[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 48

File: Sorcerer.jpg (216KB, 869x490px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer.jpg
216KB, 869x490px
5th Edition D&D General

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Skill Feats:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52772909
>>
File: Archdevils.png (31KB, 483x359px) Image search: [Google]
Archdevils.png
31KB, 483x359px
Reminder that we will be getting stats for the archdevils, and they will almost definitely be in a Planar Handbook-style supplement
>>
What's tonight's shitstorm, Jerry?
>>
>>52780165
Took fucking long enough. I feel like 5e's really slow to produce official content.
>>
>>52780175
Well, that's not to say that they're going to be coming out this year. Just saying that they ARE coming.
>>
>>52780169
Paladins, Tieflings and halfbreeds and how they should be treated IC and if half-dragon is the most fucked up halfbreed
>>
Is Calimport just a bunch of dickhead Genie/Genasi slavers or can humans move around freely? I can't find if 5e has touched on this yet/
>>
>>52780169
Oddity races and how DMs just give them a pass even though they look monstrous and should cause some tension at time or be met with out right scorn.
>>
Should i buy Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
>>52780192
SOON (tm)
>>
File: 1405970636074.jpg (1MB, 850x1308px) Image search: [Google]
1405970636074.jpg
1MB, 850x1308px
>>52780169
Tieflings, Dragonborn and Half-Orcs should be killed on sight.

Objectively how racist are your campaigns /tg/?
>>
File: 1497443_orig.png (525KB, 435x721px) Image search: [Google]
1497443_orig.png
525KB, 435x721px
So l'm ditching standart background and race rules for my human only campaign. lnstead, my players will get:
>+1 in two stats of their choice
>a feat
>proficiency in any combination of five skills, tools or languages, as long as they don't pick five of the same type

ls this fine?
>>
>>52780227
Being in the Underdark, a mix of very and not at all.
If the party can use you, race doesn't matter.
If anyone sees the party, the combination of myconids, male drow, derro, and hobgoblins makes them often shot in sight.
>>
>>52780207
There is no broad answer to it though, it's circumstantial as fuck.

If say a tiefling fighter in full plate wanders into a village with his party flying the beloved kings colours no peasant in their right mind is going to fuck with him.

There's also that some places/people are accepting of exotic races and others aren't.
>>
>>52780227
Racist as fuck.
I set it up as a classic "The evil guys are racist aren't they bad" for the players who were very against racism. Orcs were slaves, halflings were barely a person, tieflings were illegals. Then I had them slowly realize that all those races were fucking monsters and it was for a good reason. The humans were reclaiming their lands and the other races refused to help during crisis after crisis.
>>
How can I write a backstory for a Shadow monk without it turning him into a weeb ninja?

I was thinking someone who wasn't charismatic to do business espionage so he got kicked out of his monastery as a start.
>>
>>52780195
The answer is yes, Dragonborns are objectively the worst halfbreed.

Look at how they come to be. Dragon fucks a human.

The size difference is the biggest fucking thing ever. The only reason some are alright is if their dragon ancestor can transform, but from what I remember, that's only Metallic.
So any Chromatic Dragonborns are fucking terrible.
>>
>>52780211
That's kinda up to you. if you feel like the adventures would be fun to run through go for it. I'm gonna be running Sunless Citadel with my group pretty soon, and all of the adventures seem pretty fun and updated.
Read through the synopsis of the adventures first and decide if you like the looks of them.
>>
>>52780227
>Objectively how racist are your campaigns /tg/?
I recently learned that apparently lizardmen are really not welcome anywhere in civilized society in the game I'm in. They live in some southern desert and go up north to pillage and raid so everyone's wary of them.

And my character's race, dragonborn, had warred with the others to gain a shitload of territory several decades ago, so some people are still sore about that.
>>
>>52780175
Isn't the team gutted down to like five guys?
>>
>>52780300
Dragonborn =/= Half-dragon
>>
>>52780232
All you really did was take away some of the RP crutches that less experienced players need. If your group are already great at establishing a real character its fine, but if they struggle whatsoever, i can't see any good reason to strip away backgrounds.
>>
A rogue hidden behind a wall uses their action to shoot enemies, then their Cunning Action to Hide again.

a) Does the attack have advantage?
b) How much do the enemies know with regards to the rogue?
>>
>>52780340
>a) yes.
>b) general direction, unless they are close enough .
>>
>>52780340
>a) Does the attack have advantage?
If the enemies couldn't see them, yeah.

>b) How much do the enemies know with regards to the rogue?
They probably know where the arrow came from, if they were paying attention.
>>
>>52780340
If the enemy didn't detect them, yes.

They know where the attack came from, because it explicitly reveals you unless you have Skulker and miss. They don't know if you stayed in that position or not, assuming you hid before any movement.
>>
>>52780227
Depends on where you go in the setting we're running.

generally though Tieflings are attacked on sight since up until 200 years ago infernals had never touched the world until a god destroyed a continent and there were demons all of a sudden.
Magic users in general are also looked down upon for being weak
>>
>>52780336
They're not new players and are kind of tired of backgrounds, to be honest, and l agree completelly. So they can fluff their characters the way they want and don't have to bargain for the right skills and etc.
>>
>>52780232
I think variant human + customizable background rules is enough. The fluff feature of the background is a nice touch.
>>
File: 1413236782648.jpg (2MB, 3564x2097px) Image search: [Google]
1413236782648.jpg
2MB, 3564x2097px
>>52780274
>Orcs were slaves, halflings were barely a person, tieflings were illegals. Then I had them slowly realize that all those races were fucking monsters and it was for a good reason.

Nice. Work in some metaphors about 'refugees' and rape and you'll be golden.
>>
Give me the best Mystic Disciplines for each Order, pretty please.
>>
>>52780385
As i said, that's fine then. I don't see a real benefit from taking them away, you don't need to "bargain for the right skills" because the backgrounds sections explicitly tells you to mix and match to form your own that fits, but it also doesn't hurt anything if your players don't rely on it for characterization and backstory elements.
>>
>>52780165

Mike Mearls seems gay as fuck, how long has he had that GAY PRIDE WORLDWIDE avatar?
>>
>>52780420
I can only say that Psionic Restoration is fantastic. Revivify without slots.
>>
>>52780449
He just wants to show you solidarity.
>>
>>52780266
>King starts using Tieflings and knighting them
>Opportunistic usurper to the Throne uses this to stir up the masses
>Convinces them the King is now a puppet of the devils

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, if you're following anywhere close to lore for the Tiefling race
>>
File: 1387713305322.png (124KB, 373x344px) Image search: [Google]
1387713305322.png
124KB, 373x344px
>>52780340
>Rogue pops his head up over the wall
>Enters LOS of enemy
>Enemy can now see them
>Loses advantage
>>
>>52780467
revivify without components.
>>
>>52780232
It's fine, but boring. If you're willing to put in the time, do something like this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0

Use this spreadsheet. Using it, make it so that you have a variety of human subraces, each of them worth fourteen or fifteen points. Then make a variety of backgrounds, each also worth about fourteen or fifteen points.

Let's assume that you have a group of people that live far to the north and have a strong magical tradition. This might look something like this:

Intelligence +2
Proficiency in Arcana
Acclimatized to cold weather
Choice of one wizard cantrip
Speaks Common and one other language

Now let's say that this was on the road constantly, trading with his neighbors to the south. His background would look something like this:

Choice of Constitution or Charisma +1
Proficiency and expertise in your choice of Deception or Persuasion
Proficient in Vehicles (Land)
Ignore nonmagical difficult terrain

Not a perfect system, but it's pretty okay.
>>
>>52780227
PoLand, so not really
>>
File: Capture.png (423KB, 461x436px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
423KB, 461x436px
>>52780336
>RP crutches that less experienced players need
Of all the things you guys get autistic about, this is the one I really have a problem with. It's totally possible for someone to make a tiefling or half orc that has an interesting personality. After playing through a dozen humans with x personality types maybe I want to introduce the aspect of xenophobia or I want some sort of combat advantage at the cost of something else. I would understand if the player is just going around like "Hey I'm a fucking dragonborn fear me," but sometimes it's fun to imagine a character who has a drastically different upbringing, culture, and proclivity than what you could expect from some human. If you want literally everyone to be human, dwarf, or elf then go play a Lord of the Rings game.
>>
>>52780340
c) would an attack on the next turn have advantage, and what is the least the rogue would have to do to get that advantage? (ie roll high on Stealth)
>>
>>52780606
Yeah, I've never really gotten some people's obsession with only having those three races, or even just humans, and disparaging anyone that dared deviate from it.
>>
>>52780420
>>52780467
What's the point of Mystics/Psionics what role do they fill, what do they excel at?
>>
>>52780606
Firstly, an all human setting still has diversity of culture, fuck pretty much every fantasy "culture" is LESS exotic than the strange ones on planet earth.

But the more important thing is that i was commenting on the Background mechanic, something designed to help new players ease into RPing a character, and forcing them to have some idea of what the character was before the campaign begins. Crutches aren't a bad thing, when you need them, you use them. When you don't, you stop.
>>
>>52780606
>It's totally possible for someone to make a tiefling or half orc that has an interesting personality

I do not deny this, the problem is most people can't make an interesting personality to begin with and then expect no draw backs for picking an odd race.
>>
>>52780673
>and then expect no draw backs for picking an odd race
Drawbacks?
>>
>>52780652
But sometimes you like to see how large of a step you can make or use them as stilts
>>
My DM is letting me chose any damage type for my Dragon Ancestor.

