[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: nebula-2.jpg (957KB, 1700x1168px) Image search: [Google]
nebula-2.jpg
957KB, 1700x1168px
What's a good rule of thumb for the amount of planets in a solar system?

Developing a hex map star chart for a space fantasy campaign I'm going to run, so I want to know how much I need to go into each system
>>
>>52807106
Dude, it's fantasy. Who cares? Put as many as you want/need.
>>
>>52807159
I detest this way of thinking. It's lazy in the bad way and does away with any internal consistency.

All I want is a good idea of how many planets there should be per system.
>>
>>52807159

This. Put in whatever number you need.

Seriously though, we used to think we had a pretty good model for planetary systems; numbers, types, what kind of planet where, what types to expect, etc. Then we started detecting exoplanets and all our pretty little theories went right down the shitter. Just when we think we've got a handle on the problem, something even odder shows up. The whole science is in turmoil and the scientists are loving it.

Case in point: Two months ago they released the data from the Trappist system. There are SEVEN roughly Earth-sized planets orbiting that star and all of them are closer to their star than Mercury is to Sol.

Put however many planets you need and whatever kinds of planets you need. It's so wacky out there you may just be right!
>>
>>52807374
Man do you understand that it completely depend on the kind of setting you want to make and that without further informations we can do nothing more than tell you : "Do whatever the fuck you want" ?
>>
Number of Planets in Solar System

Roll 1D12:

1-2 - Roll D4
3-4 - Roll D6
5-6 - Roll D8
7-9 - Roll D10
10-11 - Roll D12
12 - Roll D20

If you have all the dice needed.
Or you could use tables from other games.
And you could have modifiers based of the type of system or sun type.
>>
>>52807374
That isn't true in the slightest. Internal consistency is fine and dandy. It's more trying to encourage you to stop worrying so goddamn much about rules and plausibility and just do the thing already. Realism doesn't matter, it's all made up. People only start to care once the fantasy starts to contradict itself without a good reason.
>>
Number of Solar Systems in Space Hex

Roll 1D12:

1-2 - Empty Hex (no stars)
3-4 - Sparse Population (1 star)
5-6 - Standard Population (1D6 stars)
7-9 - Dense Population (2D6 stars)
10 - Very Dense Population (3D6 stars)
11 - Star Cluster (4D6 stars)
12 - Super Cluster (5D6 stars)
>>
>>52807483
>>52807593
I already have atleast one point of interest per system. I just want to know a good idea of what can work if my players ask about other planets in a system.

>>52807541
Thank you. This can do nicely.
>>
>>52807710
You're Welcome.

I'm a random table kind of guy.
>>
I suppose this thread can be used for anything related to space fantasy now.
>>
>>52807106
Just pretend the solar system is average, and go from there. Put in between 6 and 12 major planets, more if the star is larger and brighter. The majority of these planets should be uninhabitable, but of course it's accepted (sometimes even expected) to do something neat with the habitable and therefore interesting part of your solar system. Things like an earth-like planet where the moon is also habitable, possibly because it's so close that the atmospheres get shared a little, and similar.

>>52807448
Exoplanets mostly fit pretty well into our models though, since the only exoplanets we detect are fuckhuge almost-brown dwarfs and the like. Obviously if anon is going for a habitable system, he can safely use the solar system as an example, not some weird trinary system where tidal forces have disrupted everything.

>>52807483
It doesn't completely depend on that at all. He's going for verisimilitude.
>>
File: 3d-atom-3240479.jpg (18KB, 400x318px) Image search: [Google]
3d-atom-3240479.jpg
18KB, 400x318px
>>52807106
Any number you want, just don't have planets only.

Rings of air and water can be around the Sun too. The latter is hollow, the Moon is a geode.

The orbits can be excentric. My fantasy star system resembles a hydrogen atom.

Hell isn't made of Circles, but is a nine-layered world with a small sun in the middle. The Red Shining Star, bringing a corrupted crimson light where a normal star would bathe all with life-energy.

Also check this:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/weirdastronomy.php
>>
File: Niven Cloud.jpg (62KB, 1024x688px) Image search: [Google]
Niven Cloud.jpg
62KB, 1024x688px
>>52808910
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prana
>In Hindu philosophy including yoga, Indian medicine, and martial arts, prana (प्राण, prāṇa; the Sanskrit word for "life force" or "vital principle") is all cosmic energy, permeating the Universe on all levels. Prana is often referred to as the "life force" or "life energy". It also includes energies present in inanimate objects. In the literature, prana is sometimes described as originating from the Sun and connecting the elements of the Universe.
Just as in real life, light is life and life is energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahu
>In Hindu tradition, Rahu is the severed head of an asura called Svarbhānu. In Vedic astronomy, Rahu is considered to be a rogue planet.
A rogue planet outside the planetary system can literally be the rogue god which brings chaos as its gravity troubles all of its brothers.
>>
File: zu6dcbmbmcvbchy8tokn.jpg (49KB, 793x540px) Image search: [Google]
zu6dcbmbmcvbchy8tokn.jpg
49KB, 793x540px
>>52809025
Do you wish something upon a comet?
It might have the power to grant your desire. Celestial Dragons are mighty servants of the gods.

I think you caught the idea by now.
>>
>>52808910
the old popular image of a hydrogen atom is just one star and one planet in a circular orbit around it

now if you mean the newer image of a hydrogen atom where the planet can't be pinned down and doesn't actually orbit, that's more interesting
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.