[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 391
Thread images: 26

File: Merrow.png (2MB, 1500x2192px) Image search: [Google]
Merrow.png
2MB, 1500x2192px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>52674536
>>
File: 1491530398199.jpg (209KB, 743x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491530398199.jpg
209KB, 743x1000px
>>
File: super_huge.jpg (88KB, 900x672px) Image search: [Google]
super_huge.jpg
88KB, 900x672px
Friendly reminder that beta casters should leave damage dealing to the martials
>>
As a Crossbow fighter PC am I even allowed to target specific parts of an opponent's body?
>I want to shoot his calf, use action surge then shoot his other calf to stop him from getting any closer to me
My homebrew states that at lvl7 I can target specific parts of an opponent's body to shoot at but can I do it earlier, just with disadvantage?
>>
>>52679879
>My homebrew
We cannot help you
>>
How much does it unbalance the game if you let a Barbarian use Rage damage and Reckless Attack with Dexterity?

Is the loss of GWM and Greatsword damage enough to stop it being broken?
>>
Is the priest of an evil god much different than a warlock beholden to the same god? How about a warlock and priest of a good god?
>>
>>52679869
I recognize that bulge.
>>
>>52679927

I feel like a priest truly believes and supports the god, but warlocks just make deals and contracts regardless of personal opinion. A warlock can fucking hate the thing it has a pact with, but might put up with it just to get that sweet Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>52679927
warlocks are not evil, nor are they similar to priests
>>
>>52679894
Ok but as a DM would you allow any kind of fighter to make an attack against a specific part of an opponent's body if they take the attack with disadvantage?
>I want to fire at a casters hands to stop them from casting anything or even shoot at their mouth to stop them from casting anything.
>>
>>52679972
That's what he is asking you mong
>>
>>52679927
A priest prays to an evil god and carries out his will not out of direct influence but out of sheer belief.

A warlock whose patron is an evil god made a binding contract with that being directly, carrying out the evil god's will and gaining secret knowledge of magic in return.
>>
>>52680022
No. The ability to make an attack at all represents your ability to fight through combat conditions enough to potentially score a lethal blow, it doesn't mean that you can "i stab him in the eye" every round forever.
>>
How are the UA mass combat rules? How do you run mass combat?
>>
Does anyone have a pdf copy of Grimtooth's Ultimate Traps Collection?
>>
Are mystics over or underpowered? What mystic disciplines would you ban, if any?
>>
>>52680288
They are over-versatile, and competitive in combat with full casters up until 5th level spells. Their damage is fairly average for casters, and generally below martials. At lower levels, their extreme versatility options may make them showstealers, but it won't be permanent, and their best utility options are generally the least efficient combat options. They are probably most similar overall to bards in play, but aren't really as good as them at anything both choose to specialize in.
>>
>>52680028
>Is the priest of an evil god much different than a warlock beholden to the same god?
they are not similar, so they are very different.
>How about a warlock and priest of a good god?
Since Warlocks aren't inherently evil, the comparison between evil and good priests and warlocks is irrelevant.
>>
>>52680288
They are generally overpowered through sheer versatility. Cut down the number of disciplines they can learn and adjust a few specific disciplines and they'll be fine. Nomadic mind's psychic focus in particular is pretty extreme.
>>
>>52680331
Nomadic Mind is also entirely awful other than it's focus. Hey you can use a bonus action to become proficient in whatever you need! Oh, and you can spend pp for them too, because you always want to use a resource for no reason.

Find creature has its uses, but is super niche, and taking an hour and using the equivalent of a level 2 spell for identify is fucking garbage.

The eye's are ok, but really pp inefficient.
>>
>>52680288
Overpowered at first and weaker later on.

I think a fair few of the Nomad disciplines need some changing and most need to be tweaked a little. I also think they should cut down the number of them you get a little bit and put some restrictions on having to take some that belong to your Order.

Also add some Soul Knife ones that let you form different weapons with your focus. A 2d6 two-hander, one that can be thrown, one with reach and etc.
>>
Got a question about a recent AL session with respect to personality and such.
>Regular DM is doing hardcover stuff now
>One of my buddies has to DM because 2 vacationers wanted to join for only 2 sessions before heading back home (south africa).
>Shrug and join buddy because he painted my mini and figure it's expressing appreciation by NOT saying "welp, too bad for you."
>Table is pretty diverse class-wise
>Played the adventure my buddy chose, only meta-gamed once in a specific situation where I knew what would happen and wanted to trigger it for shits and giggles KNOWING nobody was gonna die and we'd have fun regardless.
>Only instance of impacting anything, proceed as quiet/seldom joking guy without being disruptive
>Get through things fine enough, even have my character (he had done the adventure before and was l4) not know the answer to the puzzle while dropping a subtle hint as to what it should be.
>Next half of session, we go to the next part
>Spend time checking book and making sure everything is in order with my character/so I'm not impactint anything.
>Buddy doesn't seem to mind and even manages to mostly disregard me
>At one point, we encounter a trap I know how to deal with
>Instead, have character behave as though this is the first time
>Guy beside me is telling the player whose character is nearest the trap to do things like "cover it" or "break it".
>Kindly tell him not to meta-game
>"How is that meta-gaming?"
>Explain to him that taking ooc knowledge and relaying/using it ic is meta-gaming
>Not his turn and he made no indication that he was saying as much ic. Hell, his character didn't even have line of sight and no prior knowledge of the trap
>"I say it ic, then"
>Just mentally sigh and carry on
>Prior, the rogue (same guy I think) wanted to perform a sneak attack on an alerted enemy and claimed that because he was behind myself and another with a limited LoS, he could
>DM allowed it due to inexperience as a DM
Am I THAT guy?
>>
>>52680419
In 5e you can sneak attack once per turn if you have advantage on the attack or if there's an ally next to the enemy (and you don't have disadvantage).

If he's a lightfoot halfling and he's behind an ally, he can also use his action or bonus action to try to hide.
>>
I'm trying to figure out how to make an Elvish Wardancer. My first thought was a Dexbarian but that doesn't really do that kind of things I'd like.
Right now I'm thinking a Duelist Ranger but at that point there's no reason to not use a shield and medium armour. Are there any martial characters who are good with weapons, dexterity and either light or no armour?
>>
>>52680557
Redemption Paladin? Kensei?
>>
I want to connect my aberrations to echoes of a greater being trying to pry it's way into our world. Elder Brains are it's brain/thought, Beholders are it's eyes/sight, Gibbering Mouthers is it's mouth/taste. What would work for hands/touch, it's ears/hearing, and it's nose/smell?
>>
>>52680557
>elvish wardancer
>dex, light armour
Literally Bladedancer
>>
>>52680581
Oh, forgot about the Kensai and that'd work perfectly. Might ask if I can refluff my bonus action attack as dual-wielding and go with that, thanks.
>>
>>52680622
I'm going for a Wood Elf Wardancer, so no or only a little bit of magic. Not really Wizard material.
>>
File: Rock Gnome by Oleg Denysenko .jpg (97KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
Rock Gnome by Oleg Denysenko .jpg
97KB, 400x579px
This is how you make Rock Gnomes cool.
>>
>>52680487
He might have been a halfling. All I recall is the party being surrounded and him and the creature having partial LoS on each other. Granted, the creature was distracted, so I might be lawyering a bit. I didn't say anything more because it wasn't going to matter, regardless. What got me was
>He's something like a level 2-4
>Hand crossbow that deals 3d6
>Partial LoS because myself and another dude are standing between him and the creature almost completely
>DM even says he's uncertain given the LoS seems too narrow
>Prior to this, there were 6 creatures, all alerted to the party
I think I'm trying more to justify lawyering a bit more than actually presenting a credible argument at this point.
>>
>>52680331
>Nomadic mind's psychic focus in particular is pretty extreme.
It's jack of all trades. Slower, but stronger. Maybe it should just BE jack of all trades. It's hardly extreme.
>>
>>52680320
Mystic Arcaneum
>>
>>52680626
If you don't want a greatsword, then any monk.
>>
>>52679790
That image looks cool and got me thinking. I'm planning a short campaign that will involve a water encounter or two. What are some good aquatic monsters I can throw at a level 1 or 2 group that will be moderately prepared?
>>
>>52680828
So two-handed weapons are basically better because GWM? I guess I can just make it a huge two-handed scimitar or a double sided one and roll with that.
>>
>>52680645
The rules cover this situation. Creatures provide 1/2 cover. Unless you're a Gelatinous Cube, you don't occupy every cubic cube of your grid square and do not block line of sight.
>>
>>52680640
Rogue with dip in bladesinger?
>>
>>52679790
>>52680439
>>>52674536 (OP)
>In 3.x, around level 5 is when characters can generally match real world experts in their capabilities/skills.
>At what point does that happen in 5e? At what level does my athletics match Olympic performance? Etc.
>>
Is there a Tanky class that can do more than barbarian. I'm afraid my Barb isn't having any fun in combat
>>
>>52680891
Paladin, Battlemaster (and some other UA archetypes) fighter, Stone Sorcerer
>>
>>52680852
two-handed weapons are better because no weapon you use in one hand is going to be better than the spear or quarterstaff a monk can already use. You might prefer kensei's abilities, but you could pick any monk path.
>>
>>52680891
Define do more.

More damage? more out of combat? tank more? More in combat?
>>
Any good one-shots adventures you anons would recommend? I have no ideia what to DM saturday to my players.
>>
Should Monk have a d10 hitdie?
>>
>>52679869
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my 40d6 force Loremaster Meteor Swarm.
>>
>>52680983
D12
>>
>>52680983
>>52681045
d20

I've seen martial arts movies and kung fu apparently makes you fucking indestructible
>>
>>52681045
Even though that would be good I kinda feel like only the Barbarian should get that. d12 is basically only useful on the Barb anyway.

