[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 57

File: GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
>what's the deal with swing damage?

>How much striking strength is TOO MUCH striking strength?

>Most unweildy enemy you ever threw at the players?
>>
>>52795686
Sad day; real life means Grimwyrd ain't happening this weekend.

On the upside, making mead instead!
>>
>>52795686
>>Most unweildy enemy you ever threw at the players?

...Well I'm trying to figure out how to stat a planet/alternate dimension....

Though i may just go with a city/region instead
>>
>>52795973
Do you mean stating them with City Stats, or as a character?
>>
File: C9mZIgfXcAAVGGX.jpg (239KB, 844x1199px) Image search: [Google]
C9mZIgfXcAAVGGX.jpg
239KB, 844x1199px
>>52795686
>Striking ST

When allowed I try to keep it within 20% of base ST. In general I don't allow it, it's an exotic advantage for a reason.

>Unwieldy

Gang of After the End bandits in a open topped car with weird mutant powers and crossbows. It was a headache to track reload, mutant powers, the car, damage, and everything else all at once.
>>
>>52795988

As a character, gotta take on the world, litterally
>>
>>52795686

I had a player with a pneumatic fist that had it at 30% of his base strength and it became a question of "What do I have to punch through to get to the objective."
>>
File: Capture.png (319KB, 589x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
319KB, 589x1117px
>>52796507
If you just want the planet itself, that would have ST 0, IQ 0, DX 0, No Manipulators, SM +40 or so, a few billion HP, a few million DR, Injury Tolerance (Homogeneous), Doesn't Eat/Breathe/Sleep, and Unaging. Pic related.

A city, region, or nation could be a character with Injury Tolerance (Swarm), thousands or millions of HP, and SM in the 20s.
>>
Yesterday I found out about GURPSDay on https://gamingballistic.com/
I didn't know there are so many blogs! But is their content good enough? Can its quality be compared to the official GURPS stuff? Which blogs are the best/which ones do you read? Are they useful to you?
>>
What D&D 5e level would a Dungeon Fantasy character be?
>>
>>52798400
6-8 I'd say, that's going by when the fightin' classes get their second attacks and seeing as DF characters can pay for a 2nd attack no problem.
>>
File: 1362632446677.jpg (296KB, 1430x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1362632446677.jpg
296KB, 1430x1300px
>>52798400
They don't really translate. A Dungeon Fantasy starting character can reasonably fight just about anything, though not with success. They won't be utterly, hopelessly outclassed like a level 1 D&D character fighting anything but level 1-2 threats.

You can reasonably simulate all the things a level 5 D&D character can do, though not perfectly, with a starting DF character.
>>
>>52797390
What book is this from? Powers?
>>
File: 1490521054670.jpg (990KB, 1245x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1490521054670.jpg
990KB, 1245x2000px
Link to the previous thread: >>52708161

>>52793428
>What was wrong?
Not sure really, might just be people flaking. There were a few complaints about the GM taking a bit too long to type things out (hence why one or two of the other players were pushing for voice), but I can't much empathise with that.
>>
Will today's Pyramid be boring and useless again?
>>
Help me GURPSGEN!

My friends want a dark fantasy/low fantasy game with few cinematic rules. One wants to play an archer/hunter and another has expressed interest in being a low fantasy mage.

My questions are..

Should I go with TL 3 or 4?

175/-40 points is okay right?

Big question, what sort of magic system should I go for something where magic isn't too powerful? A big part of the low fantasy feeling is the idea that if magic wasn't around the world would be very much like it is anyway, so I want mild rather then extra strong here.
>>
>>52801277
>Should I go with TL 3 or 4?
Come on, man, TL1 is where it's at.

But seriously, I ran a TL1 campaign with low magic and dark fantasy by player request, and what I did with magic is keep it mostly out of player hands and entirely out of combat. I did have a player that had a magic-using character, but he was more like a shaman or wise man, and the spells were stuff like limited clairvoyance or other information spells (find water, identity poison, etc.), illusions, psychological warfare, animal manupulation and additionally magic phenomena were naturally occurring in the world so he focused on naturally manipulating magic through arcane means and strange rituals. For combat, he acted more like a mix of alchemist and batman, by preparing buffs, traps, having a plan and bending the environment (for example, luring the enemy into a swamp where the dead rise (naturally) and hiding the party from the zombies so they could exhaust the enemy).

I didn't use any of the GURPS systems for the magic, since every major use of magic was basically a mini-quest for the party so every time it was mostly custom.

Sadly that campaign died because the players realized they didn't want to play that type of campaign after all. Now we're playing a modern campaign.

I'm looking to run it again with a different group as soon as I have time (and find a group).

I did 200/-60 for that campaign but I put harsh caps on attributes and skills. Still it was too much, when I do it again: 150/-30.
>>
>>52801277
Aside from this >>52801558, you should take a look at how the Black Company handled its mages (One Eye and Goblin, not the Lady).

That was one of my inspirations for that campaign.
>>
>>52801277
>Should I go with TL 3 or 4?
Whatever you want. Typical fantasy usually uses TL3 world with TL4 metalwork and no firearms.
>magic system
Disclaimer: I don't have much experience with either magic system
RPM with low level Magery is pretty weak, and without Ritual Adept you are pretty much forced to only use charms and conditional rituals. Removing normal spellcasting entirely means there are only trinkets and potions around. Also, basic assumption is that anyone can try to learn magic if they have teacher and/or books. That said RPM can be just frustrating at this power level because you have to squeeze your spells in limited budget.
Sorcery or just powers-as-magic works for magic gifted by otherworldly beings or as inborn talent, thus available only to some people. Sorcery naturally forces you to have very narrow focus, so you won't become universal puzzle solver without huge point investment.
Regardless of system, you just need to limit its power level, perhaps enforce social issues for obvious magic users and maybe introduce corruption mechanic.
>>
>>52801277
Both TLs are fine; if you go with TL4, you can still disallow firearms if you feel they mess with the tone too much. That lets you keep high-quality steel and sexy plate.

Point value looks spot-on.

Lots of options here. RPM is a solid start; the system already emphasizes subtle magic via Greater/Lesser effects, and coupling that with low point values and banning Adept keeps the magic slow and low-key. Symbol magic can also be very flavorful, and disallowing tracing and rune chits keeps things very very slow; its up to you to keep the power level down, though, so be cautious when deciding on a lexicon. Lastly, I'm a fan of all magic being workings of spirits, angels, and devils; all it takes to be a mage is Medium and some cold-iron balls, though good mages should pick up Spirit Empathy, Telesend (Spirits only; Broadcast), Binding (Spirits only; Affects Insubstantial), and the skills Occultism, Exorcism, and Hidden Lore.
>>
Is there any adv - other than Signature Gear - allowing you to keep your costume on as a Super, regardless od damage, hazards and other factors?
>>
File: Capture.png (18KB, 442x122px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18KB, 442x122px
>>52802295
The closest thing I know is Supersuit.
>>
>>52802295
Combine >>52802327 with Sartorial Integrity, which is another perk that makes your clothes never get torn or dirty, even after combat or mountain climbing.
>>
File: file.png (458KB, 550x419px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
458KB, 550x419px
I have three points left on my character. Name three skills and I'll take one point in each of them.

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>52803274
Cryptography.
>>
>>52803274
Occultism, Administration, and Hiking.
>>
File: file.png (310KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
310KB, 512x384px
>>52803292
>>52803312
I'm going to compromise and drop Administration, seeing as someone in the party already has that.

Thanks, Anons.
>>
>>52797390

Thanks, man! That from...powers, I guess? Or Supers
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 269x167px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 269x167px
So, what other skills should NPC soldier have? I will hand this sheet out to the players, so I can't use my favorite tactic of "just wing it".
>>
>>52804689
Observation first and foremost. A hobby skill and/or Gambling for downtime. Most pick a point or two in Savoir-Faire (Military) just by being there.

Also
>Guns/TL3
>Bicycling
>>
File: tumblr_mtzxumMq9u1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg (119KB, 743x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtzxumMq9u1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg
119KB, 743x900px
>>52804853
Observation is good idea. I probably not going to give any social and background skills, since they are going to be a faceless cannon fodder (unless a player takes a shine to one of of the poor sods and decides to adopt him as Ally, then I will give some additional points to flesh him out).
>Guns/TL3
Forgot to change that.
>Bicycling
What's wrong with it? With no cars available, it is a valid choice of transportation - cheaper than a horse, takes less space and requires less maintenance. Granted, they will be a bit of an early adopters, but still.
>>
>>52805019
>What's wrong with it?
Nothing, but putting an actual point in it seems kinda off, Bicycling is described more as a skill for someone who competes or bikes long distance, not someone who merely knows how to ride a bike, default's good enough for that.
>>
>>52805019
I just can't imagine it being a reliable mode of transportation on a battlefield. The lack of even roads makes bikes a hell of a lot less useful, and the possibility of being shot at means running and ducking behind cover is preferable to long stretches of movement through an open area.

>>52805091
With the +4 to simply not fall off, defaulting on Bicycle gives a 50/50 chance of staying on every (I guess) minute *before* looking at any penalties for being distracted/shot at. I'd say one point is necessary but no one other than professional bicyclers has more than that.
>>
>>52805019
Seems like that would be pretty inviable outside of urban terrain and traveling by road, which makes it a bit unsuited to the traditional war effort.
Of course, I'm mostly talking out my ass, so I'd be interested in seeing how actual bike - borne troops worked.
>>
>>52805172
>>52805185
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry
>>
>>52805185
>>52805172
Looks like DARPA might still be spending money towards it.
>>
>>52806244
Would be nice if I added the link -
https://www.montaguebikes.com/bicycling.html
>>
>>52795686
>what's the deal with swing damage?
Not a big one, IMO.
Works fine for realistic levels of ST, with "fantasy" levels of ST swing damage might feel a point or two out of proportion but duelist VS knight is hardly your biggest concern when their teammates are a fairy and a wizard.

I generally allow a level or so of advantages like these even in realistic campaigns. So I guess 10% of ST no questions asked, 20% in a more fantastic campaign, 30% or even more seems fine if your concept is a fistfighter in a dungeoncrawl or something.

>Most unweildy enemy you ever threw at the players?
Weak but semi-organized and tactically aware group including a weak mage and a spear-wielder poking from behind teammates with shields.
Way too many separate sheets to keep track of when everyone has different stats, and on top of that keeping track of injury and initiative and trying to make tactical decisions for the whole enemy group, while also always taking shorter turns than my players to keep the action rolling.
I pulled through well enough, had to fudge a bit for simplicity and to tip the scales in my players' favor, but I learned my lesson and have never tried pulling off a battle that complex again.
>>
>>52801558
>>52801577
>>52801585
>>52801626

Thank you so much for the advice, I think I am going to go for RPM -Adept with Thamatology limited to 8 points to start and the need to find a teacher or book to learn more.
>>
So, any ideas for ordering RPM charms through Pulling Rank? I think it should be based on energy cost.
>>
>>52808706
Can't you make monetary requests?
Doesn't the RPM book have a relatively simple way to convert charm energy to dollars?
Can you figure out the cost of a 50 energy charm, then figure out how difficult it is to request a charm that expensive?

