[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragonborn breath attack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: arganianin_by_400004-d5295y1.jpg (134KB, 733x1089px) Image search: [Google]
arganianin_by_400004-d5295y1.jpg
134KB, 733x1089px
One of my players (5E) is a 4th lvl brasd Dragonborn eagle barbarian with great weapon mastery and he's been finding his breath weapon to be a bit underpowered thus far. The problem isn't so much with the damage, as it's a nice little AOE attack to throw out there at a group of goblins or whatnot, and since he can dash as his bonus action he can often get to the enemies first and change, say, a 10-turn battle into an 8-turn one.

His main gripe is with the consistency that you can use it. As a dragonborn, he feels like it should be accessible more frequently than just once per day, but I'm not sure how to go about this or how fair it'd be. One thought I had was changing it so it recharges one use after a short rest instead of a long one. Or possibly roll a d4 on a long rest and the result being how many uses he gets that day.

How could, and should I do this /tg/?
>>
>>52862897
A use per short rest sounds good to me.

Alternatively. You can give him one breath attack per level each day. Its up to him how many times he breaths per battle but once he is out he wont get them back after a long rest

It can also be one breath weapon per every two character levels if you feel one per level is to much
>>
>>52862897
Well, for starters, you should both read the fucking book.
Dragonborn breath weapon is already once per short/long rest.

If he's still not happy with that, two good options are to either let him retroactively switch his 4th ASI or feat for a feat that cuts his breath weapon recharge to 1d4 rounds, or just to tell him that he can have it be at-will if he gives up a d6 of damage.
>>
>>52862897
Breath attack is an encounter ability. Remind him that most creatures with breath attacks that are legit DRAGON DRAGONS have to roll to recharge.

Also, all scalies are cancer.
>>
>>52863044
Oops, my bad. I was just taking what he was telling me to be true since he reads through the handbook quite a bit during sessions. I think I'll offer him 1d4 as a feat. Also thinking it could add a constitution saving throw to any enemy that fails the initial dex saving throw and takes full damage to make them frightened for a number of turns.
>>
>>52862897
one per short rest, or on a d4 cooldown, like normal dragon breath weapons
>>
>>52862897
>believing players when they tell you something about their character
Man, I remember when I was like you. Then I found out that acid splash doesn't deal half damage on a successful save.
>>
>>52863512
Technically dragon breath weapons in 5e are Recharge (5-6), meaning: roll a d6 at the beginning of each round. If the result is a 5 or 6, then it recharges.
>>
>>52865405
Yeah, in fact that's supposed to be the Evoker's 10th-level class feature.
>>
>>52862897
they do recharge on a short rest but they are still rather underpowered. make it a bonus action (i see no reason why breathing fire out your mouth hinders your ability to swing your arms), give it some sort of extra effect (fear, damage over time, poisoned effect), or make it at will for a bit less damage.
>>52863154
never understood the hate for dragonborn. does /tg/ just instantly think anything even vaguely related to furries/scalies is suddenly fetish material. or is it just a meme to hate dragonborn?
>>
>>52863044
>>52863154
If only there was like, a big red line to tell you how often you can use an ability.
>>
>>52865583
I don't hate dragonborn but they're completely unnecessary because things like half-dragons already existed.
>>
>>52865608
Like what, in some sort of MMO?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

BTW, breath attack should be a bonus action
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.