[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5E Exploding Dice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Would it be fun and how hard would the balance get fucked?
System is 5E
>>
>>52780269
On what? Damage Dice? d20 rolls?
Damage dice it could work, but only on something small, like Cantrips. Exploding Fireballs would just fuck everything.

D20 rolls... well, you'd have to arbitrarily replace all of that with a mathematically equivalent system so you don't have to spend 20 years fixing AC, DC, and all else, and derive new methods of determining what you roll from stats, either Step Dice or Dice Pool.

I refuse to believe that you could think an exploding d20 could possibly be balanced in 5e, no one is that retarded. Well, actually, yes there is, but I refuse to believe I could ever come in contact with them.
>>
>>52780530
Wouldn't really matter on a D20 as they're all binary rolls, it doesn't matter if you roll 15 or 1500.
>>
>>52780269
It would be a fun Magical Weapon (rare)
>>
>>52780837
True, in a RAW sense, but In practice the difference between the DC and the total number rolled is often used as to determine degree of success, due to the nat20/nat1 mindset.(telling a DM you roll 27 on a dc 15 roll will often make them exaggerate the result)

What exploding d20 does is, on a single roll, absolutely demolishes the bounded accuracy of 5e. The highest anyone is supposed to get in 5e at level 20, using every feature short of magical items, is 37. That's a level 20 Rogue rolling a nat 20 on an expertised skill with a 20 in the relevant stat. Exploding dice absolutely kills that, putting you in the 20-40 range on a single explosion.

Now, whether bounded accuracy was a good decision in the first place is up for debate, but anything that immediately breaks it in a system that depends on it is a bad decision.
>>
>>52780871
How would you explain the weapon in game?
>>
File: remove-chan.png (578KB, 1050x925px) Image search: [Google]
remove-chan.png
578KB, 1050x925px
>>52780269
>exploding D20
No. Just no. If it's not a dicepool system, exploding dice don't belong there.
>>
Exploding d20s would have exactly the same effect as making a 20 an automatic success, along with all the bullshit that goes along with that.

For damage rolls I can see it working better. Maybe a Sorcerer archetype that wields magic so unstable that sometimes it just blows the fuck up? Or maybe a specific spell whose entire gimmick is rolling shitloads of dice? Maybe a feat that gives certain weapons exploding dice?
>>
To see how Wizards is starting to experiment with anything akin to exploding dice, check out the Chaos Bolt sorc spell from the Starter Spells UA.
>>
>>52781408
Either a fractal weapon touched by Limbo and literally shifting into more blades or a dart swarm that comes in packs of 3-4 but multiply on each 4.
>>
Dear god no. Maybe on a single joke spell that would have low average damage compared to the rest of the spells at that level (3 maybe?)

eg

>Luzdaar's Lucky Bolt (3rd level spell)

>cast a magic bolt of chaotic energy that deals 1d12 damage on impact. If a 12 is rolled, roll another d12 and add it to the total damage of the spell. This effect can stack.

>If cast using a level 5 slot, the effect triggers on 11 &12. If cast using a level 7 slot, the effect triggers on 10, 11 and 12. If cast using a level 9 slot, the effect triggers on a 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Otherwise, it's a terrible idea. I hated it in Savage Worlds, and that's a system that's designed around it. Introducing it to DnD wholesale would mess so many things up it's not even funny.
>>
>>52782134
>Sorcerer casts twinned level 9 Luzdaar's Lucky Bolt

Someone do the math.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.