...I say these all as questions, because to my recollection, all these things are true, but not 100% sure.
>>
>>52805172
>defaulting on Bicycle gives a 50/50 chance of staying on every (I guess) minute *before* looking at any penalties for being distracted/shot at
I dunno, an unmodified roll is supposed to be in a stressful situation already. Riding around town on a nice day should give like a +5 bonus, at least.
>>
File: 1489866347499.gif (3MB, 551x273px) Image search: [Google]
1489866347499.gif
3MB, 551x273px
>>52809575
What a lovely day

FOR WAR
>>
>>52809575
I believe this is a correct answer. The average car owner doesn't have an entire point in the driving skill; and failures at driving aren't "you had a car accident" anyway. They are "You planned to get to work before 0900, unfortunately there was a traffic jam and you couldn't get around it. In the elevator you see it is 0902, and your boss has been kind of a hard ass recently; hopefully he won't notice."
>>
Latest Pyramid

https://mega.nz/#!3oNSzBgS!4WC1vY0lWX1LMBuu5cG-G2zHBAkTZxCMwjtFOpb7SDQ
>>
>>52809701
>>
File: kirara_005 Chino.png (332KB, 311x415px) Image search: [Google]
kirara_005 Chino.png
332KB, 311x415px
>http://www.beastsofwar.com/steve-jackson-games/stakeholder-report-discussed/
>The 2016 report was released last week and the headline figure is the just over $6 million in gross revenue the company earned, marking both the second straight year of declining revenue and a net loss for the first time in over a decade.

Apparently the delays aren't good for them either.
>>
>>52809697
Average drivers have way more then the 800 hours behind the wheel you'd need to get a point in the skill. Better to just say that most drivers have 4 points, and after that their routine isn't complicated or demanding enough to count for any kind of training.

>>52810161
I think it's just more a slump in card game sales. They haven't really gotten anything hot or new in a while.
>>
>>52810321
>Better to just say that most drivers have 4 points, and after that their routine isn't complicated or demanding enough to count for any kind of training.
I'd say you're right in this case, but 1 point instead of 4, maybe 2 if they come from a country with rigorous driving exams. Average drivers are pretty bad, even in ideal conditions.
>>
>>52810321
>Average drivers have way more then the 800 hours behind the wheel
Unless they're female.
>>
>>52803548
>>52798906
Supers p. 125
>>
>>52809701
>Crafting Imbuements
Imbuements already make my dick hard, so this article is off to a good start. It also would do wonders for a fantasy settings I've had on the back burner for ages now. Putting that aside, though, the article is pretty niche; it's very cool, but from what I've seen, campaigns with lots of downtime that make crafting viable are few and far between.

>Dungeon Fantasy Goes to War
A fun little article, light in the way of crunch, but a good source of ideas on introducing and balancing having a ton of minions innadungeon. Worth a read if nothing else.

>The Harvest -- Invasion Earth
A modern-day conspiracy/ayylmao-laden setting. It's pretty in-depth and would work well for groups that want a bit of political backstabbery with their daily dose of spacebug squashing. Yeah, you're pawns in an intergalactic cold war, but hey at least your patrons aren't hell-bent on wiping your race out, and these guns are *really* nice. On that note, the writing style is fun too, jumping between standard writing and an in-universe CIA briefing.

>The German Thing
A more action-packed and less terrifying version of Horror: The Madness Dossiers. Multiple timelines have crashed together and artifacts of each timeline have stuck around, leading to a hodgepodge of supers origins and backgrounds, plus plenty of anomalies, paradoxes, and PULP ADVENTURE. The timelines covered include Substrate Alexander (ultra-tech ancient Greece), Substrate Edison (wild inventors and savants with a bit of the 'tism), Substrate Kung (Ancient Cinese wuxia and qi), and Substrate Utnapishtim (hey look, it's Madness Dossiers!). Might be fun for groups that want to run a kitchen sink supers game or that want Rifts without, y'know, Rifts.

>Many Lives, One Adventure
A systemless look at using reincarnation in campaigns. A very interesting read; I've been wanting to rip off Spirit Circle for a while now and this may help.

>RTT
Advice for keeping things FEELING epic. Good to keep in mind.
>>
>>52795686
I allow 1-3 levels of striking strength in cinematic campaigns. I often link it to Weapon Master or TbaM.

>>52810321
The average driver probably has thousands of hours behind the wheel. I know I have at least 1500 hrs and drive infrequently at best.

In addition, Kromm said that learning the first pt of a skill is often cheaper than suggested in the Basic Set.

Finally, most people have higher skill levels than those suggested in the Basic Set. I'd say most professionals have 30-40 pts in skills with people who have achieved mastery or pursued higher education having significanlty more. Everyone here likely has at least 5pts in skills that are purely side interests at best.
>>
>>52810373
>>52812074

Average drivers in America put 8000 miles a year on the odometer without a serious accident. I'm not saying they are great.. but this is one of the few skills you could say that nearly everyone has at 1-8 points.

>>52812000
I liked the advice to keep epic weird. Small but lasting, shared effects from being exposed to epic forces seems like something I'd like to try.
>>
>>52812141
Most of those miles are highway miles, probably the easiest condition for driving (aside from empty parking lot or something), which contribute little to nothing to learning to drive.

At SL12 (8 points in driving with DX at 10), you would expect 74% of the people to succeed in a stressful car chase (B345 specifically lists Driving as an example, with car chase being +0, rally race is +1, normal driving is +2 to +5), which is clearly not the case.

I would expect the vast majority of the population to have around SL9, considering that a regular fail in favorable conditions is not a crash or anything, but stuff like being late or getting lost. Even a crit fail in favorable conditions probably wouldn't be an immediate crash.
>>
>>52812286
A car chase isn't one check, and it's opposed. Clear day, no complicating factors you'd pass a stretch of road without trouble on a SL 12. You'd still lose out to someone in a better car that has more experienced going fast, getting chased down and caught, and you'd have a very significant chance to get into a serious accident.

>Being late or getting lost

Those really are more navigation and timing then Drive(Auto). Being Billy Badass, Mega Racer can't get you though traffic on a stretch of highway any faster then a soccer mom if all four lanes are moving 22 MPH.
>>
>>52812483
>A car chase isn't one check, and it's opposed
Doesn't matter, we're not talking about the check, we're talking about the bonus. I don't see a regular average driver doing better than SL9 in a car chase, just look at regular police chase videos. Those police officers would probably have SL12.

>Those really are more navigation and timing then Drive(Auto).
These fall under IQ-based Driving rolls, actually. If you're familiar with the area you can conceivably select a less congested route.

Regardless, failing a driving roll on a clear day is not an automatic crash or anything. Positive task bonuses exist for a reason, and I'd classify driving the route you drive to work every day as trivial.
>>
>>52812538
Area familiarity is a different skill. Most car chases go on for hours unless the police attempt an aggressive stop or there's dangerous complicating factors like trying to go at high speed though narrow streets at night.

>Doesn't matter, we're not talking about the check, we're talking about the bonus.

Except that's ignoring how car chases are simulated. It's a unmodified opposed roll, then you add bonuses and penalties for conditions. An average driver can go down a highway ahead of the cops for hours without failing unless the opposing force tries to do something to try and make them fail.
>>
>>52812676
How car chases are simulated is beside the point, I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking specifically about the SL of an average driver. Car chase was just an example I used because it's present in the book as an example of a task thats Average difficulty (B345).

And again, straight in the book it says (B188) "Make an IQ-based Driving roll for
basic map reading, to diagnose simple
malfunctions, or to recall rules of the
road," which means that Driving applies not only to the mechanical operation of a vehicle but to other tasks related to Driving (such as navigation or knowledge of the traffic patterns, minor repairs, information about cars and driving, etc.).
>>
>>52812286
Nah, I don't believe that. I noticed a significant increase in my skill level over the years. I used to get lost or make mistakes all the time when going to new places. I used to get into minor accidents frequently too. Now I don't. Just driving under difficult conditions (snow, fog, raining, poor road) used to challenge me. Now it doesn't. And for people I know who have been driving for 20+ years, they're even better.

In addition, I'm pretty sure if everyone was driving at default there would be way more accidents. I'll admit, most drivers probably have 1-2 pts. However, older people most likely have way more.
>>
>>52812755
I'd put the average driver on the road at SL 9 to 10, a good driver at 11 to 12, a trained driver (policeman, long haul trucker, amateur racers) at 12 to 14, a professional stunt or race driver at 14 to 18.

Someone driving at Default would be a new driver barely out of getting a license or maybe a teen driver learning from their parents.
>>
File: we have to gurps for a moment.jpg (28KB, 980x278px) Image search: [Google]
we have to gurps for a moment.jpg
28KB, 980x278px
>>
>>52812729
>How car chases are simulated is beside the point, I'm not talking about that.

Except you can't win a car chase just by having an SL 12. You'd still fail if the other guy has a hotter car or more skill, you just won't wipe yourself out.. 4 out of 5 times.

That's pretty reasonable. Most people on the road, in America at least, are capable of driving ten thousand hours without a serious accident.

Also >Make an IQ based roll to read a map

That's not knowing an area. You can't roll to know where the nearest gas station is without a road atlas and time to consult it.
>>
What skills would I be rolling against if this forum post were something a character were making in game?
>>
>>52817042
You don't need to roll anything for casual posting.
>>
How would you do a race that by it's nature can be commanded by people that know it's true name?

How many points would something like being unable to cross an unbroken line of salt be worth? It makes me think of the Vampire divine curse (can't enter a house uninvited) that is wroth 10, but I'm not sure if that seems right. Is there a better way to stat that out?
>>
File: 14103434758160.gif (2MB, 304x178px) Image search: [Google]
14103434758160.gif
2MB, 304x178px
>>52810161
>F-35 against alien invasion
We're fucked.
At least they won't take our hangars.
>>
>>52817361
>divine curse (can't enter a house uninvited) [10]
Correct, but cost actually will depends on how wide spread that information.
>>
>>52817361
First one is Reprogrammable.
>>
I have some giant insects going on, but I'm afraid they may be not strong enough. How do I stat some bombardier beetle-like attack for a man-sized bug?
>>
>>52817456
I would make it as two linked attacks. One is Crushing with Double Knockback, +20% (stream of water), the other is Burning with No Incendiary Effect, -10% (because it's hot). Not sure how much damage, though. Maybe even No Wounding on crushing attack, so all damage will come from high temperature.
Either add Jet for narrow stream or Cone (perhaps only 1 or 2 yards wide) and Reduced Range if you want it to cover entire body.
>>
Does Flight with Low Ceiling slows down your fall?
>>
>>52818050
Once you get into your ceiling, you get a fly speed, so presumably yeah.
>>
>>52818050
You mean inside your ceiling or outside?

Inside the ceiling, yeah, it's flight, but you'd have to account for initial speed as you crossed the boundary.

