time.
Let's assume every generation has only 3 kids.
That's already 3^6= 729 people for those great-great-great-great-grandchildren. He has time to harass 1 for 12 hours every year or so.
Or are you going to do something like "direct first son/child descendants only"
>>
>>52894142
>1
They were all kidnapped for a daemon ritual.

>2
All are from a different dojo, in a friendly contest to show each other's skills off.

>3
All part of some kind of convention or meeting, something happens.

>4
They are in the middle of a scene in the adventure. A trap just sprung, their wagon just crashed into the river to avoid a giant dire bat.

>5
They all meet at a crossroad and there's a sort of stand off situation, before anybody makes a (combat) move, you get attacked.
>>
>>52894604
Like a 6th level druid or 6th level spells?
>>
>>52894641
6th level spells
>>
>>52894603
I'd play it
>>
>>52894431
Pretty much. I've played at least 5 games even if most of them didn't last long and I've not really played through any proper dungeons-
Actually, my very first 5e game had a dungeon in it and honestly while nobody knew what the fuck was going on that was probably the most fun I've had. Probably helps that everything's more fun when you're blind.
>>
In a game where variant humans and all UA are allowed, how do I become the king of opportunity attacks?

I'm thinking of going for an eldritch knight fighter to use war caster booming blade along with tunnel fighter, sentinel and great weapon fighter
>>
>>52894657
Primordial ward for defense, Conjure Elemental, conjure woodland beings, Call lightning,
>>
File: GoblinSkullCollector.jpg (178KB, 946x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GoblinSkullCollector.jpg
178KB, 946x1000px
What Racial feats would you design for your Goblin players, in light of the new UA?
>>
>>52894701
Flexible, easily impregnable, and shortstack feats.
>>
>>52894629
Nowhere does it say they have to all be inconvenienced at once, and nowhere does it say they can only be inconvenienced one at a time. Don't turn this into a spergout.

>>52894574
I'm aiming more for ideas of using incredibly powerful things for spiteful, petty reasons. Like a white dragon using his breath attack to freeze the rain on a bridge just so a farmer slips while trying to cross it.
>>
>>52894657
Assuming these are generic fire-breathing dragons, investiture of flame gives fire immunity, a big plus.
>>
>>52894701
Give them Squat Nimbleness.
>>
>>52893751
>>52893245
>>52893557
>>52886233
Aasimar

>Angel of Death
>+1 Cha
>Whenever you heal a target other than yourself, heal yourself for half the same amount.

>Angel of the Tower
>+1 Str
>Add +2 to all necrotic or radiant damage rolls

>Angel of the Hanged Man
>+1 Con
>You spread hope in sacrifice. Once per short rest you may may elect, at the start of your turn until the start of your next turn, to give your allies within 30 feet resistance to all damage at the cost of making yourself vulnerable to all damage.

>Angel of the Star
>+1 Wis
>Allies within 15 feet have advantage on saving throws against fear.

>Angel of the Chariot
>+1 Cha or Wis
>Whenever you would force a target to make a Wisdom saving throw, once per long rest, you may force them to have disadvantage on that roll.

>Angel of Justice
>+1 Str or Dex
>Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll you may add +1 to damage rolls for that attack roll.
>>
Gonna run a game for a bunch of nerds who haven't played DnD before and one of them wants to play ranger. Is the UA Revised Ranger alright to use?
>>
Ive heard that rise of tiamat is roleplay heavy. Is that true
>>
>>52894723
I mean, the first one is easy.
>+1 Dex
>Advantage on dexterity (acrobatics) checks
The other ones, not so much.
>>
>>52894798
Yes.
>>
>>52894798
That's the only ranger you should use.
>>
>>52894811
2nd can easily be +1 con, and some other stuff that's not really important. Shortstack can easily be +1 cha and expertise on persuasion checks.
>>
>>52894811
>Advantage
>On ALL checks
Advantage is a situational thing, anon. You only have it in some conditions, not ALL of one check.
i.e. 'You have advantage on stealth when in a forest' or 'You have advantage for 4 hours after using this spell' rather than 'You have advantage on stealth'.
>>
I've never played a wizard before but I'm about to play a Conjuration wizard with the Keen Mind feat at level 2 soon. What would be some good spells to take? I want to play him as a flamboyant asshole with a superiority complex, especially in regards to any non-caster players.
>>
>>52894822
>>52894824
Sounds fair. When I heard that he wanted to play ranger, I basically already decided to use it. Just wasn't sure if it was still horrific or if it was wayyy too much. I remember there being a ranger UA where you had 2d6 hp/lvl, was that a beta of the UA?
>>
>>52894882
Any spells that allow you to summon and control creatures of course.
>>
>>52894068
>Human Determination
>"You are filled with a determination..."

Do I even need to say it?
>>
>>52894798
If you want him to hate DnD and never want to play it again use the PHB ranger, if not the UA is a fix to the useless class they published.

Also if I remember right they even AL lets people use the UA ranger.
>>
>>52894882
>I remember there being a ranger UA where you had 2d6 hp/lvl, was that a beta of the UA?

That was a scrapped design that only had 5 levels. The one called Revised Ranger is what you want.
>>
File: Blue Dragon Mask.jpg (201KB, 900x605px) Image search: [Google]
Blue Dragon Mask.jpg
201KB, 900x605px
>>52894657
Heroes' Feast, obviously. The night before, if you can.

>>52894431
>>52894676
>This game is called DUNGEONS and DRAGONS and so far every game I've played has been extremely light on both.
>tfw I'm running Tyranny of Dragons and it has plenty of both
I feel for you, anons. Anyone interested in playing online some adventures from Tales of the Yawning Portal? Only if you haven't read the book, naturally.
>>
>>52894873
Doesn't matter, the party will likely just kill you in your sleep or tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>52894891
>>52894873
>>
>>52894902
>>52873172
>>
>>52894845
>I haven't read the rules, but I'll still spout bullshit as if I had, hoping to people fall for it
fuck off
>>
>>52894902
My thoughts exactly.

A lot of these feels like meme shit. Like the always strike first elf feat.
>>
>>52894798
Use Revised Ranger.

Beware if they want to be Beast Conclave as that archetype is still wonky even in RR.
>>
File: 1490986360785.jpg (15KB, 560x448px) Image search: [Google]
1490986360785.jpg
15KB, 560x448px
>>52894936
>Players finally getting up in levels
>Time for dragons to start fucking up the world and having to go in dungeons to find the equipment needed to stop them
>>
So I'm trying to come up with the most Halloween-ish character that I can. I'm thinking about going with a Hobgoblin Necromancer that wields a glaive re-flavored as a scythe and is trying to befriend a giant bat mount. Any tips for maximizing my spookiness?
>>
>>52894938
Why the fuck would they do that? I don't plan to work against the party or anything, just be a little smug and looking down on martials. How do your games ever make it past the first session if that would be enough to cause party infighting?
>>
>>52894936
Id rather use that money on awakenig trees
>>
File: IMG_7122.jpg (87KB, 700x297px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7122.jpg
87KB, 700x297px
>>52894256
Good idea
>make the Bard give introductions
>>
>>52895018
Because when you think you're being smug, you're just being an annoying cunt IC and OOC that no one wants to deal with. I see no reason why a group wouldn't boot your character.
>>
>>52894809
Hm. I guess it can be? There are some social missions and a council that the players are a part of. It still has lots of combat, though.
>>
>>52895009
He needs a mask-wearing bugbear companion wielding a machete who is seemingly impervious to pain and cannot be deterred from his path.
>>
>>52894954
I'm sorry you're too lazy to read the rules, anon.

Go through the PHB and any UA and see how many instances of 'You have advantage on all checks forever' you can find, then report back to me.

It's an unwritten rule, because advantage isn't there to give you a solid permanent buff to a skill. That's what expertise is for.
>>
File: 1443241925087.gif (167KB, 650x813px) Image search: [Google]
1443241925087.gif
167KB, 650x813px
How to I convince someone who has zero creativity and drive to make and care about a character (as well as read the rulebooks). I'm starting a campaign in a few weeks have two really enthusiastic players who are totally ready, one or two that need to sit down and make characters but otherwise have good tabletop behavior, one total lost cause who will not read the rulebooks and has remade something like 8 characters in a previous campaign cause he doesn't know what roleplaying is, and one who randomly rolls every character but is always left with a ridiculous hodgepodge and he always ends up complaining that D&D is zero fun. As you can guess, I need help with the latter two.

I guess I'm just asking how people get away from the videogame mentality and put them in a tabletop one. The uncreative guy plays World of Warcraft like 18 hours a day so it's the worst with him, but whenever I was a fellow player I always really disliked his approach and need to try and be a little more objective as a first-time DM.
>>
>>52895018
Caster or not I'd want your ass booted if you were going to constantly fellate yourself.
>>
>>52894999
I mean im preping for rise of tiamat and going into it from storm king's thunder. Our party has already killed one ancient dragon lets go for the rest
>>
File: 1540638-cherub_super.jpg (985KB, 924x1278px) Image search: [Google]
1540638-cherub_super.jpg
985KB, 924x1278px
>>52894769
Ooh, I really like going for the tarot theme for the Aasimar.
>>
File: 1486593003419.jpg (63KB, 497x388px) Image search: [Google]
1486593003419.jpg
63KB, 497x388px
>>52895018
Because what you think is "cute" or "smug" is just being an asshole out to have fun at the other players expenses. Being a low level wizard this is the stupidest plan I've ever heard.

