[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 401
Thread images: 63

File: dwarf6.gif (151KB, 490x594px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf6.gif
151KB, 490x594px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Make sure to fill out the official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52829876

What is the solution to the gnome problem?
>>
>>52839286
>gnome problem
That some people don't like them? Is that the problem?
>>
>>52839286
>gnome problem
Don't run them or include them in your world. Dwarves are superior and more likable.
same with halflings tbqhfam
>>
File: 8733934970f72b44209.gif (2MB, 326x254px) Image search: [Google]
8733934970f72b44209.gif
2MB, 326x254px
What disciplines are worth getting for the Mystic? I am drowning in choices. I chose the Immortal order.
>>
>>52839286
Give them a racial identity in settings other then "Small gay dwarves" and "Small gay-er Elves".

Personally I've always been a fan of making Gnomes jungle people and Halflings desert traders.
>>
Just official sources/AL legal (ish)

I'm looking forward to Plane Shift: Amonkhet.
>>
>>52839316
Once had a game where the gnomes were the equivalent to Vietcong.
>>
Yo anyone up for doing a 1shot (Havel's Cross) tonight in an hour or 2 and see if it takes off? I am bored and feel like either playing/dming a group tonight. Bring a level 2 character, 2-4 slots I guess
>>
>People implying you can't customize shit in 5e

If your DM allows it, you can do anything.
>>
>>52839354
Everything, UA, Plane Shift, featured DM's guild content, every-fucking-thing.
>>
>>52839330
Try em all out. You can switch them when you level up, right?
>>
I'm trying to flesh out the middle of my SKT campaign right now.

Are there any gods or factions in FR that would have a vested interest in fucking up the Giant Ordning/taking advantage of the chaos that it's left in its wake?

Right now I have a red dragon cult that's trying to push the Fire Giants to the top of the Ordning in the hope that they start a war that will wipe out all of the giant cultures, but other than that I got nothing.
>>
need a name for my human prince who turned into a kobold

thinking of prince chuffy
>>
>>52839286
>What is the solution to the gnome problem?

Make them a Halfling subtype.
>>
>>52839455
Prince Memestein
>>
>>52839350
I think gnomes should be more fey
>>
>>52839441
Yeah you can.
>>
>>52839411
this!!!!
D&D5e is literally the most customizable and best game ever made.

>>52839455
killyourself furfag, the rules don't allow that.
>>
>>52839213
How do people with mental issues even become paladins?
Being a paladin is about force of will and so is being charismatic. Losing yourself in a rage is exactly the opposite of having charisma.
That guy is playing a barbarian, not a paladin.

Also honestly 'sometimes he gets mad and attacks other players' is a pretty obnoxious character to have, really, but it's in better taste than actually trying to fight rather than a fit of rage.
>>
File: 1432069846558.png (429KB, 1804x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1432069846558.png
429KB, 1804x1036px
>>52839455
>human prince who turned into a kobold
>>
>>52839315
The problem is that people start general threads with childish bait questions.

>>52839411
Who exactly are you arguing with? Literally nobody in the last thread was against customization.
>>

Make them Warcraft gnomes.
>>
>>52839350
>>52839286
In my setting, gnomes are the people of the sea. Massive ironclad ships included.
>>
>>52839411
>DM can I make my starting handaxes katars instead
>sure player, go ahead
good customization and fun
>and can I make them do 1d8 piercing instead of 1d6 slashing
>well, no
shit game, shit edition, no options, no customization, needs more books, menus, enchantments, ghey, don't feel powerful like 3e, where's the skill list, surprise is a condition not a round
>>
File: 2663.jpg (94KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
2663.jpg
94KB, 416x416px
What CR you guys think is appropriate for this fella here?
I was thinking about 12, taking a CR11 Horned Devil, add 1 AC to match Bone Devil, a little bit extra hp and change the Hurl Flame to lightning damage.
Gib some feedback plox.
>>
>>52839519
"I play in this one. I run another campaign with a universal system where everyone can customize their shit. Everyone I play with is running DnD because everyone already knows DnD."

">Be level 11 character
>Spend a month and 500 gold to make one scroll of magic missile
No, there's actually not currently a method to craft magic items that works in a real sense."

These sorts of posts.
People implying that you need solid crafting rules and all that.
>>
File: 14453526565790.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
14453526565790.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>Roll 20
>(1 spot open)
>Looking for a DM!
>>
>>52839286
>Solution to the gnome problem

This is an off-the-cuff idea, but maybe swap their +2 Int for +2 Con, and give Rock Gnomes a +1 Int instead?

It wouldn't make them the best race ever, but it'd give you a reason to use them, ever (besides as wizards of course).
>>
>>52839536
What's the difference? Asking honestly.
>>
>>52839579
Mostly just the fact that Warcraft goes fullbore into the "modern/destructive technology wizards" complete with tanks and helicopters where as D&D gnomes have like self-loading crossbows and shit. It's boring.
>>
How would you feel about letting a player use the kobold traits and refluff it to be traits for a ratfolk/skaven type of race?
What language should replace draconic?
>>
>>52839579
Gnomes in WoW have borderline modern day tech, but they are still not allowed to be relevant or perform a non-comical role.
Goblins, meanwhile, are gnomes who made it.
>>
>>52839608
Also, WoW Gnomes have a distinctive personality and body type/silhouette where as D&D Gnomes and Halflings are basically interchangeable 9 times out of 10.
>>
>>52839619
It's fine, as long as it's a race the DM has decided exists in his setting.
Language depends on race. Ratfolk could get goblin, skaven could get undercommon.
>>
>>52839562
You know, I'm kind of advocating for starting my next campaign with 'everybody at level 1 gets a special character-specific feat that can be pretty much anything, within reason, moderated by DM to make sure they're all of about the same power. It could enable a playstyle that's normally not viable such as thrown weapons, or it could do something like give you some sort of blind sense for a blind character, or... Let you wield handaxes as refluffed into 1d8 piercing weapons.'
>>
>>52839619
It is OKAY by me
and replacing draconic I would give them the Speak with Small Beasts but rodents only
>>
File: kilart-_-5.jpg (247KB, 834x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kilart-_-5.jpg
247KB, 834x1200px
>>52839389
Adding picture for visability
>>
>>52839574
kek, is that real life
>>
>>52839459
Would that work? I assumed you would cast, conjure, cast planar binding, then the elemental would vanish before the spell finished casting. Does magic circle stop them vanishing after the spell ends?
>>
>>52839619
Sounds fine. They'd probably get a ratfolk language, some sentient races/creatures in the MM, etc get a language specific to them.
>>
>>52839574
They're going to get someone who doesn't care about all their characters because they have no investment in the people and just wants to tell a story to some random faggots on the internet, and they'll deserve every second of their pain.
>>
>>52839633
Gnomes/Goblins being unable to take over the world because they can't stop blowing themselves up has always felt oddly poignant imo.
>>
>>52839389
I'm in. My discord is Marco Rubio#3242
>>
>>52839286

Merge them with with Halflings and give Darkvision to the entire race.
>>
>>52839642
Why not just give warpicks a thrown property?
>>
>>52839494
not even a furry
but my gm allows it so fuck you
>>
>>52839494
>killyourself furfag, the rules don't allow that.

Prince being turned into a Kobold is literally a suggestion for Monster PC races in Volo's Guide to Monsters you dumb fucking asshole.
>>
>>52839637
WoW gnomes only have a distinct silhouette because halflings don't exist.
In D&D, gnomes used to be bulkier and hairier than halflings, but then 3rd edition decided to make them cute for no apparent reason. Now they're basically halflings with big noses.

>>52839642
As a feat that's reasonable, because it's +1 damage per attack. As a "just let me do it" it's dumb and anybody who asks should feel bad.

>>52839672
It should work - they're designed to work together. Conjure spells can last up to an hour, which gives you time to cast the binding spell.
>>
>>52839389
>>52839654
>>52839707
https://discord.gg/82FzbCK
Get in here
Havel's Cross 1shot
1-2 hours from now, expect 4-6 hours of entertainment, might be shorter/longer depending on how we roll
2-4 players
I'm DMing, reading/preping as I type
Probably voice only, freestyling this a bit
Bring lvl 2 character, no evil alignment (or very well concealed), D&D 5e
We will see how it goes and go from there
New players welcome
>>
>>52839793
Is it really?
I actually came up with it myself
Though I mean its not like its really all that original
>>
>>52839642
Lots of people start their games by giving out a free feat at level 1, and there's lots of reasons to do it. There's rules and guidelines in the DMG (possibly some in UA as well, either entries about feats or entries about rules) for making feats, how to balance them out and all that.

There's even rules for refluffing, and in fact it's encouraged. But refluffing doesn't apply to changing mechanics, just aesthetics. Changing the aesthetics of the two handaxes a fighter gets in his starting equipment doesn't change anything, but changing the amount of damage it does and what kind is more than that. 1d8 piercing is a rapier, and the fighter is essentially starting with four martial weapons. Maybe it's not a big deal, but maybe one of your other players is gonna be resentful that the fighter is getting 40 gp of equipment for free, meanwhile he can't afford all the shit he wanted.
>>
>>52839796
The conjure spells lasts up toan hour, while binding takes an hour. RAW the conjure spell would end just a round before you finish the binding.
>>
>>52839886
Nah, if anything they'd happen simultaneously.
Again, the spells were literally designed to work together, so RAI is definitely helping you out here.
>>
File: detail.png (355KB, 563x484px) Image search: [Google]
detail.png
355KB, 563x484px
>>52839796
>WoW gnomes only have a distinct silhouette because halflings don't exist.

Nah, Gnomes are way more diminutive and stubby
>>
I have a session in a few hours and I'm having trouble coming up with orc bosses for a lvl 5 party so it doesn't get repetitive.
>>
>>52839958
This reminds me, how bad was Sword Coast Legends anyway?
>>
>>52839928
Welp, should've read the spell
"If the creature was summoned ar created by another spell. that spell's duration is extended to match the duration of this spel!."
>>
>>52839487
Good taste my man.
>>
>>52839977
What doesn't get repetitive? Have you thrown orc bosses at them before? Just have them get there and see that demons already killed all the orc bosses or some shit
>>
>>52839977
Tell us about the tribe that the orc belongs to. You could also pull a bait and switch with the boss or take a page from WoW a lot of the bosses in the last expansion were pretty unique.
>>
>>52839977
An Orog muscle wizard
>>
>>52839977
one with a big bow and a few ranged buds. Party needs to run down a hallway at them with typical shitty FPS chest high walls, outcroppings, etc. Ideally the party will move down the hallway and end their movement by getting behind some cover. Each round the orcs will move back as well, but only at a rate of twenty feet or so. If you start them about 120 feet away it'll be a couple rounds at least before anybody catches up with them.

Orc boss with a shield and is one-handing a halberd, because you're the DM and you can do what you want. He also has PAM and a couple of regular orc mooks for each party member. He's gonna like to flip over tables and barrels and have five feet of environment between him and party members.

Acrobatic orc ninjas. In a room with two levels, stairs go up to a balcony/second floor/whatever. The orcs are gonna go up to one level, throw shuriken, then hop down to the other level when the party chases after them. They're gonna love when they figure out how to grab the orcs and stop them running around. The leader might have an ability to teleport into shadows.
>>
File: 1492867662-20170422[1].png (573KB, 684x1321px) Image search: [Google]
1492867662-20170422[1].png
573KB, 684x1321px
Do you create your dungeons according to class and race structures /tg/?
>>
Has anybody here tried having your players pre-roll initiative four or five times to start a session? I hate how initiative slows down everything midsession.
>>
>>52839977
An orc warlord, who isn't actually good at fighting himself - it's his special features and legendary actions you're supposed to be afraid of.

