[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a paladin on my table who is annoying. He keeps trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 55

File: Paladin-1.jpg (62KB, 760x606px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin-1.jpg
62KB, 760x606px
I have a paladin on my table who is annoying. He keeps trying to capture enemies (instead of killing) and when he does he starts giving them moral lessons. He asks them why they were doing it, explain why it was wrong, tell them of something good they could do in it's place.

One time for example he defeated a group of bandits, then asked why they were attacking people. I thought of a quick excuse and said 'because we are poor and don't know of anything else to do.' Bad move. He then released one by one of the bandits, teached them how to work, confiscated their weapons and then went to the village while his party guarded them, traded them for fucking farming material and gave them, and they told them to scatter and become honest people.

Can I make him fall for being more good than lawful? After all what purpose is there on a paladin who isn't ready to kill?
>>
>>52738367
Have the bandits sell their farming gear and buy weapons, then raid the village. Rape the children and give rise to even more bandits and evil.
>>
>>52738367
> Can I make him fall for being more good than lawful?
Stopped reading there.
You are a horrible person and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Mercy and justice are meted out on case-by-case basis, at paladin's discretion, as long as it doesn't break his code.
>>
>>52738367

Fuck off
>>
>>52738367
Good bait, or joke, whichever. But a paladin is required to save everyone they can, even the bad ones. He's doing a good job.
>>
>>52738367
Sounds like this guy really knows what it means to be a paladin. Stop trying to spoil his fun and just roll with it, this is more inventiveness and engagement than you'll get from most players.
>>
>>52738391
As he said his arguments he rolled his charisma and actually persuaded them to change. But maybe I can do this next time.
>>
File: 1492318228622.jpg (26KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
1492318228622.jpg
26KB, 224x216px
>>52738367
TL;DR:
Hey guys, I'm a tremendous fag that can't handle a Paladin player role play a FUCKING PALADIN.

Like really man? That's dedication to his character and you're acting like such a fag about it. You really want to make him fall for DOING GOOD?

Sage
>>
>>52738399
>>52738402
>>52738409
>>52738419
>>52738448
Why would a paladin have a claymore if he was supposed to sit down and talk? A paladin should dish the law to his enemies.

Go play a cleric if you want to make friends.
>>
if it's inherently evil monsters, have them lie about changing their lives and then stab him in the back about it

nothing wrong with trying to set bandits on a better path.
>>
>>52738514
I take it you've never played a cleric.
>>
>>52738514
Because not everyone wants to listen.

His is dishing out The Law. He isn't dishing out violence for it's own sake.

You are essentially wanting to punish a player for not mindlessly murderhoboing.
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783KB, 802x523px
>>52738514
> Go play a cleric if you want to make friends.
>implying CoDzilla isn't a thing
>implying CoDzilla isn't better than Paladin at combat
>>
>>52738514
Paladin's have swords to protect the innocent and the good of heart agasint those who would hurt them. To protect their friends and to defeat evil. But the paladin has a weapon for a reason. Because he has the morality to use it responsibly to use it agasint those truly evil. Who won't be able to change for the better. A true paladin trys to reform people and trys to make the world better and protect people. Of course this is talking about LG paladins. Is he a LG paladin?
>>
>>52738367
Why not have them fight actual monsters and not bandits and other humans?
>>
>>52738367
>hurr durr my paladin is not genociding everything in sight like a good murderhobo, send help
>>
>>52738609
>implying 3.pf like a faggot
>>
>>52738367
The manual specifically claims a paladin should act more good than lawful if he has to choose just one.

You are a baiting faggot, your paladin is a good guy
>>
>>52738677
>>implying 3.pf like a faggot
I wanted to make sure OP felt comfortable with me.
>>
desu senpai, a paladin that captures villains and lectures them until they're willing to do anything to get away sounds fucking amazing and hilarious.

Perfect way to get enemies to co-operate with interrogation without torture

"STOP, STOP! I'LL DO ANYTHING PLEASE, JUST MAKE HIM STOP TALKING AHHHHHHHHHHH"
>>
>>52738728
>a paladin that captures villains and lectures them until they're willing to do anything to get away
>>
>>52738566
He does this to every enemy that isn't pure evil.

The problem however is that he invested heavy in charisma and wisdom, persuasion and sensing motives.

I mean charisma sure. But pump wisdom? He also pumped medicine for some weird reason. The guy has healing magic and pumped medicine.
>>
>>52738803
I'd say medicine is fall insurance so if he ever falls he can still patch people up. Id put medicine on my paladin. But really his build seems very roleplay like. Which can be good it fits what he's trying to do apparently. Which is clearly try and redeem and help people. Who is his god? Is he LG? Did his backstory hint this?
>>
File: 1492230933397.jpg (127KB, 623x414px) Image search: [Google]
1492230933397.jpg
127KB, 623x414px
>>52738803
If he still kills pure evil creatures, tham there is zero problems, stop being a faggot about that.

The medicine arguement is valid though, maybe sit down with him and learn why he put ranks in it and explain why its not optimal. Remember though, its ultimately his decision
>>
>>52738585
>>52738609
I mean a pacifist cleric.

>>52738590
No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.

>>52738621
Yes he is LG, but a LG paladin wouldn't stop to lecture every single outlaw.

>>52738627
He does this to other humanoids, he only kills true uncontrollable monsters. Should I replace every enemy with ghouls and hellhounds?

>>52738646
It's not murderhobo to kill clearly random enemies.

>>52738710
That doesn't stop him from dishing the law.

>>52738728
Maybe I should make his next enemy act like this.
>>
>>52738910
> No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.
You are the one wasting time describing it.
>P: "I want to convince them of the errors of their evil ways!"
>Y: "Okay, roll Diplomacy."
>roll succeeds
>P: "Okay, your rousing speech succeeds in convincing them to change their ways."
There you fucking go.

Now stop being a passive-aggressive bitch that wants to shut his player down for actually putting "roleplaying" into "RPG".
>>
File: aXm9266xjU.jpg (110KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm9266xjU.jpg
110KB, 650x650px
>>52738910
>No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.

Then stop wasting his time with pointless encounters.
>>
>>52738910
Alright then. It's understandable your a but bored. But talk to him. Ultimately you shouldn't have posted this on tg and instead should have talked and discussed with him what will make the campaign fun for both of you.
>>
>>52738845
Yes, it's the LG God.

>>52738845
>>52738903
Okay, I actually know his motive: he picked it up because he likes to come into villages and offer free diagnoses to people. Which I frankly don't even let him roll, I just say 'okay you help people' and move on with the story.
>>
>>52738910
If you're concerned about him treating human humanely, give him non-human enemies.
If you're just wanting him to fight the encounters you intended to have be fights, either be blunt and uncreative, and just tell him "I gave you this fight so you could kill things and get XP" or actually be clever and give his character a reason to smite the evil, son.

When they see him, have them yell "OH SHIT A PALADIN, ASMODEUS SAVE ME" so he knows they're evil, or have them have some background hatred towards the forces of good because they didn't help the bandit's hometown when it was under attack or something, so he legitimately believes Good is weak and hypocritical, and is willing to die for his belief.
>>
>>52738910
>>52738958
This, you colossal faggot. What you want to do is massively unfun for your player, and their fun should be part of you having fun. Eat a dick, your player is cool, 10/10 would play a non lethal character to assist
>>
>>52738958
Did you miss the party where he cuddles enemy NPCs?

>>52738964
Ah right, I will drop encounters and their xp gain because I have a chronic messiah.