Outside, would really depend on what is that ceiling exactly and GM call I guess. For example a bird could still flap its wings when falling through a thin atmosphere to slow down its fall even if it can't find purchase to fly, or a propeller plane that lost engine power due to lack of oxygen could still glide, but if it's some kind of anti-gravity flying device that needs to be a certain altitude from the ground to work, it'd drop like a rock until it reached said altitude.
>>
>>52805091

If you're going to depend on a vehicle, relying on a Skill Default on the relevant vehicle operation roll to see you through potentially dangerous situations is generally foolish.
>>
>>52810161
If you read through collection of their reports, you will realise three things:
1) They are under-staffed, but barely hire more people
2) Their head of marketing is an idiot and they've finally realised that 5 years too late
3) Munchkin is their main source of revenue, and they didn't publish anything new in that area for quite some time.

In short - they will bounce again with new line on Munchkin/other card games (as that's the very reason they didn't go bankrupt few years ago) and there is a chance they will finally start to market their games properly or at least stop using extremely dated marketing. 2017 and they are just about to start using internet... Sheesh.
>>
How do I change an affliction from "1 minute per margin of failure" to "only while actively maintained, e.g. Concentration maneuver on the attackers turn Also while allowing new save once a minute or something, I guess.".

In a pinch, the value for a modifier like "reduced duration: 1 minute per margin of failure -> 1 second per margin of failure" would suffice.
>>
>>52820145
There is Reduced Duration in Power Ups 8.
>>
>>52820283

Ooh, didn't know there was a Power Ups 8. This will do, thanks Anon.
>>
File: 3f1.png (253KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
3f1.png
253KB, 600x450px
Seriously, anons? Seriously? You want this thread to die?
>>
Cold-blooded:
>You are less susceptible to dam age from high or low body tempera ture (+2 HT to resist the effects of temperature)
Does it have any effect on freezing attacks from Cryokinesis, since it uses quick contest of Will?
>>
>>52817432
Really? They can't change your mind about anything or alter your memories, they can just tell you to do something. It's almost like an automatic Duity or Vow or something.

>>52817387

Thanks, I'll put it all together and share what I've got so far.
>>
>>52823195

No.
Cold-blooded and the somewhat similar Temperature Tolerance advantage refers to long, extended exposure to ambient cold/heat, not attacks. See p. 430 and 434 respectively in basic set.
>>
>>52818187
Is there a complicated formula for the amount of breaking you can do with flight inside your ceiling?
>>
>>52823305
Generally cyroblast and such deal Burning damage, so DR vs Burning works on them.

This seems odd, but remember things like big foil suits for firefighting. Stiflingly hot to wear for long, but they insulate well enough to keep sudden, intense heat from outside from killing you. They could do the same for people popping a kilogram of 0.5 Kelvin solid metallic hydrogen near you*.

*Well, the insulated suit would protect you from the tremendously endothermic reaction of the hydrogen as it phase-changed twice then expanded in every direction, absorbing more energy. It would provide little protection from the explosive force of said expansion.
>>
>>52823459

Normal High Speed Movement rules apply within your flight ceiling.
Simple rule, if you enter your ceiling while traveling at 100 yards per second, and your air move is 20, you can reduce your velocity by 20 per round.
Complicated formula, you can Push the Envelope and reduce your velocity by up to 2x air move by taking a DX-roll (or aerobatics, I guess) with a penalty based on change in speed and somesuch.
>>
>>52823278
Being subject to changing loyalties (i.e. changing Duty or Vow) is the most common way I've seen Reprogrammable used in published material. Also, Reprogrammable =/= Digital Mind; all Reprogrammable does is say "you can be programmed to obey a master." Yes, it fits AIs with override codes but also magical constructs, bound demons, etc.
>>
What are some good drug-related quirks that could develop during withdrawal?
>>
>>52824451
What drug?
Any symptom of drug-withdrawal that isn't a full disadvantage.
>>
>>52824540
Well the drugs I had in mind are from Fallout. Mentats, Jet, etc.
>>
Where can I find rules for irradiation? I'm planning a post-apo campaign and one of the locations is bombed air-base, so I really need some mechanics for gettin irradiated.
>>
>>52824576
Just use the original Fallout de-buffs as temporary effect. Now since you appear to already be doing something about similar setting, maybe you will know the answer to my >>52825983
>>
>>52825983
The Basic Set covers it under Hazards, but After the End has a version that's easier to game out.
>>
>>52826067
>After the End
Wait, what?
Did I miss something?
>>
>>52826849
A year or so ago SJG published 2 post-apo books for 4th edition. They are pretty good and simplify a lot of things that had to be cobbled together from like half of the entire GURPS library. Also, neat looting tables.
>>
>>52801585

I like RPM but I also like the default magic system for its simplicity.
>>
>>52827141
>default magic system
>simplicity
>>
>>52827223
For all its faults, Magic is very straightforward. "Here's your list of discrete spells; take what you want and fuck off." It's also a super-familiar format for people migrating from a D&D background (i.e. 95% of them).

The main issue with Magic is that it's restrictive, not that it's complex.
>>
>>52827376
Oh, you mean Magic.
I was sure you are talking about Basic Set's way of handling magic.
>>
Are there any advs (or maybe disadvs) that could cover this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RidiculouslyAverageGuy
I need it for a spy game.
>>
>>52827467
... Bruh Basic Set is Magic. You've got individual spells as individual skills based on IQ+Magery. Literally the only thing GURPS: Magic adds is more spells to the list (plus prototypes of Symbol and Syntactic); it is in no way a separate system.

Also not the original Anon.
>>
>>52827582
Forgettable Face (or whatever it's called) is a perk that makes you so average looking people have trouble remembering you. Other than that, maybe the Mundane Background disadvantage, no more than 11 or less than 9 in any attribute, no more than 8 points in any one skill, and then pump EVERYTHING into Luck, Destiny, and Serendipity to explain how the fuck you're still around in a high-stakes action-packed spy campaign.
>>
>>52827700
Don't forget Weirdness Magnet to justify him bring there in the first place. Don't know how that interacts with Mundane Background though.
>>
>>52827700
>>52827754
Mundane Background applies only to mana worlds. Also, I need it solely for the uncanny average appearance that is easy to forget, not entire character being average, so I guess Forgettable Face is what I was looking for.
Thanks!
>>
>>52825983
The Basic Set has some realistic rules for radiation which are pretty brutal. After the End offers Radiation Threshold Points which simplifies the entire radiation ruleset to be more streamlined while keeping some lethality. >>52826067 has already mentioned this.

>>52826015
I already am using the temporary debuffs. But *addiction* is something different. I want to use the basic set's withdrawal rules.
>>
File: C74uXK0VQAA5p-j.jpg (112KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C74uXK0VQAA5p-j.jpg
112KB, 675x1200px
>>52827632
GURPS Magic does add some complexity, in that spells can be quite unbalanced and some are poorly translated from previous editions. In general I feel like adding it means you need to carefully curate the available spells to match your setting.
>>
File: gurps f ya.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gurps f ya.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
>>52828336
>Fallout 1,2 stat debuffs
>GURPS style addiction on top
HNNNNGH
>>
>>52828739
Want the pastebin? I know you do.

They're WIP, so be harsh.

https://pastebin.com/jWGT8m94
>>
>Meta Trait: Dark Fae (Unseelie) (-20 points)
Divine Curse (-10 points)
Cannot deliberately lie or fail to uphold a vow or deal.

Divine Curse (-5 points)
Cannot cross an unbroken line of salt.

Re-programmable (Limited -50%) (-5 points)
May be commanded by those that know their True Name. Cannot be forced to make a Vow or Promise, but otherwise any command made in person is valid until next sunrise.

Is this more or less right for how the rules work?
>>
I have the strange desire to stat up a flesh eating teddy bear...
>>
File: Sinistar Faust.png (85KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Sinistar Faust.png
85KB, 256x256px
HE WAS A CLOOOOOOOOOONE
>>
>>52830606
Then do it
>>
>>52823383

But for the love of God, behave yourselves
>>
>>52832309
I won't be surprised if it's the same guy who posted completely useless clusterfuck of rules and called it "cheatsheet".
>>
>>52832309
Here's a better idea, don't go into a thread that's obviously bait.
>>
>>52832323
I like that guy. The pictures are useful if you know what you are looking at.

>>52830774
I think the GM is having a lot of fun with weirdness magnet. and the group getting fucked up on madness inducing drugs.

Someone got beat up with a dildo tonight.
>>
>>52795686
Simplest implementation you can think of:

How would I do GURPS Wuxia?
>>
>>52832442
All future weirdness magnet problems will be solved with liberal application of airlocks.
>>
>>52832328
Different anon and the thread is amazingly civil, despite starting as a bait.
>>
Bit of an question/opinion poll regarding Weirdness Magnet.

How do you treat one person having Weirdness Magnet as compared to the whole party having Weirdness Magnet on their characters.

I'm going to use "weird things" to mean plot hooks and whatever other effects the GM chooses to make as a result of Weirdness Magnet.

Should the weird things only happen to the characters with Weirdness Magnet, or the entire party of they're together? Should the intensity or the frequency of the weird things go up with the quantity of Weirdness Magnets in the party or should it stay constant regardless of how many Weirdness Magnets be there? If the whole party has Weirdness Magnet, should their whole adventure be fucked up or is there still room for regular adventuring of the non-weird sort?
>>
>>52832442
>The pictures are useful if you know what you are looking at
They are not. At all. I'm playing GURPS since '09 and they are just random clusterfuck of rules put together with no real coherence aside "here, now you have all shotgun rules in one place", but still simply pilled up instead of organised in anything even resembling order.
Literal page-flipping is more handy than using those sheets
>>
>>52832518
Also, instead of being organised into a column (which makes reading easier), they are put into a horizontal fashion. Because nothing helps reading like having page four times wider than your display and having to scroll on sides, while everything designed for displaying and scrolling is aligned vertically.
>>
>>52832509
It's valid, like it's valid for the whole group to defend one companion that had an Enemy show up, or the whole group going on a long ride down a dusty road with a friend because their Dependent has been kidnapped.

Don't kick it out all the time, and the focus/target of weirdness should be the person that got points for it.

>>52832518

Obscure shotgun rules are scattered though half of the book. A reference that has all of them in one place, even if they aren't perfectly organized, is useful. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
>>
>>52832443
Wouldn't that just be Basic Set, Martial Arts and Powers. Probably mostly really high skill levels and ki abilities.
>>
>>52832518

Good lord...if it irks you that much, do a better job yourself. As far as I know, the folks here do what they do because they're interested in helping others and not because they're being motivated financially. I have to concur that having all the relevant rules in one place is handier than shuffling through three, four or more pages each and every time.

You behave as a spoiled brat.
>>
Which skills are required for army officer?
>>
>>52835591
Strictly speaking, rank is the only real prerequisite.
Otherwise aim for logistical, administrative, and leadership items. It all depends on setting, era, and regimine though. What's your setting like?
>>
>>52836381
Late XIX century, France. I was thinking - Leadership, Administration and Tactics are a must, but what else?
>>
>>52836548
Ah well, if he's aristocracy, shore that up. Savoir faire high society / military, some hobby skills, gambling, and certainly carousing can't hurt.
>>
>>52836585
Background skills are covered already. I need a strictly military stuff.
>>
Any tips for creating a cyberpunk game, I find the prospect quite daunting as it seems to require stating out a lot of weapon options from various companies. Planning on drawing some inspiration from SLA Industries. Any advice on how best to use gurus to do so. Planning on having players start out working for the corps btw.
>>
>>52837161
>it seems to require stating out a lot of weapon options from various companies.
It doesn't. Use Ultra-Tech and High-Tech.

