[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me finish the starting area

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3465.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3465.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I made the first half of the starting zone for my next 5e campaign. After that I couldn't come up with any good content or encounters for the other half. And most importantly I don't know what the main story for this game will be. I'm starting small.

So id like to hear some interesting suggestions to throw in. I'll post what I had planned for what I already got, but please keep in mind I'm not married to any of these ideas and will happily replace them with something better.

But ide like to focus on a story that progresses in the background when the players inevitably stray away from it. And then the main conflict or antagonist eventually affects the players and the world around them. I got a tip about making a story that I liked. "picture the end of your story first and then find a interesting way to get to that conclusion." And I wanna use this method.
>>
>>52805916
>picture the end of your story first and then find a interesting way to get to that conclusion

bad advice for RPGs. If you start with a conclusion you will invariably steer towards that conclusion. the fun of a collaborative storytelling medium is that the conclusion isn't certain.

You have no clue what your players will do.
>>
File: IMG_3351.jpg (67KB, 613x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3351.jpg
67KB, 613x640px
But first Information from the players...

>dark skinned human barbarian of the uthgardt tribe. Was abandoned as a infant and adopted into the tribe soon after. Worked as a blacksmith and warrior for the tribe. Got exiled a while ago for reasons he won't go into. Over time will realize that he really just wants a family of his own.

>tiefling conman that tried ripping off a archdevil in disguise and was forced to do his bidding in exchange for not killing him on the spot. But he got warlock powers from it and he's testing their extent. Hired the barbarian as a bodyguard.

>goblin that retreated into the woods after his hunting parting got slaughtered by novice adventurers. Decided to commune with nature instead of returning to his squalid goblin life. Now he's a Druid and joined the party in hopes of getting revenge on those adventurers.

>Former human peasant dies in a massive attack on his village by evil dudes for evil reasons. A kind wizard finds the ruins and corpses, try's to resurrect every villager, only managed to resurect one soul along with fragments of all the other souls, body randomly reincarnated in the form of a black dragonborn. The reborn man vowes to avenge his people, spends the next year with the wizard adapting to his new body and training with weapons and armor. Takes up the title of paladin and sets out to find allies for his cause. Can't remember his previous life & hears occasional whispers in his head.

Sorry about the photo being sideways. On my phone doing this.
>>
>>52805981
Valid point . But what do you suggest in place of that guideline?
>>
>>52805981
what this anon said, its kinda hard to plan for your players actions, if you and your players didnt already decide what kind of campaign you want to play in session 0 it might be good to throw a bunch of plot hooks and see which ones they want to follow, instead of trying to push a main plot right off the bat
>>
>>52805981
I just write a story, lay down the foreshadowing and hooks. I've never had a problem with players not wanting to participate in my stories.

My rule of thumb is if the story is good enough it'll just fall into place. If your players want to do everything but engage with your story, it's probably because your story is shit.
>>
>>52806039
I'll keep that in mind . Thanks
>>
File: IMG_1630.jpg (187KB, 341x405px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1630.jpg
187KB, 341x405px
>>52806048
Trying to come up with one. Having trouble finding a type of main antogonist that hasn't been used before. Like how dragons,vampires,gods have been fine to death.

All jokes aside I keep thinking about making it hyper advanced, reptilian shapeshifters. At least I haven't heard about it being used yet.
>>
File: IMG_3466.jpg (35KB, 648x468px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3466.jpg
35KB, 648x468px
Op still here, I finally came up with a outline for a main story. Please tell me what you would change if anyone is still here.

>generic faerun type fantasy world.
>one day a small and strange red star appears in the sky.
>maybe only astronomers and wizards take notice at first.
>shortly after its appearance, the star fires several glowing projectiles that plummet to all corners of the world.
>the general population quickly catches on, minor hysteria happens.
>many of the worlds kingdoms and civilizations naturally send for the "meteors" to be investigated.
>the projectiols appear like round, shifting masses of red radiating plasma, roughly 2 feet in diameter.
>they are appertly very dense judging by the smoking craters they leave behind.
>moments after their arrival, the plasma blobs do one of two things. Either they move to the nearest, unoccupied closed in space. Or they seek out the nearest human and aggressively try to force themselves in their bodies to completely take over their body.
>no form of magic or medicine can expell the parasite. There appears to be no mention of this phenomenon in any lore book historical records.
>the "star" never launches any more of the blobs aside from the initial amount. And as the days pass, it is revealed that is is actually approaching the planet ever so slowly.
>all the intelligent races scrabble to find answers, army's are raised, rumors of the end of the world run rampant.
>cut back to when the star first appeared. The players 1st lvl party arrives at entrance of the abandoned keep they had heard rumors of being infested with kobolds.
>right before they enter, one of the blobs smashes into the earth directly behind the party...

And that's all I got so far.
>>
>>52810337
Okay. So the party is a group of level 1s.

On what scale is the danger of these blobs? Are they village threatening? City threatening? Kingdom threatening? Or a world threat?

Are they sentient? Are they magical? Are they evil, good, or different from each other?
>>
>>52811176
they are sentient products of genetic engineering thats so advanced it might as well be magic to someone in the middle ages. Created by a offshoot humanity from a alternate but similar reality. in this reality, the humans make contact with evil,alien, incorporeal beings that ultimately lead the species to destroy their own planet for a undetermined reason. the star is the last surviving vessel for the species and its purpose it to colonize a suitable planet.

the blobs systematically body snatch any humanoid race until they can take control of a individual with political power. if that is not possible or practical, they find a suitable lair to hide in and construct a ever expanding organic stronghold for the ones who do make it into a body , the longer they're left unchecked the more dangerous these living forts become. potentially becoming one massive underground complex that connect with each other near the planets core.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.