[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Good Political RPG Systems?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: roman-senate.jpg (38KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
roman-senate.jpg
38KB, 400x289px
Hey /tg/, my group and I usually play D&D campaigns in pretty much a traditional way — fantasy setting, combat heavy. The thing is, it's been a while since I crave something more focused on politics and intrigues (the politics of ancient rome, medieval courts etc.), but I don't feel like D&D is a good system for that. I have some experience in WoD (especially vampire) but I get the feeling that the mechanics are a wee bit crude and simplified — even though the settings are generally quite political. So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good RPG system that has interesting social and political mechanics. I've read somewhere that aSoIaF is a good system in this regard, but I've never read or played it. Can you give me some adivice?

TL:DR Any good political RPG systems in regards to mechanics? (I don't care about settings or world building, since I'll be creating my own)
>>
You could try Burning Wheel. It has nice mechanics like Duel of the Wits and such.
>>
>>52681559
Song of Ice and Fire RPG
>>
Hillfolk.
>>
>>52682086
I've just stumbled onto Burning Wheel a few hours ago. Watching a few videos to get a feeling of how it works.
>>
File: GRR2708_450_large.jpg (41KB, 370x480px) Image search: [Google]
GRR2708_450_large.jpg
41KB, 370x480px
A Song of Ice and Fire rpg might be worth looking at.
>>
>>52682955
He said "good". ASOIAF RPG is notoriously broken.
>>
>>52681559
>Any good political RPG systems in regards to mechanics? (I don't care about settings or world building, since I'll be creating my own)

I've heard L5R is pretty good for this. Also the setting is supposed to be pretty cool too.
>>
>>52681559
Not much since the Cicero RPG went belly up back in 1998.
>>
>>52684665
Link?
>>
>>52684290
It's pretty mediocre, desu

Way too narrow focus, instead of focusing on big kingdom shit like trade and diplomacy it's all shitty D&D-lite skills like wilderness survival and perception

>>52681559

What you want, OP, is Pendragon. It's a game about lineage, about dynasty, about making a lasting mark in the world.
>>
>>52684386
I'd throw my hat in with this suggestion, I had a lot of fun just during character creation, and discovering how the game works, but if weebshit isn't really your thing, you could spend a bit of time and refluff everything.
>>
>>52682086
I would also recommend Burning Wheel. Like politicians, characters in the system are driven by beliefs and instincts directly. The book is a horrible mess of a document to drudge through, but the mechanics burred in it are really sound.
>>
>>52683586
Shit, someone who played hillfolk? How was it? Looks neat but haven't had a chance to run it with my group. They liked A Quiet Year and Microscope, but hillfolk seems more mechanically focused (comparatively). Anything work really well, not work, etc?
>>
>>52681559
If you don't mind scifi and anarchism, try Eclipse Phase. It's got a lot of politicking and can pretty easily be a spy game if you avoid focusing on the technoeldritch horrorterrors.
I recall Greg Stolze's Reign had an option for a faction "character sheet" and factions could clash with one another in assorted ways.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.