[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teach me how to rp well?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1492779658884.jpg (56KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1492779658884.jpg
56KB, 720x540px
Teach me how to rp well?
>>
>>52826210

Practice.
>>
File: 1492167251906.jpg (42KB, 750x778px) Image search: [Google]
1492167251906.jpg
42KB, 750x778px
Okay, how do i practice?
>>
>>52826673
In the mirror
>>
>>52826210
Its basically acting, either get good at that or just play yourself in different situations.
>>
>>52826673
Instead of thinking of the best actions to get the most rewards, give your character a few personality traits and act based on those. Continue to do so and your characters will flesh out naturally.
>>
>>52826673
By roleplaying. Everyone is terrible at RP when they first try, getting a group is 100000x harder than actually roleplaying.
>>
>>52826673
Imagine that you are someone else, than talk into a mirror.
>>
When I was just getting started with LARPing I found the easiest thing to do was to create a character that was just an exaggeration of some of your present personality traits... at the time I was a fuckin weird-ass hyper teenager so I played a fuckin weird-ass hyper crazy malkavian (it was Vampire the Masquerade) who dressed like a raver and was just fucking insane... Had a bunch of flaws ("phobia - pencils" was one... made meetings fun, also had like PTSD flashbacks triggered by the name "Charles") and a driving goal (to find something, but I couldn't remember what - spoiler, it was Charles) and the rest just came naturally.

Remember, physical and mental traits are a lot easier to roleplay than social traits... You can play a beefcake without having muscles yourself, you can play a brainiac and roll for hints on solving shit you'd know because your character is smart, but it's a lot harder to play a casanova if you're an awkward as fuck nerd. At least until you get REALLY good at RP (though some systems make this easier to roll for than others).

Get inside their head. During downtime between games, just sit there and reflect on what happened in the last game and how that makes your character FEEL. Having a solid backstory (family, hometown, experiences) really helps with this one. Sometimes I do those stupid personality quizzes as if I were answering for my character, sometimes that helps, sometimes not. On a related note, journalling is a thing some people do. I find it to be too much effort most of the time as you have to focus on it rather than just zoning out while showering/doing work or whatever and thinking about your character.

Get inspired. Make a playlist of songs that helps you get in character and play them before a game as a pump up. Make a folder of artwork. Watch some films with similar characters. Work with your GM on how your character's lore fits into the world lore. Create a preexisting link with an NPC or another PC.

Pic unrelated :)
>>
I'm not sure how it happened, but my rp'ing career is basically that one progression image of cagliostro from granblue.

I blame /tg/
>>
Don't act unless you are a trained actor. Narrate instead.
>>
>>52826673

Read good literature.
>>
>>52827602
>Don't play combat encounters unless you're a trained soldier. Make sword-fighting sound effects instead.
>Don't min-max unless you're a qualified mathematician. Put random numbers on your sheet instead.
>Don't roll dice unless you're a professional gambler. Use an RNG instead.

Depart forthwith, ruffian.
>>
>>52826729
also good advice if you're trying to fake schizophrenia
>>
>>52826210
Don't be afraid to look stupid. You already do, it can't get any worse. Go all out. Just remember not to hog all the spotlight.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.