Have him be supported by a group of Thugs or City Guards, shit maybe even Orcs. While they're within 30 feet of him, they attack with an advantage, and their damage dice is doubled.
As a legendary action, he can make one of the orcs make an attack, or cast a Healing Word on one of them. His minions use PC rules for dying, death saving throws and all.
>>
File: file.png (835KB, 819x1158px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
835KB, 819x1158px
>>52839819
Bump
1/4 spots filled
>>
>>52839977
>>52840091
>an intimidating and skilled Orc fighter/barbarian type
>what's that on his back?
>it's a goblin!
>casting evocation spells and other such things

Also consider masking the environment part of the fight also, things like cover and hazards that could harm or even help the players. Or the goblin caster begins charging a massive spell and on his next turn unleashes a barrage of 1d4 magic missiles at each player, forcing them to either contend with the damage or take cover.
>>
>>52839992
It's like Baldur's Gate or NWN but with a 5e inspiration instead of 3.5e. It's also a lot more casualized for console play. Other than that it's a halfway decent crpg, the combat AI is pretty fucking janky though. There's no way to pause and move your entire party away from an AoE since the combat AI won't do that itself so the boss fights are really a struggle.
>>
>>52840125
How does initiative slow things down? Everything else about combat sure, but initiative?
>>
>>52840125
That sounds like a pretty cool idea.
>Roll Initiative 4 or 5 times, record the values
>Let them choose which one they want to go with at the beginning of combat
>"Do I want to go high, or low? Is there another battle after this?"
>>
>>52840121
Who cares, I don't play with Tumblr so it's not an issue
>>
>>52839992
Really, really shallow and basically plays like an isometric MMO, but not anywhere near as bad as people made it out to be.

It's nowhere near as insufferably dry as Pillars of Eternity and feels sufficiently like a D&D story if that's your jam.
>>
>>52840069
So it a group of clans. One pair is a giant and orc duo. Giant just runs around hitting people while the orc rides him uses a longbow/magic to pick people off.

Another one he has this demon mask that let's him command animals and buff him up as a Tanruk so he'll have a couple of orc minions running around releasing various beasts they've captured from their cages to join in on the fight.
>>52840112
>Orc boss with a shield and is one-handing a halberd, because you're the DM and you can do what you want. He also has PAM and a couple of regular orc mooks for each party member. He's gonna like to flip over tables and barrels and have five feet of environment between him and party members.
>Acrobatic orc ninjas. In a room with two levels, stairs go up to a balcony/second floor/whatever. The orcs are gonna go up to one level, throw shuriken, then hop down to the other level when the party chases after them. They're gonna love when they figure out how to grab the orcs and stop them running around. The leader might have an ability to teleport into shadows.

I can fuck heavy with those

>>52840129
>Have him be supported by a group of Thugs or City Guards, shit maybe even Orcs. While they're within 30 feet of him, they attack with an advantage, and their damage dice is doubled.
>As a legendary action, he can make one of the orcs make an attack, or cast a Healing Word on one of them. His minions use PC rules for dying, death saving throws and all.

Interesting

>>52840170
>>an intimidating and skilled Orc fighter/barbarian type
>>what's that on his back?
>>it's a goblin!
>>casting evocation spells and other such things
>Also consider masking the environment part of the fight also, things like cover and hazards that could harm or even help the players. Or the goblin caster begins charging a massive spell and on his next turn unleashes a barrage of 1d4 magic missiles at each player, forcing them to either contend with the damage or take cover.
That sounds like fun
>>
File: Tanarukk.jpg (64KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
Tanarukk.jpg
64KB, 400x362px
>>52839977
Make them demon worshippers. The clan's led by a Tanarukk, while they also have some orcish tieflings (use feral abyssal tieflings to modify some berserkers)
>>
>>52840010
Heh.. t-thanks...
>>
>>52840170
Hell yeah m8
>>
>>52840281
>Sociology is Tumblr
Please tell us about your setting with 100% CE races, benevolent dictatorships, and no peasant uprisings. Because it sounds amazingly stupid.
>>
>>52839977
Orc Gangsters trying to corner the market in liquor smuggled into the dungeon/whatever. With full on Edward G. Robertson impression voices. Tailored (studded leather) suits, complete with trilbies. Repeating crossbows with drum magazines.
>>
>>52840292
>let's him command animals
This can really be as ridiculous/interesting as you want, depending on what kind of game you've been running and what kind of players you have. I tend to treat my bosses with phases.
For instance you could have the fight with this Orc be pretty standard at first, maybe some interestingly exotic animals (apes, giant grabs etc.) are running around the arena fighting the player but then they get him to half health. At that point the Orc changes it up a bit, perhaps he summons his most prized pet; A giant snake. The snake swallows the orc up to his waist and now the orc boss has the mobility of a giant snake, some extra AC or half-cover AND there's the thrashing snake's tail to deal with. It is important to give the players some unique oppurtunities during this though like if they kill the snake while the orc is still in its mouth perhaps he becomes stuck or even impaled on the snake's fangs.
I can think of some stuff for the giant as well depending on the relationship between the tribes.
>>
So I got an issue.

>CR 6 party
>4 members: human bard, human mystic, drow wizard and dwarf fighter(me)
>find out that we need to kill a death tyrant
>pick up an NPC Cleric of Lythander, probably close to our level
>current plan is to approach its lair, deploy Daerns Instant Fortress in front of its lair (I'm looking to not use this item cheezily), deploy Magic circle that it cannot leave in front of the tower using a magic circle sewn onto a cloth, have our casters/bard (who is using a holy crossbow) stand in another circle that it cannot enter, the mystic is going to bait it with a CHA based taunt effect (idk) while wearing a Pro Evil spell (from our cleric), the cleric is going to be invisible next to circle 1, and activate it when the ET is over it, I'll charge out of the gate of DIF and hit it with a holy weapon that I happen to have.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Anything we are lacking?

By the way, the DM has heavily warned me to not use DIF in a mega cheese way, otherwise ROCKS FALL or something worse.
>>
>>52840381
>Dungeons
>Having anything to do with the outside setting

Calm down sperg the question was specific to dungeons, if it's just a bunch of monsters like the comic illustrates who cares.

If it's an actual race the operates out side the dungeon then it runs the same as it does outside.
>>
>>52840508
>Dungeons are just a bunch of monsters
>Goblins don't have a social hierarchy
>Dwarves are not organized in a strict clan system
Sorry, you are wrong on this. If a dungeon is run by an intelligent race it has a society. You don't have to autistically explore it like the players in the comic, but pretending it doesn't exist is equally moronic.
>>
>>52840485
What if he doesn't bite the bait?
>>
New DM here.

A player commanded an Ogre to kill one of his goblin companions. Was that way outside the realm of what might be considered a reasonable use of the spell?
>>
>>52840575
Errr, I mean they used the spell Suggestion, not Command.
>>
>>52840547
I think it's a "spell" that causes him to focus all his attention onto one target. With that, the mystic player will have to beat feet back to the ambush spot.
>>
>>52840485
I don't see why the fortress is required and it might seriously blow your cover. You could just hide in a hole in the ground.
>>
>>52840596
>The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable.
How did the player word the suggestions? If it was just "kill your buddy" it's an absolute misuse of the spell. "Suggestion" is not "Dominate Person."
>>
>>52840381
I have a simple rule for my game: "any current social issue is not going to be in the game". I'm here to DM not preach and the players are here to have fun not argue or get butthurt.
>>
>>52840639
"These goblins are laughing at you, you should punish them."

I allowed it because they had just slayed the Ogre's wife on the previous turn and figured the Ogre's grief might make that seem reasonable.
>>
>>52840641
I understand not bringing political discussion into the game, but unless the game is pure hack-and-slash/dungeon delve, the players will eventually deal with a society. No society should be an obvious mirror of a real-world situation, but you can't just outright remove all class struggle, poverty, racism (fantasy racism, that is), economic relations, diplomacy, etc. from your setting or it will be extremely shallow and uninteresting.
Even Forgotten Realms has social issues, and Forgotten Realms is D-tier worldbuilding at best.
>>
>>52840508
It's not required, but if you have it, why not use it? Also it already knows we are on the way to it. Paranoid bastard.
>>
>>52840609
Yeah, it's probably Mantle of Awe, Center of Attention.
But the mystic DC should be about 15 and the Death Tyrant has +9 to CHA saves, so it's about 30% chance of actually affecting it.
>>
>>52840684
wrong
>>
What would be the implications of space literally being the astral plane?
>>
>>52840736
Great argument
>>
>>52840757
Spelljamming?
>>
>>52840781
That's a given, what else?
Ghosts/egregores in space?
>>
Do you tell your players to roll perception or do you just use their character's passive perception for ambushes?
>>
>>52840757
I'm working on a setting just like that, actually.
Obviously, vessel design would be different, because the astral plane is not a vacuum and you can breath in it. Astral craft would not have to be airtight and could have observation decks. Such craft could have storage and controls on any surface, including the ceiling, because of the lack of gravity.
Navigation would mostly be accomplished by locating color pools. So anyone who wants to get somewhere would need some magical/technological locator device.
Since the astral plane is not nearly as stupidly large and empty (and hostile to life) as real-world space, it would make exploration and trade a lot simpler. However, it would also make piracy and such a lot simpler.
Overall, you end up with something resembling a cross between the Age of Sail and a many-worlds galactic sci-fi setting.
>>
>>52840837
Passive. I tell them to roll if they are actively looking for something.
>>
>>52840822
Go full 40k
>>
File: TheReasonForPassivePerception.gif (86KB, 675x902px) Image search: [Google]
TheReasonForPassivePerception.gif
86KB, 675x902px
>>52840837
This is why you use passive perception. It's not that you shouldn't trust your players not to metagame, it's that it's better to never give them the opportunity to begin with.
>>
>>52840735
Really? Because we were banking on that DT have a low CHA due to they have no social skills.
>>
File: kilart-_-ssd.jpg (145KB, 582x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kilart-_-ssd.jpg
145KB, 582x1000px
>>52839819
Bump again
3 spots open
Using roll20
>>
>>52840893
That's more like the warp, which isn't entirely what im looking for.
>>
>>52840757
You could have the various planes as other planets.
>>
>>52840837
Passive is solely for this use.

And really, 'spam perception everywhere to find the things your DM isn't telling you' is cancer anyway.

Give hints and then let players use investigation and such to investigate clues, rather than locking extra content behind 'Well, why didn't you ask to roll perception every 5 minutes?'
>>
>>52841020
I am doing that, what else could I do? I don't think colour pools make much sense for space.
>>
>>52841086
Color pools?

Or wormholes.
>>
I get to be a player and not a DM!
How's this for a character:
Lupheph (level 3)
Human Ranger(Revised) Primeval Guardian
Tunnel Fighter
Favored enemy: Monstrosities

Deer skull on the head, boots and armor made of bark and plant fiber. Relatively large for a woman, with short auburn hair. A very large piece of white flint knapped into a blade is tied to the length of bone, making a glaive. Green eyes, with a body more muscular than aesthetic. A sprig of mistletoe hangs from the side of the helmet. Small flowers, vines, and fungus grow from the bark.
Grew to adulthood away from civilization deep in the forests with treant and eladrin protectors. Discovering a secret truth about nature and yearning for exploration, she left her home in the wild. Naive of the ways of the civilized world, but goodhearted. (low, low Int score and no proficiency in any Int check. Reads/writes out loud and slowly, ignorant of law, money dealing, and unaware of typical social norms. Instinctive in decision making guided by innate wisdom, protective of friends, plants, and animals, and has zero misgivings about killing those of evil disposition, regularly cheerful, confident in own abilities, awed by great intellect and learning). Guardian Soul ability gives a frightening appearance of willow-like dress over bark skin dotted with fungus and moss, and a face cloaked in shadow behind a deer skull mask from which green eyes glow.

