[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ gets its shit together and makes a badass setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 292
Thread images: 28

File: 1492128239758.jpg (24KB, 314x295px) Image search: [Google]
1492128239758.jpg
24KB, 314x295px
Everyone, we haven't had one of these threads in at least a month, let's fire up the fryvat and get those creative juices sizzling!

Digits decide the genre of the setting.

> Mythic fantasy bronze age collapse
>>
>>52742826

A strange moon like object comes into orbit around the planet. It only ever hovera over one spot keeping it eternally in it's shadow.

Monsters of all sorts begin to appear and never seem to leave the shadow.
>>
Mist shrouded stretch of coast along a dangerous, ocean.
>>
Core of an alien planet that has been violently mutated by human scientists in the far future, sentient muck dawn of civilization from inside.
>>
>>52742826

Medium Fantasy !Not!Italy, in the midst of the Renaissance: plate mail, muskets, trade houses, monarchies, court wizards, crime syndicates, and religious fanatics galore.
>>
Sergals are common.
>>
File: 2016-09-09-15-51-07--241414890.jpg (18KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-09-15-51-07--241414890.jpg
18KB, 298x169px
>>52742826
>>
>>52742826
low level supers espionage thriller
>>
>>52742826
Tribal epic fantasy set in Madagascar mythology archipelago
>>
>>52742826

High Fantasy, but all of the nonhuman races are insectoid, magic sustains life, and magic is fueled by slowly receding ley line networks, causing conflict.
>>
>>52742867
I like this.
I was thinking that the monsters would grow from various fungi, that is "irradiated" in a sense by light reflected off of the moon. Maybe a more constant faded yellow color? The monsters would consistently grow various amounts of fungi, but this is all based on the moon irradiating fungi.
>>
>>52742826
The universe as a whole is a giant lightning eagle in an infinite void that's constantly hunting for more universes to slaughter.
>>
>>52742826

Fantasy set in the ruins of a technological and gene manipulating human society of the old world where only just recently connected the great towns with their magic horseless carriages.
>>
>>52742826
Weimar era German expressionist hell
>>
>>52742826
Fantasy world war II
>>
>>52743091
I Like this, the fungi irradiatet by the moon isn't even specal fungi in any way. just plain old mushrooms you and i know.
>>
>>52742826
cyberpunk with megacorps and a dissolving government constantly at war causing citywide anarchy
>>
Several civilizations living aboard a planet-sized humanoid giant drifting in space from food source to food source
>>
>>52742826
Great Depression hobo intrigue
>>
>>52742826
High-spirited high fantasy where crazy awesome shit happens on the regular.
>>
>>52743219

Some of the fungi become monsters in their own right but various animals that have ingested the fungai by various means (i.e. eating creatures that have eaten the fungi) have caused them to transform as well.

Humans who have stayed and have been exposed to the moon's light for long period of time also experience a change as well such as have "Beast Eyes" their eyes take on a reddish yellow appearance and sometimes begin to slit like animal eyes.
>>
>>52742826
Paleolithic romantic comedy
>>
>>52743119
Whole galaxies only produce One or two sentient race at a time.

Other races in our current universe (the lightning eagle) are cast off survivors from previous(ly slaughtered) universes
>>
Amnesia TDD-inspired gothic horror where both short and long term madness are a major mechanic.
>>
Superheros are kept cowed by common plebs by use of common iron. When in proximity it renders them weaker than average humans, regardless of superpowers.

They are kept as slaves to grant a pampered, comfortable existence.
>>
File: cave_city_by_etate.jpg (105KB, 900x545px) Image search: [Google]
cave_city_by_etate.jpg
105KB, 900x545px
>>52742826
Horror themed. Everyone is a cartographer trying to chart an infinite city complex in an infinite cave filled with horrible supernatural bullshit and no one can, or even wants to, get out.
>>
>>52742867
>A strange moon like object
>>52743274

The strange moon like object was part of the most recent killed universe.
>>
>>52743299
Winrar
>>
>>52742826
Horny camp counselors at Camp Haunted Burial Ground
>>
>>52743299
WE HAVE A SETTING
>>
>>52743299
Here we have it. What's the next step?
>>
>>52743299
>Last night I had a bad dream
>That I was trapped in the city
>And I asked, is that really such a bad thing?
>>
>>52742826
Hyperfuturistic setting based on Mahabharata saga, taken place in our distant past. The existance of advance tech like automatic energy weapons, hardlight based omniprojectors, antigravity vehicles, and mechanical beast explain every insane feats that heroes of the saga's pull.
>>
>>52743299
Sounds like a lot of Twilight Zone bullshit. No way to fix it, no way to get out, just eat a bullet now and save yourself the trouble. Infinite distance sounds cool but amounts to invisible walls around everything.
>>
File: laughing lions.jpg (126KB, 688x497px) Image search: [Google]
laughing lions.jpg
126KB, 688x497px
>>52742826
>>
>>52743363
The futility of the situation is why it's horror themed. That, and the shit inside the maze.
>>
>>52743299
Ok so what are the playable races? Lets say posts ending in 5, up to five
>>
File: 33.jpg (72KB, 800x673px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
72KB, 800x673px
>>52743392
Just humans. Everything else is one of the horrors.
>>
File: RE_Chimera.png (505KB, 558x900px) Image search: [Google]
RE_Chimera.png
505KB, 558x900px
>>52743392
horrible wingless fly people
>>
>>52743413
Can you Explain more how did the humans get there? I think youre on to something gud
>>
>>52743392
Skinless and flayed humanoids descended from humans who learned too much of forbidden lore within the aforementioned infinite city complex. The descendants are able to function reasonably well in the cartographer society (their ability ro learn forbidden lore without suffering from most of the negative effects helps) but are generally prone to being possessed by horrible supernatural bullshit spirits.
>>
>>52743392
Sentient tumors.
>>
>>52743467
Just a possible idea, but: No one knows how they got here. It's just one of the many unexplained and unsettling details of the setting. No one even questions this, and discussions with others, which are slightly rare, either avoid the subject or mention randomly generated details of a false life. The only thing anyone is actually fully aware of is their need to map the area.
>>
>>52743377
Only humans
>>
>>52743311

