[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What adventures can you run in setting where 90% of land is a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: nomad camp.jpg (57KB, 642x517px) Image search: [Google]
nomad camp.jpg
57KB, 642x517px
What adventures can you run in setting where 90% of land is a giant steppe and people live in nomadic tribes?
>>
Some Genghis analogue trying to unify the tribes?
Some unknown monster attacking the herds/poisoning the land?
Someone else disturbed the tombs and now the players must find a way to appease the ancestors' spirits?
>>
>>52834385
The superior non-Steppe people are invading and turning your shitcan raider tribes into civilized people.
>>
>>52834385
Journey into the desert to capture mongolian death worm
>>
>>52834385

The Quest for a Sea
>>
>>52834385
Solving long standing and bloody Clan feuds.
Communing/bargaining with gods and spirits for the protection of your tribe.
Be a tribe that finds an area that can be permanently settled and have an adventure about trying to settle down, where others are likely to come and raid you.
All of the steppes could be ruled over by Dragons or Giants that demand painfully high tribute in livestock and houses, now the clans are divided between serving the monstrous overlords so things don't get worse or uniting in rebellion.
>>
File: mongolian_eagle_hunters.jpg (116KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mongolian_eagle_hunters.jpg
116KB, 800x533px
>>
File: 741120.jpg (3MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
741120.jpg
3MB, 3072x2048px
>>
>>52842924
Holy crap, that's pretty.
>>
>>52834385
Searching for lost religious relics
Maybe have the steppe be a former civilization and most of the quests are about putting together the pieces. Like massive calamity happened long time ago, players arrive in steppe, hear a rumor about lost treasure, they get embroiled in clan politics and long ancient historical mysteries. Eventually players discover the steppe nomads are decedents of the lost civilization. Eventually players discover they can stop the calamity from happening and can have the civilization rebuilt overnight. Players must juggle the various ethical implications of forcing people to live a life they never asked for.
There are loads of stuff for a steppe campaign. I would recommend having it suck ass if the players don't have horses, and make it a pain to get horses. That would be a good start, a few sessions to get enough horses and draft animals to properly campaign the steppe.
Shit, I'm thinking about writing my own steppe campaign now.
>>
File: camp.jpg (211KB, 1272x1000px) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
211KB, 1272x1000px
>>
File: 1424294372908.gif (2MB, 193x145px) Image search: [Google]
1424294372908.gif
2MB, 193x145px
>>52834385
>The backwards steppe peoples living just north of a gigantic and expansionist empire are left alone because the steppes are full of giant monsters that want to eat your face
>Are you bad enough dudes to not become hors d'oeuvres?
>>
>>52842924
I remember my super rich swiss uncle telling me the story of when he went with some russian millionaires to mongolia as part of some program to restore the przewalski horse population. He did some crazy shit there and also met some old guys from nazi-era germany who appearantly were stationed there but decided to stay behind and start families because they loved the freedom of the steppe so much. Not even shitposting
>>
File: kublaikhan.jpg (14KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
kublaikhan.jpg
14KB, 236x300px
>>52835341
Doesn't it usually happen the other way around?
>>
>>52834385
Timur, an ancient warlord that wanted to restore Genghis Khan's empire, ended up founding his own empire in the Eurasian steppes and had a lot of historical significance, but its the exhumation of his tomb that's interesting.

In 1941, a Russian anthropologist by the name of Mikhail M. Gerasimov exhumed Timur's body from his tomb, and found an inscription on the interior of his tomb which read "Whomsoever opens my tomb shall unleash an invader more terrible than I."

Three days later, Adolf Hitler unleashes the largest military invasion in history, Operation Barbarossa, invading the USSR.

Timur would be re-buried with full Islamic ritual in November 1942 just before the Soviet victory at the Battle of Stalingrad.

You could use that as a pretty good plot hook: an ancient warlord of the steppes has been exhumed by graverobbers looking for treasures and artifacts, just before the BBEG begins his campaign of conquest across the lands. The BBEG doesn't know it, but his invasions success or failure all hangs on that exhumation.
>>
>>52852077
The Apache and Comanches were RL NE/CE societies.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.