Typical actions are to close the distance -> melee attack if possible, defensive stance once within 10 foot range and successfully interposing herself and her reach between enemies and her allies. Tree form to extend reach, size for interposition and durability as necessary. Hunter's mark as necessary. Ensnaring strike to potentially disable flyers or critical targets, entangle for control as necessary. Longbow is a ranged fallback. 1 hand martial weapon and shield as a side kit.

Pass without Trace and Darkvision as 2nd level spells for obvious reasons.
>>
>>52840546
>Dwarves live in dungeons
>Goblins aren't just hp bags with Orcs that aren't seen past level 3

Did you just assume my setting?
>>
>>52841369
>[anything] is just an hp bag
I guess I was giving your setting too much credit.
>>
>>52839494
D&D 5e isn't for gritty low fantasy with the players trudging through the muck and misery in dreadful environments, with magic being rare, mysterious/alien force that corrupts the user. If you wanted to mod the system to the point where it handles something like that well, you'd basically be reinventing the entire system from the ground up, at which point you'd be better off just playing a system more inherently suited for that sort of thing, like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e, or Symbaroum. D&D is good for high-flying high fantasy. Not much else.
>>
I just wanna dungeon crawl, why does nobody run a good old dungeon crawl anymore?
>>
File: 1479174204102.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1479174204102.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
>>52841611
>Goblins
>Something that wont be interacted with past 3rd level

I guess I gave your ability to read too much credit. They aren't a society in the setting, they are a group of monsters in a dungeon. Its ok though, you're jimmies are rustled and you're upset that not everyone wants every group of monsters to have depth beyond "Deus Vult"
>>
>>52841696
D&D is for whatever the fuck you want to run with it.
And 5e is explicitly made to be low-magic, so you're wrong on multiple levels.
>>
>>52839819
Gonna attempt this again tomorrow at 19:00 CEST, sunday
Feel free to join the discord til then
>>
>>52841702
This.

That's why I'm gonna DM one. Everybody just does 'sandbox open world fuck around and get nothing done while talking to random people on the road' games.
>>
>>52841755
>5e is explicitly made for low-magic
"Low" compared to 3.5/4e maybe. Not so much when you compare it to Runequest or WHFB. On the greater scale here 5e is still pretty high up in terms of how much magic gets thrown around. Hell, only three classes in the core game don't get magic by default, and they can all pick it up through archetypes.
>>
>>52841755
You are wrong on so many levels.
Tieflings and dragonborn as a playable race is not low-fantasy.
Fire bolt, the ability to create infinite bolts of fire with your mind, as a level 0 cantrip that a character can start with at level 1, is not low magic.
Paladins being similar to what Duskblades were in 5e, with the ability to just add magical effects to their attacks when they hit by spending a spell slot, especially with the power being available at such an early level, is almost in direct opposition to a low-magic, low-fantasy setting.
>>
>>52841909
Except barbarian.
>>
>>52841755
I disagree with this. It's made to have fewer and much rarer magic items, but there a bunch of ways to get cantrips, so magic isn't made to look very rare.

You can actually use prestidigitation to run a cleaner's now, since you can cast it forever, for example.
>>
>>52841926
Totem barb gets ritual spellcasting and abilities that are an absolute pain in the ass to fluff as nonmagical.
>>
>>52841972
You're right, I misspoke. "Low on magic items" is not the same as "low magic."
>>
File: cirno ?.jpg (134KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cirno ?.jpg
134KB, 800x800px
>>52840191
>Baldur's Gate
>3.5e inspiration
>>
>>52837602
Have you tried playing PF? It seems well suited to your severe autism and sense of entitlement.
>>
>>52841909
If you think of high fantasy as 'anime bullshit all day long', then 5e certainly isn't that while I'd say some previous editions are morelikethat.
So, yeah, what you said, low compared to 3.5/4e.
I'd call 5e more about medium-high fantasy, but if we go down this path we'll have some sperger ramming himself into the conversation saying 'Askhually high fantasy is most commonly determined by whether or not you're playing on earth'.
>>
>>52842355
And if you play a caster you can shit over everything.
>>
Setting him a Miniquest during Curse of Strahd.
One of our characters, a Champion Longbow Fighter, discovered the mangled, haunted remains of a hunter when following rumours from town. The spirit of the hunter rose up and explained that he was a werewolf hunter alongside his closest friend, who betrayed him and shot him in the back, his spirit is thirsty for revenge and demands that his companion is given what he deserves. To take his bow is to take his burden and to promise vengeance will be delivered.

On his body was a quiver of Twenty +1, Silvered Arrows, and a +1 Longbow, which was cursed with the sword-of-vengeance effect, forcing a will save after being hit or your next attacks must target who harmed you.

As they travelled, the discovered that his companion was a lycanthrope, whom they tracked down to the outskirts of the werewolf den only to find that he was taken by the Abbot. When they confronted the Abbot he eventually explained how he found the wounded werewolf and claimed him to his laboratory, putting a combination of his corpse-crafting and mad experiments with the Mongrelfolk to create an abomination sentinel that could contest the forces of Strahd, a mindless eight feet tall, skeletally thin four armed mutant werewolf flesh-golem with perception beyond perception, accuracy beyond accuracy who could volly arrows at great speed. The spirit of the bow, not content with this cruel fate still demands that his traitor friend be destroyed. The Abbot explains how he found the creature far too unstable, and now it remains trapped in a stone tower in the forests, slaying everything that comes within range of his bow.

So the showdown with the Mutant-Archer Wolf I want to involve them trying to approach the tower from several hundred feet away while the Archer shoots at them, while they try to close the distance between him through a field of arrow-peppered trees and skeletal mounds. Kind of similar to the Blind-Archer scenario from Samurai Jack.
>>
File: 1492883271306.png (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1492883271306.png
1MB, 1680x1050px
How would you make pic related?
>>
>>52842696
I'm trying to come up with ways to handle to "Tower Approach" without it being either A) I dash and run half the distance and take some damage I guess. or B) So he is shooting at us and we can barely fight back thats BS!

Inventive uses of cover, traps or the like to soften them up with the few showdowns? Or try to run it as more of a 4e style "Skill encounter" calling ability checks to surmount obstacles and occasionally making attack rolls when they fail, or make poor decisions, or just to keep tensions high.

The creature also plans on using Legendary actions since it will be a Solo fight, but other than "Legendary action, Make a Longbow attack." I'm not sure what to give, maybe a hefty kick that shoves back and knocks prone? Or a unsightly howl that inspires fear, which could be nice to slow progression towards the tower if I run it as a combat.

The reward for slaying the creature will be the Everflowing Quiver and some treasure reward, but importantly the curse on the bow is lifted, transforming it into a +2 Oathbow.
>>
What are some good spells for a Sea Sorcerer? I imagine anything that can trigger my Curse multiple times per casting is good.
>>
>>52842776
Also, for the 3 Relics to defeat Strahd I'm mixing them up a little bit.

The Holy Symbol will also shroud the players from Strahd gaze, making it more difficult for him to spy on their actions since once I imagine they start picking these items up it becomes far less of a game for him so having some protection against his scrying seems key to explain him not simply walking up and killing you all at level 5.

The Sword, because every campaign has a fucking sunblade in it, will be replaced with Sergei's Armour, +2 Platemail that gives advantage against the saving throws from undead creatures.

Unsure what to do with the book, as the thing gives absolutely no advantage or boon other than telling you "Yo, Strahds a Vampire." but I'm thinking maybe an Attunement focus that grants an arcane spellcaster benefits, or possibly an array of charges and necromancy spells like a wand or staff?
>>
>>52842876
You could feasibly refluff the sunsword as a lightsabre.
>>
>>52842963
The sword IS a lightsabre.

But seriously, every campaign has one as treasure like WoTC has a fetish for it. Rise of Tiamat has one, Out of the Abyss has one, Curse of Stahd has one. I'm sure the only reason the Storm Kings book doesn't have one is because they decided to go with "Give your players 4 items of your choice." instead.
>>
>>52843003
>4 sunswords
>>
>>52841702
God right? I'm running one with some friends, it's a bunch of fun. The tension is great in a dungeon full of traps and patrolling monsters.
>>
>>52843043
1d4 of them are also intelligent.
>>
Do any of you minmaxing multiclassing autists ever back it up with an actual story? Not trying to bait or troll, I just really think little of you.
>>
>>52843043
>>52843118
Now we can really fuck shit up.
>>
>>52843139
Yes. My Fighter/Wizard had a good reason for having 2 levels of Fighter.

Also I played a Druid/Ranger with PAM that really just used "martial Druid training" as his excuse for existing which works.

Honestly it's not hard to make a reason for anything but I still hate Warlock/Paladin with a passion.
>>
>>52837340
>The point of the skeleton guard isn't to give the best possible list of spells. It's to keep them a tier below the party but still with us, so they're not getting knocked out on the first round of initiative and they can scale with us as we level up.
Completely missing the point of 5e here. They don't need to scale to be useful. If you want them to live longer, look up "how do I get my skeletons to live longer" and stop trying to homebrew magic items.

Also, skeletons can't use scrolls and cantrip scrolls cast at level 1.

>>52838354
No, it's definitely the optimizing faggots.
>Can I have a use-activated sword of a level 1 spell?
>Oh btw, it's true strike.
The GM can just say no, but it's still a burden compared to not having to say no.>>52838567
>if the barbarian player is smart he takes the "tough" feat.
Barbarians don't have the defender of a paladin, cleric, or fighter in plate armor, the hp difference between 4+con and 7+con isn't double, and tough is a bad feat. You sound like a moron.

>>52838970
It's weapon attacks and attacks with weapons. You're confusing the poor anon.
>>52839452
The crafting rules don't allow you to equip an army of peasants with power armor because the game isn't about peasant armies in power armor. In short, fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>52840282
What was wrong with PoE my good man?
>>
>>52843139
I think really little of autist DMs and players that take excessive control and impose arbitrary restrictions beyond those reasonable for a coherent story.
I put at least as much effort into fluff as I do mechanics
>>
>>52843203
Ancients + Archfey
Devotion + Undying Light

Combo pretty well but everything else is a stretch.

To be honest though with archtypes, backgrounds and freedom of skill proficiencies I find it hard to justify any multiclass for character idea that can't just be handled as a monoclass with a theme.

If you're multiclassing then honestly you must be cheese-hunting.
>>
>>52843203
Not that guy, but I honestly despise people who create characters based on mechanical advantage.
>>
>>52843264
>that take excessive control and impose arbitrary restrictions
Yeah, god forbid they want to use Optional Rules A and B but not the optional rule for Multiclassing or that super-keen splatbook race.
Filthy tyrants.
>>
>>52840209

Thank you anon, you answered my question perfectly.
>>
>>52840485
Yeah you've got an issue. You got your spreadsheets mixed with your DnD stuff. It's a GAME. That you PLAY.
>>
When I'm making a cleric if my wisdom modifier is +4 and my level is one which gives me 5 spells, do I have five regular cleric spells and whatever my domain gives me or what my domain gives me and whatever spells I could fit for the day?
>>
>>52843139
>>52843264
>>52843291
>>52843322
But powergamers should just play Pathfinder.
>>
>>52843139
Not really, because DDAL couldn't care less about my characters' backstory or why they do what they do beyond what they're doing. "So I took 3 levels into Rogue for Mastermind." "For the bonus action 'Help' at 30 ft away?" "Yeah, pretty much."

