[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you correctly pull off a post-apocalypse setting that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 297
Thread images: 66

File: 1406955911325.jpg (262KB, 1200x734px) Image search: [Google]
1406955911325.jpg
262KB, 1200x734px
How do you correctly pull off a post-apocalypse setting that isn't grimdark?
>>
>>52753176
Like your pic related, make it in the way that people pull through with solidarity rather than isolationism and raiding. Make it possible to still farm crops, and possibly also kill off a lot of people so there isn't widespread hunger everywhere.

Really, a non-grimdark post-apocalypse setting is about the healing part that comes after the anarchy and chaos.
>>
>>52753176
There was a really nice manga I was reading about a group of kids surviving after a series of interdimensional monsters swollowed up everyone else. It was spattered with drops of darkness and some intense feels/action/horror scenes, but for the most part life went on.

So I'd say build it a good few years after the EVENT where only the most elderly remember the details and most it's thought of legends. From there, you have splatterings of lore; ruins, journals, piecemeal info that give some darker undertones. Everything else is quite light; people are back to living, either using old tech and not knowing how it exactly works or regressing but doing well. In your example pic, there's a bunch of fishing "ports" and they're all like little communities. Everyone learns to sail, with some having some still working engines.

The point is play up the "life goes on", with mostly happy and sunshine, but with some dark clouds hidden about
>>
File: Adventure_Time_-_Title_card.png (119KB, 420x238px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure_Time_-_Title_card.png
119KB, 420x238px
>>52753176
>>
>>52753176
My hero academia is set after the world had its period of darkness and upheaval when +60% of the world's population started being born with superpowers.
Takes place around two generations after the rebuilding had begun.
>>
>>52753176
Ever read YKK?
>>
File: 1291059385355.jpg (421KB, 1600x1255px) Image search: [Google]
1291059385355.jpg
421KB, 1600x1255px
>>52753176
>playing soccer on your rooftop field
>kick the ball out of bounds
>have to go down 10 floors and get in your boat and hope you can find the ball floating around somewhere

Fuckin kids.
>>
File: 1407004700978.jpg (808KB, 1600x2264px) Image search: [Google]
1407004700978.jpg
808KB, 1600x2264px
Wasn't someone working on a bright apocalypse RPG system with cat girls for some reason here a few years back?
>>
>>52753325
At this point you just fish out some fences and build up all around the field. But it doesn't look good, so it's not on the pic.
>>
File: WALL-E_plant2.jpg (15KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
WALL-E_plant2.jpg
15KB, 300x208px
By emphasizing how much shittier the world was before/during the apocalypse.

After the end has come a brand new beginning. You are now Adam, and Megiddo is now your Eden. Humanity gets to start all over again, and YOU get to be the one to make it happen. Try not to fuck it up this time!
>>
>>52753315
YKK is hopeless as fuck though.
>>
File: KemomiIsland.jpg (799KB, 1600x2264px) Image search: [Google]
KemomiIsland.jpg
799KB, 1600x2264px
>>52753176
Add catgirls and remove scarcity.
>>
>>52753325
>that pic
weird I just had a dream about this the other day that this was basically how the world ended up
>>
File: Ahad_Israfil.jpg (390KB, 1119x826px) Image search: [Google]
Ahad_Israfil.jpg
390KB, 1119x826px
>>52753325
>Not cliff diving off the roof and swimming the ball back.
>>
File: 1409206366712.jpg (832KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1409206366712.jpg
832KB, 1800x1200px
>>52753416
>>52753375
>catgirl mind
>>
File: 1437927219139 (1).jpg (1MB, 2688x960px) Image search: [Google]
1437927219139 (1).jpg
1MB, 2688x960px
>tfw you aren't surviving in the verdant ruins of a flooded city with your squad of anime girls
>>
It's interesting the amount of lighthearted games with almost-human-but-not-quite characters moving across the ruins of a cataclysmic flood.

Mega Man Legends, Wind Waker, /tg/'s CATastrophe, Splatoon...

And the thing is, I can't think of the setting being used in any media outside vidya or RP, off the top of my head.
>>
File: animeoper8rs.jpg (2MB, 1200x2879px) Image search: [Google]
animeoper8rs.jpg
2MB, 1200x2879px
>>52753572
It's a bad feel.
>>
File: CoppelionBackgrounds.jpg (3MB, 3840x2880px) Image search: [Google]
CoppelionBackgrounds.jpg
3MB, 3840x2880px
>>52753662
There was the anime Coppelion, but that's not flooded, it's just an abandoned city that's been overgrown.
>>
File: yHntlUL.jpg (98KB, 640x724px) Image search: [Google]
yHntlUL.jpg
98KB, 640x724px
>>52753176

The lesson of a non-grimdark setting is that the end of the world was the best thing to ever happen to it. People were overworked, underpaid, oversaturated and misunderstood by everyone in the old world, and now that the bombs have fallen and the zombies have gotten loose and the meteors hit everyone can finally act the way they always wanted to.

Yes, the settlement needs clean water. No, you haven't eaten in three days. Yes, you watched your best friend step on a land mine and get eaten by radioactive cannibals last week. But the Chief gave you your buddy's atomic watch and you adopted his 17-year-old purple-haired daughter as your side kick/love slave. Could you do that in the old world? No, because the age of consent was 18 in California, and now it's whatever she'll let you get away with because she's got a razor-sharp crab claw for a hand and psychic powers.

So you and your new crab-clawed child bride go on a raid in the San Diego Children's Pool, where you hope to hunt some seal meat. But the pre-War seal activists and the seals have bred with each other, and now they're half-seal, half-Greenpeace activist, and they've retained just enough intelligence to be angry about the Exxon Valdez spill, but now have the testosterone of fully grown bull seals to do something about it.

Naturally, you fight the seal-men of San Diego and discover to your delight that napalm cooks seal meat as it kills seal-men. You eat half of it, then return in glory, holding high the head of their shaman, and declare the seal meat is free to any who will recognize you as the new chief. The tribe cheers you on, and after sealing the old chief in a go-go cage you have a drug-fueled orgy in a bombed out Burger King. You father six children that night, and your wife somehow fathers two more.

In the Old World, you were Jerry, who worked at Kinko's. In the New World, you are Jekinko, and you are a god.
>>
Why are green and blue the best colors for a post apocalyptic world?
>>
>>52753325
I'm pretty sure apartment buildings would collapse before long anyway if the bottom floors were constantly submerged in seawater. Best not to overthink it.
>>
>>52753670
I get it, they're going commando.
>>
>>52753176
Simple, the most grimdark post-apocalyptic settings usually assume that all forms of civilization will collapse and we'll suddenly all start wearing leather and killing eachother because why the fuck not.

I think that by realistically thinking about how a post-apocaliptic earth would play out, only the very first few years would be grimdark and from that point onward things would get better. Let's say that, for example, peak oil is reached. Here's the grimdark part: in a very short span (we're thinking about one or two decades here) millions if not billions will starve. We will see some wars to secure arable land, especially in Africa (where the fuck else?), but that would only last so long before most of humanity has starved. That's a horrible scenario, but after that it probably won't be all that bad. Sure, the remnants of humanity will have to say goodbye to most modern technology but after that I can imagine humanity organizing in some form of pseudo-feudal farming communes and living in relative(!) peace with some semblance of law and order, rather than in some lawless 'wasteland'. You could even make this a downright noblebright setting if you want, just make sure to gloss over the whole "90% of humanity recently died clutching their own stomachs and begging for a single breadcrumb" part.
>>
File: 1437929083019 (1).jpg (406KB, 1200x780px) Image search: [Google]
1437929083019 (1).jpg
406KB, 1200x780px
>>52753969
Yes.
>>
>>52754013
What are those girls operatoring for? There is nobody around for miles.
>>
>>52754038
Not that we can see.

I think a better question is how the fuck they manage to keep an AH-64 flying.
>>
>>52754038
>There is nobody around for miles.
That only proves how effective they are.
>>
File: XMoGRd2.jpg (189KB, 1200x702px) Image search: [Google]
XMoGRd2.jpg
189KB, 1200x702px
>>52753729
>the Golden Gate Bridge is 67 meters above sea level at high tide
>if all the ice caps in the world melted the Golden Gate would still be above water

>>52753807
Could have been futuristic apartment buildings, built in a world expecting an incoming flood, but not prepared for it's full extent or failed to survive through it.

>>52753662
Could be an interesting idea. World full of tech left behind for only a small amount of survivors, exploring the unknown marvels of their precursors and trying to put the world back together.

I'd imagine the coastal areas being the open and inviting areas, as one travels inland it becomes less welcoming, with thick ancient forests, swamps and marshlands and vast deserts. People start mostly primitive, with only a basic understanding of the "magic" around them, but begin to reverse engineer the tech, being able to learn advanced diving techniques or finding specimens above the water to be able to recreate functioning engines, finding old computers and such.