The moon is a creature from a recently destroy universe. It wants to turn the planet into it's old home but after many years it's mind has degraded and it's light corrupts everything it touches.
>>
>>52743392
slug people
>>
>>52743515
>>52743545
Which one do we go with?
>>
>>52743511
Horrible beings like?
Mutant beastmen?
Eldrich horrors?
Elongated screeming mask faces?
What are the humans searching for forgotten knowledge? Riches?
>>
>>52743551
I vote only humans.
>>
>>52743515
>>52743545
How about humans and deformed slug humans? Now enemies. Posts ending in 8. Up to ten
>>
>>52743557
>What are the humans searching for

The original post that decided the setting specified that they're compelled to chart the area.
>>
>>52743566
undead skellies reanimated evil ambient magic

constant threat ranging from to severe if there's a lot of them
>>
>>52743557
It varies region by region. The infinite cave has sections where the horrors are all obviously former people, and others where they simply don't leave the shadows and thus have never been seen.
>>
>>52743585
the would be the mangled corpses of the mappers? Or just skelles?
>>
>>52743566
An invulnerable collective of devouring souls claimed by the embodiment of Hunger itself. The collective stalks the cave, existing solely to hunt and devour anyone who dare wander down there. Attempting to fight the collective is no different from suicide, and players are encouraged to drop everything they're doing and run if they know that the collective is approaching their position. When it devours people, their souls are added to the collective forever. Legends has it that if the collective is fattened too much, it will eventually escape to the surface.
>>
>>52743392
>Coalesced souls forming gestalts of similar minded people, makes them utterly impossible to convince or reason with once set on a course of action.

>Come in all manner of forms, rocks, sewer water, books, wrought iron candelabras, the largest of which are said to be immobile underground towers
>>
>>52743612
You could have the mappers lead expiditions into the cave returning to the hub city

If the successfully return the would gain fame
>>
>>52743566
Elongated humanoid figures that stalk the abandoned shanty-towns. They do nothing but stare at you from where they stand, which has the unfortunate effect of paralyzing or even damaging your psyche. They wonder the structures when not staring at cartographers.
>>
>>52743566
Minorities
>>
>>52743628
I'm okay with zombies too
>>
>>52743674
Elongated maniquins >>52743703
faces with blood seeping from their pitch black eyes when the see a mapper the will charge at it with horrible painful screams
>>
>>52743648
So far we have evil hunger jugernaut
>>
>>52743299

This is metal as fuck, I approve. Is there going to be a magic system? If we go with a magic system, it should be fucking terrifying, come at a terrible price, and be incomprehensible to anyone but the magic-user, whose knowledge only scratches the surface.
>>
>>52743566
Faceless meat manikins that mindlessly mimic actual lives in run-down wooden shanty towns in the darker areas of the infinite cave.
>>
>>52743765
The magic system is high cost and horribly low effect. Shit that seems super weak but is pretty useful in the setting.

Sacrifice all your teeth in a five hour ritual to prevent wooden boards from collapsing under you.
>>
>>52743765
>>52743795
I like it. Posts ending in 5 detail parts of the magic system. Spells and shit or just fleshing out how it works
>>
File: 1471999021105.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471999021105.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>52743671
>>
Zealot/cultist/mad wizard humans who've been living in the City Complex long before the first cartographers sat foot in the place. They're impossible to reason or negotiate with, and they would rather kill cartographers and reduce them into material for their spellcrafting and potion brewing before even thinking of them as fellow humans. That all of the other horrors leave them alone (until the zealots provokes them that is) has raised theories that the zealots are no longer humans.
>>
>>52743774
Fleshy puppets made of the bones and flesh of travellers and cartographers there sole porpuse is the break mappers phyce there made by little white men who collect the corpses of dead cartographers and have horrific laughs
>>
File: Birdie.jpg (76KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
Birdie.jpg
76KB, 564x846px
>>52743566
Humanoid carrion crows search for corpses/wounded to devour. The try to fly but merely end up jumping from buildings, sickeningly crunching on the ground before standing and resuming their hunt with broken limbs.
>>
>>52743674
I like this. I will try to see if I can achieve 8 for uncomfortably staring spooky humanoids.
>>
>>52743648
>>52743878

The "canon" enemies so far. Holy fuck.
>>
>>52743902
I know. Think I might writefag this out once it's all said and done
>>
>>52743902
>they both have a thing for devouring
Allies or enemies?
>>
>>52743815
>Magic is deeply tied to the fear in the area, as unease begins simple cantrips and slight of hands are possible.
>As fear raises greater feats of magic are possible, almost all involving the dark, shadows and negative energy
>In the cities, where fear is low and a semblance of life is possible, no magic is seen or enacted
>Deeper in to the ground one goes, people who live in constant fear of what dwells below, there are those who harness their fear and turn it against the darkness to protect enclaves, clan holdings and outposts
>>
>>52743916
I'm pretty amazed that my post ended up deciding the setting, as well as one of the enemies, considering I had been thinking of this setting for a few months.
>>
>>52743929
Will there be a madness or sanity system? It only seems fitting
>>
>>52743939
Which one were you?
>>
>>52743923
The soul thing seems to eat everything and is obviously antagonistic and the bird things are scavenger/hunters of the wounded. They are a force of nature and mindless animals respectively.
>>
>>52743962
He must be the Carrion one, as I wrote the Collective one.
>>
>>52743962
>>52743299 and >>52743878 were mine that got in.
>>
>>52743990
In that case are you against me stealing your ideas?
>>
>>52743953
>Common people, without the gift, fear magic and what it can bring
>They cannot understand that it is their fear that draws the darkness, not the magic
>A balance must be maintained

Place the sanity system in the area, all localized by the population. You can risk increasing the fear level to accomplish something that will result in the lowering of the fear level.
>>
>>52744018
Not at all. I'll make do.
>>
>>52743385
You really do not understand what horror is. A competely futile situation isn't scary; it's just frustrating. If there isn't some kind of internal logic and some way for the characters to work towards their goals, whatever the odds, then there's nothing left for them to do. Very difficult is fine, but actually impossible is pointless.
>>
Yes, let's completely run muh bronze age setting into the ground.
>>
>>52744026
What will the cartographers fight with muskets pole arms? Magic? And how will the kill the ghost?
>>
>>52743566

Basically Japanese hentai tentacle monsters, but instead of raping their victims, they slowly dismember and torture them to feed on their fear and pain. Despite their size, they are extremely good at hiding in unexpected places.
>>
There is a great warrior, one of the greatest, a man capable of defeating even the most powerful of threats in a few blows, with an unbreakable sense of justice. He is also immortal, ensuring the world will always know his protection. There is only one issue.

