[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open D6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: D6cover.jpg (29KB, 200x257px) Image search: [Google]
D6cover.jpg
29KB, 200x257px
Whenever I hear people talking about D6, it's always about how shit it is, and hoe the skill system doesn't work. Can somebody give me a quick runthrough on the pros and flaws of D6? The system seems to be a slightly lighter GURPS more than anything
>>
I'm not too well-versed in it, but it seems a lot of the flaws stem from the difference in averages between two different die codes, resulting in things like the blaster-proof Wookie in the Star Wars games, though I hear using the static combat from Mini Six alleviates it some.
>>
>>52680793
>pros
uses a d6
>flaws
uses a d6
>>
system must use a non-euclidian 47-sided die that manages a bell curve in shape of Kanna Kamui's ass or it's absolute shiiit
>>
>>52682397
>I'm not too well-versed in it, but it seems a lot of the flaws stem from the difference in averages between two different die codes, resulting in things like the blaster-proof Wookie in the Star Wars games, though I hear using the static combat from Mini Six alleviates it some.
Misconception.

You never actually get powerful enough to do this. It is prohobitively expensive in terms of EXP, AND a huge risk, to increase Strength (Your soaking Attribute) above your race maximum.

A wookie can get to 5d without much issue... in a game where proper blasters easily do 5d as well. Going above that is horrifically expensive (Costing 50 exp to ATTEMPT the increase, losing it if you fail on a 5d vs 5d+1, only getting worse the more you attempt to push it).

I do like d6. It adds a very powerful progression - A guy with 3d6 will struggle to do a moderate difficulty check. A guy with 6d6, will do it on a regular basis, no sweat.

It makes it so that skill really matters.

Better yet, it also gives you a lot of customization options, as you can easily make yourself as focused as you want. D&D, by comparison, is very narrow in how you build your character, especially the newest version.

The issue, is that it is a general system. So D&D, a system tailored to a specific type of world, *feels* better. This also applies to systems like Dark Heresy, and Shadowrun - Having a system built specifically to accomodate a setting, means the rules generally just fits the game better. Using d6, you often have to think of how to properly utilize the system to represent the world you are trying to make.

It is generic, which is both good and bad. The good thing is, that it is so easily to mod to your desire. The bad thing is, that it is practically necessary.
>>
>>52682675
This guy gets it
>>
>>52682675
Wasn't the problem that the 5D wookie could get +1D armor and be difficult to take down with a 5D blaster (though as I type this, it seems that that'd only increase the odds a little bit.)
>>
>>52683292
That's not a problem.

The only "problem" was people thinking you used Stamina, a much cheaper skill, was used to soaking. This allowed a cheap way to soak with like 8 dice, which was stupid, and done by people who didn't know how the system worked.

Even 5d isn't completely stupid for a Wookie, which has several stats it can't raise higher than 3d. And it doesn't make you even remotely unkillable, just more tough.
>>
Reposting shit from another thread

EABA fixes the D6 scaling issue with a Best of Three approach. No matter how many dice you roll, you only keep the best three results. This flattens the results nicely. Someone rolling 7d6 is still more likely to beat someone rolling 6d6, but the margins are MUCH smaller.
>>
>>52686472
On minisixi:

Game does have darkness penalties under cover, oops. Bad editing.

Let's look at how this game handles a starting character against something challenging, like an ogre.

We make an elf. We have 3d Might and 5d Agility (which leaves us four attribute dice that we don't care about), Bow 2d, Dodge 2d, and Running 3d. We have 7d+1 to shoot things, 7d to dodge/Dodge 21, and we do 5d+2 damage with our bow. When things get hairy, we have 8d running, which gives us an average of 28 extra feet, or 56 with a full round of running, meaning we can cover 15 to 86 feet in a turn.

Ogre: If I'm reading the scale rules right, the ogre gets +2d to their damage, and we get +2d to our dodge and ability to hit them. So, he's going to be attacking with an axe at 6d, doing 7d damage if he hits us. He parries at 18, and has a soak of 14 with armor. The Ogre has Agility 1d+1, meaning they can run an average of 5 extra feet, which means they can cover 15 to 35 feet a turn.

Short range with our bow is 30 feet, so let's assume we start there. We roll Agility to see who goes first (Ogre's 1d+1 vs. our 7d - we win every time). Vs. the static Parry 18, we hit 99% of the time, or we can attack twice and hit twice nearly 98% of the time. Against a rolled defense, our chances are 94% and 77%, respectively. When we hit, we're going to do enough damage to stun them 90% of the time (-1d penalty until the end of the next round) and wound them 70% of the time (-1d until healed). Wounding them twice (53% chance) gives -2d.

Then, when the ogre tries to attack us after we've wounded him once, he runs 30 feet and rolls Axe/4d, hitting us 9% of the time with static defenses, or 7% with our Dodge/7d. If the ogre actually manages to hit, he incapacitates us 80% of the time with a static soak value of 9, or 65% of the time if we roll Might to resist.

Ogres are 4/5 star difficulty, according to the game, yet a starting character can destroy them with little fear of retaliation. Trash.
>>
>>52680793
Pros
It is really fast once you start
you really notice skill difference
Cons
Shit magic system
>>
>>52684325
Agreed, 14 year old me had the problem. 40 year old me thinks OpenD6 might be the best Open-License system out there.
>>
>>52686489
One thing I didn't like about MiniSix is the wound chart. It's non-linear and you have a) too many wound levels, b) one wound level is even there twice.
>>
>>52687535
it haves the same wound levels as in D6 system

if your wound level says -1D do you have to lower your defenses 1D too?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.