[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG: Snowflake/Lore/OC/Waifu General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 47

File: 1492713031507.png (2MB, 1801x1249px) Image search: [Google]
1492713031507.png
2MB, 1801x1249px
Keeping this shit alive Edition

>>52764120 Old Thread Here.

>Post about your planeswalker snowflake in the thread.
>Post/plan/collaborate stories.
>Avoid shitposting.
>Discuss Lore

Question of the day: Fashion. What does your flake like to wear no matter what plane they're on?
>>
File: TG MtG Character Sheet.png (299KB, 3627x2830px) Image search: [Google]
TG MtG Character Sheet.png
299KB, 3627x2830px
Updated the character sheet to look more neat. Can get the old one if people want.
>>
Also, posting Venn's Ignition Story.

Part 1:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15-x9_VrdaUG7fhPioFL0jHDG_WrCzkR1_2rePZRcKko/edit?usp=sharing

Part 2:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yf8Rl_wFYElPtkIaNqCZLyrfAEGWH8jUej3kN76ro5A/edit?usp=sharing

Part 3:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15EvfxOsfazbi0u90MewwK0stDivXYbF8HjhOjGWSMlY/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>52809008
Nice.
>>
>>52809008
Grandamin and Ashlyn seem like they'd get along. Or be rivals.
>>
File: IMG_0102.jpg (40KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0102.jpg
40KB, 200x285px
>>52809008
Keep this thing alive to the weekend and I'll post my arsenal
>>
>>52809177
Iron Chef, Snowflake style?
>>
>>52809369
That'd be pretty funny. Although I think the moment cooking is involved then Gradamin would mop the floor with Ashlyn. Maybe that's a skill she could learn though, if ever made to appreciate it.
>>
>>52809471
Honestly, I'm just pondering whom Venn could partner up with now since I'm not sure Serena's gonna be joining this storm.
>>
>>52809177
Obvious groups that I can see at this point are:
>The Association of Planeswalkers with a Fondness for Birds, of which Onek, Itai, Tsukiyo and Venn are members.
>The X-Men, populated by Aodhana, Akmogenos and Ushiwaka.
>Practitioners of the Culinary Arts, of which Ashlyn and Grandamin are members.
>Guild of Unappreciated Artisans, of which Kalana, Pascobar and Vosmir are members.
>>
>>52809607
>Venn
>Not a member of underappreciated artisans.
>>
>>52809693
Either works.
>>
I don't understand the appeal of this sort of nonsense.
>>
>>52810049
You're either too autistic or not autistic enough.
>>
>>52809008
I take my styling tips from Jace; they wear the same iconic outfit but layer it with a coat native to whatever plane they're on.
>>
I just want to say Kalana Ravan is neat and the best planeswalker.
>>
File: 1453350192856.gif (524KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453350192856.gif
524KB, 200x200px
>>52810484
>tfw when people say nice things about your OC planeswalker.

Why do you think so?
>>
>>52810531
UB is my favorite color combination so I'm a little bit biased. Never not liked a UB character.
But Kalana is fun, I like her unrestrained approach to invention and combining metal and undead is neat.

You should see if you can get art of her in drawthread or something.
>>
>>52810602
I've been thinking about doing that, but I almost feel dirty going and getting art for a character I'm not actually gonna play.
>>
>>52810623
I wouldn't.
I mean it is still /tg/ related and you never know.
You could end up playing that D&D-Kaladesh thing sometime and already have a character for it.
>>
>>52810769
Yeah fuck it. I'll make up a reference image tonight and see what happens.

Anyway, general lore question, does anyone know the origins of demons of Kaladesh? They seem really out of place.
>>
>>52811200
Aren't demons the manifestation of black mana, in the same way angels are the manifestation of white mana? They presumably exist on every plane that black mana exists on.
>>
>>52811200
Demons on Kaladesh are made by infernalists according to the art book. Something involving the Dark Schematic, possibly to recreate an extinct creature. Does warn that most demons eventually turn on their summoner.
>>
>>52811200
Good luck, I've been trying to get stuff drawn for my walker for a while no but to no avail.
>>
File: lymiasnowflake.png (2MB, 2004x1186px) Image search: [Google]
lymiasnowflake.png
2MB, 2004x1186px
>>52809008
Updated the card to have "up to" on the +1, so she's not totally useless if the opponent is on control, and to unify the templating between the 0 and the -2.

>>52811505
It's easier to just find good art and go off of that, in my opinion. I've had characters drawn really well, not drawn at all, or drawn really horribly by drawthread. It's a bunch of people anonymously drawing stuff, they're gonna be kind of inconsistent.
>>
>>52809008

>Boros colored Blacksmith

Fuck, I wanted to do this.
>>
>>52811660
Yeah, but I had an idea for a character and now I'm really attached to it. Shit's rough. I'm probably gonna troll around my vast archives of fantasy art and see if any catch my eye for a second Walker though.
>>
File: caerys profile.png (1MB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
caerys profile.png
1MB, 1562x1186px
Reposting updated Caerys for anyone who missed it.
>>
>>52811817
I feel like this could be fleshed out a bit more; maybe actually give her a home plane so that way you can develop her some more.
But I will admit I'm beginning to like her a little bit.
>>
File: Koda PalefurMKII.png (1MB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Koda PalefurMKII.png
1MB, 1562x1186px
posting in the new thread for whenever the grid anon comes by for updates.
>>
>>52812052
Thing is, I'm having trouble pinning down where's she's actually from. Probably gonna end up going with a snow-plane.
>>
>>52810602
There was a UB walker last storm who was a Dimir artificer. Basically just went sneaking around from place to place and stole artifacts.
>>
>>52812187
I stand behind the use of a made up plane. Having heaping handfuls of planeswalkers coming from this one cluster of planes feels sorta dumb.
>>
>>52812309
Both things are fine. Some flakes never have their home plane revealed especially if it doesn't matter or the character can't remember.
>>
>>52812204
Really?
>>
>>52810531
For the record: if you want your card to work the way you want it to, make the middle ability '0: Discard any number of cards. For each creature or artifact card discarded this way, put a loyalty counter on ~ and create a 2/2 black Zombie artifact creature token.'
Also the +1 looks odd from a balance standpoint but I'm not entirely sure there...if not for the ultimate. The ultimate is all kinds of broke due to how cheap it is and how cheap SHE is - UB is not a ramp color pair and it sure as hell should not be cheating out whatever the hell it wants guaranteed on turn 4
>>
>>52812405
Yes. It was my first flake.
>>
File: Ariadne.jpg (796KB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Ariadne.jpg
796KB, 1562x1186px
>>
>>52812850
This is from the last storm, yes?
>>
>>52812858
Is my waifu.
>>
>>52812858
Nothing wrong with posting or discussing stuff from previous iterations. New content doesn't need to rule every aspect of the storm.
>>
>>52812114
It's been saved. You won't need to keep reposting it.
>>
>>52812502
Yeah, looking back at it, it's broke as fuck. I'm not very good at making custom cards anyway.
>>
>>52812850
Being of extreme godlike power is conveniently wounded and up and decides to give said godlike power to some random one of Serra's creations (because it's GOTTA be a Serra Angel, can't be an angel from any other plane, one that DIDN'T get imploded premending).
What was this guy's name? Who cares.
>>
File: 1467434356905.jpg (53KB, 512x368px) Image search: [Google]
1467434356905.jpg
53KB, 512x368px
>>52813175
>Expecting something elaborated on a snowflake thread
this threads are not for quality
>>
>>52813127
I wasn't putting it down, just pointing it out. Someone in the thread's compiling a new flake sheet, so I thought that it might be useful to note which flakes are from the olden days.
>>
>>52813268
Don't worry. It is known.
>>
What do yall think of updating old flakes?
>>
>>52813375

Doing a revised version might be a good way to make up for something you didn't feel worked with the original version, but I think it's probably good to look forward rather than back.
>>
So are treefolk unable to be grown with sparks?
I kind of liked the idea of a lorwyn tree pre-awakening planeswalking away in response to danger. Then it awakens on a plane that doesn't naturally have treefolk. It seems like a fun "who/what am I?" type of situation.