Ultra-Tech has a guide at the beginning of the book for cyberpunk tech, use that. No clue what SLA Industries is so I can't help there.
>>
>>52832788
You know, the saying in my country goes - "Better is enemy of good". Go figure.

>>52833156
Thing is - I don't NEED to do a better job. I don't use most of rules presented in that those images at all, because there is no need for them to be used on regular basis. They are highly specific, situational stuff you might use once or twice in your life. There is a reason they are so obscure. Meanwhile, some autist literally crammed together useless shit with no order and I'm supposed to be grateful.
For what, exactly?
Providing fodder for "GURPS is too hard" meme?
>>
>>52837215
Not surprised, its an absurdly obscure RPG from the 90's but a really great setting.
>>
>>52836548
Before or after war with Prussia?
This IS an important factor, as it switches pretty large chunk of skills and their importance, not to mention requirements to qualify for commission.
>>
>>52837161
Yeah I used another setting as a background. That worked real well, since GURPS is so modular.

I used Cyberpunk 2020 though.
>>
>>52837250
>Waaa, shit I don't use in MY games is USELESS for EVERYONE
WAAAAA
>>
>>52837475
Let's break the image down, then, top to bottom then side to side:
>1. Table of High-Tech shotguns
You don't need this during play. You buy your shotguns beforehand. Not relevant.

>2. Solid (TL3)
You buy shotgun slugs before the game. Not relevant.

>3. Shotguns and Multiple Projectiles
Is it really that hard to remember 3x9 means one shot has a RoF 9, two has RoF 18, and three has RoF 27? I'll grant you the 10% of 1/2D range, but the image didn't even use Tactical Shooting's rules here. Mostly irrelevant.

>4. Shotguns heading
A description of what shotguns are, with references to specific rules. Includes a tiny blurb at the bottom explaining which Rcl to use for slugs and how to get their damage and Acc, which you should already know before the game starts. Mostly irrelevant.

>5. Example of shotguns in play
Explains how rapid fire rules work. Really? Not relevant.

>6. Image of a shotgun
Not relevant.

>7. Entire right third of the image is ammo
Not relevant during play, easily referenced before play as you have all of the time in the world to look these things up.

So how is that image useful, exactly, to anyone? It collects a grand total of two books' worth of information that already tell you exactly what pages to go to for rules. Fuck, it doesn't even have the rapid fire bonus table on it, or the dodging multiple projectiles rules, or limited defenses with firearms. How are those not relevant to shotguns?

It's a shitty guide that helps no one.
>>
>>52837475
Since already different anon explained you why the image was shit, here is a more personal message:
Stop defending stupid shit. Good intentions and participation effort are worthless, if the final result is shit. And that's the case of the shotgun compilation.
>>
>>52837628
>>52837691

Calm the fuck down. I don't have any idea why you keep bringing this up and trying to demand everyone agree with you. Nobody even posted the fucking picture you are whining about in this thread.

>Stop defending things I don't like!

That is the best example of antisocial autistic behavior I've ever seen.
>>
>>52839999
>Nobody even posted the fucking picture you are whining about in this thread.
Somebody brought them up >>52832442 (a foolish mistake). A second anon >>52832518 disagreed with him. A third anon >>52832788 disagreed with the second and agreed with the first. The second anon, presumably, continued what is known as a "conversation" with what is known as a "reply" >>52837250 which spawned trolling in the form of a fourth anon's reply >>52837475

This fourth anon was disagreed with by a fifth >>52837628 and sixth >>52837691 who both put forth arguments explaining why they disagreed.

Now that you understand why people are talking about it, we can move on to your next comment:
>Stop defending things I don't like!

Did you know that GURPS has a reputation as being lolhardmaths? Did you know that the shotgun image supports that idea? Not only that, it's unhelpful to those who know GURPS. That's where the rub is. The community is concerned with its appearance because we desire more people to play with. Images like that shotgun image degrade that appearance by playing into memes about GURPS.

Do you understand?
>>
>>52836548
Maybe Observation and Forward Observer, one to notice threats on the battlefield before it's too late and one to better direct artillery?
>>
Ok so GM question; is there any way to have ambushes and sneak attacks on player characters in a setting with modern weapons that isnt a 'succeed a passive per or die' without either intentionally gimping the attackers or giving players an ooc warning?

It seems kinda gamey if every sniper misses his first shot, but completely unfair if a player takes 50 points of injury to the skull with no warning.
>>
>>52841071
First of all, the sniper has to succeed on their roll.

Secondly, fifty points is pretty low to be up against snipers. You don't really get much in the way to counteract that, like Danger Sense.

Are you running a game where the PCs are supposed to be protected against death like that by the narrative?

If you have NPCs in the party, make the first attack roll against them instead of the PCs. If they hit, great, if they don't, PCs can scramble for cover.

Also remember that snipers are probably aiming for the torso/vitals instead of the skull. A miss by 1 on the vitals hits the torso, and if you use the HT rules, a torso hit caps at your HP for injury, but not for bleeding out.
>>
>>52837161
Ultra-Tech's slugthrowers are very generic, and this is a wonderful thing because it lets you create "corporate lenses" that you can easily stick on the guns. There are about ~30 slugthrowers, and assuming each company has models based on roughly half of them (e.g. a company might sell "hunters' weapons" and not make any of the guns with RoF5+), with half-a-dozen lenses, you've got an impressive catalog of weapons.

I went the Borderlands route and had each firm specialize in one theme and had their lens reflect that. The main three types people looked at were shitty spitfires, cheap and tiny plastic assassination/"personal defense" weapons, and uber-expensive ETC handcannons. Consider a few more themes players might go for and go from there. As for pricing, all of my lenses were made with published material--ETC is from Ultra-Tech and the others came from Gun-Fu's and/or Tactical Shooting's chapter(s) on weapon customization--but feel free to wing it for your game!
>>
>>52841142
Where are the rules regarding torso hits being capped?
>>
>>52841280
HT162

You could also use Survivable Guns from some pyramid issue. Halve rifle damage, give them AD(2).
>>
So you're able to get more DX than 15, but only if you're not human, correct?
>>
>>52841754
Depends on the game. Basic Set says that 15 or more is amazing, and that beyond 20 is godlike, besides ST. I've never capped an attribute, either because players couldn't buy attributes 15+ or because it was a supers game, so there wasn't any issue with it. Realistically, though, people probably have a soft cap of 16.
>>
>>52841810
It's for a Vampire the Masquerade game, and I was just wondering because hypothetically if someone wanted to crank their DX to 13, and had a high generation, they could buff their DX to 20+, possibly. Just wondering if that was even rules-legal (Which it seems to be).
>>
>>52841887
Yeah, it's legit, though it may not be point-efficient.
>>
>>52841995
Well, there's a mechanic for spending blood points to up your stats, so... Maybe I should change DX from getting a +2 per point spent to +1? That would probably be a good idea.
>>
I'm going to be running a homebrew fantasy setting, featuring Original and Interesting races and naturally racial templates.

I'm considering making ALL modifications to the starting template count towards the disad limit, as well as giving a flat -10% discount to all racial advantages.

Does this seem like a good way to discourage players 'pick and choosing' from the racial traits?
>>
>>52842148
Just ban them from changing the racial template. Take it or leave it. It's a lot easier.
>>
>>52842171
How would that work for modified attributes?
>>
>>52842180
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Let's say we have the Felinoid template from B261. It costs 35 points, gives +1 to DX and -1 to ST. It also gives a host of advantages alongside Impulsiveness and Sleepy.

If I make a Felinoid character, I take the Felinoid template which costs me 35 points, raises my DX by 1, and lowers my ST by 1. The disads on the felinoid template don't count towards my disadvantages.

If I want to lower DX by 1, that counts against my disad limit. If I want to raise ST by 2, that costs me points. I'm not sure where your question comes from.
>>
>>52842238
Okay I can see that. Might work.
>>
>>52839999
The quads have been wasted.

The problem with the particular image being discussed is that it reinforces the inconvenienced idea that GURPS is hardmaths. If people keep creating shit images like the Shotgun Images, then more people will start believing the idea.
>>
>>52842148
You normally can't change the traits on a racial template to begin with unless the GM (you) says so. So this isn't a problem to begin with. Typically, the negative traits given in a racial template do not count towards the disadvantage limit, however you can change this if you like.
>>
Would you guys be willing to help me make some races for a fantasy world I'm running? I'm new to GURPS in general, and don't know how to do that
>>
>>52843769
What do you have in mind?
>>
>>52839999
>That is the best example of antisocial autistic behavior I've ever seen.
I guess you didn't see much, then.
And it's ironic, when you consider you are the one both asking to calm down and throwing the most vitrol into the argument.

The Shotgun Compilation is the epitome of everything wrong with "promoting" GURPS, both by SJG and fandom itself, because it showcase how god-awful both are as creating initiative for new players to even consider playing the game at all.
Do you know the Shotgun Compilation was originally created as a "easy to access" ruleset for new players? Not a cheat-sheet for grogs, not a joke or a prank, not even a meme, but as help for new players.

Guess what was the REAL result of that image and what kind of reactions it inspires.
People openly hate it, because it's singlehandly the worst case scenario imaginable: where GURPS fandom can't sell their own game to new guys, representing sheer incompetence and almost clinical autistic approach to a relatively easy task of "GURPS is this cool game that allows you to have elastic, design-it-yourself rules for all kind of situations!"

The worst thing is the image itself is well-crafted, clean and obviously "professional", but the content of it is hot garbage. It means that it's not just some joke, but actual game content, presented as is.
>>
File: Keke 2.jpg (181KB, 839x1375px) Image search: [Google]
Keke 2.jpg
181KB, 839x1375px
>>52843786
Well, there's the Chiropterae.

A race of large bat people. They are physically strong and resilient, but their resilience is negated by silver like a werewolf, so I was thinking some form of DR that's penetrated by silver weaponry? On the ground they aren't too nimble, slightly less than that of a bog-standard human, but in the air they are more nible than one would expect. They're practically blind, but not completely. They rely on their noses and keen ears to help them get around. Their teeth and claws are dangerous.

If it matters, we're using Ritual Path Magic, and they're standard for magical aptitude.
>>
>>52844398
When I say 'large' I mean about 10 feet tall (3.1 meters)
>>
File: 1409698112922.png (344KB, 681x496px) Image search: [Google]
1409698112922.png
344KB, 681x496px
>hop into gurpsgen
>it's another 'autist with terrible handouts argues with people over his handouts' thread
>>
>>52844398
>Large
SM+1 [0]
>Physically strong and resilient
ST+1 or +2 [9 or 18]; HP+4* [8]
>Werewolf and Silver
Vulnerability (Silver, Rare, x2)* [-10]
>Aren't too nimble on the ground.
Basic Move -1 [-5] or Semi-Upright [-5]
>More nimble in the air
Flight (Winged, -25%) [30]; 3D Spatial Sense [10] for that innate +2 to Aerobatics
>Practically Blind
Bad Sight [-25]
>Keen sense of smell and hearing
Discriminatory Hearing [15]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Scanning Sense (Sonar) [20]**; probably some combination of Acute Hearing/Smell and Protected Sense.
*DR tends to only be justified for really thick hides like rhinos; instead, I took it as "strong and resilient by human standards," and by human standards, ST 12 is stronk (the average Chiropterae is as strong as a trained human warrior) and HP 16 can take an impressive level of punishment (to cripple their arm or stun them, they need to suffer the same amount of injury it takes to drop a human.)
**Check out Powers: Enhanced Senses for a better way of handling this.