>>52738967
Nah, I need to deal with him ingame. Show him why this isn't a good policy. Still /tg/ disappoint me. I doubt there is someone here who wouldn't say this PC is annoying.
>>
>>52738970
Okay then that skill make's sense maybe you should actually integrate it into the plot or story or a sideplot? Actually have it do something worthwhile. Really you should talk with him. That's flat out what you need to do. discuss things back and forth learn what you want of the campaign and tell him and learn what he wants. Work together to have fun and get some of both of what you want. Give him chances to redeem people but also give oppurtunitys when its obvious that trying to capture them could endanger other people and he needs to go all out.
>>
>>52739013
You're supposed to give XP for non-combat encounters, or "defeating" the enemies. Convincing them to not fight gives just as much experience/favor from his God to get more powers as killing them would. Possibly even more, if his God believes in mercy.
>>
File: images(2).jpg (4KB, 126x95px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
4KB, 126x95px
Can someone please explain to me how someone can be as legitimately autistic as the OP of this thread?
I just don't fucking understand how his decision process goes:
> "Hm, I have a problem with my player, even though he clearly puts in effort into actually roleplaying. Should I talk it out with him, like two adult human beings do?"
> "NAH, I'LL JUST GO ON A TAIWANESE CHALK DRAWING BOARD AND ASK PEOPLE THERE HOW I CAN BE AS MUCH A PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE BITCH AS POSSIBLE"
>>
>>52738443
What made them bandits in the first place? Being poor and shit. When they are not accepted for any jobs (because the farms are already crowded), they return to their bandit ways.
>>
>>52739013
Dude. I'd love to have a player like that. Just talk to him. He clearly likes your game if hes so invested in his character. Talk to him be mature.
>>
>>52739088

But anon, some people become bandits because they're assholes who enjoy raping and pillaging.
>>
>>52738964
Actually a good way to stop DMs to throw random encounters without any reason at you. Nice.
>>
>>52739119
Those are psychopaths. Murder them.
>>
File: WHY SO MAD HATEFUL LAD.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
WHY SO MAD HATEFUL LAD.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
So what you're saying here OP, is that he's not allowed to enjoy playing the game his way because you want him to be a murderhobo?

Man I've had some boring GMs, hell, I've been one, but goddamn dude I would hate to be one of your players.
>>
>>52738514
Kys
>>
>>52739149

But if a Paladin can redeem a Succubus with questionably virtuous sex, surely he can redeem mentally ill humans!
>>
Are all of you literally retarded?

This is bait - it's so clearly, obviously bait. Ignore trolls and bait threads; ignore bait posters.

Don't feed into the discussion because it's fake and designed to get you to reply. Ffs
>>
>>52738514
Same reason a Police Officer has a gun, you dumb fuck.
>>
File: Responding to bait is our nature.jpg (927KB, 1280x1826px) Image search: [Google]
Responding to bait is our nature.jpg
927KB, 1280x1826px
>>52739197
Said the /anon/ bumping said bait.
>>
>>52738367
Your player is good and you are a shit GM.
>>
>>52739220
Fair.
>>
>>52738910
>I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.
You could just stop using random encounters. Animals rarely attack groups of people, they gain a reputation causing bandits to avoid them, etc.
>>
>>52738367
OP that joke is 20+ years old, get better material.
>>
Interesting, if that is 3.pf he is only doing it for the social bonuses.

I'd say let it work now and then, and if he has a decent sense motive give him a clue when the other group is bullshitting
>>
File: 1492313545163.jpg (73KB, 476x349px) Image search: [Google]
1492313545163.jpg
73KB, 476x349px
OP, you're the biggest faggot I've seen in awhile.

You have a pc most dm's and many players in general dream of. and yet you're whining about how he isn't a murderhobo that can't rp any flavour of paladin beyond lawful stupid.

You fill me with loathing and disgust. Your role is to create a world for the players to interact in. You can have a narrative planned out but shouldn't just treat encounters as dumb Skyrim quests where you just hack and slash for no reason. You especially shouldn't railroad them to the degree that anytime they attempt to have agency in the world their characters inhabit, you sperg out like this.

If you want to roll dumb meaningless xp grinds or only bother dm'ing so as to hold a group captive for your plot exposition, go work for Bethesda.
>>
>>52738367
How about adding unintended consequences to his LG actions:
>Bandits attack town, claiming it is their turf
>Other gangs hear that the Bandits territory collapsed, move in to take over.
>Original bandits are killed trying to defend the people who took them in after they were shitheads
>New bandits are worse than the last due to [REASONS]
>Paladin has to return, facing the villagers and making a choice to murderhobo the bandits or teach the villagers how to fight off very strong bandits. This could force a Good vs Lawful conflict. Is it 'Good' to murderhobo the bandits? Is it 'Lawful' to teach these vengeful peasants how to fight, hoping they won't just murderhobo everything they see as a threat?

You could also introduce an element of the Paladin's backstory to explain WHY he does this every time. Maybe he was mentored by a Paladin, or his village was saved by one, or he just saw too much hatred and evil in the world. It will give the Paladin a chance to shine and let other players make the choice to help him in this task.

If you're not the GM, just go on a snack break while he does this. Check your stats, inventory, plan something, or take a trip to the restroom. Just say your character stays at the inn/bar/stable/wherever and plans their next move.
>>
>>52738983
Doesn't work unless they are not alive or pure evil.

The guy has also a lot of luck with dices. He conviced a group of goblins for example that killing travellers wasn't alright because it would end getting them all killed.

>>52739040
I really shouldn't even have to say 'those guys are just for you to try your new weapon'. But okay, I see your point.

>>52739048
Nah I do give him xp, but surely I'm not gonna reward this behavior, otherwise he may want to do it even more.

>>52739082
Okay, of course I exaggerated to bring people. I'm not going to make him fall, I just want to give him a scare. Show him his actions have consequences.

The problem I said before however is that he keeps using persuade and sense motive, and he is luck with dice.

>>52739088
The problem is through that they really changed their ways. And the Paladin even gave them some parting money, like a few gp each. I cannot find an in story reason for that, I would have to create new bandits.

>>52739114
What do you want me to say to him? "Hey dude, okay I get you are a nice guy but don't be so nice okay? You are delaying my campaign."

>>52739151
>murderhobo
Here it goes again.

It's not murderhoboing to kill random encounters. Those NPCs don't exist, they are just there to give some challenge. They are literally gold and xp.

Imagine if there was a cop in real life who lost time trying to get a criminal to change his ways? He would have took a bullet years ago.

>>52739217
A police officer just lays down the law and send them to jail. It's not to check if "Jimmy Two Hands" is having humane treatment.

>>52739268
Yeah, I'm sure the campaign will get more lively with nothing happening between dungeons.
>>
>>52739344
Pretty sure that OP is a troll.

this amount of stupidity has to be planned... at least i hope so
>>
File: IMG_0470.jpg (238KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0470.jpg
238KB, 1280x905px
You could just let the player play a paladin in peace for once, and not needlessly for moral shit constantly like ever other terrible gm.

Why can us paladin player smite evil in peace for once, it gets kind of boring when we run into [morally grey situation #536] I just want to heal peasantry and smite evil bandits, is it really that much to ask?
>>
File: IMG_0167.jpg (128KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0167.jpg
128KB, 640x480px
>>52739369
>All those responses
Casting a wide net eh?
>>
>>52739342
He ALWAYS use sense motive. He is a dick. And no, I don't give any extra rewards for that. I made sure those NPCs disappear as if they were killed.

>>52739344
The point of random encounters is to give a breather between plot points.

Should I magically teleport players between cities when the next dungeon isn't near?

>>52739361
Another sensible answer.

Yes, good point. The next group of criminals I make will make the Joker look nice. But then it's capable of him rolling dice and 'forcing' them to give up to the guard. How much I wish for him to roll a 1 on a persuasion check.
>>
>>52739369
More something along the line's of "Anon I know your character is a immense nice guy. How can we work together to figure a way to tone that down. Because I'm having difficulty enjoying the game and if I don't enjoy gming the game the quality of the game suffers and you might enjoy it less so please how are we gonna settle this?" Be real with him be straight with him and be honest.
>>
File: IMG_0463.png (48KB, 333x286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0463.png
48KB, 333x286px
>>52739441
Holy shit thank you for the laugh anon I was in a terrible mood but now I'm in high spirits from this ridiculous post.
>>
>>52739396
>it's stupid to want encounters to end without extra fluffy bullshit
I know this is /tg/ but come on.

>>52739412
The point of the matter is that this dude doesn't smite evil. He befriends evil. He only smites '100% completely unredemmable evil'. That's retarded, if I was a nasty GM I would have killed him at the second encounter.
>>
>>52738367
That's a cool paladin you are playing with. He sounds pretty based.
>>
File: IMG_0464.png (183KB, 343x484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0464.png
183KB, 343x484px
>>52739474
I don't think you get what Paladins are anon, or the concept or redemption for that matter. I'm going to just hope your shitposting because otherwise it'll ruin my good mood thinking of what your poor player will have to go through with your dumb ass.
>>
>>52739443
The fact of the matter is that there is a reason nobody act like this in real life: because it's stupid.

So yes, I want him to learn through adversity. Not because he hurt my enjoyment.

>>52739472
How is it ridiculous? Feel free to expand instead of memeing.
>>
File: IMG_0349.jpg (129KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0349.jpg
129KB, 600x800px
>>52739511
>in real like
Retard alert
>>
>>52739534
Oh how emb that is egg on my face for sure *life
>>
>>52739483
Okay, now I think I'm the one getting trolled.