Really the +2 HP at level 1 and +1 every other level would mostly just be there to try and reduce the Monks need for CON because they already need to max DEX and WIS while trying to pick up the Mobile feat.
>>
>>52680983
>>52681045
>>52681051
Also, Mandatory Ladders to use in fights. Ladders play an important role in all Kung Fu fighting experts lives.
>>
What's your experience with dedicated grapplers? A waste of time or actually useful?
>>
>>52680905
I would love to go Drunken Master and refluff it, it's a shame it sucks though. The dodging after flurrying, increased movement, redirecting attacks, performance proficiency and all that are pretty much exactly what I want but they're just not very good.
>>
>>52681084
Should add, would I be better off just going moon druid and occasionally using the relevant forms when needed for big bosses? The team desperately needs some frontline and Barbarian and generic fighter could not be less attractive.
>>
>>52681101
I dont think theres a more efficient sack of meat than a moon druid.

If you wanted a more engaging frontliner why not paladin?
>>
>>52681101
Lore bards can get expertise in Athletics, use their inspiration dies to make enemies roll worse, can self buff to grow large.

They are excellent grapplers aside from not having a secnd attack (well, you can get a second attack by going valor), on top of being full casters.
>>
>>52681120
Fluff it as the bard dancing with the enemy. Sounds cool.
>>
>>52681120
We already have two wizards, a sorc, a 4 elements monk and a 2H Fighter, definitely don't need another caster. I'm currently going fighter till 11 with a single level in rogue early for the expertise athletics. Eldritch knight lets me pick up enlarge as well as the three attacks per turn + action surge.

>>52681119
I've never played a paladin before. What's an effective frontline build. Pally and Druid are both looking good since the group lacks healing in any shape or form.
>>
>>52681137
Its a martial anon, Take sentinel and call it a day.

Paladin does have spells to either actively coerce enemies to fight him or to shield an ally from harm which is pretty good.

Oath of ancients if youre afraid of enemy magic, devotion if your party cant save against charms for shit
>>
>>52681099
I've actually been thinking about how to buff Drunken Master. Would making the level 3 give you an extra Flurry of Blows attack and the level 6 being once per enemy fix it?
>>
>>52680825
Potato Au Gratin
>>
>>52680890
DMG36/37 has some stuff this, sort of.
>Levels 1-4: Local Heroes
>Levels 5-10: Heroes of the Realm
>Levels 11-16: Masters of the Realm
>Levels 17-20: Masters of the World

Not exactly what you're looking for, but at least it's a bit of something.
>>
>>52680847
Kraken
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4KB, 423x119px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4KB, 423x119px
Does anyone happen to have some maps for playing the Adventurers League modules (DDEX), specifically for the third season (Rage of Demons)? A lot of this stuff seems to be designed for use without a map but I really don't want to DM without one.
>>
>>52680983
>>52681045
>>52681051
d100
>>
>>52679251
It's what the rules say and people try to justify it anyway.

But really, it shouldn't happen, and players shouldn't know initiative at all until combat really starts. It's much more fluid to not demand initiative rolls for surprise at first anyway, in case it ends just like that.

>>52680022
You're already doing that. It's called concentration, and if you hit the spellcaster until they go to 0 you've successfully prevented the caster from doing those things.
>>
>>52681299
Too swingy, just make it 1d4+48
>>
>>52680626
>Dual-wielding
Play barbarogue, because barbarogue can actually dual-wield viably.
Or AT.
Or bladesinger, but fuck bladesinger.
>>
>>52681248
>Masters of the World
How many commoners with bows does it take to kill the average level 20 Fighter again?
>>
>>52681344
Define "average".

If it's not a shield+plate+defensive style fighter with the right feats, not that much.

If it is, something like 400, assuming no logistical issues, from what I remember.
>>
>>52681357
You could double that with heavy armor master
>>
>>52681370
I think that's included in "right feats".

Should have screenshot the post with the calculations... not that it'd help, I'm at work now.
>>
>>52681344
Depends on a number of factors, but if it's close combat where the commoners can grapple, shove, disarm and restrain etc etc then honestly you don't need a lot of commoners, especially considering a dex fighter can only deal 1 or 2 or 3 damage without a weapon.

On the other hand, a wizard will have an army of clones hiding in demiplanes, be able to anticipate attacks and be able to carpet-bomb commonerville.
>>
>>52681357
>>52681386
Actually, on second thought, a bunch of commoners could just kite a non-ranged fighter who doesn't have a stockpile of javelins at hand.
>>
>>52681084
In 5e grappling is piss poor compared to murdering the fuck out of the enemy.
>>
>>52681386
>>>52681357
>level 20 fighter leaves his party walks into evil commoner ville
>Gets ambushed
>spends hours hacking them down before he succumbs
>Wizard from fighters party hears about it
>walks to evil commonerville sees it on the horizon, a mile away
>summons meteors, turns the village to rubble in 6 seconds
>wizard questions why he thought the fighter was valuable to begin with
>>
>>52681438
He could have just wished the fighter back to life
>>
>>52681398
>Peasants run off with any thrown javelins
>At any time the fighter gets close, commoners banzai suicide rush him and each attempt to shove him prone until one succeeds, thus reducing his speed to 15ft that turn (action to attack, half movement to stand) instead of 60ft (Action to dash)

Alternatively, the peasants shove him prone and then shove him 5ft away every time before running away, leaving him >15ft away and preventing him from attacking without action surge (So he can action surge twice to kill up to 8 commoners) but otherwise, as long as he continues to fail contested strength checks, he'll be shovelocked forever without getting close. Especially easy if he doesn't have athletics proficiency.

Their athletics/acrobatics modifier can likely be either +5/+11. If +11, there's a 11% chance of success of grapple/shove. If +5, 26% chance of success.

>>52681424
>Preventing the enemy from moving and then shoving for advantage on all attacks, disadvantage on all their attacks, then very possibly being able to disarm them or restrict their somatic components
>Worse than just making an attack
Only if your DM doesn't allow logical actions during grappling such as disarming opponents, or if your attacks are really strong, or if the enemy was really weak.
There are some circumstances it's brilliant, especially in many versus one scenarios.

>>52681084
Play barbarogue, and even then, they aren't a 'dedicated' grappler. They're just great at it.
>>
>>52681447
Nah, he's spending the wishes on clones of himself instead.
>>
>>52681101
Moon Druid in the form of: Giant Octopus+Longstrider, Giant Constrictor Snake, Giant Scorpion, and Giant Alligator can grapple *and* do damage. Remember that escape difficulty is based on the wildshapes' attack and not your STR+Athletics check. Moon Druids are the best grapplers.

Take V.Human with Sentinel, Max CON and WIS, 14 in either DEX or CHA, Warcaster at 4th, Resilient (CON) at 8th.

In combat:

1) Cast a concentration spell like Flaming Sphere, Conjure Animals, Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental, Conjure Fey, etc. Conjures are so good it forces the enemy to attack your bottomless supply of Wildshape hp just to force Concentration checks.

2) Bonus action wildshape and get up close and personal with the enemy. Have someone squishy who does lots of damage (rogue or monk) ride your wildshape and use Sentinel Feat to defend them.

3) Make all your Concentration checks with advantage thanks to Warcaster. And get a bigger bonus once you get Resilient (CON).
>>
>>52681447
Why bother?
You don't need him for anything, and it'd be a mild inconvenience if he tries to murder you. I mean, sure, he 'might' succeed with his friends, once. And then your clone comes back and kills him and wonders why you ever revived him.

Actually, yeah, revive the fighter and then use various spells on him to ensure he does all your labour for you.
>>
>>52681497
Honestly, druids are more OP than bards or wizards.

Two wildshapes a short rest. That's likely one every combat.
>>
>>52681517
That's exactly one every combat if you consider the encounter guidelines.

Meanwhile barbarians have rages/day.

There's no justice for martials in Mearls D&D.
>>
>>52681517
>the level 6 druid can turn into a cr2 polar bear

So OP my dude. Moon druids start off busted and taper hard.

Well, i suppose they never stop being impossible to kill.
>>
>>52681531
>42 free hitpoints as a bonus action every combat at level 6
>Has a pretty decent multiattack
>Has a +5 str mod for athletical shit
>40ft speed, 30ft swim speed
>Can continue using some abilities/concentrating while bear
>Large, to get in the enemy's way

It would be justified if they were completely useless in bear form, but they aren't.
>>
Is the accusation that 5e is bland and boring and its rules aren't as well written as it should be justified?
>>
>>52681696
Not really bland at all and the rules have a few weird things that in the first printing but the other printings are all pretty good.

Surprise, Magic Missile and Twinned Spell metamagic are the three things I see arguments about the most and you can google the official rulings.
>>
>>52681603
With like 11 AC

Its not like a moon druid is that great outside of polymorph, especially since they tend to burn their spell slots healing the current form they have.

Hell, in another level the land druid can get 160 free health and two 3d10+6 attacks
>>
>>52681758
>especially since they tend to burn their spell slots healing the current form they have.
>Casting during beast shape
???
>>
>>52681344
You know that scene at the end of Hero? It's a start.
>>
>>52681767
Moon druids can sacrifice slots for HP.

It's generally a trap. You'd be a fucking idiot to sacrifice a daily resource for a short-rest one, but there you have it.

>>52681696
I agree with both, but would phrase it less bad sounding.

