[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 45

Last thread
>>52563379
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Prolly asked it before but I'm braindead at the end of a long week; what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most? Still in your collection? What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
>>
>>52622395

I loved Clue. I plan to fetch my old copy next time I go back to my parents' house.

My first hobby game was the usual: Catan. But it didn't really capture my attention much. I had side exposure to a number of others, but Forbidden Desert is the one that really got me into it.
>>
Could anyone give me some recommendations/comments on the following games:

>Tragedy Looper
>Witch Hunt
>The Lords of Rock
>Legends of Draxia
>Fairy Tale
>Crisis: Tokyo
>Ars Alchimia
>Noir
>Eight Epics
>Attack on Titan DBG

I'm currently visiting the US, and I'm looking for some games to take back to Germany. These are the games that caught my eye at a FLGS near me.
>>
>What's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most? Still in your collection? What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
I'd say maybe Risk or Monopoly, but I didn't like Monopoly very much and Risk was just something I played at camp.
I borrowed a copy of Catan and Bang from a cousin, and fell down the rabbit hole form there. Played Catan for about 7 hours straight with my friends, pulling a literal all nighter.

>>52622865
Tragedy Looper is my favorite game, but it mostly involves analyzing board state and looking at a spreadsheet in order to make logical deductions. It's really not a game for everyone, but I love it since on one side, it's a puzzle game that's actively working against you, and on the other, you're trying to bluff/feign/improvise a plan on the spot.

I felt like Fairy Tale really too simple and bland. It's my only drafting game outside of MtG, but most of the cards were too straightforward and lacked interesting interaction. The expert cards are a step in the right direction though, but they account for a small portion of the deck.
>>
>>52622865
>Attack on Titan DBG
I talked about this game a little last thread in these posts:
>>52565169
>>52565201

If these don't help feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to try and answer it
>>
>>52623294
Is it the same "engine" as the Naruto DBG?
>>
>>52624319
Naruto DBG and AoT DBG are the only decent games to use that engine.
>>
>>52622395
>mass market game from youth?
Stratego. I used to play that a lot with my brothers. I liked Risk too, but not as much.
>>
>>52624362
That's a definitive deal breaker then.
I only paid $5 for Naruto DBG and that's all it was worth to me. Traded it away at the first opportunity.
>>
>>52624449
Watch a let's play of the Attack on Titan one, it uses a lot of positional mechanics, it's the best of the games by far.
>>
File: 1484681732789.png (59KB, 383x279px) Image search: [Google]
1484681732789.png
59KB, 383x279px
>>52624449
>buying a Naruto board game at all
>>
>>52624514
Why wouldn't I?
It was dirt cheap and I have friends who I knew would enjoy it or at least get use out of it even if it turned out to be as bad as I expected it to.
>>
RIP
https://youtu.be/fq7YQD-Drgw
>>
>>52624790
His FoD reprint request was truly wonderful, but I hadn't watched any of his reviews in over a year; surprised he was still going.
>>
File: download.jpg (15KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15KB, 211x239px
>>52622395
why do i love this game soo much
>>
>>52624917
tfw they removed it from Steam before I got to try it.
>>
>>52622395
>what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most? Still in your collection?
None and none actually. Designer games have ruined the "toygames" from when I was little. I have fond memories of some of them precisely because I did NOT replay them later. All the ones I replayed, I threw in the trash immediately.

>What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
Arkham Horror. It blew me away. I had never seen pieces you punch out and it was so satisfying. The smell of the game was amazing. The rules were dense. It felt like a roleplaying experience with all the little pieces represented for you instead of a pen and paper. It has sense lost the magic but I keep it in my collection to remind me of how I went from a TCG competitor to a board game enthusiast overnight. It made games about being fun instead of about money, stress, and detecting cheaters.
>>
>>52625387
You didn't miss much.
>>
>>52625387
its coming back right ?
>>
>>52625819
I think it is moving to Asmodee Digital site https://steamcommunity.com/games/446540/announcements/detail/501428497053993026
>>
>>52622395
I still think Scrable is a fun game, got s copy floating around somewhere.

Zombicide was my first real experience with modern board games and I still own a copy of that as well.
>>
Axis and Allies. I still love it.

Lnoe for transitioning into the modern age of gaming, I guess. I'll try other war games every but right now I'm in love with theme games if they're done right.
>>
To the TTS Anon, thanks brah.
You did me a solid.

If you want, Ill upload the Character packs after I add change them to the official PnP size.
>>
>>52624917
Nah, ideas are ok, but gameplay is shitty, fucking wording problems (with lack of FAQ) and balance be damned. Also, humour become cringey with new sets.
>>
>what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most?
Erm... Carcassonne, i guess.
>Still in your collection?
Not really, but i`m thinking about buying variant of Carcassone (like Amazonas or something). >What about the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
Shitty cooperative games, well sort off.
>>
I've been waiting for Fabled Fruit to be reprinted, anyone know what's good with this?? //sell or trade me your copy? ;^)
>>
Did anyone here buy dunwich legacy for AH TCG? Is it worth it at all? I like the base game but I'm unsure if it'd really worth dumping more money into it with legend of the five rings set to come out at some point (and will probably end up having better game events)
>>
So gears of war is oop?
>>
>>52629691
Has been for quite a while.
>>
>>52629651
Consider that to play the full Dunwich Legacy campaign, you must get the following 6 small expansion packs as well. If you don't think you're willing to invest in that, or you're not that interested in getting the new player cards to build new decks, you'd be better off waiting for the L5R series instead.
>>
>>52629708
Does it not come with enough to feel standalone then? That's sad. The only reason I picked up the core set is because I could play it solo but if it's going to be that finnicky with expansions I think I'll just stick to videogames.
>>
>>52629728
It has two scenarios, but both of them begin the new campaign, and won't have a proper ending. You could buy the Print on Demand scenarios since those are stand alone, but going through them with only core set cards probably won't be that fun unless you don't mind playing the same deck and the same cards for all of them.
>>
File: 1490494272524.jpg (200KB, 720x774px) Image search: [Google]
1490494272524.jpg
200KB, 720x774px
>>52629760
Kinda shitty. I guess I'll just wait for L5R.
>>
File: 1new.jpg (5MB, 2835x3959px) Image search: [Google]
1new.jpg
5MB, 2835x3959px
>>52627608
Me again, Ill upload both images containing the Hero Realms Character packs for Wizard and Cleric.

Its set to be the same size as the PnP they released for backers.

1/2
>>
>>52629904
Sorry if the quality is a bit shitty but this is what I got from the TTS anon so this is what I'll make do with - at least its still readable.

2/2

Also, if anyone has any other assets from Hero Realms like other classes or different expansions, if you don't mind uploading it here.
>>
File: 2new.jpg (3MB, 2835x3959px) Image search: [Google]
2new.jpg
3MB, 2835x3959px
>>52629930
Sorry I am slightly retarded.
>>
>>52622395

>what's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most?

Does Key to the Kingdom count?
>>
>>52624917
>why
Shit taste.
>>
>>52629473
>anyone know what's good with this

Nothing. It's just Friese trading on his one hit to sell more garbage.
>>
Anyone played Anachrony? Thoughts?
>>
File: pic2875804_md.png (469KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2875804_md.png
469KB, 500x500px
anyone here owns Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters ?
>>
Game night friday went decently, but as usual the presence of casuals hamstrung efforts to get heavier stuff to the table.
>Cry Havoc
Probably the most dramatic game of this I've had yet. Big comeback win for the machines in the last two rounds. Still think each faction is too pigeonholed into predictable strategies, but the game is pretty good at the tactical level.
>World Championship Russian Roulette
Fully expected this to just be RNG and memes given Burch's name plastered on the box, but there's enough mitigating factors that it actually works pretty well. Art is great.
>Mascarade
Still fantastic.
>Secret Hitler
Still worse than souped-up resistance/avalon, but at least it plays fast. Pretty sure this game survives on production quality and memes alone.