The only way to make it work is in a campaign where you all are starting at a higher level and have already traveled together. So you might be an annoying prick but you've actually helped the group and are friends with them anime style.
>>
>>52894256
Just make backwards non-lethal damage rules and tell them about it, then any asshole characters that actually use lethal damage get disqualified because the ref saw you thumb other dude in the eye or whatever, and you can punish the assholes without it ever getting too serious like a PC death.
And if any of them do somehow kill eachother, put them in jail, fine them, shit like that, make them have to beg the rest of the party to let them out.
>>
>>52894699
At level 1 you should get the Blade Mastery Feat for advantage on opportunity attacks, that will make you good at it. You should also be a Devotion Paladin and Turn the Unholy when you are surrounded by enemies.
>>
>>52895018
>How do your games ever make it past the first session if that would be enough to cause party infighting?

To directly address this it wouldn't be the first time someone rerolled a character in my group because someone made an asshat that pissed others off.

If my character doesn't like some random jack off looking down on him there could easily be problems and from the sound of it you don't know how to actually pull it off so it would work and not cause conflict.
>>
>>52894769
Bugbear

>Boogieman
>+1 Dex or Cha
>Gain expertise in stealth and proficiency in intimidation. Gain expertise in intimidation if you are already proficient.

>Lazy bug
>+1 Con
>Recover all your hit die on a long rest.
>In addition, you keep your passive perception, with disadvantage, when sleeping.

>Combo Attack
>+1 Str or Dex
>Your Surprise Attack racial trait can now be used when an enemy of your target is within 5 feet your target.
>>
>>52895201
>If my character doesn't like some random jack off looking down on him there could easily be problems and from the sound of it you don't know how to actually pull it off so it would work and not cause conflict.

>says the boy doesn't know how to play a character whos a little bit of an asshole
>by the sound of it his characters first reaction to someone being smug to him is to kill him in his sleep even though hes in your party

pot, meet kettle
>>
>>52895111
Not them, but no reason they couldn't already have some level of relationship and generally you can suffuse the cockiness with times where they kind of 'get what they deserve' where the player let it happen.
I mean, the character might show themselves as a wimp in front of powerful monsters and hide behind the martials, cowering, though they'd still do their wizardey thing, perhaps buffing the martials or whatever.

Of course, I wouldn't say you're wrong because it's quite possible Anon planned to just do a smug guy who never has his flaws or doesn't display them properly.
>>
With the tiefling trait from yesterday's UA, could you become a pin-cushion and spec everything towards succeeding grapples, then on each of your turns maintain the grapple and have your "thorns" damage gradually kill them?
>>
>>52895248
Passive perception isn't rolled, it's a static number. Maybe ignore proficiency bonus/half proficiency bonus while sleeping?
>>
How does wall of stone work /5eg/?
>>
>>52895248
Don't you already keep your passive perception while sleeping?
Usually though it'd just be heavily nerfed such as as said, disadvantage for -5 or so.

>>52895267
It's an attack that deals 1d6 damage with no additional modifier.
You're not going to be grappling an enemy for more than 2 or 3 rounds.

Really, it's not there to enable grappling, it's there to go on top of grappling, and tieflings aren't exactly +Strength for grappling in the first place.
>>
>>52895252
>Just meets a group of people
>I know my character would be a condescending ass that'll surely not cause problems.

My character isn't the one being a prick to random strangers while being squishy as fuck. Also it'd start as conflict and easily could lead to death depending on the characters made. More likely people would just tell your character to fuck off because you're just being a cunt.
>>
>>52895302
From JC I think the RAI is 'Disadvantage is -5, advantage is +5' for the purpose of passive stats.
>>
>>52895255
That would be one way to handle it but knowing the spergs on here it wouldn't come across that way at all.
>>
>>52895201
>Killing a character for being a bit of an asshole
>This somehow doesn't make you a bigger asshole
So should the rest of the party kill you next? I plan to do my part and will not work against the party in any way. I will also probably be put in place as soon as we face any challenge that I can't handle (like pushing open a stone door or anything simple like that). I fail to see how any of this would warrant killing a character.

But we're wandering off. What would be some good spells to start with?
>>
>>52894431
>tfw I'm putting my party through a straight up labyrinth and every room has a puzzle or trap, and is populated by wandering monsters
>includes secret rooms, NPC trap fodder, choices of paths, and optional fights that will kick their ass (and NPC summons to possibly help out, but I'll tone it down of they don't summon)
>tfw their questgiver is a dragon with a supercomputer gearing them up to fight a wizard cult trying to awaken a GOO
>tfw once they get on a spaceship they're gonna fight the shit out of some dragons
Feels like I'm doing it right
>>
>>52895361
The same thing can apply to evil characters, really.

As long as the character has a reason to actually be with the party (I mean, wizards aren't common and they might have some useful functions they expect to need, such as having to find some hard to find small magical items and needing detect magic).

The problem all the anons are getting about this other anon are they're assuming he can't play a smug bitch character properly. It's entirely possible to do if you use their flaws correctly (So other people will clearly one-up him at times) and there's character development where he'll eventually stop being quite as much of a smug ass after a few adventures.

You shouldn't say 'Don't play a smug character' but you should say 'Don't play a smug character because you probably won't do it right and you'll just come off as annoying'. Which is what some of the posts actually kind of convey, but eh.
>>
sup /tg
i'm currently reading through Hoard of the Dragon Queen and ran into a following quote:
>A statue of Angharradh, an obscure elven deity representing spring, stands among statues of gods
>representing the other seasons, namely Auril (winter), Chauntea (summer), and Mielikki (autumn).
>Angharradh’s statue has been defaced by having her face and hands chopped away.
>A dead squirrel has been left at Auril’s feet.
>The statue of Mielikki is not only freshly painted but also has a set of small cups, bits of bread, and other small sacrifices at its feet

Wtf? why one of gods is defaced but other is worshipped?
Is there a piece of lore i'm missing?
Or it's just "because of reasons, up to dm"?
>>
>Psychic Domination (7 psi; conc., 1 min.). As an action, you target one creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw, or you choose the creature’s actions and movement on its turns until your concentration ends. At the end of each of its turns, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. A creature is immune to this ability if it is immune to being charmed.
So you get to make the target do whatever you want like a puppet. Does that mean that you can't force them to say what you want since it's not an action?
>>
>>52895429
Can you be my DM please?
>>
>>52895427
They'd probably be grateful.
>>
>>52895427
>Still thumping on the killing character
>Ignoring the more likely

Man it's like arguing with anyone about politics they pick the one thing they can talk about and ignore the rest. I'll spell it out for you once again, depending on the character being killed is a completely possible thing, will it lead to ramifications? Most likely but if that's how someone plays their character it could happen.

Now pay attention carefully the most likely scenario is people will tell you to fuck off and reroll a character anyway before getting to any of what you said.
>>
I want to send my players to a dangerous place where people are not meant to be and invoke feelings similar to what Sam and Frodo went through in Mordor
How would I go about doing this other than just being a huge dick to my players and telling them they should feel bad and give up?
>>
http://dragonfirethegame.com

New deckbuilding game by Catalyst Game Labs.
>>
>Doing one shot
>level 6
>Set out to make the most "optimized" level 6 character possible
>Protector Aasimar, +1 to Wis, + 2 to Cha, fuck fisical stats cuz
>Moon Druid
>Maui-like character, envoy of the primordial gods of the jungle

>First battle
>Wildshape into Allosaurus
>Conjure another Allosarurus
>Clever Girl meme all the way

>We have to rush to save the castle
>Allosaurus has speed of 60
>Team rides double Allosaurus all the way, gets there in half the time

>Second battle
>DM dumps 30 orcs or something
>Team members dropping down all the time
>Team looks at me like "are you going to drop out of that shit and heal us or what?"
>Healing Hands in Allossaurus form, pick them back from unconscious whenever

>DM getting tired of my memes
>Drops a white dragon on our ass, cold breath breaks me out of wild shape
>My turn next, call lightning, Allosaurus again like it aint no thing

>Party is scrambling
>No one's got the range
>Every one running around trying to think of something before they run out of healing potion
>My turn again
>"What do you want to do"
>"As an Allosaurus, I would like Radiant Soul, and fly with my spectral wings into my storm cloud for cover while I keep hitting it with lightning"

Good times.
>>
>>52895413
I'd give it only a 65% chance of going wrong.

>>52895429
As long as you do secrets and traps and puzzles properly. It's quite easy to turn them into shit like 'roll perception in every room to look for traps' or 'There's one small clue that leads to a secret room so you'll probably never find it' or just really simple puzzles or hard puzzles without suitable clues that stops a player from progressing.
>>
>>52895092
Make enough characters for everybody. Let them pick which one they want. Let them pick the backgrounds and work with them to create some world lore that they fit into. Immediately bring that shit into play. Ex:
>cant-pay-attention player wants to be a pirate
>take sailor, switch some stuff around to make it more assholey and homosexual
>start it off on a pirate ship that's carrying the rest of the party to wherever they're going, and the NPCS interact with cant-pay-attention

Then cant-build-character already has a built character. Have some prebuilt that are basically identical to the ones the competent players have so they can have the background thet wanted and not get shafted for actually being prepared.
>>
>>52895543
Fuck moon druids.

But, hey, I'd say on a level from 'Not optimized' to 'optimized' that's a 10, providing you have the good druid spells in there too.
>>
>>52895457
Understandable and that's my main point, unfortunately alot of people here "you can't" then immediately do it and fuck it all up anyway because they didn't take it as a warning to prepare better.

The message could be clearer but remains the same.
>>
>>52894068
>elven accuracy
Holy fuck. On every roll with advantage!
And half orcs get double damage, but only on one attack per short rest...
Obviously balanced on the assumption that with advantage you HIT, no questions asked.
>>
Should I stop DMing for this group? Roll20, IRL friends

>always late, postpones hour or two, then late
>only one person shows up on time
>move dates and cut one person because of rescheduling
>still 30+ late
>one does homework during session
>another googles my puzzles and the first part of our campaign, lmop
>all of them are mostly observers except one player
>session in 3 hours
>"can we post pone this session? I have finals tomorrow"

I'm just getting really pissed off
>>
What would you say is the hardest boss fight possible in 5e?

