[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do Gods/Deities feature in your games? Do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0004.png (337KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.png
337KB, 400x389px
How much do Gods/Deities feature in your games?
Do you think too much focus on the Gods takes away from the players' own stories?
Are Deities more interesting as extremely powerful former-mortals or omnipotent beings?

Just general discussion of the deities of your games I guess.
>>
>>52855441
I like to keep the gods out of the campaign. They remain in their heavens.
>>
>>52855441
Kind of 50/50 for me. Gods can have interactions but the stories themselves don't tend to be about them and there isn't any evidence other then power and being worshiped that it is a god. So it's hard to say a lot of time what you are really interacting with if they do show up.
>>
Well, there is one group that notoriously feeds on the corpses of gods found floating in the void.
>>
The gods have no true interest in the day to day lives of the mortals. In fact, it's believed that for the most part, even the devote followers of the gods don't get the direct attention of those they pray to. The gods have simply seen the cycles repeat themselves since time first began. However, should a mortal or group of mortals gain enough power, renown, and influence in the Material Plane, a god may take a slight interest in their fate.
Of course, that's not counting the demons that are on par with the strengths of the gods, those that constantly use the invaluable resource of mortals in their eternal plots. Or the vast and ancient Primordials, whose very essence birthed all else. They basically view everything else as dust particles, floating on the breeze.
>>
I preferre to think of beings that are or were extremely powerful and revered like gods. So the Paladin god was really just a exceptional, magical lvl 15 Paladin from a thousand years ago. Deified and idolized.
That way when the players become powerful enough, its possible for them to just kill one of the gods... though this does bring up issues about where Divine Spell power actually comes from.
>>
>>52855441
I like to incorporate gods as wandering spirits in the world who will do some shenanigans in their immediate surroundings. They're not outright omnipotent but enough to be regarded as a supernatural patron.
>>
>>52855441
Is that Emperor Zurg?
>>
>>52855441
In my setting, gods are neither omnipotent nor omniscient, but they are powerful enough that even the mightiest mortal would need a truly epic macguffin to stand a chance in a personal feud with a god.

Some gods are more active and involved than others, but PCs are much more likely to stop a cult of some evil god than to oppose the same god directly.

There are four main "sources" of gods in my setting.
>Deities who were involved in the creation of the cosmos
>Gods who came into being from older deities
>Previously non-deific immortals who rose to divinity
>Previously mortal heroes or villains who attained godhood
>>
File: sarevokanchev.jpg (465KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sarevokanchev.jpg
465KB, 1920x1080px
>>52859906
were bioware hacks?
>>
Gods regularly interfere with the world, but they're even more autistic than this forum, so what they consider worth interfering with is rarely relevant or even noticed by humanity.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1846
>>
File: Noragami Emishi gods.jpg (90KB, 703x477px) Image search: [Google]
Noragami Emishi gods.jpg
90KB, 703x477px
>>52855441
I mostly do it Greek-style but less rapy pedo murder homos.
>>
>How much do Gods/Deities feature in your games?
Absolutely none, regardless of setting. For many reasons that depend on the setting in question.

>Displays strength/potential that humans cannot have, completely destroying the atmosphere of intelligent life being the greatest (yet pathetic)
>Forces a unified mythology and ruins the realism of there being countless implied religions
>Mythology is only interesting because it's thousands of years old and real people believed it, fictional mythology will never be cool if it's meant to be accurate
>(If gods are creators) Removes natural selection, making human behavior and cognition irrelevant and arbitrary, which in turn makes all philosophy and psychology meaningless as they are derived from our genes, forces layers of complexity out of the story
>(If gods are creators) Humans are in an awkward position because they are primal beings built for survival with immense flaws caused by their genetic incompatibility with the higher societies they create as our intelligence was a fluke, we aren't designed to be this intelligent
>Generally deprives depth and meaning from the world
>>
>>52868610
Or a better way of putting it, the presence of gods trivializes the human struggle, which should be of paramount importance in a serious setting.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.