I want to run a game like this now somehow.
>>
>>52753176
First thing first avoid nuclear fallouts. Here's something that I prepared some times ago as an inspiration.

WW3 ensued for "reasons", humans were smart enough not to huse nuclears (maybe a few, still you get the point, no radiation bullshit), but not enough to stop killing each other. After years and years of war as the population rapidly decreases due to war, bombings, lack of food and viruses people that give a damn about the war eventually die out and the only few survivors are the small communities that run as far as they could from war zones and managed to get ignored. 2/3 generations later, the children of these communities are the elders that recall the war and warn their younglings about its horrors and only know how the world used to be through the stories of their own fathers. Almost all of the glaciers are now melted, and the people live off fishing in settlements on island, coastlines or places like OP's pic. The temperatures raised a lot: extreme heat and access to drinking water can be problems, although not life-threatening. Agricolture is practicized but only for basic susteinance or small trading, as the mentioned problems make it impossible to overproduce.
These small communities live closely in an endless summer, and are relatively happy. The main reason to travel is to find and trade objects from before the war, mainly tools and gadgets. The most valuable products are printed books, useless for surviving but still extremely requested.

Remember that it's boring to play in Utopia, and there has to be some conflict. It's up to you to make it more lighthearted, maybe some small scale drama like catching some thieves or challenging other scavengers. Since books are so important, it's fun to design communities around them, e.g. towns that built a religion around old Tolkien books, or congregations of philosophers making up weird metaphysical theories after reading physics books they cannot actually comprehend.
>>
>>52754695
>The most valuable products are printed books, useless for surviving but still extremely requested.
Ah yes, I'm sure the "How to survive for dummies" and "how to rebuild civilization" books would be useless.
>>
>>52754835
That first book would be useful, but the second almost entirely useless because it's bound to be full of either bullshit or things that almost certainly don't apply because; you can't exactly predict how civilization will end and have enough time to write an incredibly detailed civilization revival guide. Especially in a world where we STILL can't solve the shitholes that are Africa and the Middle East.
>>
>>52753176
Make it several centuries after the apocalypse and establishment of a new civilization.
>>
File: middleearthlargelargerstill.jpg (1MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
middleearthlargelargerstill.jpg
1MB, 3200x2400px
>>52753176
So, so much is gone, yet hope remains.

The worst and best are things of the past, make do with the present so a better future might come.
>>
File: mapheight.png (2MB, 2510x1260px) Image search: [Google]
mapheight.png
2MB, 2510x1260px
Will be GMing a CATastrophe game in Ryuutama in the future, so if it will be interesting will bring storytime to /tg/.

For now, this is how earth looks like with 800ft increase in water level (65 ft is downright piddly, so for a flooded world you gotta do something else... like dropping a giant ice meteor. Giant ice meteors are cool.)
>>
>>52754835
I'm pretty sure that books like "how to survive for dummies" are dumb and not actually as helpful as a shovel or a knife when you live in a post apocalyctic world. Anyway you want the setting to be interesting, so you could have Robinson Crusoe instead of "How to survive for dummies" and philosophy or history books instead of "How to rebuild civilization"
>>
>>52755330
>"how to survive for dummies"
I think (hope!) that by that he means things like a Scout's handbook that teaches you things like how to make rope from hemp or how to make knifes from stone, how to use animal hides to make tents et cetera. Having that knowledge in an easy to reference guide beats having to (literally?) reinvent the wheel.
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CosyCatastrophe

>>52753694

It was also shit. Try Gargantia instead.
>>
File: images (22).jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (22).jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>52753715
This is the most beautiful thing I've ever read, anon.
>>
>>52753715
How do you know my dreams
>>
>>52755362
>tvtropes
Begone, cancerous whores!
>>
>>52755602
oh shut up. Tvtropes is fine if you're looking at it as a short summary and reference list.

>>52755357
>>52755330
>>52754835
>not having Great teacher AI in shelter
>not losiing said AI as it runs out of power
>not crawling upon the overgrown face of earth, educated, but confused
>not making a shrine dedicated to said AI
>not trying to bring it back
>>
>>52753715
Screencapped for posterity.

I am so making the Purple Haired CrabClaw Child Bride in a game.
>>
>>
File: 887e0ae2aa53086640b8c79f5190f227.jpg (468KB, 1390x903px) Image search: [Google]
887e0ae2aa53086640b8c79f5190f227.jpg
468KB, 1390x903px
>>52753176
By making it comfy
>>
>>52753715
>In the Old World, you were Jerry, who worked at Kinko's. In the New World, you are Jekinko, and you are a god.
Needs to be a tagline
>>
>>52755274
>dropping a giant ice meteor
Where's ground zero though?
>>
>>52756110
Probably in the middle of the pacific.
>>
>>52753176
>Modern society collapsed in the 1980's due to nuclear war
>Hundreds of years later society has begun to rebuild
>Most valuable objects in the world aren't Gold, Silver or gems but instead Vinyl records.
>religions and governments have been molded around certain songs that have been seen as words of wisdom from society long ago. E.G. King of the main Empire is called "The Sultan of Swing"
>Groups of diggers go around the world rummaging through ancient ruins looking for Vinyl.
>>
>>52755976
C'mon mate, post the cap.
>>
>>52753176
I think the usual method is to make it a world where everyone who actually managed to survive isn't struggling to piece together the old world.

Countries aren't around, but you're in your small community of friends and neighbors. Old world tech is a mix of things that lasted and things that didn't. You have plenty around that any crops you're farming as the 21st century superfoods that can sustain a crazy amount of people per acre. Water is easy enough to get due to all the ways your precursors found to purify it.

There isn't a big drive for people to become cannibalistic bandits or anything like that when things are so plentiful. At most people will get fed up with an easy life and try to go out and become fishers and explorers, but those pockets of home will still exist.
>>
File: Quote 4.jpg (247KB, 575x2363px) Image search: [Google]
Quote 4.jpg
247KB, 575x2363px
>>52756089
>The world is slowly becoming a desert
>Everything outside of two big countries is dying
>Those countries fight each other for resources and the remaining scraps of land
>Yet people still have small dreams like learning music and can lead happy lives, despite all that's bad in the world
I fucking love Sora no Woto. It really surprised me for something that looked like K-On in military outfits, concept-wise. The OST is amazing, too.
>>
File: recut map.png (2MB, 2510x1260px) Image search: [Google]
recut map.png
2MB, 2510x1260px
>>52755274
made a quick Pacificentric version so you can see just how big that damn ocean is now.
>>
>>52753176
Set it after the true extinction of all life.

Can't be grimdark without the living.
>>
>>52756136
>>52756110
Yeah, Pacific.

The fun thing is, meteor this big will leave an indent in earth where he falls and create a small mountain in the opposite point. With volcanism and all, since it'll also push up the mantle.

And supervolcanos are always a good location for a final.
>>
File: Desert-Punk-Wallpapers.jpg (935KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Desert-Punk-Wallpapers.jpg
935KB, 1280x1024px
>ctrl+f
>no desert punk

It's basically the definition of fun post-apocalypse.
>>
>>52753247
Late to the party, but what is it called?
>>
>>52756391
Simultaneously you're right, but it's mostly just a pretty dark world put through a zany lens of the protag.

There's nasty stuff like raid, rape and slavery, more openly than in other series like it.
>>
>>52754004
Most shitty writing is about
"Oh, we want to kill each other, but we can't be arsed with actually doing it, so we write about pacifists getting raided"

Realistically, tribalism ends in weeks, so long anything resembling paths or transport remains.
Roaming cannibals would literally get treated like bears: You set bounty, gather groups, and exterminate them if they are a real pest.
Foundation period of city states, would be extremely peaceful.
Periods of war won't even occur until technology is re researched enough for travel to happen again.So that city states can start bickering over nearby "mines" of wasteland.

>>52756391
Sunabozu is fun.
>>
>>52753176
Humanity endures. It might not be Noble bright, but the fractured remnants of humanity picking themselves up, dusting themselves off, and working together to make sure their family/community/country survives and endures only becomes grimdark if you make it that way. So long as their is hope and the potential for progress, it's not true grimdark
>>
>>52756313
Could be a bunch of smaller ones instead of one big one.
>>
>>52756313
>>52756539

I think it would be neat to have it somehow cause the volcanic activity in the middle of the pacific, so you have this massive endless ocean with just a tiny bit of fiery, inhospitable land in the middle.