He is cursed. Cursed to never stop running in one direction. For decades he has ran, ran across the world again and again, striking down evil before continuing on with his accursed trek
>>
>>52744053
A nice idea would be that the city is ruled by a class of cholars who seek forbidden knowledge but dont want to lurk in the cavers themselves so the send out these expiditions to collect it
>>
>>52743566
An infant sized humanoid that latches onto a person and puppets their body around to protect them. Specific ones will only seek out a specific individual as a host. No one knows the reason.
>>
>>52744153
What if cartographers are death row prisoners given a second chance at life if they manage to map down enough of the city complex or at least uncover particularly great knowledge? Until then, they cannot return to the surface world and has to deal with the possibility of being completely devoured by a blob of souls or killed by carrion monsters.
>>
>>52744201
Gonna bump this one
>>
>>52744203
But anon, nobody wants to leave the city. This was specified in the setting. There's something making them want to stay.
>>
>>52744203
>>52744236
stealing this idea from the game Sunless Sea, but too much time in the cave starts to affect you, and eventually you will die if you leave the cave, since you can't survive without the cave magic. They don't tell new prisoners this

Puts a sense of urgency on things, a sort of "map your quota before it's too late"
>>
>>52744086
Hallowed Order of Cartographers are the closest thing to a Church or holy Order their is. There are few forges, metal is rare. Magic is their chief weapon.
>>
Enemy idea: living parts of the maze that shift and trap people, or act as a fisher king / create illusions to try and fuck with you, or get you to be captured by other enemies.
>>
>>52744026
Everyone has their own 'duress' meter that averages out to the area duress? Or should their only be area levels?
>>
>>52744295
>duress
Change duress to a responsibility meter, if the Cartographer is known to the area, they fearful population directs their scorn and fear to them.
>>
>>52744295
Added a duress meter to spells rather than slots or mana
>>
Golems of a robotic nature. The catch is that they're made out of organs, bones and meat. Nobody has been maintaining them, and they're breaking apart. This triggers their protocols and makes them scout out for material to replace their failing ones, usually from humans and certain breeds of horrors lurking around in the city. They're not very clean about how they rip out the stuff, and won't even bother waiting for the victim to die painlessly before they start the procedure. Some mages are interested in acquiring an active meat golem specifically for study in hopes that they can uncover the secrets of golemancy from these things.
>>
>>52744236
They don't want to leave because leaving means they die, staying means they have a chance of survival
They weren't forced down there, they were given the choice to either get the electric chair or go explore the city where they might find their freedom
The government that gave them the choice told them about the monsters, but it didn't tell them just how dangerous they really are
>>
File: 1471113800668.png (242KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471113800668.png
242KB, 333x500px
>>52744236
>The Word of Flesh: A creature that has been around since life first existed. It is how living things come to the infinite city, and it is how no one ever leaves. How it does this is not known, as no one who comes to the city remembers anything beyond the city.

Why, it does this, however, is clear. It uses the city as it's hunting ground. It takes in the flesh of the living, whether they be man or horror. It's mere presence causes flesh to flow away from the body like running water, seeking out the Word, where it is absorbed into it's mass. As the Word of Flesh grows too large, it releases lumps of flesh from it's body, which soon birth more horrors, and continues it's hunt. This cycle is an endless, meaningless process, as people are brought to the city in the hundreds without anyone elses knowledge, and the Word of Flesh continues hunting, over and over.
>>
>>52744331
Does duress limit spells? Say, if the situation's duress isn't high enough, can I not cast fireball?

Or can I always cast spells, and duress just empowers them? Say, a normal flame (the size of a lighter) becomes a fire bolt under duress, and becomes a fireball under extreme duress? (This is just an example, I think magic shouldn't have fireballs, and be more minor utility effects like someone else said earlier)
>>
File: dog thing.jpg (35KB, 680x300px) Image search: [Google]
dog thing.jpg
35KB, 680x300px
>>52743566
Fleshy dogs with a "multiplication" gimmick. When they have the scent of someone, said someone is cursed until the dog dies. The curse makes new malevolent flesh dogs dig out of all blood they spill. The unprepared will quickly and mercilessly find themselves overwhelmed if a blood dog digs a big enough wound on them.
>>
>>52744462
I'm not who suggested it, but I imagine as you cast spells you become duressed. As you become more duressed your physical and mental health deteriotes rapidly. So for example you may be able to cast one fireball safely, but after that your duress is so high that if you cast another one your teeth fall out and you start hearing voices, another and you become blind in one eye and OCD. And it just keeps stacking until you either shut down or completely lose it.
>>
>>52744542
I like the spells increasing duress part, but I also like the idea that to even comprehend Fireball, you have to be blind in one eye, OCD, and hearing voices.
>>
>>52744462
I agree that spells should be small and spooky. Like a spell that creates light but you start to go blind, makes wooden constructions (stairs, bridges) more sturdy but your bones more brittle, or a spell that gives you short-term good luck but terrible luck later.
>>
>>52744686
Say, Calm Animal works just like you'd think it would, but by affecting the animal's mind you're touched by it, and the completely alien mind increases your duress. One creature becomes docile, +10 Duress
>>
>>52744659
>>52744686
>a spell that can temporarily stop the hungry soul enemy, and is the only spell that can do so. Freezing it is the spell's sole function and reason to exist
>it also leaves you dangerously ravenous, makes you hear voices that tells you to devour all the time, and has a chance to not only turn you into a cannibal, but also make it impossible for you to eat anything that don't originate from human or slugmen bodies
>>
>>52744768
> This is the source of the carrion crows.
>>
The pale penguins of the southern expanses are the world's oldest practitioners of magic. Their records date back to a time when they claim an eye-like crater was visible on the moon from their kingdom, and when overlayed by the aurora borealis, the secrets of the universe could be gleaned from the dilating of the crater's iris.
>>
Are slugmen from the cave originally or are they mutated humans?

