[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dawn of War III Reviews have started rolling out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 34

File: DoW3 4.jpg (425KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DoW3 4.jpg
425KB, 1920x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjVT4tu6xXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Laht9uNWMI

The general consensus so far:
>Single-player is meh, coming off as more of an extended tutorial than a real campaign.
>That being said, the AI is pretty good and it sounds like the cinematics are also good
>The game feels like it was heavily inspired by the Blizzard RTSs
>The gameplay is fun and adrenaline-pumping
>Heroes are badass and provide lots of strategic opportunities
>However, the game has trouble balancing micro-managing your heroes with managing your army as a whole
>The three factions have distinct playstyles and are well-balanced against each other
>But it sounds like the game has a bunch of mechanics that it doesn't tell you about and can seem overly complex at times
>That being said, units work similarly to their tabletop counterparts, so if you know that, you should be fine
>Also, no retreat button is problematic

From the sound of things, it's looking like ZoranTheBear and ThunderPsyker were right; it's a good RTS, it's a good 40k game, but it's not a good Dawn of War game.
>>
>>52805846
>but it's not a good Dawn of War game.
I don't understand this.

What make a Dawn of War game? Considering every installment in the franchise has been radically different from each other, there's nothing tying them together in one cohesive "This is a Dawn of War game".
>>
>>52805846
>good RTS game
>good 40k game
>somehow not a good Dawn of War game

Explain this backwards reasoning.
>>
>>52805846
Sounds like a good time to me. I know the campaign in DoW1 was pretty much a tutorial too. Never any mission types other than "build up a base and destroy the other base".
>>
>>52805846
are marines skellyingtons now or something? whats with those proportions?
>>
File: 3057641-2.jpg (2MB, 6980x3924px) Image search: [Google]
3057641-2.jpg
2MB, 6980x3924px
>>52806011
That was due to the trailer's artstyle. The game's marines are more reasonably proportioned.
>>
>>52805899
>>52805972
ZoranTheBear and ThunderPsyker's First Impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCWQelkjBg

The part I was referring to starts at 39:50

>What make a Dawn of War game?
It's difficult to explain, but I'll do my best. The main things that set the Dawn of War games apart from other RTSs are the carnage and chaos. CoH did this as well. Things like sync-kills, cover getting knocked around, buildings getting destroyed, masses of dead bodies and scarred terrain everywhere. Watching a Dawn of War game should feel like watching an actual battlefield. The should look and feel gritty. This game looks and feels clean and tidy in comparison.

Also, the fact that the only game mode is MOBA-mode is concerning.
>>
>>52806219
>sync-kills
I'll give you that, but it wasn't in CoH like you imply.
>cover getting knocked around
Not in DoW1
>buildings getting destroyed
Not in DoW1
>masses of dead bodies and scarred terrain everywhere
In Dawn of War 3
>the only game mode is MOBA-mode
At launch, they plan to release more modes shortly after launch. It's still a pity, but they apparently wanted to focus on their MOBA mode.
>>
>>52806219
Word of God says that the reason there is currently only one game mode is because they want to get this one down pat, then expand out.
>>
File: 3057640-1.jpg (3MB, 6980x3924px) Image search: [Google]
3057640-1.jpg
3MB, 6980x3924px
>>52806284
>it wasn't in CoH like you imply.
That wasn't my intention. I was just pointing out that playing/watching CoH felt like watching an actual battlefield. DoW 1 and 2 felt the same way.

>In Dawn of War 3
Where?

>At launch, they plan to release more modes shortly after launch.
Sauce?

Again, this game looks and feels too neat and tidy for DoW. This is the most Dawn-of-War-esque screenshot I could find from this game. Compare it to the one I posted >>52806219 here.

And for the record, I'm not condemning this game or saying it looks awful just because of the style. I'm going to buy it and play it. I'm just saying it looks like there's something missing that keeps it from being a real DoW game for me.
>>
>>52805998
>Never any mission types other than "build up a base and destroy the other base".
To be fair, pretty much every RTS campaign did this at the time. Age of Mythology had like 30-odd missions in it's campaign and 95% of them were this.
>>
>>52805846
Here's another review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8D1DWkMK34
>>
>>52806429
Not digging the texture work. It looks too, shall we say, pristine. Like if everything got washed clean just before that.
>>
>>52806429
That fuckin chapter master
>>
>>52806429
He looks like he grabbed the hammer from smash brothers
>>
File: GuidedBotMatches.jpg (712KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GuidedBotMatches.jpg
712KB, 1920x1080px
>>52806679
It reminds me of Dota 2.
>>
>>52805899
One of my main problems is the lack of races. The very first Dawn of War had 4 and with Dark Crusade and Soulstorm we had even more added, and even Dawn of War 2 which I didn't like that much had like 6 races at launch I think? After I heard that this one was only going to have 3 races at launch and saw Gabriel doing backflips and shit I figured there was no way this game was going to be for me. Seeing the nice and clean screenshots is just another nail in the coffin for me.
>>
>>52807047
>Dawn of War 2 which I didn't like that much had like 6 races at launch I think?
It had 4 at launch, SM, Eldar, and Orkz. CSM were added in Chaos Rising and IG were added in Retribution. Tau and Necrons were also added after Retribution, but to Last Stand only.
>>
>>52807089
>SM, Eldar, and Orkz
'Nids too, I forgot to say.
>>
>>52807089
That's still more than three. And because of how the current vidya market is, you just know they're going to be charging 10-20 dollars just for other races later on just like Total Warhammer and likely won't be seeing any extra campaigns.
>>
>>52807151
There were more factions, but they had a fraction of the units that are in DoW3. From what I've seen, the factions in DoW3 have almost every unit from their respective codices other than named characters. I think Bikes are the only missing SM and Ork units.
>>
File: meganob.jpg (66KB, 500x621px) Image search: [Google]
meganob.jpg
66KB, 500x621px
I really wanna give DoW3 the time of day, but I just can't get past the Ork voices. They're not gruff and orky enough; they just sound ponce and weedy.
>>
>>52807207

their are sternguard in dawn of war 3?

are their vanguard vets?

where are the centurions?

or the vindicator?

where are the jetbikes, or the striking scorpions, or the warp spiders (a dawn of war STAPLE) or the fire dragons or the wave sepents or shadow weavers or war walkers or mega armored nobs or kommandos or flash gits or battlewagons or wartrakks or burnas or meks?

you get the point yet m8?
>>
>>52807648
Den ya need ta krump Boss Relik and become da new warboss, ya git!
>>
>>52807988
All there.
>>
>>52805846
as long as BLUD REHVENS are in it then it then it will be a great game xD
>>
>>52806571
Yeah, but they at least had interesting maps and unique models or terrain features. Most of the DoW campaign you'd be hard-pressed to tell from skirmish mode if not for the limited tech tree.
>>
>>52805998
Usually the campaign is a tutorial, although dawn of war I campaign allowed you to use special campaign only units in some missions which were imperial guard at the time. It also had an ok story, although my preference when going back is usually the expansion with the guard or the Dark Crusade.
>>
>>52806571
Fuck... I miss Age of Mythology. I need to track down my old copy of that game....
>>
>>52810449
The weird thing is they updated that game and give it a Chinese/Far East DLC on steam. I believe it wasn't very good though.
>>
>>52805846
Are strategy fans always so whiny?
>>
File: PROSTAGMA.jpg (2KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
PROSTAGMA.jpg
2KB, 64x64px
>>52810449
>>
>>52810496
>Chinese/Far East DLC
>not Aztec
>not Hindu
>not Japanese
>not Judeo/Christian
The hell are these people doing? Age of Empires 2 is still cranking out expansions but Mythologies isn't using the setting to the fullest.
>>
>>52811177
I dont know man thats why it did terrible.
>>
>>52806429
That rainbow is kinda random, lol it's like the devs knew they were going for colorful vomit.
>>
>>52810596
Its why their genre died
>>
>>52813451
>>52813544
Point made.
>>
File: 2ngZocA_zps031e1050.gif (2MB, 350x310px) Image search: [Google]
2ngZocA_zps031e1050.gif
2MB, 350x310px
Game looks like garbage, only one fucking MP Moba mode, and 3 god damn factions only is inexcusable. Seriously no god damn reason to justify that. Can't even use the "GRAPHICS UPDATE MEANS HAVING TO REWORK EVERYTHING FROM TEH GROUND UP" argument given that the graphics look like shit and are arguably worse than the previous games. All that on top of a horrendous art style that looks like a god damn starcraft ripoff. I'm alright with color being in the games, but holy fuck the artstyle makes it look like a cartoon. Total War Warhammer was colorful as fuck but still had a god tier art style so it worked. This game looks like fucking trash with it's bright colors and cartoon style.
>>
>>52810596
Oh my goodness yes.
>>
>>52813867
See
>>52807207
>>
File: latest.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>52810496
>>52811177
The Chinese faction itself is relatively well-done. Their playstyle is fairly unique and the expansion also covered some design flaws in the original game, like ensuring that every faction has access to healers of some kind. That being said, some of the chinese myth units are just bland retextures of other units, and their campaign is complete shit.

