[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High Wisdom Bard? 5e D&D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: NtY4Gie.jpg (101KB, 355x451px) Image search: [Google]
NtY4Gie.jpg
101KB, 355x451px
Hey y'all, here's the sitch:

My DM pulled a switcheroo on all our PCs, and switched our highest chosen stats with our lowest chosen stats.

Unfortunately for my lovely Bard, this means pretty low (12) CHA, and relatively high (16) WIS as starting stats. My DEX is slightly better than STR, so I've got my bard using a crossbow as primary weapon, so that's not going too badly.

What I'd like to know is this:

Is there any possible way I can use a higher WIS score to my advantage? (taking Druid spells, etc etc) I'm unfamiliar with the rules of 5e, but anything would help.

I've already given most items in my Entertainer's Pack (disguise kits, costumes, etc) to my other party members who happened to get extremely high CHA scores, despite the fact they're a Monk/Fighter/etc, just to fill that role in the party somehow until I can get my CHA score up.

So in general, what I'm asking is, what would be the wisest way to level up this character? I'm assuming just to increase CHA when I can, as it affects spell attack, but if anyone who has more insight into 5e could help me out, it'd be much appreciated.

Also, because of this stat-switch, it seems like our character roles are changing from their original intent, which is pretty interesting. Our Druid has extremely high strength, so will probably be our bear-tank once she gets Wild Shape; is there any way I can use a high Wisdom score to assist the party? As a bard, I'm feeling a little bit more useless than I thought I would, because every time I try to do something typical of a "bard" archetype- Perform, Persuade, Deception, Disguise, etc etc, I fail miserably.

Not sure what role I can grow into, because right now it seems like "crossbow-and-dagger wielding hick who is very aware of the environmental surroundings and occasionally provides a couple of mediocre buffs once or twice per day"

I'm planning on playing this character throughout the whole campaign, and hopefully keep playing more campaigns with this group,
>>
>>52674734
Assuming you still have the chance to pick out skills and everything else, I would say to focus on making a Wis-focused Skill monkey. Take mostly supporting and buffing spells that aren't reliant on Charisma.
>>
>>52674734
your gm is a cunt
>>
Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd have complained loudly and then quit if the GM refused to allow my PC to switch back somehow (e.g. heading to a local temple to get the cleric to cast Lesser Restoration or Remove Curse). DnD 5e assumes that all the characters will have a 16 in their important scores, and it'll break pretty quickly if that assumption isn't met.
>>
If you can't fix it, quit this campaign, your character is gimped, and your GM likely has some sort of developmental disorder.

If for some reason you don't wanna quit, just fuck around until you get a level and go into a wisdom based class and retrain your level
>>
File: political discussion.png (150KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
political discussion.png
150KB, 700x615px
>>52674734
Bard has plenty of spells that don't make an attack or require a saving throw (avoid those btw), so pick spells like sleep and healing word. Focus on using skills and utility spells out of combat and the crossbow while in it. Think of it as a more musically inclined ranger or rouge.

Its kind of an asshole move but I guess I can see why your DM is doing this: to break you out of your comfort zone and forcing you to get creative, which you may well need since you seem upset that you cant do a "bard archetype" or fill your "party role".
>>
>>52674734
Fuck about till you build up 500 gold then go to a major city and buy the charisma equivalent of a Headband of Intellect, then never take it off.
>>
File: 1349670230596.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1349670230596.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>52674734
>I'm assuming just to increase CHA when I can,
I wouldn't throw bad after worse; you'll never catch up to where you need to be CHA wise, so don't.

> is there any way I can use a high Wisdom score to assist the party?
Make all the Spot checks. All of them.

>As a bard, I'm feeling a little bit more useless than I thought I would,
You're not playing a Bard anymore, that's why.

>Not sure what role I can grow into
Crossbow-and-dagger wielding hick sounds about right.

>I'm planning on playing this character throughout the whole campaign,
Until they die, at least.

Honestly disabuse yourself of the idea that you are "The Bard." You're not. You're now playing "The Adventurer." Your magical focus should be healing/ buffing/ debuffing - anything that won't key majorly off of your abysmal CHA score. Take every skill that keys off of your good stats. Keep a social skill, but again you should be focused more on your new strengths instead of shoring up your obvious weakness. Your lack of additional attacks is going to be a problem for you down the road, and it's been awhile since I played 5e so I'm sorry if I'm not remembering this correctly, but at that point you should probably switch to throwing Disadvantage around anyway.

And remember, you can always start taking Cleric levels after 3.
>>
File: I Yam Disgustipated.jpg (30KB, 251x375px) Image search: [Google]
I Yam Disgustipated.jpg
30KB, 251x375px
>>52674734
>My DM pulled a switcheroo on all our PCs, and switched our highest chosen stats with our lowest chosen stats.
>>
>>52674734
Get every perception related feat, get expertise in perception, be the most aware person ever.
>>
Use your now useless bard classes to become a dragon disciple/melee buffed cleric, proceed to powergame.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.