I was debating with my group that orcus could potentially be way harder than a tarrasque, and that tiamat would also dunk it. But for me, a storm giant quintessence or a really pissed of ancient gold dragon would also be a real epic, or an entire illithid hive, with a nautiloid and grafted thralls for funsies.
>>
>>52895092
Just give up. If they don't get the appeal, it'll take too long agonizing them to make them get it.

>>52895622
Yeah, but there are times you don't hit and there are times you don't crit and you could potentially hit or crit with another die.
Honestly, elven accuracy is a little ridiculous.
>>
>>52895483
If my group wasn't a friend group but was instead at a shop or online randos, I would.
>>52895544
I like to think I am. I like to construct my traps, so there's actual mechanisms that run through the structure with multiple ways to find and interact with each one. My puzzles can also usually be brute-forced, but with not-as-desirable results. My players like to smash, and their characters are all fucking idiots. They somehow managed to be going through the maze background and it's hilarious.
>>
>>52895591
>Fuck moon druids.
No argument from me there
>the good druid spells in there too.

I picked Call Lightning, Conjure Animals, Healing Words and Cure wounds, and the rest was basically wind and sea spells, because I actually did want to use a Polynesian demigod Maui concept.
>>
>>52895626
Probably, unless they beg you back.

You'd hope people can give a warning more than 3 hours in advance. However, at least 'Postpone the session' instead of 'Go without me this session' is good, considering it suggests they actually want to play.
>>
>>52895626
If everyone's either busy or uninterested, but they're your IRL friends, just suspend the game until everyone can put their shit together and show up on time
>>
>>52895626
I had something similar happen to me. One player just didn't show online for 2 hours before thinking to tell me he wasn't making it. I eventually decided I wasn't going to schedule a new session until one of my players asked me to. It's been two months.
>>
>>52895665
My first DM cancelled the session unless everyone showed up, so now whenever I think I'm going to be late I tell the DM they can play without me. Not because I'm uninterested but because I don't want to drag everyone else down
>>
>>52895308
It pretty much makes these thin or thick walls that you organize however you wish. The most effective use of it is a pillbox against enemies. Give them some battlements which the rules say you can do, and rain hell on enemies, just make sure you don't have any wizards who can fireball you all in there.

Could also trap stuff for a while. A 6 inch thick wall takes 180 damage to punch through, while a 3 inch thick has 90 damage. It's good, better to defend yourself then try to use offensively.
>>
>>52895692
I mean, you can want people to go on without you and still want to play but if you want the session postponed then you're either the biggest cunt this side of the planet or you want to play.
>>
>>52895467
Probably can
>>
>>52895091
Blessing of the trickster(cleric), Foresight 9th level spell, supreme sneak (rogue, that "limitation" is outright pointless, since we are talking about stealth here).

Probably forgot something, and this is purely from the PHB, I am not familiar enough with UA stuff in the first place.
>>
>>52895521
For every two steps they take forward have one step back, success is not meet without sacrifice and loss should be a daily occurance.
>>
>>52895634
100 hobgoblins with pack tactics will kill any party. May be able to do it with 50, but meteor swarm can probably wipe them up, so 100 to be safe.
>>
>>52895827
>Blessing of the trickster
While close and probably the closest thing I can think of and you can spam it on yourself, it still has the condition that you have to have it used on you. It's different to 'you always have advantage on stealth' because it has that condition where you can't be entirely sure you'll have it. Heck, someone could even use a spell such as suggestion 'You shall use your blessing of the trickster only to help your friends who need it more' which prevents you using it from yourself. You might be unconscious, in which case you can't get advantage, but then who rolls stealth while unconscious anyway? The next closest thing aside from this I can think of is a level 20 barbarian using infinite rages for advantage on strength checks but that still has conditions.
>Foresight
Again, has the condition you have it cast on you. It can be dispelled, or you might use a different level 9 spell, or whatever.
>Supreme sneak
Has the condition that you move no more than half your speed.
>>
>>52895626
You should leave if you aren't having fun, you are doing double the amount of work at least as the players, if they aren't taking your game seriously then it's ok.

Tell them you are getting busy with stuff and just start a new roll20 game with randos.

You could invite the one guy who actually plays, but you would have to roll a wisdom saving throw to avoid drama if it gets out.
>>
>>52895870
All you need is to be able to fly
>>
>>52895899
>because it has that condition where you can't be entirely sure you'll have it
Bullshit, you can just choose to have it if you ever need it. You could have it running from you wake up until you go to bed.

That's not a condition.

>has to move at half speed
Sure, but as I said, this is stealth, so your movement speed literally doesnt matter.
>>
>>52895916
100 arrows plus concentration checks make that a non issue. Dragon Sorcerers, Aasimars or Aaracokra can do that, but then still 100 attack rolls will get you in 2-3 turns.
>>
>>52895465
>Or it's just "because of reasons, up to dm"?
Pretty much. Also take into consideration that the most influential sector of the cult in Parnast is probably the white one, as evidenced by Talis the White and Glazhael the Cloudchaser. So I guess they hate spring because it's the end of winter or some shit like that?
>>
>>52895622
An elf barbarogue with that feat would be pretty fucking rad. Reckless sneak attacks all day long, with a decent chance of critting and doubling your dice. You'd be Str-based with a race thar gets no Str bonus, but who gives a shit about that when you have super-advantage?
>>
>>52895981
>implying im not flying out of range with shield as dragon sorcerer
>>
>>52895952
Blessing of the trickster takes an action. Unless your DM allows you to fight while you're asleep and take things like the 'attack' action while asleep or cast spells, no, you cannot keep it running all the way through the night.

You cannot have it used on someone else and you must have it used on yourself within the last hour, that's easily a condition.

>Your movement speed literally doesn't matter
There are plenty of times it could matter, whether you're travelling with a ranger or whether you have to catch up with the party while not alerting to everybody you're there, or whether you decided to hide behind a pillar and use the 'hide' action.
Sure, it's almost effectively always-on advantage, but it isn't always-on advantage unless you have a god that has cursed you to instantly die if you move more than half your speed and even then you could still move more than half your speed.
>>
File: medium.jpg (63KB, 667x600px) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
63KB, 667x600px
What crazy shit should I be using Unseen Servant to do? It makes a great distraction, supplements invisibility shenanigans, and even plows traps when I'm not rolling too hot. Feels like I could be doing more though.
>>
>>52896082
>>52896082
Give yourself a handy.
>>
>>52895521
>>52895832
If you wanna go cold and empty and lonely, that's gonna be a lot of narration on your part. And you may be good at narration, but chances are your players aren't gonna care.

The reason going through mordor was cold and lonely and terrible, was because in the middle there was an unfathomable number of baddies and they were going through the shitlands to avoid them. If you want that element, they way to keep the players engaged is for them to interact with or narrowly avoid patrols, enemies moving through logistics, etc etc.

If you want to get the dnd equivalent of constant shitty conditions, what you want to do is just constantly chip away at their resources. Every corner they turn has a group of weak shitty enemies, that has no point except to steal a few hit points or a spell slot or two. Gates require blood to open, so your barb is taking another 1d4 damage, just because. A bad looking statue causes all their water to turn to dust by looking at it. Another gate needs antimagic cast on it to open. More crusty gerblins make the wizard fireball them out of frustration and use a 3rd level slot. Environmental effects make every single check have disadvantage. Poisonous, difficult terrain. Rocks falling because fuck you, take 1d8. Every time they try to rest, you roll some fucking dice and unless they get a twenty they get bothered by some asshole critters. They are gonna be miserable, hate this place, hate the monsters, hate you.
>>
>>52894256
So, a Tourney idea for level 1, first session. All fights are done with blunted weapons, so non-lethal. Magic users are allowed, but watched closely if they kill. Medicine is standing by for the injured.

Single elimination, one-on-one with 16 participants. For a party of four there will be: 7 CR 1/8, 3 CR 1/4, and 2 CR 1/2 in the tourney. Small town, so they have a shot at winning or facing each other in the finals.

The seeding is done by a quick "physical". The PCs make three rolls: an attack roll, Athletics or Acrobatics, and a Con Save against DC 10. 3 successes (1-4 seeds), 2 successes (5-8), etc. The foes fill out the rest of the seeds in order of their CR.

Single Elimination tournament, a bronze medal match, prizes for those who medal.

The tournament lasts a week in game, so the PCs can roll for downtime in between matches. At the end, they get noticed by a quest giver.
>>
>>52896040
Good luck killing all the hobgoblins from beyond 150 feet away, unless you are some warlock eldritch blast machine but you can move 30 and they can dash for 60.
>>
>>52896054
>Unless your DM allows you to fight while you're asleep and take things like the 'attack' action while asleep or cast spells, no, you cannot keep it running all the way through the night
Who said anything about being asleep, and having it run through the night?

You dont sneak while asleep.

But alright, you are just being a pedantic idiot grasping at straws. Good day to you sir.
>>
>>52896115
Spell sniper + the long range spell metamagic
>>
>>52896108
Have some rounds where they fight animals. They can get real weapons and can kill, but maybe give them something they're not proficient with. Towards the end do some team up rounds, 2 party members vs 2 npcs. At the end maybe get the whole party in there vs a team of NPCs. Unless I'm misunderstanding and the whole thing is pvp
>>
>>52896132
There will always be more hobgoblins than sorcery points. That's just a fact of life.
>>
>>52895870
I meant more of a coherent boss fight, a single big monster with lair actions and all the appropriate minions for it. a hundred of pretty much anything could destroy any coherent party.
>>
What are some good spells to take advantage of Magic Ambush on an Arcane Trickster? Hold Person is a given. This is an NPC who might fight the party.
>>
File: Good shit milf.jpg (104KB, 701x907px) Image search: [Google]
Good shit milf.jpg
104KB, 701x907px
>>52896222
>Using a character with class levels to fight PCs
>>
>>52896181
IF this is supposedly thr hardest why couldnt the sorcerer cast meteor searm once. Take out half of them
>>
>>52896174
I was thinking about tossing in some oddball foes.