Total comes out to 76 and some change for Acute and Protected senses. Maybe drop DX by 1 [-20] for "aren't nimble on the ground" and have 3DSS make up for it in the air? Having more than a x2 multiplier for Vulnerability is tempting but very lethal; it's fine for monsters, but PCs should be pretty survivable and getting oneshotted by a silver butter knife isn't always fun. You might want to also consider Skinny [-5] and Vulnerability (Crushing, Common, x2) [-30] to both lower the template's cost and give a nod towards realism in explaining how they fly (0% body fat and hollow bones).
>>
>>52844792
What is SM? Size Modifier?

And I'm looking at the GCS and not sure how to add the HP+4 or ST +1 thing. Where do I do that, exactly?

* Alright, good to know. I'm still learnin' this shit.

**Powers is a book, right?
>>
>>52845079
Additionally, is there a way to simulate the fact that hovering is a difficult thing that most can't do, but is possible with training?

And how much worse is it to go from x2 to x3 for vilnerability?
>>
>>52845175
>Additionally, is there a way to simulate the fact that hovering is a difficult thing that most can't do, but is possible with training?
I'd put Cannot Hover (-15%) on the Flight advantage and note that individuals can buy off the limitation by paying the difference in points.
>>
>>52840210
>>52843585
>>52843902
>>52844757

Calm the fuck down, samefag

It started with your autistic screeching about it and desire to bring it up.

Then you freaked the fuck out because you can't take it when people disagree with you.

Shut the fuck up about it. You've said the same thing about it dozens of times.
>>
>>52845590
Oh, the irony.
>>
>>52837271
After.
>>
Does anyone else find it odd that the fastest Horse has move 9 despite horses going at least 25mph at a full gallop which is around 11m/s
>>
>>52848053
They have Enhanced Move.
>>
>>52848069
Doh, Can't belive I forgot that, I've been statting a bunch of animals so statblocks have become a blur almost. I should probably give enhanced move to the giraffe I just statted instead of just raw move.
>>
>>52843902

You do know pretty much any moderately rules-heavy system has the same "problem" of rules being scattered about, right? This isn't unique to GURPS, but the community that loathes it likes to pretend it *is*.
>>
Why does IQ determine how fast you recover from surprise (i.e. mental stun)? Isn't reacting quickly to things generally related to DX?
>>
>>52848798
Mental stun is mental. DX is physical.
>>
>>52848798
DX is your physical reflexes, not regarding thinking. Recovering from surprise is your mind catching up to what's happening and deciding what's going on.
>>
File: New Image.png (56KB, 959x622px) Image search: [Google]
New Image.png
56KB, 959x622px
>>52845590
>Samefag

Like I've said - you are the only one angry here
>>
File: miss the point.jpg (6KB, 235x206px) Image search: [Google]
miss the point.jpg
6KB, 235x206px
>>52848697
It's not about rules being scattered.
It's about the compilation of said rules being worse than useless. This anon nicely summed up what's wrong with that image >>52837628 and why it's utterly pointless.
>>
>>52847202
Top brass needs Obsession (Revanchism; Long Term) [-10]
EVERY soldier needs Sense of Duty, NCO and higher need Overconfidence and Stubborness to compensate for the idiotic elane doctrine. Technically, you are qualified for Daredevil adv, for the same reason and up to 3 ranks in Fearlessness.
Sufficient Rank, depending on how hight in the ladder the officer is.

Assuming it's not a reservist officer, but trained one (and only then!) you can pick Combat Reflexes, along with Status (capped at 3), along with Social Regard 1.

As you might notice, not much actual soldiering in advantages and disadvantages.

Skills, assuming professional officer:
>Administration
12-14. Only if you are above NCO rank/office worker NCO
>Area Knowledge
<=12
Regional, covering the area nearby garrison he's stationed in, along with things on the other side of the border (IF it's border)
>Artillery
<=13 NCO pick Gunner instead, you don't get both
>Artist (Drawing) >=11
Officer only, for map-making
>Boxing
Purely optional "flavour"
>Cartography
Capped at 13 for NCO, AT LEAST 12 for officer
>Current Affairs (Politics)
NCO might get none or really low value, at least 12 for officer
>Current Afairs (Military)
Both get at least 11
>Electronics Operations (Communications)
ONLY officer and only if TL allows them, be them telegraph or heliograph (but that should be different skill), if it's outright pre-WW1, then NCO should get some, but no more than 11.

>TBC
>>
>>52850146
>Engineer (Combat)
Purely optional for Officers, no more than 10 (!) for NCOs
>Explosives (Artillery Shells)
Officer-only and only if they are in artillery
>Expert Skill (Military Science)
Capped at 10 and 12 for NCOs and officers
>Guns (Pistols)
10 for both
>Guns (Rifle)
ONLY for NCO, at least 13
>Hiking
14 and 12 for NCO and officer. Colonel and above gets none.
>Intelligence Analysis
ONLY officer, no more than 12 (14 if he's in communication/intelligence, French sucked at this pretty hard)
>Leadership
13 for NCOs, AT LEAST 14 for officers
>Mathematics (Applied)
10-12 range
>Meteorology (Earthlike)
Single point, officer only
>Navigation (Land)
NCOs 2 points, officers 1
>Politics
ONLY officer and only above Colonel, each "rank" adding another point.
>Propaganda
14 for NCOs, at least 12 for officers
>Riding (Equine)
I'm just reminding it's about period where this skill is still in use
>Savoir-Faire (Military)
14 both
>Soldier
ONLY NCOs
>Strategy (Land)
ONLY officers, baseline 9 (!), colonel and above can get 1 higher per rank
>Tactics
NCOs 12, officers 13, then from colonel above decreasing
>Typing
Only if this suits, as typewriters should already show up

You can also add Survival (Some exotic environment) if they've did tour/serve in colonies, but keep it at 10 or below
>>
Why would anyone ever Shield Bash? (given normal circumstances, as in, you're standing fighting with an one-handed broadsword)

I didn't expect it to do much damage (since, well, you're using your shield instead of your actual weapon), but it doesn't really do anything else. AFAIK, knocking someone down is done through Shield SLAM (unless your ST is through the roof so you can inflict a fuckload of crushing to do knockback). Even an All-Out Attack with a feint is better used to attack with your main weapon (whereas in real life it seems kind of easy to fake a stab while you hit them with the shield).

A shield bash with ST 14 has literally no chance of causing knockback to the average human (max 6 damage, when you'd need 8). Am I missing something here?
>>
>>52851166
Shields are fucking heavy. If enemy relies too much on parry with fencing weapon, shield bash him, forcing him to use dodge or risk breaking his gay little toothpick.
>>
>>52851166
>Why would anyone ever Shield Bash
Because you can't parry that, like this anon >>52851166 already pointed out. Bringing shield to a melee fight in TL4 and TL5 is an instant win, because the other guy most likely won't have a weapon capable of parrying you.
>>
>>52851236
>>52851320
So the idea is you just bash someone to death with them if they use very light weapons so they have to use their inferior dodge score instead of their parry? Cool, thanks.

Another question: say I'm using a weapon with enough reach, like for example a halberd. Is there a way I can keep enemies at a reach I can attack them but they cannot reach me? Or can they just waltz past my weapon after I do my attack/stop thrust?
>>
>>52851166

Dual-attack also, it gets harder for you opponent to defend against two simultaneous attacks.
>>
>>52851353
Wait maneuver. As soon as enemy moves in range, hit him and step backwards.
>>
>>52851353
Not exactly "to death", but forcing on them attack they can't simply parry. And parry is the type of defense most of melee characters are doing to use, so you are denying them their main weapon. Thus while doing sub-par damage, you are doing a damage that can't be really blocked. And catching shield with your face is always nasty.

About the reach weapon:
IRL it would be about proper parry. Contrary to popular believe, it's VERY hard to reach someone with a polearm, specially something like pike or spear, because they can easily keep you at bay OR swing the blunt side to knock you away from them.
As for GURPS, it's like using those weapons for parry, so the enemy can't reach you with his attacks. But I'm not sure if there is actual rule for this.
But there should be.
>>
>>52851384
This
>>
>>52851384
Can't they just keep walking towards you regardless? I mean, it'll take one extra yard, but still.

>>52851390
>Contrary to popular believe, it's VERY hard to reach someone with a polearm, specially something like pike or spear, because they can easily keep you at bay OR swing the blunt side to knock you away from them.
Indeed, that's why I'm confused by how easy it seems in GURPS.
>>
>>52851444
They sure can, if they don't mind getting face full of halberd. Otherwise, they will have to Dodge and Retreat.
>>
>>52851444
It's not about them being unable to TRY reach you. It's about you always using wait move, so whenever they try, they get spear in their face.
Just like they would get in normal combat when trying to close-in to a spearman.

Wait move is probably the best thing imaginable and most people neglect it for no real reason or excuse
>>
Is there a book or somewhere I can get a bunch of tables of modern vehicles for GURPS?

Kinda like High Tech - Weapon Tables but for modern cars, vans, trucks, tanks and the like.
>>
>>52851812
Vehicles Lite?
>>
>>52851853
Isn't that 3rd edition? Is it hard to convert a vehicle from 3rd edition to 4th edition?
>>
>>52851867
Using existing vehicles and tinkering with them - not that hard.
Creating new ones - too much work to bother.
>>
>>52851899
So if I wanted stats for some modern cars, trucks and vans for a 4th ed game I'd better off stating the cars myself based off the examples in Basic Set and High Tech?
>>
>>52851914
More or less.
But making anything above, say, 8 tonne truck, might be a "bit" tricky using rules presented in 4e.
As for now, there is no real way to deal with vehicles under 4e ruleset. Conversion from 3e is painful, just like making anew with 4e
>>
File: redneck_rides_again_screenshot1.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
redneck_rides_again_screenshot1.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
Tying dynamite sticks to crossbow bolts - is it possible and how do I achieve that?
>>
>>52851949
What about the unofficial Vehicle Collection and /tg/ guide in the MEGA archive, that any good?
>>
>>52851794
>Wait move is probably the best thing imaginable and most people neglect it for no real reason or excuse
The real reason most people neglect it is because it's not a legal move.
You can only transform your Wait into an Attack, Feint, All-Out Attack, or Ready maneuver.
>>
>>52852008
Not him, but they are a big clunky. Takes a while to get used to them.

>>52852034
>You can only transform your Wait into an Attack, Feint
Which is exactly all you ever need from it to do. Attack when the other side "triggers" your move or even outright Feint your attack.
>>
>>52852168
>Attack when the other side "triggers" your move or even outright Feint your attack.
>"triggers" your move
Oh. I see now. You're using the wrong terminology, which had me confused for a bit.