>>52744872
Of course, these aren't nice, cute-looking penguins, are they?
>>
>>52744896
The latter, so it's technically humans only
>>
We still only have two enemies only. Would anyone mind me rerolling >>52743843?
>>
>>52744896
They're cute alright, especially those hailing from noble bloodlines. That is until the southern lights are right, and then you especially would not want to witness the noble blooded pale ones in their wisest hour.
>>
>>52743357
Yes
>>
>>52743566
Humans corrupted by their sins and desires both physically and mentally. They become ridiculously strong physically although repulsive. Also they gain many unnatural and demonic powers. Think something along the lines of Berserk's apostles and shoggoths and other lesser beings from the Cthulhu mythos.
>>
>>52745023
Reroll
>>
>>52744787
>>52744768
In addition to a special state of mind, most spells also require another focusing agent. A talisman such as a doll, a plant, a tooth, or a scrap of cloth that has something to do with the spell. Or sometimes something as immaterial as a word, a secret, or a symbol, found by brave explorers in forgotten caverns.
>>
Can someone periodically make a post about what's canon in the setting.
>>
>>52745023
Is this the source of the slugmen? As the mind weakens to madness, the body softens. Slugmen have higher starting strength and magical potentially, but are far closer to losing their grasp on their humanity.
>>
>>52742826
>Mythic fantasy bronze age collapse
The height of Byzantinium.
May Saddam fall and burn to the ground!
>>
>>52745023
Rolling again. I'll try one more time if this isn't an 8.
>>
>>52742960
The Lancers and Corsaires, the Pikemen and Swedish guards around the Vatican...

ahh, those were good days.
>>
File: tumblr_np0wowQ1vs1utpxboo1_400.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np0wowQ1vs1utpxboo1_400.gif
1MB, 300x225px
>>52745076
One more time
>>
>>52742892
Sounds like the origin story behind the Gieger Aliens.
>>
Corpse Titans, sentient abominations composed entirely of corpses. Any corpses. Human, Slugman, Carrion, all of these acceptable as corpses for the abominations. Using these corpses as its body, it twists and shapes them to create a vaguely humanoid body. Massive and dangerous, the Corpse Titans wander the alleys of the city, looking for people, horrors and corpses to add into its corpse body. Would two Corpse Titans meet, they will clash and fight to the very end for the rights to assimilate the other into itself. Damage from a Corpse Titan duel is catastrophic enough that Cartographers are usually forced to revise their maps whenever two Corpse Titans end up in a fight.
>>
>>52745049
So far we have a vast city that people explore without knowing why (>>52743299) infested by a collection of forever hungry souls and bird like people (>>52743648 and >>52743878). The only races are human and fucked up humans that look like slug people (>>52743515 and >>52743545) Magic works on Duress, which can physically and mentally ruin you (>>52743765 and >>52744331)
>>
>>52745103
I hope you guys don't mind one reroll.
>>
>>52745049
It's definitely a horror cave setting. Slugmen and humans are canon. Hunger and the Carrion Crows are canon, and it seems like there's some sort of concensus on the style of the magic system, so we'all say that's canon too (they got a few 8's).

>>52745098
Ah, and these guys are now canon, but their origin >>52745062 isn't canon yet unless we can get a few anons to agree on it and roll some 8's
>>
>>52745111
Add >>52745023
Got it in a reroll if that counts >>52745098
>>
>>52743299
you don't understand!

its quiet...down there..
its peaceful. almost like...rest
>>
>>52745118
Congrats! Spooky corpse titans! But what's at the center of the beast?
>>
>>52745098
Got there. Added corrupted humans
>>52745118
Added Corpse Titans
6 enemies left
>>
Maddened Former Cartographers, Bloodborne Style. They're fueled by their own duress and "blossom" into massive flesh and bone abominations under high duress
>>
Classical Hebrew-style angels.

None of that pussy cherub shit. We're talking about shit with too many legs and too many arms, especially too many eyes
>>
>>52745062
>>52745162
Stealing this

The human doesn't just soften into goop, but instead becomes impressionable, malleable. A human obsessed with hunger will find their body growing many mouths to please the mind. A poor soul who just wants to protect their friends will find themselves covered in bony plates and wicked spikes.
>>
>>52745144
one massive beating heart that bleeds pure liquid suffering
>>
The further you go into the cave, the more nonsensical the environment gets. Eventually it becomes an M.C. Escher reality defying thing. This is because in the distant past, a cosmic beyond from beyond reality tried to enter this reality but got stuck in the subspace hole. The inhabitants of the city either fled or were driven insane and died. It is said that the half of the Eldritch being that came into our world is still stuck there in the center of the city although no one has really gotten there yet and made it out sane (or alive).

Also I'll add that many great magicians buried the city underground to stop the unspeakable horrors from escaping and over time people forgot about the Buried City. That is until the king of the realm sent you and the other unlucky death row prisoners were sent to map it out..
>>
>>52745144
Either an eldritch heart or a possessed corpse that's forcibly twisted to be able to connect numerous corpses together to form the beast. Not sure which one is more fitting and/or spookier.
>>
File: 3-IMG_1871.jpg (593KB, 1558x1541px) Image search: [Google]
3-IMG_1871.jpg
593KB, 1558x1541px
>>52745192
Trying again
>>
File: 25d63d317a0ad911e26a6a9f5f072921.jpg (588KB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
25d63d317a0ad911e26a6a9f5f072921.jpg
588KB, 1600x1236px
>>52745187
Sounds like my mother in law
>>
>>52745199
I like the corpse, since from reading the thread it sounds like all the monsters were former humans who succumbed to insanity and became monsters, so maybe the titan was human once, too.

