[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 467
Thread images: 38

File: Zuggtmoy & Juiblex.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Zuggtmoy & Juiblex.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Make sure to fill out the official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52849499
>>
File: 1492578058652.jpg (133KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492578058652.jpg
133KB, 803x1000px
>>52858669
So was it wrong to not make paladins alignment dependant or have people had more fun and interesting paladins with the looser rules?
>>
>>52858712
Having more clearly defined Oaths rather than the vague as fuck alignment system was a great move.
>>
>>52858712
I don't think we ever used alignment in any of our games since AD&D. As far as I'm concerned, half my players clearly play evil characters that manage to do good more often than not.
Alingment is a limitation that adds nothing.
>>
>>52858712
No, it was not wrong at all. Moving away from alignments having any mechanical impact was a great move.
>>
>>52858784
if you don't know how to DM sure
>>
>>52858669
who knew Zuggtmoy was so qt
>>
>>52858780
That definitely helps instead of making more rely on the DM.

>>52858784
Understandable

>>52858799
It definitely opens up the field but the one issue I've noticed is no one wants to play the more classic paladin, in my experience. Most that I see run vengeance for the mechanical benefit and because they believe it lets them do whatever.
>>
alignment describes your character, it doesnt define them.
>>
>>52858857
Agree but you'd be surprised how many DMs and players get that mixed up.
>>
Trying to think of fun cleric concepts.

Would a Cleric of the Arcane Domain stack up at all to a fighter? Primarily through using Magic Initiate to gain Shillelagh and only boosting Wis and Spiritual Weapon. As far as I can tell, that'd result in 2d8+6 at 5th level. That's halfway respectable right?
>>
>>52858712
Paladins should be oath-dependent.
The tennets should be the ones that determine their restrictions.
>>
>>52858946
Going with booming blade and PAM is much better.
>>
>>52858955
>tfw all I've ever played is FR and Ravenloft so I'd be fine with anything
>>
>>52858835
Enlighten us, what does alignment actually add to the game?
>>
>>52859015
it lets the dm know if you should be kicked from the group if you're any of the following without the rest of the group being on board with your autism

>lawful evil
>neutral evil
>chaotic evil
>chaotic neutral
>>
>>52859003
>>52858673
If they're not even high tech, isn't there some sort of drawback, such as percepetion disadvantage?
Seems silly to have a racial drawback and then to negate it entirely with no issues unless 'someone ties to blind you' in which case you've probably just protected your eyes by wearing glasses and that's another positive
>>
>>52859080
That is to say, good sunglasses aren't just 'dark pieces of glass'.

Good sunglasses are made out of polarizers that are orientated specifically to tune out glare from certain sources, as light reflected off of the ground has a different polarization to light from the sun. Good sunglasses can, at best, allow in maybe 85% reflecting off of surfaces but only perhaps 50% directly from the sky in good conditions, at an estimate, and you could always reduce both those percentages.
>>
>>52859080
Cancels out your darkvision and makes everything dim light instead?
>>
File: velma-glasses_9456.jpg (72KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
velma-glasses_9456.jpg
72KB, 300x225px
>>52859080
The glasses can break or get knocked off, lost, stolen, etc

Are you telling me you don't want to see THIS in your campaign?
>>
>>52858784
I think I'm playing my alignment okay.

Lawful neutral totally good with leaving captured villagers on a boat because 'we have nothing to do with them'.

I'm trying to think of more fun ways to do LN. I remember that the Duke mentioned his taxes went up. Should I offer myself as an investigatory to help the city lower its taxes?
>>
>>52859015
There's two sorts of alignment.

Subjective (5e's core) and Objective (Setting specific, though there is this in FR)

Subjective just gives a quick and easy description of your character's moral disposition. If they're selfish or not, and how they are with societies.

Objective is 'God is watching you masturbate'. The DM can punish you for things nobody actually sees you doing, and doesn't have to send magical detectives after you every time you kill something, and can just say 'Yeah, the paladin can just SENSE the aura of evil around you.' It's a bit of a lazy approach, but it can make it so that there isn't some optimal personality of 'Will stab people in the back when they can 100% get away with it and murder people yet still be a completely and utterly mentally sound character when talking to people without even a hint of evil, and do good deeds' ... Which is bad roleplaying, but eh, I was just showing the extreme.
>>
>>52858946
You'd be jumping through a lot of hoops to do something that you're never going to be best at anyway. What's the point?
>>
>>52859176
But they function just as fine as any other drow without the glasses.
>>
File: dnd_editions.png (948KB, 680x1388px) Image search: [Google]
dnd_editions.png
948KB, 680x1388px
>>52858946
>Trying to think of fun cleric concepts.

I could, but they would be for 3.5, which actually had character options.
>>
File: tom01.jpg (85KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
tom01.jpg
85KB, 500x670px
https://strawpoll.com/rb3aag1

New poll, vote for which setting you want brought to 5e.
>>
File: 1492808221143.jpg (20KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
1492808221143.jpg
20KB, 300x320px
@52859232
No (you) for you 4ree shitposter
>>
>>52858946
Just play a cleric of Lliira or Sharess. They are fun
>>
>>52859295
It's a meme you dip
>>
>>52858712
It was. But no one played alignments right to begin with. Everyone wants their shitty holy warrior that acts like a violent hobo anyway, so give it to them; drop the alignment, drop the oaths, drop the tenets, and let this class pull holy magic out of its asshole like a fucking Sorcerer while it goes around smiting peasants for spare change.

Your lame and back-asswards attempts at justifying your shitty murderbanditry is just slowing down the game, Jeff. None of us are going to kick you out of the group or the party, so let's just get to the dungeon as quickly as possible.
>>
What do you guys think of a cleric who would get one language, int/wis/cha skill, or item proficiency every long rest and can use a bonus action to increase damage against undead by 1d4 radiant for a number of minutes equal to your wis mod which is used in increments of a minute. I think it might be a bit strong, maybe swap the proficiency for spare the dying at a bonus action.

Also what do you think of a warlock patron that gives access to sacred flame, divine favor, and guiding bolt as well as adding radiant damage equal to either cha, wis, or int (knowledge based patron) to attacks against undead.
>>
>>52859288
>only two votes for Mystara
Hey, fuck all y'all except one.
>>
>>52859232
I'm surprised your caregivers let you use the internet, let alone a computer. Seems kind of risky for someone with your level of dysfunction.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>52859328
> A forced meme
>Because an autist will shit up the thread arguing about how there isn't enough math and examples of DCs on everything

Shitposting is still shitposting
>>
File: bait.png (42KB, 249x284px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
42KB, 249x284px
>>52859232
>>
>>52859232
moldvay's D&D is pretty amazing tho
>>
>>52858847
The lack of alignment mechanical interaction goes beyond paladins, it's just that paladins are such an egregiously bad example of how to handle alignments in almost every way that it is the most obvious.

And oath of devotion is mechanically superior in most ways to oath of vengeance. On top of that the three subclasses UA has the oath of redemption which makes Lawful Stupid viable as a paladin concept.
>>
File: Paladin_x_Giant.png (7KB, 290x329px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin_x_Giant.png
7KB, 290x329px
>>52858847
New (to the hobby) player here, I wanted to play a Paladin for years so I'm loving Devotion to bits even though my character is NG. Alignment doesn't feel like it should cause problems there, so it's good.
Ancients is cool, too, but I wonder what it is that drives so many people to admittedly edgier options, besides BIG DEEPS. Vengeance seems to be very popular.
According to these threads, though, players in this edition either make their characters overbearing in regards to the Oath, give them moral myopia, or just... don't pay it a lot of mind? Which really confuses me; if you just want to kill shit good, why would you play a class that is all about the roleplaying baggage it brings?

It's mechanically good, and that's understandable, but I'm a bit baffled by what people seem to say is something common. What kind of person would want to play a roleplaying game and not put effort into the actual roleplaying? I'm specifically wondering about the kind of horror stories people here bring up sometimes.
>>
>>52859198
FR in 5e removed objective morality by order of Ao, the podcast talked about it a while ago. Clerics, Paladins, etc have no idea what is granting their magic anymore.
>>
>>52859198
Well, paladins and Clerics should follow objective alignment, since by oath their morality is tied to their patron/deity rather than the law (apart from oath of the crown shut up), but for everyone else subjective morality can suffice.
>>
>>52859418
>paladins are such an egregiously bad example of how to handle alignments in almost every way that it is the most obvious
Wrong, idiot. That would be Bards and Barbarians. Paladins got their magic from a fucking GOD taking a special interest in them and imbuing them with all sorts of sweet shit, and if you do anything to piss them off--including anything bad--your Paladin License gets fucking R E V O K E D. Clerics aren't even held to a standard that high.

If we're going to let Paladins be powered by good feelings instead of a specific divine entity, we might as well all play BECMI because that's what Mentzer did to Clerics.
>hello priest, who do you serve
>UH, WAR
>which war god?
>JUST WAR
>>
>>52858712
Oaths are how Paladins should always have been run.

Making it alignment-based was ridiculous, and making it deity-based was really limiting for people who wanted to play Paladins in any setting where the gods aren't literally proven to be there.
>>
>>52859460
>Ao did shit in a podcast
Which podcast? Why isn't this in a book?
>>
>>52859232
>moldvay
What's that?
>>
>>52859460
So you're saying all these objectivemorality guys complaining that people have been using good = selfless evil = selfish and that 'Lawful good doesn't mean nice, but neutral good means nice!' are actually wrong about 5e's main setting being objective morality?
>>
>>52859424
>I wanted to play a Paladin for years so I'm loving Devotion to bits even though my character is NG.

I see no problem with this, mostly because if the laws are unjust or cruel a paladin shouldn't be obligated to follow them.

>Ancients is cool, too, but I wonder what it is that drives so many people to admittedly edgier options, besides BIG DEEPS. Vengeance seems to be very popular.

From what I've seen and had to deal with a s a forever DM is they feel it gives them free reign to deus vult. Even if the thing they attack doesn't ping as evil, then bitch at me when after a warning IC they loose their powers or are forced to become an oath breaker. There's always an option of redemption but not following your oaths leads to consequences.

This is all based off my personal experience as a forever DM so I was asking to see if others had run into the same things or if it was just bad players.
>>
>>52859364
I love Mystara but it's easy enough to create based off of the current rules. Dark Sun would need a lot more work.
>>
>>52859495
>deity-based
when were they deity-based?
>>
>>52859495
If there's no gods in your setting the class works just fine running off alignment. All the alignment restriction was is a broad oath you can't argue your way out of.
People like oaths now because they can screech at the DM about how X or Y is technically in keeping with one of their tenets based on some tortured moral non-logic. Why even have 'em?

>>52859516
A guy who revised the rules of D&D for its successive boxed sets. Moldvay's interpretation is between Holmes' and Mentzer's
>>
>>52859560
Didn't 3.5 have options for them to be diety-based? With their whole "portfolio," system.

I just remember someone running a game but he said that deities weren't proven to be there, and as such he respectfully asked that no one play a cleric or paladin since he wanted us to be a bit distant from the whole "god-given magic," concept.

One of the players was pretty upset about it, but kept it to himself.

I'm just glad I don't play 3.5 anymore.
>>
>>52859560
Well, in FR, Paladins were given their "Calling" by Gods like a light switch being flipped in their heads. You could say your Paladin was "of Chauntea", Sune, Torm, Kossuth, or Helm, the same way a Cleric would. They might have belonged to knightly orders on top of that, but those were almost always an order associated with the broader church of a given God.
>>
>>52859369
>you don't like D&D 5e which is just the most masterfully-crafted D&D edition, using amazing new mechanics like Background that have totally never been used before in every RPG in the past 20 years, bounded accuracy done over-the-top to try to recreate AD&D to pander to grognards who don't even look at Dungeons and Dragons anymore, and make the worst. ability. score. improvement. system. ever., then you are mentally ill.
>>
>>52859495
>Oaths are how Paladins should always have been run.

>t. edgelord who wants to play a CE """""paladin'""""" because he is a special snowflake who doesn't play by anyone else's rules
>>
>>52859608
ASIs are just a feature, not something your character is entitled to, otherwise it's not really any different to proficiency bonus. I don't know why everybody needs their attribute scores to grow all the time if they decide ASIs are too boring and want some fun feat instead.
>>
>>52859591
>god-given magic
>as opposed to all that arcane magic that 24yo wizards are tooooooootally studying for in-between all the stupid bullshit they do
bullshit
at least godmagic makes sense
>be a cleric
>do some good deeds, earn XP for quest completion
>god rewards you with more power whether or not you were casting magic or just beating shit with a mace
>be a wizard
>do some good deeds, earn XP for quest completion
>the only thing you cast that whole time was CROSSBOW BOLT but you still gained a new spell level
>>
How do I Battlerager? Or is irredeemable as an Archetype?
>>
>>52859624
this
>>
File: Dark Sun.jpg (185KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Sun.jpg
185KB, 894x894px
>>52859288
I'm glad to see that there's a consensus on which setting is the best
>>
>>52859364
>I'm the only person who voted for Birthright

It's like you faggots don't enjoy fun.
>>
>>52859480
Exactly. And Paladins of Grummsh will rape, pillage and slain absolutely everyone, including their own clergy.
>>
>>52859724
Eberron?
>>
/5eg/ what is your favorite and least favorite class to play
>>
>>52859651
>ASIs are just a feature, not something your character is entitled to,

That's not even close to the point. The point is that you start out with scores between 15 and 8, array-wise, then get +2 from your race then +2 every few levels up til 20th, but ability scores hard cap at 20.

