[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Campaign based on Amonkhet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: DustToDust.jpg (229KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
DustToDust.jpg
229KB, 1200x630px
Amonkhet looks really cool conceptually, an entire civilization built on training and going through dangerous adventures and trials with the presence of Gods just walking around seems like it could make for a fun tabletop campaign. I was thinking of taking the setting but removing the magic story bits such as Bolas, and changing some of the gods to have domains based on ways people die. I will most likely run it in 5e, what kind of cool storylines or changes do you guys think would make the campaign fun?
>>
perhaps expeditions outside of the Hekma to regain some lost artifacts?
>>
>>52820824
>Removing Bolas

That fucks with the whole society given it's based on his worldview.

I want to run Amonket, but I'm not seeing many story hooks beyond just training, no one really leaves the Hekma.
>>
>>52821684
I was thinking of making it where people want to succeed at trials for a better position in the afterlife, someone having accomplished nothing in life becoming a servant while those who do well could become bodyguards to emperors, advisors, etc.

I could have a bolas-like figure though?
>>
>>52821684
>That fucks with the whole society given it's based on his worldview.
>>52822016
>I could have a bolas-like figure though?

I doubt it's necessary. You can have a society obsessed with the afterlife without a Bolas figure. It does help to have a cruel God above Gods, who inspires what is basically an entire plane of death cultists. However you're just giving your players an obvious tyrant to take down. That's not always a bad thing, but it's not exactly taking advantage of the setting.
I'd go sans Bolas, and have the afterlife obsession simply being part of the culture via heritage. The conflict could be up to the players; they could explore the afterlife/trials, or try to overthrow the system. You could add conflict if they're durdling by utilizing the Gods or powerful figures; maybe have them be at odds; maybe have one of them go crazy/act strangely; maybe have one die, altering the world in an unexpected way. There are options.
>>
File: confusion.jpg (50KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
confusion.jpg
50KB, 774x1032px
>>52822016

Wait, I'm retarded, I assumed you were just going for Amonket, not one based on it.

Ignore what I said, listen to >>52822593

If you decide you need a Bolas, have an Apep like figure, could have the people training so hard in order to fight against the giant sun eating snake, but at that point, things sound more norse than Egyptian.
>>
>>52820824
> what kind of cool storylines or changes do you guys think would make the campaign fun?

I think you can keep Bolas, as long as you keep him as a Zeus-like God-above-the-Gods figure. He may be mentioned but I don't think even a level 20 party would be able to interact with him in any meaningful way.

>I was thinking of making it where people want to succeed at trials for a better position in the afterlife, someone having accomplished nothing in life becoming a servant while those who do well could become bodyguards to emperors, advisors, etc.

That's the basic storyline of Amonkhet without the Planeswalker bits, which if good. It actually is very conductive to a Dungeons and Dragons campaign; the party have been assembled because the God they worship has sent them out of Hekma to complete some task for their Trials. You could even give individual players extra goals to accomplish besides just bringing back the artifact the Gods are after. For example the Barbarian or Fighter of the group needs to bring back proof that they've bested a powerful enemy (Things like the Dune Beetle or that Scorpion Demon), or the Magic User has to solve a Sphinx's riddle and return with scrolls of knowledge that its guarding, Not all of these goals have to be a cooperative thing either; the card Trial of Soildarity has a quote from the White God of the set that literally says "You either succeed as one or fail as many", so it could be a trial in and of itself for the party to stay together to accomplish their varied tasks.
>>
>>52824794
I like this idea a lot.

How would you all handle the coming-back-to-life thing? Would you let players control their mummified remains or would you treat them as NPCs/Potential Helpers?
>>
>>52824932
I would honestly ask the players themselves; if they want to come back themselves they could come back mummified and play themselves, but if they wanted to make a new character then they could make a new character and have their old one as a retainer.

I'm not that experienced as a DM, so I've only really payed a module or two with friends and haven't done monsters as PCs, but I think you could houserule adding the Undead traits you think would work for a mummy onto the character would do fine.

You might want to ask the Fifth Edition General about the rules of that though.
>>
File: Dungeons and Eldrazi.jpg (274KB, 569x615px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons and Eldrazi.jpg
274KB, 569x615px
>>52824932

I say NPC's, the mummies haven't shown much sign of personality yet. Maybe just let them control them in fights and have them be passive in town/non-combat scenes.
>>
Did wizards confirm if we're getting a planeshift for this, like we got with Kaladesh, Innistrad, and Zendikar?
>>
>>52825016
I think I saw somewhere some mummies serve as trainers, but I haven't seen anything about them actually being able to speak or verbally communicate.
>>
>>52827558

In that case, let em play, just make em mute.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.