[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paid Campaigns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1492224488399.png (192KB, 487x304px) Image search: [Google]
1492224488399.png
192KB, 487x304px
I only just found out that Roll20 has pay to play games now, like, holy shit.

The worst part is that people actually play these games? I mean fuck, it's their money but what're the fucking odds that any public DM is good enough to warrant any sort of fee over other public DMs running games out of passion?

On the first page right now there's a fucking Sunless Citadel one-shot charging and some homebrew listing filled with red flags set up as P2P. It upsets me that anybody applies for these games.
>>
You know the saying, if you're good at something, never do it for free.
And some people are obnoxious enough that nobody will tolerate them unless paid to.
I'm sure you can add these up.
>>
>>52842934
>You know the saying, if you're good at something, never do it for free.

I was gonna say, "a fool and their money are soon parted", but sure.
>>
>>52843002

Personally the ancient saying that came to mind was "if I pay a DM to handle a ERP game is it prostitution?"
>>
I imagine there's give and there's take.

If the players are paying for their game, the GM's then got obligations to them, largely to make sure they're enjoying the game and happy. The type of players who are willing to pay are going to be the type who struggle to find reliable groups elsewhere.

Basically it's going to resort in the GM being paid to have the shittiest group of fucking cancer players and pandering to their every whim. I run a lot of games and I'd never ever run that shit.
>>
>>52843121
Probably closer to stripping, really. Or publishing an erotic novel.
>>
>>52843179
Depends on the system too. There's lots of RPGs out there with no one playing them, I'm sure people would pay to play those.
>>
>>52843121
Nope, we discussed it thoroughly when people were doing taxes, conclusion is it classifies as Catering.
>>
>>52843209
True dat too.

I'd be happy to run an obscure system for a group, so long as they're not fuckboys. I'd just want an up-front payment for the time it takes to learn the system, doing it per-session is weird for that.
>>
>>52842864

Only real advantage I can see is that by paying for a product folks will be much less likely to flake out on showing up.

Would be really odd if some sort of "gaming safety deposit" could occur for a certain period if it was a longer campaign.

Not saying this is even feasible but hell they've already got P2P on here and the monetization factor rarely stops for common sense.
>>
>>52843243
I think that's how a lot of groups operate anyway. Pool their money together, buy the books/PDF, and schedule the time and snacks.

This is just the online version.
>>
>>52843243
Per-session just makes sure that if you pay somebody, yo get what you're paying for. They can't exactly force you to play, so they can't trust you'll show up for games they paid you to do.
>>
>>52843432
I'd say that works if the reason for P2P is a shitty group or a 'professional' GM, but if its for an obscure system, upfront payment and an understanding/promise/contract for a minimum amount of sessions makes more sense to me.
>>
>>52843458
From a business perspective, they still can't trust you to show up and can't enforce anything if you don't. They can't be doing business transactions on the honor method.
>>
>>52843537
Maybe it is movie theater like? You pay before you go in and are 'guaranteed' that session. If you want a whole campaign, you still pay piece by piece, but at a discounted rate.
>>
>>52843633
Sounds like the first session of obscure systems would be a lot more expensive than games like D&D. That's not necessarily bad, but you would have to deal with the consequence that it gives mainstream games a huge leg up in accessibility stacked on top of what they already have.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.