Wait is a maneuver. When activated, it transforms into a legal maneuver like attack, feint or all-out attack.
Move is also a maneuver, it is NOT legal to transform a Wait maneuver into a Move maneuver.
>>
>>52852255
The standard joys of never having GURPS translated into your language and resorting to writing from memory, retranslating things back and forth.
Happens every time when I don't have the ruleset at hand and I'm currently in train.
>>
File: 1454509572775.jpg (9KB, 184x177px) Image search: [Google]
1454509572775.jpg
9KB, 184x177px
>>52853666
>>
>>52851999
It'd be pretty simple, maybe use a knot tying skill and then when your ready to fire take a ready maneuver to light the stick and then fire. It would probably reduce the range and accuracy of the crossbow as well and make sure to use scatter rules to see where it lands if it misses.
>>
>>52855518
>It would probably reduce the range and accuracy of the crossbow
The important part of that is HOW MUCH does it do so?

Maybe take a factor of the ratio of dynamite weigh to crossbow bolt weight, and reduce total distance, much like a thrown weapon?
>>
>>52855619
As a GM making a snap judgement, I say quarter the range and give it -2 to Acc, as dynamite tied to a quarrel is worse than a cheap quarrel.

Using The Deadly Spring, making a crossbow weigh .544 lbs. for a quarrel with a stick of dynamite attacked to it reduced the range from 424 to 115, x3.6 less range. I would say Acc drops to 1 as the quarrel's completely off-balance, which will really mess with your ability to aim it.

Alternatively, build it as an innate attack.
>>
>>52851999
>>52855619

Low Tech has rules for burning arrows:
>a lit fire-cage arrow has -2 to hit; it further has -1 to Acc and subtracts 5 from both range multipliers.
The payload is nowhere NEAR the size of a dynamite, but at least it's a place to start.
>>
>>52855619
Well the weight of a stick of dynamite is 1, a crossbow bolt is 0.06 lets just round that up to 0.1 for simplicity sake, so dynamite weighs 10x the amount so lets reduce the range by a 1/10th, that gives normal crossbows a range of STx2/STx2.5 which is better than any hand thrown weapon and a pistol crossbow STx1.5/STx2 range which is equivilent to the better ranged thrown weapons. Then I would probably just reduce the Acc of a normal crossbow to 1 and a pistol crossbow to 0. My range solution is a simple one and probably not 100% accurate to physics but I think acc solution is solid I think as a bolt with a stick of dynamite on it isn't gonna be too accurate.
>>
>>52855619
Also yeah i'd say give it penalty to hit like >>52855884 said, probably somewhere around -4, maybe a technique could be used to buy off the penalty if you have a character that plans to consistently use this kind of stuff, something like "Strange Payload"
>>
>>52855915
>>52855984

Those rules sound great for a purpose built dyno-bolt. For cruder ones in the field I'd just add levels of Improvised Weapon penalties, depending on how close you get the weight closer to the center of balance for the bolt.
>>
>>52845590
I'm not samefagging you absolute retard.
>>
>>52855915
>lets just round that up to 0.1 for simplicity sake
Here's the problem - if we don't round it up, then dynamite stick will weigh ~17x the amount of a bolt. Of course, this is assuming 1 lb dynamite sticks (standard dynamite sticks weigh 0.5 lb in HT). Also what would be the damage? This may be important for the purposes of finding whether it penetrates the DR and sticks into the target, or bounces off and drops to the ground.
>>
>>52856476
Calm the fuck down then
>>
File: Weirdo.gif (3MB, 506x285px) Image search: [Google]
Weirdo.gif
3MB, 506x285px
>>52853813
>>
>>52855619
You are going to be better off just using entire bundle of dynamite put on a heavy stick and use it as Stielhandgranate than trying to tie a single stick to single bolt and risk it jamming in your crossbow or something
>>
Could someone give me a real life example of a broadsword that isn't a thrusting broadsword? I have a hard time figuring out what kind of blade they are trying to describe with a blunt
tip and crushing damage.

Also, what's the reason for a long axe being dubble dagger when a dueling halberd isn't?
>>
File: junglemachete.jpg (32KB, 450x354px) Image search: [Google]
junglemachete.jpg
32KB, 450x354px
>>52859174
I tend to picture things like this for non-thrusting broadswords/greatswords. Simple, rectangular profiles without a trusting tip to make them easy to manufacture.
>>
File: 1491701886539.png (920KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491701886539.png
920KB, 1024x1024px
The one thing that I see over and over about GURPS is that "it doesn't do well with high points totals". I've never played above 200 points, so I can't sleak to this.

What's wrong with high point campaigns? Is it just that there are too many advantages you can buy? Is it that things get too confusing? Would it be too hard to run a Jacetice League campaign?
>>
>>52860021
GURPS does great at high point totals. The problem is getting adjusted to the power level of the characters.
>>
>>52860021
Once the points approach 1000, character generation becomes difficult to manage, stuff flies under your radar while you start spending points on stuff 'because you can', and it's also a bookkeeping nightmare. It's also a saving grace because, if people optimized their 1000 point characters like they do with their 100 point ones, stuff like MUNCHKIN would start feauturing very often. This is an emergent property, though, at 400 points while character generation is more complex than 200 it's nothing you can't manage with a little bit more patience.
>>
>>52860280
I enjoy 200-400pts play. Enough pts to make thoroughly powerful characters with a moderate disadvantage limit.
>>
>>52860021
Honestly, I never know what to do with 200 points, so at 1000 I would probably make few characters rather than one. I end up with really silly starting values for most skills and there is no real point rising them later in the game, so it kind of sucks. I try to imagine how it must bloat at 1k limit
>>
How much would it hypothetically cost to buy every GURPS book in existence?
>>
File: 1457329545345.jpg (137KB, 745x1173px) Image search: [Google]
1457329545345.jpg
137KB, 745x1173px
>>52861329
Oh God
Oh God why
>>
>>52861433
I'm curious, and would like to know what job would I need to do so.
>>
>>52861329
Roll your IQ.
>>
File: Epée_de_justice_IMG_3471.jpg (633KB, 3499x5248px) Image search: [Google]
Epée_de_justice_IMG_3471.jpg
633KB, 3499x5248px
>>52859174
>>
>>52860021
GURPS does okay with high point totals, DF, MH, and Action are all built on them. Ridiculously high point totals - well, that may be a problem, but I haven't played them. Also, in my opinion, GURPS doesn't do well with high TLs. Anything above TL9 is pretty iffy.
>>
>>52861033
>don't know what to do with 200pts
Look at some 200pt templates, jeez...

200pts is really the minimum for high-powered play. I like 250pts for dungeon fantasy or action campaign (the players are larger-than-life badasses compared to most folk). 400pts is good for high fantasy games, i.e. players rub shoulders with gods on a regular basis. Oddly enough, I don't really like super games despite liking high power levels. Though, I suppose when you're playing a 1000pt elf lord who wrestles demon lords to the ground, you ARE playing a supers game.
>>
File: iwishihadmyshield.jpg (133KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
iwishihadmyshield.jpg
133KB, 1920x800px
>>52862220
Very few games do high power or high technology very well. Why? Because it's so beyond human experience it's hard to write nevermind balance. I'm of the opinion that GURPS does it better than most if you're objective is to just simulate high power or high technology.

As an aside, does anyone ever find using a two-handed sword better than using a shield? If you have good armor, yeah sure. However, many players start out poor so getting that well-made suit of plate is cost prohibitive. All it takes is a few good arrows and some ornery orcs.
>>
File: 0372439d70fb6641a02e79ec281b33bc.jpg (492KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0372439d70fb6641a02e79ec281b33bc.jpg
492KB, 800x1200px
>>52860021
Part of the problem with high point totals is that the more points you have the wider the gulf between a person that optimizes their character and someone that fails to optimize.

At 100 points two people building the same basic concept like TL 3 archer or swordsman will come up with similar characters that will be able to fight in more or less the same situations.

At 400 points you might end up with drastically different capabilities and abilities to handle threats.
>>
>>52862423
>the wider the gulf between a person that optimizes their character and someone that fails to optimize.

Only if they're competing. As long as everyone covers some niche, then relative power level matters very little. So yeah, if you have two warriors you need to be careful as a GM so they're both useful. You might want to make a few advantages mandatory and provided a some suggestions for both players. For example, if one player is going to be a sword and board man, tell the other to be a archer. Or maybe embrace another archetype, i.e. holy warrior with combat and magical abilities plus some demonology skills.

The nice thing about high pts is that you can create very mechanically different characters. At low pts, it basically becomes muscle vs brains (150pts is really the minimum for a jack of all trades character IMHO).
>>
File: 1478223413649.jpg (346KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1478223413649.jpg
346KB, 1200x1650px
>>52862340

Two handed swords are great for versatile, high damage attacks. It's great to be able to hit at mid and close range and some maneuvers are very useful. Two handed sword is also quite a bit lighter then axe and large shield.

If you have the points to buy heavy mail chest protection ($1,200) then you are relatively safe from human-scale attackers with arrows bringing you down quickly with body/vitals shots. Adding a armored surcoat means a -1DX penalty, but can be worth it if you are going into a high arrow threat area.

Your arms and legs generally don't need nearly as much protection from arrows. You can go with cheaper, lighter armor there.

That said it's generally a loadout I reach for when I've got enough wealth, or some kind of Patron that gives gear and can make it happen. For poor men axe and shield is a great choice, and even if you can afford good armor you might want to keep your shield.
>>
>>52862253
Not him, but 200 and 200+ templates are hardly balanced or usable - they just cram a LOT of points into one or two features, keeping everything else as if the budget was 75 pts.

Also - high-power play starts at 150/-30. That's more than enough to make a low-end super or a "regular" human that is a highly trained specialist.
>>
>>52862868
>balanced or usable

If the players aren't competing, it doesn't matter. It's up to you as the GM to balance the combat so it still challenges the most combat proficient person but doesn't kill everyone else.

That's said I don't find any of the 200+ pt templates in the books unbalanced for their campaign types.

>Also - high-power play starts at 150/-30. That's more than enough to make a low-end super or a "regular" human that is a highly trained specialist.

100-200pts is heroic range, i.e. highly trained but normal people. They're not high powered at all. Low-end street-level supers are 300pts usually.
>>
>>52862868
>>52862978

I like templates for high point games. Dungeon Fantasy characters, for example, don't have too much in the way of hard optimization. The Barbarian gets 4 points of Talent (outdoorsmen) despite that being a terrible talent.
>>
>>52863931
The barbarian isn't a pure warrior. He's definitely got some combat utility but he's also a rough and ready outdoorsman, i.e. the type of guy who goes wrestling bears. He starts with 15 survival so he's definitely not bad at guiding the party through the wilderness. Really, there's no pure combat focused template for Dungeon Fantasy. Even the knight has other uses; amateur tactician and armorer. Finally, DF characters are allowed to increase their attributes anyway they want post-char gen. That means if you feel your Barbarian should become kingly material aka Conan, you can pump his IQ up.
>>
File: 3423-934x.jpg (155KB, 784x547px) Image search: [Google]
3423-934x.jpg
155KB, 784x547px
>>52864852
That's very true and a good point. Outdoorsman is just so bad. It cost 10 points but has the minimum number of skills to be that level of talent.