His PC is an idiot. Without question. If it wasn't for bullshit rolls he would be dead.

>>52739507
Redemption is for those who actually advance the story, ie NPCs who actually matter. Helping random faggot isn't going to earn you points.
>>
Paladins are supposed to be more good than lawful. Even in 1e, they'd rather associate with a Chaotic Good person than a Lawful Neutral.
>>
File: IMG_0283.png (22KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0283.png
22KB, 300x250px
>>52739544
Oh god make it stop
>>
File: fQWag.png (249KB, 1903x950px) Image search: [Google]
fQWag.png
249KB, 1903x950px
>>52738367
>>52739361
okay, now hold it right here you cheeky dickwaffel.

It seems like you two faggots work under the idea that lawfull good is the idea that you have to please what is good and the law.

the long explanation: see pic

the short summary: Lawfull good does NOT mean that you serve two aspects at once, namely the good and the law, because that would reach an autistic level of stick-in-thy-arese

With LG you follow the good law.
>>
>>52739556
No redemption is for everyone who has a chance at it.
You really don't seem to understand what paladins are.
>>
>>52739534
*in a logical setting.

Happy now?
>>
>>52738514
By definition, if they can listen, talking is the right opening move. If they do listen, he was obviously justified, and in fact might have fallen for killing all those wayward men in cold blood like that.
>>
>>52739556
>redemption is for important npcs
Oh sweet Jesus ok now I am actually laugh, god FUCK your ok at this, way to obvious but still good to laugh at least
>>52739579
No your still an idiot but thank you
>>
File: 1491950291148.png (196KB, 462x400px) Image search: [Google]
1491950291148.png
196KB, 462x400px
>This thread
>>
OP you are being a tremendous faggot
>>
>>52738803
This guy sounds awesome. Well-rounded, competent, kind-hearted character? He's a fucking superhero, and you're just a dick.
>>
>>52739645
/thread
>>
>>52739645
OP is probably the sort of guy who thinks that all superheroes need to be edgy angsty 90s antiheroes desu.
>>
I've had enough of this retardation.
This is now a knight thread.
If anyone knows the artist to amy of these please tell me.
>>
File: IMG_0469.jpg (110KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0469.jpg
110KB, 636x900px
>>52739676
Paladins4life
>>
>>52739667
Then why even allow paladins or any other LG characters?
>>
File: tumblr_n4ga4q2Gl41rtdsh3o1_1280.jpg (135KB, 475x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4ga4q2Gl41rtdsh3o1_1280.jpg
135KB, 475x600px
>>52739676
>>
>>52738367
That person is a better player than you are. You should let him DM if this is how you do it.
>>
>>52739441
Don't make them sadistic just for the sake of doing so. That's just being a dick to a PC and their player(s). Force the Paladin to make the best of two bad choices.
You're the GM, your goal is the challenge your players and tell a good story. Punishing a player for RPing by making their dice not matter right in front of them doesn't serve either of those two points.

>>52739564
There's very little info on this Paladin and the setting other than being a walking, talking after school special. I'm trying to draw out a possible motivation for these actions. It seems like that might be the backbone of it but it's hard to tell. If the character were a fresh paladin on their first trip into the 'real' world, wouldn't it make sense for them to see the Good and the Law as two separate things? They would only see the melding of the two after getting a few levels under their belt.
>>
>>52739687
OP has brain problems, would be my guess.
>>
>>52738367
I was going to compliment op on an obvious bait that was nonetheless entertaining.

And then I read the replies in here from faggots who thought it was serious.

Well done, OP.
>>
>>52739369
>Nah I do give him xp, but surely I'm not gonna reward this behavior, otherwise he may want to do it even more.

Why are you treating your player like training a dog?

>What do you want me to say to him? "Hey dude, okay I get you are a nice guy but don't be so nice okay? You are delaying my campaign."
>my campaign

You're a really, really shitty DM. And I genuinely mean that. I guarantee that if we played together, my opinion would not change, and everyone with any experience roleplaying would agree.

It's not your campaign, it's your group's campaign. If the way you have fun and the way your players have fun is different, you shouldn't be playing together.

Nothing he's doing is even remotely wrong, I'd love to play with this guy, it sounds great. But if you don't like it, you need to talk with the group (not just him) and see if other people are bothered by it. If they are, he needs to stop hogging the spotlight. If they aren't, you either need to find a way to enjoy this kind of game, or stop gaming together.

>A police officer just lays down the law and send them to jail. It's not to check if "Jimmy Two Hands" is having humane treatment.

The ENTIRE criminal justice system is built on the foundation of getting people to see the error of their ways. It doesn't always work, but that's literally why we have jail instead of constant execution.

The police officer himself doesn't follow through with the whole get them to change their ways thing, that's the rest of the system's responsibility. In a medieval world, with less organization, it's completely reasonable that this incredibly persuasive guy that wants to be a hero takes the whole responsibility and runs with it.

>Those NPCs don't exist, they are just there to give some challenge. They are literally gold and xp.

Not to him. And just because in your mind you're right, doesn't mean he's wrong.
>>
>>52739667
OP seems like the sort of person who thinks it's his duty as a DM to punish players for even choosing to play a Paladin in the first place.
>>
File: 478eb3bd9c967da3808bceb9f0189c3d.jpg (391KB, 859x1440px) Image search: [Google]
478eb3bd9c967da3808bceb9f0189c3d.jpg
391KB, 859x1440px
>>52739696
>>
>>52738367
You and my DMs would be kindred spirits.
>>
>>52739710
Shhh anon shhh we all know he's a retard, don't waste your time writing so much
>>
>>52739687
Shit man, I don't know.

I mean this thread's probably just bait but if it isn't OP is probably trying to both be a good GM while simultaneously railroading the fuck out of his players.
>>
File: Gym Class.png (2MB, 2942x2009px) Image search: [Google]
Gym Class.png
2MB, 2942x2009px
DM is That Guy.

Move along.
>>
File: d72ae2344c064f273ce2136212d9f057.jpg (790KB, 1019x1440px) Image search: [Google]
d72ae2344c064f273ce2136212d9f057.jpg
790KB, 1019x1440px
>>52739719
>>
File: 1488609070980.jpg (291KB, 594x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488609070980.jpg
291KB, 594x1000px
>>52739676
Deus Vult
>>
>>52738367
Sounds like you're just butthurt that he isn't playing the one dimensional murderhobo you're used to. Sounds like he's doing a damn fine job as a paladin.

If you make him fall for being more "good" than "lawful", then you are an asspulling, shit eating, pathetic excuse of a DM, and should promptly quit running games. Suicide would actually be the best option in that case.

Instead of trying to fuck him over for playing his character straight, just play YOUR role straight. It's not so black and white that everyone is either good or evil. Throw the guy a fucking bone and let his mercy actually have a positive effect on people. That doesn't mean it has to work on EVERYONE though. Maybe half of those bandits decide to use those farming tools to start an honest life, and maybe the other half decide "fuck it, this shovel can still fuck someone up" and continue his ways, just having to steal enough to buy more actual weapons. Maybe have him find out that some ended up dying anyways, after getting their shit stomped in trying to rob people with a pitch fork.

Most importantly, you need to stop being a little bitch.
>>
>>52739441
>roll a 1 on a persuasion check.

Presumably he has a fairly high modifier, or are you a retard that doesn't follow the rules?

Natural 1s are only guaranteed fails for attack rolls.

Saving throws, skill checks, etc are not critical fails.
>>
File: tumblr_myn0dbgvif1rtdsh3o8_1280.jpg (975KB, 954x1440px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myn0dbgvif1rtdsh3o8_1280.jpg
975KB, 954x1440px
>>52739752
>>
File: tumblr_n4jvtzZNY71rtdsh3o2_1280.jpg (655KB, 1078x1368px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4jvtzZNY71rtdsh3o2_1280.jpg
655KB, 1078x1368px
>>52739787
>>
>>52738514
Why would a cop have a gun if he was supposed to sit down and talk? A cop should dish the law to his enemies.

See how fucking retarded your reasoning is when you apply the real world equivalent? The lethal option is supposed to be the last resort, while diplomacy and de-escalation are to be the first.
>>
>>52739474
>it's stupid to want encounters to end without extra fluffy bullshit

Since when is :stripping all his class abilities from him, because i think that a lawfull good character can't act purely good, "extra fluffy"?

that a textbook dickmove and has severe mechanical conequences dor the player... a player most GM's would kill for.

"extra fluffy" would be a vision or dream from his good, maybe together with a slight weakening of his paladin abilitys for 1 or two encounters... an only if the god in question is the avengig kind.