Bring back Warlord. Natural language is cancer.
>>
>>52681767
"Additionally, while you are transformed by Wild Shape, you can use a bonus action to expend one spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of the spell slot expended."
>>
>>52681791
>Moon druids can sacrifice slots for HP.
Ah. Forgot about that. A trap indeed.
>>
>>52681730
What was the issue with surprise, magic missile and twinned spell?

>>52681791
>but would phrase it less bad sounding
??how do you mean?
What is the issue with natural language wording of rules?
>>
>>52680847
Kuo-toa and Sahuagin are the low-level mooks of aquatic areas. If you want a supremely difficult encounter to end it with, consider a Sea Hag. Otherwise, a Kuo-toa whip and a few assistants or a Sahuagin priestess with a couple of guards is a good boss encounter.
>>
I'm using the Downtime rules in my next game and had a question from a player.

With the activities that require a skill check can they use class, race and feat features to effect them? Like the Lucky feat, a Barbarians Rage and a Favored Souls +2d4?
>>
>>52681828
Thanks! I'll look those up

>>52681282
That might be a bit too much for them.
>>
>>52681815
>What is the issue with natural language wording of rules?

Basically half of sage advice is because of natural language.

Also, it wastes/pads space and obfuscates mechanics.
>>
>>52681517
>anime pedo shit
>likes druids
checks out
>>
File: 1466572259994.jpg (33KB, 432x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466572259994.jpg
33KB, 432x480px
>>52681456
So much bullshit
Commoners have 4 hp and 10 AC.
A high level fighter could kill one by throwing a rock off the ground (improvised weapon, 1d4) and has a fair chance of murdering one with a single throw even at medium to low levels, with disadvantage. Not to mention opportunity attacks, action surge dash ect. On top of that, EK and Battlemaster have huge toolboxes to work with, and god forbid they are facing a high level Champion, that guy could whittle down an army thanks to his regen.

>>52681499
Why bother? Dude, have you ever played this game? I've seen casters burn out on spell slots more times then I can count and sucking dick for a rest.
>b-b-but you should have been able to rest no problem! thats not how the game should be played!

People who think there is no need for martials as a caster are fucking retarded who are coddled by their DM's because they are autist babies who probably run crying from a table if they don't get their beauty sleep. Pathetic.
I play a caster constantly, and there are plenty of times you don't GET to sleep, because the monsters are at the door, and can chase you to the ends of the earth because they have the same scrying and magic you do, and every long rest you eck out is a bloody miracle. The wizard who has no respect for martials loses his spellbook to the one who does, time and time again.
Fite me you pathetic pussy caster bitch, I'll turn you into a frog while my fighter dwarf buddy fucks you in the mouth and jizzes down your gullet.
You pansy faggot little nigger bitch, check
>pic related
It's you
>>
>>52681829
Yeah, I think so. But they won't get it back until after a long rest. You should probably limit it to once a week in a downtime setting.
>>
>>52681815
Some people accidently thought there was still suprise rounds and and autist came along with and insulted them and they argued back. Everyone was fucking retarded because it's quite clear in the book how it works, people just didn't read it.

Magic Missile uses the same damage die on every missile. So if you have "+5 damage on spells" and use Magic Missile to shoot three darts it does (1d4+1+5)*3, not 3d4+3+5. People always get argumentative about it even though the ruling is very clear.

Twinned Spell had issue with the "One target" thing. Basically it doesn't matter if the spell says it's cast at "A target creature", if it ever effects more then that creature it can't be twinned. Ice Knife was the one people argued about.
>>
>>52681874
And greenflame blade gets argued too.
>>
>>52681866
That's what I thought. Also downtime really gives the Skill Monky's a boost, one player who always played casters wants to try a Rogue just because he wants to try and rob every town they pass.
>>
>>52681791
>>52681815
>>52681843
Is it just me or is the wording using natural language sometimes worded really awkwardly?
>>
>>52681929
>Is it just me or is the wording using natural language sometimes worded really awkwardly?

Yes. It's trying to tippy-toe around sounding like a rules element.

>You can use this feature again after you finish a short or long rest

SAY IT'S A FUCKING ENCOUNTER POWER

SAY IT!
>>
>>52681946
It's not though. You don't always have a rest between every encounter, in fact you rarely do.

If anything it should be... a rest power? I guess?
>>
>>52681456
>barbarogue
How's this one work?
>>
>>52681956
You should have a short rest every 2 encounters. That's... half your encounters.

But sure, "short rest power" is good too.
>>
Does anyone have any ideas for a Abyssal Tiefling Dragon Sorcerer? Yes this is just about me wanting a large HP.

>>52681978
Short rest power is decent. I think the word power triggers people though and WotC doesn't want to piss off it's customers because that's bad for business.
>>
HOLY SHIT ORCS ARE STRONG

I ran a simulation of an orc fighting a conga line of commoners, and the orc was able to cut down 9 of them and knock out 3 before dying.

So with that said, why haven't orcs taken over any small towns in YOUR game, /5eg/?
>>
>>52681892
I looked through the UAdowntime stuff and it's really just a guideline of things to follow if you can't think of anything on your own for managing the time players spend in towns, villages or cities. I basically just ask my players how long they want to stay in town for and what they want to do during that time. They'll visit shops, acquire or progress on quests, rest and every so often I throw in a random event like a fight in the tavern or they notice a thief and little things like that.
>>
>>52682009
Too bad the Orc player race is complete fucking ass. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to give them a minus 2 to a stat benefits that are equaled by other races or out done in half-elves should kill themselves.
>>
>>52682009
Because commoners arent the ones fighting the orcs
>>
>>52682021
Easiest way to fix Orcs is to give them Savage Attacks like half-orcs, and make the Int penalty -1 instead of -2. It balances them out to being a slightly worse choice than half-orcs, but not horrible.
>>
>>52682046
Savage attacks and a +2 to con would make them a worthwhile pick.
>>
>>52679897
>barbrogue is go
>>
>>52682022
If not commoners, who lives in a small town?
>>
Would a Bugbear PC using a lance work out?
>>
>>52682076
Yes

t. 5 months ago
>>
>>52682067
You're now aware that a barbrogue could already just fuck shit up using Str with a rapier.
>>
>>52681958
I'm quite interested in what the major benefits of this are as well. Whenever I think about multiclassing with rogue I get sad about lost SA damage.
>>
>>52682070
Guards, small-time adventurer types, acolytes and priests etc...
>>52682093
You know you can SA with strength right? You just need to be using a finesse weapon.
>>
>>52682070
A small town would not exist on the border of territory, if they did then the local ruler would have guardsman or soldiers living there to protect his interests
>>
>>52682103
>You know you can SA with strength right? You just need to be using a finesse weapon.
Yes, I'm talking about the die.
>>
>>52681990
If all you want is HP, consider taking the Toughness feat. Between that and your extra points from this particular class and race combo, you should be good to go.
>>
>>52682103
>>52682113

Okay, so let's say that you have a town of 1000 people. How many people in that town are going to be commoners? 800? 900? A force of 100 orcs would absolutely crush the town.
>>
>>52679897
It would be stronger than other options, could go shirtless rapier+shield (holy shit this needs to become a fighting style tho, it's so pirate balance 'arrrdly matters) for top of the line AC, damage, and rage damage boost and reduction.
But that's not the real problem, it would take away from Str, and make it even more of a dump stat.
Right now, who uses Str? GWMs, Polearm Masters, Barbarians, Warlocks if they want their smites?
>>
>>52682089
>t. 5 months ago
?
>>
Are the playable races from VGTM any good?

Any notable standouts for being exceptionally good or bad?
>>
>>52682170
Bugbear for good

orc for bad
>>
>>52682170
Aasimar for good

kobold for bad
>>
>>52682170
Aasimar and Tabaxi are great.
>>
>>52682170
I like goliaths.
>>
>>52680983
A d10 is best.

>>52681045
A d12 seems reasonable from the lore perspective.

Neither unbalanced because monks simply don't get to invest into CON.
>>
>>52682090
And now they get better AC senpai.
>>
>>52682119

In a settlement of 1000 people, I would argue that about half of them would be Veterans, devoted to the defense of the town. There would probably be at least 1 high level cleric for resurrection purposes, and at least 10 fighters of 8th level or higher.

So there's probably about 400 commoners in a town of 1000.
>>
File: Taboo-clip-pic-_james_delaney.jpg (40KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Taboo-clip-pic-_james_delaney.jpg
40KB, 720x480px
What class, race, background and weapons would I choose to play as James Delaney from Taboo?
>>
Reposting from a little while ago. Rate my magic items for my group.

Claw, magical damage. Can be used as a ring of jumping. Can pounce on targets that you are hidden from or haven't acted yet in combat dealing 2d6 with an athletics contest to knock prone. Designed for a twf barbarian

Cloak that allows you to cast mansion/rope trick/something once a day to bring your party to a static travelers tent with minimal accommodations. Has no way to see outside, the portal is invisible but anyone can enter.
>>
Does anyone have the latest version of the mpmb's automated character sheet?
>>
>>52681035
>Force
>Not superior Radiant

Radiant is better than force in 5E.
Force is not resisted or vulnerable to things, although there is something imune.
Radiant only has a few things vulnerable to it but also only a few things that resist it, which you most likely won't be fighting anyway due to them being good aligned. Although there aren't many things vulnerable to Radiant damage, many enemies have extra effects where they are held back if they take Radiant damage.
>>
Is Portent wizard fun to play? I like the idea of forcing a something to fail a banishment/polymorph save.
>>
>>52682333
Plus Radiant Meteor's just plain awesome to think about.
>>
>>52682339
I DM for a portent wizard. It's definitely very fun to DM.
>portent wizard shits on my monsters' initative
>portent wizard saves everyone by screwing with the important persuasion roll against an ancient dragon
and
>hand accidentally hits dice and they begin to roll
>portent wizard says "whatever you're rolling for, it's a 2"
>>
>>52682396
Loremasters rename their spell variants right?
So instead of Meteor Swarm it could be something like Starfall.
>>
>>52682436
If they nerfed it a little and changed it's metamagic 2.0 feature then I would love to play one. It really captures the "I'm a fucking Wizard" feeling that they should have and even encourages that attitude.
>>
>>52682278
Barbarian with Noble background. Delaney was able to get away with using knives and his fists because he never fought anything tougher than a Thug.
>>
Is using Mass Suggestion to make a bunch of people kneel down and cry at their hopelessness reasonable? We're breaking into a guys castle next session and already know that his Saferoom's full of guards.