Works nicely as an 'end goal' of sorts, since that would be very hard to reach and probably only be a rumor for most people.
>>
>>52756299
I dunno, you could have just a bunch of zombies beating the shit out of each other for all eternity. Kinda like Grixis from MtG.
>>
File: Chernobyl.jpg (62KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
Chernobyl.jpg
62KB, 624x351px
>>52753176
Dont make it about the merciless winter that comes after the global catastrophe, make it about the rebirth of the society, it's spring
>>
>>52756391
Because the setting makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>52756912
Most settings don't but that doesn't mean they can't be awesome.
>>
>>52753969
>They misundrestood the term as an ancient technique for increased stealth capabilities
>>
File: nux.gif (873KB, 498x228px) Image search: [Google]
nux.gif
873KB, 498x228px
>>52753176
Mad Max from the point of view of the completely insane mooks.
The apocalypse actually IS fucked up, but you enjoy it.
>>
>>52755274
>>52756294
I've been thinking of doing a similar situation, but not as extreme of high water, with what I said here >>52754274
>the coastal areas being the open and inviting areas, as one travels inland it becomes less welcoming, with thick ancient forests, swamps and marshlands and vast deserts
So we could have CATastrophe and Desertpunk on the same planet at the same time.

The sea and the coasts would be the relatively safe areas. Inland you run into thick rainforests, poison swamps, desert wastelands and manmade horrors.

I was thinking either the ocean rising 50 to 60 meters, the Golden Gate bridge would be above water, connecting two of the island that make up the San Francisco Archipelago, Big Ben would still stick up above the water, telling the dwellers of the London rooftops what time it is and the London Eye could have been refit into a Bathysphere carrier to bring people down to the sea floor.
http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=27.4089,-174.5011&zoom=1&m=60&type=satellite
Taking a bit of artistic licence with exactly how things flood to make more interesting maps.

Otherwise, if not making it set on Earth, I've liked the idea of maybe colonists of the planet Venus after something went wrong in the terraforming process, released from their suspended animation to find a world of water and wastelands, scattered with old science.
Pic related, Venus topography.
>>
>>52753176

Set it far enough past the apocalypse that civilization is returning. Or have it have been an apocalypse that primarily depopulates as opposed to wrecking infrastructure and resources.
>>
>>52753176

Adventure Time
>>
>>52753715
Not the most masturbatory shit I've ever read but that's not exactly high praise.
>>
>>52753227
>>52753176
Conversely, you could focus on schadenfreude and show how these idiots really all had it coming. Show how the planet is better off without them despite their delusions that they're the center of the universe. That way it's funny rather than sad or scary.
>>
>>52753255
>>52757239
This. Don't have the characters aware that they are in an apocalyptic world. To them it's just the world.
>>
>>52753416
>post-apoc
>remove scarcity
Someone hasn't been nuked enough.
>>
>>52753176
Focus on the second generation and beyond instead of the generation that saw it happen and had to change their entire way if life (if they survived at all.) For the children that come after, a simple life of farming/hunting/whatever is all they've ever known, and they're quite fond of it in the way all people become fond of familiar experiences, and things of the old world are foreign and scary, more so because the first-generation elders have this fierce but impossible expectation that everyone younger than them should value the same things as them, things that their children have no chance of understanding, let alone caring about.
>>
>>52757328
I mean, if 99% of the world's population died, there would be plenty of resources to go around. It depends a lot on how much tech survives to make use of those resources, but in some cases it shouldn't be difficult for the two-dozen people who have a city of thousands to pick through to live.
>>
>>52757328
>implying the 20% furries aren't mutants of radioactive effects
>>
>>52757376
People are rather resilient, at least in the short term. Resources and infrastructure are always destroyed faster than populations because people have a will to survive and objects don't. When there's a disaster, most of the things and some of the people are destroyed, and the few things that are left aren't enough for all the surviving people that need them, and so they consume them all quickly. Only after that do the people start dying fast enough to reach equilibrium, so in the end there are very few people and very few things.
>>
File: 68.jpg (148KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
68.jpg
148KB, 620x877px
Gone with the blastwave is a dark humor kind of Post-apocalypse setting

>mfw I go to grab one of the comics and it's actually updated.
>>
>>52757458
Unless it's the type of disaster that kills people faster than other things, like if it's some sort of really virulent plague that only a small percentage are immune to.

World might decend into some chaos and panic, but everything will largely be intact for the survivors to pick through and build something of.
>>
>>52753176
the land is empty because most of the people moved off-planet/to a different reality or time/uploaded to the matrix. The only people remaining either chose to stay or couldn't leave with everyone else.
>>
>>52757489
Most things need maintenance or they become useless after only a few years. So in that case there'd be a small window of easy looting before the only thing left in abundance was land.
>>
>>52757473
>I am currently in the process of trying (and so far failing) to commit to a more regular update schedule once again.
Yay, I guess.
>>
>Empathetic
>Gain advantage on an attack roll

That's not how empathy works WotC.
>>
>>52753176

I dunno Anon. I was working on a post apoc setting with irradiated dangers, working societies, cults, factions, cities, and a new set of currencies and the gimmick was that it was supposed to be centered on the town you lived in, so DM and players would be using familiar landmarks. A group that lives in KY would be using Louisville as a city, Fort Knox as a location for bandits or player stronghold, and the George Stagg Brewery and the US Marine Hospital to raid for supplies. A New York group would have NYC, Statue of Liberty, Aidarondacks, and Niagara Falls to work with. The GM would reimagine what their community would look like post apoc and players would have missions that either safeguarded their community, supplied it, or reinforced it somehow combine with all the other odds and ends that floating through the community.

And then I realized how close to Fallout it was and I gave up.
>>
>>52757608
I have posted in the wrong thread.
>>
>>52757560
A few years is a pretty long time, and in that time the things you want to focus on are the technologies that make long-term survival a breeze. From there, you establish a community and start producing with your key bits of tech.

This gets a lot easier if you have at least a handful of people who are technologically savvy with you. With them, you could get some pretty well-off post apocalyptic societies by simply being able to maintain key parts of infrastructure.

>the only thing left in abundance was land

Land is a pretty amazing thing to have in abundance. It's pretty much been one of the most valuable and sought after things for all of human history.
>>
>>52757560
What if technology was advanced enough that the entire process was mostly/completely self sustaining?

The robots mine the raw materials , refine it, then output it.

Kinda like the Walmart apocalypse but not dystopian. Robots know automatically what needs refilling but don't overstock either and security gas conveniently stopped working.
>>
File: spoooooooon.jpg (149KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
spoooooooon.jpg
149KB, 1600x1200px
>>52757594
it's one of my favourite webcomics. I would fucking love a game set in The City, tabletop or Video.
>>
>>52757657
Depends on how observable the maintenance and process is, though at that point I would expect subsequent generations of survivors to view it in an almost mystical way. How their ancestors left behind these inhuman servants to watch over them before they died in a great cataclysm.

Still pretty bright overall, even if the robots are only able to maintain certain things. I mean, a post-apocalyptic community next to a self-sustaining powerplant certainly won't be having a hard time if they can tap into the grid and use it for farm tools and other comforts.
>>
>>52757691
>>52757722
I'll throw a kickstarter for it, 5000$ goal, I'll throw 10% to the author. Pls donate.
>>
>>52757657
If there's a fully automated post-scarcity economy that's still fully operational after the apocalypse, it wasn't much of an apocalypse, was it?
>>
File: destiny_by_harpiya.jpg (2MB, 4181x2653px) Image search: [Google]
destiny_by_harpiya.jpg
2MB, 4181x2653px
>>52753176
Destiny is Pretty NobleBright, sure, mankind has been reduced to a single City that's going to be destroyed at the beginning of the sequel but the Guardians are nigh-immortal protectors that have fought back against physical-god level threats and come out on top.
>>
>>52757772
Isn't that the Engine Heart setting?
>>
>>52753437
Wouldn't you end up with pic related?
>>
>>52757772
Humanity could have been wiped out by a disease or something and not enough people who understand how things work are left alive to make sense of it all.

Could be an interesting plot hook. Local robots are starting to give up so party needs to go find the one engineer in the world who knows how to repair it. Depending on how far society has regressed, they might even think the engineer was a magician while the engineer is constantly annoyed by the references to parlor tricks.
>>
>>52756146
Almost positive that the vinyl records will be too degraded to use after that long.
>>
>>52756299
Ah, I see you're familiar with the Engine Heart approach.
>>
File: yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-1580861.jpg (133KB, 750x1081px) Image search: [Google]
yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-1580861.jpg
133KB, 750x1081px
>no mention of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō
Am I that old?
>>
No one in this thread. Read cafe alpha?
>>
>>52757842
It seems unlikely that a disease would cause that much damage in such an advanced world. If there's a massive culling of the human population, surely it was because the robots chose to reduce our surplus population.
>>
>>52757950
A disease right now would spread insanely fast if it got to an airport, man.
>>
>>52757162

Cool idea.
>>
>>52757874
I came to that thread just to post that
You're not alone, anon
>>
>>52757950
Actually..

