[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Wheel of Time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 26

File: 1493121911141.jpg (225KB, 800x1149px) Image search: [Google]
1493121911141.jpg
225KB, 800x1149px
>Variety reports that Sony Pictures Television will produce the TV adaptation of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time series. The news comes just about a year after Harriet McDougal, wife of the late author, announced that the TV rights for the 14-book epic fantasy series had been optioned by a major studio.
>The series has also set a showrunner: Rafe Judkins, who has written for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Chuck, and Hemlock Grove, will write and executive produce.

Could this be the most ambitious adaptation ever undertaken?

www.tor.com/2017/04/20/the-wheel-of-time-tv-serie-sony-pictures-rafe-judkins/
>>
File: 1487191820285.jpg (61KB, 330x318px) Image search: [Google]
1487191820285.jpg
61KB, 330x318px
>>52893672
>Sony.
Worry.jpg
Those guys make movies with a comitee of suits, it will bomb.
>>
>>52893672
The miniseries explosion is the best thing to happen to film since vhs.
>>
>>52893672
*Tugs braid*
>>
I have just started reading the series, and just found out about this.

It's like Christmas already.
>>
>>52893672
Pls be anime
>>
File: 1486577891784.jpg (49KB, 720x796px) Image search: [Google]
1486577891784.jpg
49KB, 720x796px
>>52893697
Hate to say it but I agree with this guy, it's either gonna be decent and stick as close to books as possible (unlikely) or cut out a shit ton of the tension between the sexes and make interesting side villians jokes or not include them at all.
>>
>>52893773
if only anon was here. He would know what to do
>>
*worried look*

*smooths skirt*
>>
>Sony
Lol
>>
>>52894389
Anon you were always better with women than I was.
>>
File: tugging intensifies.gif (1MB, 590x705px) Image search: [Google]
tugging intensifies.gif
1MB, 590x705px
>>52893672
>>52893773
>>
File: 14622695669460.jpg (83KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
14622695669460.jpg
83KB, 630x473px
>>52893672
That's horrible.
They will create another shitty fanbase that bases their unimportant opinion just on the series and not on the books.
Moreover it will be very difficult to show feels, dreams and thoughts of the characters, make them and the whole world like it's described in the books.
I don't even speak about all this tolerant and sjw shit they will add like nigga-aiel, aes sedai-lesbians and many others.
Shame that Wheel of Time was chosen as sacrifice for TV.
R. Jordan will turn in his grave.
>>
>>52894032
The only thing worse that I can think of is Peter "fuckwad the III" Jackson making the Silmarillion into a movie. People will die if that happens.
>>
>>52897691

>aes sedai-lesbians
>Add

I mean seriously, at some point in the past the amyrlin seat suddenly thought 'wait, I can make all these bitches show me their tits', and nobody questioned it.
>>
>>52897691
>aes sedai-lesbians
Anon, did you miss the passages about "pillow-friends"?
>>
>>52897865
That was one or two times.
I guess theu will turn the whole Red Ajah into lesbians - powerful women who need no men.
Heaven for tumblr-scum.
>>
>>52897710
I feel bad for Peter Jackson vis a vis the Hobbit films. I think the LotR trilogy really well follows the spirit and core of the book as well as movies could, and it was a passion project.

It's just too bad they were successful, and now there has to be more of it.
>>
>>52897952
It was quite a bit more than that.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Pillow_friends

>Novices and Accepted commonly enjoy these relationships as comfort during the hardships of White Tower training, but are viewed as a thing of girlhood[1] and are almost universally abandoned upon gaining the shawl. Some attempt to continue the relationships even as Aes Sedai though.
>This has the equivalent term of heart-friends in Seanchan slang.[2][3]

And then we have this lovely statement by the author.
>Well, you put fifteen-year-old girls in a tower filled with almost entirely women, with their hormones raging on overdrive, keep them away from men, because you can’t afford to lose any of them, and what do you think is going to happen?
>>
>>52898028
>I think the LotR trilogy really well follows the spirit and core of the book as well as movies could,
Four word counterexample: "Elves at Helms Deep". Especially since it is completely gratuitous and those elves add nothing except for something that pretty much takes a huge steaming shit on the spirit of the books, and they could have easily been replaced by just having more Rohirrim extras around (Why reduce them from 2,000ish to 300 in the first place?)

There's a lot more, but that one is easily the worst. They're fun, actioney movies, but they do not follow the spirit or the core of the books, and are really only tangentially related to them.
>>
>>
>>52893672
>sony
>laughingcritics.webm
>>
>>52897952
The Red Ajah was already the biggest militant femnazi dykes ever
>>
>>52898066
I have another counterexample: "The hobbits go to Osgiliath". Had a fucking hissy fit when I saw that.
>>
>>52899052
>Had a fucking hissy fit when I saw that.
This sort of shit is why I use the Jackson movies as a method of weeding people out of my MERP/TOR games.
>>
>>52899052
Yeah, that one was pretty awful too, although I'd personally put it behind Helms Deep, that incredibly retarded scene where Frodo believes Gollum over Sam, and the general fucking over of Denethor's character (which is admittedly interlinked with the Osgiliath stuff).