If you don't mind the retextures and don't play the campaign, they're good fun though.
>>
>>52807988
Oh god, they missed like 5 units from each codex, those cheap bastards. Especially when we recall that the original DoW and it's sequel had like a dozen units per faction at launch.
>>
>no death company for playing Blood Angels

Had no hope for the game anyways
>>
>>52815757
>Expecting anyone but Blood Ravens to get any attention
>From a Dawn of War game
I don't think even the BR's can think of a way to get a Death Company "gifted" to them.
>>
>>52815776
Fair point. They may be thieving bastards but there's an extent in which it becomes "too far."
>>
>>52806429
Get that bitch a Knight. BITCHES LOVE KNIGHTS!
>>
>>52815776
>>52815957
They did manage to be graciously gifted with Grey Knights though.
>>
>>52815982
what
>>
>>52815994
Dark Crusade on, you can use Grey Knights.
>>
>>52815994
And then there's that whole thing with Bjorn the Fell-Handed...
>>
File: waiting.png (380KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
waiting.png
380KB, 500x361px
>>52805846
Me? I'm just waiting for a Dawn of War game with Swooping Hawks in it.
>>
>>52816265
Heard Eternal Failsade has them.
>>
>>52816326
A Dawn of War game anon, not just a 40k game. What good are Swooping Hawks unless you can field triple digits of them?
>>
>>52816417
Fair enough.
>>
>>52805846
Wow, this game came out really, really quickly. They must've rushed it out to take advantage of the hype.
>>
Are armies customizable in DoW III? Because they made a point about giving you more YOUR DUDES mechanics/options when they first talked about DoW III.
>>
>>52816265
Atleast the Striking Scorpions are in. I've been asking for those in a warhammer game since Winter Assault.
>>
>>52806679
That's just due to that particular shot, which was something like the first shot they put out. A lot of the stuff wasn't properly put in at that point, with a good number of models just copy pasted in.
>>
>>52819173
>Wow, this game came out really, really quickly.
~11months after the reveal trailer, doesn't exactly feel rushed to me, most games reveal and release within a similar timeframe.
>>
>>52819467
Already 11 months?

Time passes too fast.
>>
All I want from DoW3 is mods. I want the race selection list to be scroll-worthy long, like it was in Soulstorm with a bunch of race mods.
>>
>>52807648

You haven't heard the regular Boy and Nobs then: they're the same
>>
>>52805846
YOU SEEM TO BE ON /TG/ NOT /V/
>>
>>52819994
This is a 40k containment board get over it.
>>
>>52806429
>knight with dule avenger cannons
>not a sword and cannon like in the teaser
BOO!!!
>>
>>52821444

They have one ingame. Seperate Elite.
>>
>>52805846
The game fucking sucks imo.
I am glad that they released an open beta so I could test it out and confirm my suspicions of it.

The elite mechanic is fucking retarded, matches are slow as fuck because you can't punish your opponent for making mistakes until like 30 minutes in to the match, and due to all of the bs abilities going on, half of the time you don't even fucking know what is going on.

DoW 2 is better than this, as is DoW 1. If you want tactical combat with smaller scale, go for the former, if you want big matches with tons of units, go for the later.
This abortion of the game mixes up the two in the worst possible ways.
Also, units die in microseconds which I absolutely fucking hate in RTS games.
>>
>>52823322
No its not, only 1 knight
>>
>>52819661
I just checked the My Games folder for the beta. It's got folders for workshop content, so integrated modding confirmed.
>>
>>52823679
This
Its less of an big army rts than dow 1
Its less of squad tatics than dow 2
It's lazy.
Dow 2 is in my top 5 video games, but I would have gladly took a Dow 1ish game, despite not being good at rts'. This is a lazy cash in on the moba genre.
Fuck man, I'm probably still gonna get it cause i'm a sucker for WH40K, but hell, I can't come up with a good point for it.
This is disappointing.
>>
>>52825880
it's not there in the beta but I'm certain there's a seperate Knight Paladin elite
>>
>>52825975
Nigger the pop cap is insane in DoW 3 it feels bigger army than one.

The game just needs more content although I like the army painter.
I don't really know how you can like DoW2 that much for it to be in the top five it was pretty mediocre.
>>
>>52810596
Strategy fans are dividedly soundly into two camps. The fake bastards that try to pretend DOTA is a strategy game, and those who remember the days of Westwood being the final arbiter in what makes a good strategy game.

Ever since EA killed westwood, GOOD strategy games became exceedingly rare, to a point where us RTS fans would often go half of a decade between releases of good RTS games. Meanwhile all of these companies everywhere are trying to make fake clones of Dota, while simultaneously marketting towards the true RTS fans who, and at the same time ignoring all of the core tennets of what makes a good rts GOOD

> Base building mandatory
> Simple resource system
> No army-cap
> Resources become scarce as battles go on
> Micro as well as Macro are vital for success
>>
>>52826698

You should give Planetary Annihilation a try. It fits your description.
>>
>>52826977
I played it for a bit. Shit's hilarious when you start spamming the everloving shit out of Unit Cannons.
>>
File: what the actual fuck.jpg (117KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
what the actual fuck.jpg
117KB, 900x600px
>Elites system is confusing and micromanaging them is awful
>THERE IS NO FUCKING RETREAT BUTTON
>Squads are squishy as fuck but still expensive, leading to a fucking slog of a game
>Eldar Mechanics largely a fucking mystery with no practice mode to figure them out
>Listening Posts are 200 req and don't actually increase output and provide basically no extra defense
>Upgrading a squad's weapons replaces all of them
>Voices are awful
>UI is one of the worst I've seen in years
>mfw all of this
>>
>>52805846
No Last Stand, the single player campaign doesn't look interesting, units seem less lore-conscious. It feels like a game made by people who thought DoW1 and DoW2 were cool and needed to be more like Starcraft, with little interest in the 40k game.

Way to much focus on cool multiplayer stuff which, to me, was the least interesting part.

I'm canceling my preorder and probably just play DoW1 and DoW2 again.
>>
>>52827062
The retreat button was shit and you know it.
>>
>>52827062
>>UI is one of the worst I've seen in years
It seems like they arbitrarily decided to swap it from the old ones.
>>
>>52827075

I have at least 200 hours in DoW1 and 300 in DoW2. So no, it's not shit.

Basing a game around the idea that you want to retain squads - reinforce/upgrade them specifically - and yet not giving a simple way to make a tactical decision to pull them out of combat? Yeah, it had pathing issues in 2, but it was still better than this shitshow.

It's also kind of a really unique gameplay mechanic for DoW? It's there with what defines it next to the capture/hold, req points, and the squad system.

>>52827108

There is so much large, unnecessary garbage. Why is this shit in the bottom left of my screen? Does it need to be that large? How is it possible to be that large, and yet still hugely unfucking readable? It's one of those games that make you realize you only notice a UI when it's either really bad or really good.
>>
>>52827148
>implying

Anon, trying to grow your e-peen on fucking /tg/ isn't going to work.
>>
>>52827148
It's not a unique feature at all dude. It was ported from Company of Heroes
>>
>>52827148
There was a retreat button in DoW1?
>>
>>52827244
Nope. It DID, however, have the unique Morale system.

>>52827062
>>52827148
Not this retard, btw
>>
File: Dewey.jpg (49KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Dewey.jpg
49KB, 480x270px
Well I wasn't expecting much and I'm still disappointed. I pretty much preached what I felt the game would be like when we started seeing the gameplay and after playing it, I was correct, shame I can't be right about lotto tickets,

Gameplay is throw units at units and hope for the best, in most cases blobs. Then your blob gets wiped by a hero ability or bombardment ability. Rinse and repeat. Some people are saying you just need to micro but micro is more or less non-existant unless it's a hero unit

A game boils down to a few skirmishes at the start over points, once the listening posts are built you can't attack them till later so everyone waits for their resources to pool and tier up, build units... 10 minutes pass and then people leave their base and so begins the elaborate spaghetti where no one wants to initiate the fight. Eventually someone moves their blob to the other and we get a lot of flashy effects, most units have abilities but you'll only ever get your hero's abilities off since the rest of your units are already dead.

If the blob that wins isn't to hurt it pushes on to the joke of a turret, then pounds the power gen and ends the match, congrats you've just wasted 30 mins.

