[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 34

File: jetgp0BFy4[1].jpg (116KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
jetgp0BFy4[1].jpg
116KB, 850x500px
Didn't see one and figured might as well since the new expansion might spice things up.

Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck?
>>
R/B zombies will likely go unchanged. The deck is already tight as-is and casting creatures at sorcery speed is for chumps. Shadow of the grave might be alright for free haunted dead activations should I have to discard something I don't want to, but it seems inconsistent.
>>
>>52831593
I don't think anything is strong enough to bring any meaningful changes to standard. Sure one or two things will make it through, such as Manglehorn, but for the most part we can expect to see the exact same decks being played as we saw previously.
>>
Weathered Wayfarer is spice
>>
>>52831593
I'm upgrading my GR Energy, but i don't know if i go full Pummeler/Fling or just plain Aggro with Rhonas the Indomitable, Samut, Voice of Dissent, Khenra Charioteer and Bloodrage Brawler.
>>
black/White weenies: black trial, white cartouche, couple gideons.
>>
File: 1471880406331.png (538KB, 560x419px) Image search: [Google]
1471880406331.png
538KB, 560x419px
>>52832469
desu the only meaningful change that could come is a rotation

while amonkhet is a fairly good set everything in it is going to be overshadowed with the way the current meta is. ally of zendikar rotating out will do a lot in that regard, if nothing else.
>>
File: Smashysmashrobot.jpg (154KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Smashysmashrobot.jpg
154KB, 768x432px
>>52831593
>Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck?
I'm going to find room for fling in pic related.
>>
File: Image-52.png (136KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-52.png
136KB, 223x311px
Haven't cared about standard since the khans block, but I'm thinking of building gr pummeler just to play fling.
>>
>>52831593
>Shit turn 5 format
>>
>>52836093

Isn't this completely hilarious with Mercurial Geists?
>>
>>52836294
Love it
>>
So nothing rotates out when amonkhet drops right?
>>
like everyone else, I'm gonna be sleeving up a Drake Haven brew with Prized Amalgam and scrapheap scrounger

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-04-17-hotline-bling/
>>
I'll probably maintain my Grixis Control deck, there are a few decent additions coming out for it.

Kinda sad the abundant artifact hate coming out is going to screw over Temur Tower builds, however. That was one of the few competitive builds I had fun with.
>>
>>52834657
Can someone help me find a good 1drop for this deck? The other drops are great and all, but for an Aggro deck, it sure lacks 1-drops.
>>
>>52836697
Fucking loved this guy in pre-release, especially when facing BW zombie spam
>>
>>52831593
When are they going to stop pretending that people actually play this garbage?
>>
>>52838335
You mean standard or MtG in general?

Because they're both selling very well so probably not any time soon.
>>
Is standard still a 3 deck format? I haven't paid attention to the format in a month, and barely paid attention before then
>>
File: 1245.gif (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1245.gif
27KB, 320x240px
Are there any good youtube channels for learning MTG?

I went 2/2/2 last night in sealed and I'm pretty sure its because I don't know when to attack or when to block and with what but I can't seem to find a tutorial anywhere
>>
>>52831593
>play the infamous U/R emerge
>still wait for the U/R cycling land
It's a sad world
>>
>>52836294
>Isn't this completely hilarious with Mercurial Geists?
Not if Geists is the one you sacrifice to cast it. Sacrifice is part of the cost to cast Fling, and therefore it will die before its trigger is put onto the stack. (and its trigger will never be put onto the stack because it will be dead as the spell is cast)
>>
Do you think Standard needs another set of bannings? Do you think there will be one on Monday?
>>
>>52841997
>does standard need bannings
yes
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Felidar Guardian or Saheeli

this would blow the format open and maybe make it playable
if they don't ban at least cat they really fucked up and banning Gideon is a smart move

>do you think they will ban anything
no
they are incompetent and don't want to "shake player faith in their card value" even though 1 of the cards that should be on the chopping block is going to rotate at Ixalan and won't retain value anyway and the other is a bulk uncommon attached to a planswalker that shouldn't be worth more than $5 anyway

they could also unban Reflector mage and it wouldn't hurt the format
>>
>>52841019
Download the free Magic Duels game. It's not quite the same (it skips some of the rules technicalities that are important to know and there are added deck building restrictions) but it lets you practice the basics.
>>
>>52837050
Kessig Prowler is underrated.
>>
File: wombo combo.png (744KB, 1058x370px) Image search: [Google]
wombo combo.png
744KB, 1058x370px
If you were going to fill your deck with as many cycling cards as possible in an attempt to rebuild a mediocre Astral Slide, what would be your preferred cycling cards to include and colors

Initially I was gonna stick pure U/B but white has Cast Out which is an instant speed O Ring for Gideon as well as the instant that exiles enchantments/artifacts and the one that gains you 2 life when you cycle it

Esper maybe? If you throw in the new cycling duals as well as a couple of the BFZ lands it shouldn't be too hard to make even the SOI lands ETB untapped if you want to use them
>>
>>52836697
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drakecycle/

I want to play something like this with Haven. It does things but I can't get it right. Aggro is a pain in the ass too
>>
>>52842837
I totally forgot about him. Thanks!
>>
>>52841997
Standard will be functionally unplayable if there are no bannings. I don't know if they're actually going to ban anything - it is going to really deeply suck for them to do it - but I think they have no other choice. There's about a 1% chance that Standard is good without at least one banning. There is just no good format there. Even waiting for the PT would be a huge mistake, because the PT is going to suck if there's no bannings.

can anyone out there think of a deck that could - even potentially - have game against both Mardu Vehicles and Copy Cat? That's not just a worse version of Mardu Vehicles or Copy Cat? It really does not seem like there is any such deck.
>>
File: sarkhan travels to tarkir.jpg (443KB, 450x2200px) Image search: [Google]
sarkhan travels to tarkir.jpg
443KB, 450x2200px
>>52845190
>>52841997
There's a number of Amonkhet cards that can answer cat combo reasonably well and even a few that can prey on vehicles and Gideon

The problem is we've had like, what, 6 months now of people non stop bitching about standard and how we need a ban and that's the only way to save standard. Articles on websites about how awful standard is and that a ban is needed.

I think a ban is going to happen just to renew faith in the format.
>>
>>52836630
Correct

Rotation happens in September when Aztec world drops. BFZ and SOI blocks rotate out.
>>
>>52845406
just having hate cards isn't enough, though. that's a bad argument. they have to go into decks that can win. what deck plays which Amonkhet hate card to have game against Cats?
>>
>>52840225
Nope, 2 deck format now

Things will change on the 24th when new B&R update comes
>>
>>52845544
You're right, I was thinking mainly sideboard tech

But even if, let's pretend, new decks did emerge I think they'd still be better off with a ban now to get people actively coming back to standard.

My store has 15+ person modern FNMs every week and maybe 1 person will show up for standard, it's crazy
>>
>>52845517
Dope, pummeler with fling here I come.
Anyone have suggestions on what to cut?
>>
>>52845190
Nope.

And now that throne of the god pharaoh is a card, not even new Thalia or authority of the consuls (or dampening pulse forom the 2 tower players left in the world) stops copycat anymore.