Still, at least in my estimation, which could very well be wrong as I haven't asked PJ about things like this, Osgiliath was done for 2 major reasons.

1) He's going to be cutting out most of the post-Ring destruction stuff in RoTK; and that creates enormous pacing problems, so he needs SOMETHING to fill up the Two Towers portion with Frodo and Sam.
2)In a medium where you can't directly show what people are thinking, he wants to play up the Ring's corruption on people, and has to do it more overtly than Tolkien did, which leads to the Osgiliath retardation.

That's bad, don't get me wrong, but again, as far as I can tell, the idea behind the Helms Deep Elves is that he wanted to show how all the Good Guys get together to fight the Bad Guys, which is not only wrong, but it actually directly contradicts the themes of the books, namely how they are NOT getting together, and it's really the Men who are doing 90+% of the fighting against the Shadow, which is why they're going to inherit the earth.
>>
least favorite character, no matter how small, go!
>>
>>52899692
Zaida din Parede Blackwing. Most of the sea people sucked, but she was absolutely awful.
>>
File: 1492648312725.jpg (72KB, 595x864px) Image search: [Google]
1492648312725.jpg
72KB, 595x864px
>>52897691
>nigga-aiel

Absolutely the fucking worst and THEY WILL DO IT. There is no scenario where they can try and explain white-bronze people in vaguely bedouin clothing, fighting guerrilla with spears. The salt in the liberal media would be off the charts.

They have a stronger case for the idea of making Borderlanders black, and ffs, they can just make the Seafolk black BECAUSE THEY ALREADY ARE
>>
>>52899692
I almost feel like I have to say Perrin.
Thing is, I don't dislike him, but his chapters just annoyed me the most. The wolf dream was boring the majority of the time and he just kept on moaning to himself, even as he had mastered his gift. Not hate him universally, but the wolf stuff is the biggest persistent dent in my enjoyment of the series.

Among the minor characters Loials girlfriend sucks, she is just boring.

Also not fond of Julin, just never started liking him. His main contribution I have forgotten, because it's been a long time since I read the books before Sanderson. And then he just kept being in scenes and never really did something of note. I always feel like I am supposed to like him the way he kept coming up. Well, I guess I lost or never picked up on the crucial piece.

>>52899890
I never build grudges against the roadbumps. Funny how perception differs.
>>
File: Aviendha.jpg (444KB, 687x852px) Image search: [Google]
Aviendha.jpg
444KB, 687x852px
>>52899692

Min and Aviendha

Fine characters by themselves, but the harem bullshit was a massive shark-jump and kinda eroded my like of the books.
>>
>>52899214
they put elves at helms deep because they wanted a reason to throw a bunch of elves into the second movie
>>
File: 1441090162306.jpg (90KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1441090162306.jpg
90KB, 800x534px
>>52898066
>huge steaming shit on the spirit of the books

Speaking personally, it seemed like you were really supposed to like elves, but elves throw their hands up and refuse to help, because men are shit, even though men are heroes.

Whether that was in the books or not, I have no idea, but speaking from watching the movies, it just seemed like elves were useless. Having a 100 elves show up at helms deep was a statement that said "maybe elves are complete shitheads"
>>
>>52900915
>maybe elves are complete shitheads

*aren't
>>
>>52899692

Mother. Fucking. Egwene.
>>
>>52897317
Ugh. Men.
>>
>>52897317

Personally I liked that joke.
>>
>>52900915
Anon, elves ARE supposed to be complete shit heads, same with dwarves. Only the specific, named elves and Gimli are supposed to be seen as reasonable people. Even in Lothlorien, only Galadriel is supposed to show any humaninty, and half of that is playing up her being a ring-bearer.
>>
>>52901085
>elves ARE supposed to be complete shit heads

Yeah, see, that may be true, but I don't think Tolkien intended that. Everyone in-setting seemed very in love with elves.
>>
>>52901130
Maybe it's meant to be something like everybody being in love with the idea of elves, and the book shows that the reality doesn't match what people think they are?
>>
>>52899692
>>52900412
Fucking Perrin. Reading about him alternately mope about killing people and how much he loves his wife was just awful
>>
File: Berelain.jpg (154KB, 680x850px) Image search: [Google]
Berelain.jpg
154KB, 680x850px
>>52901214
>Fucking Perrin
>his wife

The Berelain chapters were hard to read
>>
>>52898036

What happens?
>>
>>52901186
>reality doesn't match what people think they are?