Holy shit, Speak with Dead is gonna be weird in this setting
>>
>>52745192
for one of the magicians of this idea, maybe their familiars are still wandering around somewhere?

nyarlahotep lookin things probably
>>
>>52745181
Rerollin'
>>
File: Satsuki02.png (462KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Satsuki02.png
462KB, 640x480px
>>52743566
A spirit of fire which hijacks victims, compels them to draw together in crowded areas, and spontaneously combust.
>>
>>52745221
You use speak with dead and the entire room starts speaking in tongues
>>
>>52745187
It's also valuable on the black market. Some rich but foolish nobles likes the idea of having the heart of a terrifying beast displayed in the family mansion, and will pay well for one fully intact and still pumping blood.
>>
>>52745234
Massive duress gain, but you gain a good chunk of exp and two spells since some of the maddening whispers actually tried to impart a piece of advice
>>
>>52745228
Added hungry hungry humans
5 enemies left, then we'll do classes
>>
>>52745207
Once more
>>
>>52745245
Added alt rule to Speak with Dead
>>
>>52745231
It takes the form of a flickering flame, a ball of light, or a lantern. Its mere presence draws men to it like a moth to a flame. Within the light, the promise of safety!
>>
>>52743843
I will reroll this, just for one last time.
>>
tentacled abominations that have possessed the corpses of failed cartographers in the depths

they now shamble around, twisting the bodies into shapes they were never meant to take, re-purposing body parts for things they were never meant to do.
>>
A statue of a sleeping faceless figure on a bed.
Touching it usually can give visions of the city in the past and can be helpful to trace a map but can lead to madness.
>>
>>52743566
Dreamcrawlers. They're invisible predators except for their eyes which shine dimly at night. Upon locking eyes with one, a victim begins to see them whenever they close theirs eyes as a skeletal face. They slowly grow ever larger in the mind of the victim until they consume all their thoughts. Victims begin to refuse to sleep, and death comes after several agonizing years either from exhaustion or suicide. Those foolish enough to blind themselves are cursed to always seeing the face of their killer.
>>
>>52745248
Lodestone ants. These ants are drawn to magic and their hive is surely built on a dark secret or priceless artifact. Follow an ant trail and you could make it rich. But you'd better be prepared to face the queen...
>>
>>52745308
Added Dreamcrawlers
>>
insect hives that have made themselves home in the bodies of people. A sort of disgusting symbiotic relationship at best and a horrifying parasitic one at worst.

Sometimes they even explode into a horde of centipedes
>>
New monster:

Dead End:
You make a turn in a the cave system and you find yourself in a somewhat damp tunnel. Reaching the end, you see that it was just a dead end. You move to turn around but your foot is impaled. The air around you has become more humid. Suddenly, hundreds of thousands of eyes in the walls open and the tunnel starts to constrict, more and more teeth and spike come out of the walls and digestive fluid begins dissolving you. Your last thoughts are of the unspeakable pain as you are eaten alive.

The Dead End is a carnivorous worm that burrows in the cave system and mimics a tunnel or separate cave system with their gaping mouth. They are about twice as tall as a normal person and around 25-50 feet long. Once you enter one, it is usually too late to save yourself. A good way to tell whether that fork in the road is a dead end is by paying attention to humidity and the color of the "rocks".
>>
>>52745308
>Okay, Jim, you locked eyes with the Dreamcrawler, so I need you to roll me some Duress checks...

>Uh, how many?

>How many times do you blink per round?

Nasty
>>
I feel like that it's probably a rule to inform new cartographers of the soul collective, with some very basic instructions if they would encounter it. "Run. Just run."
>>
>>52745331
bump
>>
>>52745347
Reroll

>>52745259
Last reroll for this
>>
>>52745306
>can can can
sorry, just woke up
>>
>>52745363
Reroll
>>
shadow people

just straight up shadow people. no disguising it
>>
Slum Lord:
What first appears as a large apartment building built into the cave wall, is actually a living creature. It pretends to be a normal building, until a cartographer is trapped within. While inside the Slum Lord, the structure can be re-arranged at a whim. Doors that lead to rooms already explored, re-routed hallways, disappearing windows etc etc. It prefers to drive it's prey mad, before trapping them in a sold black room until they starve. Once it's prey is consumed, it has the ability to teleport to another location, seemingly melding with the city.

They say at the core of every Slum Lord is a boiler, and if you can blow it up, the beast dies instantly, returning it to stone and cement.
>>
File: tumblr_ocbz3iPfnH1r3dvg3o1_1280.png (1MB, 744x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocbz3iPfnH1r3dvg3o1_1280.png
1MB, 744x1024px
>>
>>52745325
Does a 5 still work? Or do I need an 8?

>>52745361
What else do new Cartographers get? Rope? A weapon? A map of known tunnels, mostly blank?

>>52745373
Anon if we have humans some of them are probably black
>>
File: tumblr_oh68nrymdv1r0xqnho1_1280.png (906KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oh68nrymdv1r0xqnho1_1280.png
906KB, 1280x905px
>>
>>52745372
Once more
>>
>>52745403
A small village lives inside a dead Slum Lord

it's not dead
>>
File: a_bao_a_qu_by_niconokko-d8hgbvz.png (300KB, 1024x467px) Image search: [Google]
a_bao_a_qu_by_niconokko-d8hgbvz.png
300KB, 1024x467px
>>
>>52745421
Reroll again
>>
>>52745111
Since the last update we've added Corpse Giants (>>52745103), Corrupted Humans (>>52745023) Men with multiple gnashing mouths (>>52745181) and Dreamcrawlers (>>52745308) as well as a new rule for Speak with Dead (>>52745245)
>>
>>52745408
>Black death row prisoners
Heh
>>
>>52745438
>>52745418

do these 8's count? they're just images
>>
>>52745426
It waits. Feeding of the ambient fear of the village. Waiting for something, always growing.