In my home game, again no, because Wizards don't really need any multiclassing to be awesome
>>
>>52843357
The former. Your domain spells are always prepared, and you get to prepare wisdom mod + cleric level additional spells
>>
>>52843364
Completely agree.
Unfortunately, with the shift to 5e, a lot of Pathfinder veterans are finding themselves slumming at 5e tables.
Imagine being a Pathfinder player and having to create an OPTIMAL character when you don't have 150 races and 500 class archetypes to choose from.
>>
>>52843322
That's not what I'm talking about. It's:
>Do you have a story reason to multiclass? Nah, that's not good enough. What would X class want to multiclass into Y class, that doesn't make any sense. No, your character wanting to get stronger isn't a valid reason.

I didn't know I wasn't playing my character
>>
>>52843277
>cheese hunting
Eh, more like adjusting to different difficulty levels.
>>
Can a creature even cast arcane spells and divine spells in the same statblock or not anymore?
>>
>>52843277
My main Warlock/Paladin with that is that the fluff doesn't work.

A Paladin takes and Oath which is very clearly put out with rules to follow or you'll lose it. A Warlock pledges to a creature in servitude. A lot of people seem to enjoy treating Paladin's as a servant of something but only one does, Crown.

Making a pact to directly serve something conflicts with most Oaths which want you to do what you think is the X option. What happens if the Patron wants you to kill someone who wronged it but the man was innocent and you're meant to give mercy?

I think it can lead to interesting roleplay but I wish Warlocks could "fall" from their patron where they lost their subclass abilities but gained something else would be good. So there's stakes to making a choice other then "Well if I break the Oath I lose my Paladin-ism but I can just tell my Patron to get fucked".

>>52843291
Is Ranger/Druid because you want to be a giant tree that uses his Wisdom to hit people bad?
>>
File: spoonfeedingababy.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
spoonfeedingababy.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>52843399
>Do you have a story reason to multiclass?
There's nothing that can't be simulated with Feats, especially after the last UA, which was a type of Feat I had been using for over a year already.
As a DM I don't want to listen to your tedious bullshit excuse for your mechanical combo move.
>>
>>52843393
Imagine not having to autistically maths every detail and minutae of a build, it must feel horrible.
Imagine not being able to feel smugly superior and overbearing because most classes and thus characters are more or less equal. Fuck, how can they cope.
>>
My dm is running Curse of Strahd for us, and we were transported into what I assume is Strahd's magical world while werewolf hunting. Before we went werewolf hunting of course, we had our weapons silvered. Now I looked into the PHB afterwards and it says silvering costs 100gp per weapon or 10 pieces of ammo and we got it for free. Did we just receive something extremely powerful (we're level 2) or will it not matter much?
>>
>>52843413
I don't think there are any examples of that but it's not like anything is explicitly keeping that from working. Virtually no difference between arcane and divine spells mechanically when you can ignore the material components like most monsters anyway.
>>
>>52843474
I actually ordered the Pathfinder Intrigue book, hoping as a GM that it might have some bits of inspiration for political intrigue.

My God, it was the most autistic bullshit I had ever read. Giving people "intrigue hit points" that you had to wear down to extract information or to manipulate. Libraries having "hit points" that you had to overcome to glean information from, with certain classes doing "more damage" to the Library.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>52843474
It would be great, but that system is not 5e.
It's just more sane, not yet perfect.
>>
>>52843393
I don't know if Pathfinder veteran is something to be proud of. It just implies you hate change, have severe autism and are prone to screeching and flipping table fits because you didn't get your way.
>>
>>52840485
You can't just instantly activate any magic circle that I'm aware of.
>>
>>52843542
Par for the course. Come on, you wouldn't hunt werewolves without silver weapons!
>>
>>52843542
You're in Strahd's Magical Realm now, take every bennie you can get.
>>
>>52840121
If my players want to play a Volo's Monster they have to deal with getting crap from NPC's in major human cities like Waterdeep where the party is based organizationally.
>>
>>52843544
Just a really shitty social combat subsytem tacked on to a chassis that wasn't made for it, then?
>>
>>52843544
Having actual game mechanics for those kinds of things sounds alright to me. Although since it's pathfinder it's basically a given that they did a shit job of it anyway so...
>>
>>52843542
>hunting werewolves at level 2

Sounds like your DM just wanted to jump straight into the fun stuff.
>>
>>52840684
>Implying you're going to deal with any of those issues in your game in anything but a shallow and uninteresting way.
You can't force a perspective on problems that occur organically. You have to treat them with subtlety if you have any respect.
>>
File: -e20915b9fbfb144f.jpg (141KB, 2000x1089px) Image search: [Google]
-e20915b9fbfb144f.jpg
141KB, 2000x1089px
>>52843586
Fuck I have no idea, I have only played regular 3e and 3.5, never Pathfinder.
It just shocked me that they had essentially turned the Godfather Part II into damage rolling and chart consultation.

Apparently hitting on the Duchess at court should mean literally grinding down her psyche hit points with your +2 Charm or something.

It's a how-to book for Never Being Forced to Roleplay Again.
>>
>>52843544
Wait, is that how intrigue works according to them?
What the fuck were they smoking?
>>
>>52843382
And if I use domain spells I won't be able to use them again like regular spells until the next day right?
>>
>>52843545
Are you saying PF is a more sane system than 5e?
>>
>>52843626
But why do Pathfinder players think their game is alright and swear by it and they have this extreme breadth of options and think 5e is complete shit because 5e is pigeonholed and suffers from crippling choiceless options?
>>
>>52843436
>Do you have a story reason to multiclass? Nah, that's not good enough.
You missed the part where multiclassing is available, but subject to someone else's whims. I've got not problem with a DM banning clerics because they don't fit the story, but when you have a Fighter and a Ranger, and you can be a second Fighter or Ranger, but not a Fighter/Ranger multiclass because "your character training with the militia because they want to get better at fighting isn't a good enough reason", that's when you back out of that game.
>>
>>52843657
I don't think he's saying that.
>>
>>52843568
>>52843569
Alright, I guess you're right!

>>52843596
Well we only encountered one before finding ourselves on the road to what I assume is Barovia (a small, dilapidated village). Even so, we had three NPCs helping us (there's three of us) and we barely downed a single werewolf, so I guess we aren't too overpowered?
>>
Can someone give me a good idea for how a Shadow Sorcerer got their powers? I was thinking of something that involved him dying and coming back to life but that seems rather edgy.
>>
>>52843696
I didn't catch the part about Multiclassing being available but restricted.
I simply do not allow multiclassing, and given the number of people who'd take a spot at my table, you're more than welcome to back right on out.
>>
>>52843434
>Is Ranger/Druid because you want to be a giant tree that uses his Wisdom to hit people bad?
Yes, because mechanics are an explicit part of that "character concept."
Good concept:
>Ranger/druid that turns into a tree
Bad (mechanical) concept:
>Ranger/druid that uses [stat] for multiple things
That said, I'm not the anon you're arguing with and I wouldn't really give a shit if I was your DM, but don't try to pretend "wanting to attack with wisdom" is a fluff consideration.
>>
>>52843696
Bring back the arbitrary multiclassing restrictions from 2e!
>>
>>52843712
You're getting your powers from edgetown. It's pretty hard to avoid the edge.

Possibly you're descended from some kind of shadow beast, like Shadar-Kai or similar.
>>
>>52843729
Wow you're a bad DM.
>>
>>52843743
Maybe it's just Edge from the Edge Dimension?
>>
File: 30743895.jpg (101KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
30743895.jpg
101KB, 400x400px
>>52843750
>>
>>52843657
No, wtf no!
But 5e isn't the holy grail of game balance either, it's just the same wotc's d&d but with an effort towards balance.
>>
File: Capture.png (112KB, 474x107px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
112KB, 474x107px
Is there any point to taking this? It seems extremely situational because the corpses of people you kill probably aren't willing to give you any truthful or even useful answers.

What are some other useful invocations? I have Eldritch Sight, Agonizing Blast, Book of Ancient Shadows, and Mask of Many Faces.
>>
>>52843606
There's a difference between "treating them subtly" and "claiming they don't exist."
My setting has a bunch of social issues, but they don't come up in 95% of sessions because they're not relevant and not the point of the game. When they finally come up organically, I have details to fall back on, because my goblins aren't just chunks of hit points.
>>
>>52843656
Yes, domain spells require spell slots to cast like your other prepared spells.
>>
>>52843781
90% of the quality of any TTRPG experience comes from the quality and enthusiasm of the people involved.
5e's system is more than adequate to supply the other 10% needed.
Shit like Pathfinder tries to provide an extra 40% of mechanical autism to cover for the socially inept.
>>
>>52843793
>the corpses of people you kill probably aren't willing to give you any truthful or even useful answers.
What about the bodies of people others have killed? Did you see who killed you? Do you have any worldly possessions I can have?
Chance to mock the BBEG after you kill them, take his skull and mock him every morning
>>
>>52843793
>It seems extremely situational because the corpses of people you kill probably aren't willing to give you any truthful or even useful answers.
True but victims might. Honestly it depends on the DM. The Cleric I run for just tends to ask really obvious and stupid questions.
>>
>>52843656
Domain spells use regular spell slots. They're not extra uses of magic, just extra options.

>>52843735
Train your classes side-by-side, very slowly, and take penalties, or stick to single class. Oh, and you only have 3 classes to choose from and your max level for them is 8. :DD
>>
>>52843743
>>52843758
How far do I go into edgy territory before it stops being funny? I could go for the comically edgy thing but only sometimes and act normal for the rest.
>>
File: Mongo.jpg (24KB, 375x358px) Image search: [Google]
Mongo.jpg
24KB, 375x358px
Multiclassing only exists as an Optional Rule in 5e because Wizards knew that leaving it out would leave 3.Splatbook babies utterly traumatized the moment everyone else adopted 5e. Backgrounds/Archetypes covers pretty much every concept that isn't blatantly ridiculous or meme-worthy.
>>
What do people think of the 5e monster statblocks and monster's abilities?
They seem really heavily slanted to combat-only abilities but occasionally you might find something that has a bit more of a fluff-centred mechanic.
Just disappointed they couldn't give you more of a description rather than just leaving it as a generic slate.
>>
>>52843844
>suddenly reminded of 2e dualclassing
AUUUUGH FUCK I CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
>>52843896
desu I ban
1. Non-humanoid races (cucko's manual of black cocks)
2. Multishitting
3. PF""""players""", gurps """""""""fans""""""""""""" and other ape-like filth
4. Homebrewing of ANY kind
5. UA
>>
>>52843904
The descriptions aren't in the statblock but it's not like they aren't in the MM.
>>
>>52843904
I think think the MM wastes more than enough space on individual monsters, and wastes too much on things like Dragons and redundant extraplanars.
Would have enjoyed some Dire Animals over "Diabolical lower plane fiend race #4) to be quite honest.
>>
>>52843919
So far, the only UA I have found to be of any value was the most recent one, again because I had already incorporated Skill Expertise/+1 Attribute feats in my game.
>>
>>52843912
No no, 2e's dual-classing was like modern-day multiclassing. Except with ridiculous stat requirements. And you had to be human. And because of THAC0 it meant you stopped progressing in attack accuracy for several years.
>>
>>52843942
Aren't dire animals basically just what the giant variants of beasts are in 5E? Does a giant badger not cover what you need for a dire badger?
>>
>>52843972
You also wouldn't get experience if you used any of the abilities from your previous class until you equaled its level in your new class.

It was a bad time.
>>
>>52843919
Honestly I have no issue with using UA. I've found most players aren't such retarded autists that they will go out of their way to make the most broken thing possible.