>20XX
>global debt bubble burst
>society realizes there aren't enough opportunities worldwide for the population, someone will always be unemployed, undereducated, you don't need 10 billion doctors and scientists
>social safety net expands
>outbreak starts out in schools and because 'reason' targets the mid-aged and healthy, instead of the old the sick and the young
>maybe its primarily sexually transmitted who knows
>world left with a massive generation gap and massive knowledge gap
>the elderly try to teach what they can but there are only so many years left for them to teach so much

What follows is a collapse due to not enough time instead of too much strife, far less hatreds to handwave if there was no war during the downfall. Leads to some pretty good cute funtime apocalypse society.
>>
>>52754835

I want to make a character in bright post-apoc setting that drives around in a poorly repaired/maintained 18 wheeler modified for either biofuel or hydrogen fuel. The trailer has two sections: one for fuel production while camping, and the other full of pre-war textbooks and trade skill manuals. He goes from settlement to settlement letting folks copy the texts in exchange for copies of others and/or supplies.

Maybe he'll pick up a traveling companion at some point as he moves up and down the US east coast.
>>
>>52757874
It's not really "post apocalypic" though, more of humanity naturally declining over time.
>>
>>52757874
No you're blind >>52753315
>>
>>52758006
So? We're not talking about the present day, we're talking about a far future with magic indestructible infrastructure and means of production.
>>
>>52758240
Cool story, bro
>>
>>52753176
Things are getting better.

The world didn't end. It just changed.
It got much worse than it used to be but now the worst is over and things are getting better.
Clean water, edible food, medicine and plenty of other things are scarce but they are getting more and more available every year.
Cities are in ruins and the countryside is packed with bandits and monsters. But from the ashes, stable communities arise and, through trade, they are bringing back civilization.

Today is still a struggle.
But things are getting better everyday.
>>
>>52757162
>>52755274
>>52754274
What's the best system for this kind of thing?
>>
>>52759032
GURPS is great for gritty post-apoc with tense combat. Savage Worlds is better for more tense battles with less rules.
>>
>>52753807
Construction worker here:
Depends slightly on the method of construction.
Most apartment buildings have concrete encased steel frames.
Concrete is good, sturdy stuff. there's numerous sunken concrete fixtures around the world, everything from art installations to artificial reef foundations.
It's the thin rolled steel framing and drywall that make up the interior walls of most buildings that would crumble and rot away long before the steel started to go.
In warm water, with gradually rising water levels, you'd have plenty of time to assess whether or not a structure would endure the flooding, and even take precautions like applying spray concrete insulation to exposed overhead joists.
Anyhow, i say it's all part of the setting, and handwave it for the purposes of enjoyment.
>>
>>52756294
Imagine living on that tiny little island in the centre of the pacific. So impossibly alone.
>>
>>52759243
Assuming I'm looking at the scale right it's about the size of one of the smaller Hawaiian islands now, so I doubt you'd be "alone".
>>
>>52756428
>nasty stuff like raid, rape and slavery, more openly than in other series like it
Wouldn't these things exist in a non-grimdark setting? It's just you are able to put a stop to the problem, rather than being forced to accept them as a part of the world you live in. You need conflict to have a game, otherwise you might as well just play house.
>>
>>52753729
Frankly, what's left of The Walking Dead and this new Into the Badlands show is making this idea an uphill struggle.
>>
>>52759358
>non-combat games cannot exist
What?

In a post-apocalypse world, getting something like uncontaminated water can be an adventure. If they need some more sophisticated things like soap, it might become really difficult.

Of course, hostile people would exist, but mind you remember, in a comfy setting, most people have probably managed to settle down in their own little settlements, and raiders are a serious, but a rare threat.
>>
File: FadxtYE.jpg (377KB, 1200x1554px) Image search: [Google]
FadxtYE.jpg
377KB, 1200x1554px
>>52758109
I'm just torn between keeping it manmade horrors only or adding in some kind of alien or occult horrors to the mix as well.

>>52759429
What?
>>
>>52753729
Because instead of dreary miserable unhappiness, the give a feel of bountiful life and possibility, especially when the sun is shining
>>
>>52753375
>>52753416
>>52753481
>>52753662
>>52755274
Was it ever decided on what system CATastrophe would even use?
>>
File: The_Rebels.png (357KB, 497x355px) Image search: [Google]
The_Rebels.png
357KB, 497x355px
Bobobo
>>
>>52753176
A virus killed everyone except mormons.
>>
>>52759737
That just brings to mind the conspiracy theory with my friends that mormons are a conspiracy to make people be more nice to each other.
>>
>>52756392
Had to do some scrounging but found it!
http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/chikyuu-no-houkago

Enjoy
>>
>>52759817
I think that's one of their goals, yes. Don't know if it counts as a conspiracy if it's something they openly preach.
>>
>>52757748
What system? How are you going to balance the madness / military aspects?
>>
File: 1398457381071.jpg (757KB, 1800x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1398457381071.jpg
757KB, 1800x1125px
>>52757870
Why did Engine Heart get a kickstarter but not CATastrophe?
>>
>>52756089
first part is already happening
>>
>>52759887
Because Engine Heart was an idea with a central creator behind it and CATastrophe was too collaborative for someone to claim the kickstarter monies for it without starting shit
>>
>>52759294
>>52759243
Isn't that the Big Island? Looks like a peak survived.
>>
>>52753176
Nechronica, but focus on the joy of being alive again and investigating the ruined cities and stuff rather than the whole 'oh shit we're dead' bits.
>>
File: 1491378606691.jpg (534KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491378606691.jpg
534KB, 1920x1080px
>>52757783
Destiny can be either noblebright or grimdark depending on what you want the moon to be. On one hand you have Guardians running around and acting like ancient heroes protecting mankind, but on the other you have stuff like the Great Disaster, Dredgen Yor, and the Vex writing people out of time.

As well as the inevitable Cabal invasion
>>
>>52753176
the ending credits of fightclub
>>
>>52753176
Fallout New Vegas. Sure the bombs dropped and there are all kinds of nasty critters running around but people have managed to rebuild. Goodsprings is a cozy little desert community of kind folks. Not to say things are great but such a setting reflects the world as we know it; good, bad, and everything in between.
>>
File: Low_Life_Races.jpg (142KB, 700x377px) Image search: [Google]
Low_Life_Races.jpg
142KB, 700x377px
>>52753176
The Low Life setting of Savage Worlds does a good job. Hell there at least 5 apocalypses happened and while humanity isn't around anymore the races in my image have all carved out a decent, if exceptionally strange, set of societies.
>>
>>52761207
Fallout always struck me as a setting where everything has gone to shit right before you show up and everything is going to go to shit an hour after you leave
>>
One can have a (relatively) green world even after a nuclear apocalypse. This would entail setting the game in certain locales (most probably places that may or may not have been in the nuclear fallout zones, but weren't anywhere near the actual bomb sites), or a nuclear apocalypse of a different nature (nuclear energy becomes extremely popular, something happens to fuck up all the reactors in the worst possible way [Illuminati, Aliens, Magic, Something Unrelated Goes Wrong, etcetera], lots of Fukushimas / Chernobyls). People just greatly prefer the Mad Max-style wasteland because it's fairly easy to work with.

For not being gimdark you just… well, don't purposefully inject Grimdark into it? Set the narrative somewhere unlikely to see the worst of the nuclear fallout / bombings (preferably someplace rural, which also gives an excuse for there to be a ready supply of things like horses and other animals / a supply of food) and focus on how they get around the complete upheaval. With certain materials limited in availability tech jumps "backwards" to some degrees in several areas because said technology is still functional but doesn't consume suddenly valuable resources (or rely upon others that will be unusable in a few more years).

The focus of the game could invoke Megaman Legends (as invoked >>52753662 ), only in this case instead of Reaverbot Ruins it's the crumbling and overgrown cities. Adventurers doing the delves would most probably fall into one of two groups:
1) Those with the right protective gear to safely participate in these runs (let's call these the minority)
2) Those who don't mind the fact that they're cutting their life expectancy down to another 20-30 years (the old, terminally ill, people who find the thrill of such exploration (and the potential profit from a good haul) worth it, etcetera).
>>
Does anyone have an example of "grimbright" settings?

What about "nobledark?"
>>
>>52753176
Hope. Things may be busted up to hell and gone, but but something good can still be rebuilt from the rubble
The Postman and the ancient RPG called The Morrow Project are good examples
>>
>>52761249
I would agree that is the impression most get but to me it always seemed like even when things are going to shit there is an overall progression going on in society. Take the city of New Vegas itself. Years before you show-up it was a savage city of feuding gangs and chaos. Come House waking-up again he establishes order and when you arrive has a plan laid out to bring humanity (at least in Vegas and the surrounding area) back to where they were. Sure it might go to shit again but every time that happens the cycle seems to get closer and closer to being broken.
>>
>>52753176
Sora no Woto. It's actually totally grimdark but the girls don't know it until the very end, when Rio reveals that the Earth is basically dying and it's all going to become desert.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (230KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
230KB, 1280x720px
>>52753176
>>
>>52753176
The end came, swathes died, and the world shook. Civilization shattered into a million pieces.