One of them has to be banned or standard dies, and OP dies with it. Gideon also needs a ban desperately but won't be because muh gatewatch movie promo
>>
>>52846980
I'm cutting the four uncaged fury for 3 flings and a khenra charioteer and a larger than life for another khenra charioteer.
>>
>>52845406
this is factually wrong

there are a grand total of 0 decks that exist which can do the things you have proposed

no deck in standard and no combination of cards in standard currently can
1. Stop cat combo reliably to the point that it nullifies it in 90% of games against the deck
2. can play against the fair side of cat combo deck with a favorable matchup
3. can play against mardu vehicles in game 1 with a favorable matchup
4. can play against mardu midrange planeswalker showdown in game 2 with a favorable matchup

basically any deck you can think of is going to lose to 3 out of these 4
sure you can come up with some group of 60 cards that will shit on one of these 99% of the time but they will get eaten alive by the other 3 with a 99% loss rate making the deck unplayable

bans are manadatory at this point and without 2 or 3 of them minimum the format is going to be unplayable trash

1. Gideon
2. Cat or Saheeli
3. Heart of Kiran

1 and 2 for sure need to go and 3 is a HIGH want on my list to kick the bucket
vehicles in general were a mistake and no one fucking likes artifacts
the only people that are gonna whine about bannings are those that invested money thinking that buying the cards wasn't a sunk cost and that they could somehow get their money back at the end of the format
aka kiddies and poor people
though shit start viewing cards as a sunk cost and never expect to make money back on them, you will enjoy the game more
>>
File: bindingmummy.jpg (29KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
bindingmummy.jpg
29KB, 265x370px
>>52831593
Going to probably change B/U zombies into B/W.

I want to build a deck post kaladesh that isn't vehicles or energy though, any suggestions?
>>
>>52848816
yupppp

to put it another way - cat is a dominant choice against any strategy except aggro-value, and Mardu Vehicles is clearly the best, most powerful aggro-value deck. for another deck to exist, it either has to (a) be a better aggro-value deck than Mardu Vehicles or (b) have game against Cat doing something other than aggro-value. don't think there's any such deck.
>>
I'm pretty new to Magic. I went to my first pre-release event today and had a good time. I want to put together a Standard deck for the first time- the limited deck I ended up playing was G/B so I wanted to do something with that. I basically have no idea how to deckbuild, though. Not planning on being super serious and competitive with it- what do I do?
>>
>>52849641
You have two ways around it.
One is, wait for the Pro Tour and look at the decks the pros came up with. Choose one that you think looks fun and adjust it to your budget.
Second, wait until tomorrow when the banlist gets updated, open a deck editor, filter by the kind of cards you want and pick the ones you like.
I'd recommend going with the first one, you will learn more about making decks by looking at actually good decks. In the meantime, just play with your pile and ask your locals for good cards in those colors.
>>
>>52849771
I can wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
>>
On one side I think Amonkhet brought some very interesting cards to brew around. On the other side every brew seems to be sliding towards midrange. On an already remarkably midrangey format. FUCK MIDRANGE.
>>
>>52842895

Probably Esper, yeah
>>
File: cats.png (481KB, 1100x640px) Image search: [Google]
cats.png
481KB, 1100x640px
Can anyone help me build this cat tribal deck (G/W)

Anyone got any suggestions for good removal/card draw/value creatures that stick?

sorry for the shitty pic. This is what I've put in it
>>
>>52849401

Looting deck (with cards like Shadowstorm Vizier)

B/R or G/R hellbent

Zombies (so many ways to build)

Always Exerting (I suggest W/G for Benefaction of Rhonas).
>>
>Cancer cat still not banned
>>
>>52851283
I have a question anons.

Which do you prefer get banned:
Saheeli, or the cat?

I think I prefer Saheeli.
>>
>>52831593

I need to wait for the Banned and Restricted announcement first before I even get to brewing/tuning decks.

I don't think there will be any changes again but who knows.
>>
File: index.jpg (103KB, 530x370px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
103KB, 530x370px
Gentlemen, how do we make cycling work
>>
>>52851325
As much as I hate planeswalkers in general, saheeli is a balanced card on the face of things.

Normally the combo would be fine too, but since wizards hates instant speed interaction in standard, here we are.
>>
>>52851349
I'd go with looting effects instead of straight up cycling. One anon brought up Forgotten Creation.

Also: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/3-combo-brews-with-amonkhet/
>>
>>52851325
I'd prefer Saheeli, there's nothing wrong with the cat.

But if you think Wizards is going to ban a facewalker when there are other options available, you're sorely mistaken. They've done everything they can to not ban Gideon, and hell will freeze over before they ban 2 planeswalkers at once.
>>
>>52851325
>Banning Saheeli

Implying Wizards would even give political reactionists the opportunity to draw that as a "Muslim ban" parallel when they are going through their PR purging for the progressive crowd.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170422-230314.png (285KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170422-230314.png
285KB, 1080x1920px
How does this list look to y'all?
>>
>>52852784

Not running hotline fling with enigma Drake and carthartic reunion + tormenting voice
>>
I'm building UB robots and either WU or mono U control. The W would just be for fumigate.
>>
>>52831593
So is aether hub just worth running in a dual color deck with no energy?

You just tap it for colorless most of the game and when you finally need that color you can pay that one energy then. It seems viable as long as you aren't running many cards that take multiple defined colors like grasp of darkness.
>>
>>52851349
Use guys who get bigger when cycling or discarding

Use New Perspectives + cards which net mana when you cycle (Shefet Monitor, Tumbling Sands)

Use Fling
>>
>>52836697
if you take the arc crown it kinda looks like aku´s head.
>>
>Still trying to make Grixis Control work
>U/R Emerge would be so much easier

Temur Tower is going to be dead with all the new artifact hate, isn't it? I'm just trying to hold out for Bolas.
>>
PRERELEASE IS STARTING IN A FEW MINUTES
WHAT DO I BUILD
>>
New Liliana is currently $15 on TCG. Think she'll go up or down? Was thinking about possibly getting two.
>>
>>52857602
ZOMBIES
RED EXERT
SMASH THEIR FACE
>>
File: 20170422_233253.jpg (138KB, 964x1288px) Image search: [Google]
20170422_233253.jpg
138KB, 964x1288px
Those are some awfully nice minions you have there...

It would be a shame... if I were to....cycle and discard some cards wouldn't it?
>>
>went 2-2 in my prerelease
>pulled 2 glorybringers, hazoret invocation, and a Gideon on prize packs
>Brian David-Marshall was also playing in my LGS

Overall not a bad weekend
>>
If I have an upkeep thing that makes the opponent lose life and me gain for every minion he plays is it shared responsibility for keeping track or mine alone?

Some guy wasn't ticking down his life on minion summons, and I forgot to give myself life. He got mad when I said oh shit, wouldn't I have gotten life there?

Super salty and told me I should've told him or he wouldn't have made an attack.
>>
Is Tezz playable at all in the new block? I've still got two kicking around that I wanted to use. Then I saw that stupid fucking green artifact killer.
>>
>>52857917
Your responsibility to keep track of your own triggers.but if he doesn't deduct his life total after you call a trigger on time then you should call a judge on him.

Probably not at a prerelease though since it's supposed to be super casual but even then you will encounter your ultra-douches once in a while
>>
>>52858094
Ah okay, I apologized. From what I understand judges can fix a mistake once usually? Then after that it's all on you depending on what kind of mistake. Especially if it's something that should've hurt him?

I'll try to pay better attention in the future.
>>
>>52858094
>>52858157
For reference it was trespassers curse. I had to keep reminding players to deduct. It gets kind of tedious... the enchantment is mine, but it's placed on them?
>>
File: SuperMegaRoboRocketPunch.png (425KB, 666x312px) Image search: [Google]
SuperMegaRoboRocketPunch.png
425KB, 666x312px
Would this work as how I'm hoping it would?
>>
>>52858204
Well if fling gets countered, you will look like a fool.
>>
>>52858204
Explain what you are hoping to achieve.
>>
>>52858204
Does it keep the +2 after dying and coming back same turn?
>>
>>52836093
It kinda sucks there's a 3 mana plat angel right now.
>>
>>52858288
nope, it's same card but different permanent then
>>
>>52858261

>Summon a Gearhulk (Either on their turn or your own )
>Buff it with Supernatural Stamina
>Fling it
>Supernatural Stamina makes it come back
>Recyle the Fling you just used

It's janky as fuck but the thought of a giant, water shooting robot suddenly hulking out and throwing itself all over makes me smile.