I think OPs main problem might be, that he is to submissiv to his player and the paladin Player is explaining everything in detail, while the Gm should just say "okay cut yourself short, what do you want to do ?" when he takes to long and hogs the spotlight, instead he comes to /tg/ and want's affirmation to flex his GM muscles and punish the player.
>>
>>52739676
Dongho Kang
>>
>>52738710
Not to mention Lawful doesn't necessarily mean the law of the land specifically, but his adherence to his code. If his god is one who encourages mercy, then he would still be acting lawfully as well as good, as the law of his god trumps everything else to him.
>>
>>52739696
>>52739719
>>52739752
>>52739787
>>52739834
Kekai Kotakai
>>
>>52739702
>wouldn't it make sense for them to see the Good and the Law as two separate things? They would only see the melding of the two after getting a few levels under their belt.

short answer ? no.

long answer. slightly depends on the setting, but the alignmet is for the paladin his bread an butter, that is like saying, "the druid leanrs his bond with the nature later on" or "the bard gets an taste for tavern girls step by step"
That shit is class defining
>>
>>52739873
Thank you
>>
File: IMG_0012.png (135KB, 433x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.png
135KB, 433x475px
>>52738514
Mercy and compassion are virtues you faggot.
>>
>>52739904
Thanks my dude
>>
>>52738367
>100000% guaranteed reply bait.
Guys, come on...
>>
>>52739645
This, OP please die.
>>
>>52739564
It's a good law to kill outlaws through. That's like DnD basic.

Okay, it's not bad to 'spare' criminals. But it's unlogical to try to help every band of fuckers.

>>52739578
Redemption for goblin#135? How does your table even advance?

>>52739598
He starts by talking, I attack because no this is a fight, he and his party knocks them out and then it starts and I want to knock myself out.

>>52739604
Anon, anon, anon. Nobody, likes nobody in this entire world cares about this. We have a monster book for a reason: to add random enemies. Random. Enemies. They aren't and never will be proper characters.

>>52739645
I know you are sucking his dick to annoy me, but well rounded? The idiot who negotiated with NE goblins?

>>52739687
A paladin isn't fucking super nanny.

>>52739702
Maybe I could make an encounter that his sensing motive is useless. Yes and then stab him in the back.

Fucking so many replies. Okay I will get on with the rest.
>>
>>52739149
>Murder them.
You mean kill* them. Murder implies that they are people.
>>
>>52740275
And people wonder why Rollplaying is becoming more and more common.
>>
>>52740275
Again it just sounds like you're mad he's not a murderhobo.
Hell apparently the party is even helping him to knock out these guys so they must be at least ok with his antics.
>>
>>52740275
Clearly, you and your party are playing two different games.

Have you actually, you know, tried talking to them like an adult instead of complaining on a Neanderthal Cave Painting Boards.
>>
>>52740293
If people counts all races then point.
>>
>>52738367

Make your enemies robots that explode on death.

And no, what he is doing is both lawful and good, and he cannot fall over it.
>>
>>52740275
>But it's unlogical to try to help every band of fuckers.
The law in non-letal sentences is for every criminal to be jailed, then promptly released, with a chance of redemption.

Why in the fuck would it be any different in your shitty made up world? Your thoughts and the way you think is illogical, your player is absolutely amazing.
>>
>>52740321
Hey every now and again a good old hack and slash dungeon crawl is just what you need.
However if that's the game you're gonna run you need to be upfront about it.
>>
>>52740275
OP, are you ever going to understand that your way isn't the only way to play D&D, a game of literally endless possibilities?

TALK TO YOUR FUCKING PLAYER YOU CHILD MAYBE THE OTHER PLAYERS ALSO FEEL LIKE YOU AND HE DOESN'T KNOW THIS

OR MAYBE THE OTHER PLAYERS LIKE HIS STYLE AND WANT TO KEEP THIS KIND OF THING GOING, IN WHICH CASE YOU STOP PLAYING WITH THEM
>>
>>52739710
Because I want this to cut down? If it was once in a while I would be okay, but not like this.

And yes, it's the group campaign. But I'm the GM and this is my plot, so I have to make sure the plot is advancing. Losing time is wasting all players lives and not just mine.

And yes, since it's medieval he does have a higher responsibility but the fact remains that should criminals would be like hanged or something. So basically there is no need in doing shit like this.

>>52739759
>murderhobo
I know you haven't read the thread, but it's literally impossible to be a murderhobo by killing faceless goons. Murderhobo is killing peasants, you know, faceless good NPCs.

>>52739765
I meant a very low value.

>>52739854
Yes, and the law is to jail. In a medieval setting however the law is to kill.

>>52739864
I was exageratting. Of course I'm not going to do that.

I am however searching for suggestions to make this realistic bite him in the ass. But the problem is that the dice isn't helping.

>>52739941
They are, but not in this context. I will give him a minor villain to spare if he really wants his 'holier than thou' paladin show his 'virtues'.
>>
>>52740339
To be fair the idea of incarceration for non nobles is a new thing.
Most of the time it was either execution or some form of maiming and exile.
Then again any fucker trying to run D&D as some sort of medieval times simulator is a stupid asshole.
>>
>>52739369
>Those NPCs don't exist, they are just there to give some challenge. They are literally gold and xp.
This is why you're a shit DM. A world should be filled with characters, not targets to grind like a fucking MMO. Seriously, either give up DMing, or just kill yourself. Those are your best options at this point.
>>
>>52740364
>
And yes, since it's medieval he does have a higher responsibility but the fact remains that should criminals would be like hanged or something. So basically there is no need in doing shit like this.
>He shouldn't be doing it because, like, in medieval times they just hung people, so he shouldn't be doing it

You have the reasoning skills of a small child.

It is not YOUR plot, it's the GROUP'S plot. It might not be wasting their time if they're enjoying it.

You don't solve issues like this by abusing your power as a DM, you solve these kinds of issues by talking to all of the players.

"Hey guys, so Paladin has been doing this stuff, and while I can't say it's wrong, I don't enjoy the game very much while it's happening. How do you guys feel?"

Say that. Post that exact thing to your group chat, or say it verbatim the next time the group meets.
>>
>>52740350
>MAYBE THE OTHER PLAYERS ALSO FEEL LIKE YOU

>he and his party knocks them out and then it starts and I want to knock myself out.
>his party
>>52740275
>>
>>52740364
It really sounds like you want to run a beer and pretzels hack and slash and your players aren't having it.
You need to talk this out and possibly step down as GM.
>>
>>52739369

If you want your encounters to be unintractable targets, then make them actual unintractable targets and not humanoids. Throw wolves or golems or undead at him, or even something that isn't a monster like a storm or a rockslide. This isn't rocket science!
>>
>>52740425
I know, but generally children are more inclined to do something if they feel they might win the argument.

I'm trying to get him into a position where he realizes he should not be playing with this group.
>>
>>52740454
If the rest of the party is helping him it sounds like he's in the right group.
Maybe you are the problem.
>>
>>52740454
Oh, keep going then. Fuck this OP.
>>
>>52739441
>But then it's capable of him rolling dice and 'forcing' them to give up to the guard
You talk as if the dice are more powerful than you, the person running the game. Don't you know that there's such a thing as a circumstance bonus? He can't intimidate a bandit if they have a boss who is already more intimidating. Even a charm person spell can't make someone do something that would endanger themselves, such as abandoning a fight after they know what sort of cruel punishments have been inflicting on others in their band for that very thing. Persuading an evil person to reform almost always requires some sort of appeal to empathy, and psychopaths don't have that.

JFC you're shit at running games if you don't even know this.
>>
>>52740434
This what don't get.
If he doesn't want the paladin to try and redeem npcs why not throw irredeemable monsters and animals at him?
>>
>>52740321
It's okay to play roles when it's a situation to play roles. When it's combat you certainly don't want to watch a dragonball episode.

>>52740323
You.cannot.murderhobo.evil.minions. They aren't characters who offer any kind of penalty or advantage in sparing.

>>52740328
I'm not complaining, I'm just gathering ideas. So next session I can show him why this is a dangerous policy.

>>52740337
I'm this close of making a very powerful necromancer and only sending undeads for the rest of the game.

>>52740339
Because that's medieval DnD? You know, the world where outlaws are cut down in spot?

>>52740350
Not in a medieval setting. Unless this is 'peacefulpolis'.

>>52740385
They are actually targets to be breaked. I have proper characters, but these aren't those.

