[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 16_screenshot_total_war_attila.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
16_screenshot_total_war_attila.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I'm just wondering, how do I make a strategic strategy game. Not like D&D or Warhammer, more like Total War but a board game.
>>
>>52872427
So, 5mm wargames with a shit ton of dudes? There are plenty.
>>
>>52872512
Not OP, but the Total War formula is made succesful by its "duality"
>Turn based empire management "Grand Strategy" on the map
>Whenever battles commence, you switch to real time battles
I imagine what OP is looking for is an "empire management" game. Imagine something like Risk, except every time you invade an enemy province you suddenly start playing Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
Here is how you make any game

>Have an idea
>Be more specific
>No be more specific
>Seriously, be more specific
>Okay now be more specific
>Add on another layer of specificity
>Test
>Test
>Test
>Test
>Done
>>
>>52872427
Look up tabletop wargames, since those are exactly what you are talking about.
>>
>>52872427

That sounds like Warmaster with the Mighty Empires campaign expansion.
>>
>>52879966
>Mighty Empires
That would have been cool if GW didn't go full retard and produce sprues for the Mighty Empires tiles and if anyone at all had ever fucking played Warmaster.
>>
>>52881009
Mighty Empires with printed cardboard hex tiles and wooden meeples like in most boutique board games these days would be legit.
>>
>>52872427

Why don't you go to Board Game Geek and see how other people have been doing it for over 50 years, you clueless fucking douchebag.

Look for publishers like Avalon Hill, SPI, XTR, Decision Games, GMT, GDW, Avalanche, and dozens of others.
>>
>>52872427
You mean a grand strategy game, or specifically like >>52875040 said where there's two "modes"?

Any large-scale battle simulation will be either extremely rudimentary on paper as opposed to a computer or impractically tedious and time-consuming to calculate turns for, you're better off sticking with CRPGs like Total War or Dominions if that's what you want out of your GS games.
>>
>>52872427
At the most basic, have a hex grid and units have 3 stats of move, offense and defence and flanking a unit grants a bonus or what have you. Flesh out as you like.
>>
>>52872427
1- Generally you should start with making a system and then add fluff. It's easier to test mechanics and balance over and over if there is no lore attached. Make the barest of barebones idea of your backstory and run from there. Something like what time period/tech level/magic level you want.
2- People have said it several times here but the key to Total War is real time tactical battles and turn based strategy. You will be limited to turn-based tactics and turn-based strategy. One of the hardest things here is how complex this will get and how long a game will take to play (probably months). You may be able to chew down the time if you simplify everything and make the game high lethality.
3- What scale is this? Are command groups made of single soldiers? Squads? Companies? Thousand man battlegroups?
4- Grid or no grid?
5- I mentioned complexity earlier, how much do you want? The more complex you make the game the more likely it will be that advanced strategy can be used, but the longer it will take.
6- Do you want randomness? Almost all systems have dice rolls, but you can make a game without them.
>>
>>52872427

I've been wrestling with this question on-and-off for about 10 years desu m8. Basically, you'd have to either abstract 50-75% of the PC game out of the /tg/ version, or like other people are saying, end up with something that takes way too long to play.
>>
>>52885954
Same here. I eventually realized that semi-structured collaborative worldbuilding is more fun and way more productive. You can ditch almost all of the rules for a simple GM has the final word system.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.