Source for a tree using its spark before being awakened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Lx3Wnzt_s
>>
>>52813399
I was thinking of continuing their story since the flake started off as a mtg doomguy but grew beyond that in my writefagging.
>>
>>52813375
Editing/improving things is always good.
>>
>>52813469
More than one person has made a treefolk with the assumption that treefolk are able to house sparks.

Provided that treefolk are produced in a natural fashion rather than artificially created and begin their lives as sapeint beings, it's perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>52813375
There are some people that seem to be interested in revisiting or updating old flakes.

I'm not one of them, but It's alright. That being said, anybody who wants to use my old flakes in writefagging is welcome to, but I won't re-post their sheets here.
>>
>>52813375

I always wanted to writefag my last flake, but never got around to it
>>
>>52810623
If you'd rather have that art be used for Kalana, just say.
>>
>>52811773
Any Ravnican foundry type stuff is appropriate. The Boros Legion needs so many weapons, shields, and just tons of armor.
>>
File: 1492494254333.png (1MB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1492494254333.png
1MB, 1562x1186px
>>52813822
I would too. If the guy who's in charge of the snowstorm could do that I'd appreciate it.

Here's her sheet as proof I'm the OP, flimsy though that is.
>>
>>52814347
Also, I'm considering re-doing her as Grixis. I feel like it kinda fits her character more. She's got a fire of invention and a passion to push beyond the bounds of the conventional. She's self-interested and curious, but she's also got a whole "They said it couldn't be done, so I did it" thing going on.
>>
>>52814384
I kinda want her and Venn to cross paths. His story has him arriving at the Inventors Fair on Kaladesh
>>
>>52814785
You should be hangin' out on Steam, I think.
>>
>>52814785
>>52814906
Are you two going to do some aaaarr pee? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blb7DejmklY
>>
What's the point of threads if a clique just runs off to do everything off-site?
>>
>>52814785
I imagine they might actually get along, so long as they avoid, uh, political talk. They might even work together to figure out who fucked up their favorite/home plane.

>>52814906
The steam group is still a thing?
>>
>>52815156
Do you really want them to do their lewd snowflake wankery here?
>>
>>52815156
Trying to avoid that for the time being. I'm not actually doing anything off site right now.
>>
>>52815156
What typically happened the last few storms is they ran off, did their tee-hees, turned it into a story and posted that here.

That way we don't have hundreds of RP posts in the thread.

Though a lot of the general chat is fine for here.
>>
>>52815156
It's always been something that bugged me. It only really happened towards the end of these threads life cycles though, when most of the passing folks boil off and leaves the discussing wanky sludge at the bottom of the pot.
>>
File: Mindleech Mass.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Mindleech Mass.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>52815156
Because writing collabs is a bitch to do in-thread.

>>52815143
Get your mind out of the gutter. It's fucking eldritch down there.
>>
>>52815302
But what's the point of snowflakes if they're not all going to fuck each other senseless?

Y'know, that sounds like a pretty good beginning of a new snowflake!
>>
>>52809008
Can Chainer come back?

I always did like Chainer...
>>
>>52815510
Not only are you not the first one to think of it, but it wasn't a good even by flake standards. There are much better ways to apply shenanigans to a flake; just let the chaos flow.
>>
I have a queer question.
Anon, what is the COMFIEST plane? I mean, not just for in general but for you personally, somewhere that feels right? somewhere YOU'D want to be?

But also Which plane was your FIRST, the proper first plane you were apart of when you began playing? Why not want to live there?
>>
>>52816007
My first plane was Dominaria during planeshift, so fuck that.
>>
damn haven't seen one of these threads in months

are y'all hyped for amonkhet actually being dominaria
>>
Since vampires can be walkers can my snowflake be a pillar man or a stand user from jojo?
>>
>>52816433
No
>>
>>52815510
Let's not start this.

>>52816007
Shandalar is the most comfy. It has a kicken rad game too. Even though I knew about magic since forever, I only really got into playing it and doing stuff with the cards around the time of return to Ravnica. So the guide are my first taste of magic lore.

>>52816423
I don't believe this.
>>
>>52816436
ugh, what interesting character/class can be a walker?? it's all just mage and warriors.
>>
>>52816491
There's a Scout, Rouge, Assassin, Shaman, Knight, Druid, Monk, Adviser and a few Artificers.
That's a lot more than just Wizards and Warriors.
>>
How does one choose to travel about the plane they're in? Obviously it's too tiring just to keep jumping in and out all over the place, mounts? a caravan?
>>
Can Aetherborn become planeswalkers? Can they even survive outside of Kaladesh? A friend of mine proposed an idea where we all make planeswalker characters in 5e and basically run mini campaigns where the DM rotates after each one.
>>
>>52816758
Whatever the normal mode of travel is for the plane.
>>
File: feed me.png (302KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
feed me.png
302KB, 504x504px
The people who make it through the trials are killed and sent through the gates of the afterlife to Bolas and I'm pretty sure he eats them.
>>
>>52816815
No.
Aetherborn are a created race and can't become planeswalkers.
>>
File: Safari_Man_Hotto_Dogu.png (83KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Safari_Man_Hotto_Dogu.png
83KB, 240x240px
>>52817578
>MFW karn is a planeswalker
>>
>>52809008
>pascobar

yaaaas we need more mexican appropriation in MTG desu
>>
>>52816867
That might run counter to his stated intentions of making an immortal undead army of the baddest motherfuckers his own personal plane has to offer.
>>
>>52817601
Did everyone forget what crazy stuff had to happen for him to gain a spark in the first place?
Because lots of people seem to want things that can't be planeswalkers to be planeswalkers.
>>
Could a hive-mind creature become a planeswalker?
>>
>>52817635
doesn't change the fact that 'created' races can be planeswalkers. Nigger that's the whole plot of mirrodin 1.0
>>
Would another artificer planeswalker be redundant at this point? I have some ideas and some free time, so I thought I might give this a go.
>>
>>52817775
But no created race becomes a planeswalker in Mirrodin.
>>
>>52817806
>Mirrodin 1
>Memnarch, a golem, creates a machine that sucks life energy out of a planes' worth of people and converts it into a spark
>he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids

yeah it's hard, but it's possible and that's the point you goof
>>
>>52817841
So he didn't become a planeswalker?
Does this mean I was right?
>>
>>52817841
>>52817806

>inb4 hurr but h-he's the mirari!
>>
>>52816815
>>52817578
Aetherborn are weird.

>Aetherborn came into being spontaneously as a byproduct of the aether refinement process. Their bodies are in constant flux, as the aether residue they're made of gradually dissolves and is reclaimed by the aethersphere.

We are told that they are created as a byproduct of aether refinement but all of the other lore refers to them as being made out of aether. So the byproduct of aether refinement is aether? If this is the case, why didn't any aetherborn exist before the widespread usage of aether, why aren't they naturally occurring elementals? The only theory I have is that the refining process isn't very efficient. The following is head canon

Crude aether is gathered and processed into refined aether, which can safely be used to power the artifice of Kaladesh. This process is not perfect and creates a byproduct, which I will refer to as aether residue. Aether residue, for whatever reason, has properties different to that of crude or refined vapor, making it inappropriate for fueling artifice and impossible to refine. Over time however, it is 'reclaimed by the aethersphere,' which makes it sound like it reverts back to crude aether. The aetherborn themselves form like stars; clouds of aether residue that achieve a particular density collapse in on themselves, becoming condensed, solid bodies of aether residue that gain new properties. Namely, sapience. Over time however, the aether residue that makes them up reverts back to crude aether which is incompatible with the aetherborn's form and is released back into the aethersphere. Perfumes infused with aether residue are used to sustain the aetherborn for a time but it's never enough. Eventually, they dissolve into crude aether and reunite with the aethersphere.