It would be a hell of a lot better at 5 points a level without mimic.
>>
For abilities that involve a quick contest but aren't built on Affliction (e.g. Mind Reading or Mind Control), what enhancements would give the user a bonus on their roll or target a penalty on their roll? I think Reliable would be valid for giving the user a bonus, but I can't find a "hard to resist" enhancement anywhere, and the description for those abilities doesn't say anything about it.
>>
>>52865918
Talent
>>
File: Pathetic.jpg (27KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
Pathetic.jpg
27KB, 600x335px
>>52862978
>If a template wastes 2/3 of total point limit on crap that is literally useless, that's not a problem
Also
>I can't make super below 300 points
>>
>>52868074
You can make a super at any point level. A low-class X-Men game could be 25/-50 and follow them learning to fight and use their powers.

Superheroes is more about the ability to take Exotic and Supernatural advantages then a point total.
>>
>>52868112
... which renders the whole "Low-end street-level supers are 300pts" a moot point and that's why I hate this sort of mentality. You don't need tons of points to make a strong character or a super.
You need to know how to spend them.
>>
File: imoutofhere.jpg (70KB, 736x616px) Image search: [Google]
imoutofhere.jpg
70KB, 736x616px
>>52868074
>>52868183
Bullcrap. Unless you take tons of disadvantages, you can't make a decent street-level super with so few points. That or you warp your super definition by so much that anyone with an exotic ability is considered a super (see >>52868112).

>If a template wastes 2/3 of total point limit on crap that is literally useless, that's not a problem
In GURPS, you trade specialization for power, i.e. more specialized you are the cheaper you cost in points. At a certain point, characters become horribly lopsided because they are over specialized. You avoid that by spending points on "crap that is literally useless."

On second thought, if you're so good at writing hyper efficient templates why don't you post some here? Better yet go post them on the SJG forums. Who knows, maybe they'll publish them. That or Kromm will push your shit in.
>>
File: ;3.jpg (85KB, 511x676px) Image search: [Google]
;3.jpg
85KB, 511x676px
>>52868470
>HURRRRRRRRRRR
>DURRRRRRRRRRR
Worse than the autist defending shotgun rules image
>>
>>52868470
I have a Brandenberger in my game who has about 40 points in useless shit, including building ships in bottles. In total he comes to around 300 points. The second highest player has about 45 points into cooking related skills, and 20 into useless knife skills he won't use because holy shit guns exist.

I find it's a pretty good way to make heroic, high point cost, realistic characters. Delta guys have hobbies in addition to their vast skills for the job.
>>
>>52868517

Is "autist" the cool new insult that overtook "retard"?
>>
>>52868615
Autists are retards mate.
>>
>>52851794
Does that actually do anything to push them back? Seems like they'd take the bit, but could still keep coming easily, same as if you'd just shanked them with your spear in the first place.
>>
>>52868713
Not him, but why would you need them to push back, if they are actively pressing on your weapon? They are dead the moment they try to attack.
Also, assuming the reach of polearms, even if they are (somehow) not dead, they are still outside their own effective reach, as they are impaled on the end of your stick.
>>
>>52868713
No. Basic Set doesn't have much on stop hit, but Martial Arts expand on it. Basically, if you didn't knock him away with your attack, your weapon is still in from of him. He either has to walk around or keep pushing. And unless his armor was strong enough to stop you attack completely (in which case you are fucked anyway) he is going to get a lot of damage.
>>
>>52868869
>Also, assuming the reach of polearms, even if they are (somehow) not dead, they are still outside their own effective reach, as they are impaled on the end of your stick.
I must have missed the rule about people getting actively stuck on impaling weapons. Where can I find it? It sounds cool as hell
>>
File: Capture.png (85KB, 452x388px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
85KB, 452x388px
>>52868953
MA106
>>
>>52869028
> Technical movement
Ah, that explains it.
>>
>>52869028
There's also an expansion on getting weapons stuck in people in Technical Grappling; if you choose to leave an impaling weapon stuck in your foe, you sort of establish a semi-grapple that you can leverage into a takedown or simply exploit to hamper your for as you beat down on them.
>>
>>52868869
>They are dead the moment they try to attack

Man, you don't want to count on a one-hit kill on armored targets when you are holding a thrusting polearm like a longspear or pike. Someone is going to tank the stop-thrust on a shield and get close where you get to learn the joys of being a guy holding a four meter stick in close combat.

Stop thrust is really good, but it's not perfect.

>>52868903
A stop thrust on a guy in heavy mail or something like it can hold him at bay. It's great if your target doesn't defend and he is alone.
>>
>>52864918
Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians explains why Outdoorsman is priced at 10 points. Survival is more than one skill, anon.
>>
>>52869641
I've always wanted to play a spearman in a game with TG. A combination of spear to the guts followed with a Force Postire Change sounds baller, though I'd need high point values to make it work.
>>
>>52864918
>>52870655
Though, also, Power-Ups 3 has alternative costs for talents, and using a slightly more complex formula than "m skills is 5 points, n skills is 10, o skills is 15" there is an optional revised cost of 7/level.

That said, Outdoorsman might be inefficient, but still, Naturalist, Navigation, and Survival (Though survival has a pretty good default from naturalist) are all top tier support skills, while the other skills are also pretty good.
>>
>>52851899
I would think that for new vehicles, if I wanted to play with the volume/cost/performance areas, it'd still be worthwhile. Do you have experience otherwise (compared with just making a new one)

Specifically with vehicles that don't exist today.
>>
File: comic299.png (205KB, 650x994px) Image search: [Google]
comic299.png
205KB, 650x994px
>>52869028
>>
>>52869989
Well, when the guy is armored, then your thrusting polearm by default is loosing its range advantage, but that's like saying low tech guns are bad, because they need reload.
It's entirely situational and you've jsut created a situation where thrusting polearms are useless - well-armored enemy
>>
How fine Supernatural Durability via drugs?
>>
File: 901.jpg (271KB, 816x639px) Image search: [Google]
901.jpg
271KB, 816x639px
>>52869989
Not him, but:
- you have a spear while your enemy has a sword or weapon of similar reach, so you out-reach him almost three times
- he must risk getting impaled/stuck/badly maimed to just close to you
- if he somehow gets close, you can just swing the spear blunt side on him (Martial Arts, hello!) and he's where he was, with minor damage/knocked on the ground
- if he's armored, you are fucked anyway, since your weapon can't damage him regardless
- if he has shield and it's 1-on-1, he's still fucked, because he just can't cover his entire body effectively, at best trying to pull shield bash (and exposing himself if it doesn't work)
>>
>>52872786
Put a Trigger limitation on it, and put "Shotgun blast to the back" as vulnerability.
>>
Has anyone here ever actually played GURPS
solo?
>>
I prefer games to either be full-on rules-as-physics or go to the opposite extreme so that the rules are just connected to broad success or failures in goals and specifics are described cinematically. Where players either make decisions as much "in-character" as possible, or where everything else comes in second to discovering what happens in a story that plays out as you go along. Games that try to fall in between usually leave a bad taste in my mouth.

As such, I like the IDEA of GURPS for the first category. But as I look through the rules, it feels like it would get really unwieldy. What's the lightest GURPS can be and still function?

Can it get B/X D&D levels of light (at least once you start playing, even if generating PCs takes much longer)?
>>
>>52871171
Somewhat related, since it's about pricing talents. Is there any reason, other than it being a sacred cow, why Magery is 10/level? It seems like it should cost more, since it benefits hundreds of spells.
>>
>>52875375

GURPS is much lighter than D&D in actual play, almost all rolls are 3d6 roll under.
>>
>>52875519
Old school D&D was much lighter than WotC-era D&D, so it sounds more like it's about even, but that's good to know.
>>
>>52875375
>What's the lightest GURPS can be and still function?

Use mostly Wildcard Skills.
Use the standard -10 to +10 Task Difficulty Modifiers.
Use the rules for "Buying Success".

---

The above suggestions are a solid foundation for a light and breezy GURPS campaign.
>>
>>52875375
>I prefer games to either be full-on rules-as-physics
Just curious, but how would you run one of those?
>>
>>52875742
What do you mean? That basically seems to be what GURPS is. All of the rules are for how to resolve characters' interaction with the world around them (as opposed to things like fate points where you make decisions out-of-character to expend resources your characters are unaware of, for instance). The rules are a way to simulate the rules of the world itself in-universe.
>>
File: average gurps fag.jpg (43KB, 307x309px) Image search: [Google]
average gurps fag.jpg
43KB, 307x309px
>>52868517
I'm not the one who won't provide proof when asked. You're "that guy" who is trying to stir up controversy by saying every GURPS writer, hell SJ himself doesn't know how to write templates. If anyone is the screeching autist, you are. The fact that you post ridiculous anime images like they're some sort of substitute for a well thought out argument is just gravy.
>>
>>52875742
Don't use the "buying success" mechanics.
Don't make x uses/y time period abilities.

Any mechanical decision the player would make, the character should be able to make that decision with the same information, in-universe.

If an ability works once an hour, the *character* also knows it works once an hour. It should make sense in-universe.

No hidden meta currency, no "scene editing", no highly abstracted mechanics that would take a lot of jumping through hoops to explain, like D&D hit points, D&D ability usage limits, etc.
>>
>>52875742
GURPS already takes all of it's default assumptions from physics and does it's darndest to make outcomes and rules as congruent as possible with real life, this is pretty evident if you look at the way falling and colissions work (that is, falling is really just another collision and is resolved using the same rules, except it assumes a special velocity and that the other target [the planet] doesn't take any damage). Of course it being a game and not an extremely detailed computer simulation run in a supercomputer, it doesn't always manage to, or eventually 'breaks' (that is, no longer simulates physics in certain scales), but I think it does a much better job at it than other systems, simply because it gives a damn about it. Of course, the optional rules that subvert these assumptions are extremely easy to apply, and are neatly labeled for your benefit, so it works perfectly if physics is not a concern for your game.
>>
What would be some good rule books to read up on if I want to get some nice rules on ship to ship combat in TL 4 or so? Low tech hardly helps much and neither does Basic
>>
>>52877904
Son, not even him, but with projecting skills like this you should open your own fucking cinema
>>
>>52879727
Spaceships. I'm not even joking; a captain ordering his crew to open fire is a captain ordering his crew to open fire, and this is true whether it's on the Santa Maria, the USS Virginia, or the Enterprise.

