[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, fa/tg/uys, I need your help with motivation for a villian.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Ok, fa/tg/uys, I need your help with motivation for a villian.

Pertinent Facts:
-The setting is low-fantasy with no magic, and has more of a 'war story' theme.
-People live either safely in walled city-states (the privileged) or precariously in the countryside near them (the not-so privileged).
-Silent Hill-esque monsters are abundant, as are wandering bands of mercenaries who fight in the many wars between the city-states over limited resources in what is essentially a post-apocalyptic world.
-The walled city-states were founded by supernatural beings who led humanity back from the brink of annihilation and protected them. These beings are now inert after living for hundreds of years, and only occasionally, and cryptically, communicate. People outside of the highest levels of government do not know this. Most people think they are still running the show, and have started fighting among themselves.

The villian is a farmer who was conscripted by his city-state during a major war that eventually establishes a single government for most of the small (for reasons that would take a few paragraphs to explain) known world. He goes and does his duty, but returns fucked-up physically and mentally because (insert reason).

I need to bridge a gap where he goes from PTSD-suffering veteran to leader of a 'peasant army' called The Black Hundreds bent on overthrowing this government, eventually becoming a literal monster when his plans fail.

(Two of the player characters are his sons whom he abandoned in his ambition.)

In a world full of body-horror monsters and constant bloodshed how do I make it not stupid that this guy is a special snowflake spurred to action among the countless just like him?
>>
>>52843848
He returns home and wants to reunite with the family he abandoned. Finds them gone and place burned down. The idea that everyone died while he was gone, that he will never see them again, that he will never get to apologize and set things straight is the final push.
>>
File: 1492826269494.jpg (28KB, 500x567px) Image search: [Google]
1492826269494.jpg
28KB, 500x567px
>>52843914
Shit, that's not bad!
>>
>>52843914
>>52844083
Came here to post this. He was conscripted to go and "protect the lands" only to come back and find the people he truly cared about left to rot and die, pillaged and raped, nothing but charred remains welcome the villain home. Frustration with not only the government, but himself, he takes it out on the only villain he sees that caused this situation to occur. He tries to remain stalwart and resolute in his actions, justifying it to himself that "this is for the best" but in reality he's a broken man trying to divert his attention away from the bigger problem.
>>
le poor farmer meme

City states have a vested interest in protecting there agricultural base, be it yeomanry or enclosure
>>
>>52843848
I mean, he's basically just a PC.
>>
>>52844644
Good point. I did want him to have been with his family for a while after the war and then go on his merry way.
>>
Why only have one villain?

That being said, idea:
The villain-to-be has returned from war, thinking about how he was unprotected from the horrors of the great beyond. Poor planning and poor structure in the army in which he had led was the problem. Much of his platoon had died, and with the level of attrition levied against the populace, they were all going to become demon food. Every bump in the night could be a sign that the army had been overrun.

Someone had to change this.

With political positioning revoked several times without much reason other than classist remarks about being born from a farmer, he turns to what could be the only way to change the world in which he lives: social uprising. His ideas attract attention. Why do the people follow such archaic laws? Why do the leaders know so little. Why is the army less Spartan than it should be? The Black Hundreds band together, initially as a minuteman mercenary group, but eventually get to the point where they become large enough to potentially take on the government itself.
>>
Russian revolution?

A dude listens to some politically-educated people and decides (because they're persuasive, and because he witnessed the oppression/horrors of war first-hand) that the current elites need to go. He and his comrades in arms decide to desert and in the process incite more lower-class people to do the same. Eventually it snowballs. Simple as that.
>>
The character doesn't sound like a villain at all, to be honest.
>>
>>52847274
>>52849204
Thank you, kind anons.

He is the (ugh) BBEG. There are other villians along the way.

>>52849229
Villians are complicated. He has schizophrenia and the whole thing escalates to the point he's massacring innocents to draw out the supernatural beings in charge, and eventually finds a way to become one to fight them himself.

Once he changes and finds out the others are gone/dead/catatonic/whatever he's a mentally unstable 12' floating psychic disembodied brain and nervous system with nothing to lose who needs to be stopped.
>>
He returned from war crippled, maybe has some official rewards, but no one actually cares anymore. Years pass, people who dont fought in the frontline live their lives, but he cannot. War is still raging for him every day. He was hero. Now he has nothing to eat. He give away his blood and youth. All betray him. He cant find job, his home burned down, all money goes into heavy drinking. He just decide one day to take back that he deserve.
>>
>>52851902
Also his wife and children can be alive and in good health. Wife tels him to stop drinking and start working in the field, child needs to eat something. He tells her that once he was amvushed by 5 enemies and managed to kill them alone. He get this scar in that fight. She should appreciate it.
>>
>>52851902
>>52851956
I'm torn between him going back to his family, or thinking they're dead. With two of the players being the villians son I do want them to be aware that he is thier father.

Both sons follow his path (voluntarily) as mercenaries out of admiration. The oldest is shot in the face when he joins a mercenary band as a teenager and disfigured. The youngest is more reluctant, but needs the money, and joins years later and eventually reunites with his older brother who has become a drug-addicted 'berserker'.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.