[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Avatar collage.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2MB, 2560x1440px
Just popping in to say that creating unique upgrade trees for multiple bending skills for each of the four elements while maintaining variety beyond "fire punch ability #478" is much more difficult than I anticipated.

How about an inspiration thread? What do you other game makers do in order to unique-ify your custom techniques, talents, and abilities?
>>
File: Basic Form_ Air Compression.png (44KB, 847x773px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Form_ Air Compression.png
44KB, 847x773px
Here's an example ability.
>>
>>52753160
I would just try to look at what things can actually be done with the stuff, and maybe have looser definitions of stuff.
>>
>>52753887
Thanks! This is definitely good advice. I've been pulling from the Avatar source material to try and recreate (loosely) the abilities showcased in the show. of course, the hard part is making certain abilities function and feel unique.
>>
>>52754347
I'm gonna say you don't want to have too much, customisation is nice, but no-one is gonna read through a ton of pages of abilities just to try and find ones they like.
How many abilities are you looking to have per element? Because if you're offering customisation for each ability, you're gonna end up with an exponential amount of shit to do.
>>
>>52754424
I'm looking at just five per element for the time being (one for each tier of the five ranks in the Bending skill).

You're right, I can definitely see how this is going to grow tedious. In fairness, I already have 2 skills for each element fleshed out.
>>
>>52754424
Also, you underestimate my players, lol. They are dying to explore a highly customizable avatar-world character.
>>
>>52754595
5 sounds about right, what were you thinking for them then?
The only ones I can think of are:
>Water
Healing
Water manipulation
Ice manipulation/cooling
Bloodbending
???
>Fire
Fire manipulation/heating
Lightning/energy manipulation
Offensive body enhancement
???
>Earth
Earth manipulation
Lava manipulation
Defensive body enhancement
Vibrolocation
Metal manipulation
>Air
Air manipulation
Spiritual communication
Agility enhancement
???
???

I couldn't remember whether lava bending was with fire bending or earth bending though.
>>
File: Basic Form_ Water Whip.png (53KB, 847x814px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Form_ Water Whip.png
53KB, 847x814px
>>52754834

Some of those are really good suggestions, and have definitely been considered but not yet implemented (like Healing and Earth's Seismic Sense)

Since I'm basing the game off the core mechanics from FFGSWRPG, the abilities themselves are actually structured to be a *little bit more* specific and specialized than a general "[Element] Manipulation]".

For example, the ability linked above is one specific airbending ability that has its own upgrade tree, while certain movement enhancements are passive talents that can be acquired and are one-off abilities.

Here is another example ability, this time a waterbender technique: "Water Whip"

So the idea is to create at least 5 unique "moves" that each serve their own combative (and/or utilitarian) function. Some of these moves, like Water Whip, are attempts to port abilities seen throughout the show in multiple instances.

Other abilities, like "Air Compression" above are an attempt to generalize an element's general style and its overall applications. Thus drawing that particular style to its combative and utilitarian conclusions.
>>
File: Basic Form_ Water Bullet.png (47KB, 847x814px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Form_ Water Bullet.png
47KB, 847x814px
>>52754995
Waterbenders will be able to "Phase Shift" their bending between water and ice first as a Maneuver, then later as an Incidental (when they gain more experience and "training").

So certain waterbending techniques, like pic related, are based off their use in liquid form. But if a waterbender uses "phase shift" to turn the bullets into ice, they'll go from dealing strain damage to wound damage (as well as taking on the Pierce 1 damage quality).
>>
>>52755091
Seems neat, I thought you were gonna be starting with more vague stuff, but I'm not really familiar with any of the mechanics, so anything I can suggest is gonna be limited in scope.
Do you have sort of "free floating" abilites, such as acrobatics/martial arts/etc, which don't belong to an element?
>>
>>52755297
Oh yea, I definitely do for both benders and nonbender characters alike.

If you want to check out the [alpha version] core rulebook, please feel free!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCD0NBMaCJ54njx0uXVjzsV60iw-L7ViEWJndwom3vQ/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>52755517
Looks good, honestly, my only issue is that there's a lot of things to keep track of in a fight, but most people I play with have issues keeping up with 5e, so I guess that's more of a perception thing.
>>
>>52756236

having experience playing FFG Star Wars, you're definitely right that it can get a little crunchy. Knowing when you have bonuses (and when to apply them) is extra work on the part of the player, but - in my experience - I find its roughly as cumbersome as any 5e game. Sometimes a little less so since combat in FFG is supposed to lean toward a narrative resolution and less so combat/crunchy mechanics (though they *are* still present).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.