I'll buy that. i'm still not sure what was intended by Tokien and perverted by Jackson. Whether the idea that Jackson wanted elves to be more likable, or what
>>
>>52899179
You like they Percy Jackson movies?
>>
The Wheel of time series is fucking shit and you should all be ashamed for liking it
>>
>>52901385
I've never had any interaction with the Percy Jackson series. I use the Peter Jackson LotR films as a litmus test for lore spergs, because if they sperg hard about the PJ films then that means they'll likely sperg hard if I fuck up or deliberately alter something, and I don't want to deal with that. A little lore sperg is OK, a lot is just a headache.
>>
>>52901245
>Be Berelain
>Know your smoking hot
>Ready to throw yourself at the Lord Dragon
>Hopfully will get some positive favors from him out of this.
>Find out he is just a bashful village bumpkin when starting to uncloth
>Fucking clones oh him jump out of the mirrors and I need to sit helplessly and watch while crazy shit goes down
>WELP guess I will just go after his best friend

The hell was Perrin thinking, its not like her knew Faile was nobility and he had a smoking hot Queen hounding his ass
>>
>>52901130
No, Tolkien definitely intended that. He says that Legolas was the least accomplished of the Fellowship, and that it was an act of cowardice to keep sailing west. Everyone in-setting loves the elves, but that's because the Elves are the source of things like written language and are holders of a 'cultural monopoly'.
>>
Never made it past book 3.
>>
>>52901863
I gave up halfway through book3. I thought it was super dry and slow going, so I looked up whether it picks up going into the series, but apparently not. There's apparently an entire book that's set over three days and fucking nothing happens in it.
>>
>>52901904
Yep, same spot I stopped
>>
>>52898423

If you'd caught them 20 years before the series plot, they were actually led by somebody who's idea of a good time is to get drunk and do some straight-shota.

I shit you not, anon. It's a big tent, although Elaida and Galena suck so hard it's hard to see around them.
>>
>>52899692
Pretty much all of them.
>>
>>52893773
>>52897673

Nynaeve doesn't deserve all the shit she gets. She's horrible at the start, but she becomes an absolute bro to Rand by the end.

Fuck Egwene, though.
>>
>>52899692

Fucking Egwene, solely for what she did to Nynaeve.

>gee Nynaeve, I just had to torture you emotionally far beyond what was done to any other Aes Sedai, you see, we can't have my enemies thinking I'm preferential towards you
>it's TOTALLY fine for them to think that I'm so weak-willed I'll let them get away with torturing my allies, though
>also I'm not going to give you any kind of real apology

Her and Gawyn deserve each other. Lord, they are just miserable people. He runs a close second for being such an obtuse, idiotic, murdering scumbag.
>>
File: tar_valon_by_gorgaidon.jpg (254KB, 1600x1060px) Image search: [Google]
tar_valon_by_gorgaidon.jpg
254KB, 1600x1060px
>>
>>52901255
>moeshit.jpg
Forbidden love!
>>
>>52899692
Elayne can fuck right off. I don't know why her and Rand were in love and I didn't give a shit about her entire claim the throne arc.

What right did Rand have to give you the throne?
He defended the city from a fucking Forsaken while you were off playing shitty Aes Sedai. At least your parts had Birgitte.
>>
>>52901966
>If you'd caught them 20 years before the series plot, they were actually led by somebody who's idea of a good time is to get drunk and do some straight-shota.
Who was this?
>>
>>52903608
>What right did Rand have to give you the throne?
>He defended the city from a fucking Forsaken while you were off playing shitty Aes Sedai. At least your parts had Birgitte.
That's not the point and you know it. Her reign could never be successful if she was thought of as Rand's puppet, and by saying he's giving her the throne, a lot of Andor's nobility will be thinking along those lines. Yappy little dog syndrome among client states is hardly something new. Just look at De Gaulle, or Judea under Roman rule.
>>
>>52893672

>wheel of time will never be the anime it was always meant to be
>>
>>52903738

Toviene. She's doing time as a menial worker on a farm in the middle of nowhere at series start as part of that political compromise that saw all the current generation of Aes Sedai ascend to power a bit too young (well... they did kind of kill an Amyrillin, and there was that unsanctioned channeller purge). Elaida "rehabilitates" her, Soviet-style..
>>
>>52894032
>cut out a shit ton of the tension between the sexes
Anon, you realize they're just going to keep that in, hijack it, and make the entire series about feminism, right? This is fucking SONY, for fuck's sake–the company that Wikileaks proved exists solely for propaganda.
>>
>>52903776

It's kind of the point.. it gets just a little bit funny right at the end when it starts to become clear that Perrin can well and truly see himself going to war against Elayne, and Mat at least has to take her very seriously at times. Rand thinks they're all good friends.
>>
>Wheel of Time TV series
Oh boy, I can't see the Seanchan going over well in the current political climate, what with a lot of them being black and the whole damane thing.

Either they'll change it around or the shitstorm will be glorious to watch.
>>
>>52904523
There won't be any problems having black people holding white people in collars.
>>
>>52904574
There wouldn't be, but all those in collars are female, and that will be trouble.