>>52858221

When any combo sequence gets snuffed that happens so it's no big deal.
>>
>>52857917
was this as pre-release or was this at a competitive event

if its pre-release it isn't really anyone's job to keep track and you should feel free to step back even a whole turn to try and resolve things
the point of pre-release is to get people acclimated with the new cards and mechanics so mistakes are encouraged and it is also encouraged to fix them so that you don't make them again in an actual competitive setting

if it was in a competitive setting it depends if the triggers are optional or not
if they are non-optional triggers that have to occur or you enter a broken game state then it is technically both players responsibility to remember them or you can both get warnings or worse if it happens more than once
if they are optional triggers then its all on you to remember them
>>
File: card.png (120KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
card.png
120KB, 223x311px
>>52858387
50/50 responsibility? It was a prerelease

Both of us are breaking the game forgetting it.
>>
>>52858427
yeah thats a state based non-optional trigger

at pre-release no one should give a shit
the whole point of the pre-release events is to get new players into the game, introduce all players to new mechanics and cards, and to have fun. Depending on your LGS though they can place waaaaaaay to much emphasis on winning depending on the rewards. Normally you are supposed to be awarded a pack or two per win and then have SOME kind of additional reward for anyone who us undefeated at the end with then additional prizes given out to anyone that went 0-4 and more prizes at random but many LGS forget this last part and all that happens is you get 1 pack per win and the whole pot is awarded to those who went undefeated which puts a ton of stress on the event and focuses the attention on winning more than teaching and learning

at a competitive event you would have both recieved a warning for ignoring a state based trigger and the judge would have issued some kind of penalty for you both or reset the game state to the point that it should have been depending on how many turns had passed.
there isn't really a %fault aspect to magic, instead judges just try to "fix" the game as best they can when someone makes a mistake that cant be undone

fault is really only issued when someone is cheating
>>
>>52858387
>if it was in a competitive setting it depends if the triggers are optional or not
By "optional," do you mean whether or not the ability contains "may"? The IPG does not care about the use of "may" in triggered abilities.

>if they are non-optional triggers that have to occur [...] then it is technically both players responsibility to remember them
That is incorrect. Opponents are not required to point out triggered abilities that they do not control.
>>
>>52858629
Even if it's on them? A curse seems like something that would make them sick. I don't have to remind someone their aids makes them cough up anal blood every 20 seconds.
>>
>>52858661
All that matters is who controls the triggered ability. If you control Trespasser's Curse, then you control its triggered ability.
>>
>>52858629
its a state based effect that affects both players, especially in this case since it is life totals

not having the correct life total as either player can be seen as misrepresenting game state and could result in a DQ for either or both players
there would be warnings issued to both players for missing this trigger depending on how many turns had passed. If it was 1 turn they would issue a warning and then allow continued play but if it was in the same turn they would just reset the game state, put the triggers on the stack, and then issue a warning to both players
>>
>>52858747
>its a state based effect
The phrase "state-based effect" does not appear in the Comp Rules or the IPG. Can you explain what you mean by it?

>not having the correct life total as either player can be seen as misrepresenting game state
This situation isn't about maintaining the game state. It's simply a missed trigger scenario.

>there would be warnings issued to both players for missing this trigger
The only time a warning is given out for a missed trigger is if the ability is considered detrimental for the controller. As a reminder, I am talking about a competitive setting.
>>
>>52858191
You control the enchantment so its your responsibility to announce the trigger.
>>
>>52858374
no, you can't
sacrifice a creature is part of the cost
>>
>>52858374
It will come back before Fling resolves, so you won't be able to target Fling again unless you have another Fling in your GY already
>>
>>52831593
I'm thinking about a sort of R/W eldrazi and taxes
this is the list:
4x harsh mentor
4x glory-bound initiate
4x thought-knot seer
4x heart of kiran
4x eldrazi displacer
3x thalia, heretic cathar
3x vizier of deferment
4x gideon of the trials
3x harnessed lightning
3x cast out
4x aether hub
4x inspiring vantage
4x needle spires
4x crumbling vestige
2x sea gate wreckage
4x plains
2x mountain
sb:
3x magma spray
2x glorybringer
1x authority of the consuls
1x archangel avacyn
2x selfless spirit
2x glorious end
1x gideon, ally of zendikar
1x chandra, torch of defiance
1x by force
1x watchers of the dead
>>
I'm playing Soul-Scarab Mage
>>
>>52858944
The black spell isnt regenerate its a delayed reanimator. The fling combo works.
>>
>>52859238
>not knowing how a spell resolve
never change, /tg/
>>
>>52859238
When Torrential Gearhulk comes back, what is its triggered ability going to target? The Fling that was used to sacrifice the gearhulk is still on the stack.
>>
Where is it illegal to just print (monochrome so it's obvious i'm not trying to scam anyone) cards and put them in matte sleeves? I'm not giving more money to these jews.
>>
Yo there has to be some combo deck with Flameblade Adept and noose constrictor rught?
>>
>>52859354
Enjoy not playing in any REL tournaments

>>52859316
>expecting /tg/ to know what the stack is
>>
>>52859354
>I'm not giving more money to these jews.

You can't play in any real event with proxies, so there is basically no point to using them.
>>
>>52859411
>>52859442
Fine with that, there are no events here. I just want to trash the local neckbeards and make them feel stupid for paying for their cards.
>>
>>52859514
If you want to play with proxies in a casual setting or for testing then thats fine. Just don;t expect to enter any sort of tournament with your printouts.
>>
>>52859557
>proxy
Thanks. Didn't know this word.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (27KB, 839x200px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
27KB, 839x200px
You stay, I go.
>>
>>52857941
Tez Master of Metal is pretty good.
>>
>>52859922
you forgot sanctum of ugin
>>
>>52859180
Man im running a bw list very similar. Really like the combo with vizier and wasteland strangler
>>
File: greenmtgdudes.png (437KB, 532x376px) Image search: [Google]
greenmtgdudes.png
437KB, 532x376px
Do these greenie dudes have any potential to be in a deck?
>>
>>52860094
Croc curves nicely with Rhonas, Vizier not so much.
>>
>>52859922
Woops, thanks senpai
>>
>>52860080
wondered about the black splash too. in the end the version I've posted, because of Heart of Kiran and Glory-Bound Initiate, is more something like Tempo&Taxes.
the mechanic of B/W eldrazi 'nd taxes looks a little bit overcomplicated for the standard as it is nowadays
>>
>>52860236
Yeah you might be right. Think it comes down to bannings tomorrow, but im gonna give it a go at fnm. Here is a pic of the list. Mardu hatebear could be the way to go
>>
>>52860284
I like Harsh Mentor because is a bane for the walking ballista players. for what concern some aspect of the deck I'e posted, I've try to make a deck that rely on the combat phase trying to take advantage of some synergies, gideon (his first ability is incredibly good, and can also shut down the harsh mentor ability) and heart of kiran, displacer and vizier for pull the Initiate from the exert.