>>52622395
>What's the mass market game from your youth that you loved the most?
Chess with my dad, Stratego with my brothers.
>Still in collection?
Chess. No other mass market stuff in my house, unless the wife still has a copy of Sequence squirreled away somewhere.
>First game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games?
Hard to pinpoint. Had copies of a strange area control game called Power and a Star Trek VHS game in middle school that were pretty borderline niche. Played Catan for the first time at a big LAN in. . . 2002? Didn't really like it, but played TI3 for the first time in 2005 and the rest is history.
>>
File: cards1.png (4MB, 1564x1087px) Image search: [Google]
cards1.png
4MB, 1564x1087px
>>52629904
Oh god those are shit. Here's an example of the full digital files.

I should scan my whole collection of them. I already did it with Epic (actually had the best mod on TTS before the DMCA takedown). I have like all the Heroes and everything.
>>
>>52632845
Do you have access to said digital files?
Also if you don't mind you'll do me a huge favor if you scan them in a normal way.
>>
File: tibus.png (3MB, 1115x802px) Image search: [Google]
tibus.png
3MB, 1115x802px
>>52632984
Sadly, no. I'm not from the WWG dev team. They only released a couple digitals as marketing material for the kickstarter. Believe me, if I had that shit, we'd already have HD Hero Realms.

I did, however, manage to synthesize an Epic Card Game template using high res digitals. For making customs.
>>
>>52632738
>Cry Havoc
I was watching all the games you like are bad's video about this game and one of his biggest issues is how limited your options are per turn and how there's so little you can do (prolly paraphrasing a little). Do you feel the same way?
>>
>>52633065
Do you have any plans on scanning the Character Packs?
I was planing on sitting and trying to salvage what I can from some pictures I found on BGG, but it looks like it will take a shit ton of time and end up bad.

If you are willing to scan them, you'll do me a big favor.

Also is Tibus your variation of a boss fight experience for Hero Realms?
If so what are the rules?
>>
>>52633111
I certainly do. It pained me to see reviews of this game miss that critical aspect which sucks the life and joy out of it.
>>
>>52633111
Sort of? I have more of an issue with the number of turns than with your options on any given turn, but there's definitely a lack of granularity in actions that feels a little prohibitive, and probably contribues to my feeling that every faction has a very proscriptive playstyle.
>>
File: icons.png (956KB, 1000x240px) Image search: [Google]
icons.png
956KB, 1000x240px
>>52633120
Tibus is official and I have no idea what the rules are. I saved a lot of these hir-res thinking I could one day synthesize another custom card template but I was so very wrong. Each card has a different frame that's insanely detailed, including each hero type.

I'll probably scan them at some point. I'm here basically every day lurking, so just poke at me to get on it eventually. It's not that I'm too lazy to do it right now, I just have to catalog them and optimize how many unique scans I need, pull out my grid for digitally cutting them, create a TTS-compatible card sheet with the unique backs for some, and host it all on dropbox (so I don't get DMCA'd again)
>>
>>52633204
OK Friend, I'll put my faith in you.
I'm not in a rush so whenever your up for the task, I'll always be here to reap the rewards.

I'm also a lurker so I'll nudge you a few times.
>>
File: 20170410_132418 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170410_132418 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
So I let the mat and paint cure/dry all yesterday afternoon and into today. Was going to lay out the track, and realized I wanted to have the edges defined before I started so I'd know how far from track to border I had. Learned a lesson I should've on the last game map I'd done, putting in a border tape helps because 2/3 times now I've caulked past the edge of my intended size, but painted shy of it, which meant in the end I had to trim short. Thankfully I know early this time, so I laid out the track, and now have one quick patching of the black/blue on the bare spots you can see in the pic. Tomorrow the nebula effects should start going on, which I'm happy about, I've never done this type of painting so I have a day or two to practice on paper.

>>52632738
>>52624445
Was wondering how many of you would say Stratego. STEEV if only you'd join me in a game of Ghost Stories I feel like we'd be the best of friends.
>>
>>52634583
Ghost Stories is actually pretty high up on the list of Co-Op's I'm interested in.
>>
>>52632375
So I actually just got it last Friday to play with my 3 yr old. Played 5 games over the weekend. What do you wanna know
>>
>>52630745
what does that mean?? I'm wondering about the reprint; will the reprint have any changes and when should one expect it?
>>
Has anyone here played Lattice? How is it? Seems really cheap so was wondering
>>
My country is finally starting to produce board games of his own. It's not like I really care about "muh country" but getting local games is much cheaper than importing.
I went to two release events in the past few months, and me and a few friends are going to another this Sunday. I've seen some good ideas floating around, mostly hindered by crappy production quality (shitty papers and cardboards, lame illustrations, etc).
>>
>>52638013
What country?
>>
>>52639308
I'm from Argentina.
I guess the most "international" game made in Arg is Mutant Crops, but there's one coming out called Arte de Batalla, which might be pretty good. A dungeon crawler with no minis and some deckbuilding.
>>
Does anyone have links to that site with the extensive TI3 variant, or links to any interesting custom Ti3 content? Something at least balanced for the average playgroup, not people who have become experts
>>
>>52640544
http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/
>>
>>52640544
SA has been immensly interesting to my group, both for the regulars and veterans and for new players. Highly recommend if you can get through the slog that is assembling a working conversion.

Buy a laminator and laminating material. Amazonbasics has a very cheap and functional set.
>>
>>52629904
Hero Realms? How does it compare to Star Realms?
>>
>>52634583
That looks really awesome, I wish I had the time and space to do something like that
>>
Anyone play Food Chain Magnate? How was it?

Also, is fury of dracula actually good? It looks boring for the hunters
>>
>>52643684
I didn't have the time for years, but being the boss has some perks if business is good. The space really isn't that bad on this one, the Dawn Patrol proof of concept I did last year was 3'x6' and the uncut canvas was like 5x10. At that size it's too big to move solo since you can't roll it til it's varnished, and you have to keep it away from anything that'll cut into the paint job, or get it dirty. This one at least I could move onto a couch or card table or something if I needed to.
>>
>>52643930
Reddit keeps sucking FCM's dick, but I'm not convinced of the hype myself

I would be interested to play it to see whether it's player-driven or game-driven
>>
>>52635632
i can't find the game locally and shipping is a twice the cost of the game where i live...

could you scan the board and share it please?
>>
Looking for advice from someone who has played gloomhaven both 2 player and 4 player.
I am thinking about getting it but realistically will probably only get to play it 2 player. I heard it scales well but it it is way better as a 4 player game I probably won't get it.
>>
>>52644573
My personal test is to check whether people are talking about how they love the game (exampe: Scythe) or if they talk about how to play it. (example: Terra Mystica.)

If it's the first then it's probably a crappy game.
>>
>>52645446
What if I say that I love the game and why I love it?

Example, I love Battlestar Galactica for the amount of tension it ends up creating while still being a fun in-depth co-op game.
>>
>>52645491
You're still talking about yourself and yur feelz, not about the game. I don't really care if you felt ""tension"" or had ""fun"". If you can't discuss the game as a game, then it's probably a crappy game.
>>
>>52645698
So basicly your argument boils down to you don't understand how emotions can make good or bad points about a game and you have autism
>>
>>52645729
""Emotions"" isn't what differentiates boardgames from a zillion other human activities. What differentiates boardgames is a) formal rules and mechanics and b) competitiveness.