Also remember the shitstorm that happened in LoTR with the southern people being black.
>>
>>52893697
>Those guys make movies with a comitee of suits,
I fucking wish, they make movies with a committee of gay men and fat girls with pastel dyed hair, suits pander in ways that often fail to land, but Sony deliberately tries to find ways to piss of the target audience.
>>
File: gawyn.jpg (44KB, 360x504px) Image search: [Google]
gawyn.jpg
44KB, 360x504px
>>52899692
Gawyn, I started the books hating Galad but by the end Galad was one of the best characters, meanwhile his brother Gawyn went in the complete opposite direction
>sides with Elaida
>STAYS with Elaida after it's made clear she's the sworn enemy of his country, his family, and the woman he loves
>continues to remain with Elaida as she tries to get him killed even though he's one of her most important supporters
>hates Rand because of a rumor he heard that he never bothered to verify despite countless opportunities
>circlejerks about how he'll kill Rand even though he has a snowball's chance in hell of pulling it off
In general Gawyn and every character around him tends to overestimate his combat prowess
>"all right Gawyn protect Egwene during the battle, it's very important that you-"
>"lol fuck that, I'm Gawyn mutherfuckin' Trakand, if you need me I'll be getting my ass blasted by Demandred"
>>
I wonder how much of Robert Jordan's magical realm will make it into the final series.
>>
>>52900412
>>52901214
Perrin as a character I quite liked, to be perfectly honest.

What sucked was that nothing ever happened in his chapters, his supporting cast was shit and his overall arc was largely irrelevant.
>>
>>52901245
>>52901707
On my reread I kind of felt bad for Berelain, all of the women treat he with hostility right out of the gate because they're threatened by her because she's pretty and doesn't immediately nag or insult every man she meets, a combination of traits that apparently threatens the very core of Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve. Also every time she tries to romance any of the men she gets attacked by mirror monsters or kidnapped by Aiel or something. All she wanted to do was protect her crappy little country from powerful neighbors and maybe get laid along the way,her motivations are more pure than 90% of the characters in the series.
>>
>>52904797

Hopefully most of it.
>>
>>52904797
Assuming they keep slave collars as prevalent and the women as intolerably controlling as they are in the series, 100%.
>>
>>52904897
sad part is, berelain and galad ended up being perfect for eachother because they were probably the most competent people in the series on top of being hot and handsome respectively. berelain regularly provided honest, legitimate council and aid and galad got the whitecloaks straightened out pretty much by himself.
>>
>>52904756

Yeah, Galad turned out to be the *good* kind of unhinged. Gawyn just had emotional problems.
>>
>>52897851
You mean like in any one of their ceremonies? I forget the phrase they use, but it's something like, "naked before the Light." Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>52905325

The man was maniacally sane.

>Galad and Perrin are so obsessed with dotting every procedural "i" and crossing every "t" in their Whitecloak/Wolfbrother nemesis plot that *they never get around to fighting eachother*
>they find an impartial arbiter with jurisdiction over the matter
>get a verdict of manslaughter and take a moment to marvel over the sheer legalness of it
>the Forsaken behind that particular "let's you and him fight" actually gets pissed off and frustrated by it all
>*they just won't kill eachother*
>>
>>52905414

Yeah, they're convinced that they're *enemies*, sure enough. But that's no reason not to do things the right way.
>>
>>52899692
I'll admit that I've only gotten into book 2, but I'm devasted to find out Jordan somehow writes characters more atrocious than egwene. I don't know how you develop a personality that distasteful unintentionally.
>>
>>52905652
I think he personally sought out loners in coffee shops and wrote down their worst characteristics to make some of his characters, they're that fucking annoying to just read about. I can only imagine what their characters would be like if they were portrayed accurately in a television show.
>>
>>52904592

> shitstorm that happened in LoTR with the southern people being black.

Hmm? I don't recall this.
>>
>>52904592
Haradrim are north africans and mena in general (with the corsair thing, light cavalry, elephant trainig ala carthago and Curved.Swords.) I'm sure people at the very south was black but it's a very long treck.
>>
>>52904897
Berelain might be one of the most tragic (romantically) characters in the series.

>Min does a reading of Perrin and says he will have to choose between two women
>Berelain hits on him for like a chapter
>Perrin runs off and falls COMPLETELY in love with Faile.
>Berelain is reintroduced and Perrin is has already made his decision that was supposed to be core to his character.
>Every time she tries to hit on him again, Perrin gets legitimately angry and screams at her.
>Doesn't get an apology because Perrin was only screaming at her because he didn't know his wife was jealous BECAUSE he was screaming at her.

I like Perrin. And I admittedly haven't finished the series. But Berelaine had a set up, and nothing happened, and then she just got shit on from then on out. She didn't even deserve it the way Mat did.
>>
>>52905414
That actually sounds interesting and funny, because it's exactly why I like both of those characters. But I have no doubt that if I read that, it would be the most painfully boring and irritating thing to read.
>>
>>52903776
I know part of the plot was "teach Rand the game so he can play it and doesn't fall for stupid tricks" but I can't help but feel like so much of the political bullshit could have been avoided with "I know literally nothing about this fucking political bullshit and just want to assemble an army to fight the shadow, I'm just going to protect the throne until the heir shows up and you guys can get back to the status quo.". And then he can just scream "I'M THE DRAGON REBORN" at anybody who disagrees like he did anyway.

