[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Books/Films That made you RPG better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 61QA2ffwWlL.jpg (68KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
61QA2ffwWlL.jpg
68KB, 324x500px
>What books, movies, etc. have elevated your gaming in some way as a player or GM?

My recommendation for /tg is The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombe (The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, and The Last Argument of Kings)

For me, I lost all my interest in fantasy as a genre a few years ago - I grew up with 3e D&D and never really liked it but it was the only real game my friends would play with very little exception. I was never huge on Mistborn or ASOIAF and never had much interest in Tolkien but I'd always go along and play my elves or sorcerers or elven sorcerers because I just enjoyed RPGs and didn't have a ton of options locally. By the time I got out of High School, I had more or less dropped TTRPGs entirely due to a lack of interest in playing one more swords-and-sorcery game.

About a year and a half ago I was in the book store and thumbing through things. I ended up picking up a used copy of The Blade Itself for two dollars in good condition - I had heard some good things about Abercrombe before and needed something to read on a plane ride. I got sucked in pretty hard.

The First Law trilogy rekindled my interest in fantasy as a genre. The setting wasn't particularly interesting, but that wasn't the point - the characters were the driving factor and how they interacted with one another was something I hadn't felt like I saw in other fantasy novels too often. All in all, it was an engaging, punchy fantasy novel with some grit.

After reading through the main three books, it inspired me to take a look again at fantasy RPGs, and I have been running a game for the past two years because of it.

Pic related, obviously. The audio books read by Steven Pacey are also literally the greatest.
>>
Steven Pacey's narration is indeed the best. I love the voices he does for Glokta and Gorst, and how their internal monologues differ so wildly from how they actually sound.
>>
>>52885746

Absolutely! I was really surprised how well he was able to ensure that all the characters had a distinct voice. Monza's voice is really excellent I think. One of the worst things about some audio books is when a male reader has horrible female voices, but Pacey is on point for sure.
>>
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
>>
>>52885961
I forgot about the Snake of Tallins! Yeah, his voice for her was great. Speaking of female voices (I wasn't sure from OP if you'd read any of the standalone novels), did you read Red Country? It's on my List, I just haven't made the time for it yet.
>>
>>52886040
Skip it. Pretend it doesn't exist.
>>
>>52886040
It's a fantasy western complete with dangerous outlaws and natives, a wagon train, a gold rush town etc. A little on the long side but still great.
>>
>>52886077
That bad, huh? I guess he couldn't keep up that sort of winning streak indefinitely. You have to be realistic about these things.
>>
>>52886040

I haven't yet, working my way through The Heroes at the moment. I've heard mostly good things about Red Country though. Did finish Best Served Cold like the day after I put down Kings though, haha.
>>
>>52886013
>Books
>Films
>HBDURRRBURRR IMA POST SOME MEDIOCRE CHINA CARTOON THAT'S HARDLY EVEN ABOUT THE TOPIC BEING DISCUSSED.

You are cancer, please leave the hobby and never come back.
>>
>>52886504
Oh hey he got one
>>
File: 'Bad Hand' is happy to see you.jpg (59KB, 377x312px) Image search: [Google]
'Bad Hand' is happy to see you.jpg
59KB, 377x312px
>>52885477
My motherlovin' NIGGA.

Abercrombie is probably my favourite author and Best Served Cold is hands down my favourite of his books. I've never seen better character development. The way he writes it, the reader rarely feels like the character has changed... they've only bit-by-bit been revealed as what they truly were underneath all this time.

If you want to portray a battle as a GM, or any sort of large scale conflict with a healthy dose of grim reality, The Heroes is exactly what you need.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.