>tl;dr
There are three types of aether but for some reason, the creative team just constantly refer to it as 'aether' without saying what sort it is.
>>
>>52817848
>Didn't =/= can't
>'Murican logic
>>
>>52817874
I never said he couldn't, I said he didn't.
It's possible and very hard so hard that we only know one and it took the joining of two sparks and possibly the strongest collection of mana in know history.
>>
>>52817749
MaRo has answered this question before.

The answer is "maybe, but it's a bad idea."
>>
>>52817893
>mfw it was an example because your original point was created races can't have sparks
>it has happened and shown to be possible
>aetherborn aren't even as artificial as robots

jfc
>>
>>52817961
Aetherborn are as artificial as angels and demons. They're effectively mana constructs that are naturally formed by the nature of mana on their plane. They're not living creatures that are organically born, making them invalid candidates for planeswalker sparks.
>>
>>52817961
But I never said created races can't be planeswalkers, I said it takes crazy stuff for a created being to become a planeswalker. So crazy that the number of times it's happened can be counted on one finger.
>>
>>52818011
>can be counted on one finger

That's great and I'm stealing that.
>>
>>52818233
Then remember to give credit to the mailbridman.
>>
>>52818256
Wait you're stealing it so nevermind.
>>
>>52818256
>>52818275
No, no... I'll remember.
>>
General Rules of Planeswalking according to Canon Lore

Rule 1: You're an Elemental, a mana being like an angel or demon, an artifact creature, or even a normal biological being created artificially like a Metathran or Phyrexian Newt? You didn't come into being with your own latent spark and thus can't become a Planeswalker normally.

Rule 2: Did you die? Like not ascended at the moment of what should have been your death, but spent a little time as a corpse? Any spark you had before is lost. Your resurrected/zombie ass isn't igniting and becoming a Planeswalker normally, and if you were a Planeswalker before you aren't anymore.

Rule 3: "Normally" is not the only way to become a Planeswalker.

Note 1: Karn is the known exception to rule 1. He had at LEAST one (probably more like three by now) spark transferred into him

Note 2: Sorin actually is NOT an exception to Rule 2; Innistrad's vampires are canonically not undead, they're more like blood-hungry vampiric supers created by a special magic serum or, later, blood of someone who was already a vampire.

Note 3: Creative has, notably, left the door open for Lich 'walkers when questioned since a Lich stores its soul safe and soundeven as its body dies. Technically speaking though, the Phylactery would be the Planeswalker...
>>
>>52818379
>Rule 2

There are also some planes where dying doesn't necessarily separate your soul from your body, or doesn't "kill" your self in the normal way. Theros is like this, where the soul only becomes dead after it puts on it's gold death mask in the underworld.
>>
Can a flamekin become a walker?
>>
>>52818404
As with the lich consideration, we don't fully understand the nature of your spark and its place in your being.
>>
>>52818422
Generally, no. I think the ones from Llorwyn have the potential to become planeswalkers, though. 'cuz sentience
>>
>>52809607
>Not putting Tristain in the Birds group
>When he has Storm Crow in his spell list
>And all the rest of his spells involve flying in some way
My little pirate priest is getting robbed.
>>
>>52809607
>(Thu)

Really? We got this far and no one said it?

Call them the Birdwatch
>>
>>52809607
Ushiwaka is more a Magneto type. Imagine Jetstream Sam and Ocean from Ocean's 11, but more sinister and slightly crazy.
>>
>>52818675
What would they even do? Eventually they'd get bored of talking about birds. One of them doesn't even like birds! And he's a bird.
>>
>>52818705
Overthinking a basic joke about this snowstorm having a lot of mutants.
>>
>>52818750
Of they're not really the kind to hang out, then maybe it's time to draw up new groups.
>>
>>52818756
>Not planning to write an X-Men knockoff of these guys vs the gatewatch
Buddy pls.
>>
>>52818795
Birdwatch vs Gatewatch

"You jackasses muck things up everywhere you go. We're not letting you destroy these birds' habitat!"
>>
What if an Aetherborn Vampire ate a planeswalker? Could they potentially inherit the Spark?
>>
>>52818826
Nice shitpost
>>
>>52818819
Tsukiyo and Jace just keep redirecting each others magic.
Itai vs Nissa, who can make the biggest sidekick Giant Robts vs Giant Elementals.
Venn vs Chandra I actually don't know what Venn can do other than makes swords.
Onek getting his ass beat by Gideon.
Liliana making bets with random spectators over what happens in the fights or sitting in the shade with a tall glass of some fruity beverage watching all of it unfold while a zombie fans her.

I would pay to watch this.
>>
>>52816007
Comfiest plane for me would probably be Ravnica. Seems like there'd be no shortage of work and a lot of things to do, even if it is dangerous by our standards.

As for first plane, Dominaria, more specifically Sarpadia during Fallen Empires. As much as I like thrulls, I don't like them enough to live next to them.
>>
>>52818826
Nope.
>>
>>52818832
Thanks, but it was a legitimate question.

>>52818903
Why not?
>>
>>52818877
Liliana and Kalana end up getting into a cat fight about zombies vs robot zombies.
>>
>>52818930
Hopefully you're being serious, this is why I think it can't happen, I may not have gotten all the details right because I didn't pay close attention to Kaladesh lore.
How would Aetheborn become a vampire? Especially an Innistrad vampire which is the only non-undead vampire, second what does that change? They already drain life. And if they drain their victims life they don't gain the powers from them, so draining a planeswalker would probably just kill the planeswalker rather than give the Aetherborn a spark.

>>52818946
But Kalana isn't part of the Birdwatch.
>>
>>52818930
Sparks can't just be taken. If you die, it is extinguished. Memnarch is the only being who figured out how to take a spark by force, and that was madness to accomplish. Probably no one will ever do it again.
>>
>>52818992
Fuck. I missed the impetus of that little situation.
>>
>>52818992

There's a whole thing about some Aetherborns being able to drain the life of other creatures to expand their short lifespan; they are always typed as Aetherborn Vampire s. See: Yahenni, Undying Partisan, Gifted Aetherborn, and Essence Extraction.

>>52818995
Ah. They can be given, but not taken by just anyone in any sort of casual manner.
>>
>>52819086
Looks like I paid little to no attention to Kaladesh, and it does seem like the spark must be given willingly or you need a huge planar level spell.
>>
>>52819110
Also, giving away your spark is almost certain death (I say almost because of Glissa) and actually making something artificial a planeswalker requires some pre-mending bullshit powers that no longer exist. Karn regained his spark because he had one before.
>>
>>52819167
Giving away your spark is only so dangerous because the stakes are already high whenever anyone considers doing it. It's often done as a sacrifice that allows someone else to be saved.
>>
>>52818930
>>52818826
>>52819086
Do other forms life-draining magic (which aetherborn life-draining is not really different from at all) transfer sparks to the life-drainer?
>>
>>52819260
There are zero examples of spark-thieving that weren't caused by Memnarch.
>>
>>52819260
No. At least, it's never been established anywhere so the safe assumption is that it doesn't work that way.

