[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The weed of crime bears bitter fruit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: The Shadow Knows.jpg (388KB, 1790x2724px) Image search: [Google]
The Shadow Knows.jpg
388KB, 1790x2724px
So what system do you guys think would work best for playing The Shadow? (and other pulp heroes would be nice)
A good Shadow adventure runs the Shadow and his agents through a fair bit of detective work, a little psychic weirdness, a shootout or two, and usually ends with a fight against a villain with a weird power or gimmick.
Most superhero systems seem a bit too high powered, and a lot of systems (cape games included) don't seem to do gunfights very well. Those that do gunfights well are usually on the realistic end of things and don't really handle a guy who can turn invisible and cause hallucinations and stuff.
So, what do you guys think?

>inb4 GURPS

Yes, I know it exists, some other suggestions would be nice.
>>
File: [sinister laughter].jpg (428KB, 1791x2724px) Image search: [Google]
[sinister laughter].jpg
428KB, 1791x2724px
>0 replies

Wow, I guess maybe I should have included something about SJWs or whatever the popular bait is at the moment.
>>
>>52843839
Well, Pathfinder has a Vigilante class...
>>
>>52845155
Well if you're going to be passive aggressive, I'm really not surprised that no one wants to help.
>>
I would offer advice but I don't see anything related to SJWs so I'm moving on.
>>
>>52843839
Clearly this isn't elaborately crafted bait, why waste my time with a serious reply?
>>
>>52845288
My group is running Hell's Rebels in a few weeks.

I may be planning to run a fantasy ripoff of The Shadow using this class.
>>
>>52843839
I don't know, superhero games
https://youtu.be/uMlRpN8ANrU?t=23s
>>
>>52843839
I recommend savage worlds.
>>
>>52845318

Wait, so you're saying that the hour and a half with no responses was because everyone foresaw that I would write a "passive aggressive" post with their precognition or something and refused to reply because of what I was going to do?
Man, I thought all that "wizard" stuff was just silly internet memes.

>>52845288
>>52845404

Neat. What's the Vigilante class like?

>>52845542

Hey, that could work!
>>
File: 1460595631288.jpg (43KB, 214x329px) Image search: [Google]
1460595631288.jpg
43KB, 214x329px
>>52843839
>The Shadow?

Aw shit, that's my jam right there. I started listening to the Orson Welles radio dramas, and that was enough to get me hooked.
https://archive.org/details/RkoOrsonWelles-TheShadow-RadioRecodings

As for what system, anything simple would work, and that can range from something like Fate to even a unique single-page system. The Shadow is all about mystery and atmosphere, and the less rolling and the less mechanics, the better.
>>
>>52845736
if you haven't seen this yet, here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1fHnwqzDw
some folks dug up a missing radio play and tried to do it themselves
>>
>>52845736

Oh yeah, those are great. Welles does the best Lamont Cranston ever. I think Bret Morrison was a better Shadow, though.
>>
>>52843839
Blades in the Dark reskin
>>
>>52845874

Huh, that might be doable. Did that vigilantes mod ever come out for it?
>>
>>52845404
I've thought a bit about some kind of modern fantasy story about a man who grew up in the 30's and and 40's listening to the Shadow radio shows and reading the pulp heroes and decides to be a magical version of him - with all the conspiracies and weird shit that would be going on by the time he'd be an adult there'd be plenty of cool shit to happen.
>>
>>52845818
Awwwww sheet.
>>
>>52843839
Mutants and masterminds is built with this sort of thing in mind, you just set series PL accordingly. PL limits how high certain modifiers and ranks can go, and how many points you start with. The recommended level for pulp heroes is 8, but you may try going as low as 6 to make it more grounded.

The key to the system is that it's made with long, cinematic encounters in mind, so only people who matter to the plot should be built as PCs are (heroic). For everyone else you build them as minions of a lower effective PL than the players (minions don't get the check to resist effects, just to avoid them). This is how you get guns to work and for fights in general not to be endless slugfests.
>>
Thanks, everyone, I think I'll use Savage Worlds. If this thread's still up tomorrow I'll storytime a comic which is Marvel's only foray into the Shadow's world, which is sad because they did such an amazing job: "The Shadow 1941"
>>
>>52843839
Use A Dirty World and just put in stuff like the shadows powers as something like cunning+observation or cunning+selfishness. For other pulp heroes just give them all a few powers and just pick stats that makes sense for them really.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.