C'mon, maybe you are a new player but you know DnD since the conception had random battles.
>>
File: Military orders.png (2MB, 2500x3654px) Image search: [Google]
Military orders.png
2MB, 2500x3654px
Good evening /tg/,
Similar issue, I play a low-level Lawful Good Cleric of Pelor, during the last session our party was ambushed by pirates when we finished to explore an underwater temple.

The plan was to help them retrieve an artifact on an island or they master, a powerful necromancer, would have killed us.

The thing is, they are a halfling crew which doesn't trust humans and our warrior which is one of them tried and failed to intimidate their captain because he was fucking hungry.

Well, at one moment one member of the pirates was wounded when he fell in a trap, so I used a level 0 heal to stop the bleeding :
- I'm just a walking hospital
- I wanted to ease the forced relationship between our party and the dudes who can't trust us because one of us threatened their captain.

Another player said that I fucked up my alignment because I healed an evil creature, what do you think ?
>>
>>52738910
>I mean a pacifist cleric.

I mean you clearly don't have friends.
>>
>>52739474
>He only smites '100% completely unredemmable evil'.
That's literally the ideal way of playing a paladin
>That's retarded
Pretty sure YOU'RE the retarded one
>if I was a nasty GM
That would probably be an improvement, because it sounds like you can't GM for shit. Just quit.
>>
>>52740466
Yes, I mean the OP isn't in the right group.

The Paladin sounds like a great roleplayer, and I'd love to play in a game with him.
>>
>>52740485
If you have sentient npcs that are just xp pinatas you are a shit GM.
Just fucking throw wolves or monsters at him if you want his interactions with them to limited to sword to squishy bits.
>>
File: ThatDM.jpg (13KB, 627x46px) Image search: [Google]
ThatDM.jpg
13KB, 627x46px
>>52740275
Yes, this will only help the player-DM relationship. I'm routing for this paladin through whatever hardships you put him through.
>>
>>52740527
Sorry misunderstood you there.
>>
>>52740485
>penalty or advantage in sparing.

D&D doesn't use a points system, you know that right?

It's about fun, and your players are having fun. Maybe not your kind of fun, but their own kind of fun.

Regardless of which kind of fun might be better, maybe you should talk to them. Maybe they'll want to try your kind of fun.

>DnD since the conception had random battles.

Why do they have to be random battles? It really feels like all of your ideas about D&D come from Baldur's Gate, or something.

Real D&D isn't a video game, and your players don't have to play your on-rails adventure if they won't want to.
>>
>>52740422
My reasoning is bad because I defined the setting as medieval, while every PC knew it was medieval?

And abuse? How is it abuse showing that someone who acts like a fool will eventually be taken advantage?

>>52740432
Only in RE.

>>52740434
Yes, but it's ridiculous that every bandit group or goblin camp in the world will suddenly vanish because we have mister saint in the party.

>>52740478
If I disregard the dice they will say I am power DM'ing. Again, I could pull a 'rock fall you die' but I want something convincing. But those are actually some good suggestions, thanks.
>>
>>52740490
You mean Pelor "The Burning Hate", the most racist of the gods?

I mean, you did fuck up, because you treated a non-human as anything but a slave.

Did you fuck up your alignment? No, because alignments aren't rigid codes of what you can and can't do, and there's an argument to be made for every action. Alignments are meant to be guidelines, at best.
>>
>>52740592
>Only in RE.
I have no idea what you mean by this.
>>
>>52740592
Apparently they aren't acting like a fool. They're succeeding.

I bet you're poor. Risks are how you make money (and REALLY succeed big time). If you take a risk, and it pays off, statistically it might be a bad idea, but for that one situation, it was the right choice.

This character is making the morally correct choice every time, and it is working out. Why is that bad, as far as you're concerned? For an in-game reason, not a metagame "b-b-but t-t-they aren't real c-c-characters!" bullshit reason, nor because it makes you bored.

If you're bored, you talk to the guy out of game. If it's for metagame reasons, get your head out of your ass, because those reasons aren't valid in this situation.
>>
>>52740592
What edition are you running anyway?
>>
>>52740520
What the fuck?

Of course not. Most paladins will cut down outlaws where they stand. You are 100% allowed in killing a random brigand who attacked you.

>>52740543
Please, I'm just using them because what it's more likely to be in a road:
A) Bandits
B) Wolves
If it was a forest I would use wolves.

>>52740555
To be fair there is no way sensing motive would work in everything.

>>52740585
My point is that this doesn't add or remove anything from the plot, it's just fluffy, it's just 'I did good thing and I feel good, yeah!'

Well good for you. But we just wasted like ten minutes while you stroked your cock.

And they have random battles so players can earn gold, xp and try their awesome habilities. Not so they can try debating like in a Phoenix Wright game.
>>
>>52740592
>If I disregard the dice

It's not about disregarding the dice, it's about designing encounters competently. "Boo hoo, the players used one of the options available to them and I didn't want them too", well tough shit dumbass, you're the one who's in control of what options they have available to begin with because you're the fucking DM. Don't want them using diplomacy against bandits? Don't send bandits to fight them, or design the encounter so that diplomacy isn't an option. You failed to do either because you're shit.
>>
>>52740688
>You are 100% allowed in killing a random brigand who attacked you.

What about that means it's the best way to play a paladin?

Your player is the best paladin player I've ever heard of.

>And they have random battles so players can earn gold, xp and try their awesome habilities. Not so they can try debating like in a Phoenix Wright game.

Most of the games I play in don't have any random battles.

If we're fighting, there's a goddamn good reason for it, because only complete morons actually fight when there's another option.

Do you know how fucking easy it is to die in a fight? One crit, you're fucking dead.

You would have to be so far beyond the realm of retarded to actually want to fight constantly, you'd be guaranteed to be dead. No question.
>>
>>52740688
Again you're getting pissed off that a character is trying to roleplay isn't of just murderhobo.
>>
>>52740364
>In a medieval setting however the law is to kill.
No, in the GAME'S setting, the Law is whatever the Paladin's god says is law. If his god is one of mercy, then MERCY IS THE FUCKING LAW, YOU SHIT STAINED, AUTISTIC, ELF DICK SUCKING, KOBOLD CUDDLING, HOBBIT DIDDLING, ORC DUNG EATING, 2 INT RETARD
>>
>>52740629
random encounter
>>
File: 1411506624726.jpg (908KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1411506624726.jpg
908KB, 2400x1600px
>>52740616
Well, if I remember correctly the one I healed was one the few humans of the crew so I guess I'm good from this point of view.

Long story short, after that everybody had to run from golems, the Captain was under the effect of a slowing spell, and because we needed her to go back to the ship, my Cleric had to carry her under his arm, that was funny.
>>
>>52740629
Random encounters.

>>52740673
Just because dices allow him to be sure he really convinced people. I would murder the person who thought insight is a valid skill.

But the fact remains there is no paying off: those NPCs will never appear again. He is literally just wasting time of our lives so he can whiteknight.

>>52740675
5e. Sometimes I say 'sense motive' because I am used to it's older name.
>>
>>52740688
Y'know if you really want human enemies who can't be persuaded you could have them be alchemically doped up/fanatical cultists or both. In other words completely unable to change without being hackneyed, unbelievable tribes of psychopaths.
>>
>>52740779
>Just because dices allow him to be sure he really convinced people

You don't even do hidden rolls?

Man, you really are just a piss awful DM.
>>
>>52740817
Or just make them zombies.
>>
>>52740779
>there is no paying off: those NPCs will never appear again.

You are, and I really mean this, the most dense fucking person I have ever met.

You have to be literally autistic. I don't mean that as an insult, I mean you have to be fucking genuinely autistic to not understand this.

THE INTERACTION IS THE PAYOFF

He is roleplaying. He is pretending to be his character. His character feels compelled (whether it's because it makes him feel good, or his god told him to, or whatever) to take these actions. The actions themselves are the rewards.

He won't fucking stop because of something you do in-game. If you want this to stop, you talk to him out of game.

If you're trolling, you are doing a SUPERB job of it, because I really believe you're this fucking oblivious to the feelings of your players.
>>
>>52740766
Sounds reasonable.

You didn't do anything wrong.

Just remember: Pelor is evil, and believes all non-human races are lesser, and should be subjugated, and made tools of human will.