Sparks can be extinguished and reignited relatively simply, but not moved around easily.
>>
File: leanneflake.png (2MB, 1952x1482px) Image search: [Google]
leanneflake.png
2MB, 1952x1482px
>>52809008
>>
>>52819334
"Relatively easy"

Relative to what? It takes some weird stuff to make a spark stop working properly. It would be easier to permanently extinguish one by killing the walker than to nullify it.
>>
>>52819441
Relative to swapping them around. It's happened a couple times, Ob-Nixilis and Karn are big examples. But Karn is the only time a spark actually went from one being to another.
>>
I personally like the idea of an aetherborn having a spark due to some fuckery with the planar bridge, but their spark is so bizarre that they never really get control of it and just travel under circumstances that would make it ignite. Add in some shit about having to take essence from the locals before they just get torn apart by the blind eternities and I think you could have an interesting story to tell.
>>
>>52819315
While you're absolutely correct, I feel obliged to mention the long, weird chain that led to Karn.

Once upon a time there was Glacian, a than genius who probably had a latant spark. He was implanted with a powerstone that stayed there for years and may or may not have absorbed said spark (probably? It's heavily implied but not totally confirmed). Eventually Glacian croaked bt his spark stayed in the powerstone which, split in half, became the Mightstone/Weakstone. Which were found and fought over by the brothers Urza and Mishra. Eventually Urza got both and ascended by way of Sylex Blast (continent-sinking fantasy hyper-nuke) and his ascended form seemed to replace his eyes with the mightstone/weakstone or set them behind his eyes or some shit like that. Anyway Urza had his own spark that ALSO got drawn into the stone leaving him with probably two now-ignited Sparks (hence his "mightiest planeswalker ever but don't tell Taysir or Nicol Bolas" cred). Eventually, the Mightstone/Weakstone was removed from Urza's talking severed head and stuffed into Karn as part of the process for blowing Yawgmoth to kingdome come, putting the already ignited sparks that were somehow drawn into an implanted thran powerstone via freak scenario (as far as we know, no NOT all powerstones can do this) into Karn and making him a Planeswalker (and kinda finishing off Urza). More shit happened and Karn was busy being the Father of Machines, but then Venser came in and we got the Meatspark incident.
>>
>>52819592

For those who don't know, the Meatspark Incident is kind of a sticking point with us Lore Nerds, kind of like Karona's Wild Ride. We know Venser teleported his meat heart into Karn and this cured Karn of being all Phyrexian. Now Quest For Karn, being one of if not the worst M:tG Novels, treated this as a spark transfer in defiance of a few facts like how Yawgmoth spent a lot of time looking for a Planeswalker Organ unsuccessfully, or how if there actually is one it's the brain as confirmed by Dyfed's fate and Teferi in Time Spiral. Or how throwing a soon to be rotting hunk of meat into a silver robot man would DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Or how Karn already had one or two sparks and sparks do NOT protect you from the oil, at least not post-mending. Doug Beyer later clarified on the now-defunct/destroyed WotC official forums that the script called for Venser's sacrifice to transfer not his spark at all but the biological immunity to Phyrexian Oil that Melira had granted him, which makes a good deal more sense if you assume "teleport heart" makes for "Extreme wash karn with immune blood". But yeah, Meatspark Incident.
>>
>>52819602
The transfer of sparks doesn't seem so outlandish to me, but mostly because of Slovak giving up Glissa's, and some others giving up theirs during the mending.
>>
>>52819697
It's not that Venser couldn't have given up his spark (hence Karn now having 1-3), it's that the author of QFK handled it in the most painfully retarded way possible.
>>
What the fuck even is Ashiok?
>>
>>52819384
A decent example of subtle color representation. Not every red character has to be a quick-to-anger maniac, not every blue character has to be an autistic puzzle-solver. She takes a bit from both and is a stronger character for it. The smidgen of white's also got some representation. I can't fault you on your color pie, that's for sure.

I take it that the Tarkir cards are meant to represent her monastic teachings from her home plane? Otherwise I'd comment on her lack of visiting Tarkir.

The only thing I can fault you for is losing focus at the end. I'd like to hear about her exploits throughout the Multiverse after her spark ignited. Why's Valla her favourite plane, for example? What did she do there, who did she meet there? Be a little more specific with what she's up to and what she's done in the places she's been.

Despite that, pretty good.
>>
>>52819960
Fuck knows.

Some theorists guessed he might have something to do with Amonkhet, judging from his funky Bolas-esque horns and vaguely Egyptian garb.
>>
File: Gourmand-Face.png (62KB, 186x178px) Image search: [Google]
Gourmand-Face.png
62KB, 186x178px
>>52809369
>Ironflake Snowchef
YES
>>
>>52820002
I want to know who all is in Bolas' employ.
>>
>>52820083
Cooking battle needs Sauté
>>
File: IMG_0104.jpg (47KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0104.jpg
47KB, 223x310px
>>52820847
>>
File: GG.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
GG.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>52820979
Looks delicious, kinda like popcorn chicken, but with more screaming.
Incidentally, I wonder what gargoyle tastes like, I'll have to try and find a copy of The Underworld Cookbook.
>>
>>52821187
Beebles
>>
File: IMG_0106.jpg (45KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0106.jpg
45KB, 223x310px
>>52821187
You need this, friend.
>>
Would a R/B character be willing to exist as the.... servant of another being if (and only IF) doing so served their purposes.
I'm writing my character's backstory/envisioning their future and I see them adopting a servile role fairly often.
>>
>>52814347
I can fap to this.
>>52810484
And here I am, too, yes.
Guess I'll answer >>52810531
I think it's because she's a very clear, focused character.
In some ways giving her ties between the two most recent block settings can be seen as convenient/cop-outish, but it's a flake-risk that pays off in the case of this character, since the ties between the worlds are actually meaningful.

UB Frankensteining is cool, and she is in some ways to Saheeli as Ashiok is to Jace. Groovy.
She's pretty cool :3

I second the motion for getting some OC art requested by a drawfag for her.

>>52816007
Comfiest: Theros/Ravnica
First: Alara - the place is probably still a mess so pass on that.

>>52811660
I kinda like the custom planeswalker card template thing. I may do this for my snowflake when I get around to it.

>>52819384
Oh hey who's this quaint snowbal-
>Preferred Decks
>Unreliable combos that can fizzle while going off.
Sonovabitch that is adorable.
>>
>>52822252
Oh god, he's arrived.
>>
>>52822252
You cut that out.
>>
>>52816007
>Comfiest
Hm... I'm going to go with Ulgrotha. An-Havva seems like a nice place to live and Aysen isn't too far off. Granted, it's got Baron Sengir, but he's always felt more low-key than the problems most planes have. Kamigawa would also be pretty comfy post-Kami War

>First
Technically I started playing during Mirage block, most of which is Phased Out or Wasteland right now, but I really started engaging in the Expert-Level expansions as of Tempest so...

Yeah, I'm gonna pass on Rath.
>>
>>52822197
As a mage on Kaladesh essentially to remain free from The Consulate they sell themselves to an aetherborn crime lord, doing some nasty stuff on the side to remain free.
On Tarkir they end up learning draconic stupid fast and act as a translator for Simulgar's brood and make friends with a small pride of Rakshasa wizards. The stress of pleasing the Dragons, the attempts on his life, and the draining effect the storms have on his senses ensures that he doesn't stay long.
>>
>>52822197 >>52822453
Does this seem like something a Red/Black character would do? Red is all about personal freedom and I'm not sure if this would be possible.
Chandra seems to resent any attempt to reign her in.
>>
>>52818992
>innistrad are the only non undead vampires

Pretty sure zendikar's aren't dead either. They're cursed by eldrazi and that's also why they have handlebars.
>>
>>52822586
I thought red was officially creativity & passion, which generally resulted in wanting personal freedom (so they can express themselves without some fucker [W/U] trying to stop them).
>>
File: Axemerax.jpg (141KB, 917x719px) Image search: [Google]
Axemerax.jpg
141KB, 917x719px
First attempt, would appreciate a bit of feedback.
>>
>>52822666
I like it.
You've managed to place him appropriately in the current story and his gimmicks are pretty cool.

