[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FLGS and Prizes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: mtg-card-back.jpg (917KB, 1050x1500px) Image search: [Google]
mtg-card-back.jpg
917KB, 1050x1500px
Hey there, elegan/tg/entlement!

I recently started working at a game store in a small town.

The owner asked me to reach out and see how other stores in the world handle prize support for Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

In the past, we had been doing $5 entry fee and two packs per person was put into the prize pool. We did a casual payout so that everyone got at least one pack.

The problem we ran into was that the profit margins were so incredibly tiny that it wasn't feasible to continue this way.

We then switched to a store-credit system in which 50 percent of the pay-in was distributed as prize-payout to the top four players.

The problem with that is that new players got really discouraged because they didn't get a thing for participating.

What happy-medium exists out there?

>How does your store handle prize payout?
>What incentives does your store offer to newer players to continue playing when they get rofl-stomped by the established players?
>What prize payout system do you like?
>What's the worst system you've ever seen?

Thanks for any input you guys can offer!
>>
>>52879094
Don't sanctioned tournaments get prize support from Wizards?
>>
$5 entry split to top 8, but we got big turnouts
>>
>>52879117
just promos i thought for regular FNM
>>
>>52879117
Yes. Wizards has strict price and prize control for official events.
>>
I wish i could help but i dont even know how my lgs does prizes cause i never win
>>
The store I go to does the casual style of at least one pack per entrant, with more for the top four (up to five or six packs usually). The main thing about it is this shop seldom has standard tournaments, and rarely more than 12 entrants except for release events. It's almost always draft of some sort, with sealed or standard maybe once a month. Buy-in for standard is usually $7 (maybe $5, it's been quite a while), drafts are usually $15, $25-30 if it's for a masters set, and sealed is $25.

This store has been running for a solid few years now, though it's definitely a close-knit community of folk who also play a lot of DnD or Warhammer/X-Wing. Perhaps the 40k guys are the only ones keeping the thing afloat, who knows. The other store in town does more standard tourneys, but too many snot-nosed middle-schoolers go there for my taste. As it is, I think the store I go to has a pretty fair system. The community is really good about teaching good gameplay in a casual setting, so there have been a good handful of new faces turned regulars. If your store has a good community, everything else can fall right into place.

To answer the last question, the worst system I've seen was at the same store, for a MM draft. No one could agree on how to best handle the prize support so that no one got screwed, so the prize pool became a rare-redraft in placement order (everyone puts their rares in after the tourney). This had the benefit of ascertaining that nobody would rare-draft and drop, but unfortunately screwed anyone who pulled a Bob or a goyf unless they took top spot. Additionally, I don't recall any other prize packs being handed out. Maybe some were opened and added to the pool, but that's a detail I don't remember.
>>
>>52879094
Most stores really don't make anything on the tournaments based on the owners I've talked too. Some would even lose money on the tournaments solely to get customers in the store. In all honestly, if you are in smalltown, USA you guys are mostly screwed either way, it will only just barely stay in business. Best prize support I've seen is one that gives everyone a pack and winners get like 2 or 3 at 8 players, more if more players show. The big thing that might help even out those margins is if you sell drinks and snacks.
>>
>>52880828
>drinks and snacks
This. Bottles of water, cans of soda, and cheap candy sold at $1 a pop adds up if bought in bulk.
>>
>>52879094
My store alternates between pack-per-win and a 2 pack per person prize pool for top players. One week draft will be pack-per-win, and the next it will be 2 packs into prize pool. Standard is on an opposite schedule. Modern on Saturdays is always prize pool because if you have Modern you should have come to terms with scrubbing out already.
>>
>>52879094

why isn't your WPN contact giving you advice on this?
>>
My store does everyone goes home with a booster, plus 3 boosters between 1st and 2nd.

Our scene is very casual though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.