I'm not even kidding about this stuff.
>>
>>52740364
>But I'm the GM and this is my plot, so I have to make sure the plot is advancing.
Just when I thought you couldn't be any stupider, you oust yourself as a shameless, railroading faggot. You should walk a mile in their shoes, as in, on a railroad, toward an oncoming train.
>>
File: Brethren-before-wenches.jpg (110KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
Brethren-before-wenches.jpg
110KB, 600x406px
>>52740857
I always saw him as the peasant's God but I'll not forget it, many thanks.
>>
File: UA-3-Sub.pdf (75KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA-3-Sub.pdf
75KB, 1x1px
>>52740779
If you're just annoyed by how much time it takes, try introducing your player to the new Oath of Redemption from the three subclasses UA that recently came out, it automates a lot of the persuasion to be good he's doing.
>>
How do the rest of the players feel?
Cause so far it seems like they're ok with what's going on since they help the paladin knock out folks.
>>
>This thread went on for more than ten posts after the first time OP posted
Man you guys got dumb when I wasn't looking
>>
>>52740907
That or just tell him to keep it short.
>>
File: DGFSDVG.png (322KB, 1003x3232px) Image search: [Google]
DGFSDVG.png
322KB, 1003x3232px
>>52740902
Read this.
>>
>>52738367
"Oh no, this paladin player is actually following the Oath of Redemption the way he's supposed to. How do I punish him for being a goody-two-shoes."

Fuck off.
>>
>>52738367
he is a fucking amazing player and I wish i had more like him

you, sir, are fucking scum and a "that GM", fuck off
>>
>>52740485
>C'mon, maybe you are a new player but you know DnD since the conception had random battles.
And now you've ousted yourself as the one new to tabletop games. Random battles aren't a core part of DnD like they are with your fucking single player RPGs. It's an option for filler and resource drain, but a good GM should always be able to improv with the solutions the players attempt.

Maybe when the encounter started, they were just nameless mooks, but the moment someone tries to talk to them, the moment someone asks for their name, they are now a god damned character whether you like it or not. If you can't roll with that, then you have no place running a game.

Go get a copy of RPG Maker, that sounds like it would be more up your alley, you fucking scrub.
>>
>>52740975
Yeah this kinda shit happens and learning to roll with it is basic GMing.
>>
>>52740592

Ask yourself: would encountering another band of bandits/goblins /really/ enrich the narrative you've got going on? Is there something so important that you need the next encounters to be those specific things that you would rather sit through the paladin's monologues for another two sessions? If the party has already solved that type of encounter the first couple of times, there is no real reason to stick it on them again: never forget that you're running on limited air time a session, and padding it with useless filler is a waste for everyone.
>>
File: Concept-Art-Benoit-Godde-Mark-II.jpg (284KB, 992x1363px) Image search: [Google]
Concept-Art-Benoit-Godde-Mark-II.jpg
284KB, 992x1363px
This is now a SCI-FI thread, post Space men & woman
>>
>>52738367
>>52740817
Or by having constructs, dinosaurs, zombies, and other mindless evil things as your random encounters.

Maybe the bandit population has been taking a sharp drop due to the actions of your paladin, but that also means that a necromancer has set up shop in places bandits would normally hide.

If you don't like the outcome of bandit encounters, or even goblins and other ostensibly Always Chaotic Evil races, then don't use them.

Or, if you want to be cruel, have baddies that the Paladin save fall back into their evil ways. Have bandits who took up banditry not because they were poor, but because they were covetous of their neighbors things and after burning down their hometown burnt down the next one and the next one because the taste of blood was too sweet. When the party returns to the town have the corpses of men your paladin spared strung up in the square, because just because he forgave them didn't mean the Law or the Mob did.
>>
>>52740945
Yeah, I remembered it without the details, I saw it a few month ago, saved and thanks anon.
>>
>>52741053
Epic fantasy is better, git gud
>>
>>52740592
>If I disregard the dice they will say I am power DM'ing
Better than shit DMing, and I didn't say disregard the dice, I said apply the proper circumstance bonus you thick headed fuck. The dice aren't fucking all powerful, and and even the most persuasive person would have a hard time convincing someone to do what they would consider suicide.
>>
>>52741044
It seems like he's using random encounters as a resource drain.
Seems kinda pointless but then again I don't run D&D.
>>
>>52741098
Bitch, almost hard sci.fi is where the shit is at, fight me !
>>
>>52741126
>>
>>52741126
That pic had better be unrelated.
>>
>>52741153
sure it is

This one is not

But is some love for sexy space woman so wrong ?
>>
File: norem-fools-gold-1988.jpg (383KB, 623x800px) Image search: [Google]
norem-fools-gold-1988.jpg
383KB, 623x800px
This thread noe belongs to the sublime sci-fi faction.

post sci-fi relatet stuff
>>
>>52741267
>>
>>52740733
this
>>
>>52740779
>those NPCs will never appear again
Why? They can be used for a subplot or sidequest or something. Why instantly discard them?
>>
>>52739474
Is his behavior annoying other players? If not, what's the problem? You seem upset because the player is not playing a paladin how YOU want paladins played, but it sounds like the player is playing his paladin correctly, would you rather him be lawful stupid? if his behavior is not bothering anyone else, I don't see an issue. It's about the players, NOT you anyway. That's just my opinion though,I'd love to play with your paladin
>>
ITT: More proof that D&D causes brain damage.
>>
>>52742103
>HURR DURR GUIZ, WUT IZ PROOF?
>CORRELATION AND CAUSATION? FUGGIN WIZRDS AND THEIR INCANTATIONS
>STUP LIKING WUT I DUNT LIKE REEEEEEEEE
>[30 straight minutes of autistic screeching]
>>
>>52738367

Oh look it's that DM
>>
File: 1482589049443.png (121KB, 362x317px) Image search: [Google]
1482589049443.png
121KB, 362x317px
>>52738367
>>52738367
>510 replies, 144 images
>>
>>52742328
Relax, I stopped posting since this thread already gave me a good plan.
>>
File: 1483628291974.jpg (126KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483628291974.jpg
126KB, 960x720px
>>52742367
Whatever, faggot. Get out of here.
>>
>>52738910
>Yes he is LG, but a LG paladin wouldn't stop to lecture every single outlaw.
Yes he could, unless there is a pressing greater threat in play.
>>
>>52742367
What plan was this, dare I ask?
>>
>>52742564
Next group of bandits he defeats and let go will actually have a boss who is very intimitading, which will offscreen rally them back and burn down a village.

When he goes to fight them again the boss will hide in a fortress and command from there, so he will have to slay his soldiers in order to advance. If he stops to knock out enemies the gates will open and additional bandits will pop up, alongside a healer.

Yeah it's not a loss. For the players it will be a fun battle. And for him it will be a reminder that doing good doesn't mean good consequences. Win win.
>>
Just talk to him you troglodyte
>>
>>52738514
Why even play with other players if you're just going to anally try to dictate how they play their characters?
>>
>>52742636
Why are you so obsessed with bandits, anyway?
>>
>>52742636
Be sure to comeback and tell us how the paladin and crew wrecked your plans.
>>
File: 1478113057861.jpg (1MB, 534x2707px) Image search: [Google]
1478113057861.jpg
1MB, 534x2707px
>>52742636
I thought I told you to get the hell out of here, you toad.
>>
>>52742686
Bandits are a medieval stapple.

>>52742706
Sadly this thread will probably be dead, but if it's alive I will.
>>
>>52742367
Hopefully your plan is "step down from running games and become an hero"
>>
>>52742728
Just use the same paladin image and thread title so we know its you, you autistic piece of shit.

You don't deserve your party group.
>>
>>52742805
>pallyfag salty
Sure.
>>
>>52742636
>Next group of bandits he defeats and let go will actually have a boss who is very intimitading, which will offscreen rally them back and burn down a village.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that if a) the bandit group is located around a village to burn down and b) the boss has enough men and resources to build and maintain a fortress, that somebody outside of the group would've heard of this leader and have some sort of idea as far as where he's located?

Hell, bandits aren't autonomous XP generators, they're ordinary human beings, barely a step above peasants, and most are bandits out of necessity, not necessarily because they want to just rape and pillage for the sake of it. Some are bandits because the alternative is starving in the wilderness. If the bandits are given a better alternative than risking their lives robbing people, most would probably take the chance, especially if a) they're given a blessing from a paladin and b) they're given gp to thrive on.
>>
This guy sounds like a good RPer and you should learn to roll with it. We have a paladin in our party and he's the most fun guy at the table. Makes the campaign way more interesting by forcing us to accommodate his lawfulness.

When we loot houses he just stands in the doorway and remarks "this is immoral, and whenever his player isn't there/he isn't privy to some action someone else takes we lovingly joke about how we can only do this because lawful good mom isn't watching.