I'd like to know a bit more about him as as far as personality but you can develop that later.
For the timebeing he seems generally pissed :P
>>
>>52822666
Image quality on cards could be better, but the sheet is pretty good. Also, nice evil trips.
>>
>>52822666
>>52822901
Also I was going to question Grixis over simply Izzet alignment but the whole 'life sustaining armor' thing can have pretty black vibes, layered on top of the fact he's a mutant now.

Also Grixis may as well be destined with those fucking trips, which I have promptly checked.

So, do you suppose he would heal from being a mutant back to a healthy Viashino or is it a permanent affliction?
>>
>>52822901
Thanks. I'm pretty shit at magic, but I'll try to get a decent deck going for him sometime. Not sure if artifact R/U/B is any good.

>>52822914
Yeah, I think I should of made the sheet bigger, rather than shrink everything down.

>>52822986
Black in this case stems more from his resentment at being used as a test subject, and his desire to rise above his position's being warped into a desire to dominate those around him. As for the mutations, I'm planning on them being a permanent affliction.
>>
File: flakepage.png (334KB, 1952x1482px) Image search: [Google]
flakepage.png
334KB, 1952x1482px
>>52823028
>Yeah, I think I should of made the sheet bigger, rather than shrink everything down.
Just on a technical level, I had the same issue with the old template and I think the new one might be even more cramped. Pic related is the old template scaled up to 125%, as seen with Leanne. It makes it pretty comfy to fit around 9 images off Gatherer including text or a whole bunch if you care about showing less.

As to the flake himself, I like it. He's a quick sketch of a character but that's as much as we've got for some canon options like Domri or Tibalt. He has an engaging existence that blends the themes of his home plane and his plane of residence, drawing on two distinct inspirations. His color identity is realized in his connections to the Izzet League and the Aetherborn if nothing else. I feel like more could be done with him, but you have a decent grounds for doing more.
>>
>>52822666
Would you happen to be a phone poster?
>>
>>52809008
>Elaine
>Serena

OK, who thinks the crime that got Serena sentenced to execution was the (botched, attempted) assassination of Elaine?
>>
Ravnica is a huge plane.
Is the entire plane parted neatly into little sections, each one completely taken over by one guild only?
Or is it like each neighborhood is different?
>>
>>52823464
Nah. Just thought that the image would turn out better than it did.
>>
>>52823740
Right.
>>
>>52823669
Pretty sure each neighborhood is different - with many being subject to change as a result of turf wars/territory acquisition/whatever.
>>
>>52823669
It seems like there are many districts/neighborhoods and the guilds can hold turf in any. They all have some "Home Turf" around their guildhalls (Like the Rubblebelt for the Gruul, the catacombs around Rix Maadi for Rakdos, the area around Vitu Ghazi for the Selesnya) but other than that the city isn't neatly parceled and since the different guilds at least in theory provide different civic services, they actually HAVE to operate in each other's turf. After all, you get no power or running water without the Izzet, your trash doesn't get picked up with out the Golgari, without one of the Golgari, Selesnya, or Simic you won't have food, the Dimir have reacted to the whole Szadek incident outing them as of RTR by becoming the post office, and so on. Not every block needs all ten guilds sticking their fingers in it, but between all of them wanting to and some of them having to, they exert their influence everywhere.
>>
File: Ashlyn WIP.png (2MB, 1984x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Ashlyn WIP.png
2MB, 1984x1186px
Posting a further edited and improved sheet in the new thread.

After work I'll add "what are they up to now" and figure out all these dang planes and her favorite.

Any input?
>>
>>52823960
More accurate depiction of the beasts of Naya. Other than that, can't seem much change worth commenting on.

Good as always.
>>
>>52823784
This guy gets it.
>>
File: Tristain in Theros.pdf (74KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Tristain in Theros.pdf
74KB, 1x1px
I'm not happy with this, but I can't figure out what to change. It's the bit with Keranos that I'm having trouble with, mostly. Anyone willing to help me out?
>>
>>52825290
I almost feel like you would benefit from a lot more exposition regarding Tristain's confusion and feelings from being washed ashore, and a bit more dialogue with the acolyte. I get the feeling that you're trying to showcase his confidence, but the piece is honestly too short to fully encompass what is going on and it comes off as clumsy.

Double spaced certainly looks clean, but when you compress it down, you've crammed Tristain's being washed ashore, his meeting with both an acolyte and a storm god, and his revelation off his first planeswalk into about a page and a half. Whitespace looks nice, but it's not content.

The structure of the story is sound, but I think you could greatly improve the piece by adding a lot more meat to the bare bones.

Also a bit on Keranos:
>Keranos embodies the fury of the storm and the sudden blaze of epiphany. A god of little patience and less mercy, he dispenses insights and blasts of lightning in equal measure. Keranos is intolerant of mortals, whom he sees as reckless.

If Keranos himself is bothered enough to show up to the temple in person, and finds some random mortal shithead praying to the wrong god, I don't feel like he'd just laugh off the whole thing, offering helpful advice to the foreigner. Exploring this conflict and perhaps even showcasing Tristain's reaction to pissing off the wrong god might be an interesting way to take it.

Just some thoughts, I don't want to come off as too prickly, but I figured you might want to know since you said you yourself were not happy with how the story came out.
>>
>>52825849
First, thanks for the assistance.
I know that I tend to make my pieces way too short, but I'll do my best to exposit more.
I wasn't too clear on Keranos's personality, but I really had nowhere to go with that whole interaction to begin with.
I'll do my best to fix the errors you pointed out.
>>
>>52825960
Keranos is basically Zeus.
Actually, Keranos is quite literally Zeus.

Boisterous, impatient, and a general dick unless he decides he likes you for some reason, but everyone just kind of does what he says because the alternative is trying to dodge lightning bolts.
>>
I'd say all of the Theros gods are just awful.
>>
File: Dictate_of_Kruphix.jpg (309KB, 1200x878px) Image search: [Google]
Dictate_of_Kruphix.jpg
309KB, 1200x878px
>>52826383
Kruphix is good.
>>
>>52826412
Didn't he destroy the mind of Purphoros simply because his actions threatened to upset the balance?
>>
>>52826446
Kruphix is based like that. I'd call reining in the dickery of the other gods a decent action
>>
Telepathy is the most evil form of magic.
I'm going to make a planeswalker whose whole goal in life is to create an organization on every plane dedicated to destroying the dreaded psychic menace.
Your thoughts are your own, and do not belong to anyone else.
>>
Would anyone object to an older flake coming back if I started writefagging?
>>
>>52826846
I wouldn't, as much as that counts for anything.
>>
>>52826534
Purphoros was trying to overthrow Heliod for being such a fucking tyrant. Is that dickery?
>>
>>52826919
Has Purphoros ever technically done bad shit? From what I've seen of him, which is admittedly little, he seems to be a solid all-around guy. Maybe being the god of red lets him empathize better with those under the heels of the other gods?
>>
>>52827514
To overthrow Helios, rather than challenge his authority he built a sword that destroys nyx and almost kickstarted the apocalypse.
>>
File: Landing.pdf (54KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Landing.pdf
54KB, 1x1px
>>52825849
Alright, it's not very much longer, but I feel like I managed to fit a bit more exposition in there. I cut out the whole Keranos thing because that was just a bit too snowflake-y and focused more on how Tristain took the whole Planeswalking thing.
>>
So what's the verdict on Fate Reforged cards in flake lists? I know that Khans cards are generally frowned upon, but I haven't seen a real consensus on Fate Reforged.
>>
>>52829082
Why not, if a flake is that old? FRF is part of the "new" timeline.
>>
>>52829222
Well, there are a few FRF cards that fit the design of a flake I'm building, but he's not really an oldwalker or anything. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, do you think spells like Valorous Stance and Wild Slash are still in use in the new timeline?
>>
>>52829257
Well both seem to represent pretty generic battle "actions" rather than spells, so I'd say they're pretty universal.
>>
Is it ever really explained what exactly Djinn and Efreet are, cosmologically speaking? Could one of them have a spark or are they more like Elementals and Angels?
>>
>>52830132
The tarkir Djinn are almost definitely biological and "born"
The way the Efreet are described they seem to be "born" similar to the Lorwyn flamekins.
>>
>>52827640
I mean Heliod warrants it. At least Mogis ADMITS he's an asshole. Heliod is an ass just because.
>>
>>52827640
To be entirely fair, the forging of the weapon was part of challenging Heliod's authority, given that he was trying to invent a weapon that might actually pose a threat to their immortal forms, and thus give him leverage in his point given that otherwise they'd be able to do pretty much nothing to each other, but I can see your point of his inventing an anti-divine nuke in such a form that it had infinite uses and could be lost on someone's weapon rack was probably not the most sound of decisions.
>>
>>52830132
Tarkir djinn and efreet are probably safe to make flakes out of it, since they're just weird-looking humanoids and not technically elementals.