Winning in this game seems hollow, especially with this game mode, last match all I did was build Dark Reapers and Wraithguard, pressed A and clicked on the part of the map I wanted them to go, I evaporated everything. Shield, turret and core, along with an enemy army. The game gives you nothing to fight over without having to dedicate a large amount of resources to take it, atleast in DoW2 you could harass req/power points with low cost units, have fights over points and such, this game mode just makes everyone bunker till someone gets bored and the snowball begins.

Game is a step back from DoW1, this feels like DoW1 came after it. Neo-Relic have fucked up.
>>
>>52827282

Checking out the credits for DoW1, DoW2, and Deserts of Kharak will give you an idea of who jumped ship and who's still on at Relic.

Spoiler alert: A lot of people in higher positions (Producers, audio) went off to make Homeworld: Deserts, and it's a good game. And DoW3 is a bad game.

Really makes you think.
>>
>>52827330
>who jumped ship and who's still on at Relic
Thanks for boiling it down for me. That's all I really needed to know.

No glorious cinematic - first sign that whoever is in charge is new.
>>
It feels more like a 40k mod for a Starcraft knock off more than a proper 40k game.
>>
>Have a nice force with tanks
>stroll to one point
>get fucking both the Knight AND Gaberial dropped on my head
>entire force is fucking wiped

I know its 40k but this is insane

DOW2s hero units were not this insane
>>
> Very little purpose to actually keeping your units alive and making good plays with micro
This game needs Veterancy for Units, so that when I outplay people in micromanagement, my units get stronger over time. Veterancy has been a staple of RTS titles for a very long time, especially in the command & conquer series.

But as it stands, it's complete bullshit that to reinforce my units, it costs exactly as much as a new unit. So there's very little purpose to actually outplaying people and keeping my dudes alive in the process.
>>
>>52827799
>But as it stands, it's complete bullshit that to reinforce my units, it costs exactly as much as a new unit. So there's very little purpose to actually outplaying people and keeping my dudes alive in the process.
I thought it was 25% less?

Of course, you often need to remove them from combat so long I'm not sure that 25% is worth it opposed to just making new ones to send in.
>>
File: ss+(2017-04-21+at+08.14.45).jpg (92KB, 785x465px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-04-21+at+08.14.45).jpg
92KB, 785x465px
>>52827842
Also just tried a match of mostly spamming scouts. Micro for them is fun if you can successfuly lead people with the blind grenades, and then set off a volley that leads them helpless. But the scouts themselves are entirely too fragile.

In fact every unit in this game feels too fragile. It feels like I spend so much time trying to outplay people and get a bigger blob, but a single orbital bombardment or hero unit is enough to fucking end everything in an instant and leave me reeling.

I'm calling it, the first couple of mods for this game(Since it evidently has full mod support) are ones that quadrouple the healthbars of everything so the game stops being rocket tag.
>>
>>52827917
Those scouts look pretty damn generic compared to the ones from earlier games. In fact they look like they're from XCOM.
>>
Right, I'm going to get lynched because my opinion is different, and called out for shit taste.

But I've been having a lot of fun with the game, and the only problem I've had with it is sound design, a lot of the weapons sound dinky.

Also I just fucking love the Assault Terminators, they feel so good.
>>
File: 1491361325331.gif (2MB, 372x302px) Image search: [Google]
1491361325331.gif
2MB, 372x302px
Wraithknight Taldeer fucking Knight Solaria when?
>>
>>52827799

>Very little purpose to actually keeping your units alive and making good plays with micro

I disagree with this, i disagree with this a lot. It's extremely important to keep your units alive, especially at the start of the game, if you lose your starting squads you pretty much lose the game unless your opponent is an idiot and just goes back to sitting in his base instead of stealing all your points.
>>
File: sweating.jpg (17KB, 240x312px) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
17KB, 240x312px
>>52827963
>>
>>52828031
>Putting the Bone in Wraithbone
>>
>>52807648
Ork voices have steadily been getting worse over time. They've forgotten the orks are gruff, heavy and brutish with room for some cunning.

I know the games origins are in England, but does every ork have to sound like from the streets of sussex?
>>
>>52827954
I liked playing space marines, the orks are meh and the eldar felt really fucking weak.
>>
>>52827954
There is nothing wrong with liking this game, I'm sure lots will enjoy it. I just don't enjoy it compared to Dawn of War 1 and 2.

I don't like normal RTS games, the only reason I played previous Dawn of War games is because they played a bit different, had strong single player and were full of 40k goodness. Number 3 seems to fail in those areas.
>>
>>52828320
It feels different than other RTS's to me. It still feels like a Dawn of War game, as vague as that definition is.

Also I dislike a lot of people saying the Single Player is shit when it's not even out yet, and we've learned that we can't trust reviewers on anything these days.

But yeah, hating the Power Core mode and the fact that it's the only mode at launch is a legit reason to dislike the game.
>>
>>52828363
>Also I dislike a lot of people saying the Single Player is shit when it's not even out yet, and we've learned that we can't trust reviewers on anything these days.

The single player is a single story in which you change factions every mission or two.

We don't know a lot else because they seem to have been hiding it from reviewers. That is enough to turn me off alone.

Mind you, I'm not saying "this game is 100% shit" I'm saying "I'm not going to pay $60 for this because everything I hear and see sounds bad."

I'll probably buy it for $20 or something a year or two from now after the have a few patches and we see more of it.
>>
>>52827954
I hated it at first, I admit.
But while playing with friends we've started to view it like a rts/moba hybrid(albeit with obvious mechanical flaws) and started figuring out tactics to to work together and win our 'lanes' aka the whole map.

In our last 3v3 I focused las cannons and assault marines, and targeted all masses of infantry in cover and vehicles in general. This lack of diversity kept me from engaging in big drawn out battles against the enemy team when they inevitable sent all their drop pods and elites to deal with my forced, who WOULD destroy any infantry and buildings if they wouldn't support them.
This enabled my two buddies to build an big army of diverse shit to take a chuck of ground at a time.
We one-two punched our way into their bases and won.

I wanted dow 2, or even 1. But I will deal with this and see where it goes. I think it can work if they smooth alot of shit, and actually advertise working together despite the bad rep that would come from saying the dreaded 'moba'.

>>52826597
Im a sucker for single player. And rpg squad turn based tactics is what I jerk off to. RTS rpg squad tactics with wh40k setting just worked so well for me(and i didn't know that existed). I loved every single mechanic of it. And co op at primarch level was fun as hell. I understand people not liking it as the multiplayer suffer obviously in ways dow 1 didn't. But such a game offered a much better PvE experience in my opinion.

Meh, after playing for a bit, i've come to like dow 3. Shame about what i've heard about the campaign. But fuck, o well. We shall see if others feel the same.

Also that pink shirt bullying bullshit was a stupid fucking move on the devs part. Sjw shit is getting really annoying to alot of folks nowadays. Go ahead and use politics to sell your shit. Don't whine when it turns people off your product. Just because people are shamed into not saying no to you, doesn't mean they will support you and your shit.
>>
>>52828435

Better than the garbage campaigns from DC and SS which were just skirmish games plus a couple of scripted maps.

Yeah you heard me.
>>
>>52828445

>pink shirt bullying bullshit

What's that? I hadn't heard about this
>>
File: tumblr_o2r8am1qLu1sjlavqo1_1280.jpg (117KB, 713x1183px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2r8am1qLu1sjlavqo1_1280.jpg
117KB, 713x1183px
>Tfw playing Eldar is making me feel like a Support Slut

I don't know how to feel about this.
>>
>>52828455
Get the fuck out

Soulstorm's campaign is awesome.

Ya stupid grot
>>
File: 1445212620464.jpg (77KB, 668x878px) Image search: [Google]
1445212620464.jpg
77KB, 668x878px
>>52828532
embrace it, follow your calling
>>
>>52828532
> Tfw it's nearly impossible to win 1v1s as Eldar
The more I play this game, the more I realize it's shit. As a high-diamond-Zerg player this game feels just totally and completely imbalanced.

The only viable way to even play is tactical marine spam as space marines, everything else is just useless. There's not enough content to form any viable strategies like building up forward bases(No turrets no point).

Even ultra-high level micro like I was used to in starcraft feels hollow. There's very little I can accomplish, as any time I try to micro a few things pretty hard, they just explode into giblets after only a few miliseconds of combat. It seems the only important thing to do in this game is to SPREAD YOUR DUDES OUT, since their natural state is to bunch up into a single spot where they all get eaten by AOE abilities instantly.
>>
>>52828503
The just got on the social justice in video games bandwagon. Took a photo with their 'devs', which happened to be mostly a bunch of females and a few of the guys who actually worked on the game all with pink shirts and advertised how their 'diverse' team was fighting bullying in video games.
All things considered, it had a kinda 'wtf are you doing this for, you make video games not preach personal politics' response from others on facebook. And they didn't take it further than that.
It hopefully won't affect the game too much. But the whole 'im a victim' thing in entertainment is getting pretty old at this point, so even though people are shamed into silence, they more an likely won't spend their money on such bullshit.