Until that one Aes Sedai showed up and put him in his place by pinching him whenever he was being an arrogant dick at least.
>>
>>52906264

But it really wasnt. It was kind of awesome.
>>
>>52904897
>>52906249
>I kind of felt bad for Berelain

Considering its implied that shes basically supposed to whore herself out to Tear nobles in order to keep her country safe, and as such, being pretty is just part of the job.
>>
I reread WOT about two years ago and was amazed how like a decade after I read it as a teenager it was STILL anime as fuck. How an elderly Carolinian wrote something THAT anime in an anime vacuum is kind of shocking.
>>
>>52897952
Yeah, being powerful women who need no men is literally the whole red ajahs schtick.

Red Ajah - Feminazi Magical Inquisition
Green Ajah - Battlesluts
Brown Ajah - Nerdy Librarians
Blue Ajah - Secret Service Bitches who know too much for their own good
Grey Ajah - Wait, there is a grey Ajah?
White Ajah - Insert feminist KKK joke here
Yellow Ajah - Someone needs to patch all these idiots up amirite?
Black Ajah - Pretty sure that's actually some kind of Aes Sedai exclusive BDSM club.
EVERYONE is a member, no one wants to admit it.

Did I miss anything out? Which Ajah is best Ajah?
>>
>>52906652
>Which Ajah is best Ajah?
Brown, one of them got to be the PC of a video game.
>>
>>52906664

Also Verin.

I actually think the Red Ajah is pretty underrated in terms of good characters, mostly because they're portrayed pretty poorly in the early books. Much like the Whitecloaks, they get significantly better by the end. Pevara, Teslyn, Silviana, and Sashalle are all great secondary/minor characters, and Galina and Liandrin were pretty solid antagonists at various points. I was actually really shocked that Liandrin never really got a comeback considering how critical she was as an adversary early on. Really Elaida is the only major Red character who's frustrating due to how fucking incompetent she is.

Also, I liked that one Grey Ajah chick who was in Rand's camp of sworn sedai, she metaphorically slapped his shit after the Sea Folk negotiations and he actually ate the crow he rightfully deserved on it. Kudos for her.
>>
>>52904797
I really need the Seanchean to do their whole collaring thing. The gymnastic exercises with the various forsaken wouldn't hurt either.
>>
who is the best character and why is it mat
>>
>>52906956
I'm undecided between mat and perin.
i like perin more as a character, but mats chapters are more entertaining.
>>
>>52906956
I liked Perrin as a character, but I always like Mat chapter's more because you know he's going to do something entertaining, or get shit on because he's an asshole. The only thing more entertaining than Mat pulling some lucky bullshit/generations of commanders out of his ass is when he gets so assblasted at getting his comeuppance that he turns inside out.
>>
>>52906956

Shit what was his name....Bain I think it was. Rhuharc was pretty awesome as well.
>>
>>52906294
>Until that one Aes Sedai showed up and put him in his place by pinching him whenever he was being an arrogant dick at least.

That chick didn't accomplish anything, really, except piss him off so much he almost became mass murderer.
>>
>>52906956
Surprisingly enough, Rand. Especially in the final books when he turns into Magic Jesus
>>
>>52907438
Oh, and Logain too. He was rad.
>>
>>52906956
Mat and Rand. Nynaeve was also cool after Lan dicked the bitch out of her.
>>
>>52904756
>Chad Thundercock strides in to your city, falls over a wall and eyefucks your sister (and heir)
>Training at magic whore tower and some skeletor looking kid fucks you AND your badass older brother over with a fucking STICK
>Side with the wrong bitch from the tower
>Make all around bad choices for years
>Complain CONSTANTLY and keep saying you'll get revenge on Chad Thundercock who is now actually Deep Dragon Dicking your sister
>Kill ONE assassin and think you're the man
>Take 10 fucking magic rings and use them all at once
>Still lose to a dude who never saw you coming, was busy casting meteors at the time, and constantly shouting about how all he wanted to do was kill the same Chad Thundercock you wanted to kill
>Die like a bitch, causing your waifu to die as well (actually not a bad thing)

Fucking Gawyn, man.
>>
>>52906820
>Spend all of your long life hating men
>Hate everything else too
>Are hated
>Bind men/get bound by Asha'Man
>Take the dick
>Infinitely happier
>>
>>52899692
Egwene and Gawyn.

Honourable mentions to Elayne (snobbish bitch), Cadsuane (typical Aes Sedai crap), and Elaida (being retardedly stupid).
>>
>>52903146
Everybody always made a big deal of "nobody has ever taken Tar Valon" but I don't really think it looks THAT hard to beseige. Just starve them out. Blockade the rivers, block the bridges, and just wait.

Am I missing something? The White Tower can't do shit unless they're actually in danger because of their oaths.
>>
>>52907687
I think being besieged might count as 'being in danger'.
>>
>>52907687
they can still use their magic to sneak suplies in without breaking their oath.

or just wait until their in danger of starving and then they can do what ever they want.
>>
>>52906264
Galad is literally standing there when said arbiter gives her judgement, and he nods in agreement at how impressively fair it is. He'd have popped a boner over the perfect legality and truth, if he wasn't such a pure virgin. Then when Perrin saves him later, he decides what his own ruling would be on punishment (since he had right of giving it), and it was basically "fight the Last Battle, and make sure we win".