Thought that would be a cool thing to do as an Enchanter.
>>
Fun battles time

Warlock 2/Sorcerer 3 eldritch blast spam vs V.Human Bow Fighter 5 2 attack action surge spam
Who wins and why?
>>
>>52682495
Whoever gets the higher initiative.
>>
>>52682495
Fighter, probably.
>>
>>52682530
Thoughts on the new Fighter subclasses?

Arcane Archer looks like it could be a lot of fun. I'm wondering how useful dipping into rogue for 3 levels for Assassin would be with it. I've never been a fan of crossbows, and I'm glad to see bows getting some proper love. Full 20 levels into it is looking pretty damn good also.
>>
>>52682538
>>52682530
I don't know why I replied to you, sorry.
>>
>>52680022
Unquestionably no, that's bullshit.

>I cast Searing Ray at a martials hands to stop them from wielding anything
>I shoot him in the head for double damage!
>>
>>52680325
>>52679927
There are warlocks of certain evil gods, not sure if there are good gods that could count. Perhaps Corey could have fey warlocks.
>>
File: Doom plays Risk.jpg (224KB, 1252x666px) Image search: [Google]
Doom plays Risk.jpg
224KB, 1252x666px
If I wanted to run The Tomb Of Horrors from Tales From the Yawning Portal, what starting level should my party be, and how large?
>>
>>52682578
From even 1st level.
>>
>>52681035
>loremaster

Is there a more blatantly broken UA?
>>
>>52682276
>In a settlement of 1000 people, I would argue that about half of them would be Veterans, devoted to the defense of the town.

Is this trolling? Why would the majority of a large population be 9HD like that?
>>
>>52682538
Arcane Archer is weaksauce in the extreme.
Sharpshooter is stupidly broken. "huge amounts of bonus damage with zero drawback" is a shit idea for an archetype.
>>
File: 1489808572811.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1489808572811.gif
1MB, 480x270px
Is there any reason not to replace Feign Death with Animate Dead on the Undying warlock's expanded spell list? I don't play a cleric and we rarely have one at the table so I don't know what objection would be, but it fits thematically and seems fun.
>>
>>52682170
Yuan-ti are slightly broken.
>>
>>52682538
Arcane Archer lacks a better progression. Only 2 special shots per short rest is very limiting, especially considering that that's their whole schtick.
>>
>>52681045
>>52682235
Keep the d12 a barbarian thing.
>>
>>52682631
>Is there any reason not to replace Feign Death with Animate Dead on the Undying warlock's expanded spell list?

Animate dead becomes a 24 hour buff spell that stacks with itself on a 1 hour cooldown.

In other words, fucking skeleton armies.
>>
>>52682651
>In other words, fucking skeleton armies.
let's do it
>>
Which of the four elementals is more powerful overall?
>>
d12 should exclusively be for barbarians, but definitely bump the monk up to d10.
>>
File: Doomchild.jpg (29KB, 390x469px) Image search: [Google]
Doomchild.jpg
29KB, 390x469px
>>52682651
>>
>>52682672
>elf undying warlock
>spends only 4 hours sleeping
>spends 20 hours raising skeletons

They'll be a bit weaker than the Necromancer wizard's, but you get a LOT more of them.

BALANCE!
>>
>>52681084
Our Tavern Brawler (Fighter) often outdamaged the Paladin and obviously had superior control abilities, especially against casters. The damage part was purely the DM facilitating him though by allowing objects to do more than 1d4. Some shit he did:
>threw enemies into enemies
>threw guys through chandeliers and then the chandelier would fall and they'd take a bunch of damage, then everyone next to the impact would take a small AoE from bits of crystal flying everywhere
>chuck someone into a fireplace or furnace or oven and hold them there or slam the door on their ass repeatedly
>threw them out of the windows of towers or off a castle wall
>that thing from every martial arts movie where you use someone's face as a bar rag and run it through every object on a table
So grapplers can be really good if your DM isn't a little punk ass bitch.
>>
>>52682631
The only way this would work, unfortunately, is as an invocation or class feature.

>Undead Creator
Prerequisite: 5th level, (The Undying patron?)
You can cast animate dead once using a warlock spell slot. You can’t do so again until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>52682631
>cast animate dead twice every hour
Yeah, I don't think animate dead on short rest spell slots is a good idea. The warlock spell list sucks for a reason.
>>
Bumping Monk to d10 HD, bumping their damage die back up to playtest levels, letting them regain ki on a crit, and giving them a base feature that is similar to the Mobile feat would honestly fix them.

>>52682703
Oh yea that would work.
>>
>>52682631
Once you get to level 11 you're gonna open a whole lotta issues with it. level 6 Animate Dead can control 10 skeles. You only need to rest for 4 hours as an elf so then you can have (in theory) 600 skeletons a day.

Think about that.
>>
>>52682688
Earth, though water has incredible, one way restraint grapples.
>>
File: 1491666889096.png (305KB, 534x486px) Image search: [Google]
1491666889096.png
305KB, 534x486px
>>52682715
>Think about that.
>>
>>52682619
I didn't think Sharpshooters were that amazing to be honest. Aside from the powerful first ability they get, what's so special?
>>
File: 1491706885913.png (534KB, 654x618px) Image search: [Google]
1491706885913.png
534KB, 654x618px
>>52682700
>tfw playing a tavern brawler goliath using my racial "counts as large" for wielding heavier shit

I beat someone to death with their horse once
>>
Would a Mystic/Monk multiclass work out, based around abusing the Mystic utility plus the 2d8 they get on every hit?
>>
>>52682753
Yes, if you use shit not approved for multiclassing to be OP, you will be OP.
>>
>>52682696
>>52682715
>You only need to rest for 4 hours as an elf
Wrong. You only need to Trance for 4 hours and can stay awake during the other 4, but you still need to be relaxing in order to gain the benefits of a long rest.
>>
>>52682776
He didn't say anything about taking a long rest, that's just to avoid penalties.
>>
>>52682737
Combine it with Sharpshooter (feat) and you have a person who can do a retarded amount of burst damage three times per short rest and has other decent abilities that are better then a battlemasters high level ones. Also the skill and search as a bonus action are a nice touch.

If you want to be king of archery it's a very b=good choice and the battlemaster is better at levels 3-5 I think but sharpshooter blows it out after that.

>>52682753
Only works once per turn. It's exactly the same as what the cleric gets.

Plus Monk/Mystic is actually really shit and MAD. Soul Knife with refluffed knives into punches is a better idea.
>>
>>52681035
>Loremaster
...is never going to be released, since WoTC listened to the feedback and recognized that it was a mistake. War magic is your new loremaster.
>>
>>52682707
Necromancer-6/Warlock-5, Leadership feat to grant moar HP to the chosen six skellingtons.
>>
I want to play a character that can grapple dragons and lift boulders. Would Goliath BarBEARian be enough for this or is htere more I need to do?
>>
>>52682838
Go rogue for max memes, call yourself LARGON THE BEARBARIAN
>>
>>52682838
Duergar Primeval Guardian. Naturally can cast Enlarge after becoming a Large tree to be Huge sized.

Or a Goliath Primeval Guardian in a party with someone who can cast Enlarge.
>>
Wouldn't the best grappler still be just like bugbear barb 5/rogue 1
>>
>>52682883
Probably best to replace bugbear with duergar, if you're just wanting to go for da best
>>
>>52682883
Bugbear Primeval Guardian X/ Barbarian 1/ Rogue 1 I'd say. Though Primeval Guardian already increases reach so Bugbear might be better off as a Duergar.

Also you can turn invisible and be really sneaky. So that's a cool thing to note.
>>
>>52682748
>Plan on playing a Goliath

I might take that so atleast once I can beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker
>>
>>52682789
>level 6 Animate Dead
>on a warlock that can only cast one 6th level spell per long rest
Plus I think he doesn't realizes you can only take 1 long rest per 24-hour period, so no, you can't rest 4 hours, cast, and repeat, not until 24 hours pass at least.
>>
>>52682931
Bugbear, Orc and Firbolg all also do it. Bugbear being the quite superior race of the lot, Firbolg is the second best.
>>
I miss 4e
>>
File: 1490941107686.jpg (19KB, 484x429px) Image search: [Google]
1490941107686.jpg
19KB, 484x429px
>>52682965
>>
A wealthy society has managed to mass-produce magic weapons, and provides one to each household (kinda like how Switzerland gives an assault rifle to everyone who completes their mandatory military service).

Each of these weapons has some sort of modest bonus, but also have some sort of "safeguard" against being turned on the ruling class. I haven't decided on the bonus, it could be a straight +1 or granting some Battle Master-like ability, but the penalty is going to be disadvantage on certain attacks, maybe attacks on people of royal blood, or people who have recently sworn loyalty to the crown, or people bearing certain other magic items.