Are there enough spells that use Force other then Magic Missile or should I just take Lightning?
>>
>>52780691
>I want to be a Tiefling!
The race that is literally devil spawn? Sure, but you might draw negative reactions depending on who you interact with.
>RACIST!
>>
File: 1434942128837.png (30KB, 215x219px) Image search: [Google]
1434942128837.png
30KB, 215x219px
Looking for some opinions.

I usually play 3.5, but I had enjoyed the 5e playtest. When the Tales From the Yawning Portal came out for Roll20, me and my players jumped at the chance, figuring it would be a good thing to run on off days when a bunch of us happen to be around.

We've run five sessions so far, and just started the Forge of Fury, so characters are still just level 3. With that being said, I've been reading ahead on their notes on the later adventures, and one thing that struck me is how...vanilla combat is. While I've always enjoyed the variety of 3.5, it very quickly gets to be a burden to run, so I was hoping it would be a bit simplified...but it seems like they went to the other end of the spectrum.

Most monsters have a generic stat block modified by their racial stats, then between 0 and 2 abilities average, which while interesting, tend to be along the lines of "you get a free move" or "you do an extra die of damage". The functional difference between two monsters is often a matter of swapping a single ability, even if they're something as different as an extraplanar centipede and an orc.

Does combat get better in later levels? Low level combat in 3.5 is pretty bland as well, so I'm curious as to what more experience 5e players/GMs might think.
>>
>>52780707

Disintigrate is force.
>>
>>52780716
Hm, is it common for people to be upset about that? Nobody I know gets annoyed by things like that, and I'd think it'd give neat roleplaying opportunities.
>>
>>52780733
>+5 damage twinned disintegrate

Sign me the fuck up.
>>
>>52780739
I've had people throw racist around a lot at my table, but it's all jokes. We're all of the mind that those who need to throw around the minority card would suck as people regardless of their birth status.
>>
File: 1489986701074.png (25KB, 219x419px) Image search: [Google]
1489986701074.png
25KB, 219x419px
so if you have a theurge with the trickery domain and you hit level 14 you get Improved duplicity, does that allow you to actually use duplicity since that is technically a "upgrade" class feature?
>>
>>52780716
Tieflings aren't straight up devil spawn anymore
Someone in their bloodline got I N F E R N A L E D but majority of them aren't direct descendants of a devil
>>
>>52780691
The world reacting to them being said race, such as being shunned, mistrusted or outright hated. Some people actually get upset when that happens, even if you make it clear at the start.
>>
>>52780649
The mystic is to spells what a (bard/rogue I don't remember which one is worse) is to skills.
You won't be the best, but you can do it.
What, you ask?
Anything.
Want to wrassle with Tiamat?
The Immortal, as a master of body horror, can grow up to Huge and roid up an additional +5 to Strength checks and proficiency.
Sure, much like a swiss knife, you can get a better knife and a better scissor elsewhere, you can make a better build for that with multiple people, but the Mystic can patch almost any deficiency in your party.
>>
>>52780778
...You get the Duplicity at level 2. When you get to 14 it gets upgraded.

Duplicity is the Channel Divinity option for Trickster Clerics.
>>
>>52780175
Glut has killed multiple editions of this game.
I'm fine with a slow release rate, but if anything, I wish the GM's Guild was more open.
>>
>>52780649
at the stage were they are, they can fill pretty much every role and excel at nothing really, at least at high levels.

they are pretty much make your own class, choose your own powers/features with so little restrictions, every mystic might as well be a warlord-lite+secondary healer on top of whatever the fuck it wants to be. they can be blastery controllers, skill monkeys or several ranges of gish, fake martial, meat tank or real martials (with fake extra attacks) and not really scale at all past 9th level.

it's kind of funny how there's way more martial/melee combat support built-in in the current release, compared to caster-centric features for a int based classed.
>>
>>52780806
shit, sorry for being retarded.
>>
>make world
>elves have been mindless zombified due to a superweapon
>magical researchers (wizards and sorcerers) kill en masse for building the superweapon and bringing the world to ruin
>HEY DM CAN I BE AN ELF WIZARD!?
>>
>>52780739
It depends on who I'm playing with. It quickly becomes apparent what each person's political leanings are, and how serious they're being.

If someone is seriously acting like that I make sure to be relentless because it's a surefire sign for future greentext in a thatguy thread.
>>
>>52780824
That's alright. Everyone is sometimes.

It's worth noting that you can combine that with Mirror Image to have 7 copies of yourself whirling around you.
>>
>>52780798
>>52780812
Weren't Psionics Professor X style mind powers?
>>
>>52780227
My party was super racist against one homebrew race, because the antagonist is one of them, and it was one of the two only main non human race not represented by the party. Now that they added a member of said race, they are kinda getting more racist about the last one. To be fair, they are giant stag beetle/ pachyderm people with a love of necromancy.

World wide though, racism varies. Some lands, humans are lucky if they aren't enslaved. Others subjugate the rat folk to a heinous degree. Everyone tends to think of their own race as superior though.
>>
Best race for a melee Dragon Sorcerer? I know it's a meme build but flying around with twinned and quickened Shocking Grasps sounds fun as fuck.
>>
>>52780868
>To be fair, they are giant stag beetle/ pachyderm people
That's awesome, though.
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
>>52780868
>giant stag beetle/pachyderm

Some people have really weird fetishes.
>>
>>52780868
Do go on about this stagyderm antagonist.
>>
>>52780885
Halfu elf. Bonuses to dex, con, and change plus whatever other else you want thanks to the scag variants
>>
>>52780227
People are racist in it, but the universe is a big place.
>>
File: 1491355405703.png (11KB, 333x496px) Image search: [Google]
1491355405703.png
11KB, 333x496px
>>52780851
yeah i just wanted to check for my first character in 5e.

orphaned half-elf raised by a small olidammara cult. learns to beg/con/thieve. becomes enamored with magic after finding an aptitude in it. raids a mage college, steals spellbooks, cobbles them into his own own and basically practices magic as a kind of prayer to "change" which he feels olidammara represents.
>>
>>52780866
at some iteration but going by the history of the class, there was some new age, psychedelic bullshit added to the mix.

http://www.tribality.com/2015/08/20/psionics-part-eight/

you can read about the history of the class and its evolution through time here, i haven't gone through all of it because holy fuck 8 parts, but it's interesting nonetheless.
>>
Should I impose a penalty for trying to fire a bow while standing on someones shoulders?
The halfling is too small to actually shoot over most obstacles and the paladin has taken to hoisting them up onto things or putting then on their shoulders like a deadly piggy back ride
>>
>>52780939
>orphaned half-elf
Smart, playing it safe by making the most cliched character possible. I like it.
>>
File: no choice.jpg (10KB, 318x179px) Image search: [Google]
no choice.jpg
10KB, 318x179px
>>52780939
>his own own
>>
>>52780987
Disadvantage, but let them get a chariot if they become proficient with land vehicles in the long run if they want it.
>>
File: 67acc881176dd4832a41ef39eda08a87.jpg (424KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
67acc881176dd4832a41ef39eda08a87.jpg
424KB, 1920x1080px
Alright, i been lead into this thread to ask if you guys have any cool ideas that i can implement this is my first time dming any ideas for story would be great
>>
Is the simplest fix to Arcane Archer to max their arrows equal to Battlemaster Dice? Maybe Battlemaster Dice -1?
>>
File: Kuvald.jpg (68KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
Kuvald.jpg
68KB, 576x576px
>>52780889
>>52780892
Think Krogan i suppose? Stand about 7 feet tall typically, and live in a harsh desert climate. Humanoid with bulky builds and a large forehead crest. If you don't know better, you might assume their hard skin was chitin, and that they are descended from insects. In reality, they are more closely related to rhinos and elephants. They have redundant organs and nervous systems, alongside a specialized fatty insulation layer that has micro-filaments to adjust them for optimal heat or cold protection in the harsh desert.

Something like this, sorta? not this ripped though (usually)
>>
>>52780987
Depends. If they're in a fight then that means the paladin is going to be useless, because he sure as shit shouldn't be trying to swing a sword and dodge attacks with a halfling on his shoulders, not to mention ranged attacks have penalties against enemies which are within melee range, so how the fuck is the paladin supposed to get in range?

The halfling should probably be having to make dexterity checks to avoid falling off as well.
>>
>>52780993
yeah, i didn't want to write up a convoluted backstory so i kept it simple and decided to keep my character's development in the future. also, i kinda like the acolyte angle and the idea of non cleric/pally fanatics.
>>
>>52780866
They are, but the implementation and specialisation of each mystic allows for different things. The Orders are based around ideals:
The Immortals base their research and most of their brainpower making themselves as hard to kill as possible, hardening skin, growing huge, overloading nerves to archive mythic speeds and forcing regeneration (and healing and kickstarting the recently deceased).
The Avatars manipulate people. They read and manipulate emotions, be it uniting people under a banner or being a walking eye of terror.
The Awakened are Professor X. Mind controlling, breaking wills and frying your brain is standard fare for them.
The Nomads are Wikipedia. They collect info and connect to the Noosphere, the worldwide stream of consciousness where bits and pieces of what people know float, so a Nomad can browse and learn how to pick a lock in a few minutes after dreaming a tutorial on MysTube. On their quest for knowledge they travel a lot and are experts on moving fast, particularly teleporting around the battlefield.
The Soul Knives stab. That's what they do. They can do less stuff than the rest of orders, but are damn good at stabbing with their brainblades.
>>
>>52781037
I love it.
>>
>>52781040
It's happened a few times now, mostly so the paladin can move the halfling to a better position while moving towards the front himself.
They've only used him as a shooting platform exclusively once where the paladin couldn't physically reach the enemies since they were on the other side of a river
>>
>>52780786
Which is hilarious, that now that they're not just vaguely-infernal looking people, but flat-out look like devils, they're no longer devil-descent.
Though still not as funny as 'Half-Orcs were created by the incredibly powerful, highly advanced Hobgoblin Empire (stop laughing!) because we don't anyone thinking about rape.'
>>
>>52781037
I was thinking more like a leathery Stun but that works too.
>>
>>52781076
>actual half-devil can look more human that a 1/20 devil tiefling

THANKS D&D
>>
>>52781020
Have any ideas about what you're doing for setting, or any of that?
>>
>>52780914
Sorry if I was unclear. The antagonist is a different race. He is a Djinn. Not actually genies, they are humans born with a symbiotic magical parasite that lives in their skin. It appears like a unique tattoo, typically black, but other colors are possible. It normally shifts very subtly, and the tattoo is unique like a fingerprint.