why for your list you don't use harsh scrutiny o or the new discard spell?
>>
>>52860463
I really like harsh mentor against walking ballista. If mardu vehicles still stays on top, I think you have gone down a good path.
I dont use harsh scrut or lay bare because they dont exile. Need the exile to fuel wasteland strangler. It takes out prized alagram and other graveyard shenanigens that might be there week 1-2 of this standard. Also not sure which is better between lay bare or transgress the mind yet. Time will tell.
I really wanna fit in some reality smashers, but I cant really see what i should take out
>>
>>52860656
I see Archangel Avacyn more as SB option. Reality Smashers is still an insane card.
>>
>>52859347
It's going to target supernatural stamina in the yard. fling does it's 7 damage. then you cast another fling, sacking gearhulk, trigger reanimate, comes back, trigger, cast fling from the yard, sacking gearhulk. you play gearhulk one turn, then cast supernatural stamina, and 2 flings one turn later. 21 damage. But as the other anon said, janky as fuck
>>
>>52861312
Wouldn't that be 19 damage from Fling? Gearhulk has 5 power. Stamina makes it 7. First Fling deals 7. Gearhulk comes back and targets Stamina, making its power 7. Second Fling deals 7. Gearhulk comes back and targets first Fling. Gearhulk has 5 power here, so the Flings deal a total of 19.
>>
>>52860094
Here's a summary of my deck at the prerelease:

>Naga Vitalist/Channeler Initiate T2
>Croc of the Crossing T3, swing for 5
>Cartouche of Strength T4, fight their best blocker/zombie tapper guy, swing for 6
>Game ends shortly after

For some reason I was able to get that exact curve about 5 times. The 6/5 croc is just too big for a lot of the cheap removal to handle
>>
>>52852784

You need some Larger than Life to get a better buff for the pummeler. the blossoming defenses won't be enough.
>>
Any gods that I should buy before they skyrocket in price?
Any good brews on budget decks? I've never really played Standard or modern outside of messing around with my pals and I had so much fun bearing fans at people this weekend.
>>
>>52861312
Yeah, my bad. Good catch on that. But it does work
>>
>>52858204

You could use the stamina at sorcery speed, tap to attack, if you get the damage in, you get 7 damage, then you use fling for another 7 damage, but as the other anon said, he's come back before you can flash the first fling again. You need a second Fling already in the graveyard to potentially go for lethal. You could use a key to the city to discard a fling, make the Gearhulk unblockable and make the combo deal (almost) lethal in one combo.

It would go:

Tap Key to the city for 2 and a card > use it to discard a fling > Use Stamina on Gearhulk > Damage for 7 > Use Fling > Gearhulk comes back into play before the damage triggers > Use Gearhulk to flashback the second Fling > Sack Gearhulk again.

It will deal 19 damage overall.
>>
>Want to play
>Really hate planeswalker card type, to the point of irrationality
>BOTH top decks have overpowered planeswalkers that make them even stronger than they need to be
Planeswalkers were a mistake and this is coming from a new player, Wizards supposed target audience.
>>
>>52848816
>No one deck has perfect matchups against every other good deck in the format.
Got ourselves a regular Einstein over here.
>>
>>52858894
As I've heard it used, State Based Effect generally means an effect or ability that can 'trigger' in between the resolution of a spell. Emperor Crocodile is my go-to example. I don't know what >>52858747 meant by it though.
>>
>>52861671
lol
>>
>>52861837
I think you're talking about state triggers. These are abilities that trigger when a certain game state is true.
>>
How are the full-arts nearly $2 each? I just traded four for a Harsh Mentor.
>>
>>52861966
1/4 chance of pulling a full-art land
No full-arts in the fat pack either
>>
>>52862004

Uh, it's called a BUNDLE now.
>>
File: 1477822116847.jpg (117KB, 448x299px) Image search: [Google]
1477822116847.jpg
117KB, 448x299px
>>52861724
Planeswalkers are fine when they aren't encroaching in the game's power level.

The problem is that standard doesn't have Hero's Downfall anymore.
>>
>>52849973
>Cat is control combo or value combo
>Mardu vehicles is value super aggro
>Midrangey format
JUDGE!
>>
File: bountyoftheluxa.jpg (49KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
bountyoftheluxa.jpg
49KB, 265x370px
>>52861472
crocodile and bounty of the luxa made me win a prerelease. Got 3 in my prerelease pack.

Got a lot of boosters, some credit from my LGS. a new playmat and the best thing is i got 2 gideons (1 foil and 1 normal), many posible staples and most of the common and uncommons.
>>
>>52862537
forgot to say, I got no fucking full art lands from my prize and my prerelease pack.
>>
>>52849401
red white humans
>>
File: Image.jpg (80KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
80KB, 500x356px
>>52831593
So the more I try to build a strong B/W zombie deck the more I start thinking Mono black is just stronger right now. B/W can't seem to decide if it wants to be midrange or aggro
>>
>>52862835
Have you tried U/B?
>>
>>52862964
That's what I have right now and really all of your big cards seem to be black anyways. I mean the really only decent blue zombies are prized (can run anyways in mono black), and the stitchwings. Of course dropping blue means you have less control and more kill but really killing vehicles and cats seems better than just tapping/bouncing them
>>
>>52861749
no its more like
>no one deck can even maintain a 50/50 with the two best decks in the format

hell most decks can't even maintain a 70/30 with the two best decks
this is why the format is seeing no play
this is why there are needs for bannings
WotC fucked up bad and they need to fix it now or this upcoming format is going to be more of the same
>>
>Are you building a new deck, upgrading an existing deck or just playing your old deck?

Haven't been in standard since Tarkir, but I went to the prerelease Friday night and yesterday and pulled a decent amount of UW goodies. I wanna build either UW or Esper embalm since it feels like it'll have the best balance between value creatures, answers, and draw but I don't know what cards from Innistrad and Kaladesh I'd need.
>>
>>52863323
UW Embalm looks pretty sweet, and most of the tools for what you need are in Amonkhet, like Vizier of Many Faces, or Aven Wind Guide. Since you're in white, you might as well play Gideon Ally of Zendikar. And while you're at it, put in Heart of Kiran for value.

White removal is pretty iffy at the moment, so I'd probably splash red and black for Fatal Push (from Aether Revolt), as well as Shock. And since you're in red and black you can play Unlicensed Disintegration now, though if you put those in, I'd recommend Walking Ballista.

Mana is a little greedy to be playable though, so I think you should cut Blue.

Have fun with your embalm deck, anon!
>>
Plainswalkers are getting more stupid with every block the new Nissa is so underated for how cheap she is
>>
>>52861966
They were all preordering at 50 cents a week ago
>>52862004
bundle was supposed to still have 25% of them
>>
>>52864148
In the packs yes but the land pack isn't full-art like the BFZ FAT PACK was
>>
>>52857820
Drafted 2 of these yesterday. If he doesn't get removed on the spot and you have a cycle in hand you basically win in limited.
>>
File: amonkhet bundle full art.jpg (28KB, 561x258px) Image search: [Google]
amonkhet bundle full art.jpg
28KB, 561x258px
>>52864445
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157568655928/hi-mark-will-the-basic-80-land-pack-in-amonkhet
>>
>>52864554
Ahh, i stand corrected then

Still doesn't mean that the lands won't be valuable yet, they will just need time.
>>
>>52864554
so should I dump my full art lands now why they are $2?
>>
Why is no one talking about how you can cast the Memory half of Commit//Memory off of Torrential Gearhulk?
>>
>>52865217
Don't think that you can, each half is its own spell with its own casting speed.
Also the recent split card ruling change would probably prevent that as well.
>>
>>52865338
It's confirmed to work that way. Commit//Memory is an instant and sorcery card. You target Commit//Memory as an instant card, then choose which half to cast
>>
>>52864701
Prices will only go down once Amonkhet is released.
>>
Should I dump Gideon and my 2 Rhonas now or wait for the pro tour?
>>
>>52865723
Commit//Memory is 1.98 a playset with free shipping on Ebay

get a playset
>>
>>52864701
>>52865684
And then they'll go back up again. Don't bother selling them, in two years people will want them more than 90% of the cards in the set.
>>
>>52865394

Citation/Source/Link?
>>
>>52865723
Rhonas could go either way depending on PT results. Gideon's a bit harder to predict since Ally of Zendikar is still legal and heavily played, though if he drops it probably won't be by too much since he's still a slow Platinum Angel and/or indestructable 4/4 for 3. If we see AoZ banned, Gids'll definitely rise to the occasion.