Like I said, probably nothing. But it's literally crying wolf to sell your shit. That can end badly for a product.
>>
>>52828688
Will the Eldar Farseer leader be an autistic girl like in Mass Effect?
>>
>>52828688
Perhaps I'm quick to defend the devs, but their publishers ARE Sega.

This is something I'd expect the publishers to mandate because it'll "boost sales" or some bullshit.
>>
File: 1456628757519.jpg (7KB, 140x184px) Image search: [Google]
1456628757519.jpg
7KB, 140x184px
>>52828445
>better PvE experience in my opinion
Understandable with the last stand and all the numerous campaigns that offered more PVE.
To me 2 was pretty stale after you had to fight a hero at the end of every fucking mission and the lack of strategy in general.
>>
>>52828688
Weren't there like, 6 girls to three times as many guys?

And wasn't it just about anti-bullying? Not anything really SJWish?
>>
>>52828742
That is what I think. And after it didn't get a good response, they kinda stopped. So let's hope for the best.
>>52828820
You are more than welcome to your opinion, I know alot of folks preferred dow 1 over 2. But I felt, wh40k worked best with 2.
>>
>>52828947
All this 'bullying in video games' was just something some feminist cooked up use themselves being women to sell their shit. So yes, it is the sjw narrative.
And pointing out how diverse your dev team is has no other connotation of how good your game will be nor how well you will combat 'bullying'. It's a cheap attempt at using political correctness to sell a product.

People care more about keeping females safe than males. This isn't a bad thing, but it is the clearest example of how fake this shit is.
>>
>>52828955
Personally, I feel the defining factor between whether you enjoy DoW 1 or DoW 2 more is what army you prefer. If you happen to prefer a blob army with just waves of units, you prefer DoW 1. If you like the small elite units, you prefer DoW 2. As an Imperial Guard player, I love DoW 1, whereas my friend who plays Space Marines loves DoW 2.
>>
>>52829002
I didn't even think it was for Video Games, just bullying in general. You got the pic of the FB post?
>>
>>52829096
Yes, and if you are correct I will agree that it is even less of a deal. My original point that sjw bullshit is really annoying nowadays which would cause their 'anti bully' message to be taken the wrong way, especially with them being a game company still stands.

My concern is that with this new moba/rts hybrid they have, such things will adversely affect the game. I can see myself learning to really like dow 3, but if it dies, than fuck me anyway.

>>52829088
This. Also I kinda bad at rts' so dow 2 worked for me.
>>
>>52829088
I enjoy all three.

W-what does that mean?
>>
>>52829360
That you play Eldar
>>
>>52829379
But I usually play Genestealer Cults and Skits on the tabletop
>>
>>52829379
kek
>>
>>52805846
>units work similarly to their tabletop counterparts, so if you know that, you should be fine
excuse me what
>>
>>52829486
Having played DoW3's beta, that's a load of shit. Hell, I won with a shitton of Deff Dreads once, and I know that shit won't work on the tabletop.
>>
File: 1492803858079.jpg (182KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492803858079.jpg
182KB, 1280x720px
>>52828532
It’s your destiny anon!
>>
>>52829514
Stop making me want to massage your ears, Macha.
>>
Team meta is already there. Orks just spam Boyz and SM just spam Plasma Tacticals. They win within 25 minutes. Melee is really fucking stupid this time around.
>>
>>52816265
I am pretty sure the Ultimate Apocalypse mod for Soulstorm has them.
>>
>>52806219
>It's difficult to explain, but I'll do my best. The main things that set the Dawn of War games apart from other RTSs are the carnage and chaos.

What defines DoW for me really is that it's based around territory control (and thus, playing aggressively) on the map for resources instead of gathering like in 99% of RTS.
>>
>>52806320
And they already confirmed more will come in time, but the MOBA mode as far as we know might be the only mode for ranked play.
>>
>>52830497
Ranked Play matters because why?
>>
>>52830503
For me it doesn't, but I just wanted to mention that for those who care.
>>
>>52830503
This has been bothering me. It feels like in their attempt to be "new and hip" they forgot what made the games good to begin with. They just seem focused on all the wrong things.
>>
>Thought being Eldar was fun here and there
>Suddenly realize that Eldar fucking suck in any situation that they're not given every advantage
>Have games that are loss after loss because I get screwed by resources and SM do everything I do but better in almost every way

God damnit.
>>
>>52813867
>>52823679
I saw these posts on /v/
>>
>>52830569
>play orks
>what the fuck this is so complicated how does scrap work
>regret not playing space marines and stomping everything.
>>
>>52830569
Well at least it aint Dawn of Elder this time around.
>>
So, Solaria's packing dual miniguns, but the only way to get that config on the TT is with a Renegade Knight. Could it be that, as DoW3 expands, she will go the way of the Avitus?
>>
>>52827954
>and the only problem I've had with it is sound design, a lot of the weapons sound dinky.

Do you have the audio quality set to low?
>>
>>52805846
>ThunderPsyker
It's weird to see a guy I've actually spoken to before and who is on my Skype contacts having some kind of internet notoriety.
>>
>>52828688
>All things considered, it had a kinda 'wtf are you doing this for, you make video games not preach personal politics' response from others on facebook.

Normally I'd say it's virtue signalling, but like >>52828742 said, this is most likely Sega's bullshit.
>>
>>52830608
>how does scrap work
>how does generating scrap through piles of guns, waaagh banners, and destroyed vehicles work
>how does right clicking a scrap pile to upgrade my unit work

Are you retarded?
>>
>>52830609
Maybe we're just playing them wrong
>>
>>52830631
Nah, dual miniguns is just a rarer variant of Knight.
>>
File: LEMMIE SMASH.png (760KB, 487x625px) Image search: [Google]
LEMMIE SMASH.png
760KB, 487x625px
>>52806429
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3z_RkeImLI

>>52806770
>>
>>52830974
kek
>>
File: Color Customization.jpg (141KB, 914x586px) Image search: [Google]
Color Customization.jpg
141KB, 914x586px
The fuck is this shitty army painter? What a shitty design to have no choice but to make weapons use the chosen primary color.

Also bothersome that Elite hero characters don't match your army's color scheme. Stuff like the Imperial Knight makes sense, but not so much when a Blood Raven is leading your Space Wolf army. Guess they got skins to sell...
>>
>>52831023

The named elites don't change color, the nameless ones do. So guys like the Venerable Dread, the Terminators, the Eldar Ranged Wraith Knight and the Imperial Paladin all change colors.

But Gabriel is still Gabriel Angelos, Blood Ravens chapter master in MP, not "Chapter Master".
>>
>>52831043
>In recognition of the assistance given during the events of Space Marine, the Blood Ravens receive a company of Ultramarines as a gift.
>>
>>52831023
>can't do quartered color schemes
>cant have different colored pauldrons
at least they used citadel paint colors which is kinda neat.
>>
>>52831043
the blood ravens stole your entire chapter.
>>
>>52831131
>>52831178

Robot Girlyman will be a little surprised when he returns to maccrage.
>>
>>52831165
That's Secondary Color. Blood Ravens need it, after all, though funny enough, even they're supposed to have black weapons.
>>
>>52831273
I meant one pauldron a different color than the other. many chapters have that kind of paint scheme.
>>
>>52805899
Maybe like Generals is a fucking rad as fuck game, but doesn't feel like a proper Command and Conquer game.
>>
>>52830689
Tell him that his DoW reviews are awesome and he needs to make moar already.
>>
>>52826698
>those who remember the days of Westwood being the final arbiter in what makes a good strategy game.
Westwood was never that. They were part of the Holy Trinity of RTS games, along with Ensemble and Blizzard, but they were never sole arbiters of good RTS.
>>
>>52831043
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it does prevent the problem that DoW 1 had, wherein every single Captain, Company Commander, Warboss, etc have the exact same look and loadout. It also means that they could add other named characters from the setting like Marneus Calgar, Eldrad, and Thraka.

On the other hand, it's really annoying not to be able to just bring a generic heroes for my custom armies.
>>
>>52828242
Yes?