If you're talking about djinn and efreet from other planes, that's another thing entirely. Your typical examples just seem to be spirits of some sort, but I've got noidea how they're formed.
>>
File: Axemerax(1).jpg (153KB, 1010x771px) Image search: [Google]
Axemerax(1).jpg
153KB, 1010x771px
Alright, tried to resize it for better card quality.
>>
>>52826412
The constellation look that they give the gods just about makes it hard to make out the lightning.
>>
File: Mysel Banik.png (1MB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Mysel Banik.png
1MB, 1562x1186px
>>52809008
We lived for five days, eh? I guess it's time to finally throw in some flakes. This guy got lost at the end of the last storm, so I'll pitch him in. New Flakes to come later today.
>>
>>52833161
I like the character.

I'm a bit curious about the spell list, but mostly because I wonder how the character learned spells of that power.
>>
>>52821187
>>52821603
Gotta love Time Spiral callbacks.
>>
>>52835284
Brand new at this shit, I'll muck about with it when I have the chance.
>>
>>52835888
Having powerful spells isn't an issue, it's just hard for someone to learn then and 5 mana means a lot more in lore than it does in the game.
>>
>>52835888
It's cool. As the Plaguelord says, all flakes are shit. You get relatively better at it with more practice and thought; I know that plenty of my flakes last storm were boring or not detailed enough.
>>
>>52835915
Got it, thanks.

>>52835918
What's this Storm thing I'm hearing about?
>>
>>52835953
The image in the OP of this thread. The collections of flakes. We've had I think three now, maybe four.

Called snowstorms, or just storms for shot, because they're big collections of flakes.
>>
>>52835953
The characters are "flakes" which is short for "snowflakes." So a long series of threads where flakes are made is called a "storm" which is short for "snowstorm."

When people refer to the last "storm," they mean the one last year that lasted for several months.
>>
>>52836175
>snowflakes

This is a long-going joke about how planeswalkers, especially fan-made garbage, are like "special snowflakes"

Obviously nobody here really takes offense, or else threads like this wouldn't exist.
>>
>>52834929
Way to sub-theme into something really unusual.
>>
>>52836404
I take offence, my snowflake is the specialist of them all.
>>
File: mtgdmzfpk1[1].jpg (281KB, 550x490px) Image search: [Google]
mtgdmzfpk1[1].jpg
281KB, 550x490px
My local gamestore is moving locations and they got a lot of overstock shit. I'm not sure if this is a terrible idea or not, but;

Dragons Maze fat packs

$10

Should I buy two and combine them with my current collection to make a cube?
>>
>>52837224
If you're interested in Cube, then sure.

IMO, if you make a cube using cards out of Dragon's Maze, you should definitely have a set of Gates and abuse multi-color play.
>>
>>52837224
If you don't mind drowning in cluestones, sure.
>>
Omg it's back.
>>
>>52837722
Omg
>>
>>52837746
How...how long has this been here? Not been on /tg/ in months.
>>
>>52837755
This is the Nth iteration, I'm not sure which. But only like 2~4 threads for this one? There were months of it being laid to rest.
>>
>>52837829
Fuck. Now I have to actually finish that sheet I was working on months ago.

Anything fun happen in the last 4 threads?
>>
>>52837851
Nope
>>
>>52837954
Any of the old flakers about?
>>
>>52837755
Since Tuesday, this is thread 2, and The last storm died by sometime last November.
>>
Hey everyone, out of curiosity, what's your process for making flakes?

One of my favorite parts of magic is that in the fluff you are a planeswalker. So what I like to do is take one of my existing decks I already have and think "what character would use this deck?" and work from there.
I imagine that might be backwards compared to some of your processes? Also, I really enjoy hunting down the existing cards for "preferred spells" and equipment carried that fit just right.
>>
>>52838253
>what's your process for making flakes?
Sometimes when I think about mtg, I wonder "what would this [insert x] be like?" So I make a flake for it.
>>
>>52837975
Can I pretend to be part of the old boys club?
>>
>>52838795
Why not? You can be he who shall not be named. You know. The one we all hate.
>>
>>52838795
It doesn't particularly help.
>>
>>52838868
Fine.
>>
>>52838253
Personally, I hit random a few times on grognard booru, until I get something that looks reasonable, then imagine their backstory.
>>
>>52838253
Most of my previous flakes were made by finding art and then building a character around that art.

Some others were designed by finding ideas that aren't commonly used and building a flakes that specializes in them.
>>
>>52838253
>Okay, I'm making a character built specifically around this sort of deck. How do I make that work from an in-character perspective, without making it seem horrible and gamey?
>Okay, I'm making a character of this color or these colors. How do I make this work in a manner which is interesting without breaking the color pie in any fashion?
>Okay, I'm making a character that subverts the trends of this particular snowstorm. How do I do this in an entertaining and particularly silly fashion?

Those were my methods. For the third category, I did notice that each storm had specific trends by the time they acquired fifty or so flakes.
>First storm
There were ten to fifteen flakes which either came from Tarkir or visited Tarkir and absolutely hated the dragons and wanted to overthrow them. This was, of course, just three or four months after DTK came out, during the end of Origins.
>Second storm
At least twenty flakes were absolutely devoted to saving Innistrad from the Eldrazi horrors that were popping up all over it, with half of them being infatuated with angels in some manner or another and half of those specifically being infatuated with either Avacyn or one of the three sisters.
>>
File: Belloski.jpg (307KB, 1570x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Belloski.jpg
307KB, 1570x1186px
>>52809008
>Bellugi
Wait just a fuckin' minute.

Somebody's been conned here.
>>
>>52841336
Cool, someone else who uses decks as a starting point.

It looks like Ashlyn missed out on snowstorm 1, since while she doesn't hate the dragons (far from it) I'm considering her current activities being related to murdering dragons and inspiring some of the people of tarkir (or, more small scale, just those living in atarka lands) to not be subservient to dragons.

After all, you don't have to be the slave of a dragon to appreciate their endurance, cunning, ruthlessness, speed, or savagery.
>>
>>52841555
makes sense, one jewragon conning another out of his identity
>>
>>52841336
The last one died as Kaladesh was beginning, and this one is starting as Kaladesh dies and we go into Amonkhet. I imagine that those planes will be very relevant. Especially since flakewriters like to hang around on the fringes of the active story without interfering in it.
>>
>>52841636
Nothing really happened in Kaladesh that people got upset about.