Special mystics can predict the lives of Djinn with certainty by reading these markings, as they are tied quite closely with the strands of fate. Magic can influence this fate, making most people of the Djinn race some sort of magic user. While each mark is unique, they all share seven identical points, denoting something akin to the chakra points in Buddhism and yoga.
>>
File: 1458193786331.jpg (10KB, 250x218px) Image search: [Google]
1458193786331.jpg
10KB, 250x218px
>>52781020
They were dreaming the WHOLE TIME
>>
File: 1491850878266.png (56KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
1491850878266.png
56KB, 500x560px
>>52780405
/pol/ pls go
>>
>>52781020
For a political intrigue type maybe a Rakshasa is pulling the strings in a city. He manipulates everyone in order to control the city and sew anguish. Their ultimate goal is up to your discretion.

For something a bit more straightforward maybe a metallic dragon has stolen the kings prophet for fun and the party must reach him before a powerful general from a warring nation gets to him and uses his knowledge to crush them
>>
>>52781136
That's still pretty cool.
>>
>>52781020
Revolution/civil war.

Bonus points for getting the players to pick different sides.
>>
>>52780731
As a DM who has run games from 1st-14th levels, I say that the monster mechanical complexity in 5e does not match that of 3.5e creatures with similar CRs in most cases, but it is still decently complex with stronger creatures, especially the ones with lots of traits. However, because 5e is simple, there is lots of room for adding more complexity via homebrewing new features for a monster, and the simplicity allows for easier manipulation of multiple "different" monsters. I will warn you that modules may not give you the complexity you are looking for.
>>
>>52781081
Not familiar?
>>52781060
If you want, here is the racial trait for them. Not balanced against PHB, so be forewarned. They naturally make for great casters, as they don't need to shore up Dex, but you can say the same for barbarian or monk as well.
>>
>>52781182
just made me realize hobgoblins are the true /pol/ race.
>>
File: Kuvald Traits.png (76KB, 1001x577px) Image search: [Google]
Kuvald Traits.png
76KB, 1001x577px
>>52781269
>Didn't link cause I am a giant retard.
>>
>>52781253
Thanks. I'm going to give a read through the Monster Manual to get more familiar with examples of traits, see if I can't spice up the monsters a bit.
>>
>>52781020
Warlocks as pokemon.

Demons and devils train their champions to fuck other demon's and devil's champions, mainly for bragging rights.

But once a warlock gets too powerful, the patron tries to snuff the fucker out before the get too uppity.
>>
>>52781020

Can't think of cool ideas at the moment so I'll suggest a method if you want.

Start small. Make a village-wide problem that the players can tackle. A classic goblin nest tormenting the the village and its peoples to start with.

Then while this is happening, drop hints of a bigger overarching event thats enveloping the world. Like there's an evil empire waging war with kingdom your adventurers are in. Maybe the goblin nest near the village moved in the forests nearby cause the goblins are running away from the incoming war force.

This way you have a simple start-up idea for players to deal with and you, as the DM, don't have to worry about the details for now but still hint on a bigger picture your players are in. As the campaign goes, it just zooms out and you can add locales, cities, etc. and it'll come in naturally. Of course, not to say preparing isn't the way to go. Go ahead and draw a rough draft of your map or go full-ass and finish up a map.
>>
Anyone have cool ideas for a Character that serves a Dragon? I'm thinking of playing a Kobold but I'd consider anything.
>>
>>52781278
Neato.
>>
>>52781020
Insane? masked cleric that may actually be the god he represents. Don't actually come out and say it. Leave it nice and ambiguous, so the party gets paranoid.
>>
>>52781317
I'd go with kobold, but I'm biased.
>>
>>52781020
Make the concept simple, like "evil warlock has taken hold of town, go stop him," but make it progressively more complicated and convoluted. Ask yourselves questions like
>"why did the warlock want to take over the town?"
>"what is the warlock doing?"
>"why hasn't the warlock already been defeated?"
As you answer more questions, the enemy becomes more interesting. I used the example above to create a devil-loving warlock who is trying to use variant forms of lycanthropy to transform himself into a devil, and is using the town as a source of test subjects for his latest "augmentation theories." For protection, he has a bunch of werefolk under his control and a giant wyvern werehuman to kill things that try to kill him.

For even more interesting things, make the subminions have goals too. Perhaps some of the werefolk under his control don't want to be under the warlock's control and are willing to try and help the party.

tl;dr start simple and progressively make the concept complicated, then tell your players the simple concept and have them see for themselves how complicated it gets
>>
>>52781278
So, would a barb of this race use con*2 for AC?
>>
>>52781317
lizardfolk warlock that serves an infernal dragon
or, dragonborn
>>
>>52781363
Yeah, I'm still feeling it but Mechanically it's not really a good fit for what I want.

>>52781377
I was planning to go Sorcerer over Warlock, just with fluff similar to a Warlocks.

I am tempted to play a Dragonborn but I know nothing about their lore and from what I've heard it's pretty shit.
>>
>>52781317

As a child, your nomadic clan has brought you a life of moving to and from around the world. Your home was wherever your clan was until one day a warlord of orcs came down and pillaged your entire clan. Before they could take the killing blow, a passing dragon happen to come by and blow the fuck out of the orcs and whoever is in it. As a child with such simplified thinking, you saw this dragon as a savior. All you remember was this dragon being <insert skin color here> and one of the orcs yelling <dragon name> so after all the turmoil when the dust settled, you feel like you owe yourself to this dragon for living even, in reality, the dragon gave two shits about you and just saw this as an opportunity to fuck up orcs and grab their loots.

Now as an adult, you've done everything in the name of this dragon so much you want to seek out your savior. You practically consider him a god. You think everything happens for a reason and these reasons were bestowed by this dragon-god.

That's all I got.
>>
>>52781399
I actually like that, I like that a lot. Hm, maybe I should just use that and go for a Human.
>>
>>52781391
I'll be honest, the lore is what you make of it.
>>
File: StunAnimalBRX.jpg (358KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
StunAnimalBRX.jpg
358KB, 1200x1600px
>>52781269
This dude.
>>
>>52780165
>Planar Handbook-style supplement
So placescape setting hopefully with final versions of mystic and artificer.
>>
File: otTPLEC.jpg (327KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
otTPLEC.jpg
327KB, 1920x1080px
Corrupted White Dragon that is basically The Thing.

What kind of powers will it have? Arms to grab? Eating people?

It'll look like the Gaping Dragon.
>>
>>52781278
Different anon here, I love the concept, though I will say it's a little strong, especially if it goes Barbarian and double-stacks CON for Unarmored Defense AC. Perhaps switch one of the features to a noncombat feature to balance out the power.

A level 20 Kuvald Barbarian with a shield can get 26 AC without any buffs.
>>
>>52781020
I'll share an encounter concept I've worked up. A green hag inhabits the mill of a medium sized village. She steals a bunch of the food from the town so that everyone is a bit hungry. The Hag kidnaps children, feeds them tons of meats, cheeses, and sweets till they get nice and fat then eats them. She then grinds their bones in the mill and bakes them into bread and sells the bread back to the village.

You get the full flavor of a hag infestation while also touching on a bit of hansel and gretel/jack and the giant beanstalk stuff.
>>
just had an issue come up at the table. if a sorcerer uses a spell like thunderwave or sword burst and distant spell does it increase the radius it effects?
>>
>>52781439
It's main attack is picking people up and stuffing them in its mouth.
>>
File: 1487121393450.jpg (72KB, 479x479px) Image search: [Google]
1487121393450.jpg
72KB, 479x479px
>get talked into playing dnd again for the first time since middle school.

>ask dm (whom supposedly plays dnd all the time) how feats work in 5e.

>after looking it up in his phb, he states that only humans can get feats

>that sounds fucktarded, i look it up

>have no idea whose ass he pulled that out of

this is going to be "fun". tips for dealing with a dm that cant be assed to read his own books?
>>
>>52781473
Can't double a range of self.
>>
File: goblin-generals.png (201KB, 500x238px) Image search: [Google]
goblin-generals.png
201KB, 500x238px
>>52780227
I think the party is going to start stirring up some anti-gnomish sentiment in the town in order to achieve their political ends.

The best plan they have on the table is to unite the "monstrous" races on the island (goblins, kobolds, gnolls, a dragon, and sharkmen) in order to overthrow the gnomish mercenary fleet that has taken over the island's major settlement. They just asked for Dwarvish backing in exchange for help retaking a hold.