Maybe go back to Warcraft if you want American orcs.
>>
>>52826698
Going by your logic CoH isn't a good RTS and we know that's a lie.
>>
Wak me when Eliphas shows up.
>>
>>52805846
So, did anyone else not get a key for this "open" beta?
>>
>>52825947
How much do you want to bet the first mods will be to fix Gorgutz' and Gabriel's voices?
>>
Give this game proper modes (victory points, base destruction), DoW 1-esque maps, more factions and it will be a solid game, hands down. The current mode is just garbage.
>>
>>52805846
Holy shit this looks even less like 40k than what the previews showed
>>
Has anyone else signed up for the open beta a while ago but no received a key yet?
>>
>>52830707
Actually it's fucking annoying to use. You can't order many units to take scrap you have to do it one by one and there is no auto take scrap button so I have to wait till my 20 boys take their shit one by one in completely mess battlefield looking for scrap like in point click game. It's annoying as fuck
>>
>>52832907
I didn't need to sign up for anything, steam just started installing it when I clicked the link in the DoW3 news section.
>>
>>52832907
Signed up on the 12th, still no key
>>
File: necronface2.jpg (8KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
necronface2.jpg
8KB, 229x220px
>>52832920

Also orks have stupid mechanics not promoting fightin'. They are all about fucking DEFENCE, they got easy turret spam, WAGH is defensive mechanic and promote forward bases. Scrap is usually easy to get from your base, you don't need to get it from enemy and mechanic is stupdi as fuck (train 20 boys and then manual clicfest to arm them)

Is anyone even play tested it? "Open beta" week before go its bullshit
>>
>>52832907
Yeah, the signup is useless, go to the steam store page
>>
>>52819994
Stop being a newfag and lurkmoar
>>
>A space marines chapter has a thousand soldiers
>Ten minutes into the game you already have more losses
>>
>>52827365
But the beta does start with a cinematic like the other two games, shit it plays every time i load the game. Have you not played it anon and are just talking out your ass.
>>
>>52832960
Go to the DoW3 page on steam, you can get the beta there.
>>
>>52832973
Someone doesnt know about literally building killa kans from the remains of my enemies.
>>
>>52831023

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't DoW 1 have fairly "realistically" proportioned marines?

These look all kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>52833238
Sus-an Membrane exists.
>>
>tfw using the beta as a glorified stress test to see if your comp can actually handle DoW3
>>
>>52832753
you can literally go to the store page and download the beta.
>>
>>52827075
The retreat button was the single most important mechanic to the balance of DoW 2. It was the reason why a single medium/large scale battle didn't decide your fate like it does in 3.
>>
>>52833488
DoW 1 had shit proportions. Helmets were too big and thighs were too small.

3 feels like the pauldrons were stretched too far apart.
2 had the best.
>>
>>52831023
I actually like the new army painter, I can choose every unit available in the game and actually see how it fits. The only thing that pissed me off was how the eldar units still keep their blue armour without it being painted.
>>
>>52827945
I had to click on the image to make sure it wasn't a 40k XCOM mod
>>
File: 1481632348103.jpg (38KB, 397x664px) Image search: [Google]
1481632348103.jpg
38KB, 397x664px
Game is alright. A lot better in 3v3 compared to 1v1 since most 1v1's just get decided in 5 minutes while 3v3 can commonly be some massive 40-50 minute long back and forth exterminatus. Elite units are fairly balanced in terms of defense (since you can take down all of them fairly easily, especially later on) but offense wise too many of them just take out whole chunks of your army with one ability, and theres even crazier ones that aren't in the beta.

Biggest issue that I can see is that a lot of the units are way too fragile for their cost. You pick up a few tac marine squads and they get wiped out instantly by macha or a weirdboy, and you're just left sitting there for 2-3 minutes. And thats just early game. It's like they have dow 2 resource rates, but sc2 lethality, it doesn't work until you hit like escalation 4.
>>
>>52834507
overall I def. feel like the game could be great down the line....kinda like how dow 2 was. But it needs a lot of work to be at that point. And I'm not sure it'll live that long unless they pump it full of army dlc/last stand stuff asap.
>>
>>52831956
Sussex is a well-to-do county you nonce, he's complaining that the voices aren't rough and tumble Cockney, not that they're English.
>>
>>52833635
Even if i weren't an ImpFist player i'd call your reasoning bullshit
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>52826020
>>52825880
It's in the launch trailer

https://youtu.be/G4bkRCL8ysk

1:20 mark, on the far right.

Also pic related
>>
>>52835583
Also shows a giant ranged Wraith-thing which I didn't see either.
>>
>>52831954
Same here, I would have preferred generic heroes for multiplayer, but now that you mention it, yeah it feels possible they will add other named characters as elite choices, not sure what to think about that
>>
>>52831939
With ensemble gone, the balance of powers was lost, and RTS died.
>>
>>52832973
>"Open beta" week before go its bullshit
It's just a demo.

I don't know why, but it's been a trend in video games for a while to label your free demo as a "beta" even when there's nothing beta about it.
>>
>>52837016
It's so if things change they can say it was due to beta testing. They can also say that xyz isn't a feature just a bug or whatever if it gets backlash.
>>
Guard when they'd be great with all the extra customization
>>
File: 1342330148605.gif (75KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1342330148605.gif
75KB, 1200x1200px
>people will actually spend $$$ on this instead of just pirating for singleplayer and custom battles
>>
>>52810596
It seems more the norm than not, especially on the internet.
>>
>>52810596
Tabletop 40k threads are ten times as whiny as this one.
>>
>>52810596
The average person is shit. The fanbase of every interest is largely composed of ignorant people who only have a shallow understanding of what they like.
>>
>>52827954
I had fun with it too, but it's definitely not like the first two.

Might get it somewhere after launch. Sounds like the campaign is kinda weak and I don't usually play a lot of multiplayer.
>>
>>52834530

I just want actual expansions, not "the dlc for this race"
>>
>>52834507
>>52834530
The multiplayer suffers from the fact that they are dumping 40k units in a somewhat starcraft like carnage setting; if that makes any sense.

In DoW 2 squad losses were a big fucking deal and getting outflanked really fucked you up, it's the same with DoW 3 but the req income and power income are just ridiculous and you can keep pumping out units. Perhaps I'm a sucker for the RTT genre that is DoW2/CoH and would have like an expansion on that or a wargame like system, but from the beta I really don't get this idea that unit preservation is all that important. It's a decent game, just not what I wanted out of a Dawn of War 2 follow up.
>>
>>52805846

It's basically Halo, the first one was god-tier and the rest were shit but you kept buying them hoping that the next one would come somewhere near the first.
>>
>>52837092
Guard never because the Blood Ravens took all their flashlights for their "lascannons"
>>
I loved dow2.
I hated the first time i played this.
The solution was to play only 1v1 or 2v2 (like coh2), because 3v3 (the first game i played was 3v3) is a fucking mess
>>
Making a friendly 3v3, who wants in?
>>
>>52838783

Okay, I understand your analogy here, but you can't seriously argue that Halo 2 wasn't a massive improvement over the first in multiplayer gameplay. Combat Evolved will always have the king title for being the first and getting it so right the first time, but Halo 2 refined everything good about 1.
>>
>>52838783

No, that's a terrible analogy. Almost every Halo game until Reach onwards was a balance tweak and some new content. Every Dawn of War has changed the core structure of the damn game. It's like someone made you a pretty alright pie, and when you asked for another, they made a pretty alright cake, and when you asked for either of those two, they made an apple crumble. They keep fussing about with new ideas instead of polishing and refining the old.
>>
>>52828668
>high diamond zerg
>can't even figure out that all basic infantry get slaughtered by Jain-zarr
Sounds about right.
>>
>>52840558
Exactly. Dawn of War is basically Mass Effect. With Mass Effect you can FEEL that some retard in management said, "this shit is popular, shoehorn those mechanics into our property!" with each subsequent game. RPG thing to cover based shooter to straight up shooter.

They're just fucking around trying to make something that sells instead of something that's good. And they're just dragging the Warhammer license around for marketing.
>>
where were you when /v/tg/ were BTFO by goty DoW3?
>>
>>52841176
>implying
>>
>>52841176
Shit is still shit anon, even if you give it a shiny medal.
>>
>>52807988
holy fuck kys you autistic prick.
>>
>>52840771
Somewhere and somehow some retard in financial management got the final say on butchering the progression made from DoW1 to DoW2 and make this follow up.

I would have been fine with this being anything other than DoW3 having played the beta now, the game feels solid but it isn't by any means a continuation of the previous games. The overtones present with the elites, art styles and play styles is too reminiscent of Starcraft. Units feel too spammy, veterancy and cover have been removed entirely and suppression is seriously gimped.
>>
No Nids in the base game, means no money from me. We are not the NPC race.

Not that I have a computer that can run it.
>>
>>52816265

Swooping Hawks are in this game you retard, they are in Elite choice
>>
game looks like crap, it's like they actually tried to make models look like their plastic counterpart
>>
>>52843259
>Faction retconned into being more like Zerg
>The ones getting their asses kicked by ORKS of all factions
>Mattering

Loling at your Hivemind

>>52847207
I'm pretty sure they did.
>>
Am I blind or is there no way to change or check keybindings in the beta?
>>
>>52847588

>relic game
>keybinds

Pick one
>>
>>52834507
In my experience the game seems... I think sluggish is the best way to put it. You do really need to think ahead in what you are doing.

