[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/GOG/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: GOG.com-logo.jpg (18KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
GOG.com-logo.jpg
18KB, 600x300px
https://www.gog.com

I know this is a /tg/ board and these are video games, but some of these games are as old as time. I really think they could help new players and GM's grasp design and thematic elements from old school RPG's.
>>
>>52868552
Who's pumped for the new Planescape? Think they will release the dialogue engine?
>>
>>52868552
>Getting inspiration from videogames
>Learning from videogames that use dumbed down P&P Mechanics

Let's be honest here. We probably all like classic roleplaying video games for bringing alive what we encounter in our mind when playing tabletop or pen & paper. But they do it on the most trivial and most railroading and simplest way possible.
>>
>>52868552
Great OP.
>>52869573
A vidya, while railroady, is a great way to get how something "should be".
If you are just interplanally punching stuff, you are doing Planescape wrong.

Also, while fun, don't use Dragonshard as a model for anything. Ever.
>>
>>52869573
dude
just... dude
What kind of retarded brain process did you use to think that we learn the MECHANICS?
Do you think vidyaz don't have a thing called LORE? Did you never want to steal a faction or two from Dominions?
>>
>>52869630
The problem with videogame lore is that it mostly follows the typical design goals of videogames. That means it's cut down to fit a whole storyarc with permanent progression into a single release. It also has to be open enough to be explored by the player while he progresses through the game making it generally shorter, easier to graps and well, dumbed down. Lot's of videogames also have power creep going on since the player is also permanently getting stronger and deeper actively involved in the lore.

I'm not saying that video game lore tend to be worse than lore used for classical roleplaying products. But it's definitely not as extensive. Except if they publish books, Comics or otherwise create the universe outside of the game. But at this point the actual videogame becomes irrelevant and the universe can be compared to every other work of written fiction.

So no, your favorite video games aren't an example of good lore, worldbuilding or anything else.
>>
>>52869695
I call bullshit.
Most RPGs vidya have a great deal of "background" world building.
The codices, and or weapons's histories tend to give a detailed setting, if you look for it.
>>
>>52869695
>The problem with videogame lore is that it mostly follows the typical design goals of videogames
That's not a bug, that's a feature.
Video game settings and lore are already designed from a game perspective. Everything is already streamlined to be presented in game challenge format. Hardly any conversion needs to take place.

>Either video game lore is not as extensive as other works of written fiction or it can be compared to every other work of written fiction.
Well, yeah.
You're not wrong, but can you see where you narrowed the possibilities there?
>>
>>52870669
>it can be compared to every other work of written fiction.
how can you compare it? its completely unlike any other work of fiction in that your character has agency.
>>
>>52870693
Anon was comparing how extensive the lore of certain video games that transcend into other media was versus how extensive the lore of other written fiction was.
>>
>>52871053
I don't know, sometimes sounds and visual cues give you more information than page upon page of dialogue.

Why describe something when I can simply show it to you?
>>
>>52871195
Because art, like prose, is a skill.
There is technical skill but there is also something else, an element of life which an artist bestows upon his creation.
You see it in the pixel art and the layered backgrounds, the time and energy spent in thoughtful contemplation of scenery and sprites shaped in perfect detail.

Dialogue can convey just as much information, but most of it is implied, left to the users own imagination.

All fiction nowadays is sprawling across several media, there is hardly any written lore which is considered exclusively literary.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.