Like a giant crab, named COUS on the bracket. And a Stench Kow.
>>
>>52896207
The Empyeran is pretty good, highest CR in the book other than Tarrasque. Will just destroy shit.

Plus it has pass without trace, it can sneak up on the party.
>>
File: image.jpg (616KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
616KB, 2048x1365px
Eldrich Knight: is it ok now that more spells are in the game like the SCAG cantrips? A lot of the bad rap I'm seeing is from when 5e was fresh.

I was thinking of playing one for my next character, is Sorcerer multiclass good for the metamagics or do I just not bother?
>>
File: 1480652844833.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
1480652844833.gif
2MB, 330x166px
>>52896093
I like it
>>
>>52896238
Fought a deugar wizard and a deugar swashbuckler the other day. Can confirm challenging (the wizard washigh enough level to cast polymorph, but dispel magic made that part easy)
>>
>>52896254
Cause then he has the other 50 to deal with, and they all get their turn to fire an arrow, and arrows hurt.

Not even bringing up if they get within melee
>>
>>52896238
Class features, not class levels. This is done on lots of other NPC templates.
>>
>>52896266
Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade make it great.
>>
>>52896300
But youre flying out of range
>>
>>52896266
The way I played them is you either pump or dump Int. Shield and defensive spells are your bread and butter, blur and haste and greater invisibility.

Fly and Arrows are good too. And there is some cheese to be had with Weapon Bond.
>>
File: manlet.jpg (150KB, 634x699px) Image search: [Google]
manlet.jpg
150KB, 634x699px
>>52896300
How are the hob gobbos gonna shoot at you when you can cast meteor swarm up to a mile away from them?
>>
>>52896319
Arrows have 150 normal and 600 with disadvantage, you'd have to start combat a mile away and then kill he other 50 through other means.
>>
>>52896129
No, I've continued to defend my original point throughout. You've just been trying to justify your original comment likely being afraid of 'losing the argument'.

The original statement is that you never have any always-on ability such as 'You have advantage on stealth checks.'
The only cases you've found are ones that have additional text, such as requiring an action to use and then not always definitely being on you, or requiring that you do something else in order to maintain it.
They could have just written for thieves, 'You have advantage on stealth checks', and that works well with 5e's simplistic objective rather than 'You have advantage on stealth checks but only if you hop, skip and jump' but they didn't.

I can agree there are abilities very much like it and that maybe has a point in saying 'They might as well just give you always-on advantage', but they still decided to word 'Blessing of the Trickster' as only lasting and hour and requiring an action rather than saying 'You always have advantage on stealth checks. However, you may use your action to transfer this advantage for one hour to another creature'... But it doesn't, and it's more complicated because the DM has to ask you if you've cast it on yourself, or start assuming you have. And that's still barely a condition anyway.
And, let's be honest, not everybody casts a one hour spell on themselves for every waking day of their life, much like with faggots who cast bladeward all day long.
>>
>>52896089
>implying the Bard would have to do it himself

Besides, it's formless and thoughtless. Conjure Animals is a far better solution for that route.
>>
>>52896238

The exact ratio of NPC "levels" to CR is variable but yes you can throw an Archmage at a group of PCs it's just that the effective CR is roughly 2/3rd of the effective casting level.
>>
>>52896222
Help please?
>>
>>52896357
Thats a piece of cake with idk earthquake or something
>>
File: Df5IN.png (193KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Df5IN.png
193KB, 500x281px
>>52896353
>5 ft 8 in
>>
>>52896367
Oh, and, I guess there's the whole idea that 'advantage' is about being in 'being an advantageous situation' rather than 'Being flat-out better at the skill'.

But, yes, it's probably best I end this here but god, I see people throw around advantage and disadvantage as if it's some sort of expertise in a skill.
>>
So, I'm starting a new adventure and our GM is asking us to start at level 5 and to chose a feat at level 1 as well.

I want to make a character that uses his fists.
I've chosen to play a goliath and chose the feats bar fighter and grappler but I don't know if I should monk or barbarian.
What do you guys think?
>>
>>52896454
Barbarian. Your fists deal 1d4 damage instead of 1d6. You lose out on one extra attack, but you can apply a better modifier for accuracy and damage.
>>
>>52896454
The only time fists are ever useful on anything besides a monk is for grapplers who wear shields or grapple two people at once, because they can only make unarmed strikes in that situation. And even then, it sucks because you can't do things like use sneak attack with them.

Bar fighter sucks, grappler also sucks.

If you want to be a grappler, go barbarogue and you don't really need the feats.
If you want to be a fist guy, use monk.
If you want to do both, you can use a shield-using barbarian and I guess tavern brawler isn't the worst idea ever in that case, using your fists for 1d4+ragedamage+strengthmod after grappling someone, but the grappler feat still sucks ass.

Or, you can suck up being weaker and play a grappler monk or a always-fist barbarian, you can probably still be relevant and have fun.
Or you can ask your DM to give you a personalized feat that's actually decent that allows you to play a fist-using barbarian or a strength monk.
>>
>>52896454
Also, talk with your DM about Suplexing people.

>Grapple
>Lift above head (no action needed RAW)
>They are now 10+ ft above the ground.
>Falling damage of 1d6 /10 ft bludgeoning.
>>
File: g5GhPz0.png (305KB, 446x504px) Image search: [Google]
g5GhPz0.png
305KB, 446x504px
>>52896454
A couple of levels of Barbarian so you don't need armor, then pour the rest into Fighter-Battlemaster for maneuvers. Save tons of gold not using armor or weapons, spend it all getting wasted.
>>
>>52896517
>>52896454
Actually, yeah, this guy again.
Ask your DM if you can sneak attack with your fists, even if it requires one level of monk. If you take a level of monk, don't bother with tavern brawler. And don't bother with grappler.
Take 6 levels of bear barbarian for ridiculous carry capacity and rest of the levels in rogue and do some crazy grappling shit.
>>
File: 1492042856427.jpg (79KB, 446x602px) Image search: [Google]
1492042856427.jpg
79KB, 446x602px
What's a good animal companion for a paladin? Oath of Ancients if it makes a difference.
>>
>>52896587
Hawk or eagle
>>
>>52896586
>carry capacity
But Goliaths already get a bonus to that
>>
>>52896601
Yes, but bear boosts it even more.

You can walk around lifting boulders and use them as improvised weapons.
>>
What enchantment spell or charm/domination ability would it take to make an NPC, who the party knows and is friendly with, attack the party? Is it only Dominate Person?
>>
>>52896454

If it's just for fun then bare knuckle bruiser that grapples and bar fights is okay but it's going to lag behind other martial types in terms of damage.

If this is for SKT it's also going to suck because of the large number of foes that are effectively next to impossible to grapple.
>>
>>52896634
Crown of madness, but do note it's charmed and can't attack you specifically.
>>
>>52896634
You could do it with Friends if it was clever enough and the timing was right. What kind of constraints are you feeling with? Elaborate.
>>
>>52896517
What bugs me is the lack of fist weapons in 5e
No Pata, or push daggers or scissors, etc
>>
>>52896634

Confusion
Dominate
Mcguffin Power

Keep in mind that NPCs and NPC magic doesn't need to follow PC rules. Just have it so some elaborate ritual has twisted the NPCs mind and he/she attacks the party and the party is forced to either kill or subdue.
>>
>>52896665
>>52896634
Oh, also, you could try 'Command: Attack'

If you can convince them that attacking you won't cause them any likely harm, suggestion may work too.
>>
>>52896683
I think the deal is it doesn't actually matter. There's barely any difference between using a weapon and using your fists, yet people make it out to be a big deal, while 5e doesn't want to give people super powered fists unless they're a class specifically built around it because fists aren't really as good as hitting someone with a big metal object.

Granted, it could use some fist-weapons to sate the eternal hunger for 'I want a character who punches shit who isn't a monk or who uses strength'.
>>
>>52896683

It's not difficult to houserule something like cestus into the game.

1d4 + modifier
Bludgeoning
light, finesse, underwater
>>
>>52894272

>OK stats since it's not a blatantly overpowerful combo for any given class
>One skill proficiency
>climb speed and situational advantage for two skills
>1d4 unarmed strikes
>No fall damage with light armor

Honestly it's probably slightly weak. Maybe boost the speed to 25.
>>
Would it be unbalanced if a titan could cast a divine domain's worth of spells at will?
>>
>>52896634
The Rod of Commanding.
>>
>>52895302
>>52895376

Forget RAI.
>http://www.5esrd.com/using-ability-scores/
>Passive Checks
>If the character has advantage on the check, add 5. For disadvantage, subtract 5.
>>
>>52896952
>Raise dead at-will
>modify memory at will
>dominate person at will
If your players are level 20, it wouldn't really be too overpowered, I guess.
>>
>Dragonborn Bards and Tiefling Bards having wrestling matches to commemorate the old wars.pdf
Am I too late? Am I the only one who saw thought that from "Dragon claws best grappler" and "Spiny shells best grappler"?
>>
>>52896305

>BB or GFB
>When you could be Extra Attacking instead

for what purpose
>>
>>52896681
>>52896685
The NPC was captured by the bad guys and now they plan to use him to attract the party to an ambush. In the last thread someone suggested I use a Doppelganger, and that would work REALLY well, but I kinda wanted to have a more dramatic scene with the actual NPC "backstabbing" the party, while giving hints that he's not in his right mind especially because I want to give them the chance to either Dispel the enchantment or have the paladin use his devotion aura to suppress it.