I have no idea how they would get the "monsters" to agree to that, or what they would do after their little revolution. Two of them have been named prophets of the kobolds, so they could leverage that if they can get the dragon to abide.
>>
File: 1339199957363.jpg (150KB, 400x635px) Image search: [Google]
1339199957363.jpg
150KB, 400x635px
Is the Warforged in the Eberron UA the most up to date one? Are there any good homebrew versions out there?
>>
>>52781502
Start ass pulling right back, then forcing him to prove you wrong
>>
>>52781444
>>52781371
Never even though of that. I guess I'd just reword to prevent the double stacking. You could also replace it with ac 12+ con while unarmored. A bit weaker than similar racial or class features, but reduces MAD.
>>
>>52781504
https://astranauta.github.io/spells.html#sword%20burst

Alright Thunderwave doesn't work but Sword Burst has a Range of 5ft.
>>
File: 1489110651557.jpg (442KB, 923x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1489110651557.jpg
442KB, 923x1600px
I've been somewhat inspired by Nier and wanted to make two living construct races; One which would be more human like in appearance where they require to eat and sleep to maintain good health and another where they general exist in a sort of "cloud" if they are killed but every time they "die" their minds become more and more damaged everytime but they can download themselves into more mechanical bodies.

The idea is they are stuck on a planet after a massive colony ship carrying the sleeping humans crashes and all the humans die off. The human like constructs were essentially caretakers and the machine like constructs workers and builders.

Over time they have formed their own societies and religions with many machine constructs prescribing to a religious belief that the human looking constructs are blasphemous for wearing the appearance of their gods.

The various fey, demons, celestials, ect are remnents of various magic AI that was originally apart of the colony ship they came from.
>>
>>52781424
Kinda. No wings, and not quite so clearly insectoid. Muted browns and beige skin tones. Thanks for the pic though
>>
>>52781502
explain to him that the feats are meant to be substituted for the ASI at levels 4, 8, ect...
>>
File: mymap.png (536KB, 1446x1210px) Image search: [Google]
mymap.png
536KB, 1446x1210px
>>52781119
Its just a basic map and i plan on having a antagonist thats like a death knight be the main villain
>>
Do you guys make world maps for your games? I wanna build a campaign for my soon to be group and I think this might be a good starting point.
>>
>>52780296
Dude, Weeb Ninja is the way to go. My character always talks about honor and does naruto-esque handsigns to cast my spells. My quarterstaff is a three section staff, and I throw kunai instead of darts and I run at a 90 degree angle and everone at the table loves it and I have so much fun.
>>
>>52781549
Map out a village and the surrounding area first. Or just toss together a blank world map, and zoom in.

Give no detail except broad strokes to everything not involved in each session.

Be lazy, but efficiently lazy. Get what you need, but don't waste time.
>>
>>52781514
sounds about right.

just to vent, have some other gems of wisdom

>"I don't get why you would want to multiclass..."

>"The only reason to play cleric is to heal."

>"Why would a caster want stealth?"

>>52781544
i'm going to, just amazed is all.
>>
>>52781520
Different Armor Calculations do not stack.
You could make clearer wording though, to emphasize that its a separate armor clac.
>>
Whats a good class to run with these stats?

Str 15
Dex 16
Con 9
Int 16
Wis 5
Cha 10
>>
>>52781580
Fighter.
>>
>>52781549
A world map is the first thing I did. That way you have an idea of what kind of shit might happen regardless of where the advemturers choose to go
>>
>>52781580
Eldritch knight
>>
>>52781580
wizard, mystic, rogue.
>>
>>52780315
I think it is more like 10 with a handful of people who work on MtG helping out sometimes (thus the Plane Shift UA for example).
>>
>>52781596
this is what i thought of initially and what I might end up going with if nothing else piques my interest

>>52781602
where can i find the 5e stuff for this? It's not in the phb as far as i can tell

>>52781603
dont rogues usually need good perception?
>>
>>52781618
look under fighter.
>>
File: 1438315121167.jpg (29KB, 600x757px) Image search: [Google]
1438315121167.jpg
29KB, 600x757px
>>52781485
>>52781439
This is what I have so far, its still missing a breath weapon attack. Keep in mind the party is all level 10.

>Multiattack – Dragon makes three attacks, which can be either headbutt or claws.
>Claws – 2d6+6 slashing +11 to hit
>Headbutt – 2d10+6 bludgeoning +11 to hit
>Frightful Presence – DC 14 Wisdom
>Eat – Grappled target is eaten takes 4d10 damage and is restrained/blinded inside dragon, if dragon takes 30 damage from inside it must succeed on a DC 18 con save failure means it regurgitates target. Takes 6d6 acid damage per turn it is swallowed.
>Legendary Actions:
>Charge (2) – Dragon charges 30ft forward DC 20 saving throw if it fails by 5 or more it is knocked prone. 3d6+8 bludgenoning, 6d6+8 if prone
>Acid (1) – Sprays acid 360 in 30ft radius does 2d10 acid damage and degrades non magic equipment, DC 15 CON save to take half
>Arm grab (1) – Reach 20ft +11 to hit, 2d10 dmg, target is grapped DC 15, if Dragon has target grappled can eat.
>>
>>52781622
cool thanks, any suggestion on race?
>>
File: 1454524295890.jpg (51KB, 404x599px) Image search: [Google]
1454524295890.jpg
51KB, 404x599px
>>52781580
Muscle wizard
>>
>>52781577
Personally, I think it's only a problem for barbarians. I think it works well to make strength monk an option, as well as allow for a caster to dump Dex by sacrificing a relevant casting start increase. It's homebrew. Adjust as desired.
>>
>>52781627
You can play with the idea that it is gluttenous. Maybe it only has room in it's stomach for two medium creatures but it keeps trying to eat. If it successfully swallows a third ot regurgitates one of them at initiative 20
>>
>>52781634
generic half-knife ear and varianthume are king imo, stats bonus stats and feats are really valuable.

plus you will already have half most of the profs you want.
>>
>>52781634
High Elf, to boost your dex and int higher. Or Human for the same.
>>
>>52781663
>>52781671
thanks for the suggestions dudes, the dm i'm with is pretty hardcore so min maxing really helps staying alive
>>
>>52781618
>>52781596
>>52781602
>>52781671
> 9 CON
> suggest fighter
>>
>>52781618
>don't rogues need good perception
Not at all. You just need good dex
>>
>>52781699
shhhh
>>
>>52781523
Imho that should probably be range of self. But RAW range is now 10ft
>>
All character with less than 12 CON should literally kill themselves.

14 CON minimum for pure martials.
>>
File: .facebook_1492580835343.jpg (145KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
.facebook_1492580835343.jpg
145KB, 1024x768px
>>52781549
I made this map for my game. Sky pirates and flying islands. It's been a blast.
All related stuff.
>>52781136
>>52781037
>>52780868
>>
>>52781699
>>52781709
>>52781718

maybe an arcane trickster then? thats a rogue archetype right?
>>
>>52781523
>Spellsniper Sorcerer

20ft AoE Cantrip. Any other ways to make this bigger?
>>
>>52781699
>>52781683

Grab Human to bump that shit CON up to neutral ASAP.
>>
>>52781699
Archer still works. Don't need Con if you don't get hit. Might need the mobility feat
>>
Has anyone played as the UA Artificer yet? How is it? Is the gun as fun as it looks on paper?
>>
>>52781659
I like it. They'll need the help if they get 3 members swallowed after all.

I decided to copy the green dragons acid breath.
>>
>>52781732
Enlarge self first. 5/20 ft from where your occupied spaces end.
>>
>>52781523
to be very painstakingly clear:
Range: Self --> Nothing happens.
Range: X ft --> (2*X) ft
Range: Touch --> Nothing happens.
>>
>>52781741
It's a bit dull and overwhelming, really. Just hope your DM gives you a lot of leeway when it comes to making magic items.
>>
>>52781749
>Range: Touch --> Nothing happens
Someone doesn't know what Distant Spell says.
>>
>>52781725
Arcane Trickster would be great. Preferably you'd have better Con but it can work. Just focus more on ranged combat.
>>
>>52781735
> implying enemy won't fireball you
> implying enemy won't dash or flyby to you
> implying enemy won't range attack at you
> implying enemy won't breathe weapon on you

Enemies got ranged option too.
>>
>>52781725
That's better. Utilize a lot of hide so you won't get hit.
>>
I want my next character to be a paragon of hope and shit.

I kinda want to feel good with myself so this will probably help
>>
>>52781761
>inplying they can't do that to any low Con character
Don't be obtuse

Might as well say never be a wizard because with your d6 hit dice you're just gonna get murdered at any range
>>
>>52781732
Spellsniper sadly doesn't work with Sword Burst.
>>
What's the over-under on making a Revised Ranger except focusing on Strength? Looking at it, it doesn't seem like there's any active detriments. You'd have to focus on melee, and use axes or javelins for any ranged stuff. Just getting a 14 in Dex should be enough for AC, right?
>>
File: lelves.jpg (22KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
lelves.jpg
22KB, 300x269px
>he worships pelor, heironeous, or a racial god
>>
>>52781580
Mountain Dwarf Barbarian with shield

Your AC is immediately 15 at level 1, which isn't horrible.

Dump your first ASI into a cross of Str and Con.
>>
>>52781747
Can't you just ride a mount or something?
>>
>>52781580
>>52781618
>>52781725
the low WIS hurts for finding traps and scouting, but Arcane trickster is a pretty solid option for that stat distribution.

If you need a reason just say your family taught you the trade but you always preferred to have your head buried in a book. You learned how to be sneaky just fine but never bothered with learning about traps and whatnot. You were too busy learning about wizards and magic in old tomes and fairy tales.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>52781813
>xir worships Corellon
>>
File: rune.jpg (72KB, 389x567px) Image search: [Google]
rune.jpg
72KB, 389x567px
What kind of Frost themed powers do you think a Frost Giant would get if they stabbed themselves with this Wondrous item?

Something like:

>As a reaction you can avoid one melee attack and turn into frost vapour re-appearing 30ft away
>Immunity to one spell/attack per long rest

etc
>>
>>52781809
Rangers are as good with Strength as a Paladin with Dexterity. They're slightly worse but nothing major.