Vol. #7 might even have specifics on ocean-bound ships.
>>
>>52879727
>
".lu index boat"
Bannerjee-class 400-dton system defense boat, ISW210
Boating skill, DF2:5
Boats, DF16:19, DF16:22
hazards, DF16:29, DF16:32, DF16:33
shipwrecked, DF16:48. See Also Travel
Boats, patrol, HT241-242
Flying boats, HT235
Ice
boats, DF16:21. See Also Artic, Cold
Liners (boats), HT35-36
Skill
Boating, DF2:5
Standard 10-dton lifeboat, ISW202
Standard 30-dton ship’s boat, ISW202

>.lu index ship

Boats, DF16:19, DF16:22
shipwrecked, DF16:48. See Also Travel
Combat, DF14:33-34
inspirational leadership, DF14:33
Combat, DF2:10-12
inspirational leadership, DF2:11
Extraordinary craftsmanship, value of, DF18:5
Guilds
membership benefits, DF17:7-9. See Also specific guilds
Halfling Marksmanship Talent, DF3:14
Leadership skill, DF2:11
Seamanship skill, DF2:5
Skill
Leadership, DF2:11
Seamanship, DF2:5
Travel
shipwrecked, DF16:48. See Also Boats, Maps, Regions

.lu index sail

Age of
Sail, LTC2:35
Born Sailor Talent, PU3:13, PU3:23
Diagrams, sailing, LT141
GURPS, PU3:3, PU3:4
Supporting Cast: Age of Sail Pirate Crew, PU3:13. See Also Pyramid magazine, Transhuman Space
GURPS, PU7:3, PU7:4, PU7:15, PU7:22, PU7:27
Supporting Cast: Age of Sail Pirate Crew, PU7:34. See Also Pyramid, Transhuman Space
Sailboats, LT141-142
Sailing, against the wind, LT141
Sailor job, LTC3:48
TL4: The Age of Sail, LT6
>>
File: GURPS Mars.jpg (102KB, 468x626px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Mars.jpg
102KB, 468x626px
>>52879798
>makes bold claim
>refuses back up claim
>proceeds to roll out the standard ad hominems
It's actually pretty simple. He's just trying to create controversy by saying most templates waste "2/3 of total point limit on crap." Why? Because in his mind doing so makes him feel more intelligent. That or he's a troll who doesn't even play GURPS, which quite frankly is highly probable given where we are.
>>
>>52875395
No reason you couldn't except that IQ is 20 points and gives Per and Will and boosts all IQ based skills. One recent idea that's been getting popular is making Magery it's own stat that starts at 10, and changing all basic spells to be Magery/Hard|Very Hard instead of IQ based.This still makes Magery pretty useful, but it means you can't go a few levels of IQ and a few levels of magery to reach omni competence in Intelligence and magic.
>>
>>52881907
How do you fluff that? Do you not keep the stereotype that mages are smart people?
>>
>>52882318
I'd fluff it as magical power being separate from intelligence or wisdom. Some people are like roided out strongmen that can throw around extremely powerful spells, while others have the intelligence to study and develop new magic or to to understand complicated ritual magic and the nature of magic.

You could break it down terminology wise. Have Mage/Magi be a term like Doctor that denotes a complicated and complete magical education, while people without training get called sorcerers as a semi-derogatory term.

You could lock some more interesting/powerful spells behind an IQ requirement to reflect the need to understand them and keep IQ as useful for magic.

Or be a giant dick and make them cap by thamatology, and keep that as a IQ/VH skill.
>>
>>52880608
Have you at least notice that in this very thread anons pointed out the ridiculous inclusions, citing barbarian from DF as a most auditious example, or you had your head too deep in your ass back then?
>>
>>52882627
>Yeah, the poor barbarian is misunderstood. He's often classed as a "warrior" in casual DF writing because it's that or "sage," "sneak," or "spellcaster," and he's none of those. Also, he certainly is combat-oriented, just not combat-exclusive; his primary jobs are twofold:

>1. Being muscle for muscle's sake – lifting gratings, bending bars, lugging huge chests of loot, and pulling up four little buddies on a rope – as contrasted with muscle for combat's sake.

>2. Being the rough-and-ready outdoorsman – wrestling bears, swimming across ice-cold water, and clearing dire brambles with his bare hands – as contrasted with some sort of snooty druid or sneaky scout.

>Being strong and tough also makes him respectable at combat, and gives him a secondary niche as the guy who can, with the right gear and power-ups, deal out the single largest physical attack. However, this isn't a high-skill, low-prep scenario, but a medium-skill set piece.

>In modern terms, he's not armor (knight) or commandos (scout), or a specialist anti-something unit (holy warrior) or light infantry (swashbuckler), but more like some sort of combat engineers with armored dozers who can certainly plow stuff into the ground under fire but also drag around heavy loads and do work off the battlefield

This from Kromm.

Because apparently your reading comprehension is so fucked up you couldn't understand >>52864852.
>>
File: GURPS Imperial Rome.jpg (169KB, 550x714px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Imperial Rome.jpg
169KB, 550x714px
>>52882627
Really, you just seem to have trouble understanding what balance is or even if it is always desirable. PnP roleplaying isn't usually PvP. As long as everyone occupies a valuable and mutually exclusive niche in a campaign, it doesn't matter if Bob can kill more orcs than Jack. And your "useless crap" is useful. It gives the party flexibility. It widens scope of the campaign by increasing the range of challenges the players can meet. But seeing as you think it's all useless, I highly doubt you even play GURPS nevermind PnP rpgs. Honestly, these concepts are something even a novice GM would understand and that fact they're just flying over your head tells me that you just lack the experience.
>>
File: It won't move by itself.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
It won't move by itself.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>52882996
>Template has points alocated in useless stuff
>Prove it!
>Proved
>Doesn't matter, who said maximal optimalisation is required or even needed
>>
File: hellomyoldfriend.png (137KB, 559x603px) Image search: [Google]
hellomyoldfriend.png
137KB, 559x603px
>>52883197
I just said how your definition of "useless" was flawed. And you didn't prove anything. You just said stuff was useless. Someone else mentioned Outdoorsman was a somewhat useless talent (with which I agree) but you haven't done much other than post retarded images and greentext.

As an aside, how you can even play games if you won't approach them with good faith anon? Are you just that much of a faggot?
>>
File: 31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg (37KB, 643x427px) Image search: [Google]
31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg
37KB, 643x427px
>>52882627
That was me. Really it's not that the barbarian has bad choices, it's that 4 ranks of Outdoorsman is a a poor choice from the perspective of optimization.

My point was more that templates allow for these kind of point investments that work counter to aggressive optimization, as long as they are matched to other templates the players will pick from. Despite having 4 ranks in Outdoorsman the Barbarian is still a popular DF class.

>>52883197

Outdoorsman isn't useless, it's just worse then other options.

>>52882771

I find that it's quite funny that the Barbarian, despite being the classic big stupid strong guy archtype on the surface takes a lot of skill and care to use in play. You might be real tough but you can be worn down surprisingly fast. Waiting for the right moment and getting those powerful, high damage attacks in where they are most needed is hard.
>>
explain to me how turns work in GURPS, and how the unbalanced weapon statistic works.
>>
>>52883570
GURPS turns are very small (1 second) and you get one maneuver during your turn.

Maneuvers are things like moving your speed, attacking, readying a weapon, aiming a gun, using a Innate Attack or throwing a spell.

Unbalanced weapons are things like Axes. Armed with one you can attack, but if you do so you can't use that weapon to Parry an incoming attack until your next turn.

This makes Axes a little less versatile then weapons like swords that can attack and be used to parry in the same turn. On the other hand, axes tend to be less expensive and hit a little harder.
>>
Going to run a Western Horror Campaign. Anyone ever run this?
I made a video trailer for my players to help set the tone/mood of the campaign. It's something I will occasionally do for fun. Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndfamjxsP0A
>>
I'm trying to decide how to handle the Fallout 3/NV centaur as a monster in my game. Should I treat its tri-tentacle face-thing as three separate arms, or just one? How should I go about representing the latter?
>>
>>52884311
Trim it, maybe edit down to an important 30 seconds, with less rambling

Also, stop doing a bad Navajo lilt to your speech pattern. It's like the audio equivalent of blackface. Just talk normally

>>52885564
3 arms. No extra attack tho
>>
File: Centaur.png (365KB, 717x687px) Image search: [Google]
Centaur.png
365KB, 717x687px
>>52885564
For anyone that isn't sure what these handsome bastards look like..

I'd be tempted to go with treating it as one arm with three 'fingers' to keep things simple and avoid making them too good at grappling. You could also just treat it as a striker, given the tendrils aren't used to manipulate objects or grab things.
>>
>>52886399
But I want them to grab things >:)

I'm surprised a super mutie hasn't mounted a club or a bunch of spikes on one (or all) of the tentacles.

Imagine if they grappled the player and kept spitting in their face!
>>
>>52886450
Well then, Extra Arms (3 arms) is pretty cheap and gives quite a solid bonus to grappling. Keeping away from these monsters will become a very solid prioirty.

I think super mutants don't arm them much because Centuars are really, really stupid. They can be mostly taught not to attack super mutants but I don't know if you can give them anything like commands.
>>
>>52886560

Was there ever any question? The Fallout Centaurs are basically animals in regards to intellect.
>>
How does GURPS handle a "phylactery" Disadvantage?

The most common example of a being who's life-essence is tied to an object is the classic fantasy lich, but there is also Dorian Gray with his painting and constructs/golems who's ability to move around/function is contingent on a smaller sculpture in their likeness being intact.
>>
>>52887531
That's a good question. None of the lich templates from Fantasy, Magic, or Dungeon Fantasy seem to list anything about a phylactery (instead the lich has an intense need for mana!).

I'd say just make it up and assign a point cost that seems right. You have unkillable 3, and you coalesce at your phylactery, however once it's destroyed you're dead for good.
>>
>>52887531
Unkillable (Gadget, -X%)
>>
>>52887751
Have you seen Ghostdancer's lich template?
>>
>>52887856
>>52887751
>>52887531
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=117796
>>
>>52887751
>>52887770

How would you handle the "sympathetic injury" aspect? That is to say, if the phylactery/likeness were to be damaged, the character in question would receive proportionate damage (break a sculpture's arm and your arm is crippled, for instance).
>>
>>52887877
Ally (Sympathy, -50%) so -50% Sympathy on gadget? or buy as ally and Unkillable (granted by ally -40%)
>>
>>52887887

That limitation sounds familiar. Is it from the "Duplication" Adavantage?
>>
>>52887936
Ally, although Duplication might have it too. check Powers
>>
>>52887877
You could buy Unkillable 3 (Achilles's Heel "Damage to phylactery" [-30% to -50% depending on how easy the phylactery is to find]) for 105 or 75 points.
>>
>>52795686
How do Wildcard skills work and are costed?
>>
>>52888240
Bookmark for interest to check the answer when I wake up.
>>
>>52888240
>>52888439
B175
>>
>>52887494
Yeah, but not one of those clever animals you can almost have a conversation with like ravens or French-Canadian baristas.
>>
>>52888240
Honestly you're usually better off defaulting to neighboring skills. Wildcard costs a lot. Or getting a Talent. Or getting a high IQ or DX and buying all the skills for 1 point.
>>
>>52881907
I'm familiar with splitting Magery into it's own stat, and I do favor that idea, but I think Magery is a point crock at 10/level. There's no other talent that gives that kind of return. People complain about Outdoorsman being overpriced at 10/level, how about a talent that affects 800 skills for 10/level? Despite it being the original prototype for talents, it doesn't come close to following the established pricing for talents. I'm leaning towards using Sorcery, and scrapping Magery altogether.
>>
>>52886285
>Also, stop doing a bad Navajo lilt to your speech pattern. It's like the audio equivalent of blackface. Just talk normally

It's roleplaying, you know, like what you do when you play the game. Sure it's probably a bad voice act, but the entire campaign is going to filled with voice acting from npc's.

Your campaigns must be boring if you don't have that.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.