If you played a boardgame and can't articulate anything that's actually relevant to it being a game (as opposed to a movie, book or storytelling activity) then you weren't really playing a game and I don't care for your opinions.
>>
>>52645748
So you're telling me you play boardgames for some "HIGHER THAN CAVEMAN PURPOSE"? Boardgame are just another form of play. People play boardgames because they're fun and social. Well, anyone who isn't so fargone they're a vapid elitist who can only care about mechanics
>>
>>52645792
People also tell stories, watch movies, play sports and drink beer because these are fun and social activities. If you played a game and can't actually articulate any game-related information, regurgitating instead generic shit that's common to any group activity then your ""opinion"" is irrelevant and you should fuck right off.
>>
File: 1491382319091.png (261KB, 1039x559px) Image search: [Google]
1491382319091.png
261KB, 1039x559px
>>52645860
Not even gonna bother
>>
>>52645916
> "I lost the argument, so here have a meme image response instead".
At least you had the human decency to not post an animu pic, that elevates you a bit above the garden-variety retard.
>>
File: 1485901535093.png (29KB, 240x245px) Image search: [Google]
1485901535093.png
29KB, 240x245px
>>52645937
I'm not arguing with you because you're one of the chucklefucks that even if I stood here and presented irrefutable evidence that games are played for fun and so can be linked to just being "fun" you'd still tell me "HURRR YOUR OPINION DOESNT MATTER". Watch, I bet you'll even fucking reply to this to try and goad me further because you have nothing better to do. Stinky.
>>
>>52645937
what he said made sense, you just needed to sperg out for some reason. he's saying if a majority of discussion he sees about a certain game is emotional rather than literal based he loses interest in it. take that to mean whatever you want about him as a person.

i actually agree with him. people generally gush over how games make them feel because the mechanics are not good enough to speak for themselves. no one ever talks about dead of winter's mechanics because they are shit. they talk about how the game makes them feel because that is where the value of the game lies.

this anon you were responding to does not prefer games that rely on making you feel a certain way rather than providing solid mechanics. it's the same "euro v ameritrash" conversation just reworded basically and you really shit yourself about it.
>>
I think i'm facing some sort of board game/card game burnout.
>>
>>52645970
>Using dead of winter as an example
That's a bad choice, yes the mechanics are trashy. Because they're designed in a way to evoke emotions, it's a game that focuses on making stories not point salads
>>
>>52645970
>this anon you were responding to does not prefer games that rely on making you feel a certain way rather than providing solid mechanics
It's not even that, of course a game that makes you feel ""fun"" is a valuable thing.

But it's a fact that people don't (willingly) play unfun games, so saying "I played such-and-such game and had fun" is nothing but empty attention whoring and contributes literally nothing to the conversation.
>>
>>52645997
that's my point. he's saying he uses internet discussions to figure out if a game is more of an emotional experience or a mechanical one. he apparently favors mechanical experiences. what he said in his first post was pretty true, you can learn a lot about a game by hearing how people talk about it. i honestly don't get why it caused some dude to get so defensive but whatever, I'm just saying he had a good point originally
>>
>>52646005
maybe. i think most people just don't think past "i had fun with it" and since they're not used to having super deep thoughts about games they assume their shallow thoughts are worth sharing. either way i agree with you tbqhfam
>>
So, any anon living in London here? No memeing please.
>>
>>52646006
It's an elitist point desu that didn't need to be made. It was basicly "your opinion is irrelevant if you talk about emotions and not mechanics"
>>
File: 1490416590787.jpg (46KB, 462x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490416590787.jpg
46KB, 462x500px
>>52646023
I live in South London and work in Central
>>
>>52646036
Got leads for a good board games shop? I'll be heading for London this weekend. I'm most particularly searching for a shop that sells chess-like minis par unit for custom games.
>>
>>52646026
he didn't say it was irrelevant, and it was clearly someone expressing an opinion and not trying to state a fact. his post literally begins "my personal test" and ends with a statement that includes "probably"

reading can be hard, but give it a try if you're going to interact with people online, friend
>>
>>52646049
You can try Dark Sphere but they're mostly wargames and cardgames. It depends what you mean by chess like
>>
>>52646049
by "per unit", I meant "separately".
I've made an Onitama board a while back but creating the pawns is not something I have either to time or the tools for so I figured I buy some but shops around here are useless when it comes to this.
>>
Redpill me on the new DOOM boardgame.
It seems pretty damn good if you like 1v4 type games, and it plays a bit like Gears of War

Great models as well
>>
>>52646090
It has balancing issues. Some of the scenarios are literally unplayable for the invader and noring for the marines. But the ones that work are quite decent. I would give It 6/10 for the rules themselves. And 8/10 when It Games to the components.
>>
>>52646430
Fuck my phone and autocorrection...
>>
>>52646439
How the fuck does you phone turn anything into "noring."
>>
>>52646069
Probably going to be easier to buy a cheap set and break it apart
>>
>>52644910

it scales perfectly. the benefit to 2 player is games will be shorter, the benefit to 4 player is you will "See" (but not personally play) more character classes in play. .

BUT with so many scenarios, and then the Ks campaign and community made stuff, youll get to see all of them in action 2 player too. And wit the shorter games you can have more double scenario sessions.
>>
>>52643930
Fury of Dracula is good, but it's not for everyone. The hunters do have an optimal opening strategy, which can be boring because it will always be the same until they find Dracula's trail. But after that it can be quite good so long as everyone is on the same skill level.

If people are into the theme I'd say it's currently the best hidden movement game. If they're not that concerned maybe look at Spectre Ops as a shorter option.
>>
>>52644691
I'll see what I can do. You can't Amazon it?
>>
File: pic2946138_lg.jpg (349KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
pic2946138_lg.jpg
349KB, 1024x575px
Millennium Blades is probably going to hit the table tonight. Incredibly excited because it rarely hits the table but when it does I have a blast. Hopefully my group will play more often so I can incorporate Set Rotation in too. Anyone else's thoughts on this gem?
>>
>>52648104
Everytime I play I collect the whole set of rubber ducky maid crusaders and then tank every tournament and come last

And yet I still have fun just collecting sets
>>
Now that it has been out a bit, what is everyone's opinion on imperial assault? Is it worth it or is it better to move on to newer systems or games like gloomhaven? Also, what are the opinions for the skirmish mode?

For the record, I don't care for the dice chucking and want my games to have meaningful decisions. Summoner wars is a good middle point for me.
>>
>>52648322

It's like the life of playing a real CCG!
>>
Board games are purely a scalper's market now. With games being produced solely on KS or in small amounts, people just buy out everything, jack up the prices somewhere like ebay, then we all either have to pay or wait a year for a fucking reprint (and sometimes none at all).

Lately, every single game I've tried to get is out of stock. Mint Works was on CSI for 1 fucking day before it sold out of over 20 copies at $8.50. One day. I didn't even have a wishlist of $100 yet because everything is always out of stock.

Next day I go on ebay and mysteriously, there are only copies at $18-24 and tons of them. It's almost like some scalpers shit all over us and jacked the prices as high as 300%.

I'm so sick of this dogshit. It happens every time a new game is released to the point that I don't even want to buy games anymore.
>>
>>52648876
Don't buy games to collect them, you dumbass.

The good ones are perpetually in print, and the meme hipster ones that people buy because they're "rare" aren't worth playing anyways.

(If you live in a foreign (not English or German) market and want localized games that's a different issue.)
>>
>>52648104
I WANT THIS FUCKING GAME
>>
>>52648940
I don't buy them to collect them, asshole. Right now as we speak, I'm looking forward to Concordia, Feast for Odin, Mint Works, and the expansion to Exodus. These aren't hurrdurrmemegames. They're really good games with high critical acclaim that I've personally tried on TTS and want to own.
>>
>>52646090
It's fast and killy and pretty damn fun if the scenario is vaguely balanced, but I'm a little let down by the tactical depth, that element doesn't compare well to the likes of L7: Omega Protocol.
>>
>>52649163
concordia is getting a reprint
>>
>>52649163
Like I said: if it's good then it will be in print perpetually. If it's out of print then it's probably not worth getting anyways.

(Yes, Concordia and Feast for Odin will be reprinted soon.)
>>
>>52649163
fairly sure they are fotm meme games dillweed
>>
>>52649439
Yeah its not like Concordia has been getting consistent praise for 3+ years its been out.
Oh wait...
>>
>>52649727
> "consistent praise"
> caring what idiot reviewers on the internet think
>>
File: Finished1edInvestigators.jpg (388KB, 800x1781px) Image search: [Google]
Finished1edInvestigators.jpg
388KB, 800x1781px
Finished all the investigators from Mansions of Madness 1st Edition.

Some of the faces are a bit off, and the focus isn't great on some of the photos, but I'm quite happy with how these ones have come out.

Only the 2nd Edition Investigators left to paint.
>>
File: header.jpg (48KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
48KB, 460x215px
>>52622395
i need recs for a deckbuilder /bgg/

2 players
medium weight
plays in 90 min or less

i'm playing ascension and i'm ok with it so far. how's his longevity? and how important are expansions for a deckbuilding game?
>>
>>52648322

Had a player do that the first time we played and won. Doesn't help that I forgot to distribute the second round of 6 cards at the 7 minute mark and thus had a severe synergy drought.