The penalty is basically a secret. I expect the entire party to be like, "Oh, we're drowning in magic weapons! Sweet! We can even give the wizard one!" And they never find out about the penalty until they're mid-fight with one of the head baddies. Even then their only clue is that they keep rolling with disadvantage while the asshole smirks at them. Is that kind of unfair?
>>
File: 1489520830531.jpg (42KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489520830531.jpg
42KB, 600x800px
>>52682965
It's ok bait have this as a consolation prize
>>
Hey, I'm kinda new to DnD and I wanted to make sure what I made is viable.

I made a goblin (using the stats from Volo's Guide) beastmaster ranger with a wolf companion, and I'm specializing in Archery. I'm currently level 4. I'm mostly putting my stats into Dex (started at 17, is now 18 because of ASI), followed by Constitution (started at 15, now 16) and Wisdom (13). I put ok scores into Strength (11) and Int (10), and Charisma is kinda a dump stat at 9. Did I pick anything underpowered or wonky by mistake? Is the Hunter archetype better than BM?
>>
>>52682982
Lame
>>
>>52682993
Depends if you are using the revised ranger or not, if you're using the revised ranger and it's working out shouldn't really have any issue if not then God speed.
>>
>>52682761
Because Warlock dip isn't overpowered for any class in the world. But God forbid shit that will be not be updated when released. Especially since the friendo here thought 2d8 are for each attack, while the Potent Psionic Feature specifies "Once per turn on your turns". Moreso, it would be Mad (Dex/Con/Wis/Int). Multiclass is an optional rule anyways, so you need to check with DM. And if said DM isn't spineless, it will not make last OPness.
>>
>>52682982
>are cursed items that can't even hurt you okay
Obviously.
A Paladin in my game got stuck with using a shitty cursed dagger because they got greedy, they learned to be more careful.
>>
>>52682982
>>52682999

Aw man. What if he made some cryptic remark like, "You think you can use the master's tools to demolish the master's house?" Or "You can't hope to defeat me with my servants' weapons?"
>>
>>52683021
>Warlock dip
>Still not acknowledging the whole do not multiclass UA material

Yes multiclassing makes some pretty ridiculous combos and it's something you are even warned about in the section. However blatantly ignoring the whole do not multiclass UA is still grounds for being called an idiot.
>>
Thinking of making a Wood Elf Sharpshooter and dipping 3 into Thief. Mostly for speed, climbing, jumping and stealth.

Is it worth it or not really?

>inb4 no multiclassing UA because we have fun allowing it at out table.
>>
>>52682495
Warlock, Quickened Eldritch Blast, Hex
Turn One: +6/+6 (12) 1d10+3+1d6
Turn 2+: +6/+6/+6/+6 (12) 1d10+3+1d6

Archer Battlemaster, Action Surge, Sharoshooter Feat, Extra Attack, Giant Snake Venom, +1 Longbow
Turn One:+5/+5/+5/+5 (31.75) 2d8+15+Menacing Attack+3d6poison/CON10/half
Turn Two: +5/+5 (31.75) 2d8+15+Menacing Attack+3d6poison/CON10/half

They each shoot at one of a pair of identical twin Kender Barbarians with AC16 and 100hp. The Sorclock does 39.6 damage over two turns. The Archer does 95.25 in two turns. Regretfully both Kender survive to turn three.

NOTE: The Warlock cannot twin the EB because at 5th character level it can target more than one creature. Hex and Quicken Spell both require bonus action and thus cannot both be used on turn one.
>>
>>52682838
Goliath Tavern Brawler Barbarogue (for Athletics expertise) is probably the best possible way to do it.
>>
>>52683056
You seem like you've made up your mind already
>>
>>52683058
Neither Kender rage so they don't resist any damage, which is magical anyway.
>>
>>52682797
If not Monk then what would you suggest as a multi-class for Mystic? I'm in love with the class as is, especially the immortal route, but the last 5 levels look pretty mediocre for it.

For context, our DM is putting us through an absolute meatgrinder campaign he wrote up where we all start at level 15, he's encouraged us to use whatever material we can, including allowing UA and UA multiclasses.
>>
>>52682838
Mystics get advantage on athletics checks and can improve their size up to huge.
>>
>>52683094
Barbarian for damage resistance I guess.
>>
>>52683094
Barbarian zealot 14+ Adaptive Body focus

>ME NEVER DIE.
>BECAUSE ME ANGRY REEEEEE
>>
>>52682907
Doesn't the 5movement on primeval totally gimp it for grapplers?

>>52682957
Why Bugbear?
>>
>>52682170
They're... a mixed bag.

No problems imo with:
Goblins (<3)
Firbolgs
Tritons
Tabaxi (setting aside the furry meme)
Bugbears (maybe a bit more powerful than necessary, but they're fun)
Kenku
Goliaths

These races are kinda wonky, but could work well with a few changes/at the very least don't harm much:
Lizardfolk (too much going on for them statwise imo, and their feeding frenzy ability doesn't fit with the two or three pages of flavor text about how calculating, pragmatic, and not prone to things like rage they are)
Orcs (no real problems imo, but they're kinda weak compared to half orcs - I'd have no problems with letting someone add a few half orc traits for an orc at my table)
Hobgoblins (nothing really wrong with them, but they're a little bit boring stat and gameplay wise, and the Save Face ability could be switched out for something more hobgoblin-ish)
Aasimar (I don't have much of a problem with them. They're a bit powerful, but that's not too big an issue).

These need a serious overhaul before I'd consider them:
Yuan-Ti Pureblood (holy SHIT these guys are overpowered. It's like a first timer's attempt at making a homebrew race that somehow found its way into a licensed book)
Kobolds (I wanted to like them, I really did. But they gave them really powerful stats and racials, and tried to offset that with heavy detriments in strength - that don't affect much, since Str is kinda a dump stat and you wouldn't be trying making a kobold barbarian viable or anything anyway - and they have Drow-like sunlight sensitivity. It didn't work too well, imo)
>>
>>52682797
>Combine it with Sharpshooter (feat)

Isn't that better with Rogue (Scout)? Get retarded mobility with all the good stuff from the Sharpshooter fighter. Plus sneak attack.
>>
>>52681497

Reminder that if you go protector Aasimar you can do all this *and* be flying with Radiant Soul once every day
>>
>>52683103
That works pretty well actually, 5 points would give me the extra attack too. I assume sticking with a rapier would be recommended?

>>52683116
That's pretty good actually. I'm wanting to focus more on the mystic side than the Barbarian tho, ideally looking to keep 15 levels in mystic. Plus he would probably just send me to limbo somehow once he figured it out.
>>
>>52683058
Could any other class beat this fighter 1v1?
>>
>>52683275
>At 6th level, the divine power that fuels your rage can shield you from harm. If you fail a saving throw while raging, you can instead succeed on that saving throw as a reaction. However, doing so immediately ends your rage, and you can’t rage again until you finish a short or long rest.

SUCK MY HOLY DICK REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52683300
forcecage
>>
I just realised the Shillelagh using your casting stat is optional.

So if I were to acquire this on a Hexblade through Magic Initiate or multiclassing UA and have PAM I could make 3 1d8+1d6+Charismax2 Attacks?=
>>
>>52682838
What if instead I played a Goliath Bard with Tavern Brawler? I can cast enlarge person, get expertise and other such things. I could even RP him like a professional wrestler.

Could I get away with a dip in Barb for the advantage?
>>
>>52683361
Enlarge already gives you the advantage.

Eldritch knight with 1 point in rogue is the best option. Let's you grapple, shove and pummel in a single turn, two targets at once if you desperately need to. The super high amount of ASI's also lets you take a bunch of great feats for grappling (tavern, war caster(to keep your enlarge up), ect). Eldritch gets Enlarge at 8.
>>
>>52683318
>Forcecage - 100ft range
>Longbow - 600ft range
Try again.
>>
>>52683318
Range, Bow Ranger has higher initiative and any Fighter who doesn't pick up Alert before Forcecage must like dying.
>>
>>52683424
No friend, all theoretical combat takes place in a 30x30 white room. Don't forget that.

Really I'm more concerned with the fact once they're trapped in the cage the wizard can't really do anything to them (as they're protected by the cage)
>>
>>52683103
This looks like a pretty cool build actually. What race would work for this?
>>
>>52683318
Why Forcecage?
Wall of Force does the exact same thing for a 5th level slot price, and they don't have teleportation
>>
>>52683350
What's preventing you from taking Tome so you can have CHA stick?
>>
>>52682276
Are you fucking me m8
>>
>>52683350
I don't get it. Then what's the point of taking Shillelagh?
>>
>running the Orc Invasion in SKT
>It's a huge unending slog
>Have to bail out the PCs by having Wood Elves show up almost immediately

Who thought this was a good idea at level 3?
>>
File: Hag_Coven_1.jpg (334KB, 960x752px) Image search: [Google]
Hag_Coven_1.jpg
334KB, 960x752px
Holy shit sometimes it's so much fun as a DM to just fly by the seat of your pants and go with whatever feels cool at the moment. I had my party meet a coven of green hags in disguise and they creeped the fuck out of my players.

I've never used hags before, so I'd like some advice. What are some fun things I can do with them, as my players are about to receive a quest from the hags?
>>
>>52683746
make them do things that seem either mundane or admirable but they serve a darker end. Put just a few things off or unexplained in the quest to give them that discomfort.
>>
>>52683746
Maybe they want you to collect ingredients for their ritual, take out a rival coven, acquire something for them they'll use to wreak havoc. Just some ideas
>>
>>52681035
40d6 with plus 2 to the DC INT save!