As long as they're having fun and I can create interesting adventures I enjoy running then there's no issue because it's all for fun.
>>
File: Animal Dire (2).jpg (31KB, 564x477px) Image search: [Google]
Animal Dire (2).jpg
31KB, 564x477px
>>52843973
Not exactly, and I was thinking more like Dire Tigers and Dire Bears, animals with an actual CR, not CR2 versions of CR 1/8 or 0 critters.

There's far too many CR 1/8 to 3 Monsters in the MM, especially with the rapid advancement players make at the first 3 levels.
>>
>>52843997
>>52843967
>Wanting untested basically third party shit in your game
fucking REPUGNANT.
>>
>>52844052
Again, I had implemented Expertise feats over a year ago.
I was honestly surprised such a thing didn't exist, the system really cried out for it.

Consider it tested.
>>
>>52844007
An odd way to go around it but an Owlbear makes a fine slightly higher CR bear. Suppose you are a bit stuffed for Dire Tigers beyond the Sabre-Tooth which is only CR2.
>>
Is Silver-Tongued worth it on a Sorcerer with quickened Scorching Ray?
>>
>>52844080
So many times my players just always wanted to multiclass rogue or bard because it was the only way to make your character noticeably good at a skill.
>>
>>52844080
>Homebrewing
Here, this page is for you dandd.wiki.com kill your fucking self and then >>>/tg/pfg
>>
>>52844156
>Something the DMG not only encourages but gives ideas for
>>
File: its_magic.jpg (54KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
its_magic.jpg
54KB, 720x479px
>>52844148
Expertise makes you phenomenally good at a skill, and it's also a good answer for the "Wrestle Barbarian" fans.
>>52844156
>>
Playing a hexblade bladelock tiefling. He is good fun I hope they make it a official pact.
>>
>>52843238
>the defender of a
The fuck did I type here and can I blame it on my phone. The defenses of.
>>
>>52844209
Hexblade's fun as fuck to play. It really is the fix bladelocks needed.

Mine was a Human in service to a Vampire thanks to some refluffing. I wanted an Undying Bladelock and my DM let me use it.
>>
>>52843256
Too many bugs on release, not fun to play, lacks an engaging story.
>>
>>52840485
why would the death tyrant leave and not just lel at you until you get bored
>>
>>52844195
Anyone relying on Barb or Expertise for their grappler is a memelord.
>>
>>52844296
True, but now they aren't a multiclassing memelord.
>>
>>52844156
5e wants you to homebrew and modify your game, you tard, but within reason as well, you have to understand the underlining power level and scaling of the system.
>>
File: nedhum.png (607KB, 941x539px) Image search: [Google]
nedhum.png
607KB, 941x539px
>>52844296
>tfw Battlemaster Tavern Brawler master race
>>
File: dwarf barb.jpg (101KB, 564x782px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf barb.jpg
101KB, 564x782px
I'm planning to play a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian soon. I've only ever played a Bard once before.

Is Totem path wholly better in every way over Berserker? It seems you have to go through a lot of heartache as a Berserker to get to Retaliation, but Totem Spirits seem to give a lot of strong benefit from start to finish.

Wolf, Bear, Bear - Friends get advantage when creature is attacking Barb, enemies get disadvantage on attack rolls when not attacking Barb, and advantage on STR checks.

Bear, Bear, Wolf - Take half damage, reliably knock enemies prone, and advantage on STR checks.

Both seem super strong

Hell, even Bear, Bear, Eagle is super thematic. Leaping through the air, avoiding floor hazards and magic walls seems really cool, even if it isn't the strongest combination.

Has anyone played a Berserker and enjoyed it with all the drawbacks?
>>
>Not just limiting race class options to the big 4 classes cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard and 4 base races humans, dorfs, elves, shortstacks

It's like you guys all play with min maxers and and special snowflakes
>>
>>52844364
Yeah it is pretty much accepted that berserker is just straight up shit.
>>
File: Berserker.jpg (42KB, 564x771px) Image search: [Google]
Berserker.jpg
42KB, 564x771px
>>52844364
Yes, Totem is much better than RAW Berserker.
The whole Exhaustion thing is pretty crippling. Especially since a long rest only removes one level of it, and nothing else aside from Greater Restoration helps.

The Berserker in my campaign just gets an additional attack while Frenzied (and takes the Exhaustion as normal). It hasn't been a problem
>>
File: Barbarian Axe.jpg (39KB, 564x640px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian Axe.jpg
39KB, 564x640px
>>52844463
This is, in fact, the archetype I roll with:
Frenzy
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the Duration of your rage you gain an extra attack. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of Exhaustion (as described in Conditions).
Mindless Rage
Beginning at 6th level, you can’t be Charmed or Frightened while raging. If you are Charmed or Frightened when you enter your rage, the effect is suspended for the Duration of the rage.
Intimidating Presence
At 10th level, your fearsome mien bolsters the courage of your comrades. As long as you are conscious and not incapacitated, all allies within 30' who can see you may add your proficiency bonus to saves against the Frightened condition.
Retaliation
Starting at 14th level, when you take damage from a creature that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon Attack against that creature.
>>
>>52844364
Berserker's not terrible. It has one of the highest damage outputs in the game while Frenzying.

Honestly my biggest issue is the fact GWM already gives you a Bonus Action attack when you kill something... and a Barbarian can kill something pretty much every turn unless it's against strong enemies.

It does some of the best damage around when there's big enemies around and their level 6 lets them ignore the two biggest shut downs .

If you're willing to be slightly worse then totem for most of the day in exchange for much better when your abilities come up then it's fine. Also if it's for flavor reasons Berserker's pretty cool.

Zealot Barbarian's my number one favorite archetype though and does much better damage with their aura. Main issue is when teammates decide to get too close to whoever I'm killing.
>>
File: Barbarian Maul.jpg (70KB, 564x838px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian Maul.jpg
70KB, 564x838px
>>52844510
I found that the "counter-fear" ability is much more satisfying than the retarded paragraph-long "makes one guy scared with your action" level 10 ability.

It's kinda Guts-like, in that your allies are bolstered by having the scariest mofo in the valley of death on their side.
>>
>>52844601
To be fair the Berserker's normal level 10 sees more use out of combat... I like the thing you gave it but now it now all of it's abilities are combat and 50% of it only works against enemies that have fear effects.
>>
>>52843712
Maybe you fell into a dark cave filled with bats and terror.
>>
Does dual-wielding get any better if you think of the extra attack as giving you a bonus action shove or disarm?
>>
File: Guts2.jpg (126KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
Guts2.jpg
126KB, 427x640px
>>52844672
>All of it's abilities are combat
It's a Berserker, not the Knight of Golden Tea Cups. Of course it's combat-focused. It's meant to be a big-target slaying machine.
>50% only works against Fear effects
Disregarding all the situations where charm immunity can save your bacon, the stuff that throws out Frightened are exactly the sort that you can't afford to have 1/2 the party running off frightened against. It's a pretty damn useful effect, certainly moreso than half the Totem 10th level abilities.
Plus it's a 3 attack Barbarian, it doesn't need every additional ability to be crushingly powerful.
>>
>>52844725
No dual wielding still sucks
>>
Does 5e's skill system suck and how would you fix it?
>>
>>52843750
>He doesn't allow an optional rule
>WOW you're a bad DM

You have to be bait
>>
How would one go about playing an old school chaos knight?
Not like 40k chaos but a knight that serves an actual god of chaos for whatever reason. How would the knight keep his god amused and pleased? More importantly how would I do it without being one of those "lol randumb xD" players?
>>
>>52844803
Multiclassing is a reasonable rule as long as you follow the guide in the PHB.
Seems like it's just a restriction on fun at that point.
>>
Wondering if anyone here uses Roll20 for map-making? I'm trying to find wall tiles that I don't need to pay for and I'm having a Hell of a time. I'd like to put down some floors without spamming the same tiles over and over again for my players because I've only got 2 tiles with wall built in them.
>>
>>52844799
It's far and away the best Dungeons and Dragons system, and possibly the cleanest Fantasy TTRPG.
Generally the only things needing tweaking are a handful of really inept class archetypes.
>>
>>52844820
None of the optional rules are unreasonable.
None of them are entitlements, either.
Multiclassing in particular has an unfortunate side-effect of triggering player autism towards Optimization over Character.
>>
>>52844738
See that's just it. Totem Barbarian doesn't get nothing but combat, even Champions get utility for out of combat.

I feel like the level 3 change is good but I'm not sure if the level 10 really needed to be changed that much. Plus now any enemy with mind effects becomes much less of a threat to the whole party and any without makes the Berserker not feel as special.

One option I would consider is instead of making the level 6 you're immune, make it the 30' aura and you and all allies get Advantage. Then make the level use a Saving Throw keyed off strength.

Having Berserker's abilities "Do more damage, you're harder to be taken out, your allies are harder to be taken out and you do more damage" feels rather bland. Considering Totems can summon animal spirits for guidance, track better, become much better at breaking things and get legendary sight levels.
>>
>>52844866
>Totem Barbarian doesn't get nothing but combat

The level 6 Totem picks are pretty much all non-combat utility and they get several rituals.
>>
>>52844911
Sorry that's what I meant. It has access to options rather then just rage and hit.
>>
File: Barbarian polearm.jpg (42KB, 540x809px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian polearm.jpg
42KB, 540x809px
>>52844866
You're a crazed combat maniac. If you want to be subtle out of combat play a Purple Dragon Knight.

Not every ability has to be useful every single session, but when the Big Fucking Dragon or Pit Fiend materializes, the lower WIS party members will be glad to have the save bonus.

giving the party advantage is pretty much the most powerful Totem ability in the game, with Bear's resistance coming in a close second.
I would never hand out such a thing to the Berserker.

Also, because my campaign uses a very different initiative system (that favors the players and is faster), the 7th level ability is replaced thusly:
Feral Intincts
If you are suprised at the beginning of combat and aren't incapacitated, you can act normally on your first turn, but only if you enter your rage before doing anything else that turn.
Additionally, when making Intimidation or Animal Handling checks, you may substitute Strength as the modifying attribute.
>>
>>52844820
We've played a couple campaigns without multiclassing and had no issue with fun. I don't see the argument here the statement was "you're a bad DM" all because he doesn't allow an option. If that works for the players it sounds like a personal problem on your part to me.
>>
>>52844980
It looks like we just disagree about playing the game. I personally feel everyone should be more then "Pure Combat" because if someone has nothing but combat, then they should be better then everyone else at it.

When you're out damaged by other builds who also have out of combat abilities it makes you a strictly inferior option. A Paladin with PAM not only gives better saves and support but can also out damage you.

Plus these are good images, did you just get them from the art threads or what?
>>
>>52844804
Would it work better as a fighter with levels in warlock or wild magic sorcerer?
or paladin since they use charisma?
>>
>>52844804
You're not a jester, you're a knight. Your lord gave you a task and expects you to carry it out, not get your ass killed or jailed over some nickel and dime bullshit.
>>
File: Barbarian.jpg (88KB, 536x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian.jpg
88KB, 536x1000px
>>52845041
Off Pinterest.
And I don't think a 3 attack Berserker is going to be easily out-damaged by any class, and has tremendous sticking power with fear/charm immunity and Damage Resistance.

Note that at 7th level, the Barbarian is incredibly good at staring down beasts and intimidating guardsmen and the like. Your background skills should provide "utility", but the Berserker's path is specifically one of frenzied combat.