It's like setting out a stepstool and jumping off of it in a low ceilinged room. Then moving your stepstool and jumping again. Also all characters end up with the same fucking stats by the end, which reduces this game's character customization even more.

>inb4 "wahhh if you don't like 5e don't play it"

3rd Ed sucks and no one wants to play it, and Pathinfinder is even worse.
>>
>>52859624
What's funny is that I can understand and see the point behind your critique, but either pre- or post-Oath, I pretty much always played Paladins as good-guy fantasy cops/investigators just trying to make the lives of people around them a little more bearable by getting rid of the bad monsters and rehabilitating what cultists he could arrest.
>>
>>52859780
Mystic
Bard
>>
>>52859811
Then play a Lawful Good paladin like they have been for years. Just because your DM is a shit who comes up with random reasons to "make" you fall, doesn't mean the Paladin is a flawed concept.
>>
>>52859780
>Most
Rogue
>Least
Druid
>>
>>52859780
>favorite
Bard

>least favorite
Wizard
>>
>>52859820
You misunderstand me.

Before Oaths, I played Lawful Good Paladins. Post-Oaths, I am going to use an Oath that's basically the same thing (I haven't played a 5e game yet, unfortunately).

But just because that's how I play Paladins doesn't mean that's how everyone needs to play Paladins. Different strokes for different folks, dude. If it's not destroying your game, then let people play the way they want to play.
>>
>>52859198
>Which is bad roleplaying, but eh, I was just showing the extreme.
Sounds like a personal problem.

>>52859480
War is a valid concept for a cleric to serve. They'd probably still know the name of their local war god, as well as any nearby equivalents. And paladins do get power from their feelings, though 4E's version of an investment of power was ok too. 4E's fallen paladins kept their powers as they could not be revoked, but would make a dire enemy of the church that invested them in the first place.

>>52859527
Objective-morality-anon has always been wrong, subjectively.

>>52859591
>I'm just glad I don't play 3.5 anymore.
A perfectly reasonable response.

>>52859608
You don't have to like every bit of 5E, but you are obviously mentally ill.

>>52859797
The ability scores cap so you don't have to keep raising the one score, and can branch out into other abilities at higher levels. The range is small so you can also get away with branching out into other abilities at lower levels.
>>
>>52859780
To play? Favorite is Druid and least is probably Paladin.

I enjoy the type of spells Druids gain access to and they've been my favorite class since 2e. Nature magic guy is fun and Ranger is my second favorite.

Paladins are just literally unplayable to me. Everything about their flavor, abilities and spells is unappealing. I don't like playing burst damage characters that much anyway though.
>>
At what level should I let my PCs get mechs if I'm trying to gun for a Dragonmech game? I'm so far letting large and bigger monsters start awakening and attacking several villages, and soon cities.
>>
>>52859746
Paladins had to be LG, which means the only Gods who could raise them up were within "one step" of the alignment (LG, LN, and NG) with a few exceptions (Sune: CG, Kossuth: TN but since he had three aspects you were of the NG one).
>>
>>52859797
So, the problem is just you don't like the value the numbers are at.

Considering you need at least 2 ASIs to get one stat to 20 and many people tend to detour for feats, even at level 11 (which most campaigns have ended by this point) not everybody has 20 in a stat, and at level 7 nobody has 20 in a stat.

Just because you can't have a massive ASI means jack shit. Everything else had their attribute scores lowered too so it's more meaningful rather than just big numbers everywhere.

Everybody starting limited by 15 in the non-rolling-variants (the best variants) is a good point, but honestly the only way to counteract this would be to let people sacrifice stats for feats at level 1 so they don't start with 15 before racials anyway.
And even then, you have humans who'll start with at most 16 in a stat and then other races who'll start with at most 17 in a stat and then sometimes you'll get fuckers who just have 14 or 15 in the stats because they're up to some fuckery.
>>
>>52859288
I want a gladiator setting. Tell me what to vote for if I want to be a gladiator
>>
>>52859911
Dark Sun.
>>
>>52858847

There's literally nothing wrong with people deciding to play the mechanically much weaker semi-paladins rather than the Oath of Devotion, which is mechanically by far the best.

There is also the fact that many DMs are punitive and cruel about the Oath of Devotion, or rather, classic paladins as well, however.
>>
Important to remember that Anti-paladins have been a thing since 1e with the Githyanki Knights.

As old as Gish.
>>
>>52859911
That would be Dark Sun, mostly.
>>
File: why_malcolm.png (45KB, 248x185px) Image search: [Google]
why_malcolm.png
45KB, 248x185px
>>52859852
>Different strokes for different folks, dude.

Yeah, totally dude! Let's just make wizards prepare spells by sucking their dicks! It's not the kind of character that I would play, but it's not up to ME what they put in the book, which should be made for EVERYONE'S enjoyment.
>>
File: darksunglad.gif (40KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
darksunglad.gif
40KB, 640x400px
>>52859911
Dark Sun
>>
>>52859905
>people never roll for stats
>the game wants low numbers but gives more ASI points in total than any previous edition
>most campaigns end before hitting double-digit levels, therefore the game doesn't have to work past level 10
>>
>>52859911
n-thing Dark Sun.

It was actually a class back in 2e days, with it's own "Complete book of"
>>
>>52859885
Why Gruumsh the god of destruction, mayhem and strife lacks the power to imbue one of his worshippers with, you know, powers to cause destruction, mayhem and strife? Only like two, maybe three deities were ever Lawful Good to start with. Why Corellon or Pelor can have paladins, if they both aren't even lawful?
>>
>>52859938
Page 99.
>>
File: 1466651946405.jpg (36KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
1466651946405.jpg
36KB, 313x313px
>>52859938
>stop liking what i don't like
>>
>>52859866
>Personal problem
It's a valid, general point.

Without objective morality and letting people play whatever they want, the objectively most munchkinned out and 'best' character is the character that does all the evil things when nobody is looking because there will be no consequences unless the DM really gets off of their ass.

For example, you're out in the middle of nowhere with your friend, alone, and they have lots of magical loot. Soon after this you two will part ways and return to where you came from, but nobody knows where you lot are or expects you back at any time, and unless the DM is being an absolute dick nobody's constantly scrying on you.

So you stab them in the back and take all their magical loot they got from the last dungeon.
Nobody else knows they got all that magical loot from the last dungeon unless they got on their sending stone and told everybody about it and then sent detectives out to find out why this person now has those items and that person is missing (Buried in the dirt somewhere).
And, okay, if they roleplayed their character well this wouldn't be a problem, because such a character would let evidence slip that they're the sort of person who'd do that to their friend. But they're not officially required to do that at all.

But as long as you don't play with certain sorts of players this is not often really a proper problem, and most things can be punished by society without god staring at everybody 24/7.
>>
What does an optimized cleric look like?
>>
>>52860017
A wizard
>>
>>52860017
Cleric is probably one of the most boring things to optimize. Everything's just generally okay, there's no outstandingly 'the best' options except for UA bullshit like forge.
>>
File: 1492880916643.jpg (70KB, 963x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1492880916643.jpg
70KB, 963x1010px
>>52860043
>>
I have a druid 10 sorcerer 1, how do I optimize my spells to fight dragons
>>
>>52860008
There are still magical ways to track down a missing person, if anyone cared, and there's really no way for anyone to know if a human is evil or not by scanning them anymore, and even if there were (sprites), there's no telling why that human is evil, so it doesn't have any meaning.

Finally, there is no natural punishment in life for "being evil". That's why good and lawful people have to act and make laws. In death, your punishment is going to a place where everyone is just like you and have been doing it much longer than you have.
>>
>>52859977
Because Paladins don't cause destruction, mayhem, and strife. If you want to be an anti-Paladin, there's... Anti-Paladins, and Blackguards.

>Only like two, maybe three deities were ever Lawful Good to start with
Nigga I just explained the one step rule.
>>
>>52860104
>druid 10 sorcerer 1
>being a munchkin
>>
>>52859981
What exactly on page 99 are you referring to?
>>
>>52859998
>if the book doesn't let me play something I like that directly contradicts what that entire class is about, pissing off an entire fanbase, then I am going to whine and scream autistically on 4chan and post on my tumblr about how the game is oppressing me.

Homebrew it. Isn't that the fucking rallying cry of this edition? You want to do some retarded shit in your basement with other faggots who are on board with it, go ahead. But the game shouldn't be pandering to your crap. Mearls should not have been allowed to take the reigns of 5e and I seriously hope he gets a brain melanoma soon, so that someone competent can take over.
>>
>>52860108
No rule is safe from the Golden Rule. So, your rule, is no rule at all. Tell me why a deity of awfulness wouldn't imbue a champion with his awfulness juice? Oh yeah, he totally would.
>>
>>52860108
5e just combines them into the same base class. Paladin and Anti-Paladin.
>>
>>52860174
I'm planning to take more faggot. I just prioritized Druid
>>
>>52860181
SORCERER!
>>
>>52860181
PHB.
A bad joke.
>>
>>52860202
NIGGA I JUST SAID THEY COULD DO THAT
Do you have proficiency in Reading or what

>>52860208
That's fine, but it completely gutted the stakes, challenge, and moral / divine mechanics of being a Paladin.
>>
>>52860106
>There are still magical ways to track down a missing person
Yes, which means the DM has to justify a long array of magical tracking means like.. I'm honestly not sure how you find the body buried in the middle of nowhere, because there's no 'find object' spell, and then use 'speak with dead'.
They have to have all sorts of magical 'anti-murderhobo' devices hanging around everywhere to do that.

There's no natural punishment in our lives for doing evil, but there's such a rigidly set up society that if we do do evil then it can potentially come back to us, and we as people have a mentality that makes it hard to just stab everybody that a character doesn't have.
A character can stab a fictional character with a lot less remorse than you or me should hopefully have stabbing somebody.
And, you know, the DM doesn't always want to have to simulate a complicated law system and have all the players sit through trials and all that. It's a fantasy world where you go about doing things, not Ace Attorney or Sherlock Holmes. And it's not like an 'evil aura' is a massively strict punishment, and there's no way to hide it. The main thing it does is really have gods tell their clerics off for being dicks.

Going to hell for being evil is an objective alignment trait (I mean, somebody has to judge you, and they're the objective measure) and barely affects gameplay considering that's only after the character dies.
>>
File: Julia_Wicker[1].jpg (93KB, 698x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Julia_Wicker[1].jpg
93KB, 698x1008px
>>52860202
A proper evil god would put his awful juice into anything with high enough charisma.
>>
>>52860233
No. I'm a 3.5 Barbarian, I can't read.
>>
>>52859288
What's the difference between Planescape and Spelljammer?
>>
>>52860223
>>52860215
He doesn't prepare spells, though. I am talking about an exact equal to what I described. A wizard who prepares spells by sucking his dick. That is no different than a lawful good paladin, and by the logic of the dumb-ass libertarian shit /tg/ endorses with every other post, there is NO reason it should not be in the player's handbook. Therefore I expect to see it in the next UA.
>>
>>52860197
Would say its more likely the majority of the fan base don't give a shit because required alignment Lawful Good or following the tenets of the Oath of Devotion mean the same thing at the end of the day.
>>
>>52860293
>he thinks the Oaths are anywhere near as strict as OG Paladin laws
doh ho ho ho ho
>>
>>52860274
Planescape is the metaphysical assumption of a multiverse of many planes and demiplanes all interconnected by a wheel or axis that keeps them all in balance.
Spelljammer is sci-fi meets fantasy. It's D&D in space.
>>
>>52860197
You want him to get skin cancer on his brain?
>>
>>52860325
He's that much butthurt.
>>
Anyone know if any of the current books or previous ones from older editions got random encounter tables for Faerun?
>>
>>52860249
There can be extra-judicial actions taken against a cold-blooded murderer too. You don't have to bring up charges. You can just go try and get revenge. That's why I said "act".
>>
>>52860104
In all seriousness I'm not a munchkin I just have only taken one level of sorcerer at this point and plan to take at least 4 more
>>
>>52860313
>Spelljammer is sci-fi meets fantasy
Back in the 80s and 90s we just called that fantasy. It was already D&D's default form.
>O'Neill cylinders in Might and Magic
>laser guns and TIE fighters in Ultima
>crashed spaceships in the main D&D setting
>the whole of Barsoom
If your fantasy novel or game didn't have ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY propping everything up behind the scenes, you were doing it wrong. One day we're gonna find Tolkien's lost manuscripts and find out that Manwe is a robot who 01110011011000010110111001100111 the universe into being and Aule is his sentient 3D printer.
>>
>Group isn't allowing feats
>Literally everyone else is playing a martial
>>
>>52860233
Personally I'd say that it depends on your oath.
A traditional D&D Paladin would be the Oath of Devotion, and have to obey their strictures just as firmly as they would have to hold their alignment in previous editions.

The consequences of breaking your oath is left up to the DM's discretion. For example you could give them disadvantage on their paladin abilities until they get atonement, or just render them unable to use their abilities.

They mention that unrepentant fallen Paladins could be forced to change class.

This is a personal feeling though, so I can understand you disliking how they handled it.
>>
>>52860384
I don't often say this but
That is the wrong fucking way to play D&D
>>
>>52860367
Nah, it's less like the barrier peaks, and more like pirates in space.

In sailing ships.
>>
>>52860293
>>52860302
Paladins were fine the way they were. Your argument is the equivalent of pic related.
>>
>>52860386
The Paladin was never good. In 2nd he was shit, in 3.xxx he is atrocious, in 4th he was solid until the other PHBs got out, and in 5th he's not living up to the martial/healer premise. He's a shit. He was always a shit, and he will never stop being a shit. At least, he's not the Ranger. If you wanna be LG, be LG. If you wanna be LG and still be a badass, don't be a paladin. The class cannot live up to any expectation without multiclassing, which completely defuses the purpose of the class at all.
>>
>>52860431
That second post is saying the change was bad.