>>52896665
>>52896701
Possible, but I'm looking for a more direct and relatively sustained approach.
>>
>>52897007
Yeah they'd really have to be, but cool.
>>
>>52897067
Modify memory, geas.
>>
>>52896952
For utility stuff, at will is fine. Anything that has combat usage (or healing and resurrection) should have limited castings, usually 3 times per day each spell from 1st-3rd level, and once per day each spell from 4th, 5th and beyond.

Since it is a titan... You could give it 1st-3rd level at will, 4th-6th 3/Day, 7th-9th 1/Day. As long as you don't give unlimited healing and resurrection, should be ok, i.e a 5th-level casting of Cure Wounds or Mass Cure Wounds 3/Day.

Also don't forget to give it Divine Word.
>>
>>52894936
I would definitely be interested in playing Tales. I've got some experience in the original modules but haven't read the reprinting. Roll20 link?
>>
I'm DMing Curse of Strahd now, and my players are still in the Death's House. I want to get them to Castle Ravenloft extremely early. What are some good reasons/excuses to do it?
>>
I just got the chessex battleman which has 1in by 1in squares. We're still a new group so I don't want to splurg for minis just yet, but is there somewhere I can get a bag of blank tokens/counters? I've been cutting pieces of paper and they're damn annoying to use.
>>
>>52897441
There is a pathfinder box that sells tons of stuff like that, they list what they have online. It has a ton of stuff
>>
>>52897434
Strahd shows up and invites them to dinner that night/the next day
>>
>>52897434
If they get Strahd's attention they can be invited to the castle. When they get to the crossroads that turns west to Vallaki, there's a bit about a black carriage waiting there for them that will take them to the castle.

This is all in CoS by the way, not even ideas I'm pulling out of my ass. It's just up to you to decide if they get invited or not and why.
>>
Shield can be weird in certain situations. If someone attacks you from hiding, can you cast shield then? All the spell says is you can cast it when you are hit by an attack, but common sense says if you didn't see the attack coming, how could you react to it?
>>
>>52897674
If you're surprised then you can't use your reaction. If you're not surprised then you can.
>>
>>52897035
Twin bb
Quicken bb
Action surge bb
Haste action bb twin it
>>
>>52895248
Kobolds

>Warren Keeper
>+1 Wis
>Gain advantage on perception when inside small, dark places such as underground. Open space limitation is up to DM discretion, recommended no bigger than 30 ft cube.

>Trap Crafter
>+1 Dex or Int
>Gain proficiency in Sleight of Hand and two tools of your choice. If you already have proficiency in any of the former gain expertise instead.

>For the Greater Good
>+1 Con or Wis
>Fling yourself at an opponent to help your allies.
>As a reaction you can move up to your speed towards an opponent that would move to within 5 feet of an ally. They lose half of their total speed, up to what they have already moved. They keep their action and proc attacks of opportunity if they would continue on their path. You may intercept their path at any point where your movement would intersect theirs.

>Dragon-kin
>+1 Str or Con
>Sprout wings and gain a 30 ft movespeed.
>Gain disadvantage on all social interaction with non-winged kobolds.
>>
>>52897701
Say a rogue or a goblin hides from you mid-combat. Then suddenly, out of nowhere you feel a sharp pain on your back as there is now an arrow sticking out of you. If you didn't saw the attacker, how could you react in time to cast shield?
>>
What are some good ways to subdue a high level wizard as a low level one?
>>
>>52897861
If he hid successfully, you just take the arrow.
>>
>>52897861
In combat hiding only gives advantage but you are considered aware enough not to lose your reaction.

I agree it doesn't always make sense but I guess shield could be classed as an instinctive spell that requires literally no effort to cast. Something that happens nearly naturally when you're about to be hit.
>>
>>52897784
Everytime I want to make a cool gish that uses bb and magic to kick ass I get that sinking feeling in the back of my mind 'the second an antimagic field or silence appears you're literally useless*'

sad times.

*if you're a sorcerer you can avoid the silence by taking Still metamagic.
>>
>>52897936
When that happens you have Counterspell ready or the ability to run out of Silence and Dispel it. If your DM throws something like an Antimagic field at you then there's nothing most spell casters can do.

Also how often does your DM throw a giant fuck you to a character and make them pointless?
>>
New player here. How viable are dex fighters?
>>
>>52897992
very
use heavy crossbow+hand crossbow for last shot, get crossbow expert+sharpshooter and go crazy
>>
Joining a level 11 game.
Party is fighter, sorcerer, cleric and bard. What do I play?
>>
So why doesn't King Hekaton just get someone to cast raise dead on Queen Neri (or some variation of that).

He's got artifacts and ridiculous wealth so it would be a trivial thing. So did someone effectively steal Queen Neri's soul and prevent raise dead (or speak with the dead spells)?

I wonder what King Hekaton would do if you asked to marry one of his daughters as reward for saving his life.
>>
>>52898018
go loremaster wizard and be better than the sorcerer or go theruge wizard and be better than the cleric and the sorcerer
>>
File: 1492578058652.jpg (133KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492578058652.jpg
133KB, 803x1000px
>>52898018
Devotion Paladin, play him old school style if you know how to play lawful good and not lawful stupid
>>
>>52898018
Wizard or mystic.
>>
>>52897875
>>52897916
I think I'd usually be inclined to say you can't cast shield against an attack you didn't see, but I have a wizard/cleric in my party and his AC with Shield gets ridiculous. At the most I could allow it if the target won a contested Perception check against the attacker's Stealth, but only if the target was in bright or dim light (disadvantage on perception if dim) or in darkness if he had darkvision (still at disadvantage).
>>
>>52898018

Honestly I'd Devotion Paladin that shit up. It's a fun class that supplements the Fighter and Cleric a lot and can help handle the high HP foes that show up around those levels.

UA Ranger would also be a fun one.

>in b4 meme builds
>>
>>52898027
She may like the arfterlife.
Or maybe the giant gods aren't as chill with resurrection as are the humanoid ones.
>>
>>52895543
That's pretty stormwind of you
>>
>>52898018
Not wizard, don't be a dick. Be a bro and go rogue or paladin.
>>
>>52898018
You can literally pick any character you'd like. Druid could work
>>
>>52898088

Annam a shit. Motherfucker just likes causing shit for no fucking reason.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me if Annam and Io and Ao are all the same divine being causing shit to rain down on the forgotten realms periodical because he/she/it gets bored.
>>
>>52898044
Faggot/10
>>
>>52898143

At least he didn't suggest le old halfling diviner with the lucky feat for maximum shitposting ability
>>
>>52898143
he asked for an idea faggula, atleast I responded to him versus being a negative nancy
>>
Is there anyway of doing a good dex melee cleric without going war domain or weaponmaster feat?

Having dagger be the only finesse weapon available to regular clerics is kind of lame.

Wood Elf Cleric with short sword is a possibility it just seems like there should be a way to do it with humans and halflings
>>
>>52897784

>EK is good because Sorcerer has things
>>
>>52898249
Death.
>>
>>52898205
I did respond with the first suggestion of devotion paladin, he asked for an idea not how to be a cock gobbler supreme.
>>
>>52898249
Go Death, Tempest, Forge, Grave, Protection or War.

Be an Elf.
>>
>>52898016
>heavy crossbow+hand crossbow for last shot

You have to use a one-handed weapon, so Heavy Crossbows don't get you the bonus attack with the hand crossbow.

So just use a hand crossbow all day erry day and pew pew 2-5 times per round.
>>
>>52898276
>le old paladin who's good and devoted to thing
Oh wow it's worse than posting nothing
>>
File: knightwithnoname.jpg (271KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
knightwithnoname.jpg
271KB, 1000x1414px
Anyone got one-a them PDFs that aims to fix martials / combat / equipment viability by giving all the weapons (individually or as classes) unique secondary attributes?

I'm adding a bunch of primitive guns to my game but it's kind of difficult to differentiate them within the design space that the existing weaponry and damage values allow for. Anything that takes them beyond "a crossbow but not" just makes melee in general pretty sucky and further pumps the value of Dexterity, so I've gotta do something to keep melee weapons relevant.

So far my only ideas are a moderate speed increase if you Dash / Dodge while wielding a melee weapon and making no ranged attacks on your turn (so melee guys can close on ranged characters or get between cover), banning Sharpshooter or reworking its cover-ignoring feature, and extending the disadvantage penalty when using ranged weapons at close range to 10 feet (except for shotguns).
>>
>>52898027
Multiple reasons.
Neri wasn't found immediately, time ticks against raise dead's 10 day revival.
The ordning broke.
Hekaton got abducted.
The ordning fucking broke.

Raise dead's timer ran out.
You now have to rely on resurrection.
>>
File: 1492808221143.jpg (20KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
1492808221143.jpg
20KB, 300x320px
>>52898348
>Suggests meme build to invalid a other players
>>
>>52898364
>that aims to fix martials

The problem with martials is they don't have things like Teleport, Geas, and other story-changing abilities.

Their ability to kill things in combat is not an issue.
>>
>>52898278

Forge, grave and protection don't get martial weapons only heavy armor.

Which is too bad because protection would be pretty good fit for a large number of halfling and human dieties
>>
>>52898409
Seriously? Grave I can kind of get, Forge should even though it is one of the strongest and Protection... I guess they're trying to go back to Clerics using a Shield and a Mace?

I really feel like there needs to be more caster Clerics though.
>>
>>52898364

The pdf in question is mediocre as fuck, don't waste your time.