You'll have slightly worse AC and skills but you can instead be making a lot of GWM attacks per round so it's good. I play a Bugbear STR Deepstalker and getting 3-4 Advantage attacks on the first round of combat with GWM is awesome.
>>
>>52781803
Wizard has shield, mirror image, blink or blur. They also usually has 14 con.
>>
File: level 30 wizard.jpg (37KB, 442x423px) Image search: [Google]
level 30 wizard.jpg
37KB, 442x423px
>>52781833
>>52781813
>they worship boccob
>>
File: expectations.jpg (80KB, 512x266px) Image search: [Google]
expectations.jpg
80KB, 512x266px
>>52781847
>Everyone has 14 Con
>>
>>52781839
I think he'd have the powers listed under the item description and a small stab wound.
>>
File: why.png (13KB, 281x200px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
13KB, 281x200px
>they worship Ao
>>
>>52781883
>I can't think for myself

I sure hope you never try running any of the less railroady adventures anon, they require actual input.
>>
>>52781880
Concentration check brah.
>>
>>52781846
Radical. I wanted to make a Half-Orc Ranger for aesthetic reasons, and now it seems like it'd work just fine.
>>
>>52781847
Fighters have heavy armor and access to more feats. An archer with sniper is going to be pumping out tons of damage. Throw in mobile and mage slayer and you can take care of most shit
>>
>>52781922
Definitely good. I'd recommend either Hunter, Deepstalker or Primeval Guardian.

Take GWM at level 4 and if you go Hunter take the one that gives you an extra attack against an adjacent enemy. Getting another hit is amazing for someone who will be hitting as hard as you.

Unless your DM is cool and lets you take Great Weapon Fighting, I'd suggest Mariner Fighting Style for +1 AC and the Climb and Swim Speed
>>
Should an Arcane Trickster take a secondary role in combat? The rogue in my party feels like semi-dead weight and the things he does with his illusion spells hardly bear fruitful results. I tell him a rogue is balanced around Sneak attack which he should maintain but he insists that an Arcane Trickster is more of a supportive role using his magic tricks to help the party.

As a DM, I think he has full right on how he uses his character. It's his character, after all, but at the same time I can't help but think his methods feel the least effective out of the party. He forgoes Sneak Attack opportunities cause he doesn't want to be in the thick of battle, for example. I guess it's not a big deal cause we have 2 champion fighters who deal damage but still, I think he underestimates just how much damage he can do.
>>
File: pots.jpg (13KB, 314x175px) Image search: [Google]
pots.jpg
13KB, 314x175px
>he worships olidammara
>>
>>52781839
Granting legendary resistances would be cool. Every time they are used, do the cool frost teleportation.

Immediately at the start of a fight: Turn the entire floor and walls icy, Str or Dex save to escape your shoes being frozen to the floor. Dex saves to not fall down on the ice.
>>
>>52781964
give him a dang crossbow
>>
File: gianteagle.png (286KB, 411x517px) Image search: [Google]
gianteagle.png
286KB, 411x517px
Say I take either gnome or halfling as my race, and Artificer as my class. At level 4 I take the Mounted Combat feat. At level 6 I choose a Giant Eagle as my creation. Can I mount that Giant Eagle and get 80ft flying speed? RAW yes? What about in your game, would your DM gimp it?
>>
>>52781502
I'm sure he meant (at level one) (v)humans are the only races who can get feats.
>>
>>52781916
>I'll use an item, but won't actually use it's properties! Genius!
>>
>>52781580
None. This stat line is a mess.
>>
Do you have a second to talk about our Lord and Savior Tiamat anon?
>>
>>52781964
If you can't encourage him to play his class the way it's designed to be played, consider giving him a magic item that fits the style of play that he appears more interested in.

Give him something that boosts enchantments and illusions and makes him a sneaky support guy.
>>
File: Good ol oily.jpg (38KB, 200x242px) Image search: [Google]
Good ol oily.jpg
38KB, 200x242px
>>52781967
>he doesnt want to go to the eternal party at winesong estate

pleasu gulag urself famrade
>>
File: Thrawn_appreciating_art.jpg (33KB, 764x430px) Image search: [Google]
Thrawn_appreciating_art.jpg
33KB, 764x430px
>They worship The Red Knight
>>
>>52781997
giant eagle isn't very practical for interiors and its not gonna be great when your gnome gets knocked off mid flight
>>
>>52781565

Maybe. I might go more Phantom Thief instead though, over Naruto. I can probably get away with wearing a mask right? The only question is, what animal?
>>
>>52781935
> heavy armor
Won't protect you from AoE. Wizard at least has absorb element.

> archer sniper is going to be pumping out tons of damage
At 120ft range wih hand crossbow. Dragon can easily move into position and breath you

> mobile and mage slayer
If you are archer, the only real benedit you get from mobile is 10ft move speed. And only second benefit of mage slayer.

Also you aren't counting archer tax feat like SS and CE. Seriously you sound like someone whose DM has his kiddy gloves on. Not utilizing enough special effect or combat option on monsters.

Even at low level, he could easily surround the archer with swarm of goblin and spam grapple or shove with help action.
>>
>>52781964
Remind him that
A) If he wanted to be an illusionist he should've been a wizard
B) He can sneak attack at range
>>
>>52781580

>Str 15 AND Dex 15

Ew. Especially with 5 Wisdom.

EK fighter or AT Rogue I guess.
>>
>>52781980
>Immediately at the start of a fight: Turn the entire floor and walls icy, Str or Dex save to escape your shoes being frozen to the floor. Dex saves to not fall down on the ice.

I like it.
>>
>>52781721
Your rivers and land masses disgust me beyond belief. Brenzik is the only part of the map that's even salvageable.
>>
>>52782042
You have a bad gm if he has goblins stacking up grapples. Maybe he has to because he has shitty minmax players like you. I'd probably just kick your autistic ass out of my group
>>
>>52781962
It's nice to know that two-handed Ranger is pretty viable. I may end up just going with a Longsword and a Shield, though, even if it's sub-optimal. My last character was a GWM Fighter.

I'm glad that 5e lets you do a little bit of creative building with martials.
>>
>>52781037
Can we see the racial modifiers I would like to see them all. Also is that a Guyver suit?
>>
>>52782125
Ignore my post...
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 183x275px
>>52782078
That is the go to strategy for my City Guards to deal with uppity adventurers.

Oh, gag and bind the wizard while they are at it.

Rushing into a goblin den or helping cause a riot have consequences. And sometimes those consequences involve running a train on the adventurers.
>>
>>52782002
Any non giant will get those properties.

The theme I'm going for is corruption. By turning evil and attempting to absorb its power the Frost Giant King has become stronger but also mutated.
>>
>>52782097
Sword and Board? I've actually had a build idea for that going through my head for Beastmaster.

Take a Stirge to fly directly over your space and also Sentinel. You can both attack for 3 hits per turn all up, plus with a Shield you'll have good AC to protect and if they attack the Stirge you get a free hit in.

Plus you can do some weird, kinda RAW abusing stuff with a Stirge's drain.
>>
File: elf wat do.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
elf wat do.gif
2MB, 640x360px
Sparing the "of your entire time as a GM/player" stories, how about some of the shenanigans that's happened in your games in recent memory? Like a month or so.
>>
>>52782145
Except 10 INT goblins aren't going to metagame to stack grapple and help to shut down an archer. Also they have to get past the tank and caster to do that anyway so it doesn't seem a winning strategy.

Point is a low CON fighter is an extremely viable class. Shit, you could even frontline sword and board using Champion with defense and duelist and the shield master feat plus DEX resilience. You'd be very hard to hit and nearly immune to DEX based spells
>>
>>52782159
That I can work with.
Legendary actions.
Use sleet storm as a cost 2 legendary action, freeze the ground for difficult dex save terrain with a spike growth effect to represent ice spikes poping up trying to stab the characters, and there is a mystic discipline that makes an ice exoskeleton for a bunch of tempHP add something lile that along with a weakness to blunt and it'll be fun.
>>
>>52782177
Your math seems completely off here
>>
>>52782266
Whenever you attack it can use a reaction to make an attack. You have 1 Attack, on it's turn it makes 1 Attack, when you Attack it can make 1 Attack. 3 Attacks.
>>
>>52782285
I thought you meant 3 attacks each. So 6 total
>>
>>52782297
Oh god no.

The real bullshit RAW thing I'm pretty sure works is a bit weirder though.

On the Stirges turn it uses it's attack and attaches to the Target, then uses 5 feet of movement to hop off.

Your turn comes around and you make 1 Attack on a target and your Stirge uses it's reaction attack. It attaches to the target but doesn't hop off. 3 Attacks now.

If anyone attacks the Stirge or triggers an Opportunity Attack in any other way you get an extra attack here.

Then at the start of the Stirges turn it drains blood and hops off without using an action so it can still attack. They have never said that a Stirge can't hop off the target early, only that they normally won't. So you can basically get an extra attack in with Blood Drain.

Also I kinda wonder what the hell happens RAW if you use Storm of Claw and Fangs on a Stirge.
>>
>>52782248
>an ice exoskeleton for a bunch of tempHP

Something like

>(1) A frozen exoskeleton shields your entire body gain 20 Temp HP, absorbs all damage then shatters, damage does not carry over.

That'll slow down their action economy.
>>
>>52781997
Looks like RAW yes. I'd allow it, but it's not likely to be as useful as you'd think - as a construct you've made while a relative novice, it wouldn't handle struggling loads all that well, so the usual druid's giant eagle drag-and-drop combat strategy will cause you to have a Bad Time. It's also slow as hell on foot, so if it can't fly where you are it's not going to be much use - no talon attacks while walking. So if you get into fights indoors it's going to be less than good. Since it can't carry any more than just yourself either, it's not much good for out-of-combat travelling (though it would give you the Ranger's inability to get lost in whatever terrain, since you can scout the surrounding area quite easily). Mounted Combatant also doesn't really save you from being dismounted, which with a flying mount is probably bad.