>>52860454
>martial/healer premise
The same cucks who screeched for the removal of alignment and any meaningful Paladin restrictions are the ones constantly playing up the Warcraft-esque CRUSADER XD meme where Paladins are supposed to be running around shooting holy lightning out of their ass and smiting everything because they're real hardasses and it doesn't matter if you're evil or good because smiting you serves the GREATER Good somehow but don't think about it.
>>
>>52860454
What are you talking about? Paladins are good in 5e. One of the stronger classes overall in fact.
>>
Oathbreaker paladin with magic initiate for hex and a couple useful ranged cantrips

How strong would this be?
>>
>>52860431
Except Oath of Devotion exists so the nothing is forcing you to do anything new. A better analogy would be someone offering the old brand or some new brands of coffee and the customer throwing a fit and saying that because the new brands now exist that somehow makes the old brand shit now.
>>
>>52860508
That's not how WoWarcraft paladins work. One paladin did that. He fell. And they are healers. D&D paladins are different.
>>52860454
And 5E's paladins don't suck. They're pretty good if we're being honest.
>>
>>52860349
Then they're not lawful characters, because they're not entirely sure that this person is the murderer or if they are they need to put them through court first.

So, you'd need a more chaotic vigilante type to just so happen to be related to the person killed.
>>
Anyone else /secretlymagicalrealming/ here? Inflation is my fetish and I popped an adult black dragon like a water balloon.
>>
>>52860554
Good and lawful are separate things, just as acting and making laws are separate things. They are four separate things. It is not one Lawful Good character hunting down every secretly evil PC in the game. Lawful people make laws to stop evil (if they care about that). Good people have to act in order to stop evil. This is not some new or foreign concept. Except to Objectively-wrong-morality-anon, perhaps.
>>
>>52860540
>That's not how WoWarcraft paladins work.
Great joke, but everyone's played WoW.
>>
>>52860558
Dwarves are my fetish and no one will ever know.
>>
>>52860540
Yes he is a pretty good tank.
>>
>>52860558
I have a thing for powerful, sexy evil girls so I make most of the high-ranking baddies those.

Luckily my players think I'm just doing it to please them.
>>
>>52860604
No one takes Ret paladins seriously. It's been a long time since I consorted with demons and rode around on a flaming horse though.
>>
>>52860554
If a lawful good character knows who committed a crime, then they can mete out the punishment themselves if there's a good reason to. For example, if they know the courts are corrupt and justice would not properly served, then they would not be acting out of alignment to take justice into their own hands.

If you want to go by Gygaxian standards, you don't even need a good reason. Appropriately punishing evil was pretty much always a lawful good act by his standards.
>>
>>52860558
>I popped an adult black dragon like a water balloon.
What? Going to need an explanation
>>
>>52860695
It is a tenmant of the 3.5. Smiting evil, always good, damn the consequences.
>>
What does the warlock/bard build look like?
>>
>>52860695
A lot of people fail to realize that Lawful includes both "following the (local) law" and "following a (personal) code", and when those two disagree, picking just one is still Lawful.

>>52860722
You missed the "appropriate" part. There are times when smiting is definitely not LG. You need to let the villain put his pants on and say goodbye to his children, and your smiting must be quick and efficient, not slow and torturous.
>>
>>52860743
>there are times when smiting evil is definitely not LG
So wrong it hurts.
>>
>>52860695
>>52860603
The problem really is just that you're not going to find them in the first place if they're doing shit in a dungeon or whatever.

Every willing-to-do-evil character is essentially a psychopath, because players don't have time to get PTSD over every little thing they kill, yet that psychopath is fine with being a perfectly normal human being outside of that. They're just 'A good person, except when they need to be evil'.
That's all objective morality is stopping, the 'Do we kill this guy and take his shit or do the good thing and leave him here?' and give a reason to do the good thing other than 'Because my character is good'.

Though honestly I think it's better if the DM can make things work without that. It's a bit of a crutch, but sometimes if you don't want overcomplicated games full of murderhobos when you don't trust the players entirely it can do a thing.
Before it descends into 'okay, paladins detect evil all the bad guys and smite them'
>>
>>52860773
After you promise the Evil King safe passage if he surrendered, for example.
>>
Is adding 1d4 magical damage to a eldritch knight bonded weapon broken? He can only change the type by bonding with it again.
>>
>>52860773
Executing petty thieves, for example, might be overkill. A simple maiming would be a sufficient "smite" for such criminals.
>>
>>52860732
A musician who sold his sole to the devil to get super fucking good at music and got some freaky ass powers from th dealing because they're customary
>>
>>52859064
>Lawful evil
>Wrong
Lawful evil is one of the few evil alignments that, by definition, does get in everyone's way and fuck with the game. A paladin who follows his oath to the point of holding back the party may as well be lawful evil.
>>
>>52860826
It's giving him 2.5-10 extra damage a round for no real reason. EK is fine and better then Purple Dragon Knight, Champion and has more options then Battlemaster.

Hell when you get your Cantrip and Attack ability you're getting more damage then any other fighter all day long until the 3rd attack.
>>
>>52860866
>does
I meant doesn't. Lawful evil doesn't get in the way. Think businessman who takes joy in firing people. All the evil he does is in line with systems that already exist, and he isn't seeking upheaval.
>>
>>52860773
>villainous necromancer is in the middle of making love to his lawfully-wedded wife for the purposes of procreation
>you leap out of the ceiling, blast his naked body out of the bed with a bolt of holy thunder
Sneak attacks definitely aren't Paladinly
>you slash his cock off
Evil
>before it can even go limp on the floor you're stringing him up with a garrote and promising to flay the flesh from his still-living bones as vengeance for all his misdeeds
Evil
>his wife is screaming, horrified
>you begin to threaten bloody silence to his strumpet when his eldest daughter busts in to see what's wrong
Not Evil, but rude
>BEHOLD THE WAGES OF SIN you scream as you slam her father's face into the wall and grate the flesh off against the rough-hewn stone
Evil
>leaving the villain in a bloody heap, you grab his completely innocent wife and daughter and execute them in front of him while shouting THUS TO ALL ENEMIES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
Evil
>>
Are there any monk archetypes you'd suggest for a high seas game?
>>
>>52860891
Depending on how evil the necromancer was, none of that may be evil at all besides the last one obviously.
>>
>>52860773
nigga how the fuck would the Oath of Vengeance work, with it usually demoting you to neutral due to your willingness to sacrifice purity over smiting evil, if smiting evil is always LG?
>>
>>52860325
>>52860335

As much as I agree with the sentiment that this man is, in fact, rectally ravaged, the brain is actually one of the first places melanoma spreads too, and also the most deadly.
>>
>>52861005
Sun Soul could be used as artillery against other ships.

Kensai can take a Longbow as one of their Kensai Weapons so they can hit people 300ft away.

Shadow can teleport onto boats but only if there's a shady patch.
>>
Can I get a link to that Unearthed Arcana Codex that one dude made?
>>
>>52861006
Incorrect. People don't get to torture you for free once you've passed some threshold of dickishness. Torture is always evil, regardless of who it's done to.
>>
>>52860891
>THUS TO ALL ENEMIES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
>>
Just rolled for the beholder's pets who the party will face with the beholder in his inner sanctum

2 ropers and FOUR chimeras

This is gonna be fun
>>
>>52861081
Are you going to use Bugle chips as the roper minis?
>>
>>52861034
There's nothing contradictory about playing a Lawful Good vengeance paladin.
>>
What silly things have you or your players done when blinded by magic item greed?

One of my players saw a magical sword and Dashed and misty stepped to get as close as possible (so ~100ft. away from his friends).

Proceeded to get paralyzed and then taken on the critical hit carousel by a squad of hobgoblins.

Hobgoblins hit HARD by the way. 2d8+1+4d6 when they crit
>>
>>52860891
I couldn't help smirking at the last two, especially the CAPS LOCK.
>>
>>52861107
Ropers are large, bugles are not. Sounds cool but it just wouldn't be accurate enough for me
>>
>>52861107
I don't use minis. First my players will know of the ropers is when two of them are suspended 25ft. off the ground

They are gonna be butt mad when they get disadvantage on the Disintegration ray dexterity saving throw
>>
>>52860891
YEAH! JUSTEEZ!

>>52861005
open fist
>>
>>52861116
>"Holy shit! A magic sword! It could be anything! It could be a sword of plus one! Or it could be a CURSED sword of plus one!"

I do not understand why players would put themselves in danger for loot until they're level 11 and loot comes in actual flavors of powerful.
>>
>>52861111
That's true, but the typical vengeance paladin is neutral.
>>
File: IMG_0998.png (421KB, 853x455px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0998.png
421KB, 853x455px
>>52861125
>start thinking "what's so bad about be holders they're just floating Balls of with lots of eyes and some rays"

>mfw I forgot about decentigeation ray
>>
>>52861145
To be fair it was a flame tongue, but it was still fun to roll all those damage dice. He was lucky he had stoneskin
>>
>>52860384
Fighter with GWM is hands down unmanagabeable from a DM perspective. As soon as they get hasted they're playing -5+10 DPR rocket tag and wearing the AC/HP/Saving throw bonuses to force everything else to also be throwing nukes to be a threat.

Poor monkfu, rangerbb, etc. get shit on. Certain martials and martial hybrids just don't get FIGHTER martial that makes certain feats nuts.
Sniper feat with archery fighting style can get even worse.

DMing for adventuring days, using saving throws properly (a huge number of overlooked +7 dex saving throws on 12 dex creatures), and challenging the caster with concentration checks is far easier to manage than a Fighter one-rounding dragons.

Since they are described "Optional" I just make it simple- for me, the DM who has to put in twice the effort of any player- NO FEATS. Fighter still comes out as one of the best 5e classes.
>>
>>52861145
Whats not to get, people like getting shiny new toys. Even a +1 weapon is pretty noticeable upgrade.
>>
File: all paladins have middle names.png (2MB, 1000x1375px) Image search: [Google]
all paladins have middle names.png
2MB, 1000x1375px
>>52861072
>>
>>52861164
>forgot about disintegration ray

I think you forgot about petrification ray, death ray, paralyzing ray and sleep ray too.

And thanks to Volo's we can get beholders with different rays like chain lightning ray, banishment ray, FEEBLEMIND ray, otto's irresistible dance ray, wall of force ray

its crazy
>>
File: 1326436293976.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1326436293976.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>52861172
>>
>>52861164
>decentigeation
They also have petrify and death ray, although I guess they are a bit easier to come back from
>>
>>52861197
As a this player disentigration is the bane of my existance
>>
>>52861070
We're talking about objective morality. There is an actual threshold of dickishness which you can pass whereby you become Evil. Evil creatures do not deserve respect or mercy.

That said, I agree that dragging it out is distasteful. A swift execution is generally preferable.
>>
>>52860712
>fighting a black dragon asshole who's been trying to cause a nearby town to collapse into civil war, and has already had two of us tortured. she's several CR above us
>cleric is down, wizard is almost down, paladin and me (rogue) are hurt but still able to fight
>dragon flies in to bite/claw
>wizard goes down
>check inventory for something useful
>eversmoking bottle, pitons, gold, 11 pellets of used dust of dryness, thieves' tools, crowbar, etc.
>remember a story i read on giantitp somewhere
>take out the dust of dryness
>DM is eying me carefully, probably already figured it out
>i get my owl familiar (long story) and tell him, "Fly into the dragon's mouth and put one pellet down. When I send the mental signal put another down. Keep the rest dry in this bag until I tell you to. Good luck buddy."
>paladin is confused. "What are you doing?"
>dragon flies in again
>owl flies down her throat
>"Well, thank you for the snack," she chuckles with a bitchass cruel smile
>"You might find this morsel a to be a bit much even for you, Your Majesty" I reply smugly (she insisted on being called a queen)
>"First pellet."
>dragon's stomach swells and a gush of water goes out her mouth
>"What?" she exclaims
>"I now have you completely at my mercy, Queen Elinwilluwither. If you want to live, get on the ground and surrender."
>"If you think your cheap parlor tricks will frighten me, then I have a demonstration for you!"
>Flies down and sprays acid on us
>our turns, don't manage to do much damage
>"Two more pellets."
>Dragon's body fills up and she gets too heavy to fly. She can only slow her fall.
>tell her "Last chance. Do you want to surrender, or die?"
>she howls a string of curses in Draconic and tries to vomit up the water. DM rolls. He tells me she coughs hard but can't get the water out
1/2
>>
>>52861230
2/2

>paladin approaches her, places his sword to her throat. "Do you accept his mercy, scum?"
>she starts clawing and biting him, scores a crit and he falls unconscious
>Say in my smuggest voice, "Looks like you'll be going out with a bang, Your Majesty!" I wink at her playfully
>"ALL of the pellets."
>DM laughs
I wrote down every word of his speech for... later purposes. Other guys thought I was just recording one of my triumphs.

>"As you send the signal to your familiar, you see Elinwilluwither eyes widen, and then everything slows to a crawl. A slow, terrible roar, like an earthquake, builds from the direction of the dragon queen. Immediately, a huge geyser of water shoots out her mouth.
>"But her mouth isn't a big enough hole for all the water to escape from. Instants later, her stomach, already strained from your previous doses, blasts apart. And the water just continues to shoot faster. In what seems like hours, her tail and her legs explode.
>"Her neck and head is the last piece of her body still intact, and even it looks like it won't be much longer. You look into her eyes and see pure agony--easily exceeding what she put you through. Before you know it, her whole head shoots off like a rocket. It blasts over you and lands in a tree.
>"Of her body, not much is left. It's been scattered all over the marsh. Aside from her head, it doesn't look like there's a chunk of flesh larger than a fist.
>"Your friends are lying unconscious, with specks of dragon viscera upon them."

