[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dwarf Fortress RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

How does one run a Dwarf Fortress game /tg/? And by that I mean have a game where the players are Dwarves who manage a fortress, expand it, conduct trade and diplomacy with other peoples, and defend it from evil forces who overtly attack or infiltrate the fort? What system would be a good idea, and how should roles be delegated? Could you use an actual Dwarf Fortress world and shanghai it into your campaign?
>>
>>52857703
Fairly simple, unless you want to handle the minutiae of crafting. See, in DF, a big deal is how item quality is multiplied by material value etc etc., leading to some fearsomely valuable items, whereas in most games its usually just a minor thing for non combat items. So no system's really gonna be ideal.

You can do anything from a regular D&D game with a few wilderness maps and dungeon levels to defend all in one area, saving a massive time, to a slightly tweaked Birthright (probably use Battlesystem instead of the normal card system) for its use of somewhat generic dragons and goblins instead of multiple kinds of each (but with more variety in each) and have them run a few provinces, underground or otherwise, to, of course, some other RPG.
>>
>>52857703
I imagine it would be some weird fantasy version of Rogue Trader.
>>
>>52857703
Would be easier to do an adventurer mode game using GURPS.
>>
>>52857703
I'm afraid that such a game would not be very fun in the long run. You will probably either skip too much everyday stuff, or not skip enough.
>>
>>52857703
Fortress mode would probably be difficult to do, because it only really works in a virtual setting, but adventure mode is easy to do. Just pick your favorite flavor of brutal medieval combat RPGs (Riddle of Steel, Song of Swords, GURPS etc.) and just go along from there.
>>
>>52857703
The short answer is yes, use GURPS.

The long answer is yes, use GURPS. A couple of anons and I tooled around with the idea on a Discord Server once. The idea was to have players all start out as a small caravan of dwarves, then we'd template each of the jobs into statblocks that are easy to swap in and out of. The game would start out straight survival with Starvation, Dehydration, and other survival bits and pieces being the immediate thread. As the for develops, the tone of the game shifts from Survival to Economic Management, to Legendary Combat and Mining, to Political intrigue.

Our goal was to create a Dwarf Fortress supplement for GURPS that was so simple and progressed smoothly enough that it was basically a great introductory module to GURPS that would expand out as needed.
>>
>Play dorf fort RPG
>Make axedorf
>Go insane
>Set fire to cat
>Craft shitty necklace depicting cat being thrown in fire

It's a party of that guys.
>>
>>52857850
This. GURPS is perfect for DF's sheer autism. Even in Fortress Mode you have rules for everything from militia management, base building, delegated positions, to crop rotation. If games like Pendragon work out, then you can surely make fortress management a good experience.

There is also ACKS which can satisfy you in a lighter yet no less thorough manner.
>>
>>52857909
desu all you're listing doesn't make it sound simple or smooth.
>>
>>52857909
You mean a series, along the lines of Monster Hunters, Dungeon Fantasy, ect? That could work, with each iteration being focused on a different stage.
>>
>>52857913
OR... It's a brilliantly modified version of Fiasco or Don't Rest Your Head.

>>52857931
The idea was you'd start small. Survival and Crafting rules only, with some combat. Players work together as a group to build up their fort. Then you add more rules as time goes on, advancing the game to have more dimensions. The idea was learning bare minimum GURPS, Playing it, then adding new rules and features as needed.
>>
>>52857703
>>52857909
Would this system include DF monsters and its creation.
Forgotten Beasts and similar used in RPG sound interesting, as GM rolling for all those stats and geting amusing results.
>>
File: Fiasco - Dwarf Fortress.pdf (154KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Fiasco - Dwarf Fortress.pdf
154KB, 1x1px
>>52858022
>Fiasco

You rang?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.