[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would an RPG based on For Honor be any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Would an RPG based on For Honor be any good?
>>
>>52845617
A good rpg system set in For Honor would have to pull it off in spite of the setting, which is bog standard.

All of For Honor's strengths are technical and aesthetic. To make a good ttrpg out of it, you'd need to figure out how to capture the technical feeling of the combat system.
>>
>>52845690
You just need to play RuneQuest, GURPS, Song of Swords, etc. with a shit GM. Anything with engaging combat mechanics.
>>
>>52845690
The only way I can imagine pulling off the mechanics in any similar fashion is a rock-paper-scissors type game where the players choose which direction they will attack/block, then the choices are revealed.

The problem is that For Honor's mechanics rely on the fact that it's NOT turn-based. Capturing the same feel would be extremely difficult, as would any other fighting game.

OP, my best suggestion is to just draw bit-and-pieces of inspiration from it, and use those in normal games.
>>
File: 1489184756466.jpg (284KB, 1605x805px) Image search: [Google]
1489184756466.jpg
284KB, 1605x805px
>>52845617
You mean people actually play the 'story' and don't go straight for multiplayer? Or do you mean it's a setting where knights, samurai and vikings fight for fun because everyone forgot what caused the war in the first place and nobody really cares?
>>
>>52845617
Depends, can you purge the weeb, kill the cuck and defend the holy land in it?
>>
>>52851008
>Purge the weep
Samurai-chan is clearly best girl though.
>>
>>52845617

For honor doesn't really have much to offer as a setting. As has already been pointed out, the game sells itself on the gameplay. Translating that into a tabletop RPG would be difficult, and honestly I'm not sure there's much to gain.

I've had similar thoughts about a number of vidya that I've enjoyed. I was on a little bit of a Titanfall kick recently, but ultimately came to the conclusion that it just wasn't meant for the tabletop. Pilots are almost entirely combat-focused (so, while these might conceivably pop up occasionally, it would be disingenuous to the setting to have pilots participate in social intrigue and skill-monkey tasks enough to justify character-building options for it), playing as non-pilots kind of misses the point of using the setting in the first place, and what you're left with is a series of relatively contained combat encounters.

The closest I came to a workable idea was a game using Stars Without Number's mercenary company rules, wherein the players would be pilots picking jobs and dropping in to fuck shit up. But if I wanted to play a pilot and fuck shit up, I have the game installed on my HDD already.

I'd put For Honor in the same boat. It's a game, with a setting designed to facilitate the game, and little else. There's nothing really *preventing* you from using it at your table--grab any of the super crunchy sword fighting simulators and have at thee--but I don't see why you would, and considering the nature of TTRPGs, any system trying to capture the "feel" of it is going to be so radically altered by the change in medium that I would question the rationale for keeping the IP name involved at all.
>>
>>52848606
So it's like any game with active defense.

I don't think /tg/ plays many games...
>>
>>52845782
This
>>
I... what?
For Honor's plot is so fucking shallow that you couldn't possibly base anything worthwhile on it.
>>
>>52852437
Pretty much. Too many things are taken in the frame of reference of D&D.
>>
File: BATTLFIELD.png (3MB, 2376x1323px) Image search: [Google]
BATTLFIELD.png
3MB, 2376x1323px
>>52845617
Ah, spelling. A lost art.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.