[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being a Passive Aggressive Dipshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: hobo_knight_by_sinclairion.jpg (124KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
hobo_knight_by_sinclairion.jpg
124KB, 800x1067px
Hello /tg/, its been a while.

I come to you with a question about introspection of my part, because I feel torn between justified and being an asshole, so I figured I let you be the judges.

My Story resolves with a gamegroup, because why the fuck else would I post here

A new group was assembled, I was invited by the gm who was an old friend who I hadnt played with in years so I was up for it. Prep and first meeting of the other guys, all no problem, but shit started going wrong at chargen.

System was not DnD but- you know what, lets say it was GURPS. It wasnt, but more people know it, not that important, whats important is that you can freely build characters like you want them with some restrictions

We made characters seperated, but with a general outline what each would play, I agreed to do the frontline fighter part.

Now, I prefer strategical fighters because I was to have a leaderrole (group call, not mine) and being smart usually helps leaders.
The GM however was insistend that I go knight, even though its basically a bad fighter that gets less payoff in the longrun.

Now, not my preference, but eh, whatever, I figured I could make it work by making him halfways social, and be a charming talker white knight guy, the classical stuff

A lot of points into advantages for him to have competent stats that could carry him through a fight and also converse on a mediocre level. Goody goody gumdrops, not optimized for one or the other, but rounded, and I evaded disadvantages that would lower my social interaction with the group (which was going to be a bunch of mixed cultures). Looked fine so far, even spent generation points to get a horse at character start, because knight
>>
Then I spent my skills on my two groups evenly, spliced in some knowledge to know what Im doing.

And then the GM rebuilt him. He did that to all the characters to "help new players". Well, judge for yourselves.

First he threw out all of my skills. Im not kidding. He took the maximum amount of a disadvantage that meant I start the game with less points to build the character and then some (yes, its as retarded as it sounds, getting points for having less points, equalling in just being worse).
Then he took even more disadvantages, some of which I evaded, and now had to deal with like arrogance and narcism. To take an advantage I didnt like, because it was very random in nature, and was freaking expensive.
He also switched a few stats around.

To make it short, he rewrote the knight, that I didnt really want in the first place, from a veteran charming honorable guy, into a barely literal babbling idiot that couldnt argue his way out of a cardboard box. Im not kidding on the barely literate, the character could no longer write full sentences after the rebuild. As the social noble (while noble is a pretty expensive advantage you HAVE to take if you make a knight, go figure).

So far, I dealt with it. I wasnt very happy, but hey, hes the GM, and we hadnt played together in forever, so I can try to make it work, right?

Thats when he started on the houserules.
>>
So many houserules. Basically everything has a houserule. Those feats dont work no more, they are replaced with these new reworked feats, all weapons are rewritten, also this and that and this.

One of them was, for example, that everyone could start with full equipment, no matter if they could afford it or not.

Now this system isnt big on magic weapons, and you certainly cant call a house equipment, so I get the idea that the orc gladiator (we got one of those, more of him later) shouldnt have to start with linen and a stick so he can have his character already fleshed out.

However, remember the noble advantage I mentioned earlier? The main point of that advantage is that you get more money for starting equipment, to make nobles stand out for owning more money. I paid full price for that, but got the same "just pack what you find fitting for the concept". The orc packed more expensive armor than me, and I also had to pay for the horse out of my generation points because its not technically equipment.
Oh, and also, the orc was not only a better fighter statswise, but ALSO better skilled in social skills and reading.

I COULD DEAL WITH ALL OF THAT. Yes, a lot of stuff to cut back on, and a butchered PC to play, but its all about fun, right? Turns out, not for me, at least not in the way I would define it.

Lets get on to actual playing, shall we?
>>
So first off, the orc gladiator was played by a guy that also played a wandering trickster (he switched characters before adventures so only one was active at a time), so the backup muscle wasnt always around, in fact the entirety of the first three adventures he wasnt. This is important for the reason that VERY soon into playing, we got confronted with some enemies, and I had to realize something.
While combat is often secondary in this system, its obviously a skill you should still have, bandits are a thing, and monsters too. Only the other guys had NO combat skills. One could shoot a bad sling, that dealt enough damage to maybe knock over a dung beetle, if it was balanced on two feet. One could turn into a wolf, but only every fullmoon (great allround combat ability there!). One was afraid of blood. Yipee.
This meant to me that I could not enjoy combats. Call me an asshole for not enjoying myself in having a specialized area, but seriously, combats take long no matter the system, and I personally hate having people sit on the sidelines watching if they cant participate.
I would hate being put in timeout for an hour as well, afterall.

So, the logical conclusion for me was to evade fights whenever possible. Obviously it wasnt always possible. Oh yes.
Now you probably think that I could still enjoy the combats if I played my cards right and ended them quickly or went strategical about involving them.
>>
Those people have two flaws in their train of though, the first one being that "my" PC would need to have any sort of strategical knowledge or leadership abilities.

The second one that the encounters would need to be viable encounters.