We ended up meeting her mate. When he saw what had happened to her, he was horrified, and begged us to spare him. We did--he hadn't done anything bad that we knew about, and it'd be handy to have a dragon as your friend. We took most of her horde, but left him a sizable chunk to get rid of any remaining ill will.
>>
>>52861224
>We're talking about objective morality
Yes, we are, and under objective morality
AN EVIL ACT IS ALWAYS EVIL REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU DO IT TO
It is never Good to shoot someone in the back out of nowhere, be they a righteous Paladin, a true neutral Druid minding his own business, or the Dread Lich Fuckyalla. It is always Evil to torture someone. Even demons should be allowed to finish their consensual congress and faced on the field of battle fairly if you're a truly just Paladude.
>nyeeeeh but that puts me at a disadvantage, the demon is way stronger when he's paying attention and has all his spells and weapons ready
No shit, that's why you're playing a Paladin and not a Sharpshooter Assassin with poisoned bolts.
>>
>>52860882
The reason is to make their attack more magical and bond weapon more purpose.
>>
>>52861230
You can only smash one pellet with an Action and it requires a hard surface so where is the hard surface inside a dragon
>>
Can you eat your way out of a gelatinous cube if you have acid immunity?
>>
>>52861307
>themostimportantquestion.jpg

get on twitter this one needs answered ASAP
>>
>>52861307
Well, after a while of being trapped you would start shitting out gelatin, unless you shit into a pipe that led out of the cube.
>>
>>52861260
Oh, forgot. Wizard claimed her head as a trophy.

>>52861306
Really? Huh, I thought (and the DM did too) that they reverted if you put them into water again.
>>
>>52861306
The palette of their mouth which they rake their scaled tongue across to create the sparks which ignite the aerosolized gas they spew from a specialized organ which produces a flammable liquid an--
>black dragon
Oh, no, that owl's just fucked.
>>
>>52861275
Paladins don't shoot people in the back because they're paladins, not because they're good. It isn't good to make people suffer, though. Shooting people during Congress is something you only really do if you're chaotic though, another non-paladiny thing. But not evil.
>>
>>52861307
Ignoring any side effects of eating gelatinous cube that's been sliding around on dungeon floors for who knows how long, I doubt it.

A) You still would need to find a way to breathe. B) Eating yourself out of something is hilarious but realistically no one can eat their body weight in a reasonable amount of time. You woul dspend days in the cube, eating, stopping when his stomach is full, shitting IN THE CUBE, and then continuing to eat. Even then you might die from lack of nutrition.
>>
>>52861307
This is a fetish thing isn't it Anon?
>>
>>52861342
>>52861389
maybe
>>
>>52861380
I'm sure the cube is very clean. That's what they're there for, after all. Definitely someone's fetish though.
>>
>>52861342
That's just propulsion.
>>
>>52861357
And that was already covered. >>52860891
>>
>>52861275
>AN EVIL ACT IS ALWAYS EVIL REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU DO IT TO

Wrong. Murder is perfectly Good if you do it to Evil creatures.

>It is always Evil to torture someone

Wrong, unless you're willing to argue that giving a thief a public lashing is Evil.

>Even demons should be allowed to finish their consensual congress and faced on the field of battle fairly

Wrong, there is literally never a wrong time to purge demons. They're literal manifestations of Evil and every moment of their presence on the material plane is a grave injustice.

You're mixing up Law and Good. Honor is a notion of Law, not Good. A Chaotic or Neutral Good creature could backstab the shit out of an Evil creature and be acting completely within alignment.
>>
>>52861430
>Wrong, unless you're willing to argue that giving a thief a public lashing is Evil.
You can deliver lashings but you have to espouse that this hurts you more than it hurts the criminal and it helps to cry as you do so. Under no circumstances should you enjoy it.
>>
>>52861345
Nope, read their description. Additionally, your familiar would be killed instantly by the heat and pressure from the dragon's gullet.
>>
>>52861457
See it now. Wonder where we both got the same incorrect idea from.

And my familiar died when he dumped them all in
>>
>>52861430
Lashings aren't torture, slaying orcs (and even things that aren't Always Evil monsters) in battle isn't murder, and demons still have rights.

And I'll say it again because a lot of people have trouble wrapping their heads around this:
Killing something to death != murder
>>
>>52861457
I don't know why you're still taking someone's literal fetish-post seriously.

>>52861469
I'm sure you were all just caught up in the moment.
>>
>>52861352
The owl went down the throat. If the owl stayed in the mouth it would get killed by a bite or acid breath. If the owl crushed a pellet in the mouth it would simply come out the mouth
>>
>>52861478
It's just ridiculous
>>
>>52861469
>Wonder where we both got the same incorrect idea from.
Maybe because other stories like this one have this happen without them being broken against a hard surface (like that giantitp one)

>>52861478
Whole table was laughing when the DM described what happened to her. "Blown the fuck out" "not out, up!" is what I remember
>>
File: Reddit.png (41KB, 842x375px) Image search: [Google]
Reddit.png
41KB, 842x375px
>>52859288
This is what Reddit wants in terms of settings
>>
>>52858669
Why do DMs let their players use Wild Shape, Polymorph, or True Polymorph without the play actually acting like that animal for the time? They should be going off to do bear things, or dragon things. I'm tired of watching Shit DMs let their players use this.
>>
>>52861531
Maybe the pellet was broken on impact with the dragonforce. It's pretty hard.

>No apologies. Only memes.
>>
>>52861558
Dragonforce?
>>
>>52861552
>Decades of books for Eberron.
Oh, Reddit.
>>
>>52861565
It's a meme ya dip
>>
>>52861565
A dragon's ki.
>>
File: Darksiders-0.jpg (125KB, 800x606px) Image search: [Google]
Darksiders-0.jpg
125KB, 800x606px
Hosted a 5e 1shot today "Horror at Havel's Cross" with 6 fellow anons from /tg/ and it was a succes, so you are hereby invited to the discord for the next session of my drop-in/out style campaigns with the next one most likely being on Sunday 7 may 19:00 CEST

More info & keep up to date on the discord: https://discord.gg/82FzbCK
>>
>>52861565
A very hard metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i7qZxICwgQ
>>
>>52858712
I like going LN or LE.
>>
>>52861555
Wild Shape lets you keep your mental scores

Polymorph and True Polymorph let you keep your alignment and personality. Depending on the animal (an ape has 6 int for example) you could retain control
>>
>>52861574
Yeah, I got that. Wasn't sure what it was though.

>>52861576
I like that! When I discuss the session with my DM I'll raise that as a possible explanation.

>>52861595
Kek, thanks for explaining.
>>
>>52861476
>Lashings aren't torture

You better define torture quickly, because you just opened the door for all sorts of vile capital punishments.

>slaying orcs (and even things that aren't Always Evil monsters) in battle isn't murder
>Killing something to death != murder

Okay, so killing in self-defense is not Evil. Is execution Evil? Define the difference between murder, execution, and killing, if you would.

>demons still have rights

No, they fucking don't.
>>
>>52859480
Except paladins got their power from themselves, and had class features that were based entirely on meta-information because of the alignment interactions.
>>
>>52861614
Just say the owl crushed the pellets in its beak, that's a decently hard surface.
>>
The one shot today was terrible and you shouldn't join.

(It actually went surprisingly well and I will likely join again next time)
>>
File: Deekin_portrait.jpg (25KB, 256x400px) Image search: [Google]
Deekin_portrait.jpg
25KB, 256x400px
Excuse me but best kobold npc coming through.
>>
>>52861595
>tfw the worst princess metal band is all people know about because they got into Guitar Hero a couple times
>>
>>52859499
It was the "lore you should know" section of the Dragon Talk podcast. It is basically the only reason to listen to the podcast at all.
>>
>>52861643
Sounds good. I half-expect the DM will just say something like "it was a funny, clever way to end that arc, and the details aren't important."
>>
>>52861666
These niggers need to write that shit down then.
>>
>>52861643
>Noctowl used water gun.
>It's supereffective
>Black dragon was defeated

I'm more okay with this than I should be.
>>
>>52861661
Sorry anon, Pun-Pun is the best kobold NPC.
>>
>>52861643
Then the owl would have died from 424.7 liters of water in its mouth
>>
>>52861721
Don't say that.

You'll only make his penis harder.
>>
>>52861693
Most powerful, sure. Best? You saw Deekin, anon.
>>
>>52861741
>You'll only make his penis harder.
Nah, I like seeing bad guys die, not my friends. A big part of muh fetish is them getting their comeuppance. Elinwilluwither tortured us, had dozens of innocents killed just to get to us (because we'd shown them kindness), and even when I offered her mercy she chose to try and kill one last one of us instead. Her explodingafter that was the perfect answer to all my hatred of her.
>>
OLD TESTAMENT PALADINS GET OUT
REAL PALADINS ARE NEW TESTAMENT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52859780
>Favorite
Paladin

>least favorite
Ranger
>>
>>52861571
I don't disagree with wanting a "New" setting. Anything that's a new setting I've see so far is 3rd party. And settings don't really fit in Wizard's release schedule at all.
>>
>>52859780

> Favorite

Wizard

> Least

Paladin
>>
>>52861822
Everyone knows that if you want to go Old Testament on people, you need to play a Druid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5rN-jlaw
>>
>>52861822
>Old Testament Paladin

Ooh, Oath of the Nazirite?

Tenants could include abstaining from alcohol and grapes, never touching corpses or the dead (makes fighting undead fun) and of course, never cutting your hair.
>>
Tell me /tg/, is it wrong as a DM I'm tempted to give my PCs a construct kid who will be basically a Vivi expy?

Including him dying of natural causes and there's nothing they could do?
>>
>>52861679
It's more an inside peek to the lore they have decided for 5e. I am never going to read the books, so I don't know what all has been mentioned.

It came up twice, because they spoke about the re-sundering of Aber and Toril and once more when they talked about Warlock pacts. Ao ruled the deities can no longer directly influence the material world because they keep fucking things up, and they said that there isn't any reason an extremely powerful individual couldn't become a false deity and that warlocks pacts can be as small-fry of fiends as a hag and doesn't require signing a contract with a high ranking devil or anything.
>>
>>52861928
Sacrifice foreskins every week or lose your powers.
i know that's not how it went but c'mon, the edgy paladins would be all over "but DM, i HAVE to cut their dicks off!"
>>
>>52861868
I understand wanting a new setting. Just feeling old, I guess. I remember when Eberron was brand new.
>>
>>52861957
I never got to play eberron. I'm working on reading some of the Fluff so I can run a game in 5E. When I was playing 3.5 a lot I always assumed it was a lot more steampunk than it really was. Or at least the parts of Eberron that I've read about currently.

It's a pretty good setting that I never got to explore.
>>
>>52861693
>Misread that as "Puri-Puri"
>Puri-Puri the Kobold
A singing, eastern... kobold bard?
>>
Rolled 3 (1d10)

hmm
>>
>>52861977
Yeah, it's not really steampunk, per se, but pulp action and adventure. Which is sometimes going to be steampunk after all.
>>
>>52861986
A cute eastern female kobald that's a bard. Constantly is adored by party due to overwhelming adorable moments.
>>
>>52861950
Circumcision is already a spell.

The Coming of Age version of Ceremony
>>
Say, how much would it cost to buy an airship?
More than 20000 I think.
>>
Went Oath of Crown LN and let someone burn alive. I didn't want to go save someone who I explained that it would be stupid to do so when the odds are against them and they are willingly going to get themselves killed.

Was I wrong to do so?
>>
>>52862094
Depends a lot on the setting's tech level and how the airship works.
>>
>>52862094
DMG suggests 20000 for an airship. Not a terribly large one though. 10 crew, 20 passengers, 1ton of cargo.
>>
>>52862125
You are under no obligation to save people.
>>
File: boats.png (293KB, 637x285px) Image search: [Google]
boats.png
293KB, 637x285px
>>52862094
I'd assume so. Depends on setting though
>>
>>52862125
You had no obligation to save someone who purposefully put themselves in harms way.
>>
>>52862094
Well, that's exactly the price the DMG has.
>>
>>52861081
The best idea that came out of D&D in ages.
>>
>>52862127
>>52862152
>>52862157
>>52862175

It's Faerûn, where this things are known to exist and are basic magic+boat+blimp.

But being so useful, I think the DM will ask for more, and now we will travel further.
>>
Stat me, /5eg/
>>
Is there any system for "converting" levels in a class to another?
>>
Whats something an evil sentient star does to those who witness it's light?

It can't be destroy them, because I have an evil empire trying to harness the power of the star, which they live under.
>>
>>52862254
Not that I know of. I think you just have to talk it out with your DM.
>>
>>52862250
All standard furries are just Guardinals and have been statted.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/leonal.htm
>>
>>52862267
Corrupts them, drives them insane, fills their mind with such wonder and devotion that they drop their livelihoods to go live in a cave with a bunch of other nutjobs and form a cult, etc
>>
>>52862267
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Markers
>>
File: StayInPathfinderGeneral.jpg (2MB, 2550x3301px) Image search: [Google]
StayInPathfinderGeneral.jpg
2MB, 2550x3301px
>>52862289
Statted Kitsunes for 5E When?
>>
>>52862343
toryah, fayah, misshon compree!
>>
>>52862292
Corruption seems a bit obvious, plus the emperor of the empire is like a Darkseid expy. He's not the type to be corrupted but to corrupt others.
>>
>>52862267
Fills them with such energy and happiness that they become addicted to the light.
>>
>>52862267
Honestly kind of human nature to try and harness power for ones own purpose.
>>
>>52862051
Sheckelstein pls go
>>
>>52862366
Well from his perspective he might not see himself as corrupted, merely "enlightened" by the star's light.