>>52865827
Then just get rid of what you have now while they're still high, buy back when they drop to BFZ-tier, and then sit on those.
>>
>>52865876
https://twitter.com/TabakRules/status/848969254737260546
>>
>>52866049

Point taken.
>>
>>52866061
Playing a 5/6 end of your opponent's turn and getting to untap with a full 7 sounds extremely powerful, even with your opponent doing the same. Having transgress in your deck and taking the best card of their new 7 and holding up counter magic sounds very good
>>
So what are the chances of Tribal Minotaurs being at least average in standard. I'm trying them out in modern and they're fun there, but I've got so many more options in modern. I just want a good tribal deck. Allies, vamps and Zombies fucking failed me
>>
>>52866114
play humans :^)

but in all honestly Zombies probably got a lot better. I don't know what makes you think minotaurs would be the best tribe for standard. They don't even have enough cards to fill up a maindeck
>>
>>52866132
Humans is gonna be my main deck, Exert's gonna be so fucking good with Always Watching, but they can get kinda boring after a while.

I dunno man, you're probably right that bulls don't have enough support. I'll just wait until next set. I'll give Zombies a try again
>>
>>52866114
Taurs probably won't see any tribal play in Standard until HOD. For now, Neheb and the like are basically delegated to EDH.
>>
>>52866224
they were cards they decided not to put in Theros block because they hate tribal players
>>
Of the decks I've been messing around with for the new block probably my most overall successful one has been UR Tempo. The basic idea of the deck is that with Enigma Drake, Bedlam Reveler, and Cryptic Serpent you have a creature base that plays very well with each other. Throw in a bunch of tempo instants, and the deck is done. I've player around with a third color splash, but I really like the consistency of the 2 color build. The cycling cards are very nice in it because you can pitch them early to get your creatures out bigger and faster. The deck is under $100 paper, so if you're looking for a cheap deck that can do real work I think this one has potential. If you can think of a better name than UR Tempo please let me know because the name just doesn't work for me. So far I have Spell Grand Mastery and Not-Threshold.

Instant (22)
4x Censor
4x Essence Scatter
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Hieroglyphic Illumination
2x Negate
4x Shock
Land (23)
4x Aether Hub
5x Island
6x Mountain
4x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole
Sorcery (3)
3x Sweltering Suns
Creature (12)
4x Bedlam Reveler
4x Cryptic Serpent
4x Enigma Drake
>>
>>52866297
I'd probably play Anticipate somewhere
>>
Would better answers really have fixed Standard without bans?

It seems almost universally agreed on that answers being bad has let overpowered threats run rampant and made weaker decks competing impossible, leading to instantly solved formats, but would we really still not have needed bans?

With Copter (invulnerable to sorceries), Emrakul (invulnerable to instants), Gideon (impossible to answer profitably without countering), and Copycat (requiring instant speed interaction to prevent an instant loss) all running around the format, would having better answers really change things that much?

It seems like we'd need Modern-tier answers for these things to still not just overpower the format. I dunno if it's bad answers as much as it is WotC make so many extremely powerful threats with narrow, different weaknesses all at once.
>>
>>52866491
say what you want about Ravnica/Theros standard, at least all the decks represented were varied in playstyle and all stood on basically equal ground. And it's because threats and answers were both extremely powerful. Elspeth and Hero's Downfall were some good magic cards
>>
>>52865827
>>52865969

I may just trade them out for all full art swamps since I know I'll always use that color.

Gonna horde my foil full arts like crazy though.
>>
Will the banishing light angel see any play, or should I trade mine away.
>>
>>52866719
that card is for sure very powerful

keeping it is PROBABLY a good bet, but it's really all up in the air until the meta is fixed. But yes, that card is very good
>>
>>52866297
Temur splash is great. T1 Attune is nice. Gets another spell in the yard, powers our Hub and thins the deck. Dissenters Deliverance is nice anti-mardu tech that's cycleable in bad matchups and I like Blossoming Defence as a way to protect our threats from removal.

Also don't miss out on Winds of Rebuke. Set them back a turn while getting a T3 6/5? Don't mind if I do.
>>
>>52868196
If you do go Temur make sure to swap Suns for Radiant Flames. It's basically the same but it's easier to cast.
>>
What are the best MTG youtube channels?
>>
>>52868405
I like MTGgoldfish
>>
>>52868405
Tolarian Community College, now that he's excised 99% of the bullshit from his channel, you just have to suffer through some occasional guest appearances by SJWs. It's not really all that intrusive though
>>
>>52832469
When they designed the set they expected Standard to rotate twice as fast, which likely led them make the cards too weak to have a meaningful impact in a much larger card pool.

However, it's also highly unlikely that no cards get banned today.
>>
>>52868641
I feel like when Hasbro told them to make Standard rotate faster, the boys in R&D had a field day, and just blew their man hours eating pizza and blowing each other, figuring that they didn't have to try anymore if their failures were constantly rotating away.
>>
>>52831593
Current decks are UBr Metalwork Colossus deck and a modules deck that turned into a Winding Constrictor deck.
Have not played paper since last game day. Waiting for the ban update before I decide if I am making anything new but don't know when I'd actually play it.
>>
File: ook ook banana.jpg (151KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ook ook banana.jpg
151KB, 500x500px
Get ready for six more months of this shell of what Gideon used to be, you fucks
>>
>>52868641
I have a feeling that there won't be any bannings today.

Quite a bit of artifact hate was printed in this set that can probably keep Mardu in check.
>>
>>52869169
The cat and Gideon are the two cards people speculate are getting banned. Not any artifacts.
>>
>>52869221
Heart of Kiran. And the Felidar Guardian is also technically an artifact when it interacts with Saheeli
>>
>Cat combo is too hard to deal with unless you are fast since it wins out of nowhere
>Mardu is too fast to deal with unless you open yourself up to a combo deck
>Can't build any other deck because of these two decks

Just ban both decks and problem solved?
>>
>>52869284
No, banning cat-lady will be enough. If new decks only have to care about mardu's speed and not the combo's explosiveness, then you free up a lot of deck design space.

Also the combo will warp standard for one and a half year, meanwhile guideon will kick the bucket in 6 months.
>>
>>52869284
Shock Saheeli in response to her -2 is the easiest way to do it. If you're in Black Lost Legacy asap for whichever piece they're missing.
Mardu is strong as shit so on that one side in literally every artifact hate card you own
>>
>>52869416
Here's hoping Wizards doesn't listen to people like you.

Ban it all, burn it to slag.
>>
>>52869439
So, you are feed up with every decision wizard has made lately and want to see them getting shitted on because of them?

If it is that, I agree with you.
>>
>>52869589
Also that, but I consider the decks that are around their decisions as much as their indecision about bans.

Chase mythics aren't card design, they're marketing.
>>
>>52869169
I'm 100% expecting Smuggler's Copter to be un-banned.

I'm also certain that they are not smart enough to ban BFZ Gideon and / or Guardian, though.
>>
My only hope for a Saheeli/Guardian ban is to see what decks are able to look like and do without having to have maindeck answers to an infinite combo.