What for? Who knows.
>>
>>52742826
A boy falls in love with a girl.
>>
>>52745408
5 for magic rules, 8 for enemies
>>52745418
Added...This
>>52745438
And this
>>
>>52745452
We could probably drum up a table for the corrupted humans. Something like 1-2 = hunger monster, 3-4 = monster with hundreds of eyes (the man was paranoid, so his body grew to watch every angle. This new information drove him mad), 5-6 centipede demon (he needed to run, run! His body grew him legs), and so on.
>>
>>52745403
Reroll for this.
>>
>>52745497
3 more enemies by the way
>>
>>52745403
Rollin for this
>>
>>52745502
Rerollan' for My Many Madness Monsters.
>>
>>52745403
Reroll on this one
>>
>>52745502
>>52745537
Sounds good to me. It is just adding on to already existing monster. Added
>>
>>
File: 1488730663463.png (1MB, 727x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488730663463.png
1MB, 727x1000px
>>
>>52745038
Rolling for spooky magic voodoo talismans
>>
File: 1488732217631.png (604KB, 502x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488732217631.png
604KB, 502x800px
>>
>>52745628
Added creepy lamprey predators
2 left
>>
>>52745628
Olm mothers

Regular olms are harmless enough, but alchemically potent. However, a spawning pool most certainly has an Olm Matriarch standing guard
>>
I like the idea of whisps.
Gently glowing spirits of fire and light, which can provide comfort, but eventually reduce weakened people from relaxed, to comatose, to incorporeal until they are absorbed and a new whisp is born. Perhaps like dark souls sunlight maggots, but more gradual and subtle.

The beasts are made uncomfortable by them (as they can eventually consume/recycle them) but the Hunger can absoarb them.

Essentially a mutualistic wandering parasite for humanity, one which can be potentially dangerous if someone gives in to the relaxing lure.
>>
Mongolian Blood Worms
>>
>>52745708
Added soul sucking whisper
1 more guys you can doing it!
>>
>>52745650
Black skinned orcs. Unlike your typical orc though, they propagate parasitically. Their weapons are smeared with fertilized eggs that hatch inside of wounded or dead foes and absorb nutrients. The strongest child eats all the other children until it gets large enough to rip out of the corpse.

They are good guys as they only attack the monsters. Humans are too small for their children to be born from.
>>
>>52745708
I like that Hunger seems to be the official name for the creature. Are there other beings like it? Does Thirst lie at the bottom of a giant cavern-reservoir, poisoning the water and feeding on those who look to slake their thirst?
>>
doppelgangers in the classical will kill you sense
>>
>>52745784
Rerolling this concept of multiple eldritch concepts like Hunger, Thirst, Despair
>>
>>52745740
Can I reroll my parasite orc idea?
>>
Smaller, eldritch vermin which are made of, and survive off of, dark secrets. Their forms can be variable, but usually have oversized sensors and mouths. They follow humans, stealing their words, thoughts, dreams and fears. Relatively harmless, but they constantly echo their hoarded information. They can have useful knowledge, but listening to them will mostly lead to insanity. Perhaps they share memories, or even give out spells, but also mimic cries of terror and panic.
>>
>>52745798
A bit generic but I'll take it. Thirst, Despair, and other emotions added.
Alright enemies are finally done, so its classes. Lets aim for just three. Lets keep posts ending in 8
>>
>>52745452
Since last update we've added weird phallic monster (>>52745418), strange jellyfish monster (>>52745438), a table for the corrupted humans (>>52745502), Olm Mothers (>>52745628 and >>52745656), Whisps (>>52745708) and finally the concept of negative emotions harming you (>>52745784)
>>
>>52745828
>Worm Blooded
A type of symbiotic worm dwells within the underground. They are quite uncommon, but when they bond with someone they infest their bodies and propagate. They grant the person increased strength and incredible regenerative abilities (enough to regrow limbs) but deforms the person, turning their flesh lumpy and misshapen (though their flexibility and combat prowess is not hindered). The person is not rendered sterile and their minds are not affected by the worms. Women who become pregnant after becoming Worm Blooded pass the worms down to their offspring. Every so often a Worm Blooded exudes eggs from their skin that hatch and become more worms that infest others.
>>
>>52745798
Repose is a congregation of wisps who bonded together instead of drifting apart, and their pull is even stronger, and its passing quickly lulls human and horror alike to sleep, very dangerous if you have night terrors or Dreamcrawlers.
>>
>>52745874
Are Hunger, Thirst, etc literal embodiments of their emotion or are they only called that because they are creatures of immense power that are consumed with one emotion?
>>
>>52745875
Re-rolling.
>>
>>52745828
The Faithful
The parties anchor. A religous sort, they hear the call of a god, far below. Keeps duress at a managable level. While not being able to banish maladies or afflictions, they do what little they can who hold their friends together. When the Faithful are lost, hope dies with them.
>>
>>52745828
Geomancers:They study the labyrinthine maze, following the dark corridors here and there. Their obsession with the patterns of the city starts to allow them insight into the maze. They start to recognize which path will take them where they wish to go the fastest. Eventually the alleys and buildings start whispering the secrets constantly, lending the geomancer their "eyes". The peak of the Geomancer's power is being able to manipulate the maze itself, creating doors where there were none, trapping people within a constant loop. The Geomancer is as mad as the cityscape.
>>
>>52745828
Just a rough suggestion here, classic "combat, magic and utility" in mind;
Surveyors would be the skill monkeys/survivors, nearly feral from such a hostile enviornment.
Scholars would be gatherers of ancient information and spells, usually going crazy along the way.
Sentinels would be grizzled warriors, full of PTSD and nightmares of those they failed to protect.
>>
>>52745920
>>52745925
>>52745934
Can we work these together into a nice trinity?