Evasion that you fucks
>>
>>52683424
well if your ambushing me id just shield then fly or teleport away or something. i mean if you arrange it so that you get every advantage including surprise then yes i suppose you could always win
but if we are facing eachother 30 feet away and combat starts, you are going to lose to the wizard
if a wizard has you forcecaged he could just leave
if he really wanted you dead i guess he could polymorph into something terrible and eat you
depending on levels he could just wish you away, then drop meteors on your hometown
>>
>>52683646
Having 1d8 on three attacks with a huge boost on damage coming from each attack and having a shield at the same time.

>>52683574
Because Hexblade already gives you that.

The idea is that Hexblade can do 2d8+1d4+3d6+3+12 at level 5 if they take PAM as a variant human. If they give up their first ASI for Magic Initiate then they can do 3d8+3d6+3+9

That's 36 Average damage without and 36 with but you also have +2 AC. Once you catch up in Charisma it's a boost of +2 damage, +2 AC, the Guidance Cantrip and a once per rest Druid spell.
>>
>>52683828
Right, but Hexblade is a patron, and Tome is a Pact. I assume you chose a different pact but you didn't really state that.
>>
>>52683853
Not him but what the fuck are you saying?
>>
>>52683871
Hexblade is a patron you choose at level 1. Tome is a pact you choose at level 3. You can have both, with Tome allowing you to get CHA-based Shillelagh along with Hexblade's CHA to weapon attacks.
>>
spells can pass through a wall of force??
>>
>>52683828
shillelagh doesnt change the damage of the bonus attack from polearm master

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/17/shillelagh-polearm-master-damage-with-a-staff-still-be-a-d4-or-would-it-be-a-d8/
>>
Quickly /5eg/, give me your most competent, non-meme 4 man party Names and a small description for each are welcome as well.
I'm gonna introduce them as competitors to the players. They are 5th level btw.
>>
Moon Druids seem OP as fuck. Conjure Animals for a giant herd/flock/whatever and then the shapeshift to make up for shit physical stats. The moon druid in our party essentially has 9 attacks per round.
>>
>>52683766
Like what exactly?

>>52683771
The hags have a neighboring clan of werevolves as enemies. They don't want them dead, though, instead they want to party to spike their water supply with some substance essentially a potion that will cast Geas upon anyone who drinks it, even if diluted.

But I feel like the hags would also want to harm the party in some way, but so far I have no ideas... Trying to use the MM text for inspiration:
>Green hags revel in the failings and tragedies of other creatures. They derive joy from bringing people low and seeing hope turn into despair, not just for individuals but also for whole nations.
>>
>>52683928
Not really. Maybe a spell like Chill Touch would work because you create a ghostly hand next to the target that touches them, but a fireball/lightning bolt etc. that travels from you to the target wouldn't work.

HOWEVER

I had a player who created a dome with the wall of force around an enemy (legal per the rules) but created it six inches or so off the ground, allowing him to fire spells under it but preventing the enemy from firing bows or throwing shit at him.
>>
>>52681344
>How many commoners with bows does it take to kill the average level 20 Fighter again?
Not enough in the world
Either the peasants are large enough to make a swarm where the action economy is now equal or the DM implements cleaving rules if he likes large groups of individuals.
>>
>>52681946
I bet there could be a market for a rewrite of class features in a more clear-cut fashion.
>>
>>52683706
Frankly since we were able to garner some warning the group I play with were set up to receive a siege in what was left of Nightstone.

Raise the bridge with some effort. Spell and Arrow to frustrate. Had time to break up some of the giant's rocks to make difficult terrain once we dropped the bridge on them, others pushed to make a bit of a choke point around the place.

And plans to fall back to the keep and destroy our makeshift bridge should we be overwhelmed.

We were not overwhelmed.
>>
>>52683962
Fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue
>>
>>52683997
>>52683746
The hags have a neighboring clan of werevolves as enemies. They don't want them dead, though, instead they want to party to spike their water supply with some substance essentially it's fucing silver so they all end up in a horrible, horrible time next morning

The reward is healing potions, they heal. However they also give you horrible, horrible nausea.
>>
>>52684042
>rogue
>not thief
caught the newfag right there
>>
>>52683962
>
>>52684042

Is the most universal party composition.

Personally id go with Oath of ancients paladin, Bear totem barbarian, ranger, land druid for a themed party
>>
>>52684082
Warcraft has overriden my use of classical fantasy class names. I struggled not to type warrior, priest, mage and rogue.
>>
>>52684082
I... what?
>>
File: the more you know.jpg (14KB, 600x150px) Image search: [Google]
the more you know.jpg
14KB, 600x150px
>>52684101
You see anon, in the older editions rogues were called thieves.
>>
How dangerous is a bandit captain to a group of 4 level 1s?
>>
>>52684010
That answer is dependent on two house rules. As written, if they had decent positioning, I'd say something like fifty archers could do it, fewer if the fighter wasn't fresh.
>>
>>52684138
As dangerous as you allow it to be.
>>
>>52684138
Perfect "end boss" for the bandit camp they're clearing for their first quest.
>>
>>52684082
>not calling out magic-user and fighting man
Who's the real newfag here?
>>
>>52684169
Cool. I'll throw one at the party for same said purpose
>>
>>52684154
The fighter is likely killing 8 of them their first turn (likely before they get a shot off) and then again the next.
>>
>>52683962
Take the archetypical fighter, cleric, magic-user, and thief party and jumble their composition a bit.
>Fighter
Bladesinger wizard, lots of constitution and a focus on abjuration spells for defense.
>Cleric
Lore bard with a specialization in spells that do healing and radiant damage.
>Magic-User
Battlemaster fighter who sets up lots of traps and utilizes maneuvers to debilitate and incapacitate foes.
>Thief
Moon druid, shifts into small unassuming forms to spy on others and steal things. Sows paranoia and works with the battlemaster to lure unsuspecting foes to their doom.
>>
>>52684170
Yo momma
>>
>>52684208
Depends where they're positioned. Are they just standing in the middle of a field with the front row <=30 yards away from the fighter? Are they using the battlements of a town wall? Is it difficult terrain like a swamp? Are they firing from a boat off the coast?
>>
>>52683997
>Like what exactly?

Not him, but I can see how it could work.

>hags say they long for personal items from their families
>one wants a teddy from their childhood, one their mother's ring, one a branch from their family garden to use as a walking stick
>seemsreasonable.jpg
>the teddy now belongs to another child having been sold when young, when the hag receives it, into the cauldron it goes, and a child's laughter is heard
>the hag puts on the mother's ring and croons over it, talking about how "it will be nice to see you again"
>the stick is from a poisonwood tree, the hag places it in the dirt and plants nearby begin to die as it takes root
>>
>>52683997
What alignment is the party?
>>
>>52684071
>that substance
lol why didn't I think of that?

The reward is showing the party a way out of the Feywild and back into the material plane, since they accidentally stumbled into a connection between the planes. The party never left the material, the hags lied in order to convince them to do their bidding. But they could throw those healing potions as a show of generosity.
>>
>>52684138
Going to be tough

15(17) AC is pretty steep and he kills even the parties front line in 3(two with 14 con fighter or not non-barbarian) attacks and gets those 3 attacks every turn. And the party is going to be spending quite a few turns chewing down that 65hp.

Really, it depends if one of your frontliners has heavy armor master and if the party hasnt used up their spell slots beforehand. If hes at the end of a dungeon id have him wounded, possibly from killing off a subordinate vying for his position or simply healing from an injury in his last raid
>>
>>52681456
>peasants run to shove
>dozens mowed down each round thanks to tunnel fighter
>>
>>52684266
Remember to make them heal, but uncomfortably so in a non-lethal but annoying way.

More like pranks
>>
>>52684154
>two house rules
Cleaving is but swarms aren't a house rule. They're a regular thing. Its up to the DM to make them, of course. But what DM would rather manage 20 different individual rats rather than one big swarm against a lvl 2 party. Comparatively, what DM would rather manage 50 different commoners rather than 5 big swarms against a party.
>>
>>52682310
It's for free in the DM's Guild
>>
>>52684257
2 LG, 2 CG, 1 CN (who's still a reasonably good guy, he just revels in violence)

>>52684238
All of that sounds great. Can't really use those ideas now because they're in the middle of wilderness but I'll try to use it as inspiration. Perhaps after the first quest the hags push a bit more and ask for these?

>>52684303
Annoying how? Like
>you heal, you are also poisoned for X rounds
>you heal, then make a Con save or you spend your action next turn retching and reeling, trying not to puke.
>>
>>52684436
that or just indigestion.

Also more like the second.
>>
>>52684436
>they're in the middle of wilderness

Have the hags' monsters follow them in their sleep. Whispers that hunt them as they go, walking in circles.