They are intended to be brutal, fearless combat machines, their party utility is staying alive and taking the lives of everything else. They don't need frills.
>>
>>52845041
Oh and personally I can't stand the "Magical Barbarians" in the UA.
Couldn't see using them except for very specific campaign concepts. Not a fan of Gish Barbarians.
>>
>>52843793
So you can animate corpses slightly without it being Evil.
>>
Anyone know how to get your groupmates to take a campaign more seriously? I'm playing as a fighter in a group of 3 other newer players. It's hard to get anyone to focus; seems like everyone just doing their own thing :/
>>
>>52845104
Most of the game you're going to be raging 4 times a day and 1 of those gets to be a Frenzy unless you want to weaken yourself massivly. 1 time during the day you're going to be getting an average of 14 extra damage per round for a minute, most combats last 2-4. You get a damage increase of 28-56 damage per day from that attack with +5 Strength and levels 1-8.

A Paladin gets +9 from each first level smite and +4.5 for each one leveled above 1st level. Plus they can use it hard when they need it or save it for when they don't. At level 8 it's a pool of 61 average extra damage that doesn't wear you out and you can apply as needed.

The level 6 is awesome on Berserkers and I agree it's a good part of them, but the level 10 you use just doesn't give enough because those don't come up that often.

>>52845134
Also I agree and that's why I'm sad the Battlerager and Berserker suck compared to others. Zealot's the only one I like because I enjoy all holy characters except Paladins.
>>
>>52845160
that would be a nope.
If the Coach "aka the DM" can't get or doesn't expect better, then there's little you can do except live with it and hope for improvement or find a new team.
>>
Sometimes I think my DM doesn't read spell descriptions and just assumes what they do.

Like every time I've cast Dispel Magic, I've never seen him roll for a save or look up the spell's level. He just thinks for a second and says whether or not it works.
>>
Anything you guys think should be changed for this? Anything unbalanced or breakable?

>https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/66yatn/otherworldly_patron_the_gelatinous_convocation/
>>
So, what does a FightGyver does, if you had to explain it to someone?
>>
>>52845267
>He just thinks for a second and says whether or not it works.
It's for the best.
>is this magic weak enough to be shattered by some shitty dispel?
>if yes, it's gone, we're not gonna fuck around with random chance and you wasting more slots recasting
>if no, then it doesn't matter if you roll a 20 or not, shit's tough; there's no 5% chance to kill a dragon with an arrow
>>
File: BarbarianFspear.jpg (42KB, 564x814px) Image search: [Google]
BarbarianFspear.jpg
42KB, 564x814px
>>52845242
Do you play much at level 10+?
I suspect not, because that's where most of the Fear-inducing monsters live.

And now I feel stupid because the entry on Frenzy doesn't read "While in a Frenzy, you ignore all effects of exhaustion", as I pasted from an earlier version. You can still hammer yourself badly when not raging, but you aren't handicapped WHILE raging.

My bad.
>>
How would you stat a Tard /5eg/?
>>
File: Undertaker11.jpg (19KB, 236x308px) Image search: [Google]
Undertaker11.jpg
19KB, 236x308px
>>52844512
>Zealot Barbarian's my number one favorite archetype though and does much better damage with their aura. Main issue is when teammates decide to get too close to whoever I'm killing.
I seriously want to do a revenant zealot barbarian at some point. If only because that's probably the best way to play the Undertaker in D&D.
>>
>>52845380
>How would you stat a Tard /5eg/?
<6 int
>>
>>52845380
14 str
8 dex
14 con
6 wis
6 int
6 cha
>>
>>52845325
Once again, you've given yourself immunity which is great and useful... And your allies get +2 to their fear saves.

A Paladin is already giving them +2-5 on that Save and I'm pretty sure one option makes them immune. Fighter's can reroll their save, Monks can stop Fear, Rangers can pick an option to get Advantage, Clerics and Druids will have awesome Wisdom Saves, Rogues get the Wisdom Save proficiency and Halflings get Advantage.

So you helped the Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard. As long as they're within 30 feet.

I honestly think the level 10 needs to be something more then +2 to a kinda common effect that most allies already get a way to deal with.
>>
File: Northman warriorsword (1).jpg (40KB, 510x652px) Image search: [Google]
Northman warriorsword (1).jpg
40KB, 510x652px
>>52845325
>Frenzy
>Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the Duration of your rage you gain an extra attack. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of Exhaustion (as described in Conditions). While in a Frenzy, you do not suffer the ill-effects of any exhaustion levels, including Death, but they take effect normally when your Frenzy ends.

>Mindless Rage
>Beginning at 6th level, you can’t be Charmed or Frightened while raging. If you are Charmed or Frightened when you enter your rage, the effect is suspended for the Duration of the rage.

>Intimidating Presence
>At 10th level, your fearsome mien bolsters the courage of your comrades. As long as you are conscious and not incapacitated, all allies within 30' who can see you may add your proficiency bonus to saves against the Frightened condition.

>Retaliation
>Starting at 14th level, when you take damage from a creature that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon Attack against that creature.

I think it's also worth noting that the 14th level ability is incredibly strong, basically a 4th attack under almost any combat circumstance.
>>
>>52845417
>14 str

Tards are extremely strong when enraged
>>
File: 1467972422381.jpg (1MB, 1000x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1467972422381.jpg
1MB, 1000x1240px
>>
>>52845296
I like it.
>>
>playing utility caster
>have to withhold myself from doing EVERYTHING well because then my other party members would be useless
>>
>>52839564
pls respond
>>
>>52845296
Aside from Jiggly Defence I like it. Nothing seems too broken on a Warlock but with multiclass I can't say.

I'd let someone play it.
>>
>>52845442
Seriously, my only issue is it's still too weak. Just add your level 10 onto the level 6 and give them their old level 10 and they become better and get an ability that's actually fun.
>>
File: Northman girl.jpg (40KB, 564x687px) Image search: [Google]
Northman girl.jpg
40KB, 564x687px
>>52845423
Firstly, it's "Proficiency Bonus" which means it's +4 at 10th level, scaling to +6 at 17th level.
Secondly in a 4-man party, you may have not have a Paladin AND a Berserker.
And sure other classes have abilities that can counter Fear or have good saves. It's noteworthy that the Berserker ability stacks with the advantage/awesome saves of some of the other classes.

And lastly, the 14th level Berserker ability is well better than any of the Totem Barbarian's.
>>
>>52845515
The old level 10 ability is pure shit that takes an entire paragraph to explain.
It's about as "useful" as a 1st level spell out of combat, and utterly useless in combat.
>>
>>52845451
>>52845469
Thoughts on the Caustic Blast ability? Do you guys think its too strong or it's okay?
>>
>>52845576
AND it's based off Charisma, as the final insult.
>>
File: 1471102769588.jpg (699KB, 1536x1984px) Image search: [Google]
1471102769588.jpg
699KB, 1536x1984px
I rolled a Dwarf Barbarian in my game and I'm wondering if I should've chosen Half-Orc.

I feel like most of the dwarf's abilities go to waste as a Barbarian. Poison resistance is useless because I went Bear Totem. Stonecunning is rarely useful as I've only had the opportunity to use it once in the 15 or so sessions we've played. The only really useful things I got out of this were Darkvision and +2 Str and +2 Con.

Maybe it's just a "grass is greener" situation, but I'm feeling like I might have made a mistake. Not just from a gameplay standpoint, but also from a roleplaying one. Half-Orc Barbarian is so natural, though I'll admit that I have issues with them as well. Overall, Dwarf Barbarian has felt pretty forced and dwarves in general seem to trend towards a one-dimensional personality.

I actually love dwarves as a race but roleplaying them is always such a challenge for me. It's hard to make them seem like actual living people rather than mere Gimli caricatures.

Help and advice are desperately wanted.
>>
>>52843003
Rise of Tiamat has a sunblade??
>>
>>52845305
A FightGyver is a martial with an extensive inventory who utilizes creativity and knowledge of physics (gained by fighting) to jury-rig objects and overcome obstacles that less-prepared, less-inventive characters believe must be tackled through magic, specialized equipment, or "the path the DM wants you to take". Using only those objects he has collected or can scrounge from an area, the FightGyver gives himself the out-of-combat utility that the rules would deny his class.

The FightGyver does not rely on an Alarm spell or Faithful Hounds to secure an area; he has run a string through the entrance way which yanks a bell or glass jar to the floor, and set bearings beneath foliage just beyond in case the intruder spots the string and steps over it.

The FightGyver doesn't play games with the ancient mechanism which obviously intends to close a passage once the party's inside; he jams the gears with everything under the sun and stacks rubble (that he makes himself if necessary) in the way of the closing barrier to permanently disable it.

The FightGyver doesn't care that this door's lock is too intricate to pick and warded against magical keys; he's just unscrewing the whole thing from its hinges and sliding it out of the way.

The FightGyver isn't going to abandon the monastery because undead are crawling up from the catacombs and everyone's low on resources; he's created barricades out of furniture, dragged barrels of cooking fat from the kitchen, and distilled the monk's wine down to a flammable syrup.

The FightGyver isn't taking that teleport circle further into the wizard's lair empty-handed; he's taking a whole table with him, because there's a reason this place isn't on the maps, and it's probably because there's an arrow trap or fire spouts or some shit three steps in from the entrance and he's not going to rely on just his ability to dodge it.

There's nothing FightGyver can't do with enough garbage and prep time.
>>
>>52845635
Imagine how you would play your half orc. Now play your dwarf like that
>>
File: Northman 2 weapons.jpg (33KB, 472x640px) Image search: [Google]
Northman 2 weapons.jpg
33KB, 472x640px
>>52845592
Burn your action to to instill Frightened on a target within 30', DC 8+proficiency+Cha Wisdom save.
So for almost every Barb, a DC 12 save at 10th level. It lasts til the end of your next turn, although you can keep burning your entire action to keep up the effect longer, as long as they keep failing this easy save.

It's one of the shittiest 10th level abilities in the game.
>>
Which FR sun god is better for a Lawful Good paladin of the oath of devotion? Amaunator or Lathander?
>>
>>52845635
Should've gone battlerager
>>
>>52845694
Same guy yo
>>
>play with two autistic guys
>one is nice if a little bit loud and awkward
>the other one is That Guy

jimsa
>>
>>52845727
But Amaunator is Lawful Neutral and Lathander is Neutral Good... Also my perusing the SCAG, it seems to treat em as two separate guys...
>>
>>52845635
>My gameplay problem is that I am not ABSOLUTELY optimal
Doesn't elicit sympathy from me
>My Roleplay problem is that I'm just not very good at it, and only work with movie stereotypes.

I can't see a race change fixing that.
>>
>>52845750
God is LN and Jesus is CG, also same guy.
>>
>>52845694
Are you a faggot or some idiot who believes in the "Greater Good" as most people define it? Lathander
Are you an incorruptible OG stick-in-the-mud whose blinding purity repulses even the most wanton of strumpets? Amaunator?
>>
>>52845751

great contribution
>>
>>52845831
What?
It sums up your problem perfectly. You like Dwarves, but not every single facet of them is dedicated to kicking-ass Barbarian style, whereas the Half-Orc is the Pure Optimal Barbarian. So you issue there is optimization.

Dwarves, like every single other race, are as one-dimensional as you choose to play them. Thus your problem here is a lack of imagination on your part. That won't be fixed with a race-change, you'll just unimaginatively play Gronk the Half-Orc.