>>52649036

$53.95 ON AMAZON WITH FREE PRIME SHIPPING. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES unless money is an issue.
>>
File: pic1848490.jpg (667KB, 1000x712px) Image search: [Google]
pic1848490.jpg
667KB, 1000x712px
>>52649949
>>
>>52650047

Not the same guy but they won't ship to my country. And even then the weight of all the boxes is going to kill my wallet. RIP
>>
>>52649915
I could have sworn the goal post was around here a minute ago, some asshole must have moved it.
>>
>>52650601
Nothing moved. "Consistent praise" is just a nicer way of saying 'fotm meme game'.
>>
File: whiteknight milk.jpg (57KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
whiteknight milk.jpg
57KB, 576x768px
Any German bro here who can recommend some online shops for board games and such?

There's a fairly large list of them on boardgamegeek but I don't know which are got or not.
>>
>>52649399
Concordia has been out for 3 years. Feast for Odin won't stock for another year and it was recently released. See my ORIGINAL point:
>>52648876
>then we all either have to pay or wait a year for a fucking reprint

Your opinion about games that don't get reprints not being worth it is asinine. For example, Mint Works is a phenomenal micro worker placement. Will it get a reprint? Bitch it might not be. That shit was kickstarted by an individual with no investment capital. Regardless of how well it does, it's unlikely he'll have the capital from one wave of sales to fund an entire print. Not every great game is made by a huge corporation that can drop thousands on print costs.
>>
Is there a good monopoly game on PC?
>>
>>52651711
There isn't a good monpoly game anywhere.
Because monopoly isn't good, in case that wasn't clear.
But no, sorry, don't know anything about monopoly on PC.
>>
>>52651866
>Because monopoly isn't good, in case that wasn't clear.
Some of the spinoffs aren't atrocious, the Monopoly Deal card game is fine as a filler, and the Star Wars one that came out a year or two back isn't really Monopoly at all, but it's ok.
>>
>>52647209
Amazon wants 55 USD for shipping which is almost 2x the price of the game.
>>
>>52651902
>Star Wars one that came out a year or two back isn't really Monopoly at all, but it's ok
>isn't really Monopoly at all, but it's ok
>it's ok
>isn't really Monopoly at all

You know, there's a connection there but I just can't quite see it.
>>
>>52652400
Lemme rephrase then; it simplifies Monopoly so that kids can play it, just roll and move and collect properties, when they're all bought it's over. It's not the trading/cutthroat game that Monopoly was intended to be (a well played game should be under 30 minutes) and it's not the house ruled slog that everyone seems to waste hours on before going to do something else.
>>
>>52652471
>the trading/cutthroat game that Monopoly was intended to be
Uh, I don't even. In reality, Monopoly was intended to be a meme game that was supposed to annoy the players to tears to teach them the evils of capitalism, in a sort of bitter-medicine kind of way. True story. Monopoly was designed to suck on purpose.
>>
>>52652627
>game is designed to be cutthroat
>game designed to showcase how capitalism can be mean
Those aren't mutually exclusive anon, you're supposed to play it like a jerk landlord, make lopsided trades and take advantage of the other player to win. Just because it was some commie's morality tale doesn't mean it doesn't work as a very simple trading/economic game.
>>
>>52652716
this post is dumb and i won't explain why because anyone who's not retarded already knows why
>>
>>52629473
anything on this? I've seen some german publisher dude on bgg saying to wait till march then he said wait a few more weeks... pretty much what this anon said, anybody have some real info/ a link ?

side note, what you think of the game?
>>
>>52651401
>consistent praise over 3+ years = flavor of the month
>>
File: WEWLAD.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
WEWLAD.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>52654629
first post about praise was specifically referencing reviewers
>still not realizing that reviewers are only around to financially support the industry
>>
File: Monopoly = bad.jpg (2MB, 2765x1879px) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly = bad.jpg
2MB, 2765x1879px
>>52652627
>>
File: before-and-after-monopoly.png (180KB, 501x395px) Image search: [Google]
before-and-after-monopoly.png
180KB, 501x395px
>>52654930
>>
File: huhaho.jpg (90KB, 594x549px) Image search: [Google]
huhaho.jpg
90KB, 594x549px
>>52655077
>lefunny.net
>>
>>52649942
Looking really nice anon, wish I had the time and skill to do that.
>>
>>52655280
Well for what it's worth it only takes time to build those skills, you just have to go neet and you will learn to do better miniatires then him in no time.
>>
>>52654930
And the only people that can say a positive thing about something are reviewers, right?
>>
So who here is going to back the Grimm Forest?

What are your opinions on it?
>>
>>52656572

Inb4 shilling accusations
>>
File: 1491863367273.jpg (1MB, 2158x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1491863367273.jpg
1MB, 2158x3000px
How is Lost in R'lyeh? Especially when 3 players are concerned.

Looks like cards are nice and meaty, but the gameplay?
>>
File: pic2453926.jpg (637KB, 1200x1199px) Image search: [Google]
pic2453926.jpg
637KB, 1200x1199px
Is spyfall the best social deduction game? I am throwing a party soon which one should I get?
https://youtu.be/YFQuu_cS-Ko
>>
How's Pandemic Cthulhu? Should I go for it?
>>
>>52658356
Two Rooms and a Boom if you have enough players
>>
>>52658356
I almost put it into the filler category these days, because it's a game that we pull out, play for a round or two, don't bother keeping score and everyone gets bored/ready for a real game at about the same time. Wonderful palate cleanser
>>
File: 1491687134705.jpg (105KB, 634x795px) Image search: [Google]
1491687134705.jpg
105KB, 634x795px
Need info on that Cypher cyberpunk card game, is it any good or fundamentally flawed?
>>
Should I get Anachrony for $60? I like worker placement a lot and the theme seems awesome. I'm trying to decide between that an Scythe, although Scythe seems to be out of stock at anywhere cheaper.
>>
How is Feudum NOT on the top of everyone's most anticipated game list this year? Serious question.
>>
>>52659326
Because the most anticipated games for my year came out in 2015-2016, I don't buy until I've had a chance to play a game first, and the best chance to test a bunch of games is at cons, which means either getting very lucky at getting a slot to play, or going after last year's releases.
>>
Anyone mind giving me your opinion on Star Realms? It's caught my eye but I'm wondering about how the game plays and what it's strengths and weaknesses are
>>
>>52660834
Don't own the physical version, but played the digital on my phone dozens of times last year. It's a fun little deckbuilder, but there's definitely ideal strategies (based of course on what hits the trade row) and the fact it's trade row vs market style annoys some people since even if you play perfect, if the wrong cards come up on your turn and not on your opponents you can get housed.

I'd never buy multiple copies, just for the 4 or 6 player variants, and honestly I've played it so much that I dunno if I'll ever buy the physical copy (Galaxy Trucker has done the same thing, the app's too good and you get some burnout on it); but it's definitely great bang/buck. The base game being free digital (cross platform too) gives you a good chance to test it out.

Hero Realms is really looking promising to me, but I want to see how other people respond to it over time, and if it loses steam like Star Realms did. It's still a very nice system though, there's a few anons here who'll try to sell you on C'thulu Realms as a more involved version. It won't replace a heavier deckbuilding game, I'd never recommend you buy it over something like Trains, or Puzzle Strike, or as much as I don't enjoy it Dominion; but it has a place in collections as a lighter filler/2p duel.
>>
>>52658398
It's pretty good. It's a lot like Pandemic, but with more dynamics games due to added randomness. The tacked on theme actually feels pretty well integrated, and it goes on sale rather often. I would recommend it if the idea intrigues you. My only problem with it is that Eldritch Horror has really replaced it for me currently, but it only takes about 1~ hour to play compared to 4.
>>
>>52660834
Dominion is the only deckbuilding game with actual strategy, the rest of them just boil down to "draw le powerful card and win".
>>
>>52656273
why do you keep ignoring that the post was specifically talking about reviewers? learn to comprehend what you read
>>
>>52661619
I'd argue that as long as you have a marketplace instead of just a trade row they all have strategy. Trains definitely does
>>
>>52661670
i think thats probably what he meant, because that is definitely the case. its all about the marketplace v trade row
>>
What's your favorite game from 2016? What about 2017 so far?
>>
>>52660834
>>52660967
Following up on this for Cthulhu Realms, the main difference is that where Star Realms has mechanics that's tied to a faction (yellow is discard, red is trashing, etc.) and usually buying same color factions will trigger them more often, Cthulhu Realms has mechanics that fire off of mechanics in other factions as well, encouraging and rewarding you to spatter some other colours into your deck beyond just a single fire ability. Example: Purple has draw abilities, but to fire them you need discards, which is in yellow.