This makes me want to run a quest where a party get lost in a forest because they're cursed to wander in circles no matter which way they go.
>>
There's nothing I specifically need in my build right now, but I haven't picked out a race yet. Any recommendations for a generally good one to take? I thought about Variant Human, but lucky's the only feat I'd want to take and even then it's iffy. Ideally something with either a int, con or dex increase. I was thinking Yaun-Ti since the advantage on magic, poison immunity, int bonus and darkvision.
>>
>>52683058
The poison and up to 6 superiority dice seems to be really stacking it on the fighter, but the level 5 sor/lock only currently stocks up 3 sorcery points, so round 1 is hex, round 2 quicken, round 3 restore points, round 4 quicken, etc.
>>
>>52683058
The Warlock could do everything the Fighter does, and more
>Fey Warlock with Moonbow, Thirsting Blade, Superior Pact Weapon - loses on the Fighting Style, but can smite twice for 6d8.
>>
>>52684507
Variant human is vasty superior to literally every other race.
>>
>>52684687
I'd argue that bugbear and yuan rival it.
>>
>>52681958
Roguebarb can use barb reckless attack to sneak attack. Theres a tweet from crawford i think somewhere
>>
>>52684711
Nobody allows yuan ti.
>>
>>52684741
Nobody allows variant human either
>>
Is Observant a good feat?
>>
Speaking of hags, does anyone have a higher resolution of pic related? It's not in the mega.
>>
>>52684744
I do
Then again the people I DM for aren't going for 100% optimized power builds.
>>
>>52684744
You are wrong.
>>
>>52684762
Personally I think so, makes it harder for anything to sneak up and get the drop on you. Also helps if your trying to get information but don't want to get really close to hear people
>>
>>52683350
Well you can't make the PAM bonus action attack on the same turn that you use Hexblade's Curse or the Hex spell, and you can't do either of those on the same turn.

Taking three rounds to get your full DPR going is pretty shit since frontloaded damage is way more valuable than backloaded damage AND most fights are going to be halfway over in three rounds (or less if your party is competent).

So for that huge disadvantage you get...what? Some kinda okay damage with some kinda okay AC? Except you can't use the warlock smites or a heavy weapon or a bow so you're still shit compared to the Paladin with GWM or the Valor Bard with Swift Quiver and Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52684806
>>52684820
that was his point?
>>
>>52684713
If you have to use reckless to get sneak attack you're shit at the game desu
>>
anyone have any cool concepts for Arcana Cleric?
i want something better than "just a cleric of a god because" or librarian
>>
>>52684762
Yes, especially if you are a druid, cleric, bard or rogue. Training + high wisdom/expertise + observant will give you something like 16-22 passive perception at level 1, and it will keep going up as you level
>>
>>52684866
A cleric of a mostly-forgotten god known only to historians. One day he was like "Hey, you're one of like twenty people alive who remember my name, let's work together."
>>
File: Wrong.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>52684744
You are fake news.
>>
>>52684933
>>52684806
>>52684820
Its an alternative fact
>>
is variant human even worth it?
why trade 4 points for one perk now if you can trade 2 for a perk later?
>>
>>52684866
How about a witch hunter.

Gathering dangerous knowledge to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
Hunting outsiders who intrude upon this plane of existence.
Destroying cursed items.
Etc.

I preffer to start with a monk level to GISH like a motherfucker.
>>
So what's the verdict on UA Downtime?
>>
>>52684959
Humans still get 2 points
>>
>>52684959
The majority of the time you only really need points for 2 of your stats. V. Human allows you to go 16 main stat, 14/16 secondary stat, 14 con
>>
>>52684959
You only care about 3 stats tops. Why the fuck do I want +1 in INT and CHA for my fighter when I can get PAM at level 1?
>>
>>52684959
Some of the feats like Lucky, Polearm Mastery, Crossbow Expert, and even Resilience are just straight up better than most racial abilities or stat ups.
>>
>>52684097
10/10 would adventure with that party.

>>52683972
Can someone tell me how to deal with this?
>>
>>52685017
>Not playing a true jack of all trades bard with 14 11 14 14 14 14
>>
>>52681438
How the fuck does the level 20 fighter succumb to fucking commoners? What kind of retarded build does he have, and why didn't he have his equipment on him?
>>
>>52684981
martial crafting got cucked
>crafting a plate armor used to take 2 months
>now it's about 7 months
magic crafting got buffed
>ye old legendary item used to take 50 years to finish
>now it's a bit under 10
everything as expected
>>
File: 1483157360836.jpg (793KB, 827x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1483157360836.jpg
793KB, 827x1169px
>>52684912
i kind of like Azuth and will probobly be a cleric of him
>>52684960
i like this
lets keep the ball rolling
what types of monsters wronged me?
did a necromancers desecrate my dead family? did demons burn down my village?
>>
>>52685098
This is 5E son. Bounded accuracy.
>>
>>52685047
I wouldn't. Fucking hippies.
>>
>>52685079
>jack of ALL trades
>upping CON instead of DEX
>CON has no skills, DEX has 3
you even trying?
>>
>>52685119
How many commoners would it take to take him down? Three hundred?
>>
>>52685147
I got them mixed up. Meant 14 14 11 14 14 14
>>
>>52685171
Sure you did honey
>>
>>52685164
It was already discussed in thread

400 with appropriate feats.
>>
>>52684959
You trade 4 ASI points for a Feat and a Skill.

Variant Human is simply worth it because you get a feat early and you can still use your first ASI for your primary stat.

>>52685114
You were just a local kid training martial arts with your father when he was free from his guard duties.
One day your father was placed under a curse and was slowly dying.
The local temples didn't know what caused it.
You were allready geting pitty gazes from others knowing that you'll be an orphan soon.
A wandering Arcana Cleric heard about your fathers case and decided to investigate it.
Boom 10 minutes later he found the cursed ring that was causing this shit and patched your dad up.
You decided to join his temple after that being thankfull and impressed at how easily your father was rescued.
Come age 12 you joined the temple and learned.
You are now in your 20s roaming the lands looking for magical dangers that might befall the common man.

I preffer Up-beat backgrounds.
>>
Lv3 Fighter vs 8 Kobolds
Who would win?
What if it's a lv20 Fighter and they're a Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party?
>>
>>52684981

Smithing got cucked.

Scroll and potion crafting is entirely viable.

Purchase/sell mechanics for magic items is nicely laid out.

I'd say it's pretty good.
>>
>>52685119
Yeah sure. Those +2 to hit commoners will have fun times trying to hit AC20+ fighters that can fuck up 4 guys per turn, has on average almost 200 hp, and;
1. Regains 10 HP every single turn he gets
2. Walk away with a million AC because of evasive footwork
3. Just straight up teleport away.

Even 300 commoners wouldn't have even a small chance against a level 20 fighter with even slightly decent gear. Not to mention the fact that most fighters will probably skull fuck most opponents before they even get close, courtesy of sentinel. If you have tunnel fighter, they are pretty much fucked no matter what they do.
>>
>>52685106
Well it's unearthed ARCANA not unearthed "we'll copy dead systems like anima, dungeoncraft, gurps...".
>>
>>52681758
12 AC, but you can cast barkskin on yourself beforehand if you really want, I guess.

Low AC is their real weakness, which is particularly bad for 'attack and then save if hit' but otherwise the ability to have +42 HP every encounter at level 6, when a barbarian is expected to have if they have a +2 con modifier 12+2*6+7*5 = 59 HP total (though potential resistance) is crazy.

You can actually be tankier than a non-bear barbarian. And be a fully caster at the same time.
>>
>>52685249
Bows, anon. Theyre killing him with bows.
>>
>>52681958
>>52682093
Firstly, you add rage damage to every attack, even if it's a two-weapon-fighting bonus attack. If you use strength.
Secondly, you can uee rapier+shield and still do decent damage.
Thirdly, barbarian doesn't really gain a lot of damage after level 5, especially if they do things such as go dexterity.
Fourthly, to concur with above, high dexterity and con gives you high AC. Otherwise, use medium armour.
Fifth, two-weapon-fighting is not feat intensive at all, whereas if you want to be a good strength barbarian you should really be getting feats. So you can use your ASIs for dex/strength/con/whatever.
Sixth, if you go strength, you can reckless attack for sneak. Even if you go dexterity, you can reckless attack and the rage damage and advantage mitigates the fact you're using a lower stat instead of your higher stat, you're simply giving enemies advantage to hit you in exchange for sneak attack.
Seventh, uncanny dodge. You can halve damage already halved by your rage, or otherwise. Tankiness.
Seventh, evasion. Evasion + Danger sense = practical immunity to dex saves.
Eigth, you also start with con+str saves, which are great. You also start with 12 HP instead of 8 and get 1d12 hitdice for four levels instead of 1d8. Though you lose one skill starting barbarian.
Nineth, extra attack. An extra chance of landing sneak attack, or using a grapple or shove.
Tenth, rage also gives you advantage on grapple checks, synergizing with expertise in athletics.
Eleventh
>>
>>52682303
Bumpu
>>
>>52685321
Technically, commoners are only proficient with clubs.
>>
>>52685341
>>52681958
>>52682093
Eleventh, barbarian at level 5 gives you fast movement, which synergizes with cunning action.

Strength barbarian is good for feats and dealing raw damage with GWM+PAM+Sentinel and stopping enemies.
Dex barbarogue is good for being insanely tanky.
Strength barbarogue is good for decent damage and great grapples.
>>
File: 1473082538954.jpg (85KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1473082538954.jpg
85KB, 724x1024px
>>52685202
s'not bad
maybe an upbeat background will make me less of an edgelord
>>
>>52685370
They can still use bows though.
>>
>>52685370
Just give them a 2-hour lesson teaching how to use light crossbows
It's piss easy.
>>
Now that we're in auto sage land...
Monte Cook is a fucking hack who couldn't write a decent gta side quest much less a module for the granddaddy of all RPGs. I wouldn't trust him to write a first grade primer. Also I'm pretty sure he was born with a micropenis though I have no proof but his writing is so anemic and lifeless that's the only thing I can assume from it.
>>
>>52685047
>Can someone tell me how to deal with this?
Break his concentration. And most of all, have an implicit agreement that he should never pick the option for 8 creatures, in order to avoid taking too long on his turn.

>>52685321
If they did, that's a +0 to hit.
>>
>>52685370
Who cares?
You could have a -10 to hit with bows, it doesn't change the hit chance.