How am I wrong?
>>
File: Sara.jpg (6KB, 217x213px) Image search: [Google]
Sara.jpg
6KB, 217x213px
>>52845775
God doesn't exist.
>>
>tfw getting to play a chainmail-wearan sword 'n board fighter in a greyhawk game
feels good man
>>
>>52845901
We are discussing a fantasy setting, try to keep up and be aware of which board you are on.
>>
>>52843003
Rise of Tiamat does not have a sun blade
>>
>>52845901
>being this nexkbeard

Just by analyzing how they are portrayed in the Bible you could determine this, real or not
>>
File: Wink.jpg (16KB, 318x263px) Image search: [Google]
Wink.jpg
16KB, 318x263px
>>52845909
Well, you are discussing fantasy...
>>
>>52845901
Neither does you're waifu!
>>
Is Shield Master a suitable substitute for Dexterity saves with a high Dex stat?
>>
>>52845882
You aren't wrong, you just went and made a post saying basically nothing, and then explained it.
I agree with you, but your first post was bad.
>>52845580
Don't let it stack with agonising blast and it's fine.
>>
>>52845882
>You like Dwarves, but not every single facet of them is dedicated to kicking-ass Barbarian style, whereas the Half-Orc is the Pure Optimal Barbarian. So you issue there is optimization.

Wrong. I don't play my Dwarf Barbarian as some brain-dead thug who loves to smash things. He came from an actual civilization, not a hunter-gatherer society. I work that into how I play him. The challenge comes from utilizing the "aspects" and "traits" of dwarf personality while also making the character unique and lifelike.

I don't want to play shirtless Gimli. I'm trying very hard to avoid it. But the nature of dwarves makes it a challenge. I want to feel like I'm playing a dwarf without being a caricature. I wanted advice on that.

As far as gameplay optimization is concerned, yes that is something that bothers me. I'm not a min-maxer by any stretch of the imagination, I just feel like I gimped myself with dwarf. Half-Orc just seems so superior that it makes me second-guess my choice.

I came asking for advice and help in good faith. You respond by just pointing out what I said and saying you have no sympathy and that nothing I do would alleviate the issue I'm facing because I'm unimaginative.
>>
>>52845941
no it only helps vs single target dex things

which are pretty fucking rare
>>
>>52845941
Remember that you only get the Shield AC bonus to Dex save if it targets ONLY you.

The power of Shieldmaster is that you can use a reaction to take 0 damage if you succeed on a save. Taking 0 damage from an ancient red dragons breath is pretty sweet
>>52846026
It's best use is against Disintegration
>>
>>52845975
Hm...
Analyse the Dwarven society, why are you so damn angry?
Do you rage against the rules? Do you care about honor? Etc.
Contrast the barbarian archetype you want with the society that made your dwarf, and think about how it happened/ a middle ground.
>>
>>52845975
>You respond by just pointing out what I said and saying you have no sympathy and that nothing I do would alleviate the issue I'm facing because I'm unimaginative.

And every response you have made reinforces my original comment. You're unhappy with the Dwarf Barbarian only because it's not super-optimized and you aren't imaginative enough to play one in a way that utilizes Dwarven advantages.

You have decided that every Dwarf is Gimli solely based on the idea that your exposure to them is LotR and you can't imagine being anything other than Gimli.

I stand by my assessment that you aren't very imaginative and probably not worth helping.
>>
>>52845975
Not him, but dude, you chose the bear totem and you chose dwarf, fully knowing that dwarves, although one of the better races, have lots of redundant abilities.

> I just feel like I gimped myself with dwarf.

Then imagine how people who play things like "elf wizard" "drow anything in a campaign that isn't primarily underground/nocturnal" "dragonborn anything" etc feel
>>
File: Pic-umbraforgemarket.png (426KB, 798x364px) Image search: [Google]
Pic-umbraforgemarket.png
426KB, 798x364px
hows this for a interesting campaign?

>the party begins at first level in a typical faerun fantasy world.
>party finds a strange hourglass that wont stop or slowdown regardless of any shaking or turning.
>its unbreakable, almost nobody will buy it from them, throwing it away only makes it reappear in their bags/persons later.
>a few days pass. the hourglass is almost done sprinkling it's sand.
>right when its done, the party is instantly transported to the shadowfell for 24 hours.
>hordes of skeletons,zombies,ghouls. no real water or food source aside what they brought with them.
>after the 24 hours, the party is transported back to the material plane, the hour glass is refilled.
>each time this process is repeated, their time in the shadow fell is extended slightly. first by 2 days, then by a week, then 2 weeks, a month, ect...
>the threats in the shadowfell are never ending. the party must find someway to undo this curse while preparing to endure the shadowfell.
>>
>>52839562
>can't call weapon A with B stats weapon C while keeping B stats.
That's not a sign of a bad game, that's a sign of a bad DM.
>>
>>52845975
>oh no, my armor and weapon proficiencies are redundant
Guess I'll just have to cry myself to sleep in this giant pile of +2/+2 STATS, DARKVISION, POISON RESISTANCE, MAKING BOMB-ASS HISTORY CHECKS, AND BEING BROS WITH EVERY DWARF WE MEET.
>>
>>52846088
>elf wizard

What's wrong with that?
>>
>>52846088
>Write backstory.
>Make Immortal Mystic.
>Half-elf for backstory.
>Doesn't fit at all.
>End up proficient in all INT checks

It worked out weird.
>>
>>52845576
It's a little too weak, but it is usable outside of combat. It's not like you're casting a spell on them. You're just there.
>>
>>52846121
Sounds interesting but seems REALLY railroady, especially before the hourglass first runs out.
>>
>>52846077
>I stand by my assessment that you aren't very imaginative and probably not worth helping.

Alright. Since that's how you feel, I see no reason for you to be involved in this discussion any further.

>>52846076
>Analyse the Dwarven society, why are you so damn angry?

His home was destroyed and plundered by duergar and his clan's artifact was stolen by them. With his dying breath, his father made him swear an oath to retrieve the artifact or die trying.

It's not elaborate by any means but it's what I came up with because I really wanted to test out a dwarf character in terms of RP.

>Do you rage against the rules? Do you care about honor Etc.

He's lawful. If he's able to subdue a criminal and turn them in to the proper authorities, he usually will. Sometimes RAGE can get in the way of that, though.

>Contrast the barbarian archetype you want with the society that made your dwarf, and think about how it happened/ a middle ground.

I was aiming for something similar to the Dwarf Slayer from WHFB, but I don't know if I'm succeeding on that. So far I think I've been falling into the common pitfalls of playing a dwarf. Being rambunctious, gruff, etc. I don't feel like my character IS a character so much as a bunch of traits jumbled into a bag.
>>
>>52846088

I actually originally was going to go Berserker but it turned out that I was the only tanky character so I opted for Bear Totem to give our casters (we have three pure casters in a party of seven) more room to breathe.
>>
>>52846187
Exactly, it's the "Chewbacca howls at a little droid and it runs off" ability, based on the dump stat for a Barbarian. It's a garbage ability mechanically, it's an unreliable garbage ability because it's based on Charisma.
>>
>>52846121
It sounds cool in concept, but might get tacky in practice. After all, you have the ordinary faerun stuff going on and then "Trapped in the Shadowfell" on the other hand. If the Shadowfell is interesting, then sure.
>>
Has anyone noticed that Dragonlance is now an option to the DM's Guild as far as options?

Does that mean that Dragonlance is going to be the next big release for 5e? Setting or adventure?
>>
>>52846165
Elves make shit tier wizards. Only thing high elves are good for are rogues with Booming/GFB.
>>
>>52846339
Eberron, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, and Planescape are also in there. Doesn't mean anything, really.

We do now that the next adventure in September is in Forgotten Realms and is about the Ring of Winter, called Codename Dust, with some writing from Pendletown Ward.

And the November product (probably some either setting or splat thing) is called Codename Midway.
>>
>>52846339
>Does that mean that Dragonlance is going to be the next big release for 5e? Setting or adventure?
No. They've just been throwing Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance in together for everything forever because they're all highly-established settings whose lore doesn't really need people to run off and buy source books for. For all the time spent in Eberron, Mystara, or Dark Sun, they're relative mysteries to the average D&D nerd (even older nerds) compared to the first three.

I've never played Dragonlance and I could explain it, whereas I have played Eberron and I don't remember a fucking thing beyond Houses being a thing and all the races being fucky-changed.
>>
>>52846258
I'd probably rather be charm/fear immune than add "other types" to a guy already phys/pois resistant.

They're very juicy targets for mind rape.
>>
>>52846389
>>52846393

Best I can tell, only FR and Ravenloft are options for creation. I'm aware they're selling everything and those are on there.

I mean the section where you can create content and sell it, i.e. the actual DM's Guild. Not the backlog of things.
>>
File: Capture.png (8KB, 283x291px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8KB, 283x291px
>>52846422
I just checked and it's not.
>>
File: DM's Guild.png (48KB, 217x512px) Image search: [Google]
DM's Guild.png
48KB, 217x512px
>>52846422

This is what I'm referring to specifically.
>>
>>52846389
>Ring of Winter
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I'M SO TIRED OF THE FROZEN NORTH AND SWORD COAST
THEY NEVER EVEN GO INTO THE COOL SHIT THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED THERE

Man, fuck you, Wizards. Unless you're gonna take us back in time to when the giant glacier covered the entire North and orcs started streaming out of an interdimensional portal and Netheril blew up, just piss off with the Sword Coast for a bit. Let's go somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.

It can even still be northern, frozen parts of Faerun, just not the fucking Sword Coast! Hey, remember Damara and Vaasa? You wrote whole books about them! They had their own mini-setting! Whatever happened to the giant regenerating space golem from 4E that a buncha Warlocks were making Green Lantern rings out of? Or if we've retconned all the primordials out, WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH CASTLE PERILOUS? THERE'S A SPACESHIP IN THE BASEMENT, ISN'T THERE? IT WAS BUILT AROUND ANCIENT ALIEN TECHNOLOGY THAT CRASHED THERE TENS OF MILLENNIA AGO, WASN'T IT? CAN WE GO ON THE ANCIENT LICH-SPACESHIP, PLEASE? You can reintroduce all that Barrier Peaks / Blackmoor stuff to a new generation without having to tell them what Mystara is, it'll be great.
>>
>>52846440

I have most of those options and then Dragonlance, though in a completely different format.

It's forth noting that the only thing that comes up for Dragonlance is a Bundle in some series that apparently has nothing to do with Dragonlance.
>>
What would be a good first level warlock power when the patron is a goddess of death who's goal is to collect and protect the souls of the dead? If it matters her brother is also a god of death who wants to kill everything to make an undead hive mind and most of his forces (as he broke a deal with her and is marching an army to kill everything) can only die if they take radient. I was thinking something along the lines of the undying light or raven queen.
>>
>>52846422
>>52846472
That's just the DM's Guild Bundle #2. The DMs Guild backend guys must have accidentally tagged it with that.
>>
File: file.png (47KB, 513x399px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
47KB, 513x399px
Man I just opened up the first Next playtest packet, I forgot how much the game changed before release.
>>
>>52845694
They're different aspects of the sun, notably with differemt portfolios and dogma.
Lathander, the Morninglord, is a NG deity, totally rad and popular with the cool kids. Renewal, self-perfection, vitality, spring/youth, on top of obviously good are what his portfolio includes. Once smote a dracolich and its master something hardcore in one blow.