I would say Cthulhu Realms is better than Star Realms just for that, but the latter has more expansions, and I'm likely just burned out from playing the app. In fact unless you want to play the physical version with or against other people, the apps (which are free with being able to purchase additional content) pretty much invalidate any need to buy the physical game.

The physical game does let you do some house ruling though, such as flipping the top card of the deck face up to let you know what card is coming, so you can plan ahead. Mitigates the trade row problem pretty well I think.
>>
>>52661762
>>52661619
I find this not to be the case with Valley of Kings, though in that case because the deck is really two decks, the later one more powerful than the first. You can't really do stupid shit like getting the "draw two and acquire a card from the trade row no drawback lol" in the first five turns and running away.
>>
>>52662175
The fuck?
>>
>>52649165
Can we hear your run down of L7? Ty so much.
>>
>>52662019
true, valley of the kings does it in a unique way
>>
>>52659326
It's at the top of mine, anon. Can't wait for that one.
>>
What's the best way to do a lets play/instructional play? Blog with descriptions and pictures or a video? Figured I'd give it a go whilst playing another round of FT:Z
>>
>>52663541
Video with text descriptions explaining the rules as you play, then the exact same video explaining why you chose those specific actions.
>>
>>52663578
So one recording, audio deleted, made into two different videos. First one with instructional texts, explaining mechanics and such. The second with flavour and more "I'm doing X to set up Y hopefully resulting in Z" sort of texts.

Sounds right?
>>
>>52663595
Yeah.
Ten hours of work for a couple hundred views is what you're looking at unless you develop some schtick like Vasel or one of those other fucks.
>>
>>52663606
Not really after views, I just figured I'll bust out FT:Z again and make something of a game or two after a few anons in here showed interest in the game
>>
>>52622395
>the first game that got you to transition from those into hobby/niche board games
Steve Jackson's Illuminati
>>
So i want a coop game. Pandemjc always seemed like an obvious choice but for some reason ive never really been too jazzed bout it. It looks like it could be fun but then again it kinda doesnt. Any suggestions/opinions? /coop games in general/your favorites/feelings and thoughts for pandemic

By the way i have forbidden desertt, assault om doom rock, fuse, eldritch horror, defenders of the last stand and possibly more

On a side note im also interested in space alert but am worried it may be confusing/intimidating to my group
>>
>>52664286
>So i want a coop game
Kys.
>>
File: 1490402191727.png (520KB, 1046x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490402191727.png
520KB, 1046x1080px
>>52664450
I can't find that on BGG.
>>
>>52661630
Why do you keep assuming >>52649163 and >>52649727 are the same person
>>
So do people here sleeve their card games?
Normally I'll just pick up a couple of dragon shield or ultrapro packs at my lgs, but I recently got a few Legendary games and that doesn't quite cut it for 1,500 cards.
>>
>>52664892
Yea, once you start getting card heavy games it becomes problematic. It cost me $80 alone just to sleeve all the cards in one of my boardgames
>>
basicly got ordered it just because of the minis and the cool looks/fluff
those kickstarter boni are nice too
>>
>>52664892
>>52664900
>not buying the highest quality products to triple sleeve every card in your collection.
Step up, senpai
>>
>>52664450
zombicide is fun if you still dig the zombie apocalypse thing
i prefer the black plague theme though minis are nice too
>>
>>52664450
This is a nice post friend. Thank you for contributing to the high quality posts on /bgg/ :)
>>
>>52664995
wrong reply wanted to reply to him
>>52664286
>>
>>52664286
Space alert is probably the most unique co-op game ever made and has a bunch of tutorial missions too, try it
>>
>>52664528
Probably because Anon is hoping that they're not dealing with multiple idiots at the same time?
>>
>>52655280
Thanks man, my group are looking forward to using them

>>52656130
This is true, I'm pretty average at painting, all it takes is time.
>>
>>52661791
>What's your favorite game from 2016?

Martin Wallace's "The Arrival" - looking forward to playing a lot more of this.
>>
>>52665170
>Probably because Anon is hoping that they're not dealing with multiple idiots at the same time?
If everyone around you seems to be the idiot, then it's probably you who is the real one.
>>
File: tenor.gif (334KB, 498x354px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
334KB, 498x354px
>>52664450
>first google result of "kys bgg" is wil wheaton
>>
>Package with new games is out for delivery
Feels good man
>>
>>52664286
I like Space Cadets. It's a hassle to set up and tear down, and if your group is like mine in that only one person reads the rules it's awkward swapping out the position of Captain until people get familiar. It bypasses the "alpha gamer" problem as everyone has their own thing to do in their 30 seconds. The dynamic of all relying on each other to pull through really captures the spirit of coop games, imo.

Not pure coop, but Captain Sonar (team vs team) is also fun. Similar concept, but much more streamlined mechanics. Really shines at max playercount (8). I've definitely played it more than Space Cadets.
>>
>>52667270
I don't care about your feels, go kill yourself.
>>
>>52667432
Ladies first
>>
>>52667270
I have 5 games incoming myself, got them for under ~$20. I'm tempering my expectations since they're coming from Chinese resellers so I won't be too disappointed if they come with terrible card stock, horrendous packaging, etc., or if it's just the box with no content, but they were too cheap to not take a risk on.
>>
>>52667999
Link so I can see myself?

Report on the games and take pics!
>>
>>52668026
It's from an app called ezbuy, mostly bought language independent stuff like Rhino Hero and Cockroach Poker. I'll report back once they arrive, probably can't provide pics though.
>>
>>52665595
>If everyone around you seems to be the idiot, then it's probably you who is the real one.

Sorry, but once again as the other Anon pointed out, moving the goal posts just tells us your arguments are piss weak.

>>52665947
>>first google result of "kys bgg" is wil wheaton

That seems pretty damn appropriate...
>>
>>52668103
waiting for this
>>
Looking for podcasts to listen to, any recommendations?
>>
What's the best way to transition your bg group into a p&p group?

We already play Descent, is there a bg that's even closer to p&ps?
>>
File: Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg (238KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg
238KB, 1024x1024px
>>52670499
Pic related - D&D board games for example could be used as a gateway drug into TTRPGs.
>>
>>52670499
My group made the jump without any specific game driving it; the hurdles were getting them from pre-gen PFS type characters to making their own, and making it easy to accept the pnp open world by having minis/standees for everything, and good maps so it didn't require as good an imagination.
>>
File: IMG_8986.jpg (428KB, 1920x1301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8986.jpg
428KB, 1920x1301px
My copy of diplomacy just came in the mail, now all that's left is to paint the ships and tanks I had 3D printed because fuck those cardboard pieces
>>
>>52670742
you printed WAAAY more than you need.
>>
>>52670842
I know I did. I don't have a 3D printer so I had extras made so I'll have spares in case any of the pieces break or get lost.
>>
>>52670742
This game is fascinating to me but the 5-7 players needed is a turnoff
>>
>>52670906
It's a really fun game, a lot of options with so little mechanical rules.

>>52670900
Yeah, that's fair enough
>>
>>52670499
>What's the best way to transition your bg group into a p&p group?
Why in the fuck would you want that??
>>
File: Ready to be primed.jpg (162KB, 819x614px) Image search: [Google]
Ready to be primed.jpg
162KB, 819x614px
>>52670742
Cool! If you aren't going to go all fancy, you could simply use a light primer and spray paint them a solid color. You can make that easier to accomplish by using a long strip of masking tape sticky side up to hold the minis in place while priming / painting them.