Tarkir had muh dragons ruining everything, Zendikar had muh Eldrazi being ruined, Innistrad had muh angels being ruined and more fucking Eldrazi. Kaladesh didn't really cause much of a stir in that regard.
>>
>>52841636
I tried to hook my walker into the story by implying that she might end up working with Bolas. I feel like that might be a common theme with the evil walkers in this storm.
>>
>>52841718
besides characters having a bullshit excuse for making planar travel without sparks a possible thing again
>>
>>52841752
it's not ideal to try and hook your characters into the main story, we mostly try to dance around the concept, or completely avoid it all together.
>>
>>52841872
Anybody who takes advantage of the possibility, but ignores the revelations how hard it was to do and what went on in Kaladesh is dumb.
>>
>>52841872
>>52841932
What even happened to to the Bridge?
>>
>>52841992
broke while one of the kids was trying to cross it, like, halfway through the story. Was really jarring, which I think was the point
>>
Threads like this one always remind me of how comfy /tg/ can be. Keep going!
>>
File: Glittering Wish.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Glittering Wish.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>52842464
Got a batch of flakes in the oven. They'll be out later.
>>
>>52809008
>another Serena

At least she's not an angel.
>>
>>52841900
Bolas literally has a consortium of planeswalkers that do his dirty work from him. He likely makes a hobby out of mindfucking planeswalkers into servitude wherever he finds them.

Bolas is one of the few walkers that it's totally fine for a snowflake to encounter, as long as that encounter ends with 'and so X became one of the many bitches of Bolas.'
>>
>>52838253
Since I've always seen magic cards as representing the powersets and aesthetic of a planeswalker, I tend to gather a selection of cards together to represent a powerset aesthetic I like first, then pull things from the lore to help build a character and personality around the spells I've selected being used together. This has gotten pretty problematic in the past, though, when spell flavor I've selected to work together and the aesthetic I've built simply do not agree with how color philosophy mechanics actually work, resulting in a range of spells that have a unified theme, having a personality that would use these spells and works with their theme, but not having a personality that represents one which the use of the colors included in these spells would cause. So far, though, I've been improving, scrapping/splitting concepts and stretching others to better fit. It is a bit of a hassle to construct a personality that can actually function with the combination of spell flavors I've chosen, but that's on me and my backwards way of doing things.
>>
>>52838253
>what's your process for making flakes?

>Step 1: Concept. Can be a deck, a character trope or subversion thereof, a thought experiment in color pie, basically anything
>Step 1.5: Decide it's not fit for the snowflake witefag group I poke my nose into sometimes, since most flakes just get lost down here.
>Step 2: Put Flesh. Decide on most of the other elements that could have been the genesis of the flake but weren't/
>Step 3: In the Cards. Pick at least a few cards that evoke the character
>Step 4: Finishing details. Devise a backstory and maybe some additionally accents to the dominant character notes and fill in the flake sheet.
>>
>>52844035
Bitch, nobody cares how shit your flake idea is, it's all good.
>>
If cards in Exile are like super gone, completely destroyed so to speak in the game terms.... Then what exactly is the Delve mechanic about?
>>
>>52844189
Graveyard/Exile interactions are... weird. They don't have a consistent flavor. Delve seems to be based on using literal scraps of previous endeavors to power your spellcraft, while Leyline of the Void, instead of just expending resources, is all about things meeting complete metaphysical annihilation.
>>
>>52844189
Delve was a mechanic introduced in Future Sight, then brought back later being used by the Sultai Brood. It represents a sort of necromantic expenditure of grave resources to fuel spells. You can't raise the dead if you used up their remains as spell components.
>>
>>52843079
Looking to the cards is a pretty cool way of going about it. I like that approach even though, like you say, it is kinda backwards from just thinking of a character.
>>
File: Salum.jpg (970KB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Salum.jpg
970KB, 1562x1186px
Alright. I have new flakes.
We're goin' in WUBRG order today. I'm gonna tag all of them to this post.

If you see one of these five and you want to use them for anything, go for it. It's free game. You don't have to ask. If you want to use them for something ever and you have questions, just ask in the thread.
>>
File: Salum Spreader of Peace.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Salum Spreader of Peace.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>52844532
>>
File: Salina.jpg (982KB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Salina.jpg
982KB, 1562x1186px
>>52844532
U
>>
File: Salina of the Gyre Clade.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Salina of the Gyre Clade.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52844571
>>
File: Artemis Carsin.png (3MB, 3627x2830px) Image search: [Google]
Artemis Carsin.png
3MB, 3627x2830px
I'd like to think that there's a planeswalker that is consistently caught up in every major event, but never actually gets a mention because they just left after everything started going to shit, and they're really starting to hate the jacetice league since they're at the center of it pretty much every time now.
"Oh shit, not those dickheads again, I just want to find a place to settle for fuck's sake"
>>
File: Costin.jpg (832KB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Costin.jpg
832KB, 1562x1186px
>>52844532
B
>>
File: Costin the Ever-Frightful.jpg (29KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Costin the Ever-Frightful.jpg
29KB, 375x523px
>>52844603
>>
File: Tyral.jpg (1MB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Tyral.jpg
1MB, 1562x1186px
>>52844532
R
>>
File: Tyral Master of Impulse.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tyral Master of Impulse.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>52844638
>>
File: Karrok.jpg (856KB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Karrok.jpg
856KB, 1562x1186px
>>52844532
G
>>
File: Karrok Troll Gigantomancer.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Karrok Troll Gigantomancer.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>52844673
>>
>>52844532
He feels GW. Why did he accept the monk's offer to take him in? I would also emphasize whether he's more about solving big problems that affect a bunch of people or specific people with their personal demons. The former is generally more common but it could be cool to have a planeswalker who is more interested in finding specific people who need his help and possibly take them on as disciples, like the monk who helped him originally.

>>52844557
The plus ability is underpowered. You could make it just prevent all damage to a thing I'm sure. Just look at kiora or some other existing walkers that prevent damage.

The minus ability is worded horribly and can be exploited. You can just activate it second main phase after you attack. I'd consider trying something a bit different with better wording.

Ultimate is fine.
>>
File: Artemis, Tithe Collector.png (241KB, 375x524px) Image search: [Google]
Artemis, Tithe Collector.png
241KB, 375x524px
>>52844593
Since that other guy made cards for his, I had a shot at it.
>>
>>52844673
This one feels a bit lacking.
>>
>>52844837
Swap the plus and minus abilities.
>>
>>52844837
Woah, also planeswalkers don't have creature types. It should be Artemis, not Cleric.

Look at some real cards before just tossing something together.
>>
>>52844971
Fair enough, I was worried about the +2 being too similar to Sorin Markov's anyway, I guess swapping them would make it less obvious it's just a shittier version of it.
>>
>>52845015
Mkay, good point about the type, but honestly, I just tossed the entire character together, so I'm not surprised some things didn't really come out well.
>>
File: Axemerax.png (956KB, 1150x874px) Image search: [Google]
Axemerax.png
956KB, 1150x874px
Latest iteration. Swapped out favoured spells, wept at image quality, added a little more to his motivations, tried and failed to figure out how to get 9 legible cards listed.
>>
>>52844454
see, it's not just cards, but art and flavor in a range of cards or related to them. I don't really build based off decks, I'm pretty damn casual, but ideas in the powers available to a planeswalker that sound really cool together. It just happens that some of these ideas, while they blend nicely as far as overall powerset or narrative aesthetic goes, do not blend well for how personalities work in this, and that trips me up a lot.