But that fever broke years ago, as a kind of stability took form. Small towns that were spared the destruction, surviving military units providing protection to wayward civilians in exchange for food and work in a weird feudal way, cubicle clans wheeling and dealing in the graveyard of megapolitan areas, and the highway nomads keeping trade open.

People band together, it's kind of Humanity's thing as a species. Sure, they're not exactly going to be on the cutting edge anymore, but relearning things and misinterpreting the Before Times is half the fun. The world's littered with treasure, secrets, and weird shit.
>>
>>52757594
THANK GOD
>>
>>52753176
Make sure to show off the fact that the world is recovering and not stagnating in an eternal pit of grim darkness. In other words, more like Fallout New Vegas than 3.
>>
>>52756105
Jerkinko, The Manager of MEN
>>
>>52753325
How the fuck did they get a trolley bus to Oceana?
>>
File: AmazingGrace.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
AmazingGrace.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>52756285
>amazing
Amazing you say.
>>
>>52762928
More importantly, how do they get more? That public transportation system looks like a nightmare.

>"I'm at Rig #103, what's the fastest route to Rig #67?"
>"How fast can you swim?"
>"What?"
>"Would you rather take the trolleys sequentially?"
>>
>>52757473
Updated?! ttyl ima read it all sucka.
>>
that Zero Dawn Game is an alright example, decent flavor to the lore, not terribly unique but its all in execution I'd say
>>
>>52761426
How would grimbright even work?
>>
>>52763358
HZD is kind of generic, but nice for what it is. Main character brings it down a bit with her views on others, but it's a nice world that has those sort of tribal beliefs about the world that was before.
>>
>>52763809
Grimbright basically boils down to how the world is very cheerful and nice on the surface, and things should be good for everyone living there, but it gets brought down because people are selfish and terrible.

I've seen Mirror's Edge given as an example, though haven't played it personally. I do know there's some shadow organization under the bright exterior of that world though, so it may be a surface-level example.
>>
>>52763809
I think Adventure Time would fall under grimbright.
>>
>>52763829
her views at least make sense, life as an outcast, justifies the go it alone video game protagonist mentality well, even her mumbling to herself like the homeless person she actually is
>>
>>52763809
Grim=lack of meaningful actions, a hero will ultimately have no impact on the setting as a whole

Noble=ample chances to affect the world, the hero's actions are importaint, and even small victories are important

Dark=Sad, tragic and oppressive

Bright=Happy, victorious, optomistic
>>
>>52763952
I dunno. It just felt odd how she's constantly treating everyone around her like idiots for believing in their god and that ancient ruins are mysterious and dangerous. Two very reasonable things.

I could understand not caring about the latter since she found her fancy magic HUD in one, but she simultaneously knows barely anything about the world and seems incredibly smug about the explanations other people have for it.

Like, she's had even less education then everyone else, and fancies herself a scientist who knows that these 'demons' aren't actually demons but just incredibly dangerous corrupting machines that nobody's seen before? Despite the fact that she probably hasn't heard the word Demon used before and doesn't know it's a term for a fantastical creature? It gets old really fast.
>>
File: 1417642628509.jpg (144KB, 768x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1417642628509.jpg
144KB, 768x1100px
>>52753399
Just because its hopeless doesn't mean its grimdark.
YKK pulls off a perfect blend of melancholic wistfulness and calm peacefulness that all non-grimdark post-apocalyptic should strive for
>>
>>52764007
well she IS a Genius, having figured out some things even without the device, intuiting the earth as round from simply looking at an eclipse, it's probably a mix of both, outcast plus smarts equals smug, topped off by being barely out of her teens, The Nora have done basically nothing to Endear her to their beliefs, so when she sees them praying to a door, she sees it as a symbol of the cause of her pointless suffering.

I do admit I wish she'd ease up and think of others, but her selfishness is a character flaw, sadly only Sylense calls her on it
>>
File: nevada[1].jpg (641KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nevada[1].jpg
641KB, 2560x1600px
>>52753729
>Why are green and blue the best colors for a post apocalyptic world?

They're the colors of fertile land. The red-orange deserts of Nevada are stunningly beautiful but hard to live in.
>>
File: 1462398380758.jpg (51KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1462398380758.jpg
51KB, 600x450px
>>52753715
>>
>>52753729
>>52765190
>tfw no Purple apocalypse
>>
>>52764067
>YKK pulls off a perfect blend of melancholic wistfulness and calm peacefulness that all non-grimdark post-apocalyptic should strive for

I didn't get the impression that it was post-apocalyptic, more that it was post-singularity.
>>
>>52753715
Normally, I'm not a Humanity Fuck Yeah guy.
But I want Space Marines to land and blow Jekinko's head off.
>>
>>52761426
Like another anon already mentioned, Adventure Time could be considered Grimbright

As for nobledark, LotR is probably the best example: unspeakable evil, everything is going to shit, but through the actions of a few heroes, good gains enough momentum to defeat evil
>>
>>52765267
Its a twilight of humanity apocalypse, where humanity as a viable species has slipped into an unrecoverable state
The setting only seems peaceful and calm because Alpha provides our perspective. Things are supposedly much much tougher for the humans left around
>>
>>52753176

Megaman Legends, maybe?
>>
>>52761337
>One can have a (relatively) green world even after a nuclear apocalypse.

Well duh, our planet has survived way worse than anything we can do to it. It can always start again after we're gone.
>>
>>52753176
place in a small town in a remote location some few hundred years after habbening.

>raiders almost always pass by because nothing worth looting/diplomacy
>large city state near by too busy repelling invaders to annex
>>
>>52765498
>Its a twilight of humanity apocalypse, where humanity as a viable species has slipped into an unrecoverable state

That wasn't what it looked like to me at all.
>>
Set it so far after the apocalypse that it's questionable whether it even counts as post-apocalyptic any more.

My favorite fantasy setting had almost all the gods die at least 1,500 years ago; the main (obvious) effect on the modern day is that there are very few places where you're further than three day's travel from the nearest ruins of some heaven or another that plummeted to earth when its master bit it - and there's a good chance it's unplundered, too.
>>
Just here to say that the nuclear winter is massively overblown and probably won't happen even if all the nukes are detonated.
>>
>>52753481
>>52753416
These make me think of all the proposed plans for eco-ocean cities.
>>
>>52753176

Kevin Costner's Waterworld?
>>
>>52757783
You mean there's some weird space orb that's raised an undead army to enact its dubious agenda.
>>
Things went to shit but they're stable enough to build a life now. That's how it is.

Now only the assholes are assholes, everyone else is over the happenings already and have something better to do than chimp out constantly.
>>
>>52753176
>Grimbright
The world is an apocalyptic wasteland, but at least mankind now has the opportunity to start fresh. Mankind wasn't broken by the end of the world, they adapted and persisted.

>Nobledark
The apocalypse is lush and green rather than dead and barren. Animals aren't mutated, and there are no zombies running around. However, it seems as if mankind will never again be able to rise above being scavengers and marauders.¨

>Noblebright
The world ended, but that was such a long time ago that no one even remembers it. Let's instead explore this bizarre new world and hunt for ancient treasures.
>>
>>52759819
So I'm reading this and I got to chapter 17.

Holy shit I wasn't expecting to be scared like that.
>>
>>52766216

Nuclear winter isn't from the radiation or anything, it's from shit being on fire. And it'll happen, just not as badly as we originally estimated. Best case scenario, it cancels out global warming.
>>
>>52766118
>very few places where you're further than three day's travel from the nearest ruins of some heaven or another that plummeted to earth when its master bit it - and there's a good chance it's unplundered, too.
Unplundered in 1500 years? How come?
>>
>>52766831
Locked gates, weird metaphysics, mourning servants not taking trespassers well, fear of whatever could kill a god, and having a hard time finding anything worthwhile without an understanding of that deity's belief system.

The usual.
>>
>>52766831

Adding to >>52766902,
often they just haven't been found yet - most of the ruins wound up partially or entirely underground as a result of the impact.
>>
>>52759476
Soap is incredibly easy to make depending on your standards of 'soap' and/or knowledge of chemistry. Hell, oil is a basic soap, just find some plant nearby that can make oil.

>>52753176
Make your players Undead instead of alive. Yeah okay the Zombie Apocalypse was probably shit for everyone alive, but you're not alive, you're an Archlich.
>>
>>52753729
Because Real is Brown, and also boring.
>>
The people don't realize it's post apocalyptical / so much time has passed since the apocalypse it's almost mythical.
>>
>>52767414
So modern day
>>
>>52767463

Pretty much, only with more evidence for what came before / fucked up shit than some retarded rusty clockwork thing found in a trireme.
>>
>>52759571
>near gunshots or direct contact activate it
>only explosives can destroy it
Literally all you have to do is walk next to it, plop down some explosives, and then walk to a safe distance. Alternatively, climb into a tree with an RPG.

>the unit is powered by a high-capacity nuclear battery, which can be used to provide energy for bases
>only explosives can destroy it
This is a bad idea.
>>
>>52766349
>waterworld

Grimdark setting for movie executives.
>>
>>52753176
>How do you correctly pull off a post-apocalypse setting that isn't grimdark?