>>52672406
Perhaps because he and his friends have imagination and aren't total autists who can't function without a clearly defined ruleset?
>>
>>52672624
That's actually a brilliant idea anon. All I'm wanting to do is paint them solid colors so you can tell which piece belongs to which player. I'm not concerned with highlights or shadows, just a plain, solid color. Is there a good primer and spray paint you recommend? And what about putting matte on top to keep the paint from chipping?
>>
>>52672624
> Perhaps because he and his friends have imagination and aren't total autists who can't function without a clearly defined ruleset?
Drama club for nerds? No fucking thanks. Read a book instead, faggot.
>>
>>52672815
I'm used to painting plastic minis like GW stuff for 40K. But Krylon makes a line of paints called 'Fusion' designed specifically for spray painting plastic. You might test it on a few of the extras and see if it adheres well to the surface of your printed models. If it does you probably won't even need a matte coat.
>>
>>52672906
> hangs on on /bgg/
> to "cool" for 'nerds' and their hobbies.

Pick one there Mr. Limp-wrist.
>>
>>52673067
You're a lifesaver. I was planning on painting all [spoilers]280[/spoilers] pieces by hand with a brush, no telling how long that would have taken
>>
>>52673321
Trying to spoiler text on your phone is more trouble than it's worth
>>
>>52658356

that would be cockroach poker
>>
>>52670568
I really want to get the castle Ravenloft game
>>
File: 20170411_222813 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_222813 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>52634583
So I've only gotten like 5-10 minutes at a clip to actually work on any projects not work/taxes related this week, which isn't all that disappointing. Tried testing out using a sponge to get the nebula paint effect down, but it was harder for me to work with and left a textured feel (which goes counter to my aiming for perfectly even/flat). Busted out the 2" brush again and grabbed a couple flat rate boxes to play around on, looks like I might need some glazing medium for the blue, it did not want to go on transparent, though it was also the first color I laid down so maybe it was just poor practice. Hopefully will get some time after work tomorrow to start on the actual mat.

Seriously though, if you're going to get into messy craft parts of this hobby go steal lots of flat rate boxes, they're wonderful as impromptu drop cloths and cutting mats.
>>
>>52676534
This looks really neat. I'm wanting to get started with x wing by doing the mario kart variant, what ships do you recommend getting first?
>>
>>52677326
Get a core set (or one of each) and then just buy whatever looks cool to you. The Mario Kart format is apparently best played at the 24pt ship limit, and small base only (according to those who've tested it) but honestly you can use any models you want as long as you proxy the rest. Just print out a copy of every ship's maneuver dial and laminate (or print out a lot of them at the office) and circle your movement each round if you need to proxy that. I've been just buying a ship every month or so, assuming I can get it half off through coupons or sales, and I proxy all the cards I don't have yet.

This particular map since it's a tight track and no turrets but the nebula causing ionization will likely require some rule changes to the format (no death through laser/ordinance but just lose a turn maybe) and I get the feeling the boost action will be even stronger here than on some of the battle reports I've seen.
>>
>>52677413
Awesome, thanks for the help!
>>
>>52673321
Glad to help - 280 by hand would have taken way to long. You'll have to post some shots if it works out.
>>
Can anyone vouch for Tiny Epic Western? Looking at the rules it seems like a surprisingly dense little romp but I'm hoping to get a second opinion.
>>
Are the mini expansions for Millennium Blades any good?
>>
>>52673102
Playing boardgames isn't a nerdy hobby.
>>
>>52663634
That would be me! It's currently out of stock but I'm getting it come hell or high water.
>>
>>52675360
You really don't. It's lifeless, there's not much going on there and turn 1 is the same as every turn you will ever play. The graphic design in the game is...how the fuck do I describe "lifeless corporate prototype with one color per piece" using less words? It definitely affects every minute of the experience.
>>
>>52679016
Also wondering this. Will make or break whether i get the game as to how crazy expandable it is.

Also is the actual play fun or is it just a novelty game? The tournaments looked really lame.
>>
>>52658398
Tell us what you want to know and I shall tell you.
The mechanics are just completely different, it's not just a stupid reskin or something like this. Cultists replace disease pawns but they don't spread to neighbouring locations in case too many gather on a single location.
Instead, the game works marvelously with randomness concerning the Elder One cards that have bad effects on the game. And if you're not careful about cultists or Shoggoth, those effects will add up and potentially end the game. All the while, you must take care of the reserves, as usual.
Oh and there's a die. This one too is dangerous but takes very little part in the decision-making system other that "I DON'T want to toss it".
>>
File: 1481111593220.jpg (57KB, 346x347px) Image search: [Google]
1481111593220.jpg
57KB, 346x347px
>>52679105
>Playing boardgames isn't a nerdy hobby.
>>
>>52679954
Playing boardgames is the only activity that literally all human beings participate in.

Mumbo-jumbos in deepest, darkest Africa aren't familiar with the concept of literacy and believe that photographs steal souls, but they still play boardgames. (And pretty decent ones by our modern standards.)

P.S. Only subhumans post animu reaction images. Stop stealing my valuable oxygen.
>>
File: 1460869173516.jpg (113KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1460869173516.jpg
113KB, 600x600px
>>52680095
Modern board games are more akin to nerdy shit with the recent explosion of minis and shit to paint, collect, all the expansions that you have to buy, the length of some games and considering how pricey the whole hobby end up being.

Also
>Touhou
>animu
Pic related.
>>
>>52680148
>with the recent explosion of minis and shit to paint, collect, all the expansions that you have to buy
None of that shit actually exists in real life. You're confusing internet memes with reality. Throw away your pissbottles and cumsocks and go get some fresh air.
>>
>>52680292
What the fuck are you talking about? Are you saying the contents of my towns' several shops dealing in board games lie? That all those boxes and plastic packagings that pile up to no end, that those shops called "Games Workshop" are only for show? How about those numerous kickstarters about games that get funded faster than light and most often than not if they have minis or Kickstarter exclusive bullshit?

It's become nerdy as fuck. It's the same shit as with vidya and games with DLC/expansions, additional external hardware, same games made with different skins, and the profusion of it to the point of having whole shops making a living out of this sole hobby.
There's a shop in my town with games so fucking everywhere that there's barely enough place to walk inside the already small place, and shit piles up pretty high too.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/684398802/bios-genesis-2nd-edition-begin-evolve-conquer
>>
>>52680346
>Are you saying the contents of my towns' several shops dealing in board games lie?
No, not a lie, but that shit is *maybe* 1% of the boardgaming industry, and that only if we're being very generous.

>It's become nerdy as fuck.
Like I said, get the fuck off the internet and get some fresh air, the meme marketing has warped your brain.
>>
>>52678996
I played it and it was...ok? I don't really remember much about it except that it was more complicated then I was expecting, and overall I preferred Tiny Epic Galaxies.
>>
>>52680463
The GG industry and actually playing the shit is different. Except for Chess, all the mass-produced shit in the US like Sorry and Life and Monopoly just languish in closets.
>>
>>52678996
Its fine for its size and price. I like the mashup of mechanics - meepleplecement, sett collection, dice duels, mini pocker combos all that. Some abilites of boses seem more usefull than others, sadly. For now Western - best out of all Tiny Epics. Galaxies are okaish, maybe will become better with expancion (but i already sold muh copy), rest of tiny epics are meh.
>>
>>52679016
Fusion Chaos is the best one. Then Final Bosses as the former adds two new characters and the latter adds a bunch of master packs.