Embrace it.
>>
>>52742856
>Starts an entire thread bitching about how his players aren't murderhoboing
>Calls others salty.
K senpai
>>
>>52738514
there is a fucking reason you have the OPTION to kill/knock them out, passifists and players that want to rp tot he best of their abilities.
>>
File: bubbles2.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bubbles2.gif
2MB, 640x480px
>>52743278
Not opfag
>if you kill people in self defense you're a murderhobo
>>
>>52744177
That's not what's being discussed here and you know it.
>>
>>52744177
nowhere in that line of conversation was the word murderhobo mentioned. What are you even talking about?
>>
>>52738514
For the deaf
>>
>>52740779
> there is no paying off: those NPCs will never appear again. He is literally just wasting time of our lives

Dude. Literally all of this is wasting time of your lives. It is, surprisingly, just a fucking game. If he's having fun and the rest of the players enjoy it, who gives a shit? He's a good guy, and he's being a good guy.

also
>those npcs will never appear again

why? he's invested time into them, so has everyone else, so make them come back. be creative. let their actions have ACTUAL RAMIFICATIONS. And don't blame one player for you not being a creative dm.
>>
>>52738367
absurd. they have threatened harm and likely committed murder. Cut off their hand, at least.
>>
File: index2222.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index2222.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>52738391
there you go.
>>
>>52744743
>>52744805
Hello OP.
>>
>>52744805
He looks like jeesus if he got woken up at 3 AM at by a neighbors houseparty.
>>
>>52744821
I'm OP?
Funny, I looked in the mirror and didn't see any faggots.
Did you?
>>
>>52744833
>I'm not OP
>Which is why I'm going to angrily reply.
Also, for the record, the IP counter didn't go up when you posted either time, and nobody else ITT agrees with your faggotry. You're not fooling anyone OP, and if you didn't find any faggots in the mirror, you obviously weren't trying hard enough.
>>
File: dense.png (70KB, 243x200px) Image search: [Google]
dense.png
70KB, 243x200px
>>52738803
BEcause healing magic has a limited number of uses per day, and may be to big a tool to bring to bear in day-to-day situations. For everything else, there's medical skills, herbs, and medicines. Broken wrist? Splint it and take it easy on that arm a few weeks. Eat a bit heartier to fuel the healing process. Every sure spell, lay on hands, restoration or whatever spent on something simple is healing magnic not available for something deadly or catastrophic.

So he's playing a merciful, attentive and skilled healadin that fights if he must, prefers nonviolent solutions, and stands ready to care for the sick and less fortunate. Sounds like a great Paladin saddled with a shitty DM.
>>
If you wanted to capture them, you should have given them the option. Assumming there was one, you'd say "Dungeon, or die where you stand?"

If he says dungeon, you take him back to your lord to be tried. Which is pointless, since the penalty for banditry is death. But after wasting your lords time, and assumming he granted them mercy, they would be towed off to the dungeons to spend the rest of their lives in agony being tortured everyday.
>>
Where do you children get this fantasy notion of the medieval era as being the "romance" era. It was romantic in the sense that life had many burdens and that to enjoy life who had to really savor each breath. They seem to think its some fairy book tale.

Its just very disappointing, seeing children reduced to such a state of ignorance.
>>
I'd kill to have a player like yours OP, you fucking fuck.
>>
>>52744953
I mean, it's all trade-offs. They spent way much less time working than we do today. Well, maybe not you shut-ins, but normal people. Not that I'd take the extra time off to hang around in a house held together with literal shit and bet on which kids are gonna die.
>>
>>52744351
>Why would a paladin have a claymore if he was supposed to sit down and talk?
>For the deaf

Oddly badass
>>
>>52744953
Where do you get the idea that D&D is supposed to be an accurate representation of how life was during the medieval times? Look at any setting or module in D&D's lifespan and you'll find that if there was any similarities to IRL conventions, it's usually either an accident or incidental to the point of being in a fantasy realm killing dragons and getting loot.
>>
File: this guy.jpg (283KB, 2024x2748px) Image search: [Google]
this guy.jpg
283KB, 2024x2748px
>>52740945
>>52740857
>>52740616
ah yes, 4chan lies. I get it, we all think pelor is zarus, but there is no reason why he couldn't have gone all harmless awkward racist grampa
>>
>>52738367
Hey op;

You suck as a DM. You are whining that your player is doing the thing he does (why do you keep having sapients that arn't irredeemably evil interact with him in a 'random' encounter anyway?) Being butthurt over you not flinging evil shit at him i really dumb. He's playing his character, either challenge him by fucking with him, or just accept that encounters won't be bloody all the time (you can still give out loot, i'm one of the DM's who reward not thinking like murderhobos. One guy sent money back home every time he got a chance, his town sent him random shit (a good sword and a ring) as a thanks. He could have bought them both for way less than he invested, but the story of the farmboy going around being a hero so his town can survive was way cooler and more immersive. Also, we get to tell a story that isn't 'we went here and killed things, then here and killed things, then we broke into here and killed things'

which, if that's the campaign you want to run, don't let a paladin be in the party. talking and roleplaying man, it's more fun than hitting things and rolling dice.

(oh, and depending on what god, not killing hostiles is a pretty normal thing for Paladins to do, especially if they feel they can rehabilitate it's clerics that do not give a fuck)
>>
>>52744874
I wish a Mod or janitor would show up and expose them. Probably would ban them too.

I miss the old days of asshole Mods.
>>
>>52738514
He's playing Lawful Good and you clearly desire him to play some fucked up Chaotic whatever paladin.

Let the guy have his cake if he's not a detriment to the rest of the groups cake.
>>
>Player ISN'T being a mindless murderhobo
>How do I stop this???
What the fuck
>>
>>52744953
It's literally fantasy you fuckwit
>>
OP is a faggot but if I had a player like this, I know one thing I'd love to do.

Introduce a reoccurring villain, not someone too dangerous, but dangerous enough. Not a rampaging murderer, but someone who'll kill for a reason. An assassin, a phantom thief, a fallen crusader, something like that.

Every time the Paladin reasons with them, they will in all honesty want to turn over a new leaf, and every time, they'll return to their old lifestyle. Out of weakness, out of familiarity, out of impulse, whatever.

It'll be a game to see whether the Paladin gives up on them first or whether he'll go so far that I'll have no choice but to give them a full redemption.
>>
File: Donovan.png (171KB, 1546x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Donovan.png
171KB, 1546x1250px
Does anyone have the greentext of the paladin who gave away magic items(I remember he gave a belt) to his rogue player after he made a moral choice that cost them loot? I've looked for it all over because I remember it had some good lines in it for a paladin to use.
I humbly submit this one as payment.
>>
Someone please post that Gygax quote about LG. I think a lot of people need to read it.

If they atone, you kill them before they rescind.

Nits Breed Lice.
>>
>>52747275
Everyone is a possible sinner. Kill them all and let God[s] sort them out.
>>
>>52747022
I'd love to play this. not even as a main thing, just a subplot, something so background it's innocuous.

Maybe near the end of the campaign do a sort of 'make or break' moment for the paladin?
>>
File: Gygax egalitarianism.png (45KB, 1840x373px) Image search: [Google]
Gygax egalitarianism.png
45KB, 1840x373px
>>52747275
>>
File: gygax lawful good.jpg (976KB, 1280x1110px) Image search: [Google]
gygax lawful good.jpg
976KB, 1280x1110px
>>52747355
Shit, wrong quote.
>>
File: images (20).jpg (9KB, 270x301px) Image search: [Google]
images (20).jpg
9KB, 270x301px
>>52739013
> Entire thread of (presumably) experienced GMs telling you why you're limiting your players ability to roleplay therefore making it less fun
> "muh /tg/ disappoints me"
> Your ego is this big

Why post a thread if you're not willing to consider opinions alternate to your own?
I'd happily take your player off your hands if I was able to and I'm sure he would have a lot more fun.
>>
sounds like a proper daddy

i want this paladin on my side
>>
>>52747373
So essentially he was saying that whether a paladin kills or not largely depends on the code said paladin follows, but that a paladin does not have to kill if the paladin judges a person worthy of redemption, and this all of course varies from code to code and paladin to paladin.
>>
>>52747478
Only from a modern perspective, in AD&D paladins must be lawful good.
>>
>>52747501
That I know, but there were still a variety of gods that they could follow, thus, there was more than one code or oath a paladin could be following, my point still stands, no matter the edition.
>>
>>52747572
Gods are a very little part of the paladin's rule-set, they simply get their clerical powers for being more chivalrous than thou. As said by >>52739559 they are far more focused on the lawful aspect rather than the good.