Faithful - Melee
Geomancers (although I don't like the name much) - Magic
Surveyors - Utility
>>
>>52745913
I would think the latter like what >>52745886
has
>>
>>52745920
Reroll
>>
>>52745828
the Mason

Mason's are cartographers who have explored the countless miles of urban landscape, seeing all kinds of architecture, from upside down sky scrapers, to old fortresses. They believe that the key to humanities survival, is to tear down these strange, demonic buildings, and build their own, with human planing, and human determination.

Mason's are usually heavily armed and armored, preferring to wield massive sledge hammers or wrecking balls.
>>
>>52745951
I like it
>>
>>52745828
>Wandering Warriors
Soldiers who foolishly trusted enchanted armour and weapons. The armour drains their lifeforce and renders their bodies merely a walking skeleton, but the warrior's life force is now tied to the armour. They can survive horrendous wounds that would kill normal men and the enchanted armour and weapons they have are extremely strong and can grow stronger by finding more enchantments. Most Wandering Warriors however lose their minds over all that they lost, but a few retain their human minds.
>>
>>52745828
Monster Wrangler: Living within the city is an everyday struggle. So instead of fighting the monstrosities you finally say fuck it, why not join em? You start out taming only the simplest of creatures but as you start to amass more and more creatures you notice you start to become more like them. New senses and abilities start popping up. The epitome of the Monster Wrangler is becoming those who you tame.
>>
The only way to survive is to adapt, and no one can be untouched by this place.

Mutants - forming parasitic relationships, or simply by twisting their own forms, these people become more beastly, but grow in physical might and ability.
>>
>>52745978
I like this, and it gives me an idea. What if instead of experience in a normal sense, we had a unique experience meter for each class? Wandering Warriors gain power as they find new enchantments in ancient rubble, Scholars learn new secrets and words of power, and the Faithful see and interpret signs from God?
>>
>>52745978
Added. What should we do after this? Or does this seem like enough?
>>
>>52745978
>but the warrior's life force is now tied to the armour.
ARGH.

Meant to type "but the warrior is now forever encased in the armour." Brain fart, sorry.
>>
>>52745920
One last reroll, we can work out the kinks later. Also, we should start thinking about making a part 2 to this thread.
>>
these loyal soldiers are bound not by sword but to crafting a better existence for those they serve be that by bloodshed or by crafting new utilitarian devices for their masters
>>
>>52745978
You find a small, black stone amidst the bones of the beast's horde. While it appears round at first, the smooth obsidian bites into your skin and draws blood as you touch it, and you recognize it immediately to be enchanted. Gain one of the following:

Ravenous Weapon: Inflict damage over time with weapon attacks, but +10 minimum Duress while in combat.

Armor of Thorns: Enemies that make physical contact with you take 1d4 health damage and gain 1d4 Duress.
>>
>>52746017
I'm just glad my class idea made it in since I missed the last one (I'm parasite orc idea guy).

I'll reroll the Faithful.

>>52745920
>>
>>52746017
Maybe after this we should try and come up with either some major factions or some defined areas of the maze.
>>
>>52746078
Or the hub city, even. Who's in charge down there? It is at least nominally the surface government, but how much sway do they really have?
>>
these brothers in arms have been slain in battle by faulty equipment and now arise to find the greatest crafting materials to aid fellow warriors in there perils
>>
>>52746078
8s comfirms
>>
>>52746078
Agggh, i forgot to add in my reroll for my faithful class. I just wanna have an effect, is that to much to ask number gods?
(Counts as reroll, please show mercy)
Also, once weve got more of the lore and world established we could come up with unique items or quests.
>>
>>52746114
Sure why not. Faithful added
>>
these mages thrive in darkness using it to trap there prey and feast upon the souls of those who dare challenge them
>>
Pretty much everyone is 'normal humans' to begin with, right? Does that mean that all classes/class ablities should come from exposure to weird shit?

In other words, someone's class shouldn't be what they "do", it should be a result of how they've been changed, and the abilities that come along with that.
>>
>>52746138
So Mages, Faithful and Wandering Warriors.
>>
Dogs and raccoons have swapped places in this setting physically.
>>
>>52746138
Is "Blight of the Dark" their name? Either way, added. If we need more we can add them later. Now lets do factions. Five to start with, and you know what number your post needs.
>>
>>52746139
Of the 3 picked classes that actually very much seems to be the case. Alright, Onto major factions then?
>>
>>52746138
The blightmages start with one powerful spell, which causes complete darkness in the area, a powerful boon for such a sorceror. However, the caster must understand true darkness and must be, or have been, blind.
>>
>>52746184
The Faithful found Jesus, the WW were fooled by the promise of enchanted equipment, but how did our wizardmen come by power? And how do slugmen factor into it all?
>>
>>52746171
House Clarion
A noble house that has made the descent. They bring large amounts of wealth and influence with them to the cuty, yet no one knows exactly what they came for. Rumours abound of the true intent of the the Family but rest assured, Lord Clarion has plans for the depths.
>>
>>52746171
Obligatory aspect worshiping cults.

Believe that the cave itself is a kingdom of some unknowable god. They seek to remake themselves and others in the image of the beasts that dwell within. These people ride the line between humanity and beasthood, reveling in their twisted forms as they seek "perfection".
>>
>>52746171
that is the nickname given to them, they are essentially mages who are corrupted by a cave fungus that loves darkness and uses the host to snuff out any light because it harms said fungus
>>
>>52746223
>>52746231 answers the first question, and Slugmen are just normal humans that have been in the city for so long without dying they've turned rubbery and slimy, physically resembling slugs.
>>
non infected humans who think the path to salvation is when all beings accept the fungus as their God and are infected
>>
The Bell Company. An orginization of Merchants and Mercenaries. They hope to plunder the maze of its foul treasures and to offer services to the denizens of the city. No one has actually ever seen the owners of the company but the name they carry holds weight, even down below.
>>
a group of those who feel it is their duty to protect civilization and cleanse it of whatever the current leader deems a threat after a vote by their lead council
>>
How about some Government influence down here? The maze ministry is a shadowy bueracracy and one of the few remaining ties to the surface. The offical "Law" of the city, they try and make sense of the chaos below and keep order among the madmen.
>>
The Light Bearers.