Then if you want more promos gi for any of the other ones (I enjoy them because the promos in the base game suck)

>>52679584
It entirley depends on how you build the store deck, you can build it to essentially be a set collection point salad or something that revolves around high interactivity or other stuff. Anyone who says that the tournement feels like a formality has only played the reccomended store deck you should learn to play the game with.
>>
>>52680615
Catan sold several million copies. Agricola at least several hundred thousand. Meanwhile the your run-of-the-mill hobbyist action figure ameritrasher will sell 3000 copies if you're lucky. Have some perspective.
>>
Are there any 'reverse' hidden movement games that have one player control one or multiple figures on the board while the rest of the players are hidden?
>>
>>52680827
I think you and the other guy were having two different conversations, then, I took his point as including Catan and Agricola in the "nerdy" aspect of the market.
>>
>>52680859
>as including Catan and Agricola in the "nerdy" aspect of the market
Something that sells multiple million copies is not 'nerdy' by any measure.
>>
>>52670742
>>52670900
>notice image
>oh hey, it's Diplomacy
>why the hell he has two full bags of pieces
>3d printer

I really need to get one of those at some point.
>>
>>52680837
Not Alone messes with a lightweight form of this concept.
In my fantasy world, FFG losing the rights to Fury of Dracula results in them making either a Three Musketeers or Terminator retheme with the roles similarly reversed, calling it Fury of Richelieu or Fury of Schwarzenegger, naturally.
>>
>>52656572
Love the look, gameplay seems to simplistic for my taste
>>
>>52682773
>Fury of Richelieu or Fury of Schwarzenegger
I like this almost as much as hiring you to murder Herbert so I don't have to go about learning photoshop to create assets for my own pnp of Dune with the Rex fixes.

>>52680943
Sales don't necessarily negate nerd quotient, miniatures games (not minis board games but actual minis games) sell pretty big and are still a whole tier of grognard worse than your standard board gamer. X-wing's gotta be in the millions by now, and yes they're all friendly and some of them aren't autists, but you can't tell me those tourneys aren't filled with nerds.
>>
>>52683130
>X-wing's gotta be in the millions by now
You're off by two orders of magnitude. That shit doesn't sell anywhere except pockets of suburban USA, unlike normal boardgames which are a global phenomenon.
>>
>>52683319
I live in bumfuck nowhere Australia and x-wing is incredibly popular in my town, literally 3/4 of the people who come to the one game store we have still play it or have played it previously before moving onto newer games.

Also, it's fucking Star Wars. Where do you live where that isn't popular with normies right now?
>>
>>52683319
Starwars, is a global phenomenon.

I mean, its niche alright. It isn't a best seller for ever single shop I know or anything. Not something they push first thing you see as you walk into the shop or anything.
>>
>>52683438
>Australia
Not a real country, like Canada.

>>52683464
>Starwars, is a global phenomenon.
But spending $1000 on Star Wars toys isn't. (Especially when the typical family budget is in tight competition for Star War Lego.)
>>
>>52683319
They've got what 65 different units for sale (between core boxes, expansions, playmats, dice sets, various cosmetic stuff), that'd require, like 15.5k sold per unit to break 1 million. Obviously they haven't sold that many mats, or dice sets, but lots of their products sell out almost immediately after release, and you gotta imagine a print run is over 5,000 since it's cheap Chinese plastic.

Then consider adding all the 3rd party stuff that gets made. Templates, tokens, organizers, etc are a whole 'nother market on top of it; plus consider how many people attend $5 tourney nights weekly/bi-weekly. Those amount to more units moved every week as prizes that the stores write off, and promo packs.....

If X-wing hasn't sold 1 million products (not core boxes alone) FFG is doing something seriously wrong, because it's the product that's giving them the most revenue atm.
>>
>>52683512
Well, if you start counting 'units' then you might as well count each individual MtG card as a unit, that makes MtG a bestseller with hundreds of millions of 'units' sold, lol.
>>
>>52683566
If you think FFG/ANA isn't counting each individual TIE fighter sold, and dice pack as a unit then you're retarded; and comparing sealed retail packages to single MtG cards makes you look silly. I said miniatures games sell big, X-wing is currently the largest, but do you think Warhammer hasn't sold millions of models? Would you say Games Workshop hasn't sold a million copies of their game just because it's split between different shapes of plastic?
>>
>>52683505
>it doesn't sell in other countries!
>b-but that country doesn't count!
Careful with those goal posts anon, they're almost over the horizon.
>>
>>52683631
I don't care how and what FFG sells. My point is that something like Agricola has wider mindshare than any miniatures game by any metric you choose to name.

And Agricola is a niche boardgame compared to the real hits.
>>
>>52682033
It's on my list of things to buy whenever I get out of graduate school and start earning an actual paycheck
>>
File: 1-CMC.jpg (795KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1-CMC.jpg
795KB, 3072x2304px
>>52682773
Not Alone looks interesting, but it's not exactly what I had in mind. The theme of the game is surprisingly close though.

What I had in mind was a mix of The Great Museum Caper and Dead by Daylight, where the hidden players have to complete tasks and then find an escape route, while the visible player as the monster tries to find them, cause them to become visible on the board and hunt them down.
>>
>>52683670
Agricola prolly does have more units sold, though I would argue it's awareness to the general public worldwide is approaching even. My point was units sold doesn't make a game not nerdy, Agricola still qualifies as "nerd" tier to a vast % of the population, which fits with you saying it's niche compared to real hits.

The issue is tho that real hits, like say Catan or TtR are still in that hazy space where some of the population knows them, but you'll find a larger % that says "I've heard that name before but don't know anything about it, what is it?" The only "hobby/modern" board game out there that's had serious market penetration is CAH. I love the hobby but it's still quite nerdy and fringe, though it is growing very fast.

I'm also enjoying the meta humor of debating nerdiness of games, discussing metrics and sales figures, but sadly gotta get back to work.
>>
>>52683970
>The only "hobby/modern" board game out there that's had serious market penetration is CAH.
CAH is something that only exists in the USA and its closest sattelites. Its global market penetration is zero. (This is easy to verify, just open a game's page on BGG and see how long the list of publishers is.)

And how can you say that Catan and TtR aren't "modern" boardgames??
>>
>>52680377
>roll dice for survival
You had ONE JOB

Natural selection is based on environment, not chance. It's only the single most important aspect of the entire process.
>>
>>52683910
>What I had in mind was a mix of The Great Museum Caper and Dead by Daylight, where the hidden players have to complete tasks and then find an escape route, while the visible player as the monster tries to find them, cause them to become visible on the board and hunt them down.

The only one I can think of along those lines in recent memory is Specter Ops - and that has 1 hidden player attempting to hide from 1 or more 'hunter' players.
>>
>>52684683
He's looking for that but with the numbers reversed, many hiding players and one hunter.
>>
>>52684167
>And how can you say that Catan and TtR aren't "modern" boardgames??

Because Catan for one is 20+ years old and has rather dated 'RNG' (random number generation) mechanics that aren't very good. I.e. "I make a plan that's good, and then *hope* the dice roll results don't screw me over and there is little or nothing I can do to mitigate that situation if the dice do screw me over." Which sums up a lot of what is wrong with Catan.
>>
>>52683970
>The only "hobby/modern" board game out there that's had serious market penetration is CAH.

Did you sleep through the entire 'Exploding Kittens' Kickstarter? It's not a good game, but it's well known among the non-board gaming hobbyists out there.
>>
>>52684167
No they're definitely modern games, but again I'm saying they don't have the market penetration. TtR has sold over 3 million? And Catan is like what 5-8? That's still huge numbers, but I'm arguing the population at large is still only aware they exist, not what they are. Board games are nerdy, and they're moving into the mainstream, but we're not there yet, and those two have had 22 and 13 years to build up a name for themselves, but still aren't "mainstream".

>>52684771
>Did you sleep through the entire 'Exploding Kittens' Kickstarter
No, my sister-in-law got it after the fact at Target, I must've blocked it from my memory after having to play that awful UNO clone.
>>
>>52648556
I know I'm late as fuck but I got Imperial Assault for Christmas, it hasn't hit the table too many times but the few times it did, my little group enjoyed it. Only thing is at some points instructions can be a little unclear, specifically one of my friends still finds the officer's order a little weird, but in time should be fun. Also I have yet to actually play skirmish.
>>
>>52684683
Thanks for the recommendation. Even if there isn't one exactly like I want, I can settle for something close to it for now.

I'll look up the rules and see if it's possible to modify it to allow for 1 hunter vs several hidden players rounds.