Amaunator's the Sunmaster, an old, autistic geezer preoccupied with time, law, bureaucracy and planning, although admittedly he's mellowed down considerably these past 2 editions (not that the books really go into detail in 5e). His domain is that of the evening sun. Revealed to be Lathander's true identity all along after seemingly having been dead for some time. Now they're back to being two different beings, or something.
>>
>>52846482

Ah, makes sense. Well, it was worth hoping we'd get something vaguely different. And who knows, maybe we will. Eventually.
>>
File: 1451259772078.png (147KB, 584x321px) Image search: [Google]
1451259772078.png
147KB, 584x321px
Guys help

I need overly ridiculous Elven surnames

Bonus points if they're funny and long. Like the Boopopibebipsi's.
>>
>>52846553
how about Boopopibebipsi?
>>
File: kossuthlgw.jpg (60KB, 400x629px) Image search: [Google]
kossuthlgw.jpg
60KB, 400x629px
>>52846504
>>52845694
If you want to worship a sun god with a focus on renewal and self-perfection,
K O S S U T H

I'm actually being called back to the City of Brass right now so I can't explain why he's the raddest motherfucker ever, but you can go look his name up on the archives and see some of the previous rants.
>>
>>52846568
Oh my god, genius! Thanks /tg/, I can always count on you.
>>
>>52846501
I'm just glad fighters got upgraded so much from their shitty playtest versions.
>>
>>52846553
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long_place_names
I accept cashier's checks.
>>
File: idontwanttogethurtagain.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
idontwanttogethurtagain.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
>>52846594
>>
>>52846608
Oh, if you're curious as to what they were like: envision if we were back to "dudes who get feats: the class: the sequel" but instead of the feats we have now, they had 100 the word count and had a lot of fiddly bits and exceptions.
>>
>>52846282
It doesn't make them run off, and you don't have to howl. It also works if they can see you. And being based on Cha isn't awful. Str would be stronger, but it's not a killer. Barbarians have a lot of things that mitigate lower Dex, Wis, or Con, and you really don't need Int. More Con and Dex is useful, but you hardly need Wis at all as a berserker. If the ability were a little stronger (choosing any number of creatures you can see in range; or, activating as a bonus action.) that would probably be enough for it.

As it is, I'd love to bring a barbarian with me for a court trial, so he can try giving the opposing counsel disadvantage on all ability checks.
>>
Been thinking of few abilities for aberration boss for campaign. Ex. gaze attack, DC 19 wis or fall unconscious for 2d20 hours, when ends, 16 intelligence saving throw or feebleminded. If woken prematurely, roll is at disadvantage.

Also, disintegration breath.

I wonder if I am overdoing this.
>>
>>52846966
Why are you using WIS in the first place?
And a disintegration beam as a cone isn't as bad as the first one.
Also, levels?
>>
File: shadowfell.jpg (65KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
shadowfell.jpg
65KB, 800x400px
>>52846191
>>52846305
thanks for the input, what do you guys suggest to keep it from being to forced?

i was thinking maybe killing one challenging enemy would immediately send them back to the material plane, along with some additional loot.
>>
>>52847009
4x14. Both abilities have recharge on 5-6, and first one is sort of "brain violated by eldritch probing".
Although I could look into other abilities. The boss might get weakened by McGuffin, but it doesn't affect those abilities ( other than removing current charges )
>>
>>52847139
Strength of personality is usually CHA stuff though. And ditch the disadvantage on the early wake up, everything else looks right.
What else can it do?
>>
File: pls rspnd.jpg (49KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
pls rspnd.jpg
49KB, 331x331px
>>52845463
I don't even know who it is.
>>
>>52847200
Innate spellcasting ( constantly blurred, 1/d weird is noteworthy, as well as at-will misty step ), immune to nonmafoical weapons/attacks, trying to affect it with mind-altering spells or trying to read thoughts nets you 1d4 turns of stun, frightening presence, 3 legendary actions ( ex. recharge either breath/gaze, costs 3 )...
>>
>>52846121
The hourglass idea is great but it sounds like it could be applied in much more interesting ways than 'Bam, you're now fighting zombie apocalypse in the shadowfel' or something.

It would be more interesting if it did something more like counting down to a disasterous event and then letting the party go back in time to prevent the disasterous event, counting back down to that event again. I wanted to say 'or putting you into a time period where everywhere is overrun by shadowfel creatures in a horrific alternate reality' but it's somewhere between the two and I'm not too fond of that because it's basically the same thing refluffed. The idea is that it's an hourglass - it should do something related to time, and it'd be more interesting than doing a CoS-like railroad.
>>
>>52847138
Maybe make a Shadowfell BBEG invading the Material Plane?
Then if it is killed, it goes back to Shadowfell, just like how demons go back to the Hells when killed in the Material Plane.

At some point he comes back/your players discover he isn't dead and need to go to SF and kill BBEG?
It's slower, but at least sets up a reason to go instead of forcing them.
>>
>>52839564
Fine.
Flame is resisted by everyone and their mothers, lightning is not.
More HP in an important detail, as is the + AC.
Just forget the Cornugon, take an Osyluth and , swap the stinger for Hurl lightning, it'll be easier.
>>
File: 1445399728843.png (832KB, 1240x1118px) Image search: [Google]
1445399728843.png
832KB, 1240x1118px
So what exactly is the downside to using Plane Shift to just "instakill" enemies? Sure, I need the attuned rod, but once I have it I can cast plane shift as long as I have the spell slots and charisma saves tend to be hard for enemies to succeed.
>>
>>52846135
I dont know a dm that wouldnt let you refluff a weapon into another weapon. We have a weeb hexblade, a monk with a chaindart thats just a whip (we give rogues/monks whip prof and make them monk weapons) i have refluffed raiper as a cutlass for a campaign and my roomate runs a fighter who uses wrenches as mauls/throwing axes
>>
>>52847607
What can you us it on that will be worth it?
>>
>>52847607
legendary resistance and only having 2 7th slots at 20
>>
>>52847723
>>52847764

You forget warlocks don't "learn" spells past 5th level. It's mystic arcanum, so you can cast it once a long rest without using a spellslot. So...use it on anything in the place of a large nuke? It's basically a save-or-die.

Unless you're needing to shift between planes every day in your adventures, you can just take this spell and use it offensively.
>>
>>52847780
ok then legendary resistances and only having one cast
>>
>>52847780
It's a "Hit, then save (which a creature can pass(or have legendary resistance)) and a chance to come back"
Also, I don't know how can I have forgotten that which you never told.
>>
File: evil act.gif (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
evil act.gif
3MB, 740x416px
>>52846608
>>
>>52847648
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the terminology but is refluffing a "rose by any other name" thing?
Because I wouldn't allow "It's a rapier but can I call it a cutlass?" myself. They don't work the same.
Now a d8 slashing weapon with the finesse property called a cutlass, that I'm cool with.
>>
>>52846501
Is there something I'm missing here or do Barbs deal 6d6+34 damage on each attack at level 20 there? I have to assume it was balanced way differently.
>>
How do I fix Battlerager? I was thinking of letting the player add STR damage and Rage damage on his free grapple damage because I can tell he's regretting his choice.

All he wanted was a Barbarian that could Grapple better then others.
>>
>>52847607
The main problem (aside from what everyone else has already said) is that you'd get away with it exactly once before the DM started employing countermeasures. Plus it's not a permanent solution since enemies might have/be casters or might just find a portal. That second reason is why I never bothered to try it myself.

That said, I once ruined an entire encounter by fully banishing a Pit Fiend. That was pretty great.
>>
>>52847924
But can I call that cutlass a saber?
>>
>>52848074
I guess? I'd say saber would probably fit better within the "scimitar" weapon but if you really want your d8 finesse weapon to be a saber, why should I kill your fun?
>>
Are there actual canon Dwarven Wizards? I was thinking of either a Mountain Dwarf War Mage or a Duegar Shadow Sorcerer.
>>
>>52847924
Physical damage types don't matter almost at all. There are some fringe cases, but really it should be DM logic when these things show up.

Both a war pick and a rapier do piercing damage, yet they'd have completely different effects on different things - you'd expect a war pick to be much better on rock than a rapier.

Really, I don't know why there's physical damage types other than to try convincing martials they have some choice of damage which is basically 'Have a bludgeoning weapon in case skeletons but skeletons are weak anyway'.
>>
>>52848266
If you ask my fighter, he'll tell you damage types are there so his Armor of Vulnerability can fuck him over whenever someone throws a rock at him.
>>
Are the Armour Training feats ever worth it?
>>
>>52848368
Medium armor/shields is pretty good for a warlock or non-valor bard.
>>
>>52847976
>on each attack
That barbarian would only have one attack.
>>
>>52847648
Another weapon, of course. One that works similarly. A maul could also be a sledgehammer could also be that Japanese club full of studs could also be a stop sign with a chunk of concrete on the end. The stats would be the same for any of those. Refluffing ends when you're trying to change the mechanics- like refluffing a hand axe as a scythe on the end of a chain that also has a lead weight on the other end, or even as a hand axe- but also on a chain. At that point you really have to look at what the player is trying to do with their fluff and discern if they're trying to get something extra out of their fluff.
>>
>>52848266
The differences between piercing, bludgeonung, and slashing definitely do not do enough differently mechanically at this point to justify having them included in this edition. Hopefully future books, either something that gives players options or else something that gives DM options with monsters will expand on this to really give these damage types meaning.
As it is, I can think of skeletons that are vulnerable to bashing, and a couple oozes that split when hit with slashing damage. Disappointing.
>>
>>52848021
Get a level of Rogue for expertise in athletics.
>>
What actually happen to Barovia's morninglord?
>>
> beast conclave ranger refluff wolf as dire corgi
>>
>>52848843
If I recall correctly, he was a golden elf devotee of Lathander who came to Barovia either before or after becoming a vampire himself. He lived a long life and influenced the people of the valley (long before Strahd came, in fact) before dying.
>>
>>52848886
That actually sounds fun. Is it worth it to go full meme and play a Halfling riding a Corgi though?
>>
>>52848888
which deity is suppose to be mother night then?
>>
>>52839472
nice
>>
>>52848962
Mother Night could be a creation of 5e or 4e, it could be referring to the Raven Queen or Shar.
>>
File: meepo.png (834KB, 592x800px) Image search: [Google]
meepo.png
834KB, 592x800px
Best NPC in D&D history coming through.
>>
File: Edwin_BG1.jpg (15KB, 200x309px) Image search: [Google]
Edwin_BG1.jpg
15KB, 200x309px
>>52849042
Sorry, I couldn't quite catch that.
>>
>>52849062
Anon, we're talking about best NPC, not best necklace.
>>
>>52849080
I did appreciate that he was literally better then you could ever hope to be with that thing. Felt like a nice change of pace having an NPC follower you is not only stronger then you in that same class, but knows he's stronger then you.

Honestly I barely played NWN. I really should but I hate the 3e rules.
>>
File: Daelan_Red_Tiger.jpg (7KB, 128x200px) Image search: [Google]
Daelan_Red_Tiger.jpg
7KB, 128x200px
>>52849042
Call me vanilla but
>>
>>52849042
Every party I ever ran though sunless citadel always kept meepo on as a hireling/henchman. I always wound up giving him levels in sorcerer and then dragon disciple.
>>
>>52849166
No one deserves to suffer through dragon disciple.
>>
Is heavy armour master worth it?
>>
File: 1467952777377.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467952777377.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
How do I turn my ex-warlock PC in the campaign I am now DM for into an interesting and powerful, yet balanced villain? We're playing through lost mine of Phandelver currently, and our ex DM is now a player who has played through this before, so I kinda want to spice it up for him.

Our party was level 1 when I took over, 2 PCs died and had to be brought back to life, but my warlock and another fighter PC (who hasn't been able to meet up recently) survived.

So there's a lot of wiggle room to write him back into the story, as he was of questionable character to begin with.

Pic sort of related, I was roleplaying griffith for the most part.
>>
>>52849042
They gave him a pump-action shotgun in Dragon #359.

>>52848154
There was one from the Great Rift in the 3E FRCS.
>>
Should I get PAM or GWM on my level 1 Barbarian? Is it worth it to pick up both eventually even thought the Bonus Action attacks conflict?
>>
Fresh bread

>>52849499
>>52849499
>>52849499
>>
>>52849332
Just don't
Thread posts: 401
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.