Like, once a fight starts, there really isn't much you can do to influence it except burn your units abilities, then start on their replacements. There isn't really anything you can do to tweak the outcome of a fight once it starts. I could just be bad, mind.
>>
>>52832765
Goregutz particularly annoyed me. He sounds like an Ork nerd now. It sucks.
>>
>>52847730
I'm just trying to figure out why I had to manually click attack, then right click somewhere to attack move since wasd was panning my camera instead of doing commands when it was otherwise working fine.
>>
File: 1387688925907.jpg (14KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1387688925907.jpg
14KB, 225x224px
>go through the tutorials
>still no idea how to play beyond the basic controls
>start match as spess muhreens because that's all the tutorial covers
>capture two points
>building as fast as I can, have three tac squads and one scout squads
>venture into the middle of the map
>opponent already has two assault squads, a sniper squad, a scout squad and two tac squads
>no idea how he got so far ahead or how to catch up
>alt f4
wew lad that is not very fun
>>
>>52848396

You probably wasted resources on unecessary things like listening posts and power generators. I made the same mistake when i started playing.

I recommend you play 3v3 until you get a hang on things, no one cares about anything in 3v3 so you can just try things and see how they work.
>>
>>52810596
RTS fans are a demorahic that just recently reached maturity. They're all a bunch of kids and act accordingly.
>>
Finished a 8 hour session on the BETA, is that really ALL the units? Its pitiful, half the units you don't even need to build because they suck.

SM: Cap natural with servitor, then contested expansion while building 3 tacticals,1 in pod to disrupt enemy; make sure to get that listening post up. Build Barracks in contested expansion for free healing and reinforce. Deathwatch Hero Squad - make them flamers or anti-armor depending on enemy tech. ???. Win.

There isn't anyway to dislodge a SM defense line until tier 2 tech which the enemy can't get because they are playing with 33% less income. But the game still takes 30 min because fucking MOBA objective grinding.
---
Ork: 3 Boyz into enemy, support with Brainboy once available. Win this 1 early engagement then stick Boyz in enemy forcefield cover making them build assault units that you can out-value easily. Go Killa Kanz spam if they go armor heavy, infantry? Boyz are good enough.

Average and actually hard to use properly because A.I. pathfinding makes your group up REAL tight where you will be promptly destroyed by a special ability. Micro that - you solid.
---
Eldar: I have no idea didn't play them. Seem weak, but that's probably because I denied them any expansion every game. Flamer shreds them, so does the Deathwatch team.

No retreat button is annoying as fuck, so is the voice acting, and the 3 maps kinda suck overall. Supposedly there are more units that they didn't show with this Beta which I think is retarded. DoW I and II are solid for their time and their respective gameplay. This DoW... sucks no matter how badly you stomp an opponent it will always take at least 20 min if they're competent closer to 40 if they're same level as you, the Elite unit CD respawn just drags the game out, should just be a one and done call-in.

Also ingame UI is pretty bad with how it presents info. I can't tell at a glance which unit has a flamer and which has a plasma.
>>
played the beta a bit.
it's definetily a good rts, but only with a warhammer flavor, not a real dawn of war.
Units all feel very floaty and fights feel more like some big ooze all players are squeezing at the same time.

the rest is fine, UI is ok, voices are ok but could be somewhat better.
>>
>>52850826
>is that really ALL the units?

No. Something like only a third of the elites in the game are in the beta.
>>
>>52850826

>Finished a 8 hour session on the BETA, is that really ALL the units?

I swear people have said this about every dawn of war title at release. Especially Eldar players because >what do you mean it doesn't have all aspect warriors!?

But yes, other than some Elites not being in the beta that's all the "standard" units.
>>
File: 63129164.jpg (62KB, 431x582px) Image search: [Google]
63129164.jpg
62KB, 431x582px
>>52850979
>not a real dawn of war
>from a series in which both of the previous entries were vastly different in terms of game mechanics
>>
>>52851112
Its such a vanilla rts is fucking sad, the cool stuff is the VARIETY; instead they went lets build a rts, then make the 40k stuff correspond to the units close we can.

I was looking for Sternguard, Land Raiders, Centurions, Battlewagonz, Looted Tankz, Kommandos, etc. ANY KIND OF BIKE.
>>
Is it just my nostalgia or the characer voiceover is bad and the dialogue lines are the corniest in the series?

We won't have gems like Araghast dissing Blood Ravens, Tarkus being inspirational or Kyras's speech before the final mission, and this is the saddest thing about this game for me.
>>
>>52851545

The voice acting from units in-game sounds pretty underwhelming for the most part, but it's impossible to say how the dialogue will be in the campaign, although from the voice actors video they released it sounds ok.

But i doubt it's going to be on the level of DoW 2, remember there's that VA strike going.
>>
>>52851633
Dialogues and VA in the first mission are bad, and while this is obviously not the whole game, judging from everything I know about it things are not looking like they are going to improve.
>>
>>52851545
>>52851633
>>52851664

The voice acting change might be the result of the VA strike.
>>
>>52851545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fw99_ZTbvE
The best VA of DoW2
>>
>>52851682
I'm pretty sure the VAs have been cast by the time the game was announced. Has this strike been going on for that long?
>>
>>52851809

>The 2016-17 video game voice actor strike is an ongoing strike started on October 21, 2016, by the Screen Actors Guild‐American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) union against 11 American video game developers and publishers over failed contract renegotiation terms that had been in discussion since February 2015.

All Relic has said iirc is that they went for british actors because WH is british, and that they tried to get what'shisface the voice actor for Gabriel but he was busy with another job.
>>
Really, they should've just made and released 'Dawn of War 1: Remastered'. Same gameplay, some new units, and a graphical overhaul.

Would've taken less effort and probably made more profit.
>>
>>52851829
And yet they somehow got Brian Dobson (vanila DoW2 Gabe) for the generic unit voices.
>>
>>52851889
>Same gameplay, some new units, and a graphical overhaul.

Same plot twist too.
>>
>>52851915
And that affects Paul Dobson how?
>>
>>52805846
I'll look it up when they add some more factions..
>>
>>52851201
Kommandos are in as elites. And Deffcopters are Jetbikes by 40k unit classification.

Still, it would be nice to have more stuff. But lets be honest, even if they had all the codex stuff in, we would just bitch on how they didn't include all the forgeworld stuff in.
>>
>>52852293
It doesn't, it's to the part about getting new VAs because WH is brtish. Because it's obviously bullshit.
>>
>>52830609
Weren't Eldar considered UP in DoW I until someone figured out how to play them? I remember there being whining from Eldarfags about how their precious spess elves sucked. And then promptly whining even further because it took them more than five minutes to win every skirmish.
>>
>Eldar (Elves)
>Pony color scheme
>Winning

It's fun going all "Come at me, Imperials!" though I guess I'm kinda abusing the fact most people in the game are really clueless.

>>52850826
>Flamer shreds them, so does the Deathwatch team.

Never had an issue with Deathwatch.
Whirlwinds, now those are the devil.
Most Eldar ranged units set up and thus have a de-setup time as well. Add in being squishy and any Eldar infantry mob exists solely due to enemy's incompetence. The artillery strike turns anything into unusable hodge-podge of shield-less, 1-2 men squads.

Also, the fact the only real detector is a worker unit which is usually not brought to the field also helps all artillery and snipers a fuck-ton. Their range is pretty grand and almost no one kills the forward placed scouts/rangers.
>>
File: Rise_of_the_primarch.png (385KB, 515x575px) Image search: [Google]
Rise_of_the_primarch.png
385KB, 515x575px
>>52806284
>sync-kills
That was kinda neat
>cover getting knocked around
I remember buildings like IG bunkers in the old soulstorm and that necron one showing wear and tear, as well as bassalisk craters creating the Uneven ground/light cover effect. Is that in the new game?
>buildings getting destroyed
See above...
Yeah i liked the little stuff like that in soulstorm and CoH
>the only game mode is MOBA-mode
Really? Nothing sector control based? Just deathmatch with bases? No point based skill kills game mode?
>At launch, they plan to release more modes shortly after launch. It's still a pity, but they apparently wanted to focus on their MOBA mode.
So free dlc/patchea or am i paying again for what should be base game?
>>
>>52852736
>I remember buildings like IG bunkers in the old soulstorm and that necron one showing wear and tear
No.
>as well as bassalisk craters creating the Uneven ground/light cover effect
They didn't. Being hit by artillery would slow your unit if it wasn't knocked the fuck around by the blast, but that was uniform for all artillery. The craters were cosmetic and potentially short-lived if you turned off persistent scarring.