Either make it ridiculous like Six String Samurai, or a fantasy setting like Thundarr the Barbarian.
>>
File: F U N.jpg (57KB, 850x454px) Image search: [Google]
F U N.jpg
57KB, 850x454px
>>52753176
>>
>>52764147
How could one possibly work out the earth is round just from an eclipse? There are plenty of flat-earth models that explain eclipses.
>>
File: Thumbs-up.jpg (35KB, 379x395px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs-up.jpg
35KB, 379x395px
>>52753715
Stop stuff m8.
>>
>>52758327
>It's not really "post apocalypic" though, more of humanity naturally declining over time.
Actually, its purely post-apocalyptic. While its never stated explicitly, its pretty obvious that there has been some kind of major catastrophy that wiped off most of humanity and drove much of earth near-uninhabitable. The rise of ocean is and decline of humanity due to low population are just products of that.
>>
>>52753670
>>52753572
>>52767672
So how happy-go-lucky is it where they're all heavily armed like they plan on taking down a few hundred enemy combatants?
>>
>>52756028

> With the vast seas and skies of this world, you should have all the resources you require. Survive. Explore.
> I expect great things from you.

Why was Chamber so based?
>>
>>52766741
>it's from shit being on fire.
Actually, it's from any thick or dense particles that are released with an explosion (dust, ash, smoke) and following fires into the atmosphere, which absorb sunlight and hence cool the lower levels of atmosphere, which in return produces more ice, which reflects more light, resulting in the infamous snowball earth scenario.
>>
File: 8d439c6f0883f8e93a86c6f4fee0247e.jpg (302KB, 1600x966px) Image search: [Google]
8d439c6f0883f8e93a86c6f4fee0247e.jpg
302KB, 1600x966px
I can't decide between using cat girl style animal people like CATastrophe or just straight up animal people.
Both have their merits.
>>
File: SC1.jpg (58KB, 594x388px) Image search: [Google]
SC1.jpg
58KB, 594x388px
>>52753176
Have the apocalypse be something that more adversely affects society and cultures than the planet. Something like the collapse of law and order, as seen in Mad Max. Everything you know is gone, but gradually, people re-settle. Nothing will go back to the way it used to be, but over time the survivors establish new ways to live, new rules and new cultures of their own.

You have to show humanity at it's worst and at it's best, with an eye towards optimism.
>>
>>52754274
>People start mostly primitive, with only a basic understanding of the "magic" around them, but begin to reverse engineer the tech
That's basically Horizon: Zero Dawn
>>
File: fuiCB19.jpg (347KB, 1524x797px) Image search: [Google]
fuiCB19.jpg
347KB, 1524x797px
>>52767672
>>
>>52755274
I tried to tweek the maid version of this but got nowhere as maid is no good for dungeon crawling
Ryuutama sounds like a great idea. Please do deliver. I also like your map, btw.
>>
>>52753729
Because the green represents growth. It's life coming in and replacing the massive death it has followed.
>>
>>52753715
Do you, by any chance, play HellMOO?
>>
>>52753715
Noice
>>
>>52765901
Humans are living in isolated small communities, nature is taking back the places that used to be cities, technology reached a level of mundane absurdity and some of the technology seems to have blended with nature like the lightpost trees and there are some strange animals and plants that were probably made through bio-engeneering. Robots seem to be the ones to inherit the earth after humans start to die out by a combination of many factors such as small genepool left and robots making a peaceful takeover.

In other settings this could be a grimdark scenario but in YKK it is a peaceful thing, the slow, peaceful death of humans.
>>
>>52754274
>if all the ice caps in the world melted the Golden Gate would still be above water
It'd likely implode due to the effects of the rising tide on the surrounding area. Bridges don't exist independent of the shores.
>>
>>52766587
I know right? Like goddamn son...
>>
>Implying the apocalypse was nuclear
Humanity, having survived nuclear war in the past, has spent decades in a dreamlike, heavenly state due to hyper-advanced technology creating an elaborate virtual reality and sustaining their fantasies for years.
However, as the population slowly dwindles to less than a million due to the attrition of time, the caretaker machines recognize that their human masters require an opportunity to strain themselves and test their minds in order to sustain their will to live.
Humans are systematically released into the 'real world, their bodies slowly becoming re-acclimated to the harsh reality of physics. Some don't know how to react. A few commit suicide.
Eventually, however, humanity slowly begins to take back the world they've left for so long, farming and hunting by hand for the first time in hundreds of years.Ambition begins to stir in the hearts of man, and as tribes begin to form, one question remains unanswered:
>Can you build a civilization that can last the test of time?
>>
File: 1472785169441.png (825KB, 850x780px) Image search: [Google]
1472785169441.png
825KB, 850x780px
>>52769556
>not playing with C2C and starting without Language or Nomadic Lifestyle researched
>>
File: 1491816784242.png (391KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
1491816784242.png
391KB, 800x733px
>>52769537
>>52766587
>Gets to chapter 32

WAIT THAT'S IT?!?!?
THAT'S ALL THERE IS?!?!?
>>
>>52759084
If you go the GURPS route, make sure to use the After the End line of books (there's only 3, with 1 being setting ideas).
>>
Look up Kemono Friends. It doesn't lose the sense of fun, wonder, discovery, life going on and what it means to be human even if the MC is the last
>>
>>52769591
Yea
Sad isn't it
>>
>>52768177
>Something like the collapse of law and order, as seen in Mad Max.
Yeah - reminder that in the original film(s), the apocalypse happened elsewhere, Australia just fell apart on its own. They weren't nuked, they didn't get horrible death plagues, things just... broke down.
>>
How hard would it be to build and maintain 172s with door-mounted Deuces?
>>
>>52769009
Not him, but I did play it. The crafting system was really neat. Building your own airplane and then using it to drop dirty bombs on FC was great fun. Unfortunately the game has been pussified recently, with pvp going to a more standard model where you have to accept a pvp request. Gone are the days of kicking down doors and machine gunning people fresh out of the cube hotel.

>>52753176
Its quite simple actually. Grimdark shit is focused on things that were lost. 40k, origin of grimdark, is all about the decaying human empire, its failures, its ignorance, and the unwinnable war it is fighting. Its all about things that you lost or you can't do. In order to avoid that, simply do not dwell on what was lost. There are a few ways to do this:

1. Set it far enough into the future that the people living in that time know nothing else but the lives they currently have. To them, these sky scraper ruins are no different than the ruins of Ankor Wat are to us; they're interested but they feel no true sense of loss related to them.

2. Make sure the world has progressed in the time between the setting and whatever ended the world. Part of the problem with fallout's world is that even after hundreds of years, the world is still not much more than scattered tiny settlements and scavengers nibbling 2 century old canned beans. It forces you to confront the loss constantly because of it, and everything is nothing but an echo of the past with nothing truely new. The world in the wake of a great disaster would not simply lay around in squalor. Regardless of how much was destroyed, the survivors would have some degree of modern knowledge and understanding. Would we be making super computers right after? No. But we wouldn't descend into caveman stasis and just sit there. A few hundred years after the blast and the world could very easily resemble the early industrial revolution. Not to mention the fact that nature would come back in a big way.
>>
>>52770113
Even if we descended into caveman stasis you'd expect that to be a thing but instead it's always knockoff Fallout
>>
File: dogsofwar.png (730KB, 1064x433px) Image search: [Google]
dogsofwar.png
730KB, 1064x433px
>>52769707
It's surprising how realistic the collapse is, considering how crazy Mad Max gets. A war between two countries results in a global fuel crisis, which in turn leads to the economy freefalling, a crumbling infrastructure and a government that's barely holding together.

I like to think Australia in the first Mad Max is only a few months away from becoming a complete warzone. The biker gangs basically run the roads as they see fit, the government is useless and everything appears to be on it's last legs. Cue three years later and you've got pseudo-medieval leather clad barbarians scavenging and pillaging their way across the Outback.
>>
File: motelB.jpg (42KB, 273x400px) Image search: [Google]
motelB.jpg
42KB, 273x400px
>>52770113
3. Keep in mind that things from the old world would not last terribly long. Shit like the great pyramid or solid stone things would last but most of our great buildings would crumble away within a few generations. They simply are not made to endure without constant maintenance work and stable internal environments. You can get a lot of good info from this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath:_Population_Zero

Concrete and plastic will last a long time but metal rusts and big structures will quickly crumble. They'd find a lot of foundations and maybe some roads, but most of the ruins will just be piles of broken concrete and rusty metal.