But it's going to be - "No changes to any format"
>>
>>52869840
Imo unban Twin. If we can have Twin in standard we can have it in modern
>>
>>52868405
Rudy is fun if nothing else
Tolarian is good now that no MTA
Desolator if you want a good laugh

Shit tier
Wedge
Mtghq (though I watch openings because I'm a sucker for it)
Rogue deck builder

RIP Deriums
>>
>>52869861
>modern
Yeah okay. Next you'll tell me they'll act like your format exists. Say hi to extended for me.
>>
>>52869865
Rudy is a retard.
>>
>>52869893
Yeah. But his videos are fun. He only takes it seriously to a point. He makes fun of himself a lot. I think people are confusing it with ego. He knows he's doing stupid rambling videos to an internet audience. Good for him for actually enjoying it.
>>
Hey so I'm pretty new (started a couple months ago) and now my friend wants to start playing too. You guys think it would be better to get a duel deck to play against each other and learn with, or the new planeswalker decks?
>>
>>52869904
I'm still trying to figure out his recent video about the reserve list getting banned, because to me, it looked like him waving around his collection because there was discussion about whether Iconic Masters would have the reserve list or not. It wasn't a classy act at all.

>>52869952
Duel deck if you have to. Planeswalker decks are specifically meant to prey on your inexperience, don't support them as a product. If you want to try and break into standard, I'd just say each of you should buy like, a sealed event's worth of packs and play the decks you make of those cards against each other.
>>
>>52869893
He's a finance guy. He doesn't care about the game itself he's all about whether or not a set is profitable.
>>
>>52869974
I should clarify a few things on this one.
>video about the reserve list getting banned
Sarcastically saying that the reserve list would be banned in this hypothetical scenario of the video.

>If you want to try and break into standard
This should really be 'if you want to get cards of your own that happen to be standard legal'.
>>
File: 70qjbcs.png (441KB, 919x869px) Image search: [Google]
70qjbcs.png
441KB, 919x869px
cute gods when
>>
File: current_standard_in_a_nutshell.png (274KB, 407x588px) Image search: [Google]
current_standard_in_a_nutshell.png
274KB, 407x588px
>>52868313
?
They're about as hard to cast either way; one requires 1RR and the other requires URG. Suns is better because it has cycling, making it maindeck-able, and it will always deal 3 damage.

>>52869803
Feel free to make some spider tokens at any time, 'cause I'm pretty sure you're delirious.

What does /tg/ think of Deem Worthy and Cut // Ribbons? The former seems like a decent sideboard card, while the latter could make the maindeck of a RB aggro deck to give it reach.
>>
>>52869974

Rudy made 2 videos. One that was expressly a joke, with a discalimer right before the video saying it was a joke.

In the second one, he basically said that, even if MTG went nuts and decided to prnt one of the reserved list cards in Inconic masters, most people that own Alpha/Beta versions of said cards wouldn't sell their cards for whatever new price the new reprint would set.

His argument is that the collectors that own those cards wouldn't think it would be worth their time to even sell the cards if the cards dropped too much. If Iconic Masters reprints an old reserved list card, the only copies of said card that would get any market movement would be the newest version, which would make the OVERALL price of said card drop for a few months, but the price would eventually go back.
>>
>>52870189
Copter has like 10+ new answers to it in AKH (not to mention the AER answers like Fatal Push that never got a chance to correct the meta) and it would enable Madness / Heckbent decks. It would just be a "good" card instead of 4x insta-lock like it was before.
>>
>>52870247
Yeah, enough time has passed that the originals would still hold their value. A/B/U P9 aren't expensive because of their play value - they are collector pieces.

Printing a Black Lotus with modern frame and new art wouldn't affect the price of the old ones at all.
>>
>>52870324
No, it would still be a 4 of in several decks because the ability is too good to not have. There was plenty of removal for Copter when it was in standard. It was just too good.
>>
>>52870344
In the short term they would drop but they would slingshot. They do see play just not a lot of it. For maybe a month prices would drop but then go right back up because the Alphas aren't selling.
>>
>>52870392
>There was plenty of removal for Copter when it was in standard

I'm not sure what cards you think were in standard at the time...
>>
>>52870344
>>52870430

Exactly. Also he pointed out how a set with a guaranteed 1000 dollar card would mess with the price of the retail box, how tough would be for WotC to make a way to deliver the cards to the players without messing up the LGSs, etc.
>>
>>52870432
Harnessed Lightning, Unlicensed Disintegration, Skywhaler's Shot, Appetite for the Unnatural, Fragmentize, Natural State, Immolating Glare, Plummet, Puncturing Light, Murder, and Root Out all hit copter for 3 mana or less and were all in standard at the time.

They were not all playable- Harnessed Lightning,
Unlicensed disintegration, Fragmentize, Appetite for the Unnatural, and Murder were probably the best of these.
>>
>>52870432
Harnessed lightning, grasp
>>
>>52870079
Go back to tumblr
>>
YGBSM
>>
>gather more data

you fucks are killing standard. With a knife in the back. Just ban the fucking cat already.
>>
>>52870889
At least they promised to ban if Sahelli wins the PT.
>>
>>52870910
They didn't promise shit.
>>
>>52870940
We're watching the interaction between Felidar and Saheeli ... with an eye towards Amonkhet on the Pro Tour.

That's what that means. It's basically, cash out your Saheeli now. If she wins PT she's getting banned.
>>
>>52870992
"We're vaguely pointing in Saheeli's direction. until after PT Amonkhet, where we won't ban it out anyway. Enjoy several more months of cat bullshit!"

They should've just banned it now.
>>
>>52871055
I hope cat lady crushes the event. I want 6 saheeli decks and 2 mardu decks in the top 8 with no visible sign of amonkhet making any impact in the format whatsover. It would make my whole week.
>>
>>52870992
No, anon is entirely correct that they didn't promise shit. You're reading your own wishful thinking into intentionally vague language. Given that this is WotC we're talking about there's no good reason that you would think they have promised us anything as intentionally vague language is the only way they ever talk to us.
>>
>>52831593

Ok,I'm kind of bored so I decided to fill in the "Magic: The Gathering -- Player Motivation Survey" in the main site and dear god, some of these topics are worrisome.

>How important it is for you to feel like you are a powerful planeswalker while playing the game?

>How important it is for you to play card with an "wow" factor?

>How Important is for the game to allow me to pretend I am someone else / somewhere else?

Dear god, do people RP during MTG matches? Are WotC aware that the bulk of their playerbase is alreayd old enough to understand big boy words?

This is kind of frightening, actually.
>>
>>52871441
Thing is, anon, they want kids to play Magic and buy cards and make them into loyal customers. I can understand why they'd ask for stuff that would appeal to them.
>>
>>52871487
Why would kids answer these kind of surveys?
>>
>>52871487

No, I get that, but how many children actually take the time to look for this survey and fill it in to completion?

"wow" factor just sounds like a PR/marketing BS term to me.
>>
>>52871441
Oh no people enjoy things on a different level than you!
>>
Whats the possibility of a good Jund Aggro deck rearing its head? I see a lot of synergy going on:
Flameblade Adept
Winding Constrictor
Collective Brutality
Shadow of the Grave
etc.
>>
>>52871441
>How important it is for you to feel like you are a powerful planeswalker while playing the game?
>How important it is for you to play card with an "wow" factor?
Basically "Are you a timmy?".

>How Important is for the game to allow me to pretend I am someone else / somewhere else?
I like to pretend I'm playing a card game so I can distract myself from the miseries of real life.
>>
When is the ban announcement?

Like, how many hours left?
>>
>>52871969
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24
>>
File: 1478675879622.png (265KB, 614x558px) Image search: [Google]
1478675879622.png
265KB, 614x558px
>>52871969
>>
>>52871969

It was already announced.