It's the most bizarre, crazy enmity ever.

Granted, I think Galad probably figured it out when that Byar kid was so obviously unhinged, but it was implied that Byar had been under Graendal's Compulsion to exacerbate things.
>>
>>52906525
Would like to have known how Rhuarc managed to tame her so completely.
>>
>>52907719
No, they explicitly have to be in actual, personal danger of death/dismemberment for it to count.

When Mat and the Band were facing an army and a few Aes Sedai were with them, they had to deliberately stand out in front of the whole battle line and wait until the army was maybe 50 feet from them with no sign of stopping before they could suddenly use the One Power as a weapon. They comment that they can FEEL themselves in danger and the restrictions of the oath lifting right before they start throwing fireballs like candy canes.
>>
>>52907759

If I remember right its implied he found her in a highly compromising position sometime during the battle for the Stone of Tear and helped her out of it. They quickly developed a Father/Daughter type of relationship, and thus he would occasionally hold the information over her in the Aiel tradition of using shame as punishment. The combination of actually being mortified over whatever he'd seen and her respect for him as a father figure/worthy leader is what kept her acting normal around him.

One does wonder what could have so humiliated a woman who is pretty shameless about most scandalous things.
>>
It'll be a capeshit-esque shitfest.
>>
>>52907955
Probably the same stuff that even /d/ finds repulsive. You know what I'm talking about.
>>
Goddamn, I stopped reading that stuff years ago through Crossroads of Twilight. I can't even remember half of the characters nor even what the fuck was happening except it was starting to get political as fuck and it bored me. Should I try again? Shit was cash until the end of Winter's Heart (godfuckingdamn that war around the huge ter'angreal got me on the edge)
>>
>>52907787

Do you often throw candy canes?
>>
>>52908040
I'm a primary school teacher, so I tend to toss them at my students around November/December, yes. Usually in the last period of the day, so when they go home to their parents they're on a sugar high. Revenge for making me suffer through Parent-Teacher meetings.
>>
>>52893672
S'okay, TG, let's make a roll call. Let's go full utopian for this shit. I'll start

Padam Fain - John Malkovich
>>
>>52908035
book 11, Knife of Dreams, is much better than 9 or 10. The last 3 will really depending on what you thinking of Branden Sanderson as a writer
>>
I'm just now re-reading eye of the world, and I really love how Moiraine just doesn't give a single fuck about subtetly in the beginning. I mean, she isn't even trying to hide being an aes sedai. Ridiculously rich clothing? Check. Cryptic, mystical speeches about time and faces and names? Check. Literally handing out Tar Valon coins like candy? Check. I'm surprised even those village idiots don't know what's up immediately.

Also blasting that raven with a giant air-dildo without anyone noticing was awesome.
>>
>>52909172
Moiraine is almost best girl, surprisingly.
>>
>>52894389
>>52897317
>>52895034
*Sniffs*

*Lifts chin*
>>
>>52907687

Didn't Mat or an Aes Sedai basically go 'Actually Tar Valon got its shit wrecked repeatedly, they just covered up the fact later and eventually people forgot' in the one of the later books?
>>
>>52909684
Not Mat. It might have been either Siuan or Birgitte, both of them talked about a couple of times when generals made it further than official histories ever said. Nobody ever took the actual Tower itself though.
>>
>>52909110
Oh damn, he woukd do it well wouldn't.

Robbie Coltrane would do Loial well I reckon, the similarities between him and haggrid after all.
>>
>>
>>52911625

WHO MAKES THESE!?
>>
>>52911762
image search, filename, take your pick
>>
>>52893672
No way Sony can make a faithful adaptation, they'll have to cut whole books to make the project feasible. Granted cutting books 9-11 wouldn't be a great loss, but still.
>>
File: wheel_of_time_by_eluviel-d5muiey.jpg (136KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
wheel_of_time_by_eluviel-d5muiey.jpg
136KB, 1280x640px
>>
>>52911884
>that rod is built up as the best sa'angreal the Tower has
>last book it suddenly has the exact same flaw as Callandor about limiters to prevent too much Power use

You'd think it would have been mentioned earlier.
>>
>>
>>52907955
>One does wonder what could have so humiliated a woman who is pretty shameless about most scandalous things.

She was playing with dolls, making kissy kissy romance noises about Perrin, and Rhuarc walked in
>>
>>52911914