What this means is that people alive at this time will probably have a very hard time telling much about what these ruins were actually like and probably won't be as impressed with them as you might think. There's also plenty of room for misinterpretation. If you can find a copy, the book "Motel of Mysteries" is a great example of this, where a motel is thought to be a vast burial complex by future archeologists.
>>
>>52767728
She worked out that it was the world's shadow somehow
>>
>>52770323
This combination of things means that the past in a non-grimdark setting would be something people are curious about or have myths regarding, but it wouldn't be some point of sadness. Fallout is all about rubbing your nose in the mistakes of humanity. A more upbeat end of the world would be focused not on the sins of the past but the actions of the present and the promise of the future.
>>
>>52770382
That doesn't make sense. Randomly coming to the correct conclusion through sheer luck doesn't show intelligence.
>>
>>52770113
Slight side note, but the thing that always drives me crazy about Fallout is how ramshackle everything is. It's all people squatting in bombed out buildings or living in crude shacks. Nobody makes anything new. I understand they might not have industrial processes anymore, but why not cabins or brick and mortar or something? Why no cobblestone roads?

Also, the trash all over every settlement is maddening, especially given this is a society where nobody does anything but scavenge.
>>
>>52770323
Is it just me, or would Motel of Mysteries make a fantastic campaign setting for a non-grimdark post-apocalyptic campaign?
>>
File: india_slum.jpg (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
india_slum.jpg
376KB, 1920x1080px
>>52770432
Here's the actual scene itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ykp6r3JII

>>52770472
I'm fairly certain what they're doing is basing it off modern day slums, as pictured. The problem is that slums like that only exist because the poor are drawn to cities for work and food availability. After the end of the world, people might stay near cities in the short term but they'd rapidly have to spread out into the wilderness to survive. In a generation or two most society would probably resemble things like native Americans with pueblos or Vikings with wooden long houses or any number of other structures built mostly from natural materials. Cities would likely just be places to scavenge building materials, in the same way many ancient structures were pulled apart by newer civilizations to build their homes. No one wants to live in a building that could fall down at any moment, but they'd be fine stealing cinderblocks from it.

>>52770493
It really would, especially if you made the archeology a major part of it and described old world items only in vague terms, without hinting at function so they'd have to figure it out by experimentation or guess work.
>>
>>52770575
A much better answer would have been her seeing the curvature of the horizon from way on top of a mountain or something.

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about though. A big revelation gets dropped on her that should be pretty significant to anyone in the world, but she just acts smug like everyone should know that.
>>
>>52770432
>>52770644
The round eclipse was one of the ways the Chinese and Greeks noticed the Earth was round.
>>
>>52770712
Round, sure, but not a sphere. The leap of logic there is absurd.
>>
>>52770472
Play Fallout 1 and 2 instead of just the messes Bethesda makes.
>>
>>52769591
Yup. That was my exact reaction too. Hope you enjoyed the ride

Gg no reeeeeee
>>
>>52770712
>>52770743
It also requires having the understanding what is happening during an eclipse, or even being in an area to witness one, since eclipses aren't really that common and don't cover huge areas.

She has no way of sorting out what took astronomers and scholars back then lifetimes to actually confirm, especially when she had bigger concerns.

What would be wrong with her just having a 'woah' moment at that revelation?
>>
>>52770743
I still like the game but you're not wrong, I still like to see that sort of thing as an actual character flaw and not just a writing gap, but they could have done that scene better
>>
File: 16496749687485.jpg (240KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
16496749687485.jpg
240KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>52770743
No, it actually makes sense in a way. Even presuming that the Earth is just a flat disc, people knew that the Sun and Moon had different "orbits", relative to the Earth. Unless the Earth literally turned about to face the Sun as the Sun moved (or the Earth did), it was impossible that the Earth could be non-round and still cause disc-shaped eclipses - and it didn't follow the sun, because lunar eclipses can happen at times other than the moon being exactly overheard 12 midnight.

>>52770815
>lifetimes
Chinese people more or less assumed it to be true even though it severely interfered with their center-off-the-map narrative, presumably because they always happened during full moons and because the Moon was known by the Qin dynasty to not give off light of its own but reflect light from the sun.
>>
>>52770815
Probably because her voice actress can't convey wonder at anything and is incapable of speaking over a whisper
>>
>>52757322
dark tower.
The world moved on.
>>
>>52770865
The scene still expects some generosity, we have to accept that Aloy is a genius prodigy type, had some degree of info in her focus that helped her work things out, and that the time she didn't spend time training for the proving was spent pondering that sort of thing
>>
>>52770777
>>52769680
The part where they swam in the flooded city was super cool though
>>
>>52770867
That's the trouble, many writers can't imagine the word moving on from our era in such a true manner
>>
>>52770644
Her character in general is annoying because they're trying so damn hard to make people like her. She's the best at everything, can do anything, is super smart and all the boys like her, and she's the savior of the world who has been cloned to save it AGAIN.

If it weren't for the cartoonishly evil people who hate her, she'd be a mary sue.

>>52770712
As >>52770743 said, round and globe shaped are not the same thing. A coin is round and flat, and many flat earthers say that's exactly what the shape of the earth is, a round disk. The thing is that there are better ways to handle her knowing the world isn't flat. And one of the major problems here is that since its assumed she thinks its flat, that must mean that the population as a whole thinks its flat. Which means that she, alone among everyone else, was smart enough to realize this.

There's a point at which you pile too many achievements and powers onto a character and it just starts getting annoying.
>>
>>52770865
That's still a nation working off a nation's worth of knowledge. It isn't something a single person just woke up and figured out one day.
>>
>>52770910
It doesn't help that the closest thing the setting has to god made her to save the world, making her basically sci-Fi Jesus, and then seeing her reject at that point understandable worship makes it come off as "Jesus was an aethiest" stye anti religion talk
>>
>>52770939
In general it's a problem when trying to write a super smart person, the cast can't be any smarter then the people writing really, so often you get Adam west tier bat deductions dressed up to look smart, it's part of why death note annoyed me
>>
>>52770986
The only other alternative is to Sherlock Holmes it and make the deductions reliant on information which is not told to the reader.
>>
>>52770906
Many writers are shit.

>>52770910
A round disc doesn't even make sense for explaining lunar eclipses, it literally doesn't work

>There's a point at which you pile too many achievements and powers onto a character and it just starts getting annoying.
I agree but then again that's sometimes the case in real life. People like Euler overshadowed their contemporaries in their respective fields so much it's not even funny.

>>52770939
You don't get it. People in ancient days often DID make all their discoveries on their own because it's honestly not even hard to do so if you cared enough to think about it - most people just didn't, because 90% of people didn't have time or interest in pondering the shape of the fucking earth when they could be playing with their kids, farming, or trying to coax the escaped yaks into the pen again.
Look at Eratosthenes. Nothing of what he did is hard at all to someone with rudimentary knowledge of trigonometry, which was a thing by his time, and the interest in setting his contraption up. But he was the first and only one to do it. Most inventions and breakthroughs aren't HARD, per-se, they're just something you need to think of FIRST. Printing presses are incredibly easy to make, toddlers can make them with playdo. But you have to think of seperating letters into individual pieces instead of going for full block-printing, or think of printing at all.

>>52770958
I hate it when people have atheists described as anything but absolutely retarded in worlds where God literally exists. It's like, I don't know, denying the existence of magic after taking Evard's Black Tentacles to the crotch.

>>52771024
The alternative is to actually be intelligent.
>>
>>52771039
Agreed, GAIA might not be a true god but she's damn close and in the Nora's stage id probably pray to it, but as stayed she's remarkably self centered due to having next to no social life before the start of the game, though at least not uncaring
>>
>>52771039
>A round disc doesn't even make sense for explaining lunar eclipses, it literally doesn't work

But you only know it doesn't work thanks to your knowledge of how everything else around it works and how the eclipse actually works. Remember, for a huge portion of history people believed in a geocentric, geostationary view of the universe. Their ideas about exactly what the moon and sun and stars were varied greatly and even the very simple idea that the moon phases were caused by how it faced the sun in relation to us or that a solar eclipse was the moon blocking the sun are not something we can take for granted. Many civilizations believed completely fictional things about how it worked.

Hell, lots of people still believe the phases of the moon are caused by the earth's shadow when they're not. The idea that she could just work these things out without having a huge amount of information about the nature of the universe is like saying you could just reason out the mechanics of nuclear fusion without knowing what atoms are.
>>
>>52771039
>>52771276
To put things shortly, it's possible for her to figure this out, but utterly pointless on top of everything else she has going on.
>>
>>52771276
The Geocentric / Geostationary view literally doesn't matter because what matters here are relative positions and alignments. Try to figure out how you can possibly arrange any combination of the sun, moon, and earth if the Earth is a disc such that the shadow of the Earth is circular. It's not possible for a newly risen full moon to enter eclipse with a circular shadow if the Earth isn't round.
>moon phases
>solar eclipse
Intelligent civilizations knew about it :^)

>>52771347
I didn't say it isn't stupid, I'm saying that it's really not far fetched or difficult to figure this out from scratch if you cared enough to do so.
>>
>>52770891
Hell yea it was. Actually that entire manga is teeming with theme. It really hits home.
>>
>>52771347
It's this sort of thing that makes me hope the next game has a different protagonist
>>
Read FreakAngels by Warren Ellis
>>
West Coast Fallout not East Coast Fallout.
>>
File: basal-cell-ear.jpg (80KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
basal-cell-ear.jpg
80KB, 700x933px
>>52771371
I don't think you understand, mother fucker. She's from a civilization that worships a vault door as their god. They appear to be barely above hunter gatherers; in the very first stages of civilization. Meanwhile, the Egyptians and greeks has the technology and know how to create all sorts of wonders of engineering and they still thought that the sun and moon were literally gods doing their thing.

