[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skill Systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1378099081140.jpg (55KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1378099081140.jpg
55KB, 640x640px
Working on some home brew, and I keep stumbling here. What are some skill systems that /tg/ thinks are worth the trouble of checking out, or might have something worth while to poach?

Pic mostly unrelated.
>>
>>52679470
Your pic needs to be interspliced with a picture of someone going "And?" and him replying "Exactly!"
>>
>>52679470
I hate to say it, but...
GURPS?

GURPS has problem with its defensive mechanics like parry, dodge and block, but its skill system is solid, its magic system is bonkers, and its original Vehicles sourcebook was pure hell, but you will learn a lot, if not occidentally, then incidently.
>>
>>52679578
Give me a quick rundown of basics? It was one system that I never tried, but I have a skill list pdf in front of me.
>>
>>52679470
What skill systems are you already familiar with?
>>
>>52679893
BRP, Cthulhu Tech, D&D, Fate and White Wolf
>>
>>52679552
No, it really, REALLY doesn't
>>
>>52679470
Chopping up a bunch of systems and frankensteining them together isn't really homebrew, and it's rarely a good idea.
>>
>>52679720
Literally hundreds of skills to choose from and they have two separate skills for programming computers and programming AI computers and you can be the greatest AI computer programmer in history and not have a single rank in default computer programming or even knowing how to use a computer
>>
>>52680313
>and not have a single rank in default computer programming or even knowing how to use a computer

Actually, AI programming requires Programming as a prereq, from what I remember from the last thread a GURPS hater got BTFO'd by GURPSfags.
>>
>>52679720
>>52680313
>you can be the greatest AI computer programmer in history and not have a single rank in default computer programming or even knowing how to use a computer

While this seems to be true, I think it gives the wrong impression.
There are skills that can use other skills as default.
Like:
>The Blacksmith skill is a "master" skill at low tech levels. It gives a default at -3 to Armoury skill for weapons, Jeweler defaults at -4, and Metallurgy at -8. A character interested in general metalwork and not just ironsmithy could easily pick these skills up from the Blacksmith default.

More on this here:
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/Roleplayer/Roleplayer22/Default.html
I just found it when looking to explain what I was thinking of.
This is part of GURPS skills that I like.
Some skills just default off your ability scores too.
>>
>>52680872
Another anon here, I just skimmed an article about it.
Programming doesn't technically require computer use.
It's design skill versus use skill.
Much in the same way I can talk about GURPS, but have yet to play it.

So there's that.
>>
>>52679552
Never write.
>>
>>52680872
If you're talking about the thread that I saw, the hater had four different computer skills that he said were completely unrelated and one of them actually turned out to be a prerequisite for one of the other skills.

The rest (including both programming skills) had no prerequisites and no defaults.

I also remember that for some reason the GURPSfag insisted that he didn't like GURPS but sure seemed eager to defend the fact that pushing someone is its own skill with no defaults.
>>
>>52679552
Please, and I mean this sincerely, listen to these anons:
>>52680007
>>52681246
>>
>>52679470
Personally, I like Whitewolf.

It's simple, expandable, and easily adjusted.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.