>>52685249
If you disallow UA content, there's no tunnel fighter, and peasants can just shove the fighter while endlessly kiting him, and the best he can do is action surge twice to kill 8 peasants.

That's not even considering the peasants could fuck with the terrain or anything of that manner to make it difficult as well as shoving.
>>
Everyone's telling me how good Variant humans are, but there's no feats that look attractive to me.
>>
>>52685370
Maybe he meant elven commoners....But those are allready halfway to their PC levels.
>>
>>52685465
>>52685370
Doesnt really matter ultimately. 400 peasants is going to get 20 crits on average

2d6x20

For one round, the fighter just cant chew through them fast enough
>>
>>52685476
Weapon feats are practically compulsory for martials, which means that variant human is far too good.

>Monk
Get mobile.
>AT rogue
Get mobile
>Swashbuckler
Get magic initiate
>Any rogue
Get crossbow expert
>strength barbarian
GWM, PAM, Sentinel, Shield master
>Fighter
GWM, PAM, Sentinel, Shield master, sharpshooter, crossbow expert
>Paladin
Get fucking PAM.
>Ranger
Get sharpshooter.
>>
>>52685476
GWM PAM Lucky Warcaster Resilient(CON) Crossbow Expert Sharpshooter Heavy Armor Master Magic Initiate Mobile
>>
>>52685519
>>Swashbuckler
>Get magic initiate

?
>>
File: 1458906363969.png (50KB, 350x362px) Image search: [Google]
1458906363969.png
50KB, 350x362px
>>52685519
>polearm master on paladin

Not to say they cant use it but of any martial paladins are the least impacted but it i feel. Your damage is all in smites so you might as well go sword and board

I wouldnt say shield master is compulsory even for a sword n' boarder either.
>>
>>52685580
booming blade I guess
>>
>>52685611
And abusing your familiar
>>
>>52685587
PAM gives an extra attack at little cost, allowing more smites per round and more opportunities to crit.
>>
>>52685519
What's so hot about mobile?
>>
>>52685587
>Paladin
>Doesn't use many bonus actions or reactions unless you try to take options that use them
>Bonus attack gives +1d4+STR damage, +1d8 if you have improved divine smite, +1 chance of smiting that could be a critical
>Reaction attack gives +1d10+STR damage + 1d8 if you have improved divine smite, +1 chance of smiting that could be a critical
PAM is more valuable on paladin than anyone else, really.

More smite chances is great if you want to burst, and the fact that each extra attack can potentially crit allows you to conserve more smites for critical hits.
Also, it's a fucking load of damage.
You normally make two attacks, but now you can make three or four.
Also as said, improved divine smite adds to every hit.
>>
>>52685587

I think the idea with PAM paladin is quarterstaff-and-board
>>
>>52685587
>more chances to crit and blow your smite slots
>improved divine smite adds one extra d8 as well
>plus that extra attack when they enter your reach, which gets that nice d8 too
>>
>>52685498
If you use the "hitting cover" rule, more commoners would hit each other than the fighter, and would have a 50% chance of dropping them. That would be pretty funny.
>>
>>52685321
In a city?

Right, can't imagine how he'll deal with that. Other than entering a house, sitting in a small cellar, and just constantly kill the few guys that can be within his field of vision at any given time.

Remember that in a small enclosed space, he can kill 4 guys, even the archer by the entrance, and just go straight back to his starting spot after attacking. He can split up his move.

If you can assume super optimal setup for 300 fucking peasants, which is extremely unlikely in the first place, then it is far more reasonable to assume the fighter is just fucking them by using simple as fuck tactics that completely destroy their shitty plan of making him a pin cushion.
>>
>>52685587
You can smite with your bonus action attack. You don't really have a good bonus action as a paladin otherwise.
>>
>>52685442
That's not how profeciencies work.
>>
>>52685580
As said, find familiar abuse / mage armour + booming blade + green flame blade. You can booming blade then move away from an enemy.
Usually worth it when you have advantage. Find familiar can net you advantage if you need it.

Also
>>52685519
Assassin
>Get alert

>>52685640
Monks are squishy, so mobile allows them to move out of melee range and thus not die.
Rogues are a little less squishy but can do the same.
Both rogues and monks can bonus action +speed move, which is invaluable.
AT rogue uses booming blade quite often, and autodisengage is great after using it.

It helps the enemies either not have anything in melee to hit or have only the tank to hit and it's great for kiting.
Don't be that guy who walks up against 5 tentacle monsters and goes down when it turns out taking on 5 tentacle monsters in melee is much worse than kiting or ranged attacks.
>>
>>52685689
Have you tried firing a crossbow? It's really easy
>>
>>52685733
Have you tried playing the game? It's really easy.
>>
>>52685689
Not having proficiency =/= not being able to use it.

If you train peasants for 2 hours on how to use a crossbow, they can use it.
They might not be proficient, but they can use it.

And you don't care about proficiency because +hit chance means nothing on peasant versus incredibly high AC.

Alchemist artificers are one of very, very few exceptions which can viably use something they're not proficient in - shields and heavy armour, though particularly shields way more than heavy armour because you can easily remove your shield.
>>
>>52685647
And you get the +1d4 if youre using it one handed?
>>
>>52685758

I don't see anything that says you don't
>>
>>52685647
>>52685642
>>52685587
Oh, I forgot that one.

>Why not sword and board?
Get PAM anyway for quarterstaff+duelling, and it's compatible with shillelagh. Does as much damage as a halberd and gives you +1 AC over halberd and defense, but harder to land reaction attacks due to 5ft reach meaning you can't just walk away after attacking. Great for 6 levels of bard or 3 levels of warlock, but you don't need shillelagh to make it work.

>>52685758
Apparently, according to the feat.
>>
>>52685745
I have. And in it I make sure it doesn't take the same time to become proficient with a light crossbow and, say, a longbow. Because that's stupid. But if you prefer it this way, that's up to you, you don't need to act like a giant faggot.
Unless it's in my bed, iykwim
>>
I'm a newbie DM. Any advice on how to coax players out of approaching things as just skill checks?
e.g.
>Player is confronted bandit and wants to tell bandit to back off
>I ask them "How do you tell the bandit to back off?"
>Player responds "I want to roll persuasion."
>>
>>52685661
>20th level tavern brawler fighter using commoners as both meat shields and weapons
Seems like the optimal strategy here.
>>
>>52685881
Players will usually pick the easiest method, which is usually combat. If you want it it to be a no-combat encounter put them up versus something they cant combat with damage.
>>
>>52685881
never let people declare a roll on something. You ask them what their character does and then you tell them whether they have to roll on it and which skill is required.
>>
>>52685580
Magic Initate warlock gives booming blade, eldritch blast and ARMOR OF AGATHYS or ARMS OF HADAR
>>
>>52685881
"the bandit is hostile and will be difficult Do you have any specific reason as to why he should fuck off?"

If they have a good reason then give them a bonus or advantage on persuasion.

Hell if its a really good reason then just auto succeed
>>
>>52685911
Imagine grinding bar-fights all the way to level 20
>>
>>52685640
Run up to a row of 3 enemies.
Attack each of them with one unarmed strike.
They can't use their reaction to attack you + the extra movement is great.
>>
>>52685961
Are there even enough bars in existence for that? Will the dude need to bide his time while the commoners rebuild so he can grow in power?
>>
>>52685881
I tell them
>Ok what do you say to persuade them, depending on what you say it will make he check easier or harder.

If a player of mine gives a really convincing argument as to why X should happen I won't even need a check the NPC will just go with it. If they just "I want to roll" then ok even if you get a nat 20 nothing is happening.

Another thing is to talk to them about this expectation first, all my players know this from the get go, the more effort you put in the more likely you are to succeed.
>>
can i use domain spells in higher slots or are they fixed?
>>
>>52685881
Just tell them you need to know what they are going to say. It doesn't have to be a word for word thing in character or anything, just ask them to give you an idea of what they are saying to persuade them. If they can't come up with a reason, don't let them roll it
>>
>>52683919
They don't stack.
>>
>>52686031
A domain spell is exactly the same as a normal spell you've memorised. The only difference is you always have it memorised.
>>
>>52680847
Reef shark
Sea spawn
Giant octopus
>>
>>52686049
According to?
>>
>>52685670
>you dont really have a good bonus action as a paldin

Excuse me? I thought paladins had TONS of good bonus actions.
>>
>>52686110
New thread
>>
>>52686131
You thought wrong
>>
>>52686131
Smite spells aren't as good as just spending the slot on divine smites.
>>
>>52685268
The difference in AC really makes a huge difference though. Of course the druid also has some nice spells to lead with or fall back on.
>>
>>52686131
Smite spells aren't as good as attacking to smite unless your targeting a weakness and Shield of Faith gets cast once, if at all, at the start of the fight.
>>
>>52685474
Shovong peasants are just putting themselves in range to be killed, which is what he wants, and all the bow users have disadvantage of the fighter is prone.
>>52685498
Making it 400 commoners per crit.

>Heavy Armor Master Champion sleeping theough a hail of arrows.
>>
>>52685748
I thought artificers had shield proficiency anyway. Medium armor and shields, aren't they?
>>
>>52685106
I think you mean "Martials got cucked"

To go from their 4e balance to 5e is just sad.
>>
>>52686088
According to the fact that you are using CHA to determine the attack and damage - NOT adding it to a bonus to your attack roll and damage. It's redundant; what you do gain is improving the damage die and making the weapon magical, but you aren't double dipping your stat with that combination.
>>
>>52684154
"A single arrow can fell the mightiest warrior. Boromir took many."
Thread posts: 391
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.