See, because this became freaking obvious, the encounters that were thrown at us werent designed to be beaten. You expect normal level 1 stuff to appear in a forest (even though there is no level system), like wolves right? While wolves are pretty deadly, they are beatable, and can be fend off. Now, what do you say about a 15 feet long lesser dragon that swoops in and steals your sword from your back because it likes shiny things? No rolls, mind you. It just does. So you follow it because you are an arrogant sissypants that wants his sword back.

Only to find not only the one but two dragons. Which emit heat auras every turn that do constant sustained damage and melt your shield. Did I mention I built my combat around that shield? And that isnt actually in the rules? And even 1 of those dragons is actually too powerful to be defeated by a bunch of newly made guys?

I will cut it shorter here, basically yeah, I got my sword back, my face and shield melted, armor weakened, but survived on bullshit the GM pulled because he doesnt like killing PCs.

And this trend continued.
>>
This continued until the character is even worse off than the guy in the picture of my first post. I lost ALL equipment, INCLUDING clothes, freaking HAIR (heat auras remember), got facial scars and had to half-break my oath every time I ran because Im supposed to stand and fight but also protect those close to me (which, like I said earlier, cant fight for themselves even if they wanted it).

At this point the GM is confused that I play the character as having a crisis, because the latest shenanigan was him losing his free will for several months and working in a mine because he walked through a fancy door (which was the only possible way to go mind you), which meant that he had also broken his oath of protecting the others (because they are weak bodied they were deemed bad workers and thrown out).

So, getting free is about the last thing we did last session.

And Im just feeling that this guy is becoming unfitting for a "hero" character (the PCs are always heros, dont question it). He cannot fight anymore as he has no weapons. He never was able to talk properly. He has nothing left to prove his standing, not even his face of voice (did I mention his voice got changed permanently by drinking river water? Kobolds.)
>>
This is table flipping shit.
I would have left soon after he redid my character.
>>
At this point, Im taking it kinda personal. This isnt fun to me. The system isnt there to make a powerfantasy or anything, but the reasonable thing for the character at this point would be to throw himself into the next best fight and die with the smudge that he once called honor, having failed all his duties, having lost all he had faith in, dissapointed his goddess, left his subordinates (the other PCs) to fend for themselves.

And I feel like the GM is preparing some BS to make it up again. Throw a giant treasure at us according to the quest, enough rebuy the stuff I lost.

And this is the part why Im here. I dont want that. I dont want the conclusion of "you suck you suck you suck" being "suddenly gold falls from the sky for sucking this long". Honestly, my plan if we do make it to the treasure pile of legends is to not take anything. Guiding the others and finally managing to do something right, if even that, I would accept as IC reason for this narcisst honorbound dickbag to be too good for the gold.

I raged on and on, what Im basically asking is, after all the chaos, houserules, pregen and general bullshit, is it a dickmove of me to go "no" to the obvious oh so glorious "here you go this makes all better again"?

This quest thing started after I attempted to talk to him about it, because well, the character has no hand-to-hand capabilities (thats not a given in the system just because you are a frontliner). He tried to fend most off and I doubt he actually understood my point (it being that Im OC not having fun in having to play a asocial illiteral cripple in a leadership position).

So this entire things feels less than an apology but more than "oh fine here you go have gold to buy stuff again its fallen off a random cart" and I fear he wont change at all.

What do you think, /tg/?

Accept the pitty gold begrudly given?

Or cut threads and and go back to just being "old friends"?
>>
>>52707744
I think it's a good plan.
Dropping out of the group might be just as good though.
>>
I'm going to assume you fucked his mom or ran over his dog or fucked his dog because that's the only way this makes sense.
>>
Is your character powerful enough to murder the party?
>>
>>52708042
Depends, if I get a big stick to use as a club then yes. They are THAT inept at combat in general, after the "rebuild to help out new players".

One or two of them might run faster than me though
>>
>>52708037
not that Im aware of doing. And I dont remember getting blackout drunk around him or his family. Or ever feeling attracted to dogs, drunk or not
>>
>>52708077
trap them in a cave
kill them, and then kill yourself
>>
>>52708114
While that certainly would be going out with a bang, and would go very much against the preferences of the GM who likes to have us survive on bullshit, I feel that would be punishing the wrong people.

The other guys are the only reason I stayed THIS long because they are generally nice people.
>>
>>52707542
You should have stood up for yourself in the first place, dude. It shouldn't matter if it's an old friend.
>>
>>52708320
yeah, you are probably right. At the time I just figured this would be a small game and didnt know he had planned to make it a longterm group, but still. A lot of shit could have been evaded.
>>
>>52708230
>Caring about this shitty GM's "preferences"
Just stop playing with that guy. Better yet take his players. Tell them you'll actually let them make their own characters without editing them all. Make your own game that's better, invite them all, hell, even invite him to show him how much better you can do it.
>>
>>52708365
I get it, talking to an old pal about how his game sucks won't ever be an easy conversation but subjecting yourself to something that's not fun isn't the solution. And if no one ever tells him their actual feelings on the game he runs, he'll never improve.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.