Honestly guns are a difficult thing to balance. Either you make them ridiculously slow to reload because muzzle-loading arquebus are slow or you have to put in revolver style weapons and like you said crossbows are pointless then
>>
Im going to be playing rise of tiamat and I just checked out her statblock

Holy hell how is that thing supposed to be beatable
>>
>>52898455

I don't mind caster clerics it's just I'm not a big fan of the laser cleric thematically and the white mage healbot life cleric is only good for NPC healers.

Yes thematically they seem to want to go back to mace and shield clerics although I think getting rid of favored weapon rules was stupid because you can really differentiate between clerics of different faiths by giving their god a favored weapon.
>>
>>52898486
The designers expect you to cheese, as with all things.

If there's a giant dragon, godly avatar, or demon lord that IS beatable without massive amounts of cheese, someone's just designed it badly. Threats that incredible shouldn't be tackled by five bozos who started kicking over dungeons a few months back.

I'm all for making the party into some big impressive heroes, but there's saving the kingdom from a dread necromancer and then there's killing Fenrir. I'm fine with the latter, but only after the party has raised a small army and is loaded down with all sorts of artifacts and shit and has worked the magical ritual to nerf Fenrir's ass or forged a magical chain that binds half his limbs. None of this Final Fantasy nonense where four plucky teens slap the shit out of Fucking God.
>>
>>52898486
True Polymorph, Diviners, Open Hand Monk and enough people spamming Save or Sucks to burn through Legendary Resistances.

>>52898517
Really Clerics should've been Simple Weapons and they get a free weapon proficiency from their god. Doesn't take much to add "Favored Weapon: Longbow" next to a god name.
>>
>>52898486
No, you stop a ritual to stop her being summoned
>>
>>52897210
Nice one, will definitely keep that advice in mind, thanks heaps!
>>
>>52894577
2 level dip for repelling agonizing blast and now you have a cantrip for damage and control.
>>
>>52898621

Warlock dippers are the fucking worst
>>
File: 1482118353366.jpg (107KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1482118353366.jpg
107KB, 736x736px
I want to make a Paladin-Barbarian; can you use Divine Smite while raging?

I'm not sure if it counts as casting a spell or what. Obviously a smite like Wrathful Smite wouldn't work but Divine Smite is a class ability, not really a spell. My group/GM doesn't care, I just wanna know what you guys think

I'll be level 6, either going to be a Firbolg or a Half-Orc. I'm gonna take Polearm Master and use a shield and a quarterstaff (which is just going to be a big tree trunk kinda thing like pic related)
>>
>>52898486
Sharpshooter Fighter with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert can deal 275 damage with +10 damage for each +1 on their weapon. That's 1 out of 5 members and surely the party can find a way to give him Advantage.

It takes a party of maximised characters but it's possible.
>>
>>52898560

Yeah I think I'll just go with favored weapon nonsense. It's not that much of a boost to most clerics especially if you don't give most of the god shit like two-handed swords or polearm cheese
>>
>>52898568
But then you dont get phat XPs
>>
>>52894068

Way late to the party, but what's up with 5e and how healing seems broken? So you can just sleep it off from being on a brink of death? What do doctors even do?
>>
>>52898733
These are hardy adventurers and theyre tuff n shit they dont need no doctors
>>
>>52898118

>Set out to make most optimized level 6 character possible

>HURR DATS PERTY STORMWIND

no shit retard
>>
>>52894068
Need ideas for a puzzle ASAP.

Two doors, from one is possible to hear water and the other one is possible to hear air.

A puzzle to open both doors.
>>
>>52898733
Just make it so you require medical attention before recovering Hit Dice.
>>
>>52897861
Does shield specify it has to be used in reaction to an attack you can see?
>>
>>52898733

HPs aren't meat points

Healing Surges were 100% awesome and 5e just hides them under the surface to avoid upsetting most of the grogs

Why do you fucking care?
>>
>>52898644
Yes, you can use Smite while Raging. It's not a spell, it doesn't require concentration. You just hit, then expend the spell slot.
>>
>>52898763
The doors open, but only liquid/gaseous matter can pass through the treshold (depending on if it's the water or air door).
>>
>>52898486
The quest she's in lowers her capabilities significantly if you do the side quests
>>
>>52898644
You can absolutely smite while raging. It isn't casting a spell, but just a resource tied to spell slots.

The Smite spells themselves won't work however, but you know that.
>>
>>52898644
Don't be a Tumblr; half-orc works better for big deeps, which is what you seem to be looking for.
>>
>>52898864
Is the whole reason people hate Firbolgs the fact the art gives them a red nose?

I actually liked the race and think they're more interesting the Orcs or Goliaths. Though when people actually follow Goliath fluff they're some of the best characters.
>>
>tfw you die and then look up the thing that killed you and the only reason you died is because the DM forgot to end a spell effect on you that should have only lasted one round
Oh well
>>
>>52898900
The Dm can do whatever they damn well want to
>>
File: Optional Rule, Vitality.png (60KB, 316x737px) Image search: [Google]
Optional Rule, Vitality.png
60KB, 316x737px
>>52898733
If it bothers you, do what our DM does and add this ruling.
>>
>>52898364
What about something along the lines of
>When you make an attack roll with a firearm, you can only add your proficiency bonus if you use a bonus action to steady your aim.

So you could bonus action aim, action shoot. If you have Extra Attack, only one of your attacks can include your proficiency bonus. And then Sharpshooter could say, instead of ignoring cover, that when you aim as a bonus action you can include your prof bonus in all attacks during your turn.
>>
>>52898996
That's pretty neat. I'll have to run some numbers and look at other uses for bonus actions. Wouldn't want the effective use of a weapon to clash too heavily with certain classes or styles that count on spamming bonus actions every round.

Anyone know of a bunch of bonus action shit off hand? I know there's a ton of Mystic powers, moving Hex/Hunter's Mark around, reloading (in the DMG), some spells, and TWF.
>>
File: 4c7c935e72192f69cbe2de561629acc2.jpg (360KB, 1280x1772px) Image search: [Google]
4c7c935e72192f69cbe2de561629acc2.jpg
360KB, 1280x1772px
>>52898864
>>52898895

I have no idea what you guys are on about, Firbolgs are dope. Bigass sasquatch guys who are super strong and can turn invisible? Fuck yea

This whole party is pretty optimized and high-damage (sharpshooter fighter, GWM War Cleric, Fire Draconic Sorc who casts fire spells all day) so I wanted to be able to pull my own weight
>>
>>52899054
I agree they're cool. They were one of the least well received races from Volo's though.
>>
>>52898638
If I'm gonna have to play the support best believe I'm gonna at least give myself something fun to do while I wait to heal the next downed member.
>>
>>52894112
Is it wrong that I want to pet_ a kobold
>>
>>52898955
Doesn't this make 1st level characters that fight kobolds and goblins literally unstoppable?
>>
>>52899232
You still have HP with the vitality optional rule.
>>
>>52899053
Off the top of my head, cunning action is a pretty big thing for rogues. It would boil down to "you can hide to gain advantage or you can aim to add proficiency". War cleric bonus action attack, I guess. If the firearms are decent enough damage-wise, it should be a good trade-off.

>>52898777
No, that's what doesn't make sense to me.

>>52898581
You're welcome, anon. I suggest you take a look at some of the tougher monsters around with Innate Spellcasting to have a general idea. Pit Fiends, for example, can fireball all day long, but at that CR their multiattack does so much damage that it's generally not worth it.
>>
>>52899232
Well, it's effectively a +con hit point bonus. So pretty powerful, but not invincible.
>>
>>52898895
>>52899054

I'm more indifferent than anything else because I find them kinda meh, thematically. Their invisibility thing makes no sense and would work better if they made it tied to the environment they are in. The Detect Magic doesn't jive either.

And finally their stats should be +2 STR +1 WIS.
>>
>>52899255
But it says that you stay conscious at 0 hp, only falling unconscious until your vitality reaches 0 as well. However, vitality only lowers when you take 10 or more damage at a time, so if you fight something like goblins, you're almost guaranteed to stand and fight... Am I missing something?
>>
>>52899322
It says you take vitality instead of health at that point.
>>
>>52899284
Problem is there's already big races with +2 STR and nothing else gets +2 WIS.

I think the invisibility ability is cool as fuck but yeah it doesn't mesh with them. Should've been on Gnomes right from the start.

I guess they're meant to be highly magical fey creatures and the best Druids and Strength Rangers.
>>
>>52899322
Staying conscious isn't the same thing as being able to fight
>>
>>52899054
Culturally Firbolgs are idiotic.

As for mechanics, you'd get more out of staying Paladin than MCing into Barbarian. Continuing your progression for more smites, and more importantly for your party getting those nice group buff class abilities, is worth more than Reckless Attack and Bear Totem.

You can take 3-4 levels of Barbarian once you hit Paladin 8 or 12 I guess.
>>
>>52899322
>any additional damage is applied instead to the character's vitality
>>
>>52899342
Ohhh. So let's say you have Bob the Fighter, with 13 vitality. While clearing out a kobold warren, only one of them gets a clean cut in, reducing his vitality to 12. When Bob reaches 0 hit points, is his vitality basically converted into temporary hp, giving him an effective hp of 12?
>>
>>52899232
It makes your hp lower and lower each time, and the flesh wounds take time or ridiculous amounts of healing to get back up.