The other choice would be to create a game myself. I have enough ideas for it and some spare time as well. The biggest problem would be refining the rules once I have the basics and getting motivated enough to create the material (board, markers, ect.) to move the game past concept stage. With this I'd have concepts for 3 games and 2 fighting systems (that don't rely on dice) floating around.
>>
File: v related.png (6MB, 1256x3660px) Image search: [Google]
v related.png
6MB, 1256x3660px
bumping with classic Minifig
>>
File: 1458580925538.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
1458580925538.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52688039
post more charts. Other than pic related
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52689052
Fine, as long as you save the current version, it hurts my autism that no one ever posts the most recent edit I did on it
>>
File: kids v2.png (2MB, 1570x1534px) Image search: [Google]
kids v2.png
2MB, 1570x1534px
>>52689269
Still needs some edits/fixes
>>
File: co related.png (5MB, 1044x3260px) Image search: [Google]
co related.png
5MB, 1044x3260px
>>52689292
More Minifig classics
>>
File: reco.png (2MB, 2016x899px) Image search: [Google]
reco.png
2MB, 2016x899px
>>52689292
Last one I've got saved anymore, it's gotta be from like 5-7 years back, because I remember seeing this posted when I first starting lurking in /bgg/
>>
File: pic227687.jpg (603KB, 1897x1269px) Image search: [Google]
pic227687.jpg
603KB, 1897x1269px
I played battle ball recently, having bought it when i was a kid and never really played it. I read one of the players bios, which mentioned he was from the enclave of the bear. This happens to be one of the factions in my groups other favorite game, risk legacy.

Has anyone else noticed stuff like this in games?
>>
>>52689350
I'm sorry but Terra Mystica needs to be removed from that list. 80% of your meaningful decision-making is during setup, then the game that plays out is basically just a movie unless you or your friends are completely retarded.
>>
>>52670928
Diplomacy feels like is was desined to be an online async game well before that would have been possible.
>>
>>52689937
As I said it's old oc some other anon made up; it's pretty dated in a couple ways, and not posted much anymore except to bump threads. I've debated doing more targeted rec oc, but aside from 2p intro and kids, there hasn't been a request for recs on any particular topic so I dunno what people would like to see.

Plus I'm gonna spend any free minute I have this weekend on that nebula map, been overbooked on work this week and really wanted to have it done already.
>>
>>52690285
It was considerably well played as "play by post" in which 7 people would literally mail their moves to a central guy, who would update them all. All communicating with each other by post.

Actual nonsense desu
>>
Thoughts on the Dark Souls Board Game?

Didn't have the money to back it last year, but found the LGS I work at can get it in so I ordered myself a copy.

Pretty hyped!
>>
>>52689269
why did you drop Escape the curse of the temple?
>>
>>52690501
Added/re-arranged categories, it's under dice chuckers now. I'm not gonna update it again for another couple months, since it lasted a year between the last two revisions, but STEEV was dead on about Stronghold, that's likely going on at some point in place of Mage Wars
>>
>>52690370
Same, I was poor as shit last year. I've heard from players that the monster AI was the only interesting part of the game and the rest is super boring. I'm just hoping it's not another Kingdom Death where the only interesting thing is the monster AI.
>>
>>52683910
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space can kind of be that, although there's usually more than one alien hunting the others down.
>>
>>52690370
>>52690656
It takes three hours to get to the boss and three hours to beat it.
It is probably the least dense game I've ever heard of, except maybe rock-paper-scissors by mail.
>>
>>52689937
>80% of your meaningful decision-making is during setup, then the game that plays out is basically just a movie unless you or your friends are completely retarded.
Is this true? I've had my eye on this game but if this is what happens then I don't think I can justify buying it.
>>
>>52692130
>>52690656
That's a shame.

Oh well, if its bad, I would still love to have and paint the minis.
>>
i was looking for some kind of wargame based oon tiles, something like a dungeon crawler, but more like 1v1,or even 2 v2 would be good, just that it is based on a team vs team rather then heroes vs monsters. Do you have any suggestions? Ihave no idea how to look for such a thing.
>>
>>52692130
It's true. Starting placement is actually the number one make-or-break decision in the game. The second is what faction you pick (they're HORRIBLY unbalanced). After that, you just make the most optimal move every turn for your particular game. You can actually solve the game for all players the moment the game is set up. And since you have to calculate your optimal move every turn anyway, you might as well do it all at once. Game is 80% downtime.

http://terra.snellman.net/stats/
>>
Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness v2?

Mostly for solo play, but will probably do some 2s with my girlfriend and buddy eventually.
>>
>>52626043
I love scrabble but watching people struggle with it and get massive AP is not fun. Seriously great game ruined by people who think the game is proving them dumb for losing
>>
>>52689350
War games needs to be broken down into multiple categories, like the others.

By either components (hex, blocks, CDG), scope (tactical, operational, strategic), or some other metric like light, medium, heavy, grognard.
>>
>>52629181
>>game from your youth
>Carcassonne
>Year Published: 2000

4chan is an 18+ website
>>
>>52693378
He could have been like ten when it released yaknow.
>>
>>52693378
Yeah I'm sure he had fond memories of lining up to pick up his preorder at midnight at the age of 1.
>>
>>52684304
Nothing is based on chance, dice are just used for factors that are beyond the control of the player microorganisms
>>
>>52680837
Nuns on the Run
Escape from Colditz
Escape from the Aliens from Outer Space might interest you but it's team vs team
>>
>>52693352
Seeing Kemet—an area-control drafting game, as "war game" made me lose my shit.
>>
>>52693504
You are a humongous faggot. Not only do you already know that dice are effectively random in human hands, you should also know that quantum spin is 100% provably random.
>>
>>52693517
>Nuns on the Run
Is this any good? I'm looking for a light hidden movement game since I think my group would like that sort of thing, and I liked the sound of it, but it's not rated amazingly on BGG. For whatever that's worth.
>>
>>52693588
Kemet has no drafting.
It's a "wargame" because that's become the term for a game which hybridizes Euro and Ameritrash design principles.
>>
>>52693639
Right, there's no giant open draft of 48 tiles. That was just my imagination.
>>
>>52693639
Literally nothing you said was correct or even made sense.
>>
>>52693686
Nevermind I forgot draft isn't just passing cards around like 7 Wonders.
I sometimes think about how to improve Blood Rage and realize that a great Blood Rage is just Kemet.
>>
>>52693697
I was mistaken on the first part, but the latter is true. Look up a list of "wargames" on BGG, remove the actual wargames, what's left is all Euro/trash hybrids.
>>
>>52693711
Ahhh, what an apocalyptic time to be alive.
>>
>>52693726
Language changes, dude.
>>
>>52693745
I love how this phrase is only ever uttered after a word has become less meaningful, or culture has now lost an important distinction or nuance.
>>
>>52693795
>after a word has become less meaningful
If it were something like "literally" now meaning two contradictory things I'd agree, but this is just a word pulling double-duty, like how "duty" can mean both "responsibility" and "tax."
>>
>>52693352
Yeah I'm not editing that pic, it's not mine and it's ancient to boot; I keep it around because it's I don't clean out my img folders often and if nothing else it's a good metric of how /bgg/ has changed in the years I've been here.
>>
>>52693297
Do you want a globe trotting spooky adventure feel or a more personal spooky house feel?
>>
>>52689269
I appriciate the change of the header to non gender specific, however at the bottom right it still says "she" instead of "they"
>>
>>52689292
When you redo this one consider adding Mole Rats in Space (made by the same designer that did pandemic etc)
>>
>>52694880
I changed the header because there was non-stop autistic complaints, most people don't bother to read all the text; but in 6 months (or maybe after Gencon) when it comes around I'll consider changing it. I had edited >>52689052
like 4 times the same day to fix typos/little things and still missed the one on Flick em Up but didn't bother fixing it for 6 months. The whole pic came about because I was tired of retyping the same basic pasta for late 2015 when anons came in asking about casual gfs, and I used what worked in my life.

>>52694924
Noted, it's never been "finished" but I haven't gotten a lot of gaming with the younger crowd in lately. Might work on it a bit in a week or two once I get a Friday off again.

Also new thread before I go crash
>>52694931
>>52694931
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.