Or you can just imagine he has such high wisdom/charisma that he has some resistance to it but also recognizes it's ability over common people and uses that to his advantage.
>>
>>52861947
I'd imagine that the only hag you could be a warlock of would be a Grandmother i.e. as powerful as a fey monarch
>>
File: Zorg.jpg (100KB, 906x409px) Image search: [Google]
Zorg.jpg
100KB, 906x409px
>>52862267
>Whats something an evil sentient star does to those who witness it's light?
Make threatening phone calls.
>>
>>52862267
Depends on the evil star.

Caiphon, the Dream Whisperer, for example would increase the amount of prophets and seers in the empire. The people would start listening to them following their commands, and start making cults.
In the end, each seer would start turning on the others, proclaiming them false prophets of Caiphon. The empire would be riven with civil war as the cults start tearing apart guilds, cities, and families.
Mothers slay their children for listening to the wrong prophet. Priests are lynched for speaking blasphemy. The Emperor's children each seize their followers and form their own cults devoted to the Violet Flame in the ruins of cities.

This would probably take decades though to progress all the way.

Nihal, the Serpent Star, will start slowly, the empire will start trading with scaled races, especially the Yuan-Ti. They'll start slowly, just selling slaves at first, but as the corruption spreads, the snake men will take over more and more of the Empire's duties.
>>
>>52861260
>that whole death scene
Jesus, you really did a number on her. That's a pretty horrible way to go--especially with her head being the last part to explode, so she could feel it the whole time. You should have just ended her suffer--
>black dragon
Even for a black, that's really brutal. Over the lin--
>>52861794
>Elinwilluwither...had dozens of innocents killed just to get to us
Nope, she deserved every ounce of that
>>
when if at all do you add this to your game
>>
>>52862267
Offers them power. If they decline it sends its minions. If they accept they gain power but are under the control of the star
>>
>>52862476
When you want to randomly fuck over the players.
>>
What's the best oath out of the three basic PHB ones?
>>
>>52862476
If it rolls on random treasure table
>>
>>52862500
define "best".
For me best is the one who's tenets I'd enjoy playing most.
>>
>>52862500
Daily reminder that Stormwind's fallacy isn't actually a fallacy.
>>
>>52862343
Arcanodaemon tieflings would quite reasonably resemble kitsunes.
>>
>>52862476
When you decide 'You know what, my game DOESN'T make sense, and I want to reflect that by putting in a deck that can undo all of creation and giving it to some depressed emo cunt.'
>>
>>52862564
>Arcanodaemon tieflings
Can arcanaloths even sire children with mortals? I know Shemeska (the writer) says they can have sex, but they do for politics (perhaps once in a while for pleasure), not procreation.
>>
>>52862500
The one you'd have the most fun playing as.
>>
>>52862571
This. I gave the party a modified Bag of Beans instead, it's just as fun but less story-destroying.
>>
>>52862571
>undo all of creation
>its a card deck that might help you gain a level or it might rip your soul from your body and imprison it somewhere

Wut?
>>
>>52862612
>have a bunch of children to do your bidding
>not politics
>>
>>52862624
>Implying the universe doesn't revolve around the PCs.
>>
>>52862476
When I say fuck it and deem the campaign unsalvageable and add this along with a zombie plague virus.
>>
>>52862624
>It also allows you to undo one event in history
>>
>>52862636
That has practically never worked out well politically.
They already have tiers of underlings anyway.
>>
>>52862250
Wtf is it, a werelion?
>STR TWENTY-FIVE
>>
>>52862612

Sure, why not? It just says cambions are the offspring of mortals and fiends, and half fiends in 3e are pretty flexible in origin. I seem to recall there being tieflings for every fucking season in 2e as well, though perhaps I'm misremembering.
>>
I'm making an Eldritch Knight. What cantrips should I run? I was definitely going to go Booming Blade to discourage things from running away. What should the other one (3?) be?
>>
File: Slayer.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Slayer.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
So, I want to play a sort of Bloodborne Hunter in the next game my group is setting up. I toyed around with a Fighter or Barbarian, and with the Monster Slayer Ranger from UA.

Then another player pointed me to the Blood Hunter Class... and /another/ player pointed me away from the Blood Hunter Class and toward the Slayer.

Has anyone actually used this? It looks like an improved, stripped down Blood Hunter, but I'm wary of the whole "Warlock Half-Caster" thing it's got going, and the subclasses look a little weird (dragoon, really?).
>>
>>52862741
And as a furry tiefling, when you're burned at the stake it's double-justified!
>>
>>52862447
Yeah, I probably would have just coup de grace'd her as she was helpless if she hadn't killed those people. Or not, because I was thinking with my dick and wanted to see an evil bitch explode
>>
>>52861260
>We ended up meeting her mate.
Did they have any eggs?
>>
>>52862765
The elemental evil cantrips are pretty neat.
Light can be useful.
Message, mending and minor illusion have potential uses.
Stuff like prestidigitation are mostly fluff, though I guess if you push really hard you can find a use.
Green flame blade is a good idea if you plan to be using booming blade a lot, since you're gauranteed to get the secondary effect on use.
You don't need the attack cantrips unless you think chill touch will really help you out by stopping a creature's healing.
>>
>>52862766
Hahaha, this is some unbalanced tryhard garbage and then some.
>>
>>52862765
>I'm making an Eldritch Knight. What cantrips should I run? I was definitely going to go Booming Blade to discourage things from running away. What should the other one (3?) be?
Green Flame Blade is amazing once you have War Magic.
>>
>>52862518
>>52862547
>>52862621

Basically the answer I was hoping for. I will for sure be able to decide on my own which to pick, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be getting gimped TOO hard picking the "wrong" one. If they're all mechanically sound though, that only leaves it up to roleplaying.
Thank you!
>>
>>52862817
>Hahaha, this is some unbalanced tryhard garbage and then some.
Not worth it, then? I'm not the best with mechanics, but I thought it looked better than the Blood Hunter.

Would I be better off as a Monster Slayer Ranger?
>>
>>52862802
Yes, two eggs, and a wyrmling. We left them all alone.

The paladin gave the little wyrmling a speech, after calming him down. It went something like this. "When you get older, you'll have to make choices about how you want to live your life. It'll be easy to use your strength to push people around and make them do what they want, or kill them if you're bored. But you shouldn't do these things. It's wrong. You should use your power to protect the weak and stop other people who are doing those bad things."

"We killed your mom because she was doing some very bad things and was going to keep doing them unless someone stopped her. You don't have to be like her." Seemed to inspire him.
>>
File: Alfred P.jpg (7KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred P.jpg
7KB, 194x260px
>>52862766
You know the easy way to tell if a homebrew is shit? (I know, almost all of them are shit)
It's when they already have a shit-ton of features by 5th level. It's a sure sign that some asshat is trying to cram in the features of at least 2-3 classes into his Uber Class.
>Early Warlock casting
>second attack at 5th
>Fighter's fighting style
>d10 for hit points (this is frankly the most offensive)
>hey let's add evasion to a class with good armor and hit points, why not!
>>
Solo campaign using all the books about Faerun and the GM emulator and going full on monster hunter/witcher, good or bad idea if I have the itch for 5E but no one to play with?
>>
>>52862913
Hey if your DM will allow you to play that crap, go for it.
It's preposterously unbalanced.
>>
>>52862564
What would their powers be? I'm thinking about having a villain in my game be one.
>>
File: Dalek_explain.gif (268KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
Dalek_explain.gif
268KB, 160x160px
>>52862966
>the GM emulator
>>
>>52862966
Have you tried Skyrim?
Seriously.
There's a lot of good solo Vidya.
>>
>>52862701
Cambions are essentially the perfect underling for a fiend. They are infinitely more likely to be trustworthy than one of your own kind; esp if using the Planescape lore, which paints them as, despite being the supreme puppetmasters of the multiverse, are bafflingly unreliable.

Yugoloths are fully capable of killing other yugoloths, and do so all the fuckin time. Whereas there really isn't much a cambion can do to you directly, but they have a trivially easy time pwning most humanoids in the game.
>>
>>52858669
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf
So, out of curiosity - I'm not going totally bonkers when I say that UA's been seriously going downhill, right?

I mean, these feats are all pretty boring, but they're leagues ahead of garbage like the Mystic, which made me want to go back in time and slap my younger self for complaining about the shortcomings of the Artificer class.

And before that we had shit like the Lore Master and Theurgist, the indulgent mess that was the Warlock playtest material... I dunno, it feels like every subclass that's pretty okay (e.g. Drunken Master) is accompanied by 70% shit that would be laughed off the table if you brought it up normally.

Why are they so bad at learning lessons the core book understood perfectly well?
>>
>>52863055
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>52862766
I reviewed this before, but my problem was more that it didn't really offer anything new.

That's what I say about most homebrew, really.

Aside from all those features stuffed at the front (UA revised ranger is a bit frontloaded too) it.. I mean, what's so special about it? 'It's a warlock half-caster martialish thing' is all there really is to say. Why not be a warlock5/rogueX?
>>
Can I make my dual-wielding attack before my normal attacks as long as I do take the attack action?
>>
>>52863055
because when you're making up tabletop gaming rules on a mountain of money that is wizard's of the coast, you don't really have job pressure

you have pot session shoot-the-shit meetings and type something out before a deadline

don't get so hung up on it
>>
>>52863055
>garbage like the Mystic
I see the antipsionicfags are still around. How does it feel to know that the Mystic will be in the second PHB?
>>
>>52863055
The core book has plenty of bad archetypes, and a terrible core class (Ranger).
UA is just a sounding board/playtest for ideas.. The newest Feats are solid enough (I've been using a version of them for a good while).
Mystic was always going to be shit. Psionics are without exception shit when introduced into a magic-based game.

Game needs more spells above 1st level and more monsters at 9+CR, and not much else.
>>
>>52862961
>You know the easy way to tell if a homebrew is shit? (I know, almost all of them are shit)
>It's when they already have a shit-ton of features by 5th level. It's a sure sign that some asshat is trying to cram in the features of at least 2-3 classes into his Uber Class.
Not him, but uh, the Paladin has just as many features by 5th level. And gets the same hit dice, and heavy armor, and divine spellcasting.

I haven't read past 5th, but up until then this Slayer basically seems like every core book half-caster. 1d10 hit die, martial weapons, medium armor like a ranger.

Two 1st-level features, one directly combat-useful, one for fluff and exploration. At 2nd level it gets a Fighting Style, half-progression Spellcasting, and a damage bump. 3rd level is the subclass. 4th level is ASI. 5th level is Extra Attack.

Only thing that stands out as different is that it's a Warlock half-caster instead of a Cleric (Paladin) or... whatever the Ranger is a half-breed of.

You're sperging out over nothing. Let the guy try the class, the early levels look literally fine.
>>
>>52863120
When it's been tweaked and improved so it's not an unbalanced mess that can do everything? It'll feel okay.

I really think they just need to lock you into taking most of your disciplines into your own ones. Only getting 1-2 from other groups.

Also give the Soul Knife some of it's own.
>>
>>52862986
I'd go with Devil's Tongue and maybe Feral depending on class.

The iconic ability of 1e arcanodaemons was Burning Hands -- specifically, they hit hard by combining claw attacks with Burning Hands like a Sun monk. I rather like how Arcanodaemons combine Burning Hands + Claws and Yagnodaemons combine Shocking Grasp + Polearm Thingy attacks. Devastating by 1e standards.
>>
>>52863120
>How does it feel to know that the Mystic will be in the second PHB?
I meet it with the same indifference I've had for every other edition's needless addition of psionics.
>>
>>52863127
>Mystic was always going to be shit. Psionics are without exception shit when introduced into a magic-based game.
*sits down*
*inhales*
*leans back*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GET FUCKED
>>
>>52862961
>>52862979
Damn. I don't want to spoil the game if everyone else is using core/UA stuff, so I'll look at being a Barb or UA Ranger. Any recs for a Barb subclass that'd suit a Hunter/Werewolf?
>>
>>52863166
wolf totem
>>
>>52863146
Try playing one.
It not even close to what yo say it is.
It has the potential to, if you want to spend all your points into int, emulate another class at a lower level.
>>
>>52863166
Totem. Your rage is you turning into an animal form.
>>
>>52863104
>It's a warlock half-caster martialish thing' is all there really is to say. Why not be a warlock5/rogueX?

not to defend the actual homebrew, but the same could be said about druid/fighter or cleric/fighter instead of ranger and paladin. the idea of half-casters is so you get a compact kit with the things you want out of each of your character ideas, but without getting full of anything and then something else, new and unique for it.

a half-warlock would be an interesting idea, because it gives you something to interact with the warlock's pact magic but it needs to give itself some design space to be something new and not just a mismatch of goodstuff powers.
>>
Can Lay on Hands remove lycanthropy in the first three days since it functions to remove diseases?
>>
>>52863182
*you
*it
Fug.
>>
Is swashbuckler any good?
>>
>>52863120
>I see the antipsionicfags are still around. How does it feel to know that the Mystic will be in the second PHB?
I actually like psionics, though I'd personally have called them "spiritualists" and made the Monk one. Give them "spirit points" instead of ki points, then you've got the Monk (highly mobile, somewhat fragile close combat), the Mystic (blaster/utility guy with high spike capability), and some third class focused on support (Ardent?). Much more friendly to a variety of settings, and they can multiclass easily, just like spell-slot casters.