An AD&D paladin would not go against the tenets of lawful goodness over a god's will.
>>
>200 replies later
Did you manage to convince OP that he's a terrible DM yet?
>>
>>52747669
If you were trying to support your point you quoted the wrong person, he said paladins are supposed to put good before law in most cases.

I never said gods were a huge part but they are still a part of a paladins ruleset, at least in earlier editions than 5e D&D. To further clarify there are a number of Lawful Good Gods to follow in pretty much every published setting for any D&D edition, these gods all have different focuses, and a paladin following a specific god would make an oath to that god not to the tenets of lawful good. So, if a gods oath said Law first but only if it is just, you follow Law primarily with that god, another god might put Good before Law, seeing my point yet?
>>
>>52747675
At this point he tried to samefag and got BTFO'd, so I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship.
>>
>>52739511
I act like that in real life... (i'm an officer of the law and used to be a marine. worked fine for me, no reason to kill someone unless they are trying to kill you, just pointing out how you are dumb)
>>
>>52738367
At least your paladin is being a paladin.
During a game I ran a year ago a paladin bought a sex slave.
>>
>>52748206
From lawful authority in order to keep her out of the rough life of an unskilled beggar no doubt!
>>
>>52748218
Not even remotely. Used her like a mule to carry shit and "kept her close at night"
>>
>>52748206
Seems like Gygax would call it legit since he says even Chaotic Good characters can take slaves according to
>>52747373
>>
>>52748230
Hone the body by day and the mind by night! Naturally it was all part of her reintroduction into society, not just as a free woman, but as a woman who could take on the world alone!
>>
>>52748230
Good, honest labor and keeping her safe from the horrors of the dark and less than noble PCs, sounds like a much better life than whoring.
>>
>>52748259
>Teaching independence
>By forcing her to carry your shit and fuck you
>>52748274
>being raped by a paladin every night against your will
>better life than whoring
I mean, being a whore's no picnic but at least you get paid.
>>
>>52748247
That's CG characters though, not LG. Besides, I'm pretty sure forcing a woman to carry your shit and have sex with you would probably fall somewhere in the neutral territory if we're being honest.
>>
That sounds amazing honestly. Paladins that are "more good than lawful" are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world, someone playing lawful good correctly sounds really refreshing and also somewhat amusing. Like if you want to be chaotic good and purge evildoers while giving people what they need instead of what they want you don't roll a paladin and if someone being genuinely lawful good is something you hate then tell your players upfront that you don't want no paladins.

So like pretty much everyone else is saying OP is a faggot.
>>
>>52748350
only op thinks he's not a faggot.
>>
>>52747763
>they are still a part of a paladins ruleset
Best paladin sourcebook specifically states that pallys don't actually need to follow a god, and goes into detail on the alternatives.
>>
あなた達の言ってる映画はロビンフッド、なぞなぞでタコが出て来るが、それは日本語でその手は食わない、格言や古い言葉、ゾンビは足は食べる、は英語、タコは足は1本ぐらい食べてもまた生えて来る、あとタコはカニを食べる、蟹は海のネズミとも言われている
>>
>>52744351
>>52738514
A real paladin.
>>
>>52738367
>After all what purpose is there on a paladin who isn't ready to kill?

To be the faithful heretic who defies the murderous deathlust of the corrupt Paladin code. By choosing to save life and empower it, he defeats evil, and is a truer Paladin than any. I hope he spites you at every turn in working to make a world where murder isn't the first solution.
>>
File: astroknight.jpg (31KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
astroknight.jpg
31KB, 500x536px
>>52741053
>>
>>52738367
>My paladin is actually playing a paladin, how do I punish him for this?
Are you retarded or something, OP?
>>
File: Paladin approves.png (21KB, 1000x385px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin approves.png
21KB, 1000x385px
>>52748688
As someone who is basically a paladin in real life;

I approve of this message.
>>
>>52738803
>He does this to every enemy that isn't pure evil.
That's exactly what a Paladin is supposed to do, you blithering moron. The only people who get the sword are pure evil and inherently beyond mercy and redemption. If it's not a demon literally made out of evil, and you can afford to spare it, you spare it.
>>
>>52748853
>Are you retarded or something, OP?
Yes, yes he is.
>>
>>52739369
Then make them actual mindless monsters instead of people capable of reasoning.
>>
>>52740364
>>murderhobo
>I know you haven't read the thread, but it's literally impossible to be a murderhobo by killing faceless goons. Murderhobo is killing peasants, you know, faceless good NPCs.
>OP doesn't even understand what murderhobo means
This is the textbook definition of murderhobo. "I stab the pregnant woman and her farmer husband" isn't murderhobo, that's CE lolsorandumb dickhole.
>>
I doubt OP is still skulking around here, but I'll say this.

Remove the player from your game. It's clear you have no intention of letting him play the character he wants, and dislike his methods, so it would be best for that player to find a different game rather than suffer passive-aggressive attacks to his character and play method from a cunt behind a screen.

Or fudge dice rolls and cheat him out of his wins, because you clearly are That Guy.
>>
>>52747022
>Every time the Paladin reasons with them, they will in all honesty want to turn over a new leaf, and every time, they'll return to their old lifestyle. Out of weakness, out of familiarity, out of impulse, whatever.
>It'll be a game to see whether the Paladin gives up on them first or whether he'll go so far that I'll have no choice but to give them a full redemption.
I'm pretty sure if this guy keeps failing then the paladin needs to either stop giving him chabnces or take personal responsibility for him. Make him his fucking hireling and drill the straight and narrow into the guy until it sticks.
>>
>>52747373
>Mercy is for the lawbreaker who does so by accident
That isn't even mercy. You need intent in order to sin.
>>
>bought farmong equipment to them

Where should they farm if they don't own any land?
>>
>>52738514
Demons and other creatures of unmoveable alignment. Shit you are gonna convince that devil lich dragon not to be a dick but you can end him.
>>
>>52748880
Well that makes me mad. I'd kill to have someone like this playing the paladins in my games instead of DETECT EVIL -> SMITE robots.
>>
>>52748952
>Buy bandits farming equipment
>They can become freelance farm hands, since the farmer doesn't have to spend money giving them extra tools, or risking losing his own tools
>Or they can sell the tools and use the money for more constructive uses, like maybe getting into trade, or traveling to another land to find work
>>
>>52738514
>Go play a cleric if you want to make friends.
The hilarious thing is that even an LG cleric is more likely to slay their enemies if their god demands it. A Paladin is accountable to Law and Good, meaning slaying the unbeliever is wrong even if a god tells them to.
>>
>>52748958
Rule of thumb
Good, fun DM=Bad players
Bad, shitty DM=Good players
It's a weird irony in the universe
>>
>>52748938
Depends, could be speaking about manslaughter there.
>>
I do hope you all know OP is full of absolute horse shit, right?
I know this thread likes its bait threads, but at least get something good to turn on.
>>
>>52749066
One can only pray OP was full of shit, because otherwise I wheap for the paladin player.
>>
>>52738367
Bait.
>>
>>52749066
I dunno, I've seen some deeply stupid people in my day.

And for the most part it was people laughing at OP or giving him shit, not getting angry. If this was a trolling attempt it was a bad one. Getting laughed out of the room is not a successful troll.
>>
>>52739732
S P H E R R
>>
>>52738367
>hurr durr muh paladins not being a murder hobo hurr durr why do police have guns if they're not meant to shoot hurr durr how do I punish good roleplaying because it takes time away from whatever shit tier plot im doing hurr
>>
>>52738514
Piss off
>>
This thread is so bad, Bahamut's shit

OP is neutral evil in reality, I'm certain.
>>
>>52740688
You have such a small mind. Most likely to be encountered on the road... bandits and wolves... but wolves only in the forest... goddamnit, have a bit of an imagination. I wouldn't be surprised the paladin knows about your shitty DM'ing and out of sheer boredom decided to end your grind of a campaign by saving everyone.
>>
>>52738910
>No, I want him to stop wasting time on random encounters.

>stop wasting time
>in my random encounters
No, you fucking stop
>>
>>52738514
>A paladin should dish the law to his enemies
They're not his enemies you fucknut. They're plebs who make bad choices.

His enemy is Satan, not bandits.
>>
>>52739369
Is it really a campaign if the party is just wandering around clearing dungeons amd getting attacked by bandits? I only ever use random encounters if the session involves very little combat to cater to people who just like fighting.
>>
>>52748954
Fucknugget, humans can change, demons can't.
Thread posts: 294
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.