The last book was in such a rush to snip loose plot threads, it had to introduce a lot of random things.
>>
>>52906652
>Best Ajah
That's like asking who's the tallest midget. Anyways here are my thoughts on them
>Red
They have the most impact outside the tower, for better or for worse they're not just sitting around circlejerking about their own superiority. If you think about how dangerous guys like Logain and Taim would be without interference it's pretty clear they're a pretty vital Ajah to have around.
>Yellow
They heal people who come to the tower, that probably earns them a lot of goodwill.
>Green
Useless sluts, my brother and I both read these books and we'd always joke that women only want to join the Green for the reverse harem. Despite being a "battle Ajah" the Green sisters are never to be found anywhere that a battle is going on, borderlands suffering from yearly trolloc raids? Sorry Shienar, the Green Ajah is having it's male fashion show that day and can't make it. Two rivers under attack by shadowspawn? Don't worry Perrin the Red and the Brown Ajah have it covered.
>Brown Ajah
They accomplish a lot in the books, though very little of it seems to be related to the whole "gather knowledge" thing.
>Blue Ajah
They're supposed to fight for justice or whatever but between Siuane and Moraine they're basically the "support Rand" Ajah. Still not a bad thing to be all things considered.
>Gray Ajah
I forgot what they do and I can't think of any characters in this Ajah. I guess that makes them the worst by default.
>White Ajah
You can study philosophy without the one power, this is a wasted career path. Also their leader was the head of the Black Ajah and none of them ever figured that out despite supposedly being devoted to logic and reason.
>>
>>52893672
i hope the white walkers dont look too fake
>>
>>52907481
>not just picking Lan

*tugs braid*
>>
>>52913830
The grey were diplomats and court witches iirc, which makes some sense considering Tar Valon wants to be the UN of its locale.

Having both the grey and the blue seems redundant though, you really only need one deparment of idealism and external relations.

The White feel like they're there because the Tower is basically a university so you'd expect a few intellectuals that aren't just curators, but Jordan never gave much of a sense of what their day to day work is. If they were theorists of the One Power, that'd be cool, but nobody does any research in the age of everything's-gone-to-shit.
>>
>>52911836
Making a faithful adaptation wouldn't be a good idea to start with. A loose adapatation that picks a few characters and arcs to focus on could be a lot of fun.
>>
>>52909172
Moiraine and Thom pretending not to recognise each other on sight is also glorious.
>>
>>52914482

It'd be like Kissinger and May both coincidentally showing up to the same podunk PTA Christmas Party and not giving each other away.

>Moraine was probably a Thom fangirl back when she was a teen cairheinian nobellette
>He's pretty much a Game of Houses rockstar
>>
>>52914979
The whole subtext is just amazing.
>Moiraine made a small waving-away gesture. "None was perceived, Master Bard. And my name is simply Moiraine. I am indeed a stranger here, a traveler like yourself, far from home and alone. The world can be a dangerous place when one is a stranger."

Threat or warning?

Also, shouldn't Tam al Thor be able to recognise an Aies Sedai and her Warder?

>>52913830
>Blue Ajah

They are basically the Aies Sedai secret service. They have the largest network of eyes and ears.
>>
File: I like it Bryne.jpg (152KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
I like it Bryne.jpg
152KB, 500x625px
>>
>>
>>52898036
>>52901255
They have loving (consent given) intercourse with their warders. Except for Red ajah and maybe one other one I forgot about. Red=literally lesbo manhaters.
>>
>>
>>52916283
Pretty sure it's only the Greens who regularly bang their warders. The impression I generally got for other Aes Sedai was that they tended to have short-lived casual relationships, if that. But really, other Aes Sedai are the only other people they can approach as social equals, so a disproportionate amount of lesbianism makes a certain sense.
>>
>>52906369
I'd kill for a good WoT anime.

>>52905325
I loved Galad by the end of the series.
>>
>>52916392
While we are talking about harems, just how close did Aviendha and Elayne get?
>>
>>52916709
Super Pregnant.
>>
Come at me, warder!
>>
>>52899692
I forget what book i was at when i syopped (egwene just became head bitch)

But honestly rand was the character i ended up hating the most.

His bullshit just went on and on and every moment he got even slightly humbled were a treat.
>>
File: 1461979248924.jpg (73KB, 400x644px) Image search: [Google]
1461979248924.jpg
73KB, 400x644px
How would you adapt the Gholam /tg/?
>>
>>52917560

I too hated him for a long time, but in the end once he gets his head on straight he is absolutely glorious.
>>
>>52906956
Mat was always amazing because he was one of the only real competent people in the books and was hilarious half the time.
>>
>>52919417

Post book-3 Mat. And he did "suddenly serious" very well.

>what would you do if I took that collar off you?
>>
So Hollywood, a grouping of industries and companies that is ALREADY questionable as fuck at adaptione, to adapt a story so lengthy and so incredibly repetitive and full of idiocy that it's a fucking internet meme among fantasy readers?

It's like trusting a Shit Factory with churning out a sandwich you'll eat, but only if they use YOUR shit to make it; if it's not faithful chances are it will be bad, and if it IS faithful it will STILL be bad.
>>
>>52916392
Its implied that channelers have issues relating to non-channelers probably because their perceptions of the world are altered by the One Power.
>>
>>52919606
Well, also because they live for so much longer.
>>
File: 1445057023871.png (956KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1445057023871.png
956KB, 1024x724px
>>
As much shit as the gender dynamic in the books gets, I still like it.

At the end of everything, even with Jordan's peculiar outlook on women, the message is still the same. Men are women are different, but they need each other, and their strengths and weaknesses are complementary. Where one might fail, together they succeed. Even if the execution is a bit flawed, I still really like the message it conveys.