The conception of the moon as a big rock as opposed to the lamplight of apollo's chariot is not something you can just gloss over and its not something that was commonly known or accepted for a long time in human history.

But aloy, this girl who apparently spent her whole childhood and teenage years training to kill robot dinosaurs while living in a shack in the woods, can just deduce all this crap for no reason and with no foundation to base it one.

Whats worse is that the game has a perfectly good excuse for how she would know this: Her focus. Literally all they needed to do is have her say "Oh yeah, I read about this with my focus" and boom, its all explained. She's smart because she was doing research on the old world and learning what they knew, but she's not some impossible genius because her knowledge was built upon the knowledge of those that came before her.

Here, have a picture of a cancerous ear.
>>
>>52770863
Actually this
>>
>>52753375
>>52766318
>>52768084

I heard the faggot who made that game killed himself after he didn't get enough attention
>>
>>52771626
Reminder that basically every classical civilization knew that the Earth was not, in fact, flat.
>>
>>52771702
Then how did Rennisance Europe miss that beat?
>>
>>52771795
Because Churchfags, and only some Churchfags, but the obnoxious and more influential ones. Hell, the Greeks even thought about heliocentrism, only dropping it when they tried looking for a parallax on the stars and couldn't find any (they were assuming that the stars were on the same order of distance as the Kuiper Belt at most, probably just beyond Saturn.
Also for the same reason the official reasoning in China was a flat earth - there's a lot of biblical locations at places like the center of the world and so on that only actually make any goddamn sense if the world has, you know, a center.
>>
>>52771702
Yeah but they mostly figured it out from other methods such as the curvature of the earth or how the sun casts shadows on the surface of the planet and such, if I recall.

Astronomy in terms of a realistic view of the universe is a very new invention in human history.
>>
>>52770906
Degenesis
>>
>>52771895
So it's the classic case of the wrong people in power only accepting facts they like, at least with the Greeks it's just a matter of missing critical info
>>
>>52771795
They didn't.
>>
>>52772030
Then what the fuck has history class been telling me?!
>>
>>52765207
Purple apocalypse is the Mind Worm reflowering of Alpha Centauri.
>>
>>52770472

Listen to >>52770745, Fallout 3 and 4 are known for shit like that. New Vegas had way less of it.
>>
>>52770315
If there's a fuel crisis, then won't the biker gangs and vehicle raiders run out of fuel too? They can't maintain pillaging if they can't get their warband across the wastes. They'll have to settle.
>>
>>52771895
Greeks knew about the Kuiper Belt?

>>52772058
>American """"education"""" system
>>
>>52772910
The most successful post-apocalyptic raiders will be the ones that loot a horse ranch as their first stop and raid farms rather than fuel stations.

All those well-manicured lawns are gonna get plenty overgrown for horses to graze on
>>
>>52772927
I don't think he's saying they knew about it, but they knew about Saturn and expected the stars to be a mass of orbiting bodies just beyond that. In the same area the Kuiper Belt is, but not that they would have known there was anything other than stars there.
>>
>>52772966
I like this idea!
>>
>>52772927
>Greeks knew about the Kuiper Belt?
No, but they imagined that the fixed stars couldn't be much further out than Saturn, meaning the parallax should be measureaable with the tools they had. They didn't expect parallaxes on the order of milliarcseconds, they expected ones on the order of many arc minutes.

>>52772993
Slight correction, the stars were expected to be fixed, unmoving.
>>
>>52771795
Actually, they didn't. They knew it was round. But they depicted it as metaphorically flat, centered around Jerusalem. Because Jerusalem was the center of the world.

Columbus also wasn't trying to prove it was round. That's stupid bullshit. He was trying to prove it was way smaller than it actually was, and that you could just trade with the Far East by sailing the opposite direction. The fact that he smacked into the New World is the only reason he lived - if there wasn't a continent and accompanying islands there, his crew would have all died.
>>
File: 1350770628389.jpg (95KB, 640x774px) Image search: [Google]
1350770628389.jpg
95KB, 640x774px
>>52771675
So I can just take over the project and make my own thing now since the original dude is dead?
>>
>>52773489
Please do.
>>
File: CAT basr.jpg (837KB, 1800x1273px) Image search: [Google]
CAT basr.jpg
837KB, 1800x1273px
>>52773489
CATastrophe was always a loosely defined setting where you can just fill in most of the gaps.
>>
>>52753176
The setting is 100 years into the future. People returned to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle living in the ruins of civilization. Tribes are based around a few families and are largely nomadic. Old technology, especially ones reliant on electrical power, is mostly ignored except in cases of entertainment like music and books. The collapse of civilization and loss of such a large portion of the population makes things like resource scarcity a thing of the past, conflict is almost always on the personal grudge level rather than a matter of survival. There are ancestral memories of a much darker past immediately after whatever cataclysm occurred were in wicked men ran rampant, birthing new legends and fairy tales to replace the old ones.
>>
File: 1354727307229.jpg (875KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1354727307229.jpg
875KB, 1920x1080px
>>52773631
My idea has been it's on a terraformed Venus instead of Earth because I think that's more interesting and lets there be stuff like old facilities, like science bases from before the full terraforming process was complete and there was ocean there, on the actual deep ocean floor instead of just the recently flooded old civilization.

It would basically be the same but with a more interesting landmass, the majority of the population living in the coastal regions and the island chains Taking a bit of artistic liscence with Venus' actual shape so it won't be 100% scientifically accurate.

I've been debating about making it just all sci-fi or adding in elements of magic and occult stuff in addition to the post-post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

Also what system to use, the TAIL system idea was pretty neat, but I'm trying to figure out how to make things like diving and all that feel good in the system, scavenging and and crafting will be important too.

For now the coastal biome and the shallows will be the most fleshed out as it's what was included in the original idea, but I want to add in desert highlands, thick rainforests and jungles, poison swamps and the treacherous depths of the ocean.

Having mental stability be important and lots of camping and comfy relaxing to improve mental stability. Seeing as going from a life of lounging in a beach house to surviving in a terrifying marshland would take a toll on naive nekomimi.
We've been thinking of representing this by having a Jenga tower
to show mental stability, and when damaging things happen you have to pull a piece from the tower, and during resting periods or other situations it can be rebuilt to recover.

If it falls over bad things can happen.
We got the idea from the game Dread which uses a similar mechanic for determining if characters live or die.
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/HiveMind

People are still around, they've just advanced beyond you. Enjoy being an obsolete evolutionary relic.
>>
>>52774218
like the original I am Legend story
>>
>>52771562
on that Topic what would be a good starting template for playing with the HZD setting? I feel like tribal backgrounds should factor in as part of the gameplay, like different bonuses to different states based on your cultural background
>>
File: settlements04.jpg (201KB, 1600x602px) Image search: [Google]
settlements04.jpg
201KB, 1600x602px
>>52774058
What you've described is my aesthetic right there
>>
File: 1350774763007.jpg (263KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1350774763007.jpg
263KB, 1200x800px
>>52774831
>settlements04.jpg
>04
Do you have more?
>>
>>52770863
That show could've been better.
>>
File: floating village.jpg (251KB, 1400x705px) Image search: [Google]
floating village.jpg
251KB, 1400x705px
>>52774873
Not of that particular one, but I have a relevant Titanfall concept art and Assassin's Creed 4 stuff that's in a similar vein.
>>
File: AC4_Crooked_Island.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AC4_Crooked_Island.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>52774926
>>
File: AC4_Arroyos.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AC4_Arroyos.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>52774952
>>
>>52774926
Also the artist's artstation page is https://www.artstation.com/artist/hethe
>>
File: danny-gardner-a3-1400.jpg (497KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
danny-gardner-a3-1400.jpg
497KB, 1200x802px
>>52774972
>>
>>52774926
>>52774952
>>52774972
Anyone has pics of the Post Second Impact boat village of Evangelion?
>>
File: doubleking.png (38KB, 130x250px) Image search: [Google]
doubleking.png
38KB, 130x250px
>>52753176
Make it funny. Everyone's gone mad and nobody seems to notice. Bad things happen but they're not any less devastating than anything else.

Basically imagine a player group of Mad Max road raiders who get into wacky shenanigans every day. People die, but nobody grieves.
>>
>>52761426
The most recent Grimbright setting I've seen is Kemono Friends.
Thread posts: 297
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.