>>buildings getting destroyed
>See above...
In DoW1 all buildings that were not campaign-exclusive simply exploded when destroyed. Said campaign-exclusive buildings played a shitty collapse animation before fading out, but they were mostly just doors and shit.

t. regular DoW1 player
>>
>>52807988
Single Wulfen will also almost kill a Imperial Knight.
>>
>>52852833
Is this an actual thing or just a meme? Can a single wulfen model actually go toe-to-toe with a Knight and almost win?
>>
>>52852833
For real?
>>
>>52852915

Nothing can stop the fucking furries
>>
>>52852915
No.
D >> Woof
>>
Do you think they will also add forge world factions?
>>
>>52853320
>forge world factions
>when not even all of the poster boys are present
>>
Is Solaria a Renegade Knight?
She is using 2 gatlings (Renegade only), she have chaos star in her house heraldry, also she have head of hydra on her left pauldron.
Her second skin is chaos as fuck.
>>
The terminator elite dude has the stupid spin jump, it hurts to look at.
>>
>>52853828
Terminator elites are fantastically satisfying to use. They chunk absolutely everything.
>>
>>52853779
Technically Knight Crusaders use two ranged weaoons, and I believe loadouts are somewhat customizable with Knights.

>>52853828
Gabriel Angelos does not wear Terminator Armor, but rather pre-Heresy pattern Dreadnaught Minoris armod gifted to the Blood Ravens by Forge World Goto.
>>
>first time fighting an actually competent Ork player
>completely shuts us out of the early game with a well placed
>once they take the middle three points so they can out-econ us they just turtle for half an hour until they have a massive unstoppable blob+LoWs
Welp. Do whirlwinds not have a default attack? Their flak barrage is too unreliable.
Also deathstorm pods are great, but they take too goddamn long to build/cooldown.

>>52853871
He meant Gabe, but yeah, Asstermies are great.
Is it just me, though, or do higher-cost elites level up faster than lower ones? I'm running deathwatch/assterms/solaria; the killteam gains barely any xp despite being around for most of the game, and the knight gains huge chunks despite only being around for the final push.
>>
>>52853917
I think it's based on kills, and the early elites tend to get a lot less whilst the later ones are there to slam murderous damage into enemy armies.
>>
>>52852824
>>>52852736 (You)
>>I remember buildings like IG bunkers in the old soulstorm and that necron one showing wear and tear
>No.
>>as well as bassalisk craters creating the Uneven ground/light cover effect
>They didn't. Being hit by artillery would slow your unit if it wasn't knocked the fuck around by the blast, but that was uniform for all artillery. The craters were cosmetic and potentially short-lived if you turned off persistent scarring.
>>>buildings getting destroyed
>>See above...
>In DoW1 all buildings that were not campaign-exclusive simply exploded when destroyed. Said campaign-exclusive buildings played a shitty collapse animation before fading out, but they were mostly just doors and shit.
>t. regular DoW1 player

Okay i know what it was, i remember playing the Ultimate apocalypse mod for soulstorm. Thats what added all the burning shit and crater physics and stuff. Also i always played with max model stay so craters, blood and shit hung around. It was a great way of seeing the carnage. I also remember that buildings would catch fire and shit the more damaged they were, along with the health bar going down. Tanks smoke, building burn, the entire thing was one happy gory battle field. If anyone played on lowest graphics so none of the model,characteristics show up i feel bad for you son, because you missed a lot of small beautiful details.

To this day dark crusade and soulstorm are my favorites for dawn of war, after playing all but the newest, including einter assault which i thought was kinda rough around the edges.
>>
Is Macha useless? She seems pretty weak compared to other heroes.
>>
>>52854104
She's really good but you need to familiarize yourself with how the abilities work otherwise you'll get a squishy ranged unit with lackluster melee abilities.
>>
>Shift+number on units don't add them to the corresponding control group
>Need to select all units you want, then crtl+number them all at once

This tiny control issue completely fucks the game for me. I guess they just want people to click on everything and rally units?
>>
>>52855008
>Shift+num adds to control group

Hold up, are you saying older relic games did this? I have no memory of this.
>>
File: 48240929492042.jpg (153KB, 1902x1126px) Image search: [Google]
48240929492042.jpg
153KB, 1902x1126px
>>52831187

Girlyman is stealing ideas from the Iron warriors, I am pretty sure he is the primarch of the blood ravens.
>>
>>52855008
Forums, anon.
This is a trivial feature request you could implement with a stupid script, much less as the developer of the game.
>>
>>52855194
Blood Ravens primarch is Gabriel Angelos, just look at his size.
>>
Orbital Bombardment is way too strong, especially in comparison to Storm and Roks
>>
>>52855194
Wasn't the prevailing theory that the Blood Ravens were a Thousand Sons loyalist chapter?
>>
File: 7a2.jpg (418KB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
7a2.jpg
418KB, 3000x2400px
>>52805846
How do you like the game so far, guys?

Will you buy it?

btw. They really have to balance unit cost and resource generation. Feels really strange so far. Also unit health and dmg. Some elite units just slice through armies without taking a hit.
>>
>>52856636
So far, surprisingly fun. I was very on the fence at first, thought everything looked meh, but actually trying it is winning me over. Not sure i'm willing to go as far as pre-ordering, mind you, in case it turns to ashes as soon as I actually have it in my hands. By which I mean awfully supported mess.
>>
>>52856636
I love what they've done to the factions.

Eldar hit and run works (which is actually a first among RTS games) and they're finally not just a faction of "The best shooter unit, the best melee unit and some unimportant shit on top" like in DoW1 and 2.

Ork loot could use some refining (equipping a lot at once is bothersome) but is overall pretty darn fine and along with the new waagh towers, the orks work marvelously: spammy and orky.

Haven't played Space Marines and don't even plan to do so.

The super walkers are also nicely done but I think they'll mostly shine in campaign and against AI where the sort of epic units create all sorts of fun carnage.

The fact they only have 1 multiplayer mode and the whole unlocking of abilities/elites rubs me the wrong way but I was never into DoW1 multiplayer, anyway.
The other nitpick is the music. They have amazing music they refuse to use because reasons... I want to hear the Mad Max horde, not listen to a damn leitmotif 3 times per match and done.

Overall, I like it.
>>
>>52857289
The ork thing I definitely agree with. The scrap usage needs refining so that it's not a chore to get units upgraded. As for the multiplayer mode, as far as I know they're meant to be giving more than that pretty fast after release although i'm not sure if there's anything solid.
>>
>>52857326
I know about the coming modes but it's a bummer.
I'm not so sure about the MP side of things because I both like and dislike the three phase system (economy, not the tower and stuff) they've got going on here.
If they ever allow people to trigger it off, I have a feeling the MP community will just devote into 1v1 melee without it and set to some basic destruction game mode.

Multiplayer in any game, no matter how vast, devolves into 2-3 maps on a single mode.
It doesn't matter how many the game will end up having in the end (DoW1 had quite a few, IIRC).
>>
>>52853871

they look weird as fuck, they stand completely bolt upright like theyre wearing regular power armour, and their run animation looks like theyre wearing scout armour.
>>52853889
it doesnt explain why hes doing flips all around the battlefield or why his head is twice the size it should be, its like they made him the size of a regular SM and then just decided to upsize him without keeping things like his fucking head how they should be
>>
>>52827069
>less lore-conscious
>games already fuck with lore a lot

This, the fact that I'm being told a shit-ass looking mek is gorgutz and the fact that VA keeps getting worse are gutting my desire to buy. I KNOW dow1 and its expansions where ham made manifest but you can't deny that thrill you got from hearing an GI priest scream his lines, or that listening for a second to any given unit could lend so much character to them.

So voice acting and lore.. I'm still mad because that 2-hand thunder hammers are a fucking dow staple and that our CM is packing a godforsaken ORDO MALLUS WEAPON Nigga shoulden't even know shit like that exists.

Ork scrap mechanic triggers me, eldar shields trigger me. Why the hell are imperial knights working with space marines? I'd begin harping about the lack of necrons, nids and chaos..but two of those are trash nowdays and chaos..well I've been shitting on dow chaos ever since they brought eliphas back and left his entire gimmick to rot. Black legion cuck eliphas has nothing on dark apostle eliphas
>>
>>52810596
>dude lmao, why're you whining, it might be shit, but it's something, so eat up!
>>
Played the beta today, am not impressed, UI feels too CoH-y to me and I didn't like that game very much.

They gutted the team that brought us DoW2 and Space Marine who for all their controversial mechanics had godlike art direction and captured a spirit of 40k we'll never see again I'm afraid.

DoW is dead.
>>
So,do we know who the big baddies are?
>>
Why do people ignore me massing wraithguards?
Just now, I came back from a 3v3 match where the opposing team basically let me sit on the righthand corner of the map, build a proxy base there, and make a fucking army right at their doorstep.

Maybe I bullied them too hard with my Jain Zar (her passive traits that lets banshees be cloaked is god tier, allows for suberb ambushes) and made them scared to come near me.