But setting that aside, the main issue is that the Mystic is this ungodly mishmash of about eight different classes, which has learned nothing from how 5e handles them. You shouldn't need to nickle-and-dime your way through 70+ power points. You shouldn't be able to build a pseudo-Barbarian werewolf and a fragile elementalist out of the same class. You shouldn't have to read existing spells written out as whole new powers.

The Mystic is busted because there's too much of it. Classes are divided up based on how they PLAY, not what their power source is or what specific kind of Hogwarts they went to. That's what subclasses are for.
>>
>>52863210
Yes.
>>
>>52863210
It works. Arcane Trickster is probably stronger, but Swashbuckler is good enough at what it's supposed to do. Really benefits from Booming Blade.
>>
>>52863193
as I DM I've always ruled Yes on this.

as a DM contemplating it now in terms of actual !fun! adventures I should have forced the specific magics of seeking a lesser/greater restoration spell, because 3 days is a damn good ticking clock to shape player drive and build tension.
>>
>>52863182
Combat isn't an issue, it's fine in combat and shit even if it does do some weird funky shit and stack with spells weird.

The big issue is the fact it can be proficient in every skill for a bonus action, turn into a microscopic form where it can spam talents and be near unkillable, use a version of mage amour that's just plain better and a bunch of weird shit like that.

It's damage is sub par but it's abilities are just too fucking weird and don't really fit in. I think it just needs some tweaking and some disciplines scraped but other then that it's good.
>>
>>52863182
i agree. it's discipline acquisition is pretty restrictive in the sense that it will take you a LOT of time to get every single interaction you want online, regardless of psi limit. you can't get tough hide, iron durability and mastery of force online for good AC until pretty late, and that still requires offensive options, while denying you of utility.

you can't get even a handful of your dedicated order disciplines without being left behind in every other department.

and in the end, they don't scale into epic levels at ALL. not having the equivalent to 6th+ level magic is huge compared to full casters, and not their built-in martial-like options don't really work together with each other. and no, pretending to have a million of 5th level spell slots is not enough to pull your ass while your wizard is casting forcecage or wish.
>>
>>52863232
>>52863234
Neato

Would it be worth drooping a level in fighter to grab duelist?
>>
>>52863239
I agree on Nomadic Mind, bit I don't see any problems with the rest.
Most of the cool stuff requires concentration, causing that when you play it, you can barely do shit.

You can get force armor and bestial form and iron durability on level 1 and be the caster equivalent of that fighter with no weapon and 30 AC.
>>
>>52863238
Thanks for your answer. How about ruling it that they player cannot be aware of whether they were afflicted or not, except OOC of course. If transformations only start after the 3rd day (I'm not sure if they do) and they have no in-character way of knowing about this (having studied lycanthropy/magic afflictions), then there is no reason for them to randomly cast it on themselves, except if they were afflicted by another disease or poison (in which case it would only remove that one, anyway).
>>
>>52863190
>a half-warlock would be an interesting idea, because it gives you something to interact with the warlock's pact magic but it needs to give itself some design space to be something new and not just a mismatch of goodstuff powers.
Reading on a bit further, I think this class actually does something with the Warlock half-casting. The low number of slots and the need to use them for its version of "Divine Smite" means you run out really soon - but it gives you a way of getting a few more slots each long rest, by reducing your max hit points.

So that's a pretty elegant way of making it easier to cast when you're injured, while also adding a gambling element to the whole thing. Later on, you autoheal when you cast, which makes it even better to cast when injured and even more of a gamble to do so. I'm not sure it's balanced, but it's an interesting idea. I can see what the guy was thinking, which is more than I can say for most homebrew.

That's more than the Warlock class itself did, really. Infuriates me no end to see how many of its spells just act like they belong to a regular caster, instead of a class that desperately needs scaling magic effects.
>>
>>52863185
>>52863177
Does the Totem actually get a werebeast form? I can't see that feature in the book, is it UA?
>>
>>52863115
No. PHB pp. 195 Two-Weapon Fighting
>>
>>52863190
To be fair, you're not awfully wrong on the ranger, really. The ranger really doesn't offer anything too unique.

The paladin is a different story. They have a different set of fluff, they have entirely different features, they use their resources in different ways and they have some key features nothing else can replicate such as aura of protection.
They also have spells that're vaguely unique-ish. They use their spell slots for smiting in combat, often, unlike a cleric or fighter or both and they have lay on hands as a resource as opposed to spell slots for healing, though they could pick up healing spells.
Flavour-wise, a cleric couldn't be mixed with a fighter to get a paladin because the paladins aren't tied to gods like clerics are. A sorcerer and a fighter together might work, however, though that's a little iffy.

Okay, to be fair, ranger does have a few interesting traits about it to set it aside such as AoE ranged attack spam (That neither druid nor fighter gets).
In terms of flavour, if your DM allows you to mix out some of the druid's restrictions then you can definitely make a druid/fighter essentially a ranger character.

.. But the point is, half-casters aren't supposed to be boring. That's a stupid idea. They're supposed to have some unique traits, some things that set them aside from either idea. IT's okay to take half of warlock's casting and mix it with fighteryness, but really the slayer only.. Adds damage to their attacks? Like rangers/barbs?
>>
>>52863294
>That's more than the Warlock class itself did, really. Infuriates me no end to see how many of its spells just act like they belong to a regular caster, instead of a class that desperately needs scaling magic effects.
The Warlock should have just filled the "Psion" role for 5e. Give them short rest power points like the monk, and let them cast spells using those. Keep invocations and Mystic Arcana.
>>
>>52863193
>>52863238

Oh and second question, does Divine Health make you immune to the starting stages of lycanthropy, thereby making it impossible for level 3+ paladins to become were-anythings at all?
>>
>>52863341
Sounds terrible. The warlock is a niche as hell class and shouldn't really be the model for, well, anything.

Psionic characters have been in the game long enough to merit their own class.
>>
>>52859928
Between Ancient's Aura of Warding and Vengeance's Vow of Enmity and 9th level Haste, it's hard to say that Devotion is mechanically much stronger.

Because it's not.
>>
File: Rangerwithowl[1].jpg (49KB, 502x700px) Image search: [Google]
Rangerwithowl[1].jpg
49KB, 502x700px
>>52863314
>To be fair, you're not awfully wrong on the ranger, really. The ranger really doesn't offer anything too unique.
I'd say the Ranger is probably meant to be a support/fighter class, they were just too afraid to step on other classes toes. It looks like whoever wrote the Ranger wasn't nearly as in love with the idea as the guy who wrote Paladins was in love with Paladins, and that's the heart of it.

Think about what Rangers in fiction do. They guide their friends through dangerous places, they know mysterious things like where to hit the monster for max damage or how to cure the magical poison, they can always find food and shelter and detect traps, they can always spot and set up ambushes, this that and the other. They're a safety net, basically. They're strategic buffers, just like clerics buff the party on a tactical level with spells.

The problem is that the core ranger doesn't really get that, so you end up with this mishmash of "weak druid and weaker fighter" with a few vague nods at earlier editions... and the UA version is just more of the same, with better numbers. They still don't know where they're going, but they look better doing it. Which is a shame.

>>52863314
>.. But the point is, half-casters aren't supposed to be boring. That's a stupid idea. They're supposed to have some unique traits, some things that set them aside from either idea. IT's okay to take half of warlock's casting and mix it with fighteryness, but really the slayer only.. Adds damage to their attacks? Like rangers/barbs?
On a similar level... I read this class before on the UA reddit, and its niche seems to be closer to a monk than a ranger. They're this zippy, mobile class that can move in-and-out with quick step, but they have way fewer resources to work with and need to burn max hp to get more, so there's an element of gambling there that you don't really get with the monk. They're "bouncy", and while they're not as distinct as I might like, they're good enough.
>>
>>52863314
i mean, every class is really simple at its core. paladins have smites and auras, both which could exist on the cleric kit as spells, and pick all the martially from a fighter, but they don't and let the paladin exist and have them.

ranger spellcasting in my opinion is the weakest in the game, even weaker than the sorcerer outside of metamagic and multiclasses. ranger has their offensive and defensive options, with volley and horde breaker and stuff, but stuff like hunter's mark and swift quiver just feel like should've been main features instead of spell taxes. and i guess druids don't really have any martial-ness to them, wild shape is their main thing, and rangers don't touch any of that.

if anything the slayer fights with pact of blade and eldritch knight design space the most, because both try to be arcane fighters but sadly run to heavily on the chasis of something with little to no synergy to their intended mechanics.

and then again, there's like, a million different gish options, really leaves you wondering if we need so many and why neither quite works as intended. my suspicion is because gish builds by definition try to be the best at both casting and martial fighting and there's not enough resources to support both or either, without being absolutely retarded of a class (like almost every homebrew ends up being).

words words stuff
>>
If you were to pick Great Weapon Fighting as your Paladin fighting style and then Savage Attacker as a feat, would you still be able to reroll the 1s on your reroll from Savage Attacker?
>>
>>52863314
Ranger(Revised) is pretty good, feels on-par with the Paladin imho.
>>
>>52863465
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/27/what-if-you-have-both-the-great-weapon-fighting-style-and-the-savage-attacker-feat/
>>
>>52863347
Almost certainly, yes.
Just like how sleep and charm effects fall flat on elfs just because elfs.
Part of the mystical, divine, magical fabric of the world.
>>
>>52863465
Yup
>>
>>52863401
>Sounds terrible. The warlock is a niche as hell class and shouldn't really be the model for, well, anything.
...I'm literally just saying take away their spell slots and let them cast with power points. warlocks max out at 4x5th, which at 1 point/level is 20 power points, the same as a monk. Literally the only difference is that it would let warlocks cast lower-level spells without feeling like they've wasted a slot.

calm your retardation.
>>
>>52863431
Eh, well, it has the whole 'burn health for slots' thing running for it.

The two UA classes, artificer and mystic, are pretty damn unique. The artificer offers guns (which aren't around elsewhere) and potions / magic items / whatever. Mechanical companion. All sorts of things other classes don't get, with a rogue-like at will attack get-up.

Of course, ti has its problems.

Then there's mystic, which is sort of like a spellcaster, but not. I suppose they're a 'different wizard' that works on a different system. But they work on a different enough system that it makes them unique enough, I suppose, and have strong points and weak points.

The slayer seems to be getting in more around as >>52863435 is saying where it fits in with maybe UA bladelock or EK or something and I can certainly say it has some differences from them, but I don't really feel it inspires any characters that we couldn't already get from some sort of bladelock set up.

I think the reason we see so many bladelock-like-characters such as the bloodhunter is because bladelock just fucking sucks, and bladelock really should've been some sort of 'I'm a gambley, hurt-myself-fighter guy who's in with the occult'

... So, actually, maybe a modification of the warlock class itself?
I'm pretty much now saying 'It's not unique enough, so instead make it a variation of the warlock.' Which is hypocritical. But oh well, it works.
>>
>>52862865
>>52862803

Alright. We're making the characters at level 3 so I'm not sure how many I'm going to start off with. I wanted to do Warcaster first level but I just realized that I couldn't technically do it due to it's prereqs. I doubt my group will care but I'll probably switch to MI and rough out a level with no shield.

What about 1st level spells? Right now I have Shield, Find Familiar, and Burning Hands (lol).
>>
>>52863431
>It looks like whoever wrote the Ranger wasn't nearly as in love with the idea as the guy who wrote Paladins was in love with Paladins, and that's the heart of it.

This. The fact they had to revise the very name of the ranger subclasses (Conclaves vs "Ranger Archetype") says it all.

>RANGER ARCHETYPE
>At 3rd leveI, you choose an archetype that you strive to emulate: Hunter or Beast Master, both detailed at the end of the class description.

>RANGER ARCHETYPES
>The ideal of the ranger has two classic expressions: the Hunter and the Beast Master.

>SACRED OATH
>When you reach 3rd leveI, you swear the oath that binds you as a paladin forever. Up to this time you have been in a preparatory stage, committed to the path but not yet sworn to it. Now you choose the Oath of Devotion, the Oath of the Ancients, or the Oath of Vengeance, all detailed at the end of the class description.

>SACRED OATHS
>Becoming a paladin involves taking vows that commit the paladin to the cause of righteousness, an active path of fighting wickedness. The final oath, taken when he or she reaches 3rd level, is the culmination of all the paladin's training. Some characters with this class don't consider themselves true paladins until they have reached 3rd level and made this oath. For others, the actual swearing of the oath is a formality, an official stamp on what has always been true in the paladin's heart.

How did someone greenlighted this? How is it fair for the ranger to get this treatment?
>>
>>52863536
I wish the guy who wrote Paladins was a little less in love with them, honestly.
>>
>>52863401
>Psionic characters have been in the game long enough to merit their own class.
Also, no, "Psionics" don't merit their own class, because "Psionics" isn't a coherent concept. That's like saying "Magics" need a class. "Magic" or "Psionic" is an excuse for doing certain things, like healing/buffing or blasting the fuck out of people or performing little specialist tricks, and a class that does everything that "Magic" can do is a bloated waste of space, because "Magic" can do anything.

Monks used to be psionics, and they're ki-users now, but there's functionally no difference. And I don't begrudge them a place in the core, because "highly mobile close-combat fighters with resource-based spike damage" is a niche they can fill. "Psionics" isn't a niche.

Typically, the thing "Psionic" character classes have had in common is resource-based spiking capabilities, permanently augmenting its basic performance with new capabilities, and using "power points" instead of spell slots. With that in mind, the Monk is an obvious model to follow for future Psionic classes, as it fills all three requirements (flurry of blows, unarmoured shit + martial arts, and ki points respectively) while still being reasonably balanced, attractive, and having its own niche.