NO CHANGES for standard until at least post- Amonkhet Pro Tour.
>>
Please let people play 12 Gids and have it get coverage so WOTC can see how absolutely fucking retarded it is.
>>
>>52871969
>>
>>52872001
>>52872003
>>52871999
>>52872003
>>52872068

>Tfw i rushed out and bought my R/G Energy deck because I was afraid they would ban Cat and the cards would shoot up in price

Onore Wizards.
>>
>>52835606
The white cartouche is cool. But I don't think it is even close to powerful enough to drive a weenies deck.

What else would go in there? There are a lot of B/W token producers from Shadows, but I don't know if they are good enough to compete with the shit in standard now.
>>
>>52872118
>not having proxies
>being worried about standard bannings
>>
>>52872144
I can't play with proxies anon (On FNM).

My fear was that the cards would rise in price. Without cat and vehicles RG Energy becomes a top tier deck (And the only time I managed to have a top-tier deck was when I was already playing UW Heroic for fun before it started posting results and decided to upgrade for the Hero of Iroas one week before the deck exploded)
>>
>>52871441
I don't 'rp' during matches. But i'm not the only one who thinks Amonkhet is cool simply because it's ancient egypt. I like cards with that aesthetic and I also like cards that represent my favourite characters. I hope to god that Bolas is good because I desperately want to play him in my deck. Just because he's Bolas.

At the same time i'm pretty spikey. I really want to win so these two parts of my personality clash quite a lot when i'm deck building.
>>
>>52848816
Maybe if you stopped net decking like a cuck you might able to actually brew something with the new cards. But I guess that would require actual skill, so you are kind of stuck there.
>>
>>52872214
Nigga I played in a feature match with my chinaman proxies. Shits on twitch and noone said anything
>>
>>52872257
You can't realistically fake Standard shit. They have the holo.
>>
>>52872219

I get that, you like the set and theme.

The question was literally "Do you play Magic to feel like a powerful planeswalker?"

There was another one to ask if you like the game's characters and flavor.
>>
>>52872049
>12 Gideons
>not 16 Nissas
>>
>>52872305
There's 16 of these bitches in standard?
>>
>>52872383
4 Nissa PW cards in standard at the moment. 1 from BfZ, 2 from Kaladesh counting the starter deck one, and 1 more from Amonkhet.
>>
>>52872432
Oh yeah. I forgot the walker decks were things since those are unplayable
>>
>>52869865
you forgot

>God tier
>I hate card games
>>
>>52872451
Tezzeret, Master of Metal, is actually alright though.
>>
how can one company be so incompetent?

the whole community
like 99% of all players are calling for some kind of change
attendance is the worst it has been in 10 years
they better pray that some kind if miracle occurs and that the meta changes but that is so unlikely that we are going to have to wait another few months with this shit still going
another pro tour of nothing but 1 or 2 decks and my guess is after that they still won't feel pressured to ban anything

why were they so fucking trigger happy 2 formats ago that they decided they needed to "save the format" when we had decent deck diversity and the metagame was still evolving and now when the format is even worse than it was back then we get no action?

the image of scientists baffled by wotc ability to fuck up every time is so accurate it hurts
>>
>>52872566
Yeah - if Standard was a bit slower he may have actually seen some play. He is the best intro pack walker by miles.

I would have actually bought one or two of them for Commander / Casual except I cannot stand foils and they don't have any non-foil versions (same issue I have with the Commander products every year, they are all foils).
>>
>>52872597
What I find interesting is that the Legacy / Vintage changes are really well researched and they have multiple reasons for making said changes - and for Standard its "we will see what happens, we need more data" ad infinitum.
>>
>>52872566
I run it in my Silas/Reyhan EDH deck. The +1 is nice and the -3 is sometimes "Target player loses" since I make a shitton of Thopters
>>
>>52872636
In their defense a new set is literally out within a week. They want go see how that's gonna affect the format first. Especially since this js the first set of a new block. Usually these are the big shake up sets.
>>
>>52872757
>In their defense a new set is literally out within a week.

But they didn't print heroes downfall so it just doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>52872791
Hero's Downfall story spotlight card in Hour of Devastation. Screenshot this.
>>
>>52871856
Archfiend
Sweltering Suns
Collective Brutality
Nahiri's Wrath
Shadow of the Grave
K Command
>>
>>52872597
>they better pray that some kind if miracle occurs

They can't, they banned miracles.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-04-24-11-41-12.png (81KB, 1423x377px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-04-24-11-41-12.png
81KB, 1423x377px
>>52872857
I got you
>>
>>52872857
It won't. They have two different 3CMC destroy target creature/planeswalker sorceries right now.
>>
>>52872757
Ahmonket stuff has been tested by the pros - it doesn't stack up to current options.

The top decks are just too oppressive at the moment. There is a complete lack of meaningful answers for both of them.
>>
>>52872597
Honestly I wanted the ban and this will be the most boring Pro Tour ever thanks to the lack of bans, but waiting and seeing what the Pro Players do in the PT is a smart move and will prbably pay off better in the end. At least they will be able to truly see what the problems are even with Amonkhet and make a more informed ban.

They should have announced a ban for the day after the PT ends though, instead of "A few weeks after"
>>
>>52873046
Source? I want to see some pros commenting on the new cards
>>
>>52872118
The deck is cheap enough that if all the important cards doubled in price it would still be reasonably priced.
>>
>>52873299
It would still fall out of my budget.

I'm a poor guy in a third-world country, anon.
>>
>>52873405
Fair enough. Anyway it's a solid deck that's fun to play so I don't think you should regret your purchase.
>>
>>52852784
>>52861548

I find I prefer Highspire Infusion over larger than life for pummeler buff.
>>
>>52874468
The trample is important though, no?

I've been thinking about using maybe one or two Rhonas in the deck, since you can pump shit with his ability and give Trample to the pummeler.
>>
Hero's Downfall reprint in Devastation?
>>
is mtgo dead? i haven't played since i was a kid (like 2004) but i logged into my old account and the lobby is like dead. not that i have any idea how to build a good enough deck with the cards i have.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/is-deck-is-not-red/

I don't normally play/brew standard, but I wanted to try my hand at a midnight oil/zombie/embalm deck. I'd greatly appreciate some constructive criticism, or calling me a homosexual.
>>
>>52874789
It looks okay you faggot.
>>
>zero problems in Standard according to Wizards

Are they retarded or what?
They started this problem in the first place
>>
I guess I'm going to a limited GP instead. Good fucking job wizards, you mongs
>>
>>52876005
They didn't say that. They recognized the problem but want to see if Amonkhet will help/fix it before trying to fix with bans, and also want to gain an informed opinion on how the format with Amonkhet is before issuing bans.

I was really hoping to see Cat gone but I think they actually did it right this time. Just gather a bit more data and ban stuff next month.

I'm just sad because this PT will be worse than Hitler.
>>
>>52876207
Would have been nice if they gave the announcement at the beginning of spoiler season.
>>
>>52857669
I sold mine after the pre release event for 12 bucks and a scar-soul mage (which will drop). I think she'll go up if a zombie / graveyard recursion deck emerges. Or it'll drop like Arlinn Cord
>>
>>52876274
Yeah, it would make more sense. Why wait until the very end of the spoiler season before banning something?
>>
>>52876668
So that people sell their cards and have to buy them back later, or bother to open Amonkhet at all.
>>
File: 49.jpg (29KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
29KB, 265x370px
I've been trying this on xmage

https://deckstats.net/deck-12945929-5a0e2b07750efbcb72b9d202129dd106.html

Not at all competitive, but really fun when it goes off. Might build it on paper for FNM
>>
>>52876053
Yup. I'm just gonna draft on MTGO. This standard format sucks.
>>
>>52876207
But it won't be. All of the artifact hate is pretty shit except what green has so if some strong green/whatever deck doesn't pop up it won't mean jack shit.