My Artificer took an Aurochs as his. We broke down a castle gate with it. It was not a Bad Time. Also, it pulled the wagon when we were travelling while not being likely to get dead of things, which was handy more than once.
>>
File: Goblin Cavaliers by DiTerlizzi.jpg (205KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Cavaliers by DiTerlizzi.jpg
205KB, 500x380px
>>52782221
Point.

First, they'll take out the spell casters. Any beings with intelligence high enough to understand what magic is will prioritize spellcasters. Goblins should be more than intelligent enough to focus fire on the adventurer with the weakest defenses.

Fighter is a fine option. And dogpiling PCs is a valid monster tactic.
>>
>>52782350
Technically it says they don't detach until they drain 10. Also it can be assumed they can't drain any more until they digest the blood. Both would be DM rulings
>>
>5e is only combat
bad DM
>social encounters
>traps
>environmental hazards (ever travel through the astral plane? Pandemonium?)
>politics
>mystery
>roleplaying
>downtime activities (the UA is great)

It's all about how the DM designs the dice rolls. Create tables, give them relevant skill checks, play out the results. Few rolls, make it fast and fun.
>>
>>52782416
>forgetting puzzles and riddles
>>
>>52782466
>pure meta game encounters
No thank you.
>>
>>52782466

Are stovepipe hats objectively superior to traditional wizard hats?
>>
>>52782398
Still seems like metagaming to have a 10 INT creature using a bunch of grapple/help to take down an enemy unless they are trying to capture it, especially since goblins would probably be more inclined to use nets in that instance. Either way they'd have a tough time taking down a fighter that way when they'll need 2 of 6 trying to out grapple/shove something with much better STR and ability to make multiple grapple checks a turn
>>
>>52782466
I actually avoid pure meta game challenges, because you've stopped playing D&D at that point.
If I present a puzzle, it's for somebody with an INT roll to figure out. Then a boulder rolls down a hallway and the Rogue gets a dex save and the Barbarian grits his teeth and stops it with the manliness of his face and the Bard dies.
>>
>>52782416
>Best use of the wizard
>Fireballs, or
>Determining what is or isn't magical

Man, when the new UA for Skill-based feats dropped, and I saw that the Arcana one involved free Detect Magic, I got a little angry.

Arcana should be analogous to knowledge of physics, even theoretical physics. It should not tell you when something is powered by batteries.

>>52782476
>Not using character skills to get hints
>Not tying the puzzles to in universe religious symbols

The only time metagaming should come up is when discussing party composition at the start.
>We'll need a rogue
>Why? We are just doing a caravan guarding job
>Because, well, we'll keep them on as a "security consultant"

>>52782515
Is this a parody?
>>
>>52782514
10 INT is plenty smart. Also, goblins and other combatants have more martial, fighting smarts than anything else. Lastly, not all the goblins have to be smart, just a few of them that are clever enough to instruct the others.
>>
>>52782514
>>52782543
>10 Int
>100 IQ

Tell me that they are meaningfully different. The average goblin has human level intelligence.
>>
>>52782543
Fair enough
>>
>>52782515
Poor bard.
>>
Is there some indication on DMG about wealth for character starting at higher levels? And if so, can I have the page/screenshot? I can't control it myself right now.
>>
>>52782600
Page 38
>>
>>52780731
>Does combat get better in later levels?

Not unless you include spellcasting monsters.
>>
File: a0d0f7bbe5d0307c4e2b4c332966bd38.jpg (155KB, 564x1311px) Image search: [Google]
a0d0f7bbe5d0307c4e2b4c332966bd38.jpg
155KB, 564x1311px
Best sphinxes are bad-joke sphinxes
>>
File: wealth.png (452KB, 844x395px) Image search: [Google]
wealth.png
452KB, 844x395px
>>52782600
>>
>>52782609
>>52782637
Thanks anons
>>
>Have 1 point left over from point buy

Unless I plan to take a +1 feat I might as well put the odd score in Strength right?

Also are there any good +1 DEX feats for a Tabaxi Sorcerer?
>>
Why does 5e keep wanting me to do stuff as a bonus action? The one for the thief class I can kind of understand, but now they want the investigator to search as a bonus action too. Why would you ever want to do that shit in a combat situation?
Have I misunderstood the rules somehow? These abilities just seem incredibly niche.
>>
>>52782697
Investigator's search as a bonus action is going to be used to find Hidden enemies. It's a very specific ability but when it comes up it's the difference between acting normally or sitting there with a thumb up your ass because you can't see anyone.

Can also be used to search for traps in combat or look for the mcguffin.
>>
>>52782678
Resilient (Dex)

The resilient feat is great, I think it is almost a go to for your first ASI if it is in your primary stat and you lack the save. Such as Archer-Fighters.
>>
>>52782678
if you never plan to increase the odd score, i always put it in my dump stat
having 9 intelligence when everyone but the wizard has 8 is pretty fun when you can say you're objectively more intelligent
>>
Have an idea for making Russian Monk Acrobats from Sossal, across the Great Glacier in the North of Fearun. They're obviously going to be human but I need a homebrew how many points should they be allowed to use for Race I'm thinking 29. Does that seem fair?
>>
>>52782736
>>52782741
Alright I actually fixed it so no odd scores.

8, 16, 14, 10, 10 16 for a Blue Dragon Sorcerer. Going to mainly go around using electric claws with Shocking Grasp and then use the movement boost to get out when I have to.
>>
>>52782515
>Two of the biggest influences on DnD are Tolkien and Howard
>Riddles with Gollum
>Riddle of Steel

Sure, it uses a little bit of outside knowledge, but it is also very old-school.
>>
So my DM has given me a Candle of Invocation (LE) after we converted from 4e to 5e. I'd like to use Gate, but in this campaing there are not a lot of planes, and my character know just one, but we're level 9 so I don't think it would be a good idea going into it.
>>
>>52781721
Looks like a whole lot of nothingness to me.
>>
File: Exit-Strategy.jpg (547KB, 1945x1908px) Image search: [Google]
Exit-Strategy.jpg
547KB, 1945x1908px
>>52782785
So, you have a Gate to Hell?

You'd be surprised what a group of Level 9 characters can do in 5e. Just keep your wits about you, and have an exit strategy.
>>
are there explicit rules for dealing with statting out and playing henchmen/hirelings in the PHB or the DMG?
>>
File: 1459076336185[1].jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1459076336185[1].jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>52782839
Yes. Index: hirelings
>>
File: marahDG.png (521KB, 382x614px) Image search: [Google]
marahDG.png
521KB, 382x614px
How would you port pic related into 5e?
>>
Why isn't Duskblade a thing yet in 5e?
>>
>>52782764
seems neat but i want to know more about where the tabaxi got draconic ancestry
>>
>>52780232
All you did is take away the potential for two tool proficiencies/ languages and take away the background fluff feature?

Boring and kinda pointless but whatever.
>>
>>52782811
The campaign setting is not!Ravnica (with some modifications). The group found that the Guild Council protects locations where you can go in a plane that could or could not be the plane which Gods resides. The untouched state It's described like a Escher painting immersed in space.
>>
>>52782878
Dragons are furfags. Satisfied with the knowledge anon?
>>
>>52780300
Dragonborn aren't half-dragons or even necessarily descended from dragons in that way. Metallic dragons can also transform.
>>
>>52782878
I'm still working it out but the rough idea is there.

In my DM's setting Tabaxi come from the desert same as blue dragons. Basically his clan's had a deal with it for ages where they give it food, gems and anything else it wants and in exchange it gives them protection.

The deal was originally struck by one of my characters ancestors and included a bit more then the village knows. The Dragon obviously wants servents that can perform tasks for it so it always takes at least one of his family and uses a magical infusion to give them it's blood. Manifesting as Sorcery.

Now he's roaming the nearby countries secretly gathering information about whatever the dragon wants in exchange for the continued contract between his people and the beast. The fact it Tabaxi like learning about things helps of course.
>>
>>52781446
Sounds inspired or similar to some hags in curse of strahd
>>
>>52780385
Customizing a Background
You might want to tweak some of the features of a background so it better fits your character
or the campaign setting. To customize a background, you can replace one feature
with any other one, choose any two
skills, and choose a total of two tool
proficiency or languages from the
sample backgrounds.

It's literally in the PHB. I've never had any DM who doesn't do that.
>>
>>52782221
Int can hardly be used as an objective measure of combat cunning. Kobolds for instance have sub-10 int yet their combat strategy (lore-wise) is softening adventurers up with crude traps and dog-piling them as a last resort. I say lore-wise because I've had a couple GMs that only ever used kobolds as canon fodder enemies. Never really had them use traps, never really utilized Pack Tactics.
>>
>>52783081
Isn't 0 int, average human intelligence?
>>
Guys, I'm really confused on these intelligent Creature Mounting rules. So if I had a unicorn or an awakened beast companion as a mount does that mean it can technically move 4 times in one round?