Now, the Warlock is a different issue, because its meets the first two requirements with its short rest slots and invocations, and is also short-rest with 1d8 hd, just like the Monk. If it weren't for the Mystic Arcana and the fact that it uses Spell Slots instead of Ki Points, it'd basically sit entirely on the "ranged Psion blaster" niche. As it is, it's still uncomfortably similar.
>>
>>52863586
shield is all you need, and all you'll ever use. i didn't even know you could get find familiar, get an owl and use flyby+help to give you free advantage forever.
>>
>>52863586
Shield, find familiar and absorb elements.

It's not really worth taking any damage spells.
>>
My players just fought the 2 cambions and the mage in SKT right after triboar. One of the cambions got away, would it be wrong of me for the Margaster family to slander the PCs and brand them as murderers and thieves since only the PCs and the Margasters themselves know of the Margaster's evil deals with Asmodeus?

Send bounty hunters to chase them around The North, have the Paladin's church question his oath, etc, etc.
>>
>>52863309

No but you can refluff it however you choose.
>>
>>52863435
>ranger spellcasting in my opinion is the weakest in the game, even weaker than the sorcerer outside of metamagic and multiclasses. ranger has their offensive and defensive options, with volley and horde breaker and stuff, but stuff like hunter's mark and swift quiver just feel like should've been main features instead of spell taxes. and i guess druids don't really have any martial-ness to them, wild shape is their main thing, and rangers don't touch any of that.
Yuuup. Ranger spellcasting is absolute trash.

They have the fewest spells to choose from, the fewest spells to know/prepare, the shittiest spell list, the fewest unique spells outside of the warlock (who has invocations) and the joint-fewest spell slots to use (outside of the warlock, who has short rest slots). And the spells they do have often don't work hugely well with their supposed role.

They didn't even have free subclass spells until UA, and even those just add 1/level instead of 2/level like a Paladin. Rangers are like... "we purposefully wrote them wrong, as a joke."

>>52863435
>if anything the slayer fights with pact of blade and eldritch knight design space the most, because both try to be arcane fighters but sadly run to heavily on the chasis of something with little to no synergy to their intended mechanics.
You're right that it's much closer to Bladelocks and EKs than Rangers. I can see a bit of Paladin in the genes, just focused on mobility instead of buffing, and trading nukes (divine smite) for more reliable per turn damage.

That said, Bladelocks are shit and will always be shit because you can't serve two masters, so they're really more like EKs. The EKs even have their own fake little teleport, too.
>>
>>52863646
>>52863628

I intend to train out of Burning Hands. We're mostly just using the core rules since it's a bunch of newbies (I asked permission for Booming Blade).

The kind of nice thing about Burning Hands is that early game it MIGHT be better than a Booming Blade or a regular attack.
>>
>>52863435
Not only do Rangers have some of the shittiest spells, they have the shittiest known/learned/memorized system as well.
>"Rangers cast spells like Druids"
>except they don't cast spells anything like Druids
>>
>>52861230
>>52861260
>fighting an evil dragon
>fucking blow her up
>make it long and painful too
What the fuck man
>>
>>52863611
Wizard is already the "magics" class. Psionic abilities were originally just slapped on top of any character that could get them. If anything, the mystic should be, on all its merit, several full classes, and not fall into the grab bag of good stuff that it is right now.

but in the end i guess monk's abilities come from enlightenment, but not from primarily from the mind. psychometabolic bullshit could easily be a monk subclass or part of it, and not the other way around, same as psiblades a rogue/fighter subclass, avatar a paladin subclass, immortal a barbarian sublass, etc.

wujen shouldn't be a thing, and the awakened should be the mainclass psion, with subclasses on psichoportation, telekinetics and mind domination.
>>
>>52863578
>The two UA classes, artificer and mystic, are pretty damn unique. The artificer offers guns (which aren't around elsewhere) and potions / magic items / whatever. Mechanical companion. All sorts of things other classes don't get, with a rogue-like at will attack get-up.
The artificer's weird to me, because yeah it gets all this extra stuff no-one else can do, but... what I am supposed to be doing with it, exactly? Am I ranged blaster who's supposed to sit behind his big dinosaur robot? If that's the case, why do I have all this other crap that doesn't help me with that?

The Mystic's even worse about it. Much worse.

A Barbarian, or a Fighter, or a Rogue, or a Wizard, or a Cleric, or a Monk, I know what I'm supposed to be doing, even if the specifics of spell-selection or subclasses or equipment let me play around with that.

I guess it's inevitable that the further you move from the "core" the more esoteric and less clear the classes become, but it still stands out pretty badly.

>>52863578
>I think the reason we see so many bladelock-like-characters such as the bloodhunter is because bladelock just fucking sucks, and bladelock really should've been some sort of 'I'm a gambley, hurt-myself-fighter guy who's in with the occult'
Yeah, actually, the Slayer basically feels like someone looked at the Bladelock and decided it'd work better as its own class. And whatever the execution, they're not wrong.

(then they filled out the gap with bloodborne-inspired stuff like the quickstep and the health-for-power and so on)

I think that's probably why I'm optimistic about it, even if it needs a bunch of fine tuning - I can see what I'm supposed to do if I pick a Slayer. I'm meant to bounce around at close range hitting things, and when I get wounded I blast out a close-range damage spell to regain health. Most of the class is set up to support that, and the stuff I'm unsure about, leafing through it - stuff like 1d10 hit die and medium armour - don't fit so neatly.
>>
This is an insanely stupid question, but moving diagonally doesn't cost extra movement speed right? And you can attack diagonally on a square grid right?
>>
>>52863669
yes, but my tip is to not overplay it. Run the margaster family as a foil ex: UA downtime activities. Just slide bounty hunters into random encounter lists, and have the Margaster family make rolls to see how they succeed at convincing others to dislike the party, letting the party have the space to work back against the Margaster family in more discrete, incremental methods (they pick up rumours, they sow rumours, they're thwarted on a business transaction, they thwart them on a business transaction) than be encouraged to go straight for direct assault because they percieve Margaster's as the Big Bad. Aim for something like, 10% of a session's PC rolls involving the Margaster Family on average.
>>
>>52863868
Right. Right.
>>
File: Optional Rule, Diagonals.png (298KB, 456x405px) Image search: [Google]
Optional Rule, Diagonals.png
298KB, 456x405px
>>52863862
The mystic ends up gluing the party, it fits whatever you need patched up, be it the revivify bitch or the Huge grappler. Just help the player because a bad party cohesion + the shitty discipline acquisition rate might make it useless.
>>52863868
>pic related
>>
>>52860732
The devil went down to georgia
>>
>>52863765
She murdered a bunch of innocents just to fuck with the party. She deserved it.
>>
>>52863868
i use the first diagonal is 5ft, second 10ft and repeat mechanic, it's more consistent with real geometries. and yes, you can attack to any of your eight contiguos squares.
>>
>>52863801
>Wizard is already the "magics" class.
Except that magic can do anything, but if you check the Wizard spell list you'll find three things:
1) Stuff for keeping the wizard alive
2) Stuff for blowing stuff up
3) Stuff for solving weird niche problems

The Wizard is the "utility belt" character. In a non-magic game they'd be the guy with a ton of pockets who always has a grenade or compass or metal detector or acid vial some other useful gizmo. Instead, they're "Magic", so they get the whole spell preparation system to support their role as the party's utility belt.

Note that only one non-Divine spellcasting gets "spell preparation". It's the Wizard. Every other "arcane" caster learns their spells level-by-level, but the Wizard gets the biggest, most sprawling spell list in the game along with the ability to swap them out every rest. This is not a coincidence. It is to support their utility belt role.

The Cleric also gets prepared spells, but that's because their spell list is relatively tiny and focus on buffs/curatives, so letting them prepare spells ensures that they can go into fights loaded up with fun stuff, without needing to worry about leaving space for a Greater Restoration if someone gets petrified. They can rest and use it afterwards, there's no status effect tax.

>>52863801
>If anything, the mystic should be, on all its merit, several full classes, and not fall into the grab bag of good stuff that it is right now.
Yes, exactly. Choose a role for a class to fill, then set it up to work with psionic power. Just like the Wizard, the Sorcerer, the Cleric, the Paladin, and so on do for their own supernatural power sources. Hell, the Fighter and Barbarian do that, and their power sources are "being that good" and "anger".

"Psionics" is not a role. "Blaster" or "sneaky little fuck" or "melee tank" are roles, albeit simple ones. That's why Mystic doesn't have a role, and that's why it shouldn't be a class.
>>
File: 1479088466752.jpg (2MB, 680x5443px) Image search: [Google]
1479088466752.jpg
2MB, 680x5443px
How are monks in this edition? Can anyone clue a berk in on them? I have a friend making one for a back up character and I want to help him with expert advice. I haven't made a monk since the 3e days.
>>
>>52861260
>We ended up meeting her mate. When he saw what had happened to her, he was horrified, and begged us to spare him. We did--he hadn't done anything bad that we knew about, and it'd be handy to have a dragon as your friend.
...right. Your friend. After you did that to his mate.

Jesus Christ, anon. You're just as much of a monster as she was.

>>52861260
>We took most of her horde, but left him a sizable chunk to get rid of any remaining ill will.
"yo we robbed your wife, but we left you one of the credit cards, so... no hard feelings, aight?"
>>
>>52861224
>There is an actual threshold of dickishness which you can pass whereby you become Evil. Evil creatures do not deserve respect or mercy.
Failing to show respect or mercy is one of the qualifiers for being Evil. Displaying these virtues, even (or especially) to those who don't, is one of the qualifiers or being Good.

So while you can try to live up to your philosophy, you'd better hope you don't meet anyone who agrees with you.
>>
>>52863981
except around a corner, the only exception
>>
>>52864050
Depending on the setting she probably had him as a rape slave instead of an actual SO
>>
>>52863882
Ok yeah it seems as though they could be a big bad if I really wanted them to be, I really only want them to be a thorn in the Party's side not to derail the SKT story all together.
>>
>>52864019
I'd argue with, in my experience, the mystic falls in the same niche as the wizard, but with more weird niche stuff.

If you want a role, call it the "swiss army knife" it has the shortest knife, the shitiest scissor and the most awkward screwdriver, but it can do it all! (with no scaling nor a spellbook to pick again tomorrow if you were mistaken today.)
>>
>>52864050
It's a black dragon. "Mate" means "fuckbuddy" at BEST, and quite likely rape slave.

Besides, now he gets a shit ton of her gold.
>>
>>52863592
>This. The fact they had to revise the very name of the ranger subclasses (Conclaves vs "Ranger Archetype") says it all.
God, but I hate "Archetype". It's a lazy shortcut that strips the subclass of flavor. It didn't work for Rangers, and it doesn't work for Fighters or Rogues.

Call them Roguish Guilds (Guild of Assassins! Guild of Thieves! Guild of Detectives!), just like Bards have Colleges. Call them Martial Traditions, or Martial Schools, or anything other than Archetypes, jesus balls.
>>
>>52864045
They're solid. Good fun.
>>
>>52863862
>what I am supposed to be doing with it, exactly?
You're utility. You're a Bard with a ranged focus. You make everyone better and spread around Concentration spells while doing reliable damage and having guaranteed access to magic items that you can use in creative ways.

If you're playing an Alchemist and your plan when confronted with a locked door is "I'll use this chime of opening" or "I'll use my thieves' tools" instead of "I pour several acid flasks into the keyhole", you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>52864077
this is fair, i guess.
>>52864019
you can always be a theurge or whatever the fuck that thing's name is and then have access to all "magics" magic.

and yeah, obviously the "Mystic" shouldn't be a class, but the "Psion" should, i guess it's more semantics than anything. you said psionics don't merit their own class, but you are right, psionicists=/=psionics.

psionics would be what, spellcasters? magicians?
psion/psionisist would then be wizard.
>>
Do you let your player molt into dragonborn?
>>
>>52864179
With a really good reason, yes.
But that's my answer to pretty much everything.
>>
>>52864134

Guild of Tricksters? That kind of works, I suppose.

School of x could work for Fighters too. I think that one's a little trickier to nail down though.
>>
>>52864179
In my 4E Dark Sun game, one of the thri-kreen in the party built himself a cocoon out of his own acrid spit and some weird herbs (thri-kreen make weapons out of the stuff, it's an established thing) and turned into a butterfly, then flew away never to return.
>>
>>52864050
They're greedy, backstabbing fucks. He probably did the husband a favor.
>>
>>52864045
Monks are a solid martial class when played correctly. Wisdom is not an ignorable stat, go full Dex/Wis ASAP and Con last, and don't lose this priority. Monks get AC to 20 without needing to use shields, have evasion dex-save bonus, and a one-per-round reduction from a ranged missile. These things combined with suppression-like presence(stunning strike) and the ability to take easy dodge actions make them surprisingly good at deflecting/absorbing damage despite the scary unarmored appearance and d8 HD.

Ki points need to be spent freely, not conservatively, mindful that they are recovered on 30 minutes of an hour's short rest or in meditation, so the monk needs to get mobile (Ki to dash) so they can get to melee to stun (stunning strike, level 5), and if they are in a group melee a ki point to dodge is better than a ki point for bonus attacks with flurry of blows, unless more stuns are desired, and flurry of blows ki is used as a last resort to getting the Stunning strike through.

