[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Enemies More Human

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Alright, so I'm working on a campaign as an on and off project, and one of the things that I wanted to avoid and remove from the campaign is to remove the feeling that the enemy soldiers the PCs will be fighting are just some goons that are only there for the encounter and just a number.

I have some ideas of how to do this, such as:
>Players come across field hospitals, temporary night stays, and other bits of soldiers lives that happens behind the front
>Gear personalized from changing around the assortment of gear they carry to be more comfortable, to unofficial modifications, to just drawings and writing on equipment like in Vietnam
>Soldiers dragging wounded and dead back into cover, crying out for mates as they get injured, not just fighting to the death
>Soldiers dying clutching keepsakes or nearby friends, some showing signs of having crawled a long way in pain to do so
>Players hearing soldiers talk and chat about everything, to the commanding officer being a dick, to how Daniel got whacked in the face by a frying pan when a cook panicked

I'm looking for ideas and feedback, not just for making npc enemies more then just numbers, but if it's a thing I should be doing in the first place. Knowing the guys I play with, this could go several ways, and I want some advise
>>
Going on with this, I also want to know if it's a good idea to give a small bit of character to everyone they meet, even if it just seems to be one encounter. Small stuff like complaining about some other jobs before dealing with PCs, or having some simple quirks and interests. How far is too far for this stuff
>>
>>52817535
Cowardice always works well, having corner enemies throw down their weapons and beg to spared, pleading that they have a wife and kids and such.
>>
>>52817535
Make them surrender and plead for their lives, after you've made it clear that they're normal people too.
>>
>>52817535
What kind of setting is it.
Like WW2? Because i think it would be harder to make them sympathize with nazis.
I know most german soldiers were just normal people, but video games and such have made people pretty desensitized to killing hordes of them.
>>
>>52818106
No it would be easier with WW2 Germany, especially before the Allies started walking through the country. All you need is an SS threatening the poor conscripts into continuing the fight.
When they started losing the war though and were really defending the fatherland, I doubt they'd give up easily.
>>
One element I also wanted to place in was the belief that surrendering will mean terrible things for the guy surrendering due to earlier actions of an over eager general. What could come of this?
>>
File: 1435007883758.png (109KB, 870x870px) Image search: [Google]
1435007883758.png
109KB, 870x870px
>>52818106
>Because i think it would be harder to make them sympathize with nazis.
Wehrmacht =/= SS.
SS were the replacement "armed wing" of the NSDAP after the SA had been eliminated and eventually evolved into an elite unite fanatically devoted to the Nazi cause, including examples of what was deemed the pinnacle of the Aryan race (if I'm not mistaken simply wearing glasses would exclude you from being able to join the SS, because the ideal Aryan doesn't have faulty eyesight).

The Wehrmacht was simply the German army and a continuation of the Prussian army. They were volunteers and conscripts with varied loyalty to the Nazi cause. Some were highly in favor of it, some opposed it, the grand majority just ran with it. Rommel, for example, was more or less forced into suicide for opposing Hitler on various affairs.

That's easy mode. This is hard mode: The SS are human beings too. They aren't some cruel machines or even all psychopaths, they are just human beings who follow a certain ideal. Even if you believe that ideal is inherrently disgusting, stop and think about what would drive a sane human being to adopt that ideal. Nazi's are not Nazism, much like Muslims aren't Islam.
>>
>>52817535
It's nice you do those things DM, as long as you don't get mad if PCs keep killing them the same way.

Taking me, I would do it not because 'lolmurderhobo', but because if you take a sword you will die by my sword. It's a very simple philosophy really.
>>
>>52818106
>le ebil nahtzees amirite
Spot the underage.
>>
>>52818314
>it's the "pure Wehrmacht" meme again

FUCK OFF back to >>>/pol/ you fucking wehraboo
>>
File: 9200483[1].jpg (146KB, 654x539px) Image search: [Google]
9200483[1].jpg
146KB, 654x539px
>>52819089
1. I never called the Wehrmacht pure. Considering you have the attentionspan of a goldfish with ADD, allow me to cite what I did say rather than forcing you to reread my previous post.
>Some [in the Wehrmacht] were highly in favor of [Nazi ideology], some opposed it, the grand majority just ran with it.
>The grand majority just ran with it
Notice that I state the majority of the Wehrmacht implicitly supported the status quo, or at the very least coudln't be bothered to condemn it. In what insane alternate reality is that "pure"?

2. If I were le ebin /pol/ boogeyman, why would I want to disassociate the Wehrmacht from the SS? Souldn't a more fitting belief for a pollack be that Hitler was the Great Savior beloved by all Germans and that every single German soldier dreamed of nothing more than killing and being killed in his name?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.