I just don't get how you say "oops we made an infinite loop on accident" and just leave it in your game. How can you as a game designer be satisfied with that decision.
>>
>>52877095
Anon, both Wizards and /tg/ has always been pretty shitty at predicting how pro players would alter the format.

Waiting for the PT is a sensible choice IF by then no one manages to crack open this format, then the ban will come, they've said as much.

I will not trust Wizards to try to predict the Meta after saying the horrible XXXXB spell would play back at Tarkir, and I will not trust /tg/ after everyone here shat on Wingmate Roc.
>>
>>52877191

/tg/ is generally pretty terrible at magic as a whole so most of the time don't take the opinions here seriously.
>>
>>52877191
That being said, Wizards IS trying to micromanage the format so that their pet cards see play, I think that's pretty clear by this point.
>>
>>52876207
>4 weeks after PT AHK
>we think the metagame is still evolving and while <insert 4c CC or Mardu here> took up 32 of the top 32 spots at the PT we believe that the emergence of <insert new shitty deck that is doing nothing here> offers some hope that the format will change. In light of this we are not going to be banning any cards in standard and instead are going to gather more data. We have our EYE on you Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Heart of Kiran, and Felidar Guardian ;P

then the exact same announcement we got today with Hour of Devistation and repeat until rotation then we get "See everything is fine now that the broken cards have rotated, we still need more data on copycat though, PLEASE DON'T LOSE FAITH IN THE VALUE OF YOUR CARDS INVESTORS AND WHALES...PLEASE!!!! WE PROMISE TO NEVER BAN ANYTHING AGAIN"

they obviously don't care about the health of the format
they have had around 10-16GPs of this nonsence that is more data than they could ever hope to achieve and the informed decision has already been made for them by the whole community, many of whom are far better at the game than anyone at wotc. This was crap, they should have banned the cards before AER but they didn't and now they are just being pussies and not bannign them now

vehicles and planeswalkers were a mistake when you don't print strong enough hate cards against them
>>
>>52877191
They didn't say that though, they say they're "watching" the interaction. At no point does it say they will ban anything if it does too well.

Nothing is guaranteed and nothing will get hit because 1 random aggro deck and 1 new amonkhet deck will make it in so they will claim the meta is "fixed" now.
>>
>>52877191
this would be reasonable if they had announced that they are willing and thinking about an emergency ban and had named, explicitely, the offending cards that would be on the chopping block if they over preform at the PT giving people a heads up that they understand what the problem cards are and that they ARE 100% going to ban them the day after the PT if things go wrong

but the whole
hey you know some of these cards, we have our eye on you kiddos hehe, we need a bit more data and are gonna wait another 7 weeks. have fun not attending FNM shmucks because the format blows XD"

isn't really acceptable at this point
the community wanted action and some serious action
they can't just play the passive bitches this time around and not suffer the consequences
attendance will drop to near 0 for multiple regions and sales will be an all time low
>>
>>52877482
Attendance is already 0 at my LGS. Past month we haven't had a standard tourney because maybe 3-4 people show up.

Thing is atleast 18 people showed up for pre release so magic is definitely not dead in my area but standard sure as fuck is.
>>
>>52877627
0 attendance LGS reporting in here as well.
>>
>>52877482
Agreed, they could have made this announcement clearer, but for me, reading between the lines, it's pretty clear they are looking to ban at the very least the cat if he dominates the PT.
>>
>>52876207

>Just gather a bit more data and ban stuff next month.

How much more fucking data do they need when it's literally a two or three deck format right now?
>>
>>52877839
Three? It's a very solid two, what are you on about?
>>
>>52877839
They need to see if the hate that they printed in Amonkhet is enough to allow them to stay unbanned.
>>
>>52877839
The Pro Tour defines the format.

If it's a 2-deck format by the PT then they'll have to concede. But there is always a chance someone will break open the format under the environment of the PT.

(Unless it was already 2-deck in the last PT, I just came back to Magic so I don't know)
>>
>>52877918
>The lowest powered set since Tarkir
>having hate for the highest powered set since Tarkir
u fucking wot
>>
>>52877896
Temur Tower?
>>
File: 441942156612.jpg (4KB, 103x125px) Image search: [Google]
441942156612.jpg
4KB, 103x125px
>>52877971
>>
>>52877930
It has hate you mong. I didn't say it brings up better decks, but it does fuck with catlady/vehicles.
>>
>>52877918
The hate they printed only makes 4c Cat Combo even stronger.
>>
File: Angry Dynavolt.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Dynavolt.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>52878034
Shut up! I won a Grand Prix!
>>
>>52877930
I played Tarkir, what was the problem with it? It was full of powerful shit (Well, Khans was).
>>
>>52878270
I mean, Tarkir had a few issues here and there, but I was only using it as a yardstick.

>>52878095
It really, genuinely doesn't.
>>
Post your Amonkhet updated Copycat lists.
>>
>>52874646
I think highspire infusion is better off if you go all in on the fling idea, whereas larger than life is better if the fling idea isn't as important
>>
>>52878270
Siege Rhino
Fetchlands leading to obnoxious 4 color goodstuff decks.
>>
>>52878426
Oh yeah, forgot about fling, sorry.

>>52878432
Yeah, and that made it a good, powerful format.

And honestly there was room for other decks, I was king of my LGS with my shitty UW Heroic with Fabled Hero.

(Though I did drop when Zendikar came out so maybe that's when it went to shit)
>>
>>52878270

I think he's saying that the the answers in Tarkir kept a large amount of the threats in check despite the set having quality level threats in dudes. So no matter what issues were prevalent in Tarkir, there were ways around it and alternative means of answering problems.
>>
>>52878142
Against Vehicles, sure. Vehicles gets shit to potentially fuck with Cat Combo too.

>>52878326
>It really, genuinely doesn't.
WotC is horrible at card analysis and they know it. If it takes them a month of watching the community play before deciding the hate wasn't good enough to ban something, they'll wait a month.

Consistently having a two-deck meta is a symptom of the real problem. Standard is too small of a format for more than 2-3 decks to crop up out of the pushed mythics.
Also, we're still dealing with the format changes. Gideon AoZ wasn't meant to be in standard with Amonkhet block, so I could see him getting a ban along with Felidar.
>>
>>52878581
>Vehicles gets shit to potentially fuck with Cat Combo too

What did they get? I haven't seen anything that makes Mardu Vehicles better than Cat in this set.
>>
>>52878709
Gideon of the Trials combos with Gideon Ally, I suppose.
>>
>>52871128
Don't be silly. OF course there will be Amonkhet cards!
They printed those cycling duals, after all.
>>
>>52879025
Glorybringer going to be the bane of Gideon.
>>
>>52879636
>my 5 mana creature trades with your 2 mana creature and pings your Gideon down to 1 loyalty, i win >:^)

Yeah naa
>>
>>52881110
Oh sorry he can't even ping Gideon
My 5 mana creature trades for your toolcraft exemplar/knight token and your 4/4 flying vigilance can only be interacted with at instant speed not a creature when I don't want it to be very balanced and fair card
Gideon can stay though and continue to be a 5/5 indestructible faggot proof no damage self protecting insufferable cunt
>>
>>52881233
I swear by blessed alliance to deal with Gideon. It's really all we've got at this point.
>>
>>52877971
>>52878034
>>52878177

It makes me sad seeing that Temur Tower is going to get obliterated by Amonkhet. It was one of the high tier decks that I appreciated its design.

...And that I ordered cards for a few weeks ago before shit like By Force got spoiled. Oh well.

>>52877627
>>52877665

Only the biggest LGS in my greater area runs Standard. Every other store gave up months ago. Luckily the one place that still does has some really healthy attendance.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.