Mobility, a stun, and solid defenses leads to a class with inherent martial suppresion/control with acceptable DPR. Way of the Open Palm is still probably the strongest type of Monk, but Monk default power outweighs the power of any particular archetype so the decision is mostly fluff up to the player, as long as the Monk is played well.
>>
>>52864167
>you can always be a theurge or whatever the fuck that thing's name is and then have access to all "magics" magic.
Broken UA bullshit is not an argument.

>>52864167
>you said psionics don't merit their own class
They don't. Not on their own.

You're saying "Psionics merit their own class", but that's like saying "Mutants merits their own class" or "Demonic Energies merit their own class".

"Psionics" is an excuse for someone to display certain power. It's not a class in itself, and it shouldn't be one. Work out a coherent role, then shape it to suit having "Psionics" as its background. Don't just write an everything class and then justify it with "Psionics can do everything".
>>
>>52864045
Stay away from the Way of the Four Elements and you'll be fine.
>>
>>52861230
>>52861260
This is actually really hot
>>
>>52864349
>Broken UA bullshit is not an argument.
This may be the one instance in which it is.
You are talking about the mystic after all.
>>
>>52864349
>psionics don't merit their own class, not on their own
But Wizards do

>Don't just write an everything class and then justify it with "Psionics can do everything"
If they'd made different classes you'd just whine, "Why can't this be an archetype?" when everyone knows it'd be an unsatisfying piece of shit like Eldritch Knight (hur hur it's totally an arcane caster guys) or, "Why couldn't this all be one class?"

They shoved Soulknife, Psychic Warrior, and Psion all into one class. That's efficient.
>>
>>52864179
As in dragonborn molt, or something molting into dragonborn.

I imagine Dragonborn do molt, which also brings in the idea that so do dragons.

As or someone molting into Dragonborn, I actually like their weird body-horror origin of being someone else and being transformed in a weird ass egg by the will of dragon gods.
>>
>>52864202
How do you treat it? Do they lose their first racial ability or is it an add-on?
>>52864228
Coolio
>>
>>52864461
Depends on "How".
Were you blessed by Bahamut/Tiamat at level 10+ Add-on.

An early game refluff because the player wanted to change race? Swap.

How do you/your player want to do it?
>>
>>52864349
read what i wrote, the psion or psionicist is a subcategory of the whole psionic (classes) spectrum, the mystic is trying to be all psionics in one package, while the psion was always just a part of what psionics in general could achieve.

psionics can do everything, like magic can do everything. psionic shouldn't be a class, but psions could easily be one, because they are not the same thing hence the different words. again, semantics matter.
>>
Are there and Barbarian builds other then Barbarogue that don't use GWM? I was thinking of doing a Shield using Battlerager but that seems pretty weak.
>>
>>52863408

Charm immunity is among the strongest buffs in the game, period. Especially as its no concentration. Charm is by far the most common save or lose targeting a commonly weak save ability around, and when monsters use it, it usually means the PC just flips his team right then and there.

Another no concentration power they get is Protection from Evil and Good, which makes them absurdly tanky against a broad swathe of foes -- aberrations, fey, celestials, undead, and fiends.

Add to this that against undead and fiends they have an almost guaranteed I win button and the best weapon buff around, and just about the only way to get a decent magic polearm or whatever.

They're great.
>>
>>52864400
>But Wizards do
Because, as previously discussed, they do have a role. It's broad, but it's one which their class structure and spell list directly support and explain.

>>52864400
>If they'd made different classes you'd just whine, "Why can't this be an archetype?"
No, I wouldn't. Any more than I have with Monk, which again, /used to be a psionic class/.

>>52864400
>They shoved Soulknife, Psychic Warrior, and Psion all into one class. That's efficient.
"I took everything I could grab from the fridge and stuck it in a single sandwich. That's efficient."
>>
>>52863525

>calm your retardation.

Says the guy who is mad about other people having fun.
>>
>>52864608
>three replies to the same post
>all going NUH UH
i mean they're pretty great double-dubs but that's just excessive
>>
>>52864608
If you want to go with full analogies the Mystic is a leftover sandwich, the ranger is a half-eathen sandwich dipped in oil and the Eldritch Knight a lightly fired lettuce sandwich.
I fail to see the issue, nor the need for roles.
As I've said before, the mystics badness at what it does makes it fall in line with what no one does, not what another party member already does.
>>
>>52863611
>That's like saying "Magics" need a class.

Like the Magic User?

> and a class that does everything that "Magic" can do is a bloated waste of space, because "Magic" can do anything.

We have a user of conventional academic magic and a user of deity granted magic, seems pretty straightforward.

>Monks used to be psionics

They've had psionic incarnations but weren't representative of the way normal psi types worked, ever.

>"Psionics" isn't a niche.

I'm genuinely fascinated by arguments based off purely circular logic like this. If you recast psionics as not having a niche.. then... unsurprisingly, they don't have a niche.
>>
>>52863611
>highly mobile close-combat fighters with resource-based spike damage
If you're going to be that specific, then Mystics are
>versatile utility-martials with MP-based, dynamically-scaled casting which can specialize to fill a missing role
>>
>>52864509
Level 10+ add on only. The molting is not for early race swap because the PHB's ones are inbred that lost their defining scale. Dragonborn can do it too. Renewing the shine of their scale and this time of their choice.
>>52864437
The latter.
>>
I'm working on homebrewing a Barbarian Archetype that functions as high defence but when they rage the become a glass canon.

Is having part of there level 3 be "While you're Raging with a different weapon in each hand you switch your Dexterity and Strength scores for the duration of the Rage" dramatically unbalancing?
>>
>>52864595

Not that other guy, but I think your points on Charm Immunity is valid but I also think spell resistance is possibly stronger. Especially as an aura. The Ancients capstone and extra spells are all pretty nice too.

Honestly though, I doubt it matters. It's hard to fuck up a Paladin, as long as you put your stats in the right place.
>>
>>52864595
>>52864771

Why would anyone make a Vengeance paladin then, looking purely at the mechanics.
>>
>>52864800
PAM, Tunnel Fighter, Hex, Sentinel fuckery.

Basically if you play combat like a Wargame you can "Win" melee combat with it.
>>
>>52864800
Not the people you reply to, but the answer should be obvious.

Edge, and being the big-dicken damage machine that your party probably doesn't even need in the first place. Same reason new people play Rogue so much, no?
>>
>>52864340
Ty for your advice, I'll relay all that you said. He wants to use some weapon he saw on a TV show about blacksmiths competing with each other to make the best weapons and from what he said he wasn't sure his idea was going to be viable. The weapons were deerhorn knives.
>>
>>52864839
>Same reason new people play Rogue so much, no?

I've always found that Fighter attracts new Normies and Bard attracts new people who know a little bit about d&d.
>>
What do you guys think of this?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407904-The-Beacon-(New-Warlock-Patron)
>>
>>52864845
deerhorn knives = refluffed daggers = monk weapons = martial arts damage therefore scale up to 1d10 at highest level instead of staying as 1d4

it's win-win. That's the kind of character Monks are for.
>>
Should I let people recover short rest abilities while traveling? Seems like it would be reasonable to let Monks and Warlocks not have to sit down for an hour and instead let them walk.
>>
>>52864989
shit spell list,

lvl 1 is just dumb, trying to make it into something its not

6th level feature too strong

10th useless

14th absolute trash
>>
>>52865063
If it's not forced march, they should.
>>
>>52864733
>The latter.

Probably a weird transmogrifying egg cocoon that changes the flesh into a Dragonborn. Lose the racial traits of the original race in exchange for the new ones. Same function as Reincarnation.
>>
>>52865074
That's kind of what I thought although the first ability makes it really good for a dip.

Anybody have any advice for a one or two level dip for a dex/wis based fighter? I'm thinking war cleric or some sort of paladin.
>>
>>52865063
as long as its casual traveling yeah its reasonable
>>
>>52865086
>>52865156
Alright sweet. My group hates doing short rests but they do a lot of overland travel between cities, thought it would make both of those players a little happier.
>>
>>52861260
This is fucking hilarious. Now that's how you remove dragon
>>
File: crying elf.jpg (79KB, 1266x1740px) Image search: [Google]
crying elf.jpg
79KB, 1266x1740px
Tfw I get invited to the first rpg game I don't have to Gm for in years and everyone cant stop fucking around less than ten seconds in. It's basically just me and another player trying, and the other two yelling shit and trying to murder/steal from everyone.
>>
>>52861260
>You have to eat ALL of the pellets

but don't the pellets just absorb water?
>>
>>52864815
>>52864839

Ah but just the base without minmaxing, multiclassing, and specific feats is kind of lacklustre compared to the other two, no?
>>
>>52865211
The dust does. When it's used up, it turns into pellets. Both me and my DM thought they reverted upon contacting other water, but they have to broken.
>>
>>52865153
Paladin is Cha-based so Monk or Ranger would be better for Wis.
>>
>>52865179
generally if you dont think it will have a significant impact on the session, just do what is easiest for everybody
so unless you plan on having a plot hook ambush during their short rest or something, just ignore it
but im a lazy dm so that might be shit advice idk
>>
>>52865364
I'm trying to pick up divine favor mostly, also the multiclass is because my character is becoming the champion of a god (warlock might work too for this god especially on the character who is little more than a weapon).
>>
>>52864671
>Like the Magic User?
Point to that in the 5e core?

>>52864671
>I'm genuinely fascinated by arguments based off purely circular logic like this. If you recast psionics as not having a niche.. then... unsurprisingly, they don't have a niche.
Again, it's not a niche.

What can psi powers do? Fucking anything.

What can, say, a Soul Knife do? Or an Ardent do? Or Battleminds? Or Monks? Not "anything". They have clear roles and niches and specialties, and use "psionics" as the setting justification for their powers.

This is why Clerics, Paladins, Favoured Souls, and so on are not all rolled into a single class called "Divines" which can be specced to do anything that godly power could be vaguely conceived of doing.

>>52864729
>versatile utility-martials with MP-based, dynamically-scaled casting which can specialize to fill a missing role
lol

So they're casters who are also martials, who are versatile but also specialized, and have no actual set role or style of play.

Good to know. That was a fine use of wordcount.
>>
>>52865210
if you cant beat em join em senpai
>>
>>52864989
>Let's make a Charisma caster into a Wisdom caster

Y tho
>>
>>52865429
Wis based character going for a dip (e.g. a monk in need of range).
>>
>>52865418
Christ please no, I just want a fun game of dnd
>>
>>52864771
its not spell resistance, its half damage from aoe.

Which is FUCKIN GREAT, especially in the case of high level casters against low level PCs. But many DMs find casters daunting, especially high level casters. Meanwhile, very low level monsters can rape high level parties to death with charm spells.

>>52864800
The level seven ability is just about the only thing going for them. And it is definitely cool in a campaign that permits PAM+Tunnel Fighting. There are a few minor things like "these guys have one concentration spell among many you would probably enjoy," like everyone else.

They're simply a completely different animal from other paladins, if you're doing them "right."
>>
>>52861172
>fighters that can do +10 dmg are unmanageable
>monsters in 5e are nothing but bags of health points
Complainers, please keep stories straight
>>
>>52865453
might be fun fampai
let go of your inhibitions and enter the magical realm
>>
So can a Rogue jump out of cover, attack someone, jump back behind and hide?

Seems really easy to stay hidden just by sitting behind a barrel or something.
>>
>>52865401
>Again, it's not a niche.

What a surprise. You remove the niche psionicists have, and then say "Behold! Because I have removed their niche, they have no niche!" Ebin, simply ebin.

>What can psi powers do? Fucking anything.

Clerics have a better shot at being the "do everything" class than the primary psionicist class and were that way in more editions than psionicists were.

2e and 3.5e psionicists have clear strengths, weaknesses and niches. The 5e mystic is mainly based off the 3e ardent.
>>
>>52865528
Technically, as long as they're obscuring themselves behind something. The enemy might get advantage on the search check if they try to look for them, though.
>>
>>52865444
So its powergaming bait
>>
>>52865528
in theory yeah, but unless youre against something with like 3 or less intelligence, or are in an extremely dark environment (and they dont have darkvision) they would most likely figure out where you were after not too long
>>
>>52861656
The one somebody organized in thread? Glad it went well.
>>
>>52865512
monsters in 5e are absolutely not just a bag of health points unless you have a bland DM
>>
>>52861172

>Poor monkfu, rangerbb, etc. get shit on.

Are you stupid? There are generally two styles of combat characters in 5e:

1. People who give advantage, which is on average a +5 to hit (OH monks, shield bashers)
2. People who use "power attack," which is -5 to hit (GWM)

How is this difficult? How is this sort of duality too complex for your feeble brain to comprehend?
>>
>>52861224

>We're talking about objective morality.

There is no point at which you can tell if you are good or if anyone else is evil unless you rely on a pixie and the enemy to have terrible saves, fag.

For literally everyone on the planet but pixies and DMG villain classes, objective alignment doesn't exist.
>>
>>52865526
Nah its literally people screaming
>>
>>52865599
new thread
>>
>>52865658
just tell them you were looking for something a little more serious/less randumb
if they say "alright lets try it your way" then stay with them and try to guide them your way and see if they like it
if they say "tough titties we wanna fuck around and have fun our way" then respect that and go find a group that meshes better with your style of roleplaying, you can probably convince the other guy that was actually trying to come with you when you if you find like 2 more people
>>
>>52864989
absolute garbage
>>
I'm thinking of giving the asi in addition to the feat. I expect it to go about as well as an ice cube hanging out in Avernus. Convince me why I shouldn't?
>>
>>52865730
just give them bonus feats one level off as a quest reward
>>
>>52863055
>pretty okay
>like drunken master
You just have no idea what's good or not.
>>
>>52863229
Characters of the same class should share some core mechanics and Mystics do that.
Thread posts: 467
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.