I also share Jordan's tsundere fetish, so that was a huge plus for me, where others might see a negative.
>>
>>52913830

>The person in charge of studying philosophy becomes the leader of the evil faction in the Tower
This really smooths my skirts
>>
>>52921467
I still don't get what is relevant about Degenesis.
>>
>>52899692
Suroth
>>
>>52906249
>She didn't even deserve it the way Mat did
Mat a good boy who dindu nuffin
>>
>>52906956
Mat is literally a metagamer. He just does it so well we love him for it.
>>
>>52915465
Thom wasn't her Warder at that point
>>
>>52893672
>Sony
>Crew that does exclusively live action
Ew, no. WoT needs to be animated. Preferably by someone who can emulate Bhakshi
>>
File: 1423896127979.gif (953KB, 330x300px) Image search: [Google]
1423896127979.gif
953KB, 330x300px
>>52893672
>TV adaptation
>Wheel of Time
>Rafe Judkins
>Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Stop ruining the things I care about, you fucking Jews!
>>
>>52922458
Would you have preferred an eight-part movie series starring Johnny Depp?
>>
>>52922305

Anon meant the 6-foot Malkiri Tam probably last saw in the borderlander contingent of the Blood Snow.

And for all we know he did- these people don't fanboy over each other when they see each other- Tam's still known by his reputation in Ghealdan and we wouldn't know it if it hadn't come up in a Perrin scene, by accident. The man's retired.
>>
Wasn't there a pilot episode of this that had Billy Zane?
>>
>>52913830
>They accomplish a lot in the books
Verin is technically Black Ajah after all, does she really count as Brown?
>>
>>52914221
>If they were theorists of the One Power, that'd be cool, but nobody does any research in the age of everything's-gone-to-shit.

They do try and research, I think. But the problem is that they just don't know a lot, and the Tower is so picky about recruiting and with so many failing that they have serious issues figuring things out. I think they comment to Nynaeve in Salidar at one point that they knew somebody in the White Ajah who experimented. She was sure she'd learned how to fly, and jumped off the top of the Tower to prove it and show off.

She went splat before anybody could realise what was happening and stop her.

Add to that how a lot of weaves are held in secret by the other Ajahs (in New Spring Moiraine learns a bunch of special new weaves that are Blue Ajah only, and realises that if the Blue has private weaves, the other Ajahs probably do as well), and they discourage sharing, and are continually backbiting, sniping, and in opposition to other Ajahs? And that most other channeling cultures have their own secrets and skills like the Sea Folk or Aiel or Seanchan? (I was never sure if Jordan was trying to make a point about this or not, given his general opinions and that the Tower is an all-female organisation.)

It's understandable that they don't get much done. The biggest real advancement that the White Tower has made was the Warder bond, which didn't exist in the AoL, and when Nynaeve managed to cure stilling/severing (and her five-weave healing, and curing madness), which also never existed in the AoL and utterly shocked literally everybody right on up to Rand himself.
>>
>>52915465
Isn't it implied that Tam did recognise them, and just didn't say anything because you don't get in the way of an Aes Sedai?
>>
>>52916392
Greens are known for lots of haremshit with their Warders, including fighting over who gets Warder aspirants first (fucking EVERYBODY wanted Galad), and generally slutting it around and liking men a lot more than the rest of the Ajahs.

Some other Ajahs also do bang or even occasionally marry their Warders, but it's rarer. Reds never do because they don't take Warders, although Logain bonded a couple and Pevara said that the Red Ajah was going to have to relax the restriction to bond men from the Black Tower.
>>
>>52919417
>reminder that Mat marries somebody who could learn to channel and only didn't because of cultural beliefs
>reminder that Artur Hawkwing had a good long talk with said wife about why their cultural beliefs were fucked up and wrong
>>
>>52927750
How does this reflect badly on Mat, exactly?
>>
>>52927717
>She was sure she'd learned how to fly, and jumped off the top of the Tower to prove it and show off.
Why didn't the dumbass just start small with like a 2m ledge.
>>
>>52927777
Woman.
>>
>>52927802
>*sniffs angrily and smooths skirt*
>>
>>52913972
I am actually not a big fan of Lan. Dunno why, he just wasn't appealing.
>>
>>52927777
Arrogance. Name one Aes that was about doing things slowly, testing things out and feeling the water.
And I will point you to one of the competent ones.
>>
>>52927678
Verin is pure Light.
>>
>>52899692
Dropped the series early in the second book because I didn't like any of them.
>>
>>52927883
>*tugs braid*
>>
>>52922305
I'm talking about rand's adoptive father in the first book. There is no way nobody at least told him about moiraine and lan, and he should be able to recognise them for that they are.
>>
>>52893672
>written for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Ugh.
>>
>>52929647
>*gets captured in an easily foreseen trap and then acts bitchy when rescued
>It's not like I wanted to be rescued! You men are all the same!
>>
>>52930593
>"I just don't understand women, Rand/Mat/Perrin clearly has it all figured out though"
>>
>>52930696
I liked that joke.
Thread posts: 191
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.