Another way I've made flakes is by finding art I liked first and trying to make attribute a powerset and lore to the art, which is how I made my flake for this storm actually.
>>
>>52844557
peace counter is very interesting. I like the theme of pacifism. Ive wanted a "monk" tribal/race since forever
>>
>>52817850
He is the Mirari
>>
>>52844779
You can only tell so much in a bio. But if you have anger problems that mess up your life and someone offers to help out, some people would take that chance.
Also, both. Inner and outer peace, especially because inner peace goes a long way towards solving issues where people lash out at one another.

As for the power, yeah, maybe. I just picked a low-cost spell that was appropriately in his style, as a lot of Planeswalker abilities are done.

>>52844673
He's pretty simple. Karrok is troll. Troll live troll life. Get big, fight things. Challenge.
>>
File: Forpols_The_Friendly_Fungus.jpg (1020KB, 1562x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Forpols_The_Friendly_Fungus.jpg
1020KB, 1562x1186px
I should maybe update Forpols at some point
>>
>>52844903
>>52846773
Meant to link to here.
>>
>>52846687
Yeah. It basically reads "at the beginning of your upkeep, cast Pacifism in counter form."
>>
>>52846792
Nope. I can't link for shit. I'ma go chill out for a minute.

>>52846772
>>52844903
>>
File: Frozen Solid.jpg (43KB, 200x284px) Image search: [Google]
Frozen Solid.jpg
43KB, 200x284px
Time to brew up some tasty, tasty things.
>>
My OC planeswalker > your OC planeswalker
>>
>>52848083
Friendly Mushroom > Not a Friendly Mushroom
>>
I have two flakes that I made between this storm and last storm, but I can't get myself to finish their sheets. What do?
>>
>>52845508
Get more equipment on that bad boy
>>
>>52844593
He must be starting to get pissed off that with every plane he visits, these Gatewatch assholes always show and seem to start causing trouble.
>>
>>52848198
finish their sheets. If you're having writer's block or hold ups on things, discuss
>>
>>52848198
Scrap them and move on. I find it's best not to try to retread old ground. At least when you're trying to get back into something.
>>
Is this where I ask for pdfs and digital books for MtG?

I'm hoping to get the complete collection of MtG books, comics, etc. and don't know where the mega link is on /tg/.
>>
>>52848480
Man, I just made him. I'm gonna give him some gear from each plane he visits.
>>
File: 636058109359780727 - Copy.jpg (25KB, 199x245px) Image search: [Google]
636058109359780727 - Copy.jpg
25KB, 199x245px
Hey guys, I went and made us a discord.
It should serve as a nice compliment to the threads.

https://discord.gg/4mSsc99

I've also worked out preventative measures for clique cancer, namely containment channels with guidelines therein.
>>
>>52844673
A troll planeswalker is cool, surprised they haven't made one in-canon yet.

I like that he's a spellshaper.
It's interesting he can get gigantic, you might run into problems with that in certain settings but then again actual size increase manages to be a staple of MTG.
>>
>>52851600
there's also a steam group as well
>>
>>52844618
The Sarkhan the Mad design style is pretty cool.

It's a bit weird that fear kinda works inversely to what the keyword suggests.
The creature 'has' fear more than 'is' afraid. It makes it scary, rather than scared.
I like how the ultimate is terror.
Modern design would see it granting menace instead of fear, or maybe make an opponent's creature unable to block till end of turn.
I'd change the name of the card to be 'Costin, Ever-Frightful' or 'Costin the Frightful' to make it extra punchier.

>>52844603
As for the character, I like how he's monocolored.
Based on the description it's a bit vague as to whether there's a cause to the fear or it's more of a disorder that he has. Would be pretty cool to explore, though this is a kind of character where mystery is very nice too.
>>
>>52851781
I don't really like doing groups on Steam, but am happy to coexist.
The steam page I found seems to be preoccupied with Snowstorms and Flakefights and such events. Truly, Steam does seem good for organizing events, for those who like that sort of thing.
My intention however with the discord is to have more of a slow burn hangout for those who want to obsess more quietly.
>>
>>52852174
honestly nothing much happens in the steam group currently, if you found the right one then those posts about flake fights are ancient, from the last storm, and currently there's been little activity. Generally speaking, we're pretty lax in the group, but I can understand not liking the medium.

>>52851970
if memory serves, the boy's just got a deep wellspring of mana to'm along with a very good imagination, and can't help but accidentally cast the monsters he fears. I could be wrong though, his creator will probably correct me when he's back.
>>
>>52851668
Yeah, he's fine anywhere up until he has to start using magic, at which point his surroundings dictate just how big he can get. He's on the small side for a troll, after all. He mostly likes to hang out in the woods with other trolls, though.

>>52851970
Yeah, the fact that he's afraid of everything, including his own powers, makes it so he doesn't look using them to help you. Eventually he just can't handle it anymore and leaves. And the oldschool "fear" card in his powers are all part of the flavor. Sometimes his magic influences things around him, making them become more terrifying for a moment, which of course triggers his own fearfulness. I won't say what, if anything, is making him like this, but it is like living with a curse.
>>
>>52852257
If you live on Innistrad, there's no shortage of things to be afraid of, and therefore imagine that you're about to run into trouble. When he gets scared, he unintentionally releases that fear as magic on others.

No creatures though, for some reason. Strange... I wonder why that is?
>>
>>52852174
Join the Steam Group. We're tryin' to get it more active.
>>
>>52850915
Bump for this
>>
Request:
Don't make a new one after this. Let it rest for a little bit, consider making it in a week or so.

There's only so much you can do with this stuff and allowing for a break gives people the chance to write stuff, make new flakes and provide content for the next thread, rather than having a (relatively) dead thread like this one.
>>
MTG newfriend here, how often do you do these threads and how long does this project usually last?
Asking because I'd like to participate one day, I'm a little into writefaggotry and character creation, I'd like to work on my skills and have some fun.
I only very recently got into MTG, mainly reading lore right now, but I'm considering to pick up the card game too if I can find anybody to play with.
>>
>>52854801
First one lasted two to three months.
Second one went on for half a year.

During the first one, it was an additional feature of occasional lore threads.
During the second one, there was a thread devoted to it on the board at all times.
>>
>>52851600
Discords kill everything.
>>
>>52854606
>Thread averages 100 posts per day
>Lots of new content and good discussion happened

I think that striking while the iron is hot is the way to keep things rolling.

>>52854801
As >>52855015 said, they last however long it takes for it to run out of steam. Everybody pitches in until it stagnates to death. If you're interested in lore, this is a thread for it. You can ask stuff here, and the development of characters that fit into the lore and canon leads to good discussions about what can be, what can't be, and what examples are out there. Writefagging is always welcome.
>>
>>52855613
There's also a number of us that believe that the second snowstorm persisted well past when it should have died and was worse for it.
>>
>>52855878
That includes me. But that doesn't mean that what I said isn't a general gauge of the lifespan of a storm. When everybody stops having anything new to say, it dies. This one's fresh and has a lot of potential yet, so it should persist actively.
>>
>>52854368
It's invite only.
>>
>>52856689
State steam name.
>>
>>52856717
calcium_strength

>>52855878
That was my first experience with this actually. I saw it but didn't have internet during the middle, and by the time I got internet it was in its dying throes that were... pretty bad.
>>
>>52856800
It was dying, but people wouldn't let go. Then there were flake fights in an attempt to create closure, and when that died down there were still stragglers who took a while to let go.
>>
>>52857077
And to be fair, the flake fight was entirely bogus because it devolved into a popularity contest between Gaia and Serena.
>>
>>52857137
Other than the occasional nonsense from the peanut gallery and the eventual crash at the end, some of it was okay.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.