>Movement on my turn
>Dash Action on my turn
>Movement on its turn
>Dash Action on its turn

Or does it only get to act on its turn thus my
instructions matter only on its turn?
>>
>>52783104
Maybe 11 plus 1 to all stats. I think you can't really judge. Humans are too varied in the setting.
>>
>>52783021
One of my players was joking about a wizard that turns people into bread. I took the idea and ripped out 90% of it then rebuilt it. I'd be interested in how they act in curse of stahd. I'm going to use a Green Hag chassis with extra hp and steal some spells and the change shape ability from the night hag so that she is a tougher opponent for my lvl 3 party and so it makes more sense for her to be walking around in the town market selling bread
>>
>>52783104
In my campaign because I'm lazy all NPCs just have the point buy averages of 13s and 12s, non-v.humans because picking a feat and skill for every NPC is also too much work. Consequently, some human NPCs would be inexplicably better than the PCs at certain skill checks simply because none of the PCs invested in the skill or ability score.
>>
>>52783106
A creature can either be a mount, mechanically, and move on your turn at your direction, or its own creature that you happen to be on top of. Not both.
>>
>>52780731
Combat excitement is in the hands of the DM. There are legitimately boring monsters in the 5e MM. So imma do my best to summarize with what you're working with

>combat is(and should be) lethal, swingy, and fast at all levels
>just throwing meat at the party is bad, boring, and slow
>encounters should have a gimmick.
>play out the encounter intelligently with full use of the gimmick
>gimmicks are either answered, or they burn party resources (HD, spell slots, long rest abilities)

example: Magmin explode on death. Play magmin with this in mind-(get as close as possible to everything to set everything on fire), in an environment that makes it a challenge to avoid, and testing dex saves.

example 2: Drow Elite Warrior. +7 on dex saving throws and will fight where there is a dex save hazard (rope balancing, racing minecarts, falling rocks), good at fighting in the dark and will cast darkness to make sure, can parry one attack for +3 AC, and possibly knock a low con person out (caster) with ranged poison, then work for 1 on 1 fights where his opponent is unlikely to have both con save(shortsword poison), dex save, AC advantages over him AND making sure he gets maximum value of parry per round.

bad example: A cave full of Ogres. At-level they hit dumb hard, are just HP heavyweights. Above level they one-shot players, below level they are just meat trash you spend some rounds rolling cantrips and basic attacks against to remove.
>>
>>52782221
Goblins swarming someone and hanging off every available extremity, biting and clawing, seems like perfect goblin tactics. There's nothing really all that smart about bumrushing someone with your mates and trying to spear tackle them to the ground while Captain Bigtooth waggles a spear around shouting and prepares to impale the Wizard.

It even gives someone a chance to save the day in cinematic fashion and could even be considered pulling a punch on some low con character since they won't immediately take damage from the round of grappling, as opposed to a bunch of unlucky rolls leading to a swarm of goblins pasting someone across the walls.

That's some pretty standard cinematic heroism stuff really.
>>
>>52780825
stop making world is the answer
people dont' know your world and don't care.
stick to classic fantasy tropes set forth by the PHB.
>>
>>52783168
Note that the cave full of ogres still serves a purpose, it's just a different one. High hp, generally non-lethal encounters are meant to tax/burden the resources of your damage dealers, while low hp high damage enemies are meant to tax your controllers and healers resources. 5e is a game of attrition, at least if you follow the standard 6-8 encounters, 2 short rests, 1 long rest formula.

Note that this does typically mean that most encounters in a day will be "easy", with "deadly" being few and far between.
>>
>>52783166
"An independent mount retains its place in the
initiative order. Bearing a rider puts no restrictions on the actions the mount can take, and it moves and acts as it wishes."

The book states it does not place restrictions on the actions it can take doesn't that mean it can do both?
>>
So, my Character is a paladin who was captured and tortured for months and still never lost his faith.
How would you deal with freedom after that?
He killed the people responsible and now has to get ready to go back into public.
>>
>>52783200
No? It's listing the alternative to a standard mount, an independent mount, which uses those rules instead. It's generally meant for intelligent creatures, or those trained for combat that you plan to use as something other than a ride. Think animal companion, artificer robot, or summoned creatures.
>>
>>52783193
Where is the standard 6-8 encounters formula thing? I haven't seen it.
>>
>>52783229
DMG page 84.

And i was slightly wrong, its assuming all normal/hards, and expects you to adjust from there
>>
>>52783229
pg. 84 DMG: The Adventuring Day

it also comes through in the math between medium/easy encounters and adventuring day xp

It's a good design, but there are some DMs who fail to meet it in execution that distorts the game.
>>
>>52783200
The part you're looking for is above this.

"While you're mounted, you have two options. You can either control the mount or allow it to act independently."
>you have two options

So you can't move/dash two times each in a round. Either you command it to move and dash, using your own initiative, or you give up control of the creature, allowing it to move independently. In the second case this means you can't command a move or dash, because you've given up control. You could still move on your own initiative, but the mount won't be going anywhere so you'll be dismounting.
>>
>>52783225
>>52783262
I see thank you anons!
>>
So guys tacking into account what how you are are and your traits what DnD class would suit you best if were transported to one of the settings?
>>
>>52782865
Uhhhh
>big sword
>owl (familiar? beast talk pet?)
>dryad/druid/elemental aid/alternate self?
>chainmail/leather
>barkskin?

Ranger (Revised) Primevel Guardian
>>
>>52783381
I'm already on my way to becoming a wizard, so that.
>>
Played 5e for the first time last night. The skills system is easier, especially in character creation because that took ages in 3.5.

DM said he likes 5e as a DM because it's easier for him but prefers 3.5 as a player.
>>
Is Crown of Madness any good on a Sorcerer? I'm trying to pick up some mind meddling themed spells and Twinning that seems fun.
>>
>>52780227
I don't know why people gotta be so hung up on the less popular races. Now I just wanna make a campaign where only Tieflings, Half-Orcs and Dragonborn are allowed. Also Warforged because fuck yeah Warforged.
>>
I'm going to play a rogue assassin monk, should I go rogue 3first then 5 monk? That seems more useful to me really.
>>
>>52780649
They're casters that don't need somatic, verbal, or material components but dear god do you need to be good at managing action economy to make the best use of them.
Basically resource management the class.
>>
If a spell lasts one round does it end at the beginning or end of my next turn?
>>
>roll fighter with guild artisan background for proficiency with herbalism kit so I can make simple potions (cleric got kicked out of group so no healers otherwise)
>GM: "Oh uh, you can only make one common magic item per day"
>Ok, well at least I can save on gold by making my own potions on long trips/downtimes and scavenging for natural ingredients
>GM: "Oh about that, when you want to make a potion with your toolkit you still have to pay for it"

Ok so I make healing potions by throwing 50gp into my mortar, can only make one a day, and no way to turn any kind of profit from it unless I gouge the prices for the other players which would make them hate me on a personal level. Well fuck why did I pick artisan then? At least I get proficiency to identify potions I guess and can make one potion or antitoxin once in a dungeon if I really need to, but I could just stock up on potions beforehand anyway.
>>
>>52783691
They all breed true, so humans slowly got bred out.
>>
>>52783797
Can you give an example, if a spell only lasts one round it normally tells you when its effects end.
>>
>>52783381
Assuming it's not too hard to get my hands on the basics, Wizard.
If it is hard, dead.
>>
>>52783833
Even though I know it's gay, colour spray.
>>
>>52783852
Color spray ends at the beginning, you don't get the advantage bitchboi
>>
>>52783883
Welp, fuck. It really is the gayest spell in existence.
>>
>>52783553
Sure. A lot of people prefer clunky systems with a bunch of options.
>>
>>52783207
Ritualistic self-flagellation and prayer. Not because he likes the pain, but to keep his resolve strong so that if captured again he can withstand more.

Secondly, despite never losing faith, he might also pray to Ilmater now (AKA the Crying God, the Broken God, the Lord on the Rack, and the One Who Endures).
>>
>>52783893
Sorcerer using Quickened could make use of it for himself I guess?
It's a control spell, you're supposed to use it and have your allies attack.
>>
Saturday morning cartoon kid adventuring party

High Elf Apprentice Wizard
Shield Dwarf Acolyte
Human Guard
Dragonborn Tribal Warrior
Lightfoot Halfling Bandit
>>
>>52780227
Had a group of players who went with all Wood Elven characters.

It got pretty STORMY.
They killed Orcs, Goblins and others left and right while making sure to make Humans an enemy of everyone but them.
Basically Isralei Elves.
>>
>>52781627
Why would it ever use Claws if it can use Headbutt? Also Headbutt is a little weak. Lets change it to a Bite (which is more fun) and increase its damage to 2d10+6 piercing and 2d6 acid

Try this instead
>Multiattack - The Dragon makes two Claw attacks and one Bite. The dragon can replace its Bite with an Eat if it has grappled a target.
>>
Joined a new group, when I asked about the party so far I got this back;

>As far as play style, the fighter is a Goliath Eldritch Knight, pretty much a front line fighter. The cleric is a trickster priest with very low strength so mainly relies on spells and tries to stay out of close quarter fighting, but isn't exactly a powerhouse ranged attacker either. The rogue is a thief archetype. He is almost always in the front lines. Currently he's in the process of being turned into a Kuo-Toa diety.

Any suggestions on a class to fit in here? I was thinking a moon druid could be alright, but I really wanted to play a kobold druid and the dm isn't into monster races. Avoiding full casters if possible because there's a girl joining who I know plays pretty much only sorcerers and wizards
>>
Psionic Mastery feature says that you have 9 points to use on psionic disciplines that require action or bonus action and that you can spend all points on a single discipline or on multitude of them. This doesn't mean you can use 9 times a single discipline with 1 psi point cost, doesn't it?
>>
>>52784267
Sounds like a Ranger could be good. A real archer and another guy with healing is good, you can sneak with the Thief and do exploration challenges as well.
>>
>>52784288
Yes
>>
> want to use bow as cleric
> doesn't want to lost +2 ac from shield
help
>>
>>52784306
>>52784267
I sorry, she plays wizards and rangers, not sorcerers. Just double checked her message.
>>
How bad is Paladin 2 / Cleric X?