They live in surprisingly functional communities, and stave off the horror-terrors by regularly sacrificing members to the Wisps which surround them, who they believe are guardian angels.
They believe that those who are sacrificed live on as whisps, and live to procreate and 'spread the light'. They are kind, but delusional, and insist that being chosen for a sacrifice is the highest honor, and cannot be refused. New members are assimilated (by force, if necessary), or escape. Think "brainwashed evangelicals living in a commune". The leaders know that what they are doing is terrible, but for the greater good, while the masses are convinced of their rightousness. Over time, they may have even forgotten the hard truth, and bought into their justification compleately.
>>
>>52746318
Added some bumbling bureaucrats. While we're at it this setting needs a name. 7 decides. Hopefully we can get it before the thread dies.
>>
>>52746224
Has kind of a fall of house usher feel to it. I reroll for it.
>>
>>52746171
>The 731st Combat Medic Regiment
A faction of dark doctors. They use horrendously twisted and painful methods to heal people, which does keep them alive but often deforms them. They possess the ability to cure normally permanent conditions such as the Dreamcrawlers and can even turn Wisps back into people (provided they haven't been a Wisp for too long), but their methods are tremendously painful, boast a high failure rate, and usually leaves the "cured" ugly of face and resembling the guy that the Count tortured from Berserk. They often ruthlessly experiment on regular people to try and figure out new methods.
>>
a group of madmen deemed to dangerous by anyones standards who thrive in chaos and activly seek to spread it
>>
>>52746340
If we cant find a name for it before end of thread how bout we just make the place holder name like The Maze Below or something.
>>
>>52746343
Rerolling my idea.
>>
a group comprised of magic users and beuracrats that seeks to tax everything and have established kangaroo courts to try anyone that does not conform
>>
>>52746356
I'm a fan of it.
Rerolling.
>>
>>52746355
I really want to use the word 'warren' but I can't come up with a good name
>>
a group of surface dwellers that were sent to establish trade routes but just ended up getting lost and now just want to survuve and find a way out
>>
>>52746392
The Deep Warrens?
>>
>>52746392
warrens folly, he was the one to discover the place not realizing how hed doomed everyone to a life of solitude underground
>>
>>52746392
The Wicked Warren? For now i just suggested maze below as a placeholder until we arrive on a real one. Just in case, so that people can find the second thread. Also rerolling for House Clarion.
>>
>>52746417
Looks like Warrens Folly has got it
>>
>>52746401
Im rerolling for it.
>>
Origionally a surface funded division of R&D, trying to gain information about the cave. They are well connected, and the primary purveyors of maps, objects and information from down below. They are also secretive and viscious with their (sometimes ill-gotten) research. They believe themselves better than the savage cave dwellers, but also superior to the ignorant surface people who cannot grasp at the potential waiting to be unlocked.
>>
>>52746466
Ill reroll but these guys got a name?
>>
>>52745403
This is so good but is cursed by bad gets. Rerooling for him
>>
Ravagers.

Insane groups of tribal people. Basic human mobs. Cannibals, theives and murderers, all.
>>
>>52746425
Warren's Folly, named for the famous Duke Warren who first rediscovered how to travel below. And how great a folly it was.
>>
The Cabal Institute.
An expidition sent down by a number of Universities to try and catalouge the strange denizens and discover the secrets of the maze. They pay top dollar for live specimens and will often hire parties to escort researchers down into the field.
>>
originally company men who were under the command of captain jagar. he eventually snapped and broke off from the crew of surface dwellers and started their own militaristic tribe that follows orders no matter what
>>
>>52746501
>Warren's Folly, named for the famous Duke Warren who first rediscovered how to travel below. And how great a folly it was.
I like it. Added
>>
>>52746470
Thanks.
No, names are my weakpoint. If anyone wants to suggest one in a reroll, I'd appreciate it.

The Warren's Institute?
Some weird acronym, maybe?
>>
The Family. Crime syndicate moves en masse down below to escape the law, never giving a second thought to how much worse the depths are. They make the best of the situation and will do whatever it takes to stay on top.
>>
>>52746522
How about Warrens Initiative for Scientific Enlightenment or WISE for short
>>
Just throwing a crunch idea out there, what if Duress is a number between 1 and 100, 1 being you were set free on the surface and never came below, 100 being o shit son u insane. Casting spells requires a roll under, and thus becomes easier as you gain Duress. Resisting magical effects such as the pull of a Whisp requires a roll above, and thus becomes harder and harder as you gain Duress.
>>
>>52746552
Rerolling for WISE. It's clever
>>
Can someone make a new thread so we can focus down on new stuff without worry? Also, reroll for WISE, The Cabal, and that medical regiment.
>>
Some kind of cartographers guild seems obvious. Which makes me think it might be a bad idea, so I'll let my digits decide.
>>
>>52746578
Digits say its a good idea. Added
>>
>>52746578
We got a winner. Name?
(Rolling for WISE, im a sucker for acronyms)
>>
The Radiant March

A troupe of crusaders who go on expiditions to destroy all manner of inpure creatures. Tied to a surface religious faction, new members are recruited and sent down in battalions every few years. Some of the survivors have set up fortresses and way stations over the years, but still stick to their central tenants of destroying the tainted.
>>
>>52746552
I fucking love it, thank you
>>
>>52746595
Sure, wise sounds good
>>
>>52746561
NEW THREAD IS UP
>>52746652
>>
I've been contributing here and there to the thread so I hate to go but I gotta go to sleep. Keep the thread (or more likely the new thread) alive for me
>>
>>52746629
No problem man, I like coming up with Acronyms. Also, reroll because its been so tantilizing close so many times. Reroll for WISE.
>>
>>52746225
To add to this idea, the cult(s) are mainly slug-men. They believe the slug shape is the true form of the forgotten Gods and both glorify the mutation and seek to spread it to others.

There should probably be a counter-faction to this to create some strife
>>
>>52742867
Star Ocean II?
Thread posts: 292
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.