Fuck, they didn't even put any major guards there against me, just a bunch of waagh towers and those silly ork cannons. All they did was fight the rest of my team at the other side of the map, so when I decided to march into their base and destroy their core with my wraith army, they couldn't do jack shit.
>>
>>52810596
We're very vocal because we care. RTS in our youth were basically a form of sandbox game. When playing against the AI, some of us would build great castles only to devastate them as soon as they were done, others would play out scenarios in their head and toy with the enemy until it got boring and delivered the coup de grace. Playing the campaign in old-school RTS basically gave you thousands of options how to do it: Play efficient or even abuse mechanics, play with a cineastic story in mind, beeline it to a single tactical target or flatten every single fortification there existed.
Online matches were a world of their own. Some would just hang with friends, fuck around and watch armies be slaughtered for an afternoon while others were free to tryhard and get to the top. And that's leaving out the glory days of warcraft 3 funmaps.

The beauty lay in the simplicity of things. We had a map (the sandbox) and our armies (our toysoldiers) and everything from that point onwards was fair game.
And this simplicity is being destroyed and whittled away at. Vidya devs either overthink and bloat the game with unnecessary details in order to become more realistic or they pull shit that just restricts gameplay to a single possible mechanic like MOBAs/ASSFAGGOTS.
DoW was a franchise that had carefully balanced a thin line between old school simplicity and new innovations. DoW3, as far as we can judge, fails that balance, and we all see another good thing die.
>>
>>52859165
Because the game doesn't promote skirmishes, there is nothing really to fight over unless you dedicate a lot of force behind it. People prefer to pool those resources into a big army for one push instead.

In the previous games you could harass with 1-2 units, now you need a small force to take a listening post, not including any counter attack. The game just makes most peoples turtle after the initial start and fight over the middle points.
>>
>>52859286
Yeah.
It is a shame. Honestly, it is a symptom of the retarded fact that in DOW 3, units are fucking expensive, but basically die in seconds, so you don't ever want to engage unless you know for sure that you can win.
>>
>>52859091
Yes, apparently a novel got leaked. Big possible spoilers within.

Acheron is a prison for a Greater Daemon, the Spear of Khaine is bait which e en the Eldar don't see coming, apparently Macha convinces Angelos and Gorgutz to work together just this once to kill the Daemon and shoot the fuck out of the world. Epilogue apparently has someone mad about the Daemon getting out and the other factions fucking up the prison in the first place. So Chaos and Necrons next expansion, probably.
>>
File: Anon.jpg (91KB, 540x425px) Image search: [Google]
Anon.jpg
91KB, 540x425px
>>52859206
>We're very vocal because we care...
>...as far as we can judge...

You've had too many dicks today, anon.
You speak in multiples as if you represented fuck all and structure bullshit responses as if anyone gave a fuck.

This is not reddit, you're not gonna get any upboats for your chest-beating faggotry.
>>
>>52859599
>next expansion
Are we even sure it's coming?
I mean they obviously plan for it, but do you really think the game is going to be successfull enough for them not to change their minds?
>>
>>52859599
Sounds like a really shitty rehash of DoW 1 plot.
>>
>>52859659
>You speak in multiples as if you represented fuck all
And you're somehow not talking for anyone but yourself?
>>
>>52859697
Would not be the first time that the hater are only the vocal minority.
>>
>>52859697
The game is getting good reviews, runs well and is an extremely well known setting.
For every loud idiot, there's a bunch of people who don't give a fuck and will enjoy the game.

Heck, the idiotic criticism wave of this game would have applied perfectly to the original game as well and guess what.
No one give a fuck aside from a few stuck up NEETs with too much time on their hands.
>>
>>52859790
>The game is getting good reviews
From Polygon and other shits of it's ilk?

What I'm seeing in this thread is a rather mixed reception.
>>
After the quality (despite setbacks) of total war warhammer, I'm kind of disappointed with DoW
>>
>>52810449
I've been wanting to replay the original for so long but for some reason I can't run the game since I updated to windows 8.1. Tried compatibility mode settings, run as admin, and any other troubleshooting google will supply. Can't play Steam's EE because it stutters every 3 seconds. Fuck my shit.
>>
File: Farseer_Macha-1.jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Farseer_Macha-1.jpg
79KB, 600x600px
Greetings, I am from the future. DoW3, while not entirely a success, will still garner two expansions. The first will continue the story behind vanilla DoW3, and add Necrons and Chaos.

Angelos will die in the first, but a returning Tarkus will take up his mantle as Chapter Master, with a Command Squad Elite.

Eliphas will also return, however he will play a more minor role as a Daemon Prince Elite, with a new Chaos Lord taking center stage.

Greater Daemons of Khorne and Tzeentch will be Elites.

Necrons will be led primarily through Trazyn the Infinite, who is setting out to contain the newly spawned Greater Daemons. Their Major Ability will be to temporarily summon a Monolith, as the unit itself is too bulky for some maps.

The second expansion will include IG, Tau, and Tyranids, and will not follow the storyline of DoW3 (However allusions will be made), as it follows a story more similar to one of the Ciaphas Cain books, with rocky relations between Tau and the Guard as Genestealers undermine both factions, however unlike the Cain book there will be more to their presence than Genestealers.

That being said, the IG have more backing this time around from other parts of the Imperium, with Skitarii, an AdMech Archmagos, a Grey Knight Squad, a Celestian Squad, and an Inquisitor being among their Elites. Also TANKS, the Baneblade and Stormlord will be Elites. COLONEL Merrick will also be there.

Tau will have more auxiliaries as Elites, and Shas'O Kais will return as an Elite. Get ready for Riptides and Mantas, too.

Tyranids will be underwhelming, with most of their Elites just being Alpha versions of units. Carnifex variants and Swarmlord will be Elites. They will outnumber Orks though, and field utterly atrocious numbers.
>>
>>52860101
Cap this so we could check the accuracy later.
>>
>>52860101
>COLONEL Merrick will also be there.
I want to believe
>>
>>52856636
>Will you buy it?
I already did. Either way, I'm curious as to how the campaign will look, and I'm glad modding is built-in from the start.
>>
>>52856636
I feel like that should be a Salamander
>>
What do you think about jumping Wraithknights? Also stupid like jumping terminators?
>>
>>52859697
It'll happen. I have a feeling they're already working on the expansions.
>>
>>52861341

Eldar are full of magical bullshit so I believe it
>>
>>52858863

>UI feels too CoH-y to me
>They gutted the team that brought us DoW2

are you clinically brain dead or something, their UIs were almost identical and played EXACTLY the fucking same. just one is ww2 and one is 40k
>>
>>52861341
Wraithknights literally have jump packs.

For Terminators there is no excuse.
>>
>>52860101
>Tau get Mantas
So everyone else gets their titans?

>Eliphas
>Demon Prince
As much as I like him, he fucked up every single time.

>Tyranids will be underwhelming, with most of their Elites just being Alpha versions of units.
Fuck you too future-anon.
>>
>>52848396
Sounds like you can't think enough for RTS.
>>
After playing a fair bit, the early game dynamic and betameta was pretty interesting actually, especially in 2v2 where you develop two distinct battles over the Req Point - Cover - Elite Point areas, one where you are defending the elite point and one where you are pressuring theirs.

Assume all 4 players don't suck it will be a stalemate and at that point you have several options. Snipers to pressure them from range, snipers to defend, assault units to claim the cover point back, heavy support units to actually win battles or sit back, rely on your rushed out tier 1 units and maybe a sniper team to defend and tech for vehicles then push when you can afford your second elite point.

Overall I think the lethality is a bit of a problem because it just stalls the game out, you can't push onto a listening post unless you have somehow eeked out a HUGE advantage, things will die in 0.5 seconds if you look away and units can shoot from across the screen or out of line of sight, or an enemy can just summon a super powerful unit on top of you in an instant.

Losing even a single unit is HUGE especially if it's been upgraded, it does turn into a war of attrition which is fine and even somewhat interesting with the micro - the problem is that everything is just SO deadly. It makes it frustrating to lose or unsatisfying to win because usually it's not because you can be deleted so fast and out of nowhere. Is it as annoying as getting 6 pooled or DT rushed in SC? Yes but in SC you can plan for it and play around it, you can't do that in DOW III you just have to clench your fucking buttcheeks and hope for the best.

It's fun but the lethality of everything needs to be toned down. It will be very hard to balance it so that small skirmishes the units can actually damage each other and still have large battles not be so huge.

The other main problem is that everythign is so sluggish. I have high ping but everything is so unresponsive.
>>
>>52861526
Saying CoH and DoW2 UI are the same is like saying Starcraft and DoW UI are the same. There's a core concept for all RTS and the devil lies in the detail.

Cunt.
>>
>>52864806
Not him but they're practically the same game. One has more lasers and shuriken guns.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.