>>52899397
Yes, but every point of vitality lost is reducing his max HP.
>>
>>52898063
>>52898084

Is devotion any good? Spells and traits seem kinda lacklustre compared to Vengeance or Ancient.
>>
How to make a mobile suit golem? Do I switch system?
>>
>>52899409
Thanks, sorry for being dense. That's actually a pretty solid system. It still disproportionately affects low level players, but in a good way.
>>
Now that everyone's talking about rule variants, wouldn't it be too punitive towards casters other than warlocks if you used the gritty realism rest rules and they had to lay low for a week when they wanted to recover spell slots?
>>
>>52899443
You could go artificer and figure something out from there. Giant Ape and say you're inside of it?
>>
>>52899443
Unless you want ludicrous amounts of refflufing and mother-may-I with the DM, switch systems
>>
>>52899443
modify the Apparatus of Kwalish item
>>
File: tb19.png (51KB, 599x338px) Image search: [Google]
tb19.png
51KB, 599x338px
>>52899284
>>52899284
What if they had +2 STR and +2 WIS and ditched the Hidden Step ability?
>>
>>52899367
This anon has it right. The aura features you get will do more to help party survivability than you being resistant to everything. In 5e, meatshields aren't really a thing unless you're facing mindless enemies. But everyone in the party being harder to hurt makes a much bigger difference.
>>
>>52899342
Does that mean that if a 1st level fighter with 16 con and 13 hit points hits 3 vitality, he's unconscious? Or is he dead because his maximum hp is 0?
>>
>>52899524
He is reduced to 0 hp but still has 3 effective temp hp from vitality
>>
>>52899524
No, but it means that a long rest will only give him 7 HP.
>>
>>52894400
>Orcish Gods
>Gods

Glorious Gruumsh One Eye would like a world
>>
>>52899524
He is unconscious when his Vitality reaches zero. Your max HP is reduced if your Vitality is reduced, because your Vitality is used to calculate max HP, as opposed to Constitution.

However, you can't get a negative Constitution modifier high enough to reduce your max HP below zero.

For example, if a Fighter had 16 Con he'd have 13 HP to start off. If his Vitality was reduced to 15, his HP modifier is now +2, so he'd have 12 max HP. If his Vitality was reduced to 9, he'd have 9 max HP, 10 from his class and -1 from his modifier.
>>
>>52899521
That'd be fine, I think.
>>
Are any of the mystic orders too good? Any of them really bad?
>>
>>52894494
Beautiful thing about finess is it gives the option of dex, not the requirement. You can sneak attack with a rapier while raging and apply Str + Rage Mod.
>>
File: Faerûn's Pantheons, Orcs.png (354KB, 875x239px) Image search: [Google]
Faerûn's Pantheons, Orcs.png
354KB, 875x239px
>>52899597
>pic
>>52899583
Wait, I forgot to add the con mod to the vitality per rest.
>>52899631
They are all good, but you may suffer form bad early picks.
What are you building?
>>
>>52898364
My design plan is

"Remove weapon feats. When a player puts a weapon in their inventory, they can choose a 'weapon style' for it. A weapon style is usually one part of a weapon feat that can be used with that weapon, provided it is applicable. If you take the 'weapon master' feat, you may take two weapon styles per weapon instead of one.
By default, you may take only one bullet point of a weapon feat and apply it to a weapon it may apply to, but your DM may and should consider allowing exceptions, such as multiple bullet points for minor buffs (Such as drawing a new thrown weapon after every throw) or something which normally wouldn't apply (Such as GWM's +10 on a greatclub)."
>>
>>52899671
Not really building anything yet. Looking for a class and never actually tried mystic. Starting at level 9
>>
>>52899690
I play now level 7 Immortal, if you have any questions.
Also, what's the rest of the party?
>>
>>52899631
They're all pretty decent. I'm a fan of Soul Knife or the one with party buffs in case you don't have a Bard.

I'm playing a Halfling Soul Knife and just holding out to level 14 so I can never miss an Attack.
>>
>>52899712
Cleric, Wizard, Fighter
>>
>>52894400
Go barbarogue, 5 levels of barbarian, then whatever the heck you want for rogue archetype.

If you're dex focused, you can go for unarmoured defence. If you're strength focused, you get some benefits like rage damage and reckless attack.
>>
Is Magic Initiate Warlock for Hex worth it on a GWM Fighter?

Getting the extra 2d6 each turn and 4d6 when I surge seem pretty cool. Can also pick up some utility cantrips.
>>
>>52899545
But if you're reduced to 0 vitality and your constitution exceeds your normal max health, what happens? I understand this is only a problem for 1st level martials and (up to) 3rd level casters, but do you die?
>>
>>52899671
>cave entrance.
>>
Those Vitality rules definitely look interesting, but there's a big issue with them. Say you're a 5th level wizard with 12 Con and 26 HP on average. If you hit 0 vitality, now you have... -4 maximum HP? Well then.
>>
>>52899821
PAM is probaby more worth it on a GWM fighter, yet that then means using hex consumes a bonus action you could've been using to attack. I'd say hex is a good idea once you hit 20 strength because before then you get +1 to damage +1 to hit which is probably more valuable than +1d6 once a day using bonus actions.

MI for hex can be more fun for flavour, though.
>>
>>52899932
What if I'm a Half-Orc Champion?
>>
Is there a single argument for going a versatile weapon and no shield
>>
>>52899928
At that point it's common sense to default it to 0
>>
>>52899928
No, when you hit 0 vitality, you go to 0 HP.
>>
>>52899991
If you can convince your DM to let you use Dueling with it then it has a Higher Average damage then Two-Handers and crit better. Can't GWM though.

Other then that only Grapplers use them. Battlerager mostly.
>>
>>52899996
>>52900001
I know, that's not the issue. The thing is that you need to receive 20 points of healing before you can even recover 1 HP. And only 1 HP, even. Vitality messes with your maximum HP way too much and recovers way too slowly for anyone that doesn't use the gritty realism variant.
>>
>>52899957
Then:
>polearms synergize better with half-orc's +damage dice ability, gaining +2 damage on crit
>polearms have anti-synergy with extra crit chance, losing -1.5 damage per crit over greatsword
>PAM is less necessary as you crit more often and thus have more bonus attacks from GWM
>Hex has better synergy as they become 2d6 on crits

So, you deal -1.5 damage per hit, but you get +0.5 additional damage over if you used a greatsword on crits (Greatsword is better than greataxe in your case).
Also the potential to get 2d6 from hex is hardly enough when other stuff like PAM giving you more attacks or having higher hit chance and damage exists.

In terms of how powerful your options are, I'd say:
PAM > +2 Str > Sentinel > Savage Attacker (If you already have sentinel/PAM) > Hex 1/day
... Assuming you fight more than once or twice a day.
>>
>>52899991
The only case this is ever a good idea is if you're a grappler, and then you're probably a shit grappler because you're not using shield master and rogues would benefit most from that and versatile weapons that matter aren't finesse and the damage difference is negligible anyway

So no, not really
>>
>>52899991
You're playing a Strength Ranger that wants to be able to draw their throwing axes without having to wait a turn by either dropping your sword or removing your shield.

It's a similar deal to why some Rogues use daggers over shortswords. Sometimes, being able to throw your dagger is worth it. That said, that's a better justification than the Ranger one.
>>
>>52900069
If your Vitality is reduced to zero you take a long rest to get a bit back, and to recover all of your HP. You'll still have lowered maximum HP, but you'll be fine to go, technically. Mostly, you'll be at risk of getting downed the second you take an Vitality damage.

The point of the rule is that it makes the party have to take really long breaks after adventures, getting multiple long rests or a ton of healing to recover their Vitality. In exchange, it makes them a fair bit tougher when they're fully rested.
>>
>>52894873

Speaking as someone playing this feat and class, it's a riot to be able to reproduce anything you've seen or can reasonably deduce.

Mine took no offensive spells whatsoever. Whether it be just that damage spells are too barbaric or direct or unreliable is up to you, of course. I think a conjurer would prefer to have others do the breaking-things job and focus on utility and the like.
>>
>>52899744
Wanna gish, support or blast?
>>
>>52899501
The crab?
>>52899484
Thanks, but model I have in mind is an iron golem. Maybe I make a hybrid stat between them.
>>52899498
Will consider.

Is putting your soul in something with the same process as golem making crazy or insane?
>>
>>52899854
?
>>
>>52897806
Tabaxi

>Tiger's Strike
>+1 Str
>Double your horizontal leap. If you leap at least 15 feet before making an attack, add +2 damage to all damage rolls for that attack

>Cheetah's Speed Sanic the Fastbaxi
>+1 Dex
>When taking the dash action, the extra speed gained equals double your movespeed instead of just your movespeed.

>Cougar's Charm
>+1 Cha
>Gain advantage on Deception and Persuasion rolls while alcohol is nearby and open. Gain advantage on Carousing rolls.

>Lion's Pride
>+1 Str or Cha
>Gain proficiency in Intimidation. If you are already proficient in intimidation then gain expertise.
>In addition, when using the Help action, in or out of combat, you give the ability to reroll once any dice rolled by the target of the help action. The new die must be used.

>Snow Leopard's Silence
>+1 Dex
>Gain proficiency in stealth. If you are already proficient in stealth, gain expertise.
>In addition you gain resistance to the ill effects of cold and can Hide in plain sight if you are near snow.
>>
Is there anything weak against Necrotic?
>>
File: my warlock.jpg (27KB, 450x470px) Image search: [Google]
my warlock.jpg
27KB, 450x470px
I wanna make a Flying Broomstick, i.e: Broom of Flying from the DMG. I have all the means to do so, I'm a 5th level Warlock with the Fly spell, 500gp, and time on my hands. I asked my DMs if I could do this and they both said yes but I can't just use it whenever, it has to have a 'charge', which would basically mean it's exactly the same as the Fly spell, except it doesn't use a spell slot and I can only use it once per day. This effectively means I would be spending 20 days and 500gp to get 1 extra spell slot that I can only use on one specific spell.

Are they justified in this? I get that a flying broomstick that I can use whenever I want might be a bit OP. Is there any way I could justify this to them?
>>
First time playing d&d. How weird is it to show up to a game with a female character if I am a man? This is a honest question.
I just wanna make my character a woman because that's what I want my character to be, there are no fetish related reasons involved.
>>
Halfling rogue (assasin) /warlock/fighter 4/2/1

Two weapon fighting
Duel wielder

Using two rapiers

Am I doing it right?

I have 18 Dex.
>>
>>52900576
>resistance to the ill effects of cold

This needs to be more clear. Is it resistance to cold damage or just being okay in cold environments like Goliaths?
>>
>>52900804
No flying and no fun allowed.
>>
>>52900823
Eh, it's one of those things where it theoretically is fine and shouldn't matter but in reality it'll be weird for a lot of people.

For your first character in a group I'd just go male but second character should be fine as a female.
>>
Which wizard archetype from the phb is the best? Which one is the worst?
>>
>>52900804
500 gold for another spell slot isnt bad at all

>>52900824
pretty sure you'd be better off just taking more levels in rogue for more sneak attack dice
>>
>>52900823
Depends on the group and DM. As a DM I don't generally allow my players to play opposite gender characters unless I really trust them. Even if you have good intentions you may have subconscious presumptions about how another gender feels and acts in certain situations. Plus some people are just cunts and make slutty female characters who wanna fuck everything.
>>
>>52900824
This is terrible to be honest. I'd take away the fighter level because Dual Wielding won't actually be used by Rogues much, only if you miss the first attack.

You're better off using your bonus action to hide so you get Advantage on your main attack and can avoid being hit.
>>
>>52900804
I would argue that this is somewhat fair because a) mounts that fly aren't exactly easy to find, especially at your level and b) it should be so that it can't be easily destroyed since it's magic and being hit while on it isn't breaking concentration so youre getting a fly that doesn't have to be concentrated on

If I was you I wouldn't be flying it near fire anytime soon
>>
>>52900882
Mechanically Diviner is one of the most powerful classes in 5he PHB. Necromancy is underwhelming.
>>
>>52900804
It's entirely justified. 500gp for an extra level 3 spell slot with corresponding spell known (Assuming you were going to use it on 'fly') is a bargain at some tables.

If you want to use it all the time, you could probably just power it with your own spell slots. A warlock gets theirs back on a short rest anyway.
>>
>>52900887
I'd only be adding 1d6 over +4 to damage with my second attack.
I want the warlock for the demon sight and reading any writing due to having no dark vision and only two languages
>>
new thread
>>52900945
>>52900945
>>52900945
>>
>>52900882
Worst are Necromancy, Conjuration (Without the Demon spells) and Evoker. In that order.

Best are Diviner, Abjurer and in my opinion Enchanter. At will take someone out of a fight, redirecting attacks and free twinning spells are all awesome.
>>
>>52900824
Take archery instead and use crossbow mastery
Hand crossbows are better in literally every way possible
>>
>>52900942
>A warlock gets theirs back on a short rest anyway.
FUCKING WHAT
where is this in the PHB? I had no idea, am I a fool? I've been playing like you would a Wizard where you only regain spell slots after a long rest. I thought Locks were balanced by this because they get so few spell slots but always cast them at full power.
>>
>>52900882
Necromancy 'can' be the post powerful, but it requires a lot of stuff your DM wouldn't like you to do.
Conjurer can be very powerful too if you're careful with it.
Diviner is generally the most powerful.
Transmutation is the weakest.
>>
>>52900966
My table plays with old rules for ranged sneak attack, they have to be made within 30 feet to count as sneak attacks.
>>
>>52900982
Holy shit you've been playing such a gimped character.

Read the Warlock section cover to cover Jesus Christ.
>>
>>52900982
Under the spell slots section of Pact Magic.
>>
>>52900982
Oh dear christ are your DMs not helping you at all? Spell slots on a short rest are practically warlock's defining point.

>>52900991
Hand crossbows have disadvantage beyond 30ft which already makes it very hard to get sneak attack.
That doesn't change anything. Hand crossbows are like those rapiers except +2 to hit, -1 to damage and you can fire it at ANY range between 0ft and 30ft without a problem.
So:
1. It's stronger
2. It has better range

Also why're they trying to nerf rogues?
>>
>>52900576
Orc

>Half blood (Orog/Tanarukk)
>+1 Str or Int
>Any large or smaller target of your overrun, shove, or grapple actions have disadvantage.

>Bahgtru's Might
>+1 Str
>You're unarmed attacks now deal 1d4+1+Str damage as opposed to 1+Str.
>In addition your Strength cap is increased by, from 20 to 22, for example.

>Yutrus' Resilience
>+1 Con
>You gain advantage on rolls made against diseases, both physical and mental.
>In addition, your hand glows deatlhy white. When making a melee attack involving that hand, including through weapons, you can change the damage of that attack to necrotic.

>Luthic's Care
>+1 Wis or Con
>Once per long rest you may double the health gained from 3 hit die in a short rest. You must choose to double before making the roll

I realize how strong these are but orcs in general are weak without very much motivation to play one. Making them scale harder allows for something to be done with them.
>>52900852
Environments. I would specify damage.
>>
>>52900982
Probably in the spellcasting section for warlocks. You probably didn't read it all that close because you assumed it was the same as wizards. But yeah, warlocks get limited slots, cast at upped power and get their slots back on short rests.
>>
>>52901019
Our table has some house rules.
We don't play with flanking optional but rogues get the flanking option. So rogues at our table get advantage vs anyone flanked but no one else does.
>>
>>52900982
Holy fuck. You're a tard.
>>
>>52901067
Huh. I suppose that's interesting, but it's not clear how it works with multiclassing because that would be way too strong unless they're scrubs who can't deal with multiclasses

In any case, even if you have to be in melee, hand crossbows are better. You can use them exactly like a rapier and they'll still do more damage using a feat and a fighting style. The only exception is abilities that specifically require melee attacks such as the mobile feat / swashbuckler's version of mobile / booming blade or green flame blade

I bet there's some gamebreaking houserules in there somewhere
>>
>>52901075
hey man it worked fine, in fact everyone in the group thought I was a bit too strong. wait till they see me next session.
>>
>>52901067
...Then wouldn't Crossbow Expert Rogues get ADV for being within 5 feet? Once again bringing up the fact your character's gimped.

There's nothing wrong with playing the character you want but honestly it seems like just playing a College of Swords Bard might be better and save all the spastic multiclassing.

Also I remember you from a few threads and once again. You can't ask for help building a character when your table has 100's of little houserules we don't know.
>>
I only just read the latest UA, how'd you guys feel about it?
>>
>>52901132
It's fine.
>>
>>52901111
Mate. Every other spellcaster gets the same amount of high level slots until you get your 3rd one.

I'm just amazed because people talk about Warlock a lot and that's it's main feature. Can't believe you never saw it.
>>
>>52899480
I actually had a session recently where I didn't get to rest. Time pressure prevented the long rest, so after three combats and having used one spell per combat I was a level two wizard left with a single spell for an entire session. I even hit 3rd level the session before but without a long rest couldn't get my 2nd level spells.

It's really kinda boring, and not very fun desu senpai.
>>
>>52900982
yeah c0re didnt need that warlock rework that bad did it
>>
>>52901110
How we get around advantage and multiclassing is that you have to be primarily a rogue. So if you have more levels in other classes other then rogue you don't get it.

With the advantage, the +2 to hit for the archery feat seems meh compared to the +1 to AC with the duel wielder feat.
>>
>>52901143
I never thought there was a problem because it works just fine as I say. guess i'm just a fuckin idiot. idk why I didn't read it. I guess I just saw 'spell slots' and couldn't be bothered to read the paragraph and assumed it was the same as every other magic class, and thought I could just get that info in short from the levelling table.
>>
>>52901112
I guess you're right.
I honestly don't like using ranged either, doesn't feel roguelike to me.
>>
>>52894142
>I don't want to force my players to learn Faerun
>Better force them to learn my homebrew world then
>>
>>52900982
I want to say something condescending making fun of you for not reading but I'm pretty sure I was beaten to it by multiple people
>>
What are some fun shenanigans I can pull as an Arcane Trickster?
Making the character at 5th level, for reference.
>>
>>52901241
The tactical flexibility of not having to be in melee is much, much better than 1 AC. It can often be a matter of 'enemy can't attack anything' and 'enemy can attack something'. Yet you can also get within 5ft if you need to attack a prone or paralyzed enemy.

And anyway, if you can still get it, getting +2 dex is always better than the dual wielder feat as it gives you +1 AC, +1 dex skills, +1 dex save, +1 damage, +1 to hit, compared to dual wielder which gives you +1 AC, +1 damage (+2 on crit) and allows you to draw two weapons at once.

As for the specific difference between hand crossbow and rapier..
>Rapier dualwielder TWF
1d8+DEX damage, bonus for 1d8+DEX damage, piercing
+1 AC
Two weapons
0-5ft range
Works for melee-only clauses such as wolf barbarian or BB/GFB

>Hand Crossbow CBE Archery
1d6+DEX damage, bonus for 1d6+dex damage, piercing
One weapon, two hands to reload
0-30ft range
+2 to hit
Ammunition (Either good or bad)
Applies for ranged-only clauses such as sharpshooter and archery.

+2 to hit is pretty neato.

If you're melee and have a level of fighter, duelling fighting style + shield + magic initiate for booming blade and green flame blade isn't a bad idea, ESPECIALLY if you get advantage often.

As for the houserule, pretty much all good rogue multiclasses have most of their levels in rogue anyway (Usually 5 levels in some other class for extra attack, rest of their levels in rogue). But I guess they're pretty rogueish.
>>
>>52901512
>>52901241
Oh and mobile
Mobile and magic initiate are good ideas for a melee rogue if swashbuckler/AT doesn't already get you them
Alert is good for an assassin considering you have to win initiative for both surprise autocrits and for first round advantage
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.