Probably going with Life Cleric. Half-Elf with
14 8 14 10 16 14 in stats.

This is for CoS... there is no other Cleric or Paladin in the party and the fighter is going for GWM... All those relics are going to be mine alone!
>>
how do i make the best of my way of the long death monk

party consists of a moon druid, open hand monk, sorcerer, and a mystic
>>
>>52784449
>>
>Immortal Mystic gets THP equal to Int Mod at start of each turn at 3rd level
okay
>Mystics can restore hitpoints equal to number of psi points spent on a discipline as a bonus action at 2nd level
o-okay
>Bestial Claw 1-7 points make a melee attack that deals 1d10 per psi point spent
you what?
>Bestial Transformation can give +2AC for 2pp
>Immortals already have 10+DEX+CON
>can also focus on Iron Durability for another +1AC
holy shit these sound super annoying to kill
>>
>>52782076
It's all flying islands. Everything that isn't a darker blue is sky, not water. The world blew up, and land masses broke apart. That's why things kinda look like a janky jigsaw. Trust me, I get you. If this was a normal map, I should be shot.
>>
Is metamorphing a vote fetish or expansion fetish?
>>
>>52784535
You're a dex-tank, but you need to make the most of dealing the killing blow.
You seriously need to be on the front line dealing the final blow. If there's a horde fight you deal with the horde of mooks while your party deals with the "mob boss" if there is one. May also be worth the effort to buy a cage and keep rats in it that you can kill occasionally so you stay at your strongest.
Once you hit 11th level be stingy with your ki points so you can stay alive longest, anything that doesn't kill you won't even knock you out.
>>
>>52782195
this wasnt in 5e but it was with the same group, dm and all and ended up serving as a prequel to the campaign we're playing now

>tasked with stealing a sentient magic item
>other half of the party went off to do stuff, leaving me and the fighter
>convince him over the course of an hour ingame that the best way to steal it was to sneak into the rich upperclass playhouse where the captain of the guard, who owned the magic item in question
>me, being a ratfolk and him being a dwarf had no chance of getting inside
>decide to pool our money together and buy a large, luxurious coat and some pants
>we put on the coat and i sit on his shoulders, and we both manage to pass our disguise checks to appear as one person, though there was an open button in the middle for the fighter to peer out of so he doesnt end up walking us into a wall
>we enter the playhouse and find the guard captain and we decide to try and seduce him
>my charisma is low and i had negatives in my social stats so the fighter who had more cha than me began whispering things for me to say to the guard captain
>everything goes to plan until he fails a stealth check to keep his voice low and the guard captain looks down and his eyes meet with the dwarf's that was peering out from the coat
>"I have eyes only for you"
>get invited back to the guard captain's rape dungeon after the play, tie him up for some bdsm shit
>decide to try and gouge out his eyes with my 9 str for snubbing me at the playhouse
>he turns out to be a 5th level barbarian, rages, breaks free and pummels me
>i flee up the stairs, and run into the fighter who went upstairs to get our weapons
>run right into him and bounce off his shield, fall down stairs and get beaten into unconsciousness by the guard captain
>spend most of my time in jail for the duration of our quest in the city until the dm decides to have me bailed out of jail
>>
Hello, folks. What roguish archetypes are there? I've just hit level 8 on my barb/5 rogue/3 dwarf, and am looking to see what fits the best.

From the players Handbook:
Thief, Assassin, Arcane Trickster

From the UA:
Scout

Is that all of them? I'm thinking of grabbing arcane trickster for shenanigans since the guy's a tax inspector and none of the other options seem as utility based or legal enough.
>>
>>52780940
Without reading the history, I'd say there's some Dune-styled stuff about taking conscious control over bodily processes in there.
>>
>>52784684
Swashbuckler from SCAG is good if you have the charisma for it. Also good for the extra attacks and two weapon fighting since you turn off AOO at anything you hit.
>>
>>52784684
Oh, same guy who mentioned Swashbuckler, SCAG also has Mastermind for utility stuff. Matches what you're talking about for tax inspector stuff.
>>
>>52784704
Not... really. He's an asshole tax inspector, no-one really likes him! I'll look into it anyway, thanks.

Are there archetypes in all of the guides? Is there a list of where I could grab all the relevant books, or would I need to search all of them individually?
>>
>>52784724
I think SCAG is the only one with archetypes. DMG has Death domain for Cleric and Oathbreaker Paladin but other than that I can't think of other books adding archetypes.
Also there's Mastermind that I remembered after posting, it has utility stuff.
>>
>>52784716
>>52784754
Ok, cheers! The mastermind looks fun, but not as much fun as the fun you can have with a bag full of illusions and mage hand. Still, helpful knowing all the options!
>>
>>52783827
First, your DM is a tool, making you pay the exact same or having no way to make it for less, especially in a game with no healer.

Use survival, or get party members to use it to find herbs to make it. Otherwise get the party members to chip in, if they won't, guess who gets no healing potions.
>>
>>52784808
Crafting a potion usually take like 5 days.
>>
>>52783827
Welcome to 5e crafting rules!
>>
>>52784558
>Their mastery of the physical form grants them their name, for Immortals are notoriously difficult to kill.
>>
>>52785021
Fair point
>>
>>52785017
new thread
>>
>>52783827
If using the mundane item creation downtime action, crafting an item takes half the value of the time in raw materials and is crafted at a rate of 5 gp per day.
For a potion, this would be 25 gp of raw materials and the potion would be crafted in 10 days.

If using the magic item creation rules, crafting a common magic item takes 100 gp and is crafted at a rate of 25 gp per day. In addition, the person making the item must be at least level 3 and have a formula for the specific item in question.
Under these rules, a potion, as with all common magic items, takes 100 gp in raw materials and 4 days to make.

Neither of these, you will note, are how your DM says it works. The question, then, is whether an ordinary Potion of Healing should count as a mundane item or a magic one.
I would put forward the argument that the item in question should be considered mundane, given that if it is magical, one could pop down the the shops, buy up an armload of Potions of Healing, then go ahead and use the Selling Magic Items downtime action.
Provided you can reliably get higher than a 10 on a Charisma check, you'll always have at least a shady buyer offering 50 gp, letting you break even if you choose to take it. If you're lucky, you'll get a shady buyer offering 150 gp for an ordinary Potion of Healing that they could get off the shelf for a third the price.

Tl;dr,
Your DM is a cunt
>>
>>52783827
Read Downtime rules UA for that.

Brewing Potions of Healing Potions of healing
fall into a special category for item crafting,
separate from other magic items.
A character proficient with the herbalism kit
can create them. The time and money needed
to create such a potion is summarized on the
Potion of Healing Creation table.

Potion of Healing table:

Potion of Healing = 1 day and 25gp
Greater healing = 1 workweek 100gp
Superior healing = 3 workweeks 1,000 gp
Supreme healing = 4 workweeks 10,000gp.

Sadly there's no table on gathering herbs so it's assumed you have to buy them.
>>
>>52784897
According the DMG, assuming they are a common magical item, they take 100 gold and 4 days to make. Which makes no sense.
>>
>>52785199
I'll try to convince my DM to at least let me make CHA checks (persuasion?) to hawk personally-crafted potions to NPCs for a higher price. The dungeon we're in we just happened to find another group of dungeon crawlers camping out, so perhaps I can play it up that they're far away from town so the convenience would cost extra.

>>52785240
I'm not sure the DM is allowing UA material, I'll have to ask.
>>
Why do half elves make such good bards
>>
>>52781278
>DC 13, fixed DC
Eh
>Any time during a rest
So basically, literally anytime because you can declare a short rest and immediately change it then stop trying to have a rest?
It should be at the end of a rest.
In any case
>Giving a bonus action attack that can be used at-will
A bit powerful, kind of in line with something like PAM which grants bonus attacks, considering the attack deals 1d6+STR instead of 1d4+STR and you can knock a target prone, though it doesn't get the reaction attack, though you don't need to use a polearm and can use a greatsword, though it doesn't work with GWM.

>Half-orc's reduce to 1 feature
I mean... If the rest wasn't so powerful that you were making half-orc redundant, maybe?

>You can calculate AC using con instead of dex
As others mentioned, OP on barbarians. A bit powerful elsewhere but given dex was a good stat anyway... Yeah, sure, it's not too big a deal, and it lends itself more to wizards and such when you lack +casting ability.
Fine enough.

>Adaptive insulation
Generally resistance to extremes of heat/cold isn't considered enough to give actual resistance to fire/cold, but I guess if you want something unique. The vulnerability sounds like it could really fuck someone up, though.
I guess if you think it's justified, it's kinda interesting, though it's actually a downgrade if you decide on bear barbarian.

Overall really I'd just remove the bonus action headbutt and prone and leave it as a natural weapon that can be used.
>>
>>52784657
>The guy was actually [Class Level X] and pummels you!

Just saying, a good DM should at least have some hint of such a character's abilities. There shouldn't be a "Turns out he can do X" but a "We think he might be able to do X"
The DM should probably describe a lack of suitable armour, bodypaint, etc etc. Describe their details before jumping things on you.

They might have done that, but just saying.

And really, if you want to say 'but he's not like X!' then the DM can stop being a lame sucker and stop stealing from the PHB and make their own damn NPCs that aren't just DMPCs.
>>
>>52785298
Does your DM actually let you stock up on as many potions of healing as you want "off the shelf" as it were? If there's no limit to buying them, making them so hard to craft/brew doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>52786514
We haven't run into any limit yet, but then we only just got to our second dungeon so we didn't exactly